New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 24/33, 3 thp
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Turning west, following the sound of thumping, Doredan looks over the door warily. "Some wild experiment, I wager." If they were to clear the building, they would need to eliminate the danger. But for now, it is contained. He continues to the corner and peers around it. "The weather and time outside the windows has changed," he observes. Everything considered, not the most unsettling thing on this moon. "And a stairway to the second floor. I suggest we clear the first before we ascend."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 33 / 33 THP: 11

PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 1/3, 3rd: 1/2; channel 2/3

Bil hurries to follow the prince, looking over his shoulder and motioning for the party to keep pace.
    "This wizard is a master of control and misdirection. We should examine things closely before we commit to trusting our senses." Bil pauses a moment, gazing into the night rain before prodding the puddle with the edge of his shield.

"With all deference to your lordship, if we have the chance to bypass a few traps and dangers to seek a more direct path to the wizard, I suggest we do so. Additional combat only serves to endanger us. From everything we have seen so far, the wizard's guardians are no praetorian guard. If we defeat the wizard, I expect they will seek new accommodations elsewhere."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Acting to disbelieve the illusion through both focus (looking for flaws) and contact
    Investigation 11, if needed

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 32/32 THP: 5
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Protected from Evil and Good
    Concentrating on: Protection from Evil and Good
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 4/10
    Alchemical treats: 7/7 granting 3THP

At the cold blue witchlights, Hylusi paused - and then nodded, pleased.

<They are pleasant, are they not?> Hylusi comments, gesturing towards the lights. <A homely touch to see so far from Bleakpines.>

As the party peered around, she watched the storm briefly but without much interest, and much the same to the hidden beast behind the door.

Once Bil was done with his experimenting, she led them back to the study.

<Indeed. Let us explore the rest before we seek to deal with whatever is within that chained room. The study is the most promising, even if it is guarded by...> She examined the riddle with distaste. <...a child's puzzle, it seems.>

What was wrong with honest murder-hexes, like on her own quarters back home? Well, whatever. Putting the foolishness of half measures out her mind, she put her mind to the task.

Taking a light from someone, she summoned a spectral hand - a skeletal thing, floating in the air, and from a safe distance, lit two of the candles - red and blue.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Action: light the red and blue candles to make purple
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mage's Manse

When the first candle lights, it rapidly fades, the red flame growing small and threatening to go out quickly. Once the blue is lit, however, both grow stronger, lift off their candles, and merge to a purple light the size of a torch. It sinks into the door, and their is an audible CLUNK as the door unlocks. It opens a few inches, as though beckoning you inside.

The Study

You enter a room that appears to be slightly bigger on the inside then it should be capable of, taking up enough room that it would superimpose over much of the mansion. Inside, there is a small, well kept library on stacks along the walls, a fire place with glowing embers to light the room, and a small, simple desk covered in papers, a handful of gems, and a skull that is definitely not human. There are two locked drawers, both of which have a small brass lock. A painting over the fireplace has a stern looking caster in robes, who looks down on you all forebodingly, almost as though the eyes were following you.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #275

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil examines the room with some interest. Visiting two libraries in one day! His mother would be so proud.
    "An unsettling portrait... Do you think it is an ancestor? or a former master? As villainous wizards go, it seems a little on the nose to hang a portrait of oneself over the fireplace. But, I guess when one has devoted one's life to perfecting your own personal Art, perhaps you come to see yourself as the only person in the world worth gazing upon?"

He examines the portrait more closely.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Perception 11

Last edited by jscape2000; 2023-08-04 at 12:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Peering into the study as he passes, Derendil walks further down the hallway. He stands at the turn, examining the two rooms further down. The kitchen and dining room, he would wager from the decal on the doors. They don't seem important, so he walks back to the study door and stands in it keeping watch behind the party. "How exactly does one find a ghost?" he wonders aloud. "Can one sense the magic in them with a sensory spell?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2023-08-05 at 06:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 44
    PP:10 PIv: 09 PIs: 10
    Lay on Hands: 25/25 Spell Slots: 4/2

Felicity wrinkled her nose and frowned. "I can sense them. Sometimes. If they're not too far away." She smiled. "I can't always do anything about them. But that's why I'm happy to have friends nearby."

She opened her senses to the Divine and scented the room for any taint of unnatural evil.

Show

Divine Sense. 60 ft.

