New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

Schroeder's hand dropped to the hilt of his blade, though he didn't yet draw it out. Instead, his mind frantically tried to figure out anything about the white wolf and the strange little yellow bird squawking around it.

"Is that attack body language...?!" asked the musician. Had there been a growl or baring of fangs?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

(1d20+18)[29] Know: Arcana + Collector of Stories
    (1d20+14)[20] Know: Nature + Collector of Stories
    (1d20+14)[17] Know: Dungeoneering + Collector of Stories
    (1d20+14)[23] Know: The Planes + Collector of Stories

Let me know if I need to roll Local/Religion/Psionics

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Schroeder Miridathi
    M NG Human Bard6/Lyrical Thaumaturge5, Level 11, Init 3, HP 66/66, Speed 30
    AC 23, Touch 15, Flat-footed 20, Fort 7, Ref 14, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
    Crystal Echoblade 8/3 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
    Soulfire, 7/day mists conceal wearer for 1 minute, vision not obscured Mithralmist Shirt +1, Crystal of Bent Sight, Wand Chamber Mithral Buckler +1 (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 26
    Condition Cold Resistance 5
    Immunity to Blindness & Dazzling Effects (Googles of the Golden Sun)
    Damage Reduction 1/- for 10HP (Least Iron Ward Diamond)
    Mass Conviction: 3 hours 40 minutes (CL 11, 10 minutes/level, extended) +3 Morale to saves

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Schroeder thinking/speaking "Is that attack body language...?!

You do not think so this is more akin to the act of a pet dog excited to see a person or it's master.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Finn arrives back at the party's position moments before the white dire wolf and the yellow bird approach the group. Not being very used to animals, although he's a passable rider, Finn shows the same level of doubt as the others. He looks at the others - "No one really into puppies, uh?"

When Schroeder points out the beast's body language and the possibility that the creature is not hostile, Finn rummages through his Haversack and produces a daily trail ration. He rips the bag open and throws it at the ground, towards the dire wolf, about 20 ft from the group. - "Whatchu doin' snooping around, you big furball?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

the Yellow bird accelerates past the dire wolf which stops short of the party about 20ft away as it looks at all of you, the yellow bird however flys around then lands on Alreds head and with squawk and chirp away

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

d20 Re: Holiday One Shot Adventure

Perplexed... Ilean can only frown as she looks at the bird. It's not a mean frown, but rather one as if to say that she wished she knew what the creature was saying. She ponders the tweets...

She is, however, still mindful of the, oh, large pony-sized wolf... There might be a reason she's still alive, after all.

Out of Character

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+12)[27]
    This is an attempt to determine what this twitter bird might be hinting at! Observing body language and cross-referencing it with anything that she might have read about birds, and all that.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

6. - Top - End - #96

RedWizardGuy

Alred tries not to move his head too much as he speaks "They seem friendly enough, but I'm more of a plant person"

7. - Top - End - #97

"Well, I'm glad we don't have to fight these creatures..." Quinton remarked as he stared in mild amusement at the bird on Alred's head, "But...what do they want? Do they want us to leave or...go somewhere with them?"
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Out of nowhere slowly materializing as though from nothingness you see at first the teeth, then the nose followed by a face, ears and eventually the rest of the body of a oversized blue grey housecat.

in common to Ilean it speaks, the bird is telling the dog to mind his manners and behave if he expects that one "pointing with its tail at Alred" to like him. you may call me Gremalkin "pointing with its tail at Ilean"

What brings you to the haunted mansion Gremalkin asks?
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-19 at 05:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

HalflingRangerGuy

"Huh..." - Finn looks at the new arrival with curiosity - "That's unexpected."

"Well met, mr. Gremalkin." - Finn salutes the creatures and creeps closer to Quinton.

He whispers to the big guy: "I'll leave to your capable hands, oh, party spokesperson. I'd avoid lying, but please make sure to let them know that we're not set on who's to blame about anything and are leaning towards investigation and not extermination."

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    He whispers to the big guy: "I'll leave to your capable hands, oh, party spokesperson. I'd avoid lying, but please make sure to let them know that we're not set on who's to blame about anything and are leaning towards investigation and not extermination."
    "Right, right..." Quinton replied to Finn in a whisper of his own before turning to face Gremalkin, "Well met, Gremalkin," He said with a polite bow, "We have been assigned by Lady Vanpelt to investigate her former home and see if we can help her recover her property here. We're uncertain who is responsible for the current state of the manor, of course, but we intend to find out as part of our investigation."
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2022-12-20 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Fixing Colored Text
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Schroeder's nose twitched uncomfortably, no doubt due to the onset of being exposed to animal dander. Still, not having to fight the beasts was a welcome respite...

