New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Giantslayer: The Hill Giant's Pledge [IC]

R6T5: Aasgar looks around quickly to make sure everyone is out or able to get out and then heads to the door himself.

R6T0: The fire suddenly grows northwards, catching Galakhar for 1 fire. It is only through brilliant instinct and quick thinking he keeps from catching fire.

End Round 6, Begin Round 7 ...

R7T19:
    Galakhar opens datum, heading out and landing on the ground below the platform deftly, and then around to Gharmez.

R7T18: Abenor nods to Gharmez, "Thank you, but I was nearly killed, and could use more succor if you would grant it."

R7T16: Kurst goes around the table to the north and comes around to Cici, waving her out, and readied to follow her.

R7T15: The knight moves to the east along the platform and jumps, landing with a whump (6 damage) by Galakhar, but having been sure to avoid the path of the ladder.

R7T11: Cici exits, easily lands on her feet below, and then comes around to the fallen knight.

R7T10: Kurst was waiting for that and heads out to the platform.

R7T9: Gharmez, what do you do?

Aasgar on deck, fire in the hole ...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez smiles and says to Abenor, "Nothing quite like the thrill of being a orc punching bag." She lays her hands over the wounds to attempt more healing.

Spoiler: Tech Info
    Show

CMW on Abenor (2d8+4)[7]

3. - Top - End - #153

R7T9: Gharmez smiles and says to Abenor, "Nothing quite like the thrill of being a orc punching bag." She lays her hands over the wounds for 7 healing more. Gharmez is a little woozy as she has now emptied herself this day of her most powerful miracles.

R7T5: Aasgar, what do you do?

Fire on deck, Galakhar in the hole ...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Out, out da*n dwarf! Aasgar runs out and down the ladder.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #155

And with that, we are now out of initiative as everyone safely got out of the burning waystation.

Galakhar directs actions for a fire line around the building so that only the building will burn, and not the forest to the west of it.

Afterwards, with Abenor still heartily wounded and the knight now freed in the meantime (and having helped put out the fire), she introduces herself as Calrianne Blix.

Of course, it is Abenor who is the voice of reason and says, "The forest will be safe as Gal's advice has been ept. But let's not tarry. If a larger force of orcs follows the bright fire, we want to at least be at the safety of the keelboat.

What do you do?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar closes on his friend muttering about heroics and rushing in to burning buildings and helps him into the boat before offering what he can for his remaining wounds.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

7. - Top - End - #157

During the early part of the burning of the building, Calrianne runs to the shed on the north side of the stable, takes a key from around her neck and unlocks it. She goes in, and comes out with a very fine saddle and brings it with her.

Meanwhile, Cici gets rid of the laughably minor wounds on Galakhar and Gharmez, and then puts in some healing on Calrianne. She had already healed Abenor during the previous encounter, and Abenor asks Gharmez for more healing. In assisting Cici, Gharmez and Cici learn that Abenor is at roughly ~50% of his vitality. Calrianne, for her part, is similar, though her wounds are more scattered about, whereas Abenor's belly had been split open.

As you finish making the fire line and then head to the boat, Calrianne heartily thanks the party for rescuing her, and asks if there is anything she can do to repay the group, and if you know anything about the orc attack.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will makes introductions and explain that they unfortunately do not know anything about the orcs and we’re hoping that she could in fact shed some light on that.

9. - Top - End - #159

"What brings you to this place, then?" she asks.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks around at the others and back at her before speaking up. "We are traveling on the river and had a stopover here to deliver supplies. We saw the way station had come under attack and decided to investigate. How came you to be here?"

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show
    Sense motive
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2023-02-26 at 02:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez quietly listens to the newcomer while continuing to heal Abenor's wounds with what magic she has remaining.

Show

CLW (1d8+4)[12]
    CLW (1d8+4)[5]
    If necessary, CLW (1d8+4)[8]
    If necessary, CLW (1d8+4)[7]

12. - Top - End - #162

Gharmez completely exhausts herself of her blessings, suffering a headache and a nosebleed in the process, as she puts four healing spells on Abenor.

Galakhar spends only one charge of his wand for an unimpressive heal, and that is all he'll use. "Don't worry, lad," he reassures the elf. "You're almost good to go, and I think if I bind you well tonight, you'll be fine on the morn."

