New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1254
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XIV

Manann's Keep, 26th Sommerzeit

"Stupid ogre," Urgrim said of Corrado. "We'd better get that woman out of there before she gets trampled."

Lifting his shield to deflect any wayward missiles or blows, Urgrim pushed into the crowd, trying to reach Marien so he could drag her away from the front.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not expecting this to necessarily go smoothly or unimpeded (by either side). The fact that he's using his shield might well make him a primary target of the Iron Company, even if just trying to get to Corrado doesn't, but Urgrim's trying not to do anything actively aggressive. He's willing to push a bit against the soldiers' resistance to try to reach Marien. If he gets to her, he just wants to drag her away - ideally away from the mill, but if the protesters are resistant to that, he will just pull her back into their ranks.

Let me know if you want tests or rolls!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

"Stubborn and deaf! Weren't you listening before, old man? You've got the whole town against you. Your patrols were the first of your men to go down!" Bardhyl retorted, trying not to betray his annoyance at failing to get past the Tilean's armour. Taking advantage of having pushed Orso back, he pressed forward, jabbing at him with a succession of lightning quick thrusts.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Full action: Swift attack vs. WS 53 (any hits are -10 to parry or dodge)
    (1d100)[27]
    (1d100)[50]
    (1d100)[12]

Damage
    (1d10)[7] or DoS +5
    (1d10)[4] or DoS +5
    (1d10)[7] or DoS +5

Ulric's Fury if applicable
    (1d100)[71], (1d100)[42], (1d100)[22]
    (1d10)[1],(1d10)[5], (1d10)[7]

Wounds remaining: 12/16
    FP remaining: 2/3

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Titan in the Playground

"Hrmm, could have led with that."

"Could've," Sieghard said. "But if word got back to Sforza that I had a source of food, he'd just snatch it up and even fewer people would be eating."

"We'd better get that woman out of there before she gets trampled."

Sieghard nodded. "You move her to safety. I'll see if I can keep anyone else from getting hurt. Or at least buy you some time."

"Corrado, that's enough," he said as he made his way to the front. "Were the prince's orders to collect his tax or to butcher his farmers?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Likewise, if there are any obstacles that would keep Sieghard from getting to the front of this or being heard that would necessitate some sort of test, please let me know. The above assumed there's not.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla had followed Sieghard and Urgrim, her eyes wide as she witnessed things escalate. A moment of hesitation and she stepped forward to offer a hand and a smile to Marien, trying not to let the anxiety - or the sense of thrill - in her eyes show.

Part of her wanted things to beak out here and now so she'd have an excuse not to go back to Irene. It would be so much simpler...

"Let me look at that bruise my dear, come on, this way," she said, deliberately not looking at the thug who had caused said injury. She had no wish to undermine Sieghard's negotiation here!

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

"That's what you wanted, huh?" roared Orso, coming at Bardhyl with great hewing swings of his sword. Bardhyl's spear slipped through the openings he left, piercing him in the side, then again in the arm. The big Tilean staggered but kept his feet. "But you're finding out, the Iron Company don't go down so easy!"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One more All-Out Attack for the road:

(1d100)[43], (1d10+5)[14]
    (1d100)[85], (1d10+5)[14]

BardhylDodge - (1d100)[90]

Looks like one hit, but it's a biggie! You may want to Fortune that Dodge so I'll leave it to you to narrate the outcome.

Mannan's Keep, 26th Sommerzeit

Corrado's countdown paused, as the sergeant gave Sieghard a look that could have boiled an egg while it was still inside the chicken.

"I am following my orders, signor Sieghard," he hissed, sotto voce. "Whose side are you on? Your Prince, or these rabble?" He jerked his head angrily towards the men and women still blocking the doors of the mill. "You care about them so much, get them out of our way!"

Urgrim and Jarla, meanwhile, had very effectively got the stunned Marien out of the way, benefiting greatly from Urgrim's ability to walk under the height of the pikes. She groaned, but didn't show any further signs of consciousness.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No tests needed for rescuing Marien!

