New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Shattered Star: The Asylum Stone [IC]

"Gav? Can you show us this Therassic Library?", Iluvar asks once they are out of earshot of the Duskwarden.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

"Well, I would, guv, but like I hinted at before, there's a problem with the Therassic Spire. The Therassic Spire is currently locked tight, and nobody knows why—the doors closed several days ago, and the resident librarians have refused to open up for anyone. That wouldn't be an issue, except my first choice - the Augurs - well, they've gone on strike because of a conflict with the powerful Ardoc family here in Bis, and as of yet they've been unable to find someone to resolve the issue. It would have to be someone from outside the city, with no previous ties and affiliations—someone like .... you, in fact!"

Before the PCs can object, Gav darts into the crowd, leading them ever onward.

Do you not follow for some reason?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #93

MonkGuy

Iluvar follows Gav but motions the Scribe. "The first sign of trouble we leave. If we get separated meet back at the Duskwarden headquarters",Iluvar advises.

4. - Top - End - #94

"Can't you read his soul to determine his honor, stain of sin, morality, insanity, etc.?" The Scribe says bemusedly, poking fun.

Gav leads you east to a great inner wall that marks the inward end of Bis before heading north as Bis gives way to the Warrens. He leads you on a circuitous path of the southern Warrens until you are in the Gap heading southeast now. While traversing the Warrens and the Gap, there are many eyes on the two noticeable strangers, but the two of you must project strength, as nobody wants to mess with you.

Now you are in Downmarket. Gav is sure to tell you about Downmarket, but much of it is relatively obvious.

The Warren may be the first district new visitors to Kaer Maga see, but the crowded stalls and wagons of Downmarket are invariably their destination. The primary commercial center for foreign trade, this is where caravans off load their goods and purchase new cargo, cutting deals both large and small. Though prices tend to be slightly higher here, as merchants catering primarily to foreigners trust the dizzying crowds of the market to discourage newcomers from doing a lot of comparison shopping, even native Kaer Magans are forced to shop in Downmarket on a regular basis, as the selection is simply too good to ignore. The belief that anything can be bought or sold in Kaer Maga stems in large part from the merchants of Downmarket, and no good or service is off limits here, no matter how taboo.

Unlike most of the other districts in Kaer Maga, Downmarket contains very few permanent structures, instead consisting of a constant shuffle of carts, tents, wagons, and awnings. This is primarily to accommodate the steady stream of traders who, rather than simply selling their goods to local merchants, are equally likely to set up small shops of their own for as long as their stock holds out, reaping greater profits by selling directly to consumers. Most business is conducted during the day, when the swirling crowds of shoppers and hawkers are shot through with pickpockets, palanquins, solemn Augurs, and gawking foreigners, but the carts that don’t pack up at sundown often do business long into the night, catering to those souls drawn by shows at the amphitheater or restless merchant guards eager for entertainment.

Do you try to stop Gav to shop for something at this time?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

MonkGuy

Iluvar does not stop Gav to shopm

6. - Top - End - #96

Gav leads you through the surging crowds over a large walking bridge where the collected water is in the center of the city, by a place called the Lakeside Ampitheatre at the northeastern part of the district. Shortly thereafter you transition from Downmarket to Hospice.

The writhing, glistening center of Kaer Maga’s commercial zone, the district known as Hospice advertises itself to anyone who’ll listen as the district with something for everyone. And in fact, that statement isn’t far from the truth—for between the wealth brought in by traveling traders and the city’s notorious lack of scruples and boundaries, Kaer Maga’s Hospice is the most lavish and degraded red-light district in Varisia—and perhaps in all of Avistan.

Being one of the two Core districts catering to visitors, Hospice is more than just a conglomeration of cathouses and cabarets. With the highest concentration of inns, stables, and hostels in the city, Hospice is responsible for housing, feeding, and entertaining all those itinerants and traveling merchants who conduct their business in Downmarket during the day, or who are too new to the city to have made friends and contacts in other districts. Its nightlife is second only to Oriat, and lacks the manic edge of youth and danger that the artists’ sector invites. Instead, Hospice has an old, firmly seated decadence with the weight of history and the smoothness of a well-oiled machine. Far from catering solely to tourists, the numerous restaurants, gaming halls, back-alley theaters, and wine shops are a powerful draw for locals and newcomers alike, and prime real estate in Hospice is worth enough that many of the finer establishments have been there for centuries, their ownership changing hands but their marquees remaining untouched.