...if the cat could be trusted, that is.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Schroeder Miridathi
    M NG Human Bard6/Lyrical Thaumaturge5, Level 11, Init 3, HP 66/66, Speed 30
    AC 23, Touch 15, Flat-footed 20, Fort 7, Ref 14, Will 11, Base Attack Bonus 7/2
    Crystal Echoblade 8/3 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
    Soulfire, 7/day mists conceal wearer for 1 minute, vision not obscured Mithralmist Shirt +1, Crystal of Bent Sight, Wand Chamber Mithral Buckler +1 (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 26
    Condition Cold Resistance 5
    Immunity to Blindness & Dazzling Effects (Googles of the Golden Sun)
    Damage Reduction 1/- for 10HP (Least Iron Ward Diamond)
    Mass Conviction: 3 hours 40 minutes (CL 11, 10 minutes/level, extended) +3 Morale to saves

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    "We have been assigned by Lady Vanpelt to investigate her former home and see if we can help her recover her property here. We're uncertain who is responsible for the current state of the manor, of course, but we intend to find out as part of our investigation."
    Clearly ignoring Quinton, yet responding to the question asked speaking towards Ilean.

Lady Vanpelt.. huh I thought she was dead, or do you mean the brat child Lucille ?
    Either way I would say Laris the brat childs younger brother is responsible. every year its the same thing oh great gord this and that , or oh fat man who showers all with gifts, Laris is responsible, the dog and bird avoid the house and most of the estate only living over there in my stables with me. smart dog he smelled you coming in here and decided to go play. though if you want more answers you might visit the gravedigger/groundskeeper, the old man should be somewhere around near the graveyard or thicket.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

Alred smiles briefly "It's always a nice change to meet interesting creatures that aren't trying to kill you, I guess we're headed to the graveyard, where that smell of rotten flesh apparently comes from." He'll also try to approach the wolf in a friendly manner, maybe see if he can pet it, though he really doesn't know what he's doing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So handle animal is actually trained only, and Alred does not have it, hopefully that won't matter too much since they're already friendly.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Alred steps forward hand outstretched towards the dire wolf, getting quite the surprise when the dire wolf not only comes over but places its head on your hand, with the tiny yellow bird flying about chirping away and then it lands on the dogs back side.

15. - Top - End - #105

Ilean blinks. Hard. To the... creature? She says, "This is unexpected... Erm... the others speak true enough, we are here to help the Vanpelts, but there's obviously more to this than can be expected."

Reaching into her bag... and then the pouch within her bag... Ilean produces something suitable for avian or feline consumption. Perhaps a leafy green, or a nut. Her rations did have a lot of kale and nuts, amid jerkies and fruits. Whatever the case, this is given to the inquiring critter.

"I'd love to stay and chat, friend..." She says to the Gremalkin, "But duty and your word calls us to the graveyard. Farewell, and safe travels."

To her companions, she mouths, "What?!". Despite all the marvellous and malign things she's seen, she still seems surprised by this interaction.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

16. - Top - End - #106

HalflingRangerGuy

Finn gets interested at the mention of this "great gourd" - "It's the second time someone mentions this 'Great Gourd'... Is it some kind of cult or religion? The garden is full of overgrown vegetables, particularly pumpkins and watermelon. Are those regular vegetables or are they the kind that attack and eat unsuspecting adventurers?"

He iniatially asks Gremalkin directly, then turns to Ilean, so she can ask him if Finn's ignored. - "Anyway, does the garden have dangers of its own that you're aware? Also... Is this gravedigger friendly? The graveyard has a strong smell about it... That's not proper. Does it have undead hiding in there?"

He then turns to the dire wolf and points to his trail rations at his feet - "So... Are you gonna eat that?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"And just how much should we trust this Lucille?" asked Schroeder. Good grief...we should have asked for payment up front...

18. - Top - End - #108

RedWizardGuy

"Oh at this point I don't trust the Vanpelts at all, but this place is both unusual and dangerous, so i can't say I regret accepting the job."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Finn gets interested at the mention of this "great gourd" - "It's the second time someone mentions this 'Great Gourd'... Is it some kind of cult or religion? The garden is full of overgrown vegetables, particularly pumpkins and watermelon. Are those regular vegetables or are they the kind that attack and eat unsuspecting adventurers?"

He iniatially asks Gremalkin directly, then turns to Ilean, so she can ask him if Finn's ignored. - "Anyway, does the garden have dangers of its own that you're aware? Also... Is this gravedigger friendly? The graveyard has a strong smell about it... That's not proper. Does it have undead hiding in there?"

He then turns to the dire wolf and points to his trail rations at his feet - "So... Are you gonna eat that?"
    Gremalkin, shifts forms right before your eyes to something a bit more humanoid(human), Pointing at Ilean, speaking Master. Pointing at Finn speaking friend of master.

speaking to all: I do not know what lies in the garden nor most of the grounds as I said I live in the stables with the dog and bird.
    I would use caution no matter where you are here as all is definitely not all right.

