New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0) [2nd Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    [roll0] new initiative!! Yay!
    Real talk. Do we need to have a chat with the Mods about your dice roller?

What's the statistical likelihood of that many 1's in a single campaign?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Molan View Post
    Real talk. Do we need to have a chat with the Mods about your dice roller?

What's the statistical likelihood of that many 1's in a single campaign?
    Lol. I may have blasphemed Tzeentch recently before I started this campaign.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Come on let’s see if I can’t follow that up nice and quickly.

(1d20+4)[10]

And a lot of it is using the right items. I do like just being given a whole bunch of items I might never have picked out on my own, it means that I can pull stuff like this that I was aware of but never would have prepped on my own.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-01-26 at 12:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    Lol. I may have blasphemed Tzeentch recently before I started this campaign.
    Ah right. I think you mentioned that earlier, or I'd remembered the future. Hard to say. The Raven God can tolerate many things but sanity is not one of them.

Anyone else hear that laughing noise or just me?

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Come on let’s see if I can’t follow that up nice and quickly.

[roll0]

And a lot of it is using the right items. I do like just being given a whole bunch of items I might never have picked out on my own, it means that I can pull stuff like this that I was aware of but never would have prepped on my own.
    Yeah, actually I strongly agree. There's an element of randomness that really helps spice up the gameplay. There's a bajillion items out there but you're never going to get your hands on *all* of them, but if random stuff gets acquired during your adventure (especially if the randomness fits the theme), then it's like "Hey! That was actually pretty dope!"

Case in point, I had no idea I was going to throw a Bodak at you when I was dropping those items. The two were unrelated. But look how cool that turned out!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

UPDATE: More good news! The sh!tty-dice-roll disease has spread to the enemies and their init rolls were terrible! Let's see how Nightwing and Scion do...

EDIT: Nightwing has some luck!
    Last edited by Molan; 2023-01-26 at 01:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Holy moly; Oracle with the big clutch moves!

Are we.. still in initiative? Not paralyzed anymore? Who's up?

And how effectively can I make unarmed attacks when I am bound? Badly?

EDIT: Furthermore... what is the nature of these bonds, specifically? Now is the time for wild maneuvers.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-01-26 at 09:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

We’re rerolling initiative and you lot are ai think all bound but none are stunned.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Molan View Post
    Alright. So.

1. Yes I remember Damien handing out Gravestrike, hard to remember but there was a time when we had a whopping 3 party members who could roll sneak die (RIP Joy!)
    2. Can we all just appreciate what a gangster @$$ wizard JBE is? This is wild.

SOOOOO the villains are stuck with their Touch AC's -2 because Oracle is invisible so *everything* hits. I will do an IC post soon but we have a Big Ouch(tm) on Baydon and a *very* double dead Bodak.

This should be interesting! Bad news of course is that we won't have a ton of time to celebrate, the baddies, oh lawd they comin'!

Let's go ahead and Roll Initiative again just to be safe. Oracle just used her surprise round (though I believe still has 3-4ish rounds of invisibility left) and I have a feeling we're gonna be in turn order for *a bit*.

Great heist everyone. Really, top shelf stuff. I had no idea how exciting this would be!
    Oh wow, sorry; a lot of movement in the OOC thread, didn't notice all this stuff! Haha.

NewInish - (1d20+7)[27].

Lol, amazing.

OH WAIT

I didn't hand out Gravestrike, handed out potions of Invisibility to Undead, ahahahahaha. Only I used mine; and I used Azrael's and a spare to save those two dent goons. So Oracle and Kate should have theirs in the dusty bottoms of their bags. In retrospect... might be useful. Top. Kek.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-01-26 at 09:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Oh wow, sorry; a lot of movement in the OOC thread, didn't notice all this stuff! Haha.

[roll0].

Lol, amazing.

OH WAIT

I didn't hand out Gravestrike, handed out potions of Invisibility to Undead, ahahahahaha. Only I used mine; and I used Azrael's and a spare to save those two dent goons. So Oracle and Kate should have theirs in the dusty bottoms of their bags. In retrospect... might be useful. Top. Kek.
    I mean, yea. And in fairness Oracle did call out the two undead minions BEFORE the door opened lol.

Buuuuuut Havyn's still up so the pots aren't useless yet.

All three of you have ropes wrapped around your ankles. Damien's hands are also bound with rope, but Nightwing and Kate's hands are bound with manacles.

