New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1446
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

"Yeah, it's like the aristocracy back in Waterdeep, only with better musical theater," Rose comments. "Well, as long as we all stick together in groups we should be okay."

Rose waggles a finger. "Ah, unrelated, but maybe important; I've come to find out that these goblyns always go for bite attacks against the townsfolk, even if armed with weapons. So if we end up combating them, watch for their teeth."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    Female Lawful Good Half-Orc Monk/Paladin/Champion of Irori, Level 3/2/0, Init 5, HP 52/52, Speed 40 ft
    AC 23, Touch 18, Flat-footed 15, CMD 25, Fort 16, Ref 13, Will 14, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Sansetsukon +7 (1d10+4, 19-20/x2)
    Double-Chained Kama +7 (1d6+3/1d6+3 or 1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Siangham +7 (1d6+3, 20/x2)
    Bracers of Armor (+2) or Mage Armor, Amulet of Natural Armor +2 (+2 Armor, +2 DEX, +6 CHA +3 Natural AC)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 23
    Condition Lay on Hands 1/7 used today
    "I'm done with these lying wolves. We're not sheep, nor boars or owls - if anything we're sheep-dogs, at least by their storytelling analogies. But when you cannot tell the wolves for the sheep's-clothing its not worth it to go tilting at windmills," says Cheyanne with a disgusted tone of voice. "We have been asked to help someone in genuine distress and secured an agreement from her that our efforts will be 'appreciated.' I'm not such an idealist that I think we can keep wandering around the mists without making some coin. Let's go..."

Additional edit: As she begins to walk towards the northern gate/bridge Cheyanne stops. "Password - to leave by the north we need cash or the password. Let's go back and ask one of the vendors if they can help us," she says to the others as she looks to them for a response.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Cheyanne would go back to the store nearest their current location first to ask about a password to leave by way of the northern gate/bridge.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grey - HP: 43\43 - Conditions: Dazzled - Active Effects: None

---------------

"Ugh, even leaving this town is annoying." Grey says at the news they have to pay to cross the bridge "Almost tempted to pay and just leave Harmonia behind. I could appreciate a good swindle as much as the next fellow, but these people..." he shakes of his head, quite vexed after the hardly relaxing time he has spent at the club "Guess it was too much to ask for a day off?" Grey then ends his tirade with a resigned sigh and follows Cheyanne towards either the jail or the bookstore, whichever is closer.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Stopping by the "ewe-sed" bookstore. You meet your friendly store owner Liam. After a quick inquiry you find out that there is a pledge. That if you don't know the Town Pledge, then you have to pay 10 Golden coins a person to use the bridge. But if you recite the pledge you may pass freely. He stands and recites the pledge for you.

"Oh Harmony, oh Harmony,
    a city grand and truly free.
    Oh Harmony, oh Harmony,
    'tis thee I always long to see.
    To Harmony, to Harmony,
    I pledge eternal loyalty."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #1385

---------------

Grey listents intently, but he does not seem that enthuised of having discovered the password for the damned northern bridge; he sighs, groans and then shruga "Thanks, my friend." Grey nods at Liam, a bit of gratitude "But your town has been...less than forthcoming. So I'll just pay, in the off-chance this 'pledge' is more insidious than at first glance."

6. - Top - End - #1386

"We have to pay to leave?" Rose growls. She makes a face that seems to indicate this town is lucky that the wizard doesn't know the fireball spell yet.

Yet.

"I'm with Grey," Rose speaks up. "Words can hold power and ten coins and the middle finger is more than enough."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

- I dunno... - Helen wasn't sure - It seems just like a rhyming song to me, kinda silly, actually. There is nothing else behind it, isn't it?
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

8. - Top - End - #1388

---------------

"It might be just a song." Grey concedes to Helen "But we almost got killed because of a few words written on a piece of paper. Might be me starting to become a little paranoid, but ten gold are not that much for a little peace of mind."

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says ”I doubt it’s magically binding, but it might be legally binding. As in, we could be pressed into service again. I’d rather not deal with that.”

10. - Top - End - #1390

"Saaame," Rose comments. "I guess we each can choose our method on exiting, so long as we all stick together on the road."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Liam raises his hands in defense.

"Now now, if you want to ford the river on your own, you could exit the west gate and find your own way across the river. While you are certainly right there is a power in words, I wouldn't say our town is nefarious."

The group is able to make their way to the northern gate which is set against a river. An unusual construction is set in the middle of the Minstrel River. At first glance, it appears to be nothing more than a solid square tower of moss- covered stone set atop a somewhat larger rock base. The top of the tower is decorated with ornate carvings of gargoyles and monsters, many of them so lifelike that it seems they have but to wait for the sunset to spring to life and terrorize the countryside.

A closer look, however, shows that there is a tunnel running through the center of the tower that would easily accommodate the largest of wagons. Further, a pair of worn, but sturdy, wooden bridges run from both sides of the river to the entrances to this tunnel. At several points along their lengths, ring pins have been set into the bridges. Well oiled chains stretch from these points to vanish into the mouths of the gargoyles atop of the tower.

As you watch, a number of persons walk across the bridge, enter the tunnel, and exit from the far side of the tower to complete their passage over the river. They seem to be delayed for some time, perhaps a minute, within the dark tunnel before they exit, but there is no sign of what happens within. A secondary tunnel runs through the rock base, but it's purpose cannot be readily guessed as only about 2' of it's height is above the water line.

As you watch, a familiar face steps forward. Captain Shepard smiles seeing you and extends a hand in greeting.

