New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Cataclysm (AD&D Ravenloft -> PF1 Conversion) INC Thread

Knowing that stealth is not his strong suit, Ted waits for the sneakers to report.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A middle-aged woman is kneeling on the ground in a recently cleared area surrounded on three sides by bushes. She is squeezing freshly disturbed black soil from what appears to be a grave in her hands and smearing it upon her once blue and white apron. The scent of wet earth is sweet in the air. She is crying to herself and does not seem to notice the party as it approaches.
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2024-04-06 at 08:29 AM.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    Female Lawful Good Half-Orc Monk/Paladin/Champion of Irori, Level 3/2/0, Init 5, HP 52/52, Speed 40 ft
    AC 23, Touch 18, Flat-footed 15, CMD 25, Fort 16, Ref 13, Will 14, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Sansetsukon +7 (1d10+4, 19-20/x2)
    Double-Chained Kama +7 (1d6+3/1d6+3 or 1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Siangham +7 (1d6+3, 20/x2)
    Bracers of Armor (+2) or Mage Armor, Amulet of Natural Armor +2 (+2 Armor, +2 DEX, +6 CHA +3 Natural AC)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 23
    Condition Lay on Hands 1/7 used today
    Cheyanne looks at Grey and mouths, "Distraction?" as she looks around for an ambush or other threat.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    As a paladin Cheyanne will want to help, if possible, but she's not foolish or naive.

Perception: (1d20+9)[20]

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: cheyanne
    Show

You don't see anyone waiting to ambush you, but you take notice the woman appears to be crying over a fairly fresh grave perhaps.
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grey - HP: 43\43 - Conditions: Dazzled - Active Effects: None

---------------

Grey shrugs non-committaly when Cheyanne asks if the woman is a potential threat, then sighs and shrugs again "Hope we don't scare her." he whispers to the monk, then he waves and gestures to the others to tell them the area is probably safe. That done, he sheathes the dagger (not like he really needs it to hurt someone, after all) and steps outside the bushes, hands in clear sight so that the woman could see he's unarmed "Hey." he starts, accompanying his words with a reassuring smile "We were on the road and heard you." he says, trying to sound as non-threatening as he can - not that he cares that much if the woman runs away, but Grey knows all too well his friends are way too kind to not want to help and better to have the woman talk here than having to follow her deeper in the woods.

Spoiler
    Show
    If needed, here a Diplomacy roll (1d20+12)[19]
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

6. - Top - End - #1416

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    Female Lawful Good Half-Orc Monk/Paladin/Champion of Irori, Level 3/2/0, Init 5, HP 52/52, Speed 40 ft
    AC 23, Touch 18, Flat-footed 15, CMD 25, Fort 16, Ref 13, Will 14, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Bracers of Armor (+2) or Mage Armor, Amulet of Natural Armor +2 (+2 Armor, +2 DEX, +6 CHA +3 Natural AC)
    "Hello, there, ma'am. I'm Cheyanne. You look like you're mourning someone here - I'm sorry for your loss..." says Cheyanne with sympathy in her voice.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[11]

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

She looks up and is slightly startled, but with the soft words of Grey you are able to communicate with her.

"My name is Maria, I live not far from here with my husband Ontosh, and my 2 remaining children Frantosh, and Jelena. Joshua is buried in the hand dug grave beneath me. Two weeks ago, my husband was badly wounded. He had gone out after dark for he had forgotten to put out the lantern in our barn and was afraid the straw there might catch fire. When he was on his way back to the house, he heard a noise behind him and turned to see a large animal in the shadows near the barn. He ran to the house, staying just ahead of a great wolf as it charged after him. As he reached the house, he fell and broke his leg, but made it inside safely. Every night since then, we have been plagued by a dreaded fear at night, every sound we have hear seems evil and dark. The fear finally overcame Joshua, my son, and he went out into the night with an old blunderbuss to put an end to own terror. Although I called to him to stop, he did not listen."

She breaks down into tears, crying for a long fit, even with comfort from any of you. She lays across the grave sobbing. It takes several minutes before she is calmed.

"Several minutes later, we heard the distant boom of the gun. After a second of silence, we heard a dreadful howling and a horrible scream. The next morning, we went out to find the body.... torn.... apart, like by some terrible beast. Now Im worried for my other children! I am now the one to protect the family until my husband is healed... I am no warrior, I am no hunter. I am so worried I will lose everyone!"
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2024-04-06 at 09:13 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

- Easy Lady, easy - Helen wanted to help - I am a doctor and a priest, maybe I can do something about the broken leg? As for other matters, hm... - she looked from the woman to Gray - Maybe we could do something...? Erm, I do not wanna give you promises we could not fulfill, but... well, at least the leg could get healed...?