An attacker who is prone has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks. Some of your weapons were taken when you were seized; anything visible. (Kate's heavy pole ax). Any hidden weapons are still on your person...the thug/undead didn't bother much with searching you.

You can't separate your hands, but there's nothing stopping you from using a 1 handed weapon or attempting an unarmed strike (with all the penalties that entails, which stack with being prone) or attempting a trip attack (again, with all applicable and stacking penalties). Using a 1 handed weapon while your hands are bound does not incur any penalties, other than any you're already suffering from being prone ect.

Escape Artist and Strength checks are allowed to escape your hand bindings. This applies to the Ropes and the Manacles, though they have slightly different DCs to beat. You can't use Escape Artist to break out of your ankle bindings until you've broken out of your wrist bindings. You can use Strength Checks to get out of your ankle bindings while your hands are still bound; you can also do both at the same time, though doing so will incur a -2 circumstance penalty because you're concentrating on two things at once. But let's be honest, hulking out and breaking both bonds simultaneously would look dope and very comic-booky, so be my guest to try.

Oracle is still invisible, and Baydon is rapidly losing any appetite for facing his invisible assailant alone. The Bodak is obliterated, and the mummy is so far untouched. He's still carrying Richard's feet, but the Grapple check to escape it's grip likely won't be difficult given that it's distracted.
    Last edited by Molan; 2023-01-26 at 11:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Excellent excellent. And one last question: the weapons taken off us.. are they in a big pile. Back at the threshold where we got bamboozled, or did they set tucked under someone’s arm..?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Excellent excellent. And one last question: the weapons taken off us.. are they in a big pile. Back at the threshold where we got bamboozled, or did they set tucked under someone’s arm..?
    Literally just tossed to the side near the entrance. I was gonna have a skeleton go fetch them later if you would up in Anarky's cages. Oracle decided to thwart that potential outcome.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Ninja time! I have assumed I am first in this initiative order and ninj'd. Let me know if I misunderstood any of the scene layout there Molan.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well...that was awesome!

Part of me was skeptical you'd had the actions to pull off both ki powers but ringing fist really does not have any specifications that it takes a whole Swift to use. Go figure!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Yep, ringing fist is just a ki spend because it requires your attacks to function anyway. So hopefully we are getting back on the rails!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

This fight scene has been crazy cinematic so far, starting with a straight light beam disintegration, then Damien's ki powered precision breakout. Can't wait to see what's next, speaking of can we have the initiative list?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This fight scene has been crazy cinematic so far, starting with a straight light beam disintegration, then Damien's ki powered precision breakout. Can't wait to see what's next, speaking of can we have the initiative list?
    Seriously! Turning out super freaking cool so far.

Anyway, Initiative Order is:
    1. Nightwing
    2. Damien
    3. Barbara << We are here.
    4. Baydon
    5. Mummy
    6. Kate

I'll post for Nightwing now; it's a little gamey/meta-ish but we can just have him delay his turn and then go after Damien, given the binding he was in I think there's an argument to be made for that, plus it's easier for our purposes. As soon as I post, it's Jbe's turn, then two NPCs, then Feather.

EDIT: Post is up! Pass to you Jbe.
    Last edited by Molan; 2023-01-27 at 02:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not to give away *too* much of the game but you literally just need to blow on this dude and you'll have it lol. He is........very crispy.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I honestly think our best option is keeping up the momentum and slamming into the other mages with overwhelming force before they know what’s happening. I can hand out potions of resistance to everyone else which might help negate the worst of the dangers.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Agreed. Also, hey… how long ago did the necromancer leave the room? How “still downable” are they, especially for a time warping, teleporting spike Queen?
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-01-27 at 05:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I honestly think our best option is keeping up the momentum and slamming into the other mages with overwhelming force before they know what’s happening. I can hand out potions of resistance to everyone else which might help negate the worst of the dangers.
    Probably not a bad call, honestly, though you're working against an invisible clock so you don't know for sure when the cavalry will arrive. Still, every caster fewer is a big boon to your odds of success.

Baydon had brought you to a chamber off of the main corridor. (You can actually see where you are in roll20 right now, I've rejiggered the map to adjust to your current circumstances). It's a bit of a mystery why he bothered bringing you here; at first glance, the room looks like an empty closet. If I am remembering correctly doesn't Oracle have a magical secret door scanner? Do those automatically ping?

There are also five additional doors leading out of the main chamber -- not including the one you just walked through and the one you originally entered through. (so there's actualy 7 total but you've seen inside 2 of them).