The caretaker/gravedigger/gardner, what ever you may call him, he comes by the stables and feeds us daily so I would say he is friendly enough.

Speaking back to Ilean, I grant you my last life may you use it only in the upmost dire of conditions, and with those words Gremalkin Vanishes without a trace. << nothing , not even true sight will spot Gremalkin>>

The dog and bird eat the food provided by Finn
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-21 at 12:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

HalflingRangerGuy

"So, what do you all think? Straight to look for this caretaker or let's explore the garden before? I would usually want to explore the sectors as we walk by them, to avoid being surprised from the back... But, if this individual is the estate's gardener and caretaker, he may get upset seeing us wandering around the place. Probably best to look for this person before we explore the rest of the area. What do you say?"

"Either way, let me take a look at any door, porch, gateway or the like before crossing..."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"This caretaker might have some more information as to just what exactly has infested this place and what in the Nine Hells is up with the Vanpelts. And, if he's survived this long without being attacked, maybe he knows something about how to ward ourselves..." Schroeder offered with a shrug.

22. - Top - End - #112

Ilean seems very unsettled... not by the Gremalkin's inability to answer questions that they likely have no answer to given the nature of this strange place, but their willingness to throw their last life... to a mortal.

"Y...eah..." Looking to her companions from the space that the Grimalkin occupied, Ilean looks to Finn. "I'll come with you, just in case there are any magical traps that are beyond even your scope."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

The Party all goes together towards the Garden , once you arrive you see all manner of Fresh growing or ripening vegetables, tubers and some vine fruit. One portion of the garden it has been clearly set aside for watermelon and pumpkin, As those are currently growing to rather extreme sizes...

(OOC let me know if you want to investigate here further)

Traversing onwards off in the distance you can see what is clearly the graveyard, as there are exactly 11 headstones, there is a small shed nearby that has its door open. as you approach the shed which is just outside of the graveyard you can clearly see a very old man he seems to be putting a shovel away, as he turns around he stares at you in disbelief, then pokes each of you in turn whether you want poked or not... speaking You! you are real, oh praise IO, the curse can finally be lifted...

Please tell me you are here to slay the Necromancer Laris ???

24. - Top - End - #114

"Those are some mighty big fruits and vegetables," Quinton remarked with a raised eyebrow as they passed them, Though...I don't know if I want to discover why they grow so large."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"...We're here to potentially reclaim this area for Lady Vanpelt and figure out what happened here...who is this Laris?" Quinton asked the man as he rubbed the spot where he'd been poked lightly with the palm of his left hand.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

HalflingRangerGuy

"So, mister..." - He waits to see if the man identifies himself - "... we're here to investigate what troubles this place. How long do you work here? Were you around before, when things were all right? Do you leave this place when you want to or are you somehow imprisoned here? Could you please elaborate on this curse? What do you know about Laris?"

Finn stops with the questions to avoid overwhelming the man, but there is a lot of answers needed and he'll likely question him more.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

"So, mister..." - He waits to see if the man identifies himself - "... we're here to investigate what troubles this place. How long do you work here? Were you around before, when things were all right? Do you leave this place when you want to or are you somehow imprisoned here? Could you please elaborate on this curse? What do you know about Laris?"

Finn stops with the questions to avoid overwhelming the man, but there is a lot of answers needed and he'll likely question him more.
    ahh yes answers, it started the evening of the fall dance in the house they were gathered in the ballroom for the dance, I was but a teen then having just been brought on by the elder vanpelts to tend the grounds, screams abound that evening and when I arrived they were all dead, I thought. I spent the next week burring them and when I was done I knew some must have survived. Laris had placed a curse upon the gate those that were here could never leave and those that entered over the years met their fates, but alas as strangers they could not go here in the graveyard so they were scattered to the garden. Laris is obsessed with bringing the great gord to life I fear such an abomination would certainly destroy all here and the village nearby. You, tell me you are here to lift the curse ?
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-12-23 at 06:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"How can such a curse be lifted?" The words that they might not be able to leave now felt like a cold stone deep in Schroeder's gut. "Does Laris have any weaknesses? How have you been able to survive here for so long?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    "How can such a curse be lifted?" The words that they might not be able to leave now felt like a cold stone deep in Schroeder's gut. "Does Laris have any weaknesses? How have you been able to survive here for so long?"
    responding, to lift the curse, kill Laris. I do not let him find me, I know nothing about laris as I hide from him.

However if you are to kill him you will need in the house, I need my garden tool from under the tree, fetch my garden tool & I will give you the house key.

29. - Top - End - #119

RedWizardGuy

"What tree would that be, also do you know anything about the giant plants?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

The grounds keeper points to the "ONLY" tree it has string, ribbons and bits of fabric in its limbs, That tree he states.

Giant plants? you must be talking about the oversized watermelons and pumpkins, I only know they have been growing large ever since the night of the massicare in the house.