For Sieghard's intervention, this is a very explosive situation, so you get 1 roll - whatever the outcome there won't be further back-and-forth. Choose wisely what skill to use and who to direct it at!
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-02-26 at 04:00 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

"I will," Sieghard replied, meeting Corrado's gaze. "The prince will have his tax, don't you worry."

He turned towards the mill and approached as close as he could without the farmers brandishing their makeshift weapons in his face. "I have an offer for you. I know that you're angry... That you fear what will happen if you give up what grain has been collected... But please at least here what I have to say."

"I will find more food for you," he continued. "The Iron Company's orders come directly from the Prince. One way or another, they'll have his tax collected. There's nothing I could say and nothing you could do that will change that, but what I can do is promise that I won't let you starve. I won't let your families starve. When the orcs threatened to overrun the south, I fought and bled to stop that from happening. I won't sit by and watch while famine takes the people I fought for. Nor do I want to see any of you throw your lives away for fear that there's no better option. No matter what happens here today, you have my word that I'll find more food for you. Let me help you before this goes any further than it already has. Please just put your weapons down and step aside so no one else is hurt."

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh boy, here goes something. Charm seemed to work on the people who were actually able to hear Sieghard before, so we'll try that with this group. All in on this one. I'll FP a reroll AND a +10 if they're necessary

(1d100)[85] vs 54 Charm (Base)
    (1d100)[82] reroll

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

A broad-shouldered man in a butcher's apron answered Sieghard. “You don't fight for us!” he said. “You fight for the Prince’s gold! You stand by and watch while they take the food out of our mouths, and then you say you're going to find more?” A ripple of agreement ran through the people beside him. “Who are you going to steal that from?”

From all around the mill, voices rose in noisy support. Now that the initial shock of the Iron Company's advance had died away, the camp had had time to recover its collective wits. Around fifty people were pressing in on the side where Urgrim and Jarla had dragged Marien, and on the other were sixty or seventy more.

<Myrmidia save us from bleeding hearts,> Sieghard heard Corrado mutter. Drawing in a deep breath, the sergeant raised his voice to his best stentorian road. <COMPANY! FORM SQUARE!>

The air filled with the clatter of pike-shafts and the stamping of boots as the soldiers reformed with clockwork precision. They were now arrayed in a hollow square, each face presenting a wall of points to the angry crowd surrounding them.

<Front face!> bellowed Corrado. <Down pikes!>

Twelve pikes thudded to the dirt on the side of the square facing the mill. Twelve swords flashed in the sun as they left their sheaths.

<With me!>

With a purposeful stride, he advanced on the doors. His eyes were fixed on the man in the butcher’s apron who had spoken back.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The time for words is over. Up to you now whether to stand aside or physically intervene.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

For a moment it looked like one of Orso's wild swings was going to take Bardhyl's arm off, but at the last moment he sidestepped with almost contemptuous ease.

"You're right - this is taking an annoyingly long time. I don't suppose you'd just leave if we ask nicely?" he taunted the sergeant while keeping up his driving spear attacks.

Show
    Full action: Swift attack vs. WS 53 (any hits are -10 to parry or dodge)
    (1d100)[17]
    (1d100)[3]
    (1d100)[48]

Damage
    (1d10)[10] or DoS +5
    (1d10)[10] or DoS +5
    (1d10)[8] or DoS +5

Wounds remaining: 12/16
    FP remaining: 1/3

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Sheath your damn swords!" Sieghard spat, putting himself between Corrado's men and the butcher. "I told you I'd handle this!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Since this isn't going to work and I expect Sieghard is about to be attacked, his first round actions if he wins initiative are Defensive Stance as they get close, and at the last moment for dramatic purposes, quickdraw his shield.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2024-02-28 at 02:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

As Orso bulled towards him, Bardhyl’s spear caught the Tilean in the side, piercing between the breastplate and the fauld. The point drove in deep, Orso’s momentum carrying onto it. A pained grunt was all that escaped his lips, as if all the breath had left his lungs. Wrenching the spear free, Bardhyl struck again, and again. His enemy managed to stagger out of the way of the first blow, but the second speared him through the leg, pinning him to the packed earth floor.