Yet no matter how hard other businesses in the district might try to distinguish themselves—the hostlers and off beat temples, the farriers and caravan outf itters—there’s still no question among any who visit as to Hospice’s primary trade. Lascivious catamites and lithe streetwalkers catcall from every window and alley, making passersby flush pink and red with their illicit suggestions and strategically bared flesh. In Hospice, it’s said, you can find anything you want, but you’d better be sure you want it—for few cities can offer the same extreme selection in their pleasure houses, and several of the darker establishments here have been known to turn seasoned warriors and slavers into mewling babes and send them running for the nearest priest or confessor.

Finally, as you get close to your destination - The Sorry Excuse - Gav will tell you a little more about this next stop. This inn does brisk business with first-time visitors of the city, but only because its owner, Harmon Fisk offers the best kickbacks in the city to guides who recommend it. In fact, the Sorry Excuse lives up to its name in almost every way, as Harmon long ago realized that kickbacks are cheaper than amenities and repeat business is rarely worth the effort. A rat hole with seemingly reasonable base rates, its prices quickly mount with extra fees for things like windows, candles, mattresses, and bathing basins, but the inn’s corpulent bouncer Gurd keeps most travelers from quibbling over the bill. Because Harmon’s tricks are designed solely to bilk unwary foreigners, locals have little problem with his blatant crookedness, and in fact the Sorry Excuse wins considerable goodwill by using a fraction of its take to subsidize ale for loyal patrons, attracting a rowdy crew of drunkards every night of the week.

"I know it don't look like much, guvs, but sounds like you got business to do that it'd be better to do if a lot of people in finer places aren't taking notice of you. You'll still pay the same, and the meals and drink aren't great ... but you'll be surprised at the security of anonymity."

Does Iluvar want to ignore the guide and recommend going to someplace more amenable to party funds?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

MonkGuy

Iluvar has had a mostly sheltered life but has seen his share of bad accomodations. The recent dungeon 8nclided. "This will do Gav. Scribe when do you want Gav to come back and show us the Augurs location?", Iluvar defers to the Scribe.

8. - Top - End - #98

"Oh, guv, you hired me for the day as a guide," reminds Gav. "Unless you release me for the evening, you don't want me back and forth. I can wait out front until you say it's time for me to turn in, but if you wait too long until the dark of night, I'm assuming our day is done. And if you need me about for tomorrow, I can do that as early as you want. Did you want to go to the Augurs today or tomorrow?"

"Today," says The Scribe emphatically, before he softens and turning to Iluvar asks, "Unless the stress of the day requires rest first?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

MonkGuy

"We can begin our search today", Iluvar says to the Scribe.

10. - Top - End - #100

Iluvar and The Scribe go in to procure rooms, and he pays for separate, but adjoining, accommodations.

Iluvar, do you want to take a break, a (short) rest, or anything else while in your room, or head right back out?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

MonkGuy

"I am ready to go as soon as you are. Maybe a little street fare for a meal", says Iluvar smelling the days old pot of food on the fire.

12. - Top - End - #102

The Scribe's nose wrinkles even as his own borborygmy makes itself known. "Yes, let's get some street fare back in Downmarket."

But Gav is hanging out in the common room of the Sorry Excuse and hails you when he sees you come back downstairs. Gav had quickly located an Augur sitting alone at a wooden table filled with troll-sized mugs of ale. He respectuflly greets the oracle, and indicates that The Scribe and Iluvar should do the same, which The Scribe does.

Iluvar?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

MonkGuy

Iluvar greets the troll, "Hello, I understand you are an Augur. Thanks for speaking with us. Gav here said you needed help resolving a dispute with the Ardoc family. Can you tell us the issues here? Hopefully we can help you and then maybe there is something you can do for us."

14. - Top - End - #104

The troll waves her hand dismissively at all of Iluvar's questions and lack of decor in not having followed as Gav and The Scribe did. She takes the group in with a glance, a longer glance where Iluvar is concerned, and motions for Iluvar and The Scribe to sit.

Iluvar, do you sit?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

MonkGuy

Iluvar sits.

16. - Top - End - #106

Once the two of you are seated, the troll introduces herself as Vargun. To PCs who have interacted with trolls before, this one appears incongruously civilized, with careful mannerisms, a thoughtful look, and a long purple toga with a horizontal slit in the stomach covered in old bloodstains.

She asks in Taldane, "Tell me a little bit about yourselves and what you seek."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

MonkGuy

"We are newly come to the city. We lost several of our companions beneath the city by an attack of mind affecting creatures", explains Iluvar.
    "We came to the city in search of something that was once a piece of a whole. It is old and probably lost or hidden but it is here."

