New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    That reminds me of a fun one

*May not use wind wall and an explosive potion to form an impromptu breaching charge
    **May definitely not them proceed to sweep rooms with fireball while we advance room-by-room
    ***The paladin should most definitely not be advocating to kill them all and let the gods sort them out.
    I think you've got that bacwards. You are REQUESTED AND REQUIRED to breach and sweep using explosives and fireballs. It's a moral imperative! At least for me; I was running a kender cleric of Sirrion
    (Dragonlance god of fire) in I9 Day of Al-Akbar. I got ahold of the delayed blast fireball, figured them out, matched them up with my hoopak, and we steamrolled the opposition.

*As the DM, not allowed to weaponize the party's catchphrase of "We were minding our own business!" as an excuse to attack them, when there were, in fact, minding their own business.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 14: The DM is not my therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *When the GM proposes an ExvsWoD game about a group of Exalts on a road trip around the country investigating hauntings and monster sitings, the players are not to conspire to each make a different member of Mystery Inc and see how long it takes the GM to notice.
    **No matter how much I want to say "Rooby-Roo!" in the voice I affect for my wolf-totem's War Form when they realize.
    ***While Fred could plausibly be represented by a Zenith Caste, Velma by a Twilight, and Daphne by a Chosen of Serenity, Shaggy is not a Dawn Cast.
    ****No number of clips from Phantosaur will convince the GM otherwise.
    ***** No, I can't take Ultra-Instinct Shaggy, either. Because then you'd have two Chosen of Serenity, unless I'm color-blind (...which I am, a little) and the blue aura is actually violet.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    ***The paladin should most definitely not be advocating to kill them all and let the gods sort them out.
    Why not? You said that like it was a bad thing.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Why not? You said that like it was a bad thing.
    Might be problematic if they were playing an Oath of Redemption pally... or if they were doing it in such numbers as to significantly increase the gods' workload... (wouldn't surprise me, on this board)

* Triple-teaming the BBEG in combat is sound tactics, and allowed, maybe even encouraged.

** Triple-teaming physics in such a way that the BBEG ends up as collateral damage, however, will make the DM sad.

* Not allowed to point out to the DM that he has specifically asked me to build a Gnomish artificer, despite knowing darn well what my sense of humour tends to be like. Particularly a Gnomish artificer from a country whose national character is loosely based on my own RL personality.

** Not allowed to attempt to introduce Emwelchus, Gnomish god of Heavy Artillery, into the campaign world
    (although I'm going to try anyways... or maybe just Emwelchus, Gnomish god of Explosions)

*** There is no Gnomish religious order called 'The Little Sisters of Perpetual Combustion', and it is wrong of me to try and create it.

**** I'll probably get away with horrifically abusing wands of low-level spells crafted into 'experimental Gnomish warheads' for a while, but I'm probably not allowed to see just how stupid I can get with it. I suspect the 8 single-shot wands of Fireball slaved to the same command word, bundled with a magic mouth on the bolt itself to speak the command word on impact, in order to make an AIM-9 Sidewinder Ballista Bolt will be the limit, but we'll see (don't really know if that's 100% RAW legal, but I'm pretty sure my DM will let me get away with it, at least once)

***** The Gnomish equivalent of Halloween isn't a psychotic illusion-fest that is so traumatizing to non-Gnomes that anyone caught in the country that day has to hide in a lead-lined bunker with permanent trueseeing cast over it. Or maybe it is
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

*When the GM proposes an ExvsWoD game about a group of Exalts on a road trip around the country investigating hauntings and monster sitings, the players are not to conspire to each make a different member of Mystery Inc and see how long it takes the GM to notice.
    **No matter how much I want to say "Rooby-Roo!" in the voice I affect for my wolf-totem's War Form when they realize.
    ***While Fred could plausibly be represented by a Zenith Caste, Velma by a Twilight, and Daphne by a Chosen of Serenity, Shaggy is not a Dawn Cast.
    ****No number of clips from Phantosaur will convince the GM otherwise.
    I am fairly certain shaggy is best represented by a chosen of air who enjoys consuming everything he comes across. Think Ten Winds with more "run away".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

That reminds me...

*I may not foil the party's plans with a group of meddling kids.
    **Even if that includes a talking dog.
    ***Especially if that includes a much smaller talking dog.

However, we can foil the DMs plans with a coordinated group of meddling PCs (and have).
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

7. - Top - End - #217
    Colossus in the Playground

My Makavian's derangement cannot be Jerusalem syndrome.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #218

*May not speculate about how familial curses that last for n generations interact with inbred royal lines
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    That reminds me...

However, we can foil the DMs plans with a coordinated group of meddling PCs (and have).
    * May not foil the party’s plans by having them encounter some annoying baby goats, then tell them they would have gotten away with it but for those pesky kids.

10. - Top - End - #220

Kobold

* Vestals were not the real life version of the Sisters of Perpetual Combustion.

* My gnomish artificer should not act like Lina Inverse.