"Welcome to the Whirling Bridge, is your group looking to cross?"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

12. - Top - End - #1392

"Yes, sir, we have enjoyed the hospitality of this little town, and we're ready to take to the road again."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Captain Shepard nods and counts the 6 of you audibly.

"One.... Two.... Three.... Four Five.... and Six. Is there anything your group has to say or add before you would like to pay to cross the Whirling bridge?"
    Festival of Heroes:

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

Helen just smiled to the captain. She had nothing to add. In fact, she seemed both a little bit anxious about leaving the town - it seemed nice enough - and very happy for leaving potential werewolves behind her. As such, she wanted to not speak a word, having conflict feelings inside of her.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

15. - Top - End - #1395

---------------

Grey has many words he would like to share with Captain Shepard, but none of those would be appropriate for polite company; he just smiles, hands over the ten golds he owes to cross the bridge and waits to be finally done with Harmonia.

16. - Top - End - #1396

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    Female Lawful Good Half-Orc Monk/Paladin/Champion of Irori, Level 3/2/0, Init 5, HP 52/52, Speed 40 ft
    AC 23, Touch 18, Flat-footed 15, CMD 25, Fort 16, Ref 13, Will 14, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Bracers of Armor (+2) or Mage Armor, Amulet of Natural Armor +2 (+2 Armor, +2 DEX, +6 CHA +3 Natural AC)
    "Thank you - here's the toll," answers Cheyanne, a bit coolly but with a polite smile as she hands the captain ten gold coins too.

17. - Top - End - #1397

Is there anything your group has to say or add before you would like to pay to cross the Whirling bridge?
    Rose digs into her purse for ten coins. "Well I might have to come back sometime to get the mutton recipe from the tavern. It's quite tender what they serve here." She hands over the coins as toll payment. Only now Rose just thinks of a good sheep pun, but alas, the moment is gone. Timing is everything.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted hands over his coins as well, curious about how the bridge works.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The captain takes the coins of 4 of the members of the group but look to Helen and Akla, expecting payment still.

"That will be 10 gold coins to cross then."

Once everyone has paid you are allowed to walk to the center of the bridge. As you walk the first half the bridge whirls, using the center island as a pivot and the portion of the bridge that was connected to the southern Bank of the river, has now swung to the northern Bank of the river. The captain gives you a salute.

"Safe travels my friends"
    Festival of Heroes:

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted asks the captain ”Very interesting, but what makes the bridge turn? Magic? And, why did those other people cross without it turning like that?”

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Captain smiles.

"No magic! its all physical properties of leverage! its the magic of the common man, engineering!"

The captain nodded when asked about the others crossing.

"The lower section can extend for smaller groups, but for full paying customers like your selves, you deserved the full show."
    Festival of Heroes:

22. - Top - End - #1402

---------------

Grey would probably appreciate the craftmanship of this bridge more if it wasn't day and groans when the Captain reminds them that they're paying to leave this town; still, he's a bit relieved they're finally taking steps to the next leg of their journey, even though Grey is well aware it will be full of death, suffering and grief.

"What dangers we might expect on our road to Skald?" Grey asks the Captain "And what dangers might expect us in Skald itself?"

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The captain turns to the group.

"Keep an eye out for Wolves and Goblyns, but bandits and other various dangers could still pop up. Keep yourselves vigilant, and I hope to see your group again."
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #1404

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    "At least they're friendly," Cheyanne says to her companions as they walk away. "I don't trust any of them, but a bit of politeness does go a long way towards making me reconsider my judgements..."

25. - Top - End - #1405

The bridge is indeed a marvel of engineering. Maybe a bit much, but let the town have it's toys.

Rose nods to Cheyanne. "Yeah, at least there was no fuss about us just paying instead of reciting their pledge."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

- Of course - Helen handed the captain the 10 golden pieces.

- The bridge is kind of interesting, I have to say. I would like to see the construction from inside sometimes.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As the group follows the path north you find that it doubles back and forth in a winding and almost confusing way, small sections of forest seem to be avoided by rounding paths and fences with warnings against the trees and other plants.

As you are travelling along the road between Harmonia and Skald, you suddenly notice a faint sound drifting through the air. Listening more closely, you decide that it is someone sobbing. The source of the sound is hidden by a bank of shrubs that runs along the side of the road at this point.
    Festival of Heroes:

28. - Top - End - #1408

---------------

Now on the road, Grey is mostly silent - wilderness is dangerous even in Faerűn and he has to admit to himself he know very little of these lands; he's alert, watching his back and surrounding in search of threats so that when he hears the sound of someone crying, instinct kicks in and he draws his dagger before fully understanding what is going on. He grunts, put his index finger on his lips to tell the others that being quiet might be the best course of action and than gestures he's going to take a look.

And so he does, Grey tries to be as quiet and stealthy as circumstances allow to check the source of the sobbing sound.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grey triest to move stealthily to see who's crying (1d20+19)[22] and if needed, here a Perception roll as well (1d20+7)[12]

29. - Top - End - #1409

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    "Stay here and stay quiet!" whispers Cheyanne to the louder non-scouts in the party as she follows Grey to see what is making the crying sound...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[27], Perception: (1d20+9)[16]

30. - Top - End - #1410

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    He put his index finger on his lips to tell the others that being quiet might be the best course of action and than gestures he's going to take a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne-Rob View Post
    "Stay here and stay quiet!"
    Rose stands there and does her impersonation of an asleep Roper. ...except not actually sleeping and not with... you know what, this sounded better in her head. In any case, Rose just stands where she is and waits for the scouts to go check out the sobbing. One hand rests on the hilt of her sword, just in case this turns ugly.
    Digo Dragon - Artist