New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Giantslayer: The Hill Giant's Pledge [IC]

"It is not every day that one gets the chance to tie up a loose end!" Phaevin drones in a mirthless singsong voice.

He positions himself to take a shot between the stones at the monster.

Spoiler: Tech Info
    Show

MA 10' W
    Attack: Shortbow ATK: (1d20+10)[20] DAM: (1d8+1)[6] + (1d6)[6] fire
    IF he hits, he will taunt, "You have felt that flaming bite before, yes?"
    Aragorn: You have my sword...
    Legolas: And you have my bow...
    Gimli: And my axe...
    Phaevin: I swear! I just found this stuff lying around!

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

R1T26: "It is not every day that one gets the chance to tie up a loose end!" Phaevin drones in a mirthless singsong voice. He positions himself to take a shot between the stones at the monster, but the arrow bounces off of her interminably fat flesh.

R1T25: Galakhar hustles to the southwest and hunkers down by a fallen menhir, using his cloak to cover the ghostlight lantern's emanation.

R1T22: From out of her bag, the giantess grabs a rock she had collected and sails it at Phaevin with all the force she can muster. The half-elf turns at the last second so that he feels the boulder skim his armor, but leaves him unharmed.

R1T20: Abenor teleports to the north of the giantess to block her direct line to Phaevin as he draws his swords and flays her left knee and leg for 35. "Phaevin, move within 20' of me!" he calls, and gives tactical defensive advice should he do so.
    Spoiler: Phaevin
    Show
    Because it is hard to translate without actually seeing/ hearing, Abenor has an ability where if you get within 20' of him, he gives you a morale bonus to AC and Will saves.

R1T18: Aasgar, what do you do?
    18MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea (2013, Bauer, Bonner, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar moves in closer to the battle as fast as he can manage and begins to call out tactical observations to aid his allies.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

MA: Move W 5', NW 5', W 10'

SwA: Defending the Pride (Grant all allies w/in 60' a +4 morale bonus to AC for 1 rd)

Reminders:
    Get Behind Me (Ex): When he readies his maneuvers, he may treat 3 [INT] creatures as though they had the King's Castle feat. Designees: Phaevin, Abenor, Cici

Blooded [Region]: +1 trait bonus on weapon damage rolls vs. giants, goblins, & orcs.

Mystic Attunement: All allies w/in 60' of him gain a +5' enhancement bonus to their base land speed.

Patient Counterpoint (Ex): During his turn, he gains a +4 [WIS] insight bonus to damage rolls whenever his DDP has points in it.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #484

R1T18: Aasgar moves in closer to the battle as fast as he can manage and begins to call out tactical observations to aid his allies, his powerful dwarven lungs reaching even Cici to the north.
    Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Red Zephyr's strike.

R1T15: Mossmoon disappears from sight.

R1T13: Cici enters the center circle from the north. She takes out a small, thin stick or wand that looks translucent and dark yellow. Calling on the elements that empower her she casts a spell. There is a flash and a report, the air smelling of ozone, and during that time a bolt of lighting shatters the stick she holds and blasts through the giant for 15 electricity.

R1T3: Lucette squeaks in alarm and hunkers deeper in Cici's hood.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T26:
    Phaevin, what do you do?

Galakhar on deck, Gripwort (the name Phaevin remembers the giantess being called) in the hole ...
    18MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea (2013, Bauer, Bonner, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin will take another shot at the giantess with his bow.

Spoiler: tech info
    Show

Attack: Shortbow ATK:(1d20+10)[28] DAM:(1d8+1)[2] + (1d6)[4] fire

6. - Top - End - #486

R2T26: Phaevin takes another shot at the giantess with his bow, striking her for 2 + 4 fire!

R2T25: Galakhar is now half-sized, nearer to the giant and hiding behind the stone.

R2T22: Gripwort attacks Abenor with her gaff as Abenor attempts to counter with his acrobatics, which he does brilliantly while also moving back a few feet towards Cici. She attacks him again, but flashing swords deflect the attack.

R2T20: Abenor got a taste of her blood last round, and the elf starts to give into the blood inertia that sometimes carries him as a bushi stalker. He sets up fighting style now to match his stance. He strikes once with his blue-glowing katana, which flashes an even brighter blue. Ileor seems to cut right past her skin and fat as the blade bites her bicep for 19 + 10 force.

R2T18: Aasgar, no ally was hit last round, and your group defense is done. What do you do?

Cici on deck, Phaevin in the hole ...
    Show

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar lets loose a roar and moves west to face the enemy. Swinging his axe over his head, he attempts to rain a powerful blow down on the giant creature.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

MA: West 10'

Attack using Risky Strike and Dazing Attack: (1d20+13)[18]

Dazing Attack: Dmg + 3d6. Fort save or be dazed 1 round.

RA Damage: (1d12+16)[22]
    Dazing Attack damage: (3d6)[8]

Reminders:
    Get Behind Me (Ex): When he readies his maneuvers, he may treat 3 [INT] creatures as though they had the King's Castle feat. Designees: Phaevin, Abenor, Cici

Blooded [Region]: +1 trait bonus on weapon damage rolls vs. giants, goblins, & orcs.