She still remembered the telling off after she offered her help without consulting with the others, so she was careful to not make the same error again.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

9. - Top - End - #1419

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    "While Helen sees if she can help your husband we can at least look around your home a bit, see if we can help or not," volunteers Cheyanne with a nod to the generous young woman. "We are travelers and don't know this land well, though. You said it was a wolf? Or a wolf-monster? What sorts of signs should we look to find?"

10. - Top - End - #1420

---------------

Grey forces himself not to groan at sob story the woman throws at them, so convenient that can't be anything else than bait for his more upstanding friends; yet the woman looks and feels sincere, her sorrow genuine and so Grey sighs and throws a look at Cheyanne and Helen "If you want to help her, I might lend you a hand." he says with a shrug before turning back to Maria "I know what it means to lose family." he starts, kneeling right beside her (and conveniently not sharing how he had lost this unknown family member) "I know it hurts to remember what happened. But if you could tell us more, that would be quite helpful..." now Grey makes a short pause, trying to find words to ask the kind of question a parent might never want to hear "...did it look like Joshua was killed because the beast was hungry?"

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The lady looks among you, hope sprung anew, as you offer her assistance. With the aid of a hand up, she rises from the grave of her child to face you.

"I would be most appreciative to have you come and see my husbands leg, we haven't a healer nearby to tend to injuries, but Ive done my best to aid it. "

Her eyes cast down to the ground, wide and filled with fear.

"It was a great wolf.... large beyond savage. It walked up on the earth as a wolf was, but its gait and speed were much greater for its size. Like a beast from a nightmare. Its tracks are all about the property. Ill take you there. "

She looks to grey as her lower lip quivers, threatening to weep once more she pulls her hands to face to thwart the pain she is going through.

"My boy.... was torn apart.... hardly more than a bite taken... he was savagely killed, and left on display for us to find him the next morning.... the beast must be a foul nightmare sent from the darkest of creation. "

She leads your group further down the road until you come across a farmstead. Their farm, seems to be a place straight out of fairy tales. It is set in a lovely grove of trees and is well tended. A small stream flows past their bam yard, and the grass grows tall and lush all around.
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted examines the tracks.

OOC: Survival (1d20+8)[23]

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Ted
    Show

You find multiple wolf tracks, but there is one much larger among the others.
    Festival of Heroes:

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says ”There are several wolves, but one is much larger. Perhaps I could track it.”

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    Their farm, seems to be a place straight out of fairy tales. It is set in a lovely grove of trees and is well tended. A small stream flows past their bam yard, and the grass grows tall and lush all around.
    Seems like a lot of work for such a small family to care for. "So, uh, ma'am, how many did you say you have tending these beautiful lands?"

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Ted says ”There are several wolves, but one is much larger. Perhaps I could track it.”
    "On the one hand, I'm not sure I want to walk into their lair to pick a fight," Rose considers out loud, "But on the other hand, the best defense is a good offense, right?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

She sniffles as sob as she answers rose.

"It was the five of us, but now its four. The work isn't as hard as you would think, regular maintenance and management does alot to keep our home beautiful."
    Festival of Heroes:

17. - Top - End - #1427

---------------

"Harmonia has left me itching for a fight, but I would wait for the night." Grey says to Rose and the others, now waving towards Maria "I would much rather go with Maria, check on her family, wait for darkness to come and with it this 'monster' - whatever it might be - we would have the advantage of potentially lay an ambush." he shares his thoughts with the others before pointing at the sun in the sky "And I would also finally be free of this thrice-cursed sun, I am half-blind in this light. Nightfall would be a boon."

18. - Top - End - #1428

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    "Can't say I like the dark as much as you, Grey, but an ambush sounds excellent. I'm in, of course," says Cheyanne after seeing the tracks. "Do we want to try and lay snares or something to help?"

19. - Top - End - #1429

She sniffles as sob as she answers rose.
    "It was the five of us, but now its four. The work isn't as hard as you would think, regular maintenance and management does a lot to keep our home beautiful."
    Rose gives her a gentle, comforting pat and maybe a shoulder to cry on? The right shoulder, it's cleaner.
    "There there, we will do everything we can to rid your family of this nightmare."

She nods to Cheyanne's idea of snares and traps. Rose suspects these creatures are intelligent, but they might also be arrogant, so that could play into an ambush.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rose, Grey, and Cheyanne get to work as they set foot traps beneath the windows of the home, while Ted sets themselves to digging a pit trap at a choke point. As Ted gets to work, something calls to him from within and he sets aside tools and begins to dig with his hands, the feel of the soil between his fingers feels right. Before anyone has taken notice, he has dug up a 10 ft pit with his bare hands.