18. - Top - End - #108

"I'm with him," says The Scribe. "I was 'their' chronicler for their deeds, but now I guess I am just 'his' chronicler."

Vargun looks sly at the ranseur he had set across the wall when he sat. "You must write in a very big book. I took you for a painter."

"I don't like to be fixed to a single medium."

"And yet," she smiles broader. "A medium is what you sought, isn't it."

"Seer? Yes. Medium, no. I'm not much for ghosts."

She nods slowly. “I presume the boy has already explained the nature of our organization. While it’s something of an open secret that many of our divinations are, shall we say, more logical than magical, this is not always the case. There are those among us who still retain the old gifts.

“My brother Augustille is gifted. His visions are unique and frequently unmarketable, which is why he rarely leaves the temple. Yet someone wants to harness that ability.

“The Ardoc brothers are artificers and golem crafters—the most powerful family in Bis. They run everything in that district, and we have long-standing relationships between our factions that must be maintained. Yet one of their younger members—an arrogant little tinkerer named Berkanin—has gone off on his own and arranged the kidnapping of Augustille from the very foot of the temple steps, and holds him hostage even as we speak, ‘studying’ my brother like one of his machines.

“The Ardocs have ignored our requests to rein in their rogue brother. We cannot engage them within their own territory, nor can any of our usual agents. But you are different. Bring back my brother, and we will bring you the information you seek.”
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

MonkGuy

"Is your brother's or the rogue Ardoc's location known to you? What is the description of your brother and this Ardoc? Have they had dealings with each other before?", Iluvar asks a series of questions.
    Code:
    He is disxerning lies now.

20. - Top - End - #110

The Scribe, knowing Iluvar's perspicacity, look at Iluvar for counsel.
    Spoiler: Iluvar
    Show
    You do not sense lies.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-02-08 at 02:14 AM. Reason: It's "counsel," not "council."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

MonkGuy

"We will look into your brother's kidnapping. In return we ask for you help in search of what we seek. Hopefully, it benefits us both", Iluvar decides.

22. - Top - End - #112

"Berkanin should be, when home, at the Hanging Manse in Bis," Vargun says. "Though I don't know where that is as I stay out of Bis."

"It's alright, Guv," reassures Gav, "I know wher the Hanging Manse is, and I can recognize him."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

MonkGuy

"Scribe, even though we are healthy we are lacking some resources and abilities if we run into trouble. Also our minds might need a rest. Do you think it wise to start looking into this tomorrow?", Iluvar asks.

24. - Top - End - #114

The Scribe nods and remarks, "We're also severely short on manpower. Well, we're here at the Sorry Excuse."

He looks (up) at Vargun, "Thanks, we lost a lot of people today, and it's been traumatic, but we'll start tomorrow. Thanks."

And with that, the two of you let Vargun finish her meal in peace.

As he gets a table for the two of you to sit down as Gav flits about he says, "Did I hear ya' say you're looking for more hands for this job? It just so happens two cutters strolled into the City but yesterday. Siblings. Big Folk. Rumor has it they came to the Gap even bigger than we see 'em now, standing a couple mes high, but I think people just have too much time on their hands. They're big though. They actually make me think of you, guv."

That last comment seemed pointed at Iluvar.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-02-11 at 08:07 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

MonkGuy

"Of me, Gav? How so?", Iluvar asks.

26. - Top - End - #116

He shrugs. "I dunno, a feeling. Like some flourishes on clothing decoration, and the like."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

MonkGuy

"Where are these two staying, and would they be amenable to being approached?", Iluvar asks Guv.

28. - Top - End - #118

"I know they were staying here, actually," says Gav, gesturing to the "larger than human" options such as the table where you met Vargun. "I told you .... 'Big Folk.' Some kind of giant. But they were doing some job for the Lamplighter's Guild. Some elf in the guild ... calls herself 'Myki' ... she hired them a couple days ago so they been hanging around here less. Might be you could underbid the Lamplighter, because they were a couple of right bruisers."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

MonkGuy

"Well we won't have to look too hard. I am willing to start in the morning Scribe, unless you are wanting to stay up and for them to return?", Iluvar looks to the Scribe for his opinion.

30. - Top - End - #120

"No, I need to go to write my report, and then after today's loss, hiding in sleep will be most welcome. I don't feel much like eating," The Scribe answers. "Gav, come back tomorrow before they serve breakfast, and we'll cover your breakfast."

Gav needs no further spur with that, and heads out.

Iluvar, do you do anything before you go to take an early evening meal and head to bed?
    Show