Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 61/61
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Senna shoots Sam a dirty eye as he instantly agrees to whatever trouble they might have. We....uh...have a bit much on our own plate. But we can hear them out. Truth be told, we could use a few friends in town for our own troubles. But I cannot promise we can spend much time on it. Senna takes a small pause to gauge the room before adding:

How are the MINERS doing? I refuse to adress them as 'slaves'. This is not what they are nor what they should be referred to by the official guard of Baldur's Gate. she simply adds. Senna wasn't trying to be abrasive or assertive, but this distinction bugged her all the way here. And if that much time has passed, has there been a result in investigating where the Iron Poison came from? The best we could figure out that it was some sort of alchemical concoction and not magic. And an operation of that scale that does not originate from a wizard is bound to leave traces.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Pt3 IC

There's a marked silence as quills suddenly stop scratching at Senna's outburst, and the two otherwise unspoken guards stop their work to look up. Schael remains passive, tenting her fingers as she leans forward on her desk. "They weren't voluntary miners any more than they were voluntary slaves. Refer to them however you care to, but they were slaves, and now they are not. The word is appropriate. If you wish to submit a complaint you can file one at our compound on the western side of the city in writing." The scratching resumes. "Your other questions aren't my department. They tell me what I need to know, and no more. Right now, they told me to float a job offer. If solving the Iron Crisis was my department I wouldn't be sat here." If she's unhappy about that arrangement she doesn't show it.

"While Scar would have been prepared to meet you had you arrived earlier, he is now otherwise occupied. I will send word to him and he will find you when he's ready. Until then, enjoy the city, spend your coin, and stay out of trouble." She nods towards another door, one that presumably leads into the city proper as an effective dismissal, though she stops short of having you marched out - there's a chance to ask a question (one that hopefully she can answer) if you so wished.

Grepha sees nothing she wouldn't expect to spot, with little in the way of anything suspicious.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock/Bard | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 55/55 | AC: 13 HP: 23/23
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    --- | Raven Form, Invisible

Any dirty looks shot Sam's way are either unnoticed, or duly noted and ignored. Before they go he asks, the guardswoman, "If someone was looking to petition a claim to an abandoned frontier fort, where would they go?"

After the brief exchange, he heads through the guard station and out, at long last, into the city of Baldur's Gate. As hard as the times have been for it, the city and its vast unexplored pathways hold many wonders to explore. "First thing's first. Birthday shopping!" he announces, placing his hands on his hips. "Obviously that means we'll need to split up. Vala, could you stay with Cae so she's not alone in the big city? Oh-" "And a meeting place."

An invisible bird lands on his shoulder. "Before we go splitting up, the first thing we should do is figure out where we will be staying. I suggest avoiding tourist inns. They spike up the prices."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-10-31 at 12:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Schael raises half an eyebrow at the unusual query but quickly drops it back down again to a passive face. "A land petition would first have to go to a clerk at the ducal palace - depending on the size of the claim in question it might get raised up to the Grand Dukes, and their waiting list can be up to a month, though voluntary donations can get you in faster. It's the big keep in the centre of the city, you can't miss it."

The streets of Baldur's Gate are immensely busy, with a steady flow of trafffic only occasionally interrupted by someone walking the 'wrong' direction. The streets here seem relatively clean, perhaps owing to its proximity to the city entrance and wanting to put on a good impression. "A city this size you'll be spoiled for choice on where to stay. Think there's even some inns on boats in the harbour, if you want to be rocked to sleep by the sea." Vala says, with all the conviction of someone passing on sixth-hand information. "Couldn't hurt to dig up some rumours and street talk, see what the chatter is." She turns to peer at the city skyline, seeking a landmark. "Could meet up at the palace or...the tower?" She points at a tall thin tower towards the northern edge of the city. "Or the harbour?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #65

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

A month's wait time meant he'd better get it started soon. But soon doesn't have to be right this minute, with so many other things to take care of. "An inn-boat? I've never been on a boat before!" the novel prospect immediately has Sam perking up at the idea. "The harbor should be easy to meet up at, then, right? I mean you just go in one direction until you hit boats."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Being so quickly and expertly folded in her argument dampened Senna's enthusiasm enough so she shut up for the rest of the conversation. Outside, she just goes. Not very informative, that was. Anyhow, while I am anxious to split up, there is no surprise to be had if Caelyn knows her present beforehand, now does she? I'd still prefer if we at least made teams of two. We never were in the city, but teachings of Gorion and general common sense tells me we could run into trouble. How about we go together, Sam, while Caelyn and Vala go look for a nice boat-inn and prepare them for a party?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