Agreed. Also, hey… how long ago did the necromancer leave the room? How “in downable” are they, especially for a time warping, teleporting spike Queen?
    Havyn left 2 rounds ago moving at 30ft. per round. She exited through one of the doors nearest your position, marked on the roll20 map with an orange triangle. You do not know what's behind that door and therefore can't tell how far she has to walk to find Kysel / the Lounge and bring him back to show him "her prize". (I mean you guys. Get your minds out of the gutter. Jeez guys real mature.)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

I REALLY want to chase Havyn but I'm veering hard towards the birds in the hand instead of blundering into the bush and getting kicked to death by all the... raccoons in that bush.

Look, the point is, we can still get the jump on some of these other wiz-kids, like JBE said! :D

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a magic magic scanner but my magic secret door scanner has to be activated with spell slots and those are at a premium rn. Though I do have blindsight and blindsesne and arcane sight and probably still some lingering detect thoughts and magically enhanced listening.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmmm…. I’m gonna roll a straight wisdom roll to see if I chase Havyn down to lead the back into everyone else’s trap. Calling it a DC 10.

(1d20)[7]

Also what’s providing the lighting in here?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2023-01-27 at 07:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm…. I’m gonna roll a straight wisdom roll to see if I chase Havyn down to lead the back into everyone else’s trap. Calling it a DC 10.

[roll0]

Also what’s providing the lighting in here?
    Wisdom check fails.

Lighting is provided by what appear to be mundane torches, though Oracle (take 10 like 14 different possible ways) deduces after looking at them even for a moment that they're lit by cantrips rather than proper fuel, so as to not produce too much smoke down here. That makes sense, since there appears to be very little in the way of ventilation but quite a lot in the way of arcanists. All that being said, the cantrips only give off the light of regular torches.

EDIT: This environment is technically "low-light". I should have probably mentioned that. The torches are okay but not great, and the rogue magi are clearly comfortable skulking around in a dark creepy sewer dungeon. I don't believe my omission of the poorer lighting conditions would have had much of an impact just yet since all of the action has happened in relatively close quarters, but it is worth noting, especially given how shadows-friendly the Dark Knights/Bat Family are. Well, that and the fact that you broke into a Thieves Guild House.

It'll take a turn to free himself from the ropes entirely for sure. Then however long you think is fair to run over and get his gear, then back to break position by that first north door! Hopefully, since Nightwing doesn't have weapons to retrieve, he can be the agent of mercy. Can Barbara's brain powers detect anything on the other side of this door, or is it too short range?
    You're probably looking at 3 turns, or 18 seconds to complete those tasks. Nightwing can first aid Baydon back to Stable Condition.

Without giving too much away, a quick look at the trusty old ruler reveals that, were Oracle to stand next to you in front of that door, should would likely be able to get any of her 60ft. sensors to cover the entire next room. A shorter sensor -- if anything is limited to 30ft., for example -- would struggle to be as useful, but probably wouldn't be useless.

I say this because I am fairly confident detect spells have a 60ft. range if memory serves, but there are so many spells in 3.5e I tend to try not to guess what kinds of tricks Oracle might have up her sleeves at any given moment lol.

Yet another EDIT: It takes Nightwing 12 *seconds to stabilize Baydon, but he does so successfully. When we're ready to move IC I can articulate as much.
    Last edited by Molan; 2023-01-27 at 07:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

If everyone is ready to breach again at that 18 second mark, I guess we ought to go in. I'm going to assume that the mage beyond this door hasn't locked herself in just because.. it feels weird to do during the day. But if we try the handle and it doesn't open, I think we might go straight to Kate kicking it off its hinges!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Any objections to storming the next room?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I’m going to recast greater invisibility and offer everyone a potion of resistance. Then I’m good to go.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Innocuous second question:

How close to 0% are the odds that you guys are going to, once the heist is over, go back to the beginning of the dungeon and let Damien spelunk that tunnel below the trap door?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

If we somehow manage to pull through with flying colours, trouncing all the magi and anyone who comes downstairs… then maybe. But that seems unlikely. Like 2%, things are just too desperate.

Oh, and Damien would have taken one of those potions of resistance but I think it’s a clashing bonus type with his best of resistance.

Also also… I’m trusting knightwing to looted anything worthwhile off Baydon!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry, would have posted already but had like 103 proof scotch last night and then got caught up because I needed to change my card for roll 20 to get my little tokens to work. long story short I'll post today lol.

Scotch was good though, in case anyone wondered.