At the sight of the sergeant falling, Bardhyl’s men sent up a ferocious cheer. The second barricade fell with an almighty clatter, and the mob surged forwards, driving the surviving Iron Company back towards the corner of the hall. Bardhyl heard the shouts of surrender, and the sounds of weapons being thrown down.

“You’ll hang for this,” rasped Orso, through gritted teeth. Under his impaled leg, a great pool of blood was spreading with alarming speed. “You and all your mob. Food for your bloody crows.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Bardhyl wants his followers to immediately accept the Iron Company’s surrender, he may need to roll Command!

Manann’s Keep, 26th Sommerzeit

Corrado stopped just short of Sieghard. His jaw was clenched, and his knuckles were white around the grip of his sword. For a moment, Sieghard thought the Tilean was going to hit him - but he evidently thought better of it.

“It’s a strange world we’re in, now,” he said, “when a man like you is made a lord, and a man like me is still just a soldier.” Taking a deep breath, he looked Sieghard straight in the eye. “My orders, from Prince Sforza himself, are to seize this grain. Yours are to assist me. Are you refusing that order, your lordship?”

The swords had stayed drawn.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Stubby and rough as they were, Urgrim's hands were, sometimes, healer's hands. They gently moved across Marien's brow, assessing the severity of her wound.

The dwarf's ears, though, were pricked for back-and-forth between Sieghard and Corrado. "This is going to get worse before it gets better," he muttered, matter-of-factly, to Jarla. He was tensed, on his haunches, and while his left hand still cupped Marien's bloody head, the right was hovering by his waist near his own tools of bloodletting.

Show
    I'll throw a Heal test at Marien to provide first aid. Heal 54 - (1d100)[51]

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"This will be done without you slaughtering a pack of farmers to satisfy your own itch for action," Sieghard replied. "Until every other option is exhausted, you will sheath your swords, stand back, and let me handle this."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2024-02-28 at 05:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Corrado gave a short, dark chuckle. "Let you handle it? We just saw you try. They call you a liar." He raised his eyebrows at Sieghard. "What are you going to do, ask nicely again?"

He shook his head. "You saw how I handled the old woman." That was an uncharitable description - Marien looked no older than he was. "My boys won't hurt them - more than they need to."

Turning, he made a sharp gesture to the twelve men he had called forward. "Avanti, avanti!" The soldiers started forward again - there was no way Sieghard could block all of them.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stopping here to see if you want to escalate or not. Unless Sieghard & co. want to take a swing at somebody I won't bother with initiative.
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-02-29 at 04:42 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

"Better men than your Captain have tried, and it looks like you won't be around to see it, you stubborn fool," Bardhyl shot back before pulling his spear free.

Glancing up he looked about quickly to see how the fight was going. "Your sergeant is dying! Lay down your arms!" he shouted to any of the Iron Company still undecided about surrendering.

"Everyone! Remember - if they surrender, they live!" he shouted in vrani to his fighters. "We need them alive for now!"

Show
    Command test (1d100)[59] vs. 58

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "When you're the biggest dog in the kennel, you can be as mad as you please.
    "Suppose so," Elsa allowed. She smirked. "Until an elf takes your head off."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard tensed when the Iron Company started forward again, but kept his hand away from his sword. He knew that giving in to that reflex that would only make the situation worse.

"Are you so afraid that I might succeed, soldier?" Sieghard asked, emphasizing the last word. "Give it until dawn," he suggested. "And if I fail, I'll stand aside and you can tell the Prince what a fool I was wasting my time and how strange it is that a man like me is a lord while a man like you is still just a soldier."

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl

The surviving Iron Company needed no persuading now to surrender, but it took too long for the fierce joy of the attackers to give way to Bardhyl’s command. It wasn’t until Grim and the others took up the order, bellowing at their fellows to stop, that the last sounds of fighting died away.

Six of Orso’s men were still standing - three Tilean veterans and two Shepherd’s Valley recruits. They had given a good account of themselves. The floor of the hall was strewn with bodies, most of them vrani. Scanning the faces of those still standing, Bardhyl’s pulse quickened again as he realised he couldn’t see Kreshnik among them.