With a wave, Vala and Caelyn head off towards the harbour in search of lodgings, leaving Sam and Senna to their shopping. There's market stalls galore, along with larger more permanent shops. Book shops, jewellery shops, magic shops, food, drink, woodworkers, leatherworkers, metalworkers, glassblowers and more - in a city this size you can find near anything, though finding it is also half of the battle. The other half is knowing what you want in the first place.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Standing before the market street (one of many, he's sure), Sam folds his arms and thinks to himself. "What would be a good gift for Cae? Something druidic? Not much of that around here... ooh, she does like drinking. Is that really something to encourage though?"

"I think I have an idea," Grepha speaks, unseen, from his shoulder as Sam deliberates indecisively. "Rosc Roche could use some proper care after our woodland expedition. Something to deal with ticks, or other parasites. They may have such a thing at the stables."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna chimes in. You are always so practical, you guys. I have something different planned but there is no reason we cannot get her both. I have never enchanted an item before, but my idea is a memento of us all. If she stumbles into nightmares again as we all do, she can pull it out and remind herself of us. Maybe a bit fancier, like with some magic glow at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something with the flower pendant from the Souvenirs list would be perfect honestly.
    Flower Pendant

Wondrous Item (Amulet), Common

These pendants are often sold to couples to commemorate an engagement or major anniversary milestones. As an action you can use the amulet's power to cast Protection from Good and Evil on yourself. Once the amulet's power has been used, it cannot be used again for 1d4 days.
    I highly doubt the spell effect would supress the dreams but she has something that does that already.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 54/54
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    7 / 7 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 3/3 3rd, 1/1 4th

Caelyn walks with Vala, and as she does she takes in EVERYTHING. The strange, the stinky, the amazing. The buildings were everywhere, and each one told a different story about the people and the work inside. "Are all cities like this? So disorganized? So loud with people?" Walking by a bit of open sewer pipe, Caelyn's amazement turns to concern. "The water here is... filthy. I think I'm beginning to feel a bit claustrophobic..."
    The Bear is Back.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

A quick inquiry around the area points you towards a set of stables near the main gate, ready to provide all sorts of services. It's a large and industrial operation, which is no surprise given that it seems to be the only business at this gate in town - no doubt they do a lot of work, and the owner appears to be doing very well for themselves if their bulging pockets, even more bulging belly, and bejewelled fingers are any indication.

Spoiler: Stables
    Show

The stables has any of the 'equipment' you might want, including barding, at standard prices.

They also have a fancy premium grooming kit for 100gp, guaranteed to last as long as your horse, or a cheaper one for 25gp, which is still guaranteed to last as long, but doesn't smell as nice.

On the off chance you want a horse, they also have a few donkeys, ponys, and riding horses available for purchase. Please don't create an animal stampede.

As for Senna's idea, the passersby point you towards a large, circular building with an ornate blue-glass top to it, which strikes you of being reminiscent of High Hedge in style. The shop - Sorcerous Sundries - serves as a one-stop-shop for magical items. Run by the eccentric Halbazzer Drin, and overseen by a conspicuous lack of visible security, the magically cooled interior nevertheless compels you to stay a while and browse the vast goods on offer.

Spoiler: Sorcerous Sundries
    Show

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show

Cantrips: 50gp. At least 3 of each kind available.
    1st level: 100gp. 1 of each spell is available, an additional one is available on a roll of 4 on a d4.
    2nd level: 350gp. Roll a d4, your desired spell is available on a 4.
    3rd level: 700gp. Roll a d6. Your desired spell is available on a 6.
    4th level: 3000gp. Roll a d10. Your desired spell is available on a 10.

Spoiler: Potions
    Show

Potions of Healing: 10 available (50gp).
    Uncommon: 150gp. D4=3 or 4 to see if one is available.
    Rare: 750gp. D6=6 to see if one is available..
    Very Rare: 3000gp. D10=10 to see if one is available.

Spoiler: Wands
    Show

Wand of Fireball - 8000gp.
    Wand of Lightning Bolts - 4500gp.
    Wand of Winter - 4500gp.
    Wand of Magic Missiles - 1000gp.
    Wand of Entangle - 500gp.
    Wand of Web - 750gp.