Meanwhile, the knight is confused. "Wait, if you were hearing delivering supplies .... wouldn't that mean you know what that way station is, and who I am?"

"Pardon my short friend," says Galakhar, "he neither knows the symbol of the Knights of Ozem, nor that your way station was staffing it."

"Still, you came to deliver supplies..." she says, still trying to track things.

"And a messenger does not always know the name of the people that live in the house where his message must go."

"Oh, okay,"
    she says, satisfied, and now take a more condescending tone, to 'teach' the dwarf, which includes speaking more slowly and just a little louder. "I am Calrianne Blix, and I and a member of the Knights of Ozem. We staffed the riverside way station. Our station services river traffic and provides a disembarkation point for people and supplies heading inland to Castle Firrine. But we were expecting a weapons shipment from Captain Bloodtusk, not ...." and here she waves her hand generally to indicate the mixed group of adventurers.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Ah. Well the captain is here…” and he turns away to find the captain and get him over.

14. - Top - End - #164

As Captain Bloodtusk comes over as the party returns, he shakes his head once the situations is explained to him. "You're too damned paranoid, Master Dwarf. We've been in Lastwall for the past day - no longer in the Hold of Belkzen. But tomorrow, when mid-day we switch from having come down river into Lastwall along the River Esk, we'll then use the horses to pull us up the River Esk and then back into the Hold of Belkzen."

"Where on earth are you going that you would take my rescuers back into the Hold?" Calrianne gasps.

"There's a giantess who seems to be pushing orcs forward as a war machine," says Kurst. "They attacked Trunau - that's where we're coming from - and were beaten back. It could be that this far across the border those weren't just raiders, but possibly orcs allied with this giantess. Now, we're part of a group that is looking to infiltrate Redlake Fort, where we believe they are based out of."

Calrianne grows visibly excited and produces a map for the party. "This is a map of Redlake Fort, best as can be rendered. My ancestor - Fabian Blix - was the fort's cleric. Fabian died during the final siege of the fort, but one of his sons - my great grandfather - escaped through a hidden sewer tunnel, though I do expect the sewer tunnel to be submerged. I would be interested in knowing of my ancestor Fabian's fate, should you learn anything about him while there."

Spoiler: Aasgar
    Show
    Calrianne seems to be bothered by something as she talks about her ancestor.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez makes an unimpressed smirk as she wipes her blood from her face. "She is certainly welcome to go back into the building where we found her," she mutters under her breath towards Aasgar.
    Last edited by Admyral; 2023-03-01 at 11:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods. ”Can you tell us a little more of what you know of your ancestor?”
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2023-03-03 at 05:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Calrianne reluctantly adds, "There are stories that were passed down in my family regarding the keep's castellan, who was a despicable, vile man. My great-grandfather rarely spoke of his time at the fort. I'm sorry, I don't remember anything else, but I recall that mere mention of the fort or its castellan would cause him to go pale and visibly tremble."

She hands the very fine saddle to the group. "Here, for rescuing me, I offer you this magical saddle. I see that at least one of you is garbed like a rider. This is a horsemaster's saddle, and it increases the bond between horse and rider. The horse can jump farther. The rider has greater control over their mount. And some specially trained riders who are good at group tactics can magically share that knowledge with their mount. All I ask is that you try to find me after your time at Redlake Fort, and tell me what you can."

Galakhar seems gobsmacked by what she just gave the group. "My lady, I happen to know the value of that saddle, and it is more than the captain's keelboat and everything upon it. Are you sure?"

She nods. "It is nothing compared to the life saved, and if you hold your end, the closure that you may bring my family in knowing what happened at Redlake Fort."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at her and nods. ”We will endeavour to do our best.”

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez asks Calrianne, "Where will you go now?"
    "The roads may still be fraught will orc peril, or worse."
    Looking over to Captain Bloodtusk, she suggests, "It may be safer on the keelboat."

20. - Top - End - #170

Captain Bloodtusk says, "You can stay on the keelboat's main deck tonight ... nothing below decks. I'll drop you off tomorrow when we're deeper in Lastwall."

Calrianne thanks the captain, and goes right to bed as her ordeal was tiring.

Anything else for the PCs, or to bed with you?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez makes sure that all of her gear is accounted for, bids everyone a good evening, and turns in for the night.