“Chief!” called out Afrim. “Over here!”

Kreshnik was lying where the second table had been overturned, with a deep wound between his ribs. With a cry, Zana ran over to his side. He was still breathing, but only shallowly - blood bubbled at the corner of his mouth with each breath.

Raising her head to look at the survivors, Zana fixed her tear-streaked eyes on the nearest of the Tileans. The bloody sword at his feet looked a decent match for the wound. He raised his hands as the vrani closed in around him.

Arrendiamo!” he said, “arrendiamo!

Manann’s Keep

Sieghard’s words didn’t stop the Iron Company men marching past him - Corrado was the only one whose attention he held.

“But why should I wait, your lordship?” said the Tilean, with a crooked smile. “I can already tell him that.”

Sieghard heard scuffling and shouts behind him as the soldiers reached the door. Two of them seized the man in the butcher’s apron, heaving him out of the line of his fellows. Others tried to help him, but the other Iron Company men drove them back with fists, boots and sword-pommels. A grey-haired man fell to the dirt, clutching at a dislocated knee. A woman staggered back, clutching at a broken nose that was streaming bright red blood.

<Secure the mill!> shouted Corrado, raising his voice to shout over Sieghard’s shoulder. <Let’s be done here!>

Outside the perimeter of the pike square, the voice of the crowd swelled with anger. Urgrim and Jarla had to fight to keep their feet as the people around them pressed forwards - only the panicked shouts of those in front stopped them from being pushed onto the waiting pikes. Unable to reach the men behind them, they showered them instead with abuse and clods of earth. There was a tinny clang, and one of the men in the second rank stumbled back. Something hard had struck him on the helmet.

<They’re throwing stones!> came a shout in Tilean from somewhere in the ranks behind Corrado. The Iron Company didn’t need further instruction - even as Corrado turned away from Sieghard to see what was happening, the pikes of the front rank thrust forward together, and the angry cries of the crowd turned to screams. The mob drew back like a wave, leaving six or seven of their number on the ground behind them, pierced through by the pikes. The Tileans held their ground, daring anyone to come in thrusting distance again.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I have Strength tests from Urgrim and Jarla to keep their footing as the crowd pulls back, please. Failure means you’re Prone and separated from Marien (though I’m not tracking combat time yet unless a PC gets involved in fighting, so feel free to get up again).
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

Bardhyl gritted his teeth in frustration and anger as he looked around the hall. Too many down, far too many, he chided himself. Just then, Afrim called out to him.

"Oh no," he mouthed as he caught sight of Kreshnik and then the Tilean who may well have been his doom. Without thinking, he strode over to soldier, pulled back his fist, and laid him out cold.

Turning to Kreshnik and Zana, he knelt beside the young fighter and took his hand in his own. "Kreshnik lad, can you hear me? We've won - the hall is ours, Morr's Seat is ours. Today you struck a blow for freedom, for the future of all our people. You're a hero, lad!" he said softly, hoping that Kreshnik could still hear him.
    Last edited by rax; 2024-03-05 at 05:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

Kreshnik was still conscious, but couldn't form words to answer - by the sound of his breathing, Bardhyl guessed the Tilean's sword had pierced a lung.

"Stay with us, brother," said Zana, holding him close. "Kreshnik! Stay with us!"

"I don't hear fighting outside," said Grim, stepping up beside the three of them. "We need healers in here. Not just for him, either."

Grim was right - the fight had taken its toll on both sides, and besides the walking wounded, it was difficult to tell which of the casualties were living or dead. Orso was still clinging on, though Bardhyl's spear had nailed him to the floor.

"What about this lot?" demanded one of the vrani, brandishing a blood-speckled club at the surrendered Tileans. They had all seen Bardhyl's punch, and the cries of arrendiamo redoubled. "What are we going to do with them?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

"Aye, you're right," Bardhyl looked up from where he knelt and said to Grim. "Send for Wadim - tell him we need him here as quickly as possible. Then send runners to find out how things are going in town and to round up the rest of the healers."