Spoiler: Wondrous Items
    Show

Common Items - Made to order, can be crafted for 100gp and 1 day of downtime.
    Alchemy Jug - 200gp.
    Bag of Holding - 500gp.
    Dust of Disappearance - 100gp.

He also has most spell components you might be interested in, for any spell of up to 6th level, and will buy magic items you're looking to offload.

On the way to the Harbour

Vala cuts a surprisingly aggressive path through the crowd for Caelyn to follow, though she curves off to stop at a small food vendor, purchasing two pastries, and tosses one to Caelyn. "All of them?" She scrunches her nose a bit. "Couldn't tell you. Elf cities might be different. Dwarf cities probably get less sun. Who knows what a kobold city might look like? But...for ones built by humans, of the ones I've seen? Yeah, mostly. The banners might change, the food might have a different herb or spice but they're all full of people trying to get by." She glances at a pair of beggars sat in the gutter filth at the side of the street, their hands held for alms while dozens of people stream past uncaring. "Some having an easier time of it than others.

Hot pastry in hand, hopefully helping to block out some of the stench, you leave the main market area and head south. The stench of raw sewage is slowly overpowered by the smell of the sea, although there's a notable pang of fishguts, decaying seaweed, and oil attached to the salty breeze. Opinions on if it is an improvement will differ. A quick enquiry with some locals points you two currently boat-inns - the Bloated Float, and Low Lantern. The former is more upscale, with a restaurant locals of money frequent, while the latter is more seedy - containing a festhall, gambling hall, and private cabins for men and women who wish to engage in discreet activities. Despite the latter's more rough reputation it prides itself on the security its patrons value. Vala, for her part, simply looks to Caelyn for her choice.

Spoiler: Rumours (for all)
    Show

You each catch snippets of people talking as you make your way through the city.

Sam: Lately, people have been noted as disappearing near sewer entrances.
    Senna: A set of extremely lifelike statues at the Splurging Sturgeon may be a petrified adventuring party.
    Caelyn: A consort in the Undercellar has somehow obtained the famed Cloak of Balduran.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-11-03 at 04:50 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #72

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Walking through the stables, Sam looks through the goods. Naturally, his eyes are drawn to the shiniest kit, with the heftiest price tag. Not that it's terribly expensive for their current budget. Grepha, used to ostentatious shows of wealth, pays little mind to the affluent proprietor or the expensive purchase. It should be quality, at least, the imp communicates silently.

After purchasing the kit and stowing it in his backpack, Sam strolls back out onto the market street.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Purchasing a premium grooming kit for 100 gp. Tracked on loot doc.

"Well, we got your gift. Now let's find something from me," the half-dragon looks around and again finds himself with the conundrum of thinking of a good gift. It was intended to be a helpful suggestion, but... I do not mind getting her two gifts.

Alcohol probably wasn't the best option, they'd likely be drinking at whatever inn they stayed at anyways. Caelyn had always shown a desire to travel beyond the Keep and see the world - even sneaking out regularly to explore. So Sam went looking for the bazaar, where all of the exotic foreign goods would be. Something interesting from far away might be just what he's looking for.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

The bazaar has items from across the Realms - spices from Calimshan, pottery and idols from Kara-Tur, magically grown and preserved fruits from Thay found (supposedly) nowhere else in the world, beautiful clothes from Cormyr, and fine elven wine and jewellery from Evermeet.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #74

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Browsing through the foreign goods, hawkers shouting at all angles, Sam considers what would be best. Caelyn would probably enjoy some of the elven wine from Evermeet, or... Girls like clothes, right?

Girls enjoy shopping for clothes. Picking out clothes for them, less so, Grepha examines the wares from her place hidden on his shoulder. It will be getting cold soon. If you intend to look for clothes, I suggest we all go shopping for winter wear instead. Her advice precise and practical as always.

In the end, he decides to purchase some fine wine for them to toast the occasion. It can't hurt to indulge a little on a day of celebration.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+5)[21] History to select a wine with a flavor Caelyn would enjoy.
    (1d20+5)[18] help from Grepha.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    7 / 7 d8 HD

Caelyn's face alternates between marveled awe and disturbed disgust as they moved through the city. She enjoyed the pastry purchased by Vala, and even more enjoyed the scents of spices and sauces from the dozens of other food stalls and vendors that they passed. "I can't help but feel that these people might do better if they... spread out? Moved into the countryside? It would certainly be more gentle on the land itself. I can't imagine what it is like below this city or in it's waters if the city itself is so filled with filth, offal, and... just trash!"