Mystic Attunement: All allies w/in 60' of him gain a +5' enhancement bonus to their base land speed.

Patient Counterpoint (Ex): During his turn, he gains a +4 [WIS] insight bonus to damage rolls whenever his DDP has points in it.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2023-10-16 at 04:05 AM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

8. - Top - End - #488

R2T18: Aasgar lets loose a roar and moves west to face the enemy. As he does so, she spins in time to strike Aasgar in his left elbow. He doesn't feel it enough to hurt, but feels it enough that it fuels his power. Swinging his axe over his head, he rains a powerful blow down on the giant creature, but it only gets caught in her rolls of fat, not actually harming her.
    Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Warning roar granted. Sorry, it was listed as granted when it shouldn't have been. I even had last battle's DDP value in there.

R2T13: Cici stairs at the giant, and she drops her gaff and slowly sinks down to the ground. Soon, she is snoring loudly.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T26:
    Phaevin, what do you do?

Galakhar on deck ...
    Show

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin moves to the sleeping giant's neck switching out his bow for his sword.

"My venom and thirst for cold revenge is great towards this creature." He spits in the ground.

"I need a chorus of cooler heads to advise if she should be dispatched in her slumber."

Show

SA: stow shortbow
    MA: move 15' south while drawing sword

10. - Top - End - #490

R3T26: Phaevin moves to the sleeping giant's neck - grabbing his sword and switching his bow to his off-hand. "My venom and thirst for cold revenge is great towards this creature." He spits in the ground. "I need a chorus of cooler heads to advise if she should be dispatched in her slumber."

R3T25: Galakhar stands and says, "Abenor, your blade is made for the task."

R3T20: Abenor dispatches the giantess with his katana.

Combat Ends!
    Show

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Pheobe, go ahead and look through her belongings. I feel like you should get dibs on anything as she was your problem first. The rest of you, look around as we started out to do." says, Aasgar. He starts to look around the strange stones for a hint as to their next action.

12. - Top - End - #492

The 19 catches up to Aasgar from his DDP to his actual vitality now causing him to take a breath or two.

Pharmajam, what do you do?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pheavin raises his hand with his pointer finger extended, and opens his mouth to correct the Dwarf, but then reconsiders.

"Very well. Thank you, Aasgar," he says, pausing a little too long on the first syllable of the man's name.

He then turns and starts to loot the dead giant corpse.

14. - Top - End - #494

In addition to Gripwort's gaff (her weapon), she has a stinky, awful bag which contains the following ...
    • Loose coins (10 gp)
    • A half-eaten bird
    • An interesting collection of mushrooms
    • Two lives snakes

Phaevin notices the last two and jumps back. Unless stopped, the poisonous snakes come out of the bag threateningly. Abenor asks everyone to back away ... and the snakes slither off into the swamp.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at Phaevin and asks, "Could you spare a little more healing?" as he winces in pain.

16. - Top - End - #496

Cici comes over to Aasgar to touch him for 6 healing. She then looks hopefully-expectantly at Phaevin, as that was an extremely poor attempt for her.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pheavin steps over to the dwarf and says, "Here... this should help." He hands him the half-eaten bird and waits for a reaction.

He then holds his hand over Aasgar's wounds and recites a poem in sing-song: "Stop the blood and mend it right. Pull the tiny stitches tight. Disinfect and dull the pain. Until the patient's whole again."

Show

Cast Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+5)[16]

18. - Top - End - #498

"Nobody touch the central menhir," says Galakhar suddenly, sharply. "Something's not quite right. Danger."

Half-sized Galakhar turns the ghostlight lantern to wash its light over the central menhir. In doing so, the thick vegetation obscuring it withers away, revealing a faintly glowing, olive-hued stone. "The danger is abated. This lantern must be bypassing some trap left for the clumsy and curious. I am guessing everyone should gather close around me here at this button before we proceed."

Aasgar and Phaevin, do you get close to Galakhar and the others, bunching up into a fine fireball formation like he said?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will trust the man and move in closer.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin follows Aasgar's lead and moves closer as well.

21. - Top - End - #501

Galakhar touches the touchstone on the menhir, and there is a very brief green flash. A lone menhir stands in a clearing in a vibrant forest filled with thick, verdant plant life. Exotic flowers drape the standing stone, which pulses with brilliant chartreuse light. A path lined with rose petals leads from the monolith to a giant floral bloom carved from wood. Two carved wooden stamens stretch out toward the pulsating menhir, extending from either side of a set of ornate doors carved into the giant flower. An overpowering fragrance of flowers and sweet grass permeates the air. The sun above sits at its zenith, basking the area in light and warmth.

Not that you have time to really drink in the view right now!

Surprise Round ...

S18:
    From the woods to the relative SW, something pops out of the treeline in front of Galakhar. Something really smaller ... smaller even than mini-Galakhar at this time. It shoots forth a withering barrage of thorns, brambles, and splinters. Everyone except for Phaevin and Lucette are able to move in time to minimize the effect. Aasgar takes (6 mod DDP); Abenor takes 4 mod; Galakhar takes 3 mod; Phaevin takes 17; Lucette takes 11; and Cici completely evades.