"Valmir - take care of the prisoners. Make sure we've got everyone in the hall corralled, then strip them to their breeches and tie 'em up. If anyone makes a run for it, kill them. We'll decide where to hold them once we've got the full picture from the town."

"Jakov, Senka. Take care of the dead and wounded, please. We need to know our casualties and we need to clear a spot where the healers can get a look at the injured."

Rising to his feet, he turned to address the prisoners. "Men of the Iron Company, listen to me! You have surrendered, and so you shall live. But understand this - because of the deaths you have caused here today, your lease on life depends on you making yourselves useful to me. The same goes for your access to food and water - the very things your Prince was happy to rob from us to keep you fat and happy. Over the coming days, I will be asking many questions. If I am dissatisfied with the quality of your answers or your willingness to provide them, I will turn you over to the friends and relatives of those who died today, and you will pay the blood price for what you have done. Am I making myself clear?!" he barked.

Show
    Is there anything Bardhyl can do with a Heal test to prevent or at least delay Kreshnik from dying? And will he make things worse if he fails?

21. - Top - End - #1221

BlackDragon

Manann’s Keep

It was like being caught up in a fast flowing river for all the good struggling helped. Jarla found herself torn away from Marien and Urgrim and surrounded by a crowd of frightened, angry civilians. They were not angry at her specifically but that hardly mattered when elbows thumped into the back of her head, knocking her hat askew and rough feet trod on her expensive shoes. She might as well have been a chicken in an coop with a fox on the prowl.

Act you idiot, she thought, at Sieghard. Can't you get it through your thick skull you'll either have to back down or fight?

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

"Deaths we caused?" piped up one of the survivors - a lowland man, not a Tilean. "You were trying to kill us!"

Valmir stepped forwards and shoved the man in the chest. "Shut your mouth," he snarled. "All of you! I don't want to hear a word." Looking around, he set his eyes on the nearest of the real Tileans. "What are you waiting for?" he snapped. "Down to your breeches, like he said. Quickly now!"

One of the other survivors opened his mouth to complain, but was elbowed in the gut by one of his comrades before he could speak. Silently, they allowed themselves to be herded into the corner of the hall, where they began to strip off their armour.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No reason you can't roll a Heal test for first aid. I doubt Bardhyl can make it much worse than it already is.

The rush back from the pikes was too strong for Urgrim and Jarla to resist - like boats in a rip tide, they were borne back with it, losing sight of Marien in the crush. All around them was a din of voices, growing even louder as the crowd saw the bleeding bodies they had left on the ground behind them. They screamed their names, calling out to them to crawl to safety. Few of them could answer.

A woman darted forward, bending low beneath the level of the pikes to try to help an old man who was still feebly trying to crawl away. A roar of anger swelled from the crowd as the pikes jabbed at her too, driving her back. Stones began to fly again, those that struck home clattering loudly from the Tileans' armour.

"Figli di puttana," muttered Corrado, his eyes flitting across the faces of the angry mob. "See, your lordship? This is what happens when the rabble see us fighting. They think we are weak." A flying clod of earth broke in pieces against his pauldron. "We have to put an end to this now."

He turned away from Sieghard, back to the massed ranks of the pikes behind him. He lifted his sword up high over his head, so that it flashed like a mirror in the sun, and raised his voice to a bellow:

<IRON COMPANY! CHARGE PIKES!>

As one, the Tileans lifted their pikes to shoulder-height, so that the points were towards their opponents' throats.

<ON MY MARK, ADVANCE! QUICK STEP!>

His sword swung down, and somewhere in the formation, a bugler sounded the signal, one long blast followed by four short ones. Marching in time, the three sides of the Iron Company square that faced away from the mill began to push out, moving with surprising speed. The crowd could not retreat as fast, those at the front being blocked in by those behind - and in any case, many of them seemed more in the mood to rush forward. With the Iron Company not slowing down, this second clash would be bloodier than the first.
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-03-08 at 06:21 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"They think you're no better than a damn orc!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick draw. Swift attack.