When they approached the harbor and Caelyn learned more of their options for a boat based in, she didn't waste much time in choosing the Low Lantern. She explained to Vala- "For one, it will be cheaper. For another, I think it will be more fun for a birthday party, and lastly, if their security is as good as rumored, maybe we will not have to deal with assassin's spoiling our breakfast. At this point I've come to expect unwelcome company, and having guards to deal with it sounds lovely."
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sam

After much deliberation, a bottle of fine Evermeet White Wanderwine sticks out to Sam - promising notes of tart pear, ginger spice, and enchanted honey. At a cost of a mere 150gp per magically chilled bottle, you're practically robbing coin from the vendor's pocket - or so they opine as they're packing it for you.

Vala, Caelyn

"Might even be able to pick up some coin plying my trade. Been a while since we could just stop and breathe. Can't say I'm a fan of losing two months of my life but if it means we don't have to sprint around at top speed all the time..." She lets the thought linger without finishing it as you climb up the (fixed) gangplank to the deck proper. There's little in the way of signage or any indication the ship is anything more than a docked vessel, but perhaps that is intentional, to avoid drawing undue attention. There's a few rough looking men dressed in sailing gear on deck, keeping watch, but one looks over the pair of you and simply nods, jerking his head towards and open door at his side, from which you can hear the undeniable sounds of entertainment.

Descending the initially darkened stairs you quickly emerge into a gambling hall, complete with a fully stocked and busy bar. Just at a glance you spot card and dice games being played, and one table appears to be engaged in a knife challenge of some sort. In the corner a man strums quietly on a lute, catching the most minor of scowls from Vala. There's a distinct air of adult baudiness to the place - it has the energy of the Friendly Arm Inn, though you can taste the seediness on the tip of your tongue.

And perhaps doing so will make you catch something.

"I'll find out about rooms," Vala offers, leaving Caelyn free to either sample the delights of this floor or descend further - or head back to the surface to await Sam and Senna.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    7 / 7 d8 HD

Caelyn waves to Vala as she approaches the inn keep to ask after rooms. Caelyn considers going to wait for Sam and Senna on the dock, but she realizes this may be the first time without them for some time, decides to start celebrating her birthday by herself a moment, heading towards the bar. With slightly more practice than previous visits she orders a pitcher of wine, figuring that there will be plenty for Sam and Senna when they return. She considers buying something snack-y, but will leave that to Vala. She picks up the pitcher, hefting it eagerly before finding a table that can accommodate their party. One glass couldn't hurt...
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #78

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Packing away the bottle of wine with his other gift, Sam strolls back to the Sorcerous Sundries to see how Senna is doing picking out her own gift. He leans against the wall outside after seeing her still there in the window, not wanting to make her feel rushed.

"So what do you think of those sewer rumors?"

I think you should avoid talking to yourself, or people will think you mad.

Oh, yeah. But do you think it's something we should look into?

Crawling around in the city's sewage? And I assume 'we' will involve 'me' doing the advance scouting? Grepha sighs and suppresses an annoyed bird sound to avoid startling any passerby on the street. How about we wait and see if it becomes our problem first?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Inside:
    Senna approaches the Sorcerous Sundries. Obviously she knows about Halbazzer Drin, who can at least measure himself with the famed Elminster or Lady Alustriel even if he would justifiably bow out of any competition with either of Mystra's Chosen. She enters the shop and quickly advances to the shopkeep who she does not assume is the famed mage himself. I know your time is precious, so I won't waste any of it. I would like to have a cloak clasp engraved and enchanted by tomorrow. I am not fussy about the actual brooch, the plainer, the better, but it should display the following when enchanted: The symbol of Bahamut intertwined with Deneir's candle. I give you artistic freedom, but the whole thing should carry sentimental value as well as a small personal enchantment that protects one from interplanar forces. Can you do that? Senna smiles. She tries not to look to hurried, but she is clearly uncomfortable dealing with merchants. She feels like she is stealing their time all while feeling she is being tricked into an unfair deal.