With some effort, all the traps are hidden with guidence from Grey, so anyone could be caught unaware. You are fed a home-cooked meal of mutton and veggies. You are able to meet the husband who is bed ridden with a.busted leg, and the two young teens that live with the family.
    Festival of Heroes:

21. - Top - End - #1431

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    home-cooked meal of mutton and veggies.
    Rose lets Helen work her magic to help the husband. She wants to savor the mutton meal, as something homecooked just hits different than anything else. Rose shows thanks and praise to the chef, and as she eats, she turns to Ted,

"Good job on digging the pit, Ted," Rose commends. "Couldn't have done better with a pack of mastodons and a Move Earth spell."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #1432

---------------

Grey has never loved nature that much, digging dirt up definitely not his strong suit; still he tries to help the others as much as he can and when the deed is done, he eats voraciously the home-cooked meal Maria prepares for them. Between bites, Grey shares his thoughts with the others "Safer to assume the enemy is intelligent. Now that we have laid traps, I say we should also block all the entrance except the one we want to use so that the enemy might have troubles flanking us." he then lowers his voice to avoid being heard by Maria and her family "And the family does not get eaten while we fight. You know, like the old Neveren shuffle, one distracts the mark while the other goes for the prize."
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2024-04-17 at 06:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ted says ”The soil was, uh, loose.”

I wonder what came over me. Anyway, it’s a good pit!
    Last edited by kinem; 2024-04-17 at 05:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Ted says ”The soil was, uh, loose.”
    "I suppose it was..." Rose nods in agreement, though did he sound defensive? Maybe rose shouldn't pry. It's been a trying time.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

((Waiting on @kowaru for any input from Helen.

It looks like our goblin may have dropped they haven't been around in a while.))
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2024-04-19 at 10:03 AM.
    Festival of Heroes:

26. - Top - End - #1436

NecromancerGuy

Cheyanne Julus
    Cheyanne seems to lose herself in the steady, hard work. It's not exactly her forte, but she's strong and has the endurance for it. She only snorts briefly as she sees Ted dig with his hands so effectively, otherwise content to trust her comrade despite the odd, canine behavior.

"I agree, Grey - the only reason we're here is that this family needs help. We funnel the attackers where we want them and end this threat, if we can," agrees Cheyanne before going inside for dinner.

She eats the meal with some gusto, enjoying a second helping of everything and a third of the mutton (assuming there is enough). "We should be sure to stand watch tonight - maybe one member of the family at a time, with a couple of us too? The injured should continue to rest, but if anyone is sure the enemies are out there then we wake up everyone to be ready to fight. I can take the first watch. Who wants to stay up with me?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cheyanne has no buffs or anything to prepare, so I think she's ready to stand watch...

27. - Top - End - #1437

---------------

"I'll stay." Grey says in response to Cheyanne, then dismissively waves his hand and adds "Ahhh, you know what? I'll stay as long as it takes for those creatures to show up. I hate being awake during day, everything is too bright and loud." he grimaces like daytime truly causes him physical pain "Monsters think they own the night and I would love to dispel this notion." Grey ends with a chuckle and a grin, but he does seem somewhat angry.

28. - Top - End - #1438

Rose listens to the plan. "I'm often up early, so I'll volunteer for third. Assuming we get that far. Hopefully they don't pick up that there more warm bodies in the house than usual."

She'll help with the dishes, knowing that hosting a group of adventurers is probably not a common thing for the family to do.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As you settle down for the night, during greys watch, you can sense eyes upon you. You each awake from slumber as Grey rises to his feet, out of the window at the edge of the farmstead, you can see them. 3 grey wolves stand apart from an even larger wolf. The larger wolf has black fur and eyes glow red as Steam rises from its maw. There is a palpable menace in the air and it is being directed at those inside the house.
    Festival of Heroes:

30. - Top - End - #1440

Grey - HP: 43\43 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: Cloak of Darkness (1 Hr.), Remove Fear (10 min.)

---------------

As soon as the enemies show themselves, Grey wakes up whoever is still sleeping and whispers to alert the others of what is happening "Got company. Three wolves, at least one of them is definitely not a regular one." that said, he prepares himself for the fight, almost eager to give battle to whatever creatures are waiting for them outside the safety of the house.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grey casts Remove Fear on himself and one of the others, Protection from Evil on Ted and then Cloak of Darkness.