New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Saga of Jorunn - A WFRP2e Solo Experience (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    stay upright roll

[roll0]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

oh no

willpower roll
    (1d100)[88]

in case i fail

(1d5)[1]

old jormung smiles upon me
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-04-03 at 10:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

for my 200 xp, i will switch to outlaw and grab the additional attack

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

oh no

willpower roll
    [roll0]

in case i fail

[roll1]

old jormung smiles upon me

Nice choice. And works well for the character, now that he's sort of a man with no tribe or country. And for where we are in the story.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Oh, woop - sorry, I might have missed this a little.

To be clear, the advance profile for one career never stacks with the last; it overlaps.

So the Advance Profile for Mercenary looks like this:

WS +10
    BS +10
    S + 5
    T +5
    Ag +5
    Int -
    WP + 5
    Fel -
    A +1
    W +2

and then all the associated skills and talents. The Outlaw advance profile looks like this:

WS +10
    BS +10
    S -
    T -
    Ag +10%*
    Int +5%
    WP -
    Fel -
    A +1
    W +2

All the ones struck out are advances you already would have taken to fill out Mercenary (if you finished the career). That +5% to Int is an advance you haven't taken in Mercenary (or Norse Berserker), so you'd be obliged to take that before you finish the career. And you had taken a +5% advance to Agility in Mercenary for 100XP; so with another 100XP advance in Outlaw, you would get another Agility advance for the full total of +10%.

But the attacks and wounds are just like the other stats; since you took +1 Attack in Mercenary, you can't improve it without a career that offers +2 Attacks. And any career that has +2 attacks is one of the bigboy careers it's hard to get to - Champion, Knight of the Inner Circle, Exalted Champion of Chaos, Grail Knight, Outlaw Chief, and so on.

You can purchase skills a second and third time from second and third careers, gaining +10 and +20 to that skill with each purchase; but that's the only cumulative advance feature of careers. So that may or may not change your ideas about what to move into, career wise.

Still, it's an easy career to get into (you have all the trappings already, and being an outlaw is just being a criminal of sorts, so doesn't require an exotic mentor or experience like becoming a priest of sigmar or a wizard might). And it has tons of versatile skills that aren't necessarilly throat-rippingly powerful but will actually let to have a chance to succeed on tests you're otherwise bound to mostly fail - Concealment, Ride, Scale Sheer Surface, Set Trap, Silent move; and +10%'s available for Dodge Blow, Perception, and Gossip; all which I'd recommend as they are just about the most commonly rolled skills.

Talent wise, Strike to Stun is quite good for you when you have massive strength in bear form - but you'll need to find someone to teach you how to get into that form without losing your mind to frenzy, hint hint. And Rover is great for the type of game you happen to be playing too.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Oh, woop - sorry, I might have missed this a little.

To be clear, the advance profile for one career never stacks with the last; it overlaps.

So the Advance Profile for Mercenary looks like this:

WS +10
    BS +10
    S + 5
    T +5
    Ag +5
    Int -
    WP + 5
    Fel -
    A +1
    W +2

and then all the associated skills and talents. The Outlaw advance profile looks like this:

WS +10
    BS +10
    S -
    T -
    Ag +10%*
    Int +5%
    WP -
    Fel -
    A +1
    W +2

All the ones struck out are advances you already would have taken to fill out Mercenary (if you finished the career). That +5% to Int is an advance you haven't taken in Mercenary (or Norse Berserker), so you'd be obliged to take that before you finish the career. And you had taken a +5% advance to Agility in Mercenary for 100XP; so with another 100XP advance in Outlaw, you would get another Agility advance for the full total of +10%.

But the attacks and wounds are just like the other stats; since you took +1 Attack in Mercenary, you can't improve it without a career that offers +2 Attacks. And any career that has +2 attacks is one of the bigboy careers it's hard to get to - Champion, Knight of the Inner Circle, Exalted Champion of Chaos, Grail Knight, Outlaw Chief, and so on.

You can purchase skills a second and third time from second and third careers, gaining +10 and +20 to that skill with each purchase; but that's the only cumulative advance feature of careers. So that may or may not change your ideas about what to move into, career wise.

Still, it's an easy career to get into (you have all the trappings already, and being an outlaw is just being a criminal of sorts, so doesn't require an exotic mentor or experience like becoming a priest of sigmar or a wizard might). And it has tons of versatile skills that aren't necessarilly throat-rippingly powerful but will actually let to have a chance to succeed on tests you're otherwise bound to mostly fail - Concealment, Ride, Scale Sheer Surface, Set Trap, Silent move; and +10%'s available for Dodge Blow, Perception, and Gossip; all which I'd recommend as they are just about the most commonly rolled skills.