(1d100)[37] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[15]

(1d100)[18] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[12]

(1d100)[41] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[10]

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Corrado barely had time to turn around before Sieghard's blow smashed him in the head, so hard it dented his helmet. The man was sent reeling, speechless - from the drunken way he staggered, he looked concussed.

Dropping one of the peasants he had been pummelling, one of the soldiers in front of the mill doors looked round at the sound of the clang. "Ehi!" he shouted, pointing at Sieghard. "Sergente!"

Two or three other Iron Company heads turned, allowing their erstwhile victims to crawl away. All their eyes were fixed on Sieghard.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:

Jarla - (1d10+62)[63]
    Sieghard - (1d10+47)[53]
    Urgrim - (1d10+36)[41]
    COMPANIA_DI_FERRO - (1d10+36)[42]
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

Satisfied that Valmir had matters in hand, Bardhyl turned his attention back to Kreshnik.

"I don't know if we can save him, but at least we can make him more comfortable. It looks like that bastard stuck him in the lung. Let's try and seal the wound first, eh?" he suggested gently to Zana.

Nodding in understanding, Zana cut a large piece of cloth from her shift and wadded it up. Bardhyl pressed it hard against Kreshnik's wound. "Now we need bandages to keep it in place. Senka! Find us some bandages, quick as you can!" he called to his friend.

Spoiler: Heal test
    Show
    Heal test (1d100)[81] vs. Int 44

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stared directly at the Iron Company man who was pointing. "I didn't hurt him," he said, a deadpan mockery of Corrado's own words. "More than I needed to. Sheath your damn swords and end this madness."

Spoiler
    Show
    Under the assumption that the chance of hitting Corrado will be no different now than it will be when engaged with the other soldiers (can't find anything in the rules implying it would be). Defensive stance. Quickdraw shield. No expecting the Iron Company to listen, but I don't think Sieghard can break the pike line on his own and if takes the offensive and charges one of the soldiers by the mill, Corrado is free to recover. I could just try to finish him off now, but that seems overly bloodthirsty from Sieghard and part of me hopes that not doing so might affect the number of men who charge him. Best to minimize the chance of being hit until he can actually hit back.

27. - Top - End - #1227

BlackDragon

Jarla

Jarla hesitated. She could just about see and hear Sieghard was - idiotically - still trying to talk to the Iron Company who would no doubt slaughter him within moments if help didn't arrive. His only hope was to sow some confusion in the pike line... or have someone else do it for him.

"Sigmar save me," Jarla muttered, and with a smooth motion drew both her pistols, held one straight up and fired into the air:

"The next pikeman who takes a pace forward will get a bullet through their brainpan!" she shouted at the top of her lugs as the bang of the pistol echoed away.
    Last edited by RossN; 2024-03-14 at 06:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim rolled back, and propped himself back up onto his feet with his shield, after the surge of bodies threw him and Jarla away from the crowd's epicentre. His heartbeat roared in his ears.

He drew his axe, and smashed it against his shield to punctuate Jarla's warning.

"We should get closer to Sieghard," he muttered to Jarla, not taking his eyes away from the Iron Company formation. "Can you see a way through or around, Schreiber?"

Show
    Mechanically, Urgrim will follow Jarla's lead here, so if she's posturing for a round, he'll adopt a defensive stance. His comment on reaching Sieghard is only his off-the-cuff suggestion; if Jarla tries to do some crowd work on the 'east' flank, Urgrim will stay with her. (I am not going to have Urgrim try to do any crowd work, though.)

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Bardhyl, 24th Sommerzeit

The chief’s hall contained many things, but not a ready supply of bandages. After a short search, they resorted to tearing long strips out of the tunics the Iron Company prisoners had been forced to take off. Their owners looked on from the corner where Valmir had herded them, shivering and miserable.

Bardhyl himself bandaged Kreshnik’s wound up as best as he could, but it didn’t seem to make much difference. The young man’s breathing was a reedy rattle, and his face had turned leaden grey - almost blue. Bardhyl was wracking his brains for what else he could do when he heard the doors swing open behind him. There was Grim, with Wadim following behind him.