Outside:
    Senna waves at Sam and his bird. I just had Caelyn's gift commissioned. And I heard something about very lifelike statues of heroes in some inn in the Northwest. Knowing the area crawls with mages, acolytes and wizarding apprentices, this sounds a bit too suspicious since artists of that caliber are known. Should we check it out? If for nothing else, maybe for the artistry?
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-11-10 at 03:54 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

"That does sound pretty weird!" Sam agrees, pushing off from the wall and stretching his back. "Let's go check it out after Cae's birthday party, eh? I got some nice wine," he pats his bag where the packaged bottle is, "And Grepha got her a horse grooming kit."

"It was a group effort," the invisible bird speaks in a deadpan. "I'm the ideas guy. He's the wealthy investor." Taking on a more serious tone she adds, "We should avoid going near the sewer accesses alone. Rumor has it there have been disappearances."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-11-13 at 01:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Sorcerous Sundries

The shopkeep spends a few minutes hashing out details with Senna over specifics, design ideas, the exact nature of the enchantment. After consulting a table of services they return with a cost breakdown that ultimately comes up to a nice round 100gp, promising the completion of the job by noon the following day or your money back[1]. They seem relatively confident, and despite the economic slump that the city had apparently found itself in as a result of the Iron Crisis the air in the store remains unchanged. Once agreed, a note of the requirements is produced and then magically vanishes from the clerk's hand. "To our resident enchanters, much faster than carrying the notes by hand," they explain.

[1]Subject to terms and conditions. Guarantee not valid in case of plague, demonic invasion, divine intervention, or other so-called "Acts of God" that would impede upon what has been judged a standard working experience according to the General Order Of Duties (GOOD) Work Act. Please contact a certified legal scholar with any queries. Any advice offered by Sorcerous Sundries employees does not constitute as legitimate legal advice nor will they or Sorcerous Sundries be held legally or magically liable if this advice proves detrimental. Our full terms and conditions can be provided by submitting a formal request at the Ducal Palace and you will receive a response within 1-6 months.

Bar

There's a wide variety of alcohol on offer at the Low Lantern - from the cheapest rotgut meant to appeal to people who've lost everything at the tables, to fancy imported meads, sake from the far east, magically brewed beers, along with both naturally aged and chronomancy aged whiskeys (with the soft implication that you should of course try both to test the difference!)

Vala returns before long. "There's a few others who've taken rooms so we won't be able to get one each, but lowest deck does have space for us if we want it. We'll actually be slightly below the waterline down there, which is...kinda weird?" But she doesn't seem against it.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-11-15 at 05:53 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

When there's a lull in the conversation, Vala pops out of the tavern and flags down Sam and Senna, scooping them up (figuratively) from the harbourside and leading the way to Low Lantern, which by this time has started lighting its namesake across the ships length. Though there's still some daylight remaining, it does help the ship stick out as a destination, and you're quickly lead to join Caelyn in the upper bar.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    7 / 7 d8 HD

Caelyn orders a sweet mead for them all, making steady progress in her own cup before Vala returns. "I... have a bad feeling about staying here, but I'm going to push that aside. This place has a reputation for security, and security is what we need. Below decks it is." Caelyn pours Vala a cup and motions for her to drink. "The alcohol selection is great! Just what I wanted for my birthday- to try new things!"

When her siblings are led in, Caelyn raises her glass and toasts them, then makes to pour each of them a glass. Her cheeks are rosy, her eyes are shining, and she looks ready to have some fun.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | Raven Form

As he and Senna walk along the docks, Sam spots Vala in the light of a newly lit lantern beckoning them from the stern of a ship. Waving excitedly back, Sam hurries over and up the gangplank onto the deck. "Hey! You guys found somewhere after all," he looks around as Vala leads the way inside. The place seems rowdy, maybe rowdier than their usual inn fare. But after all the quiet of the woods, the social chaos is a little welcoming.

When they come to Caelyn's table, she's already been hitting the liquor. Sam had a feeling that would happen, but who is he to chastise how she wants to spend her day. Withdrawing the bottle of wine from his pack, he sets it upon the table as he sits down. "I hope you saved room and haven't drowned yourself too much, sis. This one's supposed to be the good stuff."

"If it is the genuine article, I believe it should be quite good," now visible, the black bird lands on the table next to Sam's place at it. "And if the magically cooled bottle lasts beyond the contents, it may have some practical use as well when the next summer comes around." The disguised imp looks up when Sam starts making hand motions. "What?"

"Aren't you going to give Caelyn your gift?"