** Neither my gnomish artificer or any homunculus may act like Pokota.

* If my kobold artificer builds an airship for the party, it must be sized for medium creatures. Not tiny.

** Yes, even if all the players are kobolds.

* Cannot create the manga version of The Necronomicon.

** Or the colouring book.

*** None of Junji Ito's books are any of the above already.

* Speaking of Junji Ito, I will never drink oil in front of other people at the table regardless if we're playing a game or not.

* No puzzle should require reinstalling Windows 98 to solve.

** Make that any OS.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

My Makavian's derangement cannot be Jerusalem syndrome.
    ** Or the belief that they're a character in a game.
    *** Particularly a game we're not actually playing.

* My concept for a Nosferatu cannot be 'Fred Jones, except exactly the same'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #222

"Friendship=Magic" does not appear anywhere in the Life Equation.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

"Friendship=Magic" does not appear anywhere in the Life Equation.
    Isn't that one supposed to be the meaning of life and refuting nihilism and all that? Why shouldn't it have that part then?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #224

* If I'm actually kind of hoping for a fight, I probably shouldn't insist that we try diplomacy first on the only (potential) combat encounter of the night.

** Even if in one of the few sessions I missed, the party nearly destroyed the world by accident by assuming that a character was evil (and promptly killing them) because the monster manual said so, despite this being a homebrew world. And the character not being evil. Or aggressive.

*** Should probably stop bringing up the time the party murdered the good-aligned, friendly lich for no reason. Especially since it was years ago.

**** And should probably stop being annoyed about missing a fight, given that we now have right of passage, a friendly (or at least non-hostile) guide, and warning of a local empire that uses huge swarms of undead as troops.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

15. - Top - End - #225

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * If I'm actually kind of hoping for a fight, I probably shouldn't insist that we try diplomacy first on the only (potential) combat encounter of the night.
    One of my players did this.

It lead to one of the most epic role-playing scenes in my campaign, led to the "We have pamphlets!" inside joke, and still has ongoing ramifications that will shake the campaign world to its core.
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

16. - Top - End - #226

*May not refer to laudanum as "steampunk fentanyl"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #227

*I'm not allowed to translate Drgonforce songs into fantasy languages for my Bard songs.
    **Especially not The Last Dragonborn into Dovahzhul in an Elderscrolls-themed game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #228

*I'm not allowed to translate Drgonforce songs into fantasy languages for my Bard songs.
    **Especially not The Last Dragonborn into Dovahzhul in an Elderscrolls-themed game.
    ... why on Earth not, unless your singing voice is even worse than mine?

* Playing Valhalla Calling (whatever version) is going to make people nervous, even if it is thematic.
    ** Yes, it's an awesome song, but people go to Valhalla when they're dead. Are you deliberately trying to invoke a TPK?
    *** Fine, but even in the afterlife, trying to out-drink Thor is going to cause a CON check.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

19. - Top - End - #229

*Walter White was not one of the suspects in Clue

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

* May not set fire to the insane asylum in Charhollow
    ** May not get into a gunfight against unknown enemies with an ally who had just joined the group and had (1) zero investment in the plan and (2) who'd been arguing with his wife (IC and OC) for about 30 minutes before we staged the raid.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-04-13 at 06:41 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #231

Devil

* No longer allowed to employ the "if I roleplay in a really entertaining and comedic way so that all the other players are laughing, they will want my character to stick around and thus not report my treason to Friend Computer" strategy. It's just too damned O.P.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

I thought that was half the point of playing Paranoia when you're not getting instantly murderlized by Friend Computer.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I'm not allowed to make a character who kills enemies with copies of Robert's Rules of Order. Whether by hitting them with books or annoying then to death by quoting out of context, irrelevant passages.

In fact, I'm not allowed to reference RRO anymore.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

24. - Top - End - #234

*May not advocate for implementing Friend Computer's policies in real life
    **Not every political problem can be solved with tranquilizer pills
    ***Or at least that's what people keep telling me
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2023-04-22 at 11:53 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

* I may not challenge the enemy leader to a porridge eating contest.
    ** Even if I can cite precedent.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * I may not challenge the enemy leader to a porridge eating contest.
    ** Even if I can cite precedent.
    *** Porridge wrestling is right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #237

*"Homer Simpson did it" is not a good justification for doing anything, let alone in a Cthulhu Mythos game.
    **Especially not challenging Cthulhu himself to an eating contest.
    ***I cannot eat Cthulhu

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

*"Homer Simpson did it" is not a good justification for doing anything, let alone in a Cthulhu Mythos game.
    Objection! He's clearly some kind of eldritch abomination!

Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    That reminds me...

I will not arbitrarily fireball the party with the smaller talking dog.

The PLAYER who introduced the monstrosity, OTOH.....
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I will not arbitrarily fireball the party with the smaller talking dog.

The PLAYER who introduced the monstrosity, OTOH.....
    I think "I may not attack the other players with fireballs" is a good general rule.

DrewID