The Raven Speaker stopped just inside the doorway, taking a deep breath of the air inside the hall. To Bardhyl all it smelt of was spilt blood, but the old man seemed to relish the scent.

“Well, well,” he said, his staff tapping on the floor as he walked over to where Orso lay sprawled. The Tilean wasn’t moving any more - either dead or unconscious from the amount of blood he had lost. “We did it. It’s done.”

He turned his good eye to Bardhyl, and only then saw Zana’s wordless, imploring look. Walking over, he crouched down next to Kreshnik and held out a hand over the young man’s mouth, feeling his breath. Setting down his staff, he used his other hand to move Bardhyl’s bandages, and put his ear to the wound. After a few seconds he straightened up, looked at Bardhyl and shook his head.

“Nothing we can do,” he said. “Morr has chosen him today.” A wracking sob escaped Zana’s lips, and she wrapped her brother in her arms, even as his eyes flickered shut. Rising stiffly back upright, Wadim turned Bardhyl aside.

“Your plan worked,” he said, quiet enough not to disturb her grief. “A few losses, but none of the soldiers got away. Half of them went down fighting, the other half are prisoners.” He looked around the hall again, his eye roaming over the bodies that lay scattered across the floor. They didn’t seem to trouble him. “Morr’s Seat is ours again. What do you want to do with it?”

Manann’s Keep, 26th Sommerzeit

Outside the square

The roar of Jarla’s shot made the crowd draw back around her, but didn’t slow the advance of the Iron Company. They were hardened soldiers, used to the thunder of cannon or a cavalry charge. A single pistol wasn’t going to stop them.

Screams split the air again as the front rank of the pikes made contact, spearing those too slow to stand aside. A big man in the crowd tried to rush forward, grabbing the head of the nearest pike and forcing it out of the way. Two pikes from the rear rank pierced him before he’d made it a yard, dropping him to the ground. Those who for a moment had looked like they might follow him fell back in fear.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Jarla and Urgrim hold their current position, next turn the pike line will reach them.

Inside the square

Sieghard stared directly at the Iron Company man who was pointing. "I didn't hurt him," he said, a deadpan mockery of Corrado's own words. "More than I needed to. Sheath your damn swords and end this madness."
    The Iron Company men hesitated for a moment, looking to each other for some indication of what to do next. They seemed to reach the same conclusion together - with fierce yells, two of them launched themselves at Sieghard, swords drawn.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 Charge Attacks.

(1d100)[99], (1d10+4)[14]
    (1d100)[88], (1d10+4)[7]

(1d100)[70], (1d10+4)[7]
    (1d100)[78], (1d10+4)[6]

Sieghard_Parry - (1d100)[91]
    Sieghard_Dodge - (1d100)[38]

Don't look like hits to me.
    Last edited by LCP; 2024-03-15 at 05:13 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Fine, Sieghard thought, resigning himself to what was to come. Everything he had tried to prevent the slaughter had failed, there was nothing left he could do but accept it and make sure it wasn't just innocent blood spilled. He was so utterly tired of Sforza that he had little concern outside of what was around him here and now.

The Iron Company soldiers charged and he caught the first man's blade on his shield. He turned the second's attack aside with his sword and lunged at him before he could recover.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift attack with some conditions for who Sieghard targets.

1) I'm not sure of Corrado recovers next turn, but if he does, Sieghard prioritizes him until he's dead/incapacitated/stunned for longer/otherwise kept from getting back in the fight. Otherwise, he focuses on the Iron Company first.
    2) If, after Sieghard's first two attacks, he's done enough damage to have a decent chance of dealing a critical hit to the Iron Company soldier, the third attack will be against the same man. We'll call the threshold 10 or more wounds dealt without incapacitating him for Sieghard to use attack 3 to go for the kill.
    3) If the conditions for neither 1 nor 2 are met, attack 3 will be against Corrado. Doesn't come up often, so reminder that attacks against Corrado are at +20 since he's stunned.

(1d100)[85] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[15]

(1d100)[18] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[12]

(1d100)[24] vs 66
    (1d10+7)[9] (DoS houserule boosts this to 11)
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2024-03-16 at 01:51 PM.