Talent wise, Strike to Stun is quite good for you when you have massive strength in bear form - but you'll need to find someone to teach you how to get into that form without losing your mind to frenzy, hint hint. And Rover is great for the type of game you happen to be playing too.
    that went right over my head. and in mercenary, there is no intelligence boost

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

ok, i will take the intelligence boost to get it outta the way

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Haha, it was a big old block

I'm saying that, right now, your WS for example is on your sheet as 42/62, making it look like you've taken +20 in it somehow?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Haha, it was a big old block

I'm saying that, right now, your WS for example is on your sheet as 42/62, making it look like you've taken +20 in it somehow?
    +15 from norse berseker, +5 from mercenary.

whoops!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Right, that's what I thought!

But the way advances work in WFRP2e is that, since you've taken three advances in Norse Berserker (+5, +10, and then +15), you'll never be able to take another advance in WS until you enter a career that offers a +20 advance. Being a Mercenary can teach you about a whole lot of new features of warfare, but it has nothing to teach you about straight-up fighting. Being a sergeant, a veteran, a knight, or one of those advanced careers is where you gotta go if you're trying to push higher than that +15.

Same thing with Strength - you had two advances in strength (+5, +10) from Norse Berserker, so the +5 on the merc profile avails you nothing in that stat. The career profiles are Caps of how far you can grow beyond your base stats; not a flat amount you can add with each career you gain.

Does that make sense? For example, right now, Bertelis has been a Noble, a Knight errant, a Cadet, a Dilettante, and an Entertainer. Because those are all starting careers with small profile limits +10 in most cases, +15% in some - he has most of his stats with a bonus of about +10.

But not much more than that. He's an all rounder, not focused very strongly like Gimgroth was in combat.

Noble as +10% Fellowship; Knight Errant +5%; Cadet +10%; Dilettante +5%; and Entertainer +10%.

But Bertelis only has two advances in Fellowship, +5 and +10%, and he has had them since he was first rolled up as a Noble. If I could have +40% to Fellowship from all that combined, it'd be a different story! But that ain't how it works. When I get to Sergeant, I'll finally be able to go up to +20% for the first time ever!

So we might need to rejigger your advances a little. You're also obligated to take ALL the stat advances in a profile, all the skills and talents too. In Solo games like this, I don't charge you to switch careers unless you fail to complete it - so you might be in for an XP rebate, at the very least from that 100XP you paid to switch to Outlaw.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Right, that's what I thought!

But the way advances work in WFRP2e is that, since you've taken three advances in Norse Berserker (+5, +10, and then +15), you'll never be able to take another advance in WS until you enter a career that offers a +20 advance. Being a Mercenary can teach you about a whole lot of new features of warfare, but it has nothing to teach you about straight-up fighting. Being a sergeant, a veteran, a knight, or one of those advanced careers is where you gotta go if you're trying to push higher than that +15.

Same thing with Strength - you had two advances in strength (+5, +10) from Norse Berserker, so the +5 on the merc profile avails you nothing in that stat. The career profiles are Caps of how far you can grow beyond your base stats; not a flat amount you can add with each career you gain.

Does that make sense? For example, right now, Bertelis has been a Noble, a Knight errant, a Cadet, a Dilettante, and an Entertainer. Because those are all starting careers with small profile limits +10 in most cases, +15% in some - he has most of his stats with a bonus of about +10.

But not much more than that. He's an all rounder, not focused very strongly like Gimgroth was in combat.

Noble as +10% Fellowship; Knight Errant +5%; Cadet +10%; Dilettante +5%; and Entertainer +10%.

But Bertelis only has two advances in Fellowship, +5 and +10%, and he has had them since he was first rolled up as a Noble. If I could have +40% to Fellowship from all that combined, it'd be a different story! But that ain't how it works. When I get to Sergeant, I'll finally be able to go up to +20% for the first time ever!

So we might need to rejigger your advances a little. You're also obligated to take ALL the stat advances in a profile, all the skills and talents too. In Solo games like this, I don't charge you to switch careers unless you fail to complete it - so you might be in for an XP rebate, at the very least from that 100XP you paid to switch to Outlaw.
    lets do that

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Alright. Well, we first repair those stats. You gotta lose 5 off the WS, 5 off strength, and gain back the 100 you spent in career change. So you have 300Xp in the tank. And you still have two BS advances and one Agi advance to take in Mercenary to fill it out and change career for free; or else spend 100xp to shift without completing. Usually, especially with a solo char like this, it’s worth filling out careers!

There’s also more skills and talents untaken in Mercenary to complete it: Secret Language (Battle Tongue), and either Sharpshooter or Strike to Stun. You can change out of the career without completing it (for 100xp) rather than waiting to fill it out. I guess I’m a sucker for alrounders though so I always fill mine.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-04-05 at 08:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

lets just bump the stats

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

ok, several questions

are we all on full wounds, and does jorunn know anything about giants

CK norsca to see if i know anything

(1d100)[76]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Jorunn knows of giants what is widely known; they are massive, often cantankerous destroyers who wander the world in a malaise seeking to gorge themselves on food and drink. Sometimes canny generals are able to recruit them to go to war with the promise of such things. This has resulted in more than one general who thought himself canny being whacked with a small tree and sent flying to a crumbly death.