"Oh, very well, if you're going to put me on the spot like that." With the tiny, resized magical staff woven onto Minsc's scarf, Grepha is a bit stronger than the average bird. She flies down to Sam's bag and grabs the bundle containing the horse grooming kit, flying it onto the table in front of Caelyn. "I thought he could use some care after our weeks in the tick-infested woods..." Grepha explains, trailing off and allowing the gift to fill in the context of who 'he' is.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

At Caelyn's remark, the cleric chuckles. Well, you're the only one able to transform yourself into a fish. As far as I am concerned you should be the least bothered by the call of the sea. But I am half tempted to pray for a water walk spell now that you mention it. As it comes to the gift exchange, Senna is almost crying. She had lost so much family in the last months, she was simultaneously happy that Caelyn was still around, and distraught at loosing Gorion and some of her step siblings.

Senna blushes slightly, a small reminder of the young girl she still was, as she cannot produce a gift yet. Your gift takes until tomorrow I'm afraid. But I think you will like it. I am really not a crafts person, more akin to a hobbyist writer. But there was little time for either in the last weeks.

The red-head turns to the imp-raven. It pains my heart to bring this up, but can you look out for security tonight, Grepha? I really want to cut loose, but I cannot in full conscience "Party hard" as the kids say if we are to expect unwanted visitors, like the last time we were in a tavern. Plus I am not even sure if alcohol transfers into your system.

26. - Top - End - #86

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    --- | Raven Form

"I'm reasonably certain I can't get drunk," Grepha states in response. "Alcohol is a poison, after all. Which is good. I want a taste of this wine, and if I were able to get drunk then even a small bit would get something my size thoroughly sloshed."

"That's the spirit... I think," Sam flags one of the servers for a wine opener, after trying to figure it out himself and failing.

"As for 'partying hard,' I will be on guard as always, naturally. And I hope no one intends to partake of the... hookers," she says with mild distaste, lowering her voice to avoid offending the establishment's patrons and employees who may be in earshot. "Frankly, it would be more worth your money to hire a higher class escort than contract something unpleasant and have need of a potion to cure it." The imp turns her beady bird eyes to Senna and it seems she's about to make a snide comment - probably about a predictable certain someone. But in the end she decides not to dampen the atmosphere any further.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    7 / 7 d8 HD

Caelyn smiles and laughs at Sam handing over the bottle, giving it a small shake and shivering slightly. "It is still cold! Amazing! Thank you, Sam!" She also motions for an opener to the nearest server. Meanwhile, Grepha's gift elicits a different response- a solemn eyed look of acknowledgement and understanding. "I'll make sure to try it out with Rosc Roche first thing tomorrow. Thank you, Grepha. Not everyone would remember that we have another member of our group who can't always be with us, but I think you have some special insight into that." When Senna promises a gift tomorrow, Caelyn nods eagerly and shakes her fists in anticipation of what her younger sister may have chosen. By then the wine de-corker had arrived, and Caelyn utilizes it after some difficulty, giving a shout of surprise when the cork launches from the bottle like a rocket! "It is magic, Sam!" She begins to refresh everyone's glass from the new bottle, including a taste for Grepha.

Security and safety is far from Caelyn's mind as, for the next several hours, she focuses on being young, having fun, and being loved by her family and friends.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The evening passes with frivolity and relaxation. Eventually, you retire to bed - mostly. With limited room options, Caelyn and Senna are bunked together with a single bed, though that's hardly an issue for trancing. Sam and Grepha take a smaller room to themselves, and unbeknownst to them the other three room are occupied by Leaf, Grok, and ???. Vala willingly gave up even having a private room, instead taking one of the public hammocks in the stern of the ship. She waves off any concerns with "If the room's gonna sway, I may as well get the full experience."

The low lantern never truly quietens down, even in the earliest hours of the morning, but eventually the activities on the floors above turn from a bother into the white noise one can relax to and almost find meditative, but it is exactly this noise which alerts you during the night.

When the sun has yet to still rise, the above decks abruptly quieten, and the sudden silence rouses you from your slumbers (or trances). A single creeping step creaks on the stairs descending to your level, before abruptly going silent again. Tension rises, but it's only when a scream goes out from one of Vala's fellow hammockers that you're sure danger is imminent.

The door to Senna and Caelyn's room is kicked open - though without any of the accompanying noise you'd expect from it, revealing a leather clad assassin stained with blood upon blood upon blood. Beyond him, in the core of the lower deck, are three more, equally stained. A trail of the sanguine liquid follows their footsteps from the upper decks.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Starting the new people off with a bang.