Spoiler: Spell Prep
    Show

1st Level Cleric
    Remove: Detect Evil
    Add: Air Bubble (total of 2 copies)

2nd Level Cleric
    Remove: Find Traps
    Add: Aboleth’s Lung

1st Level Ranger
    Remove: Endure Elements
    Add: Longstrider

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar checks up on Abenor before turning in for the night.

23. - Top - End - #173

Galakhar will assist Cici in making sure wounds are properly dressed before all turn in for the night.

Starday, 13 Pharast 4715 AR
    Weather: 70/ 50 F. Light rain.

The next morning, folks have their morning routine. Though a little drizzle is extant, it seems like it will be a fine day. For her part, seeing the weather and realizing she needs more aquatic help, Gharmez prays to Abadar for more focused blessings.

Aasgar's meditation has him clear the previous days veils to prepare for the next...
    Spoiler
    Show
    For his first minor veil, faint spectral images circle around your head, forming a faint jewelry of ghostly light. He can call upon very simple spectral illusions of sight or sound. Unlocked minor veil aigrette of specters.

Next, his akashic wanderings lead him to discover how to make a strange half-circle of bronzed akasha that shapes itself snugly around his wrist. Its surface shifts and swirls along with his thoughts. This very handy veil will allow him to accomplish a host of mundane tasks. Unlocked minor veil penannular of prestidigitation.

His first primary veil shaped is that of a terribly intimidating blackened gauntlet. It has no ability as a weapon, but by raising it into the air, he can terrify to witlessness any who would stand against him. Unlocked warlord's fist.

Finally, he taps into his dwarven heritage of artifice and creates for himself an akashic ring. This ring will allow him to repair broken or destroyed objects, even constructs .... repair suppressed veils ... and makes him a better and faster overall crafter. Unlocked band of creation.

Aasgar, are you happy with your current maneuver setup?

Having enjoyed the hospitality of Captain Bloodtusk's protection, Calrianne will leave now instead of later, as the terrain the keelboat will enter will soon be the river surrounded by swamp. She thanks her rescuers again, and then is gone.

What tasks will you each volunteer for today?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will muck the stables.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gharmez will ask to remain topside and assist with sounding.

26. - Top - End - #176

Aasgar mucks the stables with Kurst.
    Spoiler: Aasgar
    Show
    Roll a Handle Animal, Profession (stable master), or Ride check ... whichever is better.

Gharmez helps with the soundings this time, which incidentally also means something of a forward watch.
    Spoiler: Gharmez
    Show
    Roll a Profession (sailor) or a Perception check.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Handle Animal check.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

(1d20+7)[14]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Let's see if I remember how to do this," Gharmez says to no one in particular.

Show

Perception: (1d20+11)[21]

29. - Top - End - #179

Aasgar surprises Kurst with his animal husbandry skill, getting admiration from the patrol captain. Likewise, Gharmez does well with soundings. In fact, with her on soundings Abenor had gone to take her place on the bench and one of the captain's own half-orcs is in the crow's nest.

The boat spent about a third of the day enjoying the downriver movement as before on the Kestrel River. But then it joins the River Esk, which continues southeast 15 miles or so to Vigil, the capital of Lastwall. But where you have to go is upriver. So Aasgar is even there when the horses are unloaded and men are taken off the bench for the most part (only a couple to use oars more for guiding, as the oarsmen just can't fight against the current like the horses) to guide horses.

Gharmez spotted an obstacle in the river even before the half-orc in the crow's nest, once you've gone several miles up the River Esk, as the keelboat’s draft horses slowly pull the boat upstream. Ahead, a crude dam constructed of large boulders, animal carcasses, and mud blocks the keelboat’s route upriver.

The captain confides in you that technically, you are still in Lastwall, and there's no way orcs would put up such a barricade because they enjoy shipments by river as well. It is too big a dam on too wide a river to be put up by an animal, so "something or someone else" is doing this. And he asks the PCs to go up and do a safety check. Even if it turns out no hostiles, it is going to take as much as three days for everyone on the crew and the horses to dismantle enough of that dam for the boat to get through safely.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the party is preparing for the reconnaissance, Gharmez asks the captain, "Captain, would you happen to have a chain shirt in the armory that I could borrow or purchase?"

"I'm afraid", she explains, "that my current armor may slow me down too much for this particular mission."