S13: Lagging only slightly behind, another hops out behind Phaevin and lets loose with a similar spray, but that split second is enough for Phaevin and Lucette to get their acts together, as he, the weasel, and Cici all completely dodge the spray. Aasgar takes (6 mod DDP); Abenor takes 7 mod; and Galakhar takes 2 mod.

Begin Round One ...

R1T32:
    "Away from the bushes!" warns Galakhar. "They're twigjacks - fey - and they need the tree section to do their bramble jump ability. Careful, though, they've a few more of those sprays, each. They hate fire."

He pops down an extract and disappears. Though invisible, the glow of the ghostlight lantern still gives away his position.

R1T30: The sudden assault puts Abenor into flight or fight ... and he descends into the feral mindset of the Hunter, ignoring Gal's advice. He gives a sidestep to the south and snarls, quick drawing both blades, one of which manages to strike the twigjack for 24.

R1T18: Giving a cry of anger and pain, Blue steps into Aasgar's immediate area, but his elven friend completely destroys the little monster.

R1T17: Phaevin, you still have your bow in hand, and the other "twigjack" (Red) is right behind (north) of you. What do you do?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin drops his bow in front of him, before spinning around while drawing his rapier. He attempts to strike the creature to the north.

Show

MA: Draw weapon
    SA: Attack Red - Rapier ATK:(1d20+9)[14] DMG:(1d6+4)[5]

23. - Top - End - #503

R1T17: Phaevin drops his bow in front of him, before spinning around while drawing his rapier. He attempts to strike the creature to the north, but the quick creature just barely ducks out of the way.

R1T16: Cici steps around Phaevin and gets into her wide-armed, straight-but-sweeping-legged fighting stance. She does a low spin that strikes the twigjack for 8 + tripped, kicks again for 11, and follows with another super-fast kick for 4.

R1T13: The twigjack warily gets to its feet. Phaevin stabs, but catches only bark, and Cici completely misses.

R1T9: Aasgar, what do you do? Do you try to horn into the limited space, or leave the thing for Phaevin and Cici?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar turns to face the group and lets loose with an encouraging roar!

Spoiler: Technical information
    Show
    SwA: Encouraging Roar: Allies w/in 30' +2 morale attk/ dmg

25. - Top - End - #505

R1T9: Aasgar turns to face the group and lets loose with an encouraging roar!
    Spoiler: Aasgar's Encouraging Cheer (slow-and-chant-like)
    Show
    BREE-KAH! ..... BRAH-KAH!
    Spoiler
    Show
    SIS - BOOM - BAH!
    Spoiler
    Show
    OLD ONES ..... OLD ONES ....
    Spoiler: Finale
    Show
    RAH .... RAH ... RAH!
    Spoiler
    Show

R1T4: Lucette whispers encouraging ferret chirps into Cici's ear.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T32:
    Galakhar delays ...

R2T30: Abenor teleports to the spot of the twigjack and shreds it.

Combat Ends!

Abenor's rage subsiding, he say, "I need a few seconds to catch my breath. I am so sorry for that display."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar sighs. "Well... So much for all the healing we just did... Is anyone terribly bad off? Do we need to rest for a bit before we continue? Wherever that may be..."

27. - Top - End - #507

Abenor is only flushed for half a minute before he's fine. "My wound is light, let's keep going."

Galakhar returns to normal size. "Same here. I just want another minute to mix up another reduction, if you don't mind."

Cici then puts a healing hex on Abenor, Galakhar, Lucette, and Phaevin, and to her astonishment they are all fully healed. "I have most of my resources, and only Aasgar sports noticeable wounding ... which we could reduce with our wands, at the cost of not having them later. I .... I have a lot to think about ... what with all we've gone through lately, and I'd like to study some of these plants. I think we're on a demiplane, not on Golarion ... this Vault of Thorns. It seems like my healing magic is empowered here, and I ask the chance to meditate and drink in this power and sleep on everything I've learned so far. I have an instinct that once we open the doors to the Vault proper, that our lives are thrust forward on our mission precipitously. I also want to study some of the plants that are near us, the menhir, and the dead twigjacks.

"Phaevin, are you willing to cast your healing spells on Aasgar again ... especially since now it seems our healing magic is enhanced here?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #508
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phaevin nods to Cici and performs the healing song again over Aasgar's wounds. "You know, my friend," he says as the spell comes to an end, "if you want me to sing for you, you can just ask... you don't need to keep getting injured."

Spoiler: Tech Info
    Show

Cast Cure Moderate Wounds on Aasgar: (2d8+5)[18]

29. - Top - End - #509

Even Phaevin feels it as he casts the healing spell, and both the half-elf and dwarf are stunned to find that a more serious wound is completely healed with that spell!

Do either of you do anything before setting watches and camp?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar does not have anything he wants to do aside from get cleaned up a bit.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2023-10-31 at 11:54 AM.