You should assume you are not armoured or wearing a shield if you were sleeping, ditto for needing to pick up weapon(s) (only 1/turn, unless you're spending an action).

The darker-hooded enemies are projecting a 10ft field of silence, which may (will) impact on some spellcasting.

Initiative order:

Grepha: [23]
    Sam: [21]
    Grok: [17]
    Leaf: [16]

EA: [15]

Vala: [14]
    ???: [12]
    Caeyln: [9]

EV: [4]
    ES: [4]

Senna: [1]

Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-11-19 at 05:51 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Leaf
    Tabaxi Ranger 4/Rogue 3
    AC: 17 HP: 56/56 PP: 18 PIv: 12 PIs: 14
    HD: 4/4d10, 4/4d8, Conditions: none
    Spell Slots, 1st: 3/3 LR
    Favored Foe: 3/3 LR
    Restrain: 3/3 Dawn

Leaf had been in Baldurs Gate for a few weeks, moving around between apartments and short-term rentals waiting for the next interesting job. He had moved to the Low Lantern just a few days ago, and enjoyed its boisterous atmosphere. He always met interesting people there, it seemed safe enough, and the noise and alcohol made it easy for him to pilfer a few coins and gems off of the inebriated patrons, which has allowed him to hold out for a more honorable, or just more profitable, mercenary job.

Last night, he stayed up late, and had a little to drink, but managed to keep his wits about him. He bonded with a few of the other new passengers over their shared dislike of the Iron Throne. He particularly liked the wood elf, Caelyn, and her bubbly attitude. She seemed to enjoy his stories about the jungles to the south and what it was like to live there. Her companions were pleasant and welcoming as well, and and one of them, a half-dragon named Sam, ended up in the small room directly across from Leaf's.

He had removed his armor to sleep, but kept his cloak on as a blanket, the hood covering his head. He kept his bow, his most prized possession, next to him, between him and the wall, the quiver of arrows next to it.

He thinks it's close to dawn, in the darkest part of night, when he wakes with a start, hearing the footsteps and screams then not hearing anything at all. Something is wrong. He slowly and quietly equips his quiver and grabs his bow. He peaks out the curtains of his tiny bedroom, seeing two hooded men with blood dripping from their weapons. He pauses to see what they do next, keeping hidden from their view.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think it takes my action to equip the quiver and grab the bow.
    BA Hide, Stealth: (1d20+11)[14], Advantage (1d20+11)[21]

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-11-19 at 07:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    AC: 12(-1 no armor) HP: 55/55 | AC: 16 HP: 23/23
    --- | Armor of Shadows

The party had been fun, acquainting them with some other guests at the tavern's inn. Sam had never seen a tabaxi before, so there had been a lot of questions for their new acquaintance Leaf, and some of them were probably unintentionally insensitive.

Sam's eyelids flicker open at the sudden silence. Grepha, already perched on the end of the bed in her true form, is standing tensely. She meets his look and nods. Without his armor on and in only night clothes, Sam gets out of bed and grabs the dagger from his beneath his pillow. Usually he prefers not to be up close and personal in the first place, but it's better than being unarmed.

Grepha flaps in the air and pulls the door open, revealing the men in the dark between their rooms. "You sure don't waste any time, you?" Sam calls out, invoking a pair of blasts to hurl at the nearest man. He rushes out and turns on a time, dashing to wake up Vala- if she isn't already. "We've got company!"

Shadows draw around Grepha into a shape like armor, preparing herself for combat, and she remains behind in the room.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Sam
    Use Item to grab his dagger.
    EB at the non-silent Assassin.
    (1d20+6)[16] Blast 1
    (1d10)[9] force damage and a shove, (1d4)[1] damage from getting knocked 1 NE into the wall next to Grok's room
    (1d20+6)[8] Blast 2
    (1d10)[2] force damage and a shove, (1d4)[4] damage from getting knocked into the wall
    If at least one of them hits and it gives him enough space to get out without an AoO, he will move out of the room. 2 E, 2 S, 1 SW next to Vala and give her Bardic Inspiration with his bonus action.
    If the assassin is still in the way, bonus action to Tumble from Satire Bard and get past, still moving next to Vala but no Inspire.

Grepha
    Use Item to open the door for Sam.
    Cast Mage Armor on self. She will remain in the room.

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-11-19 at 11:09 AM.