When you say let’s bump the stats, do you mean that first adjustment I mentioned? -5ws -5 st +5 Agi +10 bs? That would even you out, XP wise. Then there’s stuff still to buy to finish mercenary or you can spend your next 100 xp when you earn it to “hard shift” out of Merc into outlaw.

It’s useful to keep a running list of yoUr XP purchase because in WFRP this kind of forensic accounting is not uncommon, lol

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Jorunn knows of giants what is widely known; they are massive, often cantankerous destroyers who wander the world in a malaise seeking to gorge themselves on food and drink. Sometimes canny generals are able to recruit them to go to war with the promise of such things. This has resulted in more than one general who thought himself canny being whacked with a small tree and sent flying to a crumbly death.

When you say let’s bump the stats, do you mean that first adjustment I mentioned? -5ws -5 st +5 Agi +10 bs? That would even you out, XP wise. Then there’s stuff still to buy to finish mercenary or you can spend your next 100 xp when you earn it to “hard shift” out of Merc into outlaw.

It’s useful to keep a running list of yoUr XP purchase because in WFRP this kind of forensic accounting is not uncommon, lol
    correctamundo

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

your up again!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

fp the 85

(1d100)[86]

my dice do not like me
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-04-10 at 07:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

rolling parry and dodge

parry
    (1d100)[23]

dodge

(1d100)[22]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

is it too late to pass him a lucky charm for the negation of the hit, or can i burn that for him?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

fury of the dark gods

(1d100)[14]

(3d10)[10][7][7](24)

may i say giant souffle?
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-04-10 at 08:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

'Fraid he's on his own in this one. He's heavilly wounded, but atleast he made a good hit on the giant - 11 wounds worth, teeing him up for your attack.

Technically the giant has Lightning parry and can start chasing these attacks with surrendering his own for parries, but in a situation like this he is better served hoping to smoosh a few and scare the rest.

EDIT: Wowee, that's a great hit - probably a killer! Strictly, your initiative is after the Giant; so he gets one more slappy round before you put the axe in. Let's see how he does.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-04-10 at 08:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

'Fraid he's on his own in this one. He's heavilly wounded, but atleast he made a good hit on the giant - 11 wounds worth, teeing him up for your attack.

Technically the giant has Lightning parry and can start chasing these attacks with surrendering his own for parries, but in a situation like this he is better served hoping to smoosh a few and scare the rest.

EDIT: Wowee, that's a great hit - probably a killer! Strictly, your initiative is after the Giant; so he gets one more slappy round before you put the axe in. Let's see how he does.
    oki. lets just say i the player dont want to lose him.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, he's a brave middle-aged priest of Ulric fighting in the frozen north for the chance to go home to his family. What's not to like? But it looks like he survived!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

ok, so my only options are scale sheer surface right now? there is no long sharp metal bit that can reach that high?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

also, can i have a better description of how they are hung? what are the sacks attached to?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The polevault idea is creative, I like it. If you want to commit to it, I'll take an Agility roll at -20. It's a difficult task, but you can repeat it (1d10)[8] times before the wooden beam you're using cracks.

They're hanging on wall sconces; the hammered-in settings for lanterns the ancient dwarves used, probably tending them with tools on long poles that are all since long gone. There's about two feet of drawstring above each of their heads to the sconce they each hang off; but it is indeed a drawstring, and so while the tension has the 'noose' of the bag settled around their necks, if you managed to grab their bagged legs and pulled hoping to break the bag, you might just strangle them.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

The polevault idea is creative, I like it. If you want to commit to it, I'll take an Agility roll at -20. It's a difficult task, but you can repeat it [roll0] times before the wooden beam you're using cracks.

They're hanging on wall sconces; the hammered-in settings for lanterns the ancient dwarves used, probably tending them with tools on long poles that are all since long gone. There's about two feet of drawstring above each of their heads to the sconce they each hang off; but it is indeed a drawstring, and so while the tension has the 'noose' of the bag settled around their necks, if you managed to grab their bagged legs and pulled hoping to break the bag, you might just strangle them.
    ok thank you! stupid giants

grumble grumble

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

could i alternatively lean the pole against the sconces and see if i can scale it that way, or worse comes to worse, just dislodge the sconce?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Yep yep. Obviously, dislodging sconces, tying a knife to the pole and cutting the rope, shooting the rope apart with arrows over time, all these will result in dropping the dwarf in question. Which is probably not lethal, but certainly injurious and painful for the dwarves, if you are trying to curry their stunty favor.

I'll let you try using the pole as a brace to climb and male a Scale Sheer Surface roll at flat, with the same number of 'tries' before it breaks.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-04-14 at 01:56 AM.