Last edited by truemane; 2023-08-03 at 01:10 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

8. - Top - End - #278

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Having gleaned all he can from the portrait, Bil moves closer to Felicity.
    "Always good to have a warren full of friends, I agree."

He scratches the scruff of his chin, considering the prince's question. "If Lady Felicity's senses are not up to the task, then we'll find it the same way we find anyone else. By looking." He considers the books of the library. "Though, perhaps we can confirm if we are being observed." He selects a slender volume from the shelf, and then turns and walks with grim intent towards the fireplace.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Mage's Manse

Felicity's senses flood with a lingering, low grade stink of petty selfishness and negative thoughts, but not enough to signify some greater evil, undead, or other source of negative energy. This remains true even as a pair of ethereal hands appear before Bil and shove him forcibly back away from the fire, hard enough to actually hurt. He crashes back against the desk, tossing the book in the air. One of the hands flits quickly ahead and catches the book, carefully putting it back onto the shelf in it's previous position.

Show
    No evil aura like undead. The shove deals 3 damage to Bil when he bumps the desk.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

Hylusi watched, amused, as Bil was shoved backwards.

<Interesting. And well deserved. Books are not for burning.> Hylusi comments. She lets a finger trail over the shells of the books, reading the titles on each to look for the most relevant tomes. <Further investigation is needed.>

With a click of her fingers, her own spectral hand plucked one of the gems from the table and held it up, waiting to see how the guardian would react.

Show

Rolled a 28 for arcana.
    And the skull, too.

11. - Top - End - #281

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity gasps when Bil is shoved. She gets into a defensive stance and brandishes her pike, but by the time she's ready, the hands are done.

"I can't detect any ghosts, or undead, or devils, or demons, or anything like that. So whatever this is, it's something different."

That was the best she could do. She was a blunt instrument and this wasn't really her department.

12. - Top - End - #282

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 33 / 33 THP: 8

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil tumbles backwards with a joyful laugh. A new experience! How thrilling.
    Chuckling, he springs to his feet, shaking off the small bruise, which was absorbed by Damh’s blessing.
    “Ok, sir ghost. Are you watching? Or are paranoid enough to ward you fireplace?

Reaching for another book, he aims it at the fireplace.

Spoiler
    Show
    10 ranged attack with improvised weapon

13. - Top - End - #283

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Watching the hare's strange book-burning obsession with mild amusement, Doredan looks over at Felicity. "So those hands, whatever they may be, are no ghost. What else could it be?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mage's Manse

There is no response from the ethereal hands as Hylusi snares a gem, though one hand does extend a rude finger at her before disappearing. You have no reason not to believe that if some attack is made against the books again the hands might not reappear and dissuade you all again. However, as Bil speaks up to address the mage, both Felicity and Doredan catch a subtle sense of movement hanging above the fireplace move to the corner of the room. Then, and only then, does a voice seem to boom down from the portrait.

"LOOT WHAT YOU MAY, BUT MY BOOKS ARE FOR READING, NOT FOR BURNING. TAKE MY TREASURES, RAID MY TOMB, AND LOCK THE DOOR ON YOUR WAY OUT. MAY MY RICHES BRING YOU NOUGHT BUT SORROW, MUCH AS THEY BROUGHT MY DAMNABLE SOUL!"

Spoiler: Arcana 10
    Show
    A ghostly voice from nowhere! Maybe there is a haunting here!
    Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    A modified minor illusion spell is being used for communication. A parlor trick, but again showing a mastery of the basics which is commendable. Most would have to be in the room to cast this spell, and unless someone is hiding very well they are casting the spell remotely.

Spoiler: Doredan and Felicity DC 13 Arcana
    Show
    You sense that there is an invisible sensor of some kind around the ceiling of the room, looking down on all of you. This sounds like a moderately powerful divination spell, and likely means the caster is within some reasonable distance from you- not in the room, but likely in the house.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #285

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Looking around the room, Doredan thinks to himself. Then, he snaps his fingers. "I see. Yes, I understand now. There is no ghost at all - or if there is, he is not haunting us by ghostly means," the prince explains, "Someone here is wielding cantrips at a much higher level than they ought to be able to. Be it a ghost or a wizard, they are somehow watching us. I'm guessing a ward that allows them to... see or hear into the room? I am no expert in such matters."

Pointing at where he figures the sensor is, he announces, "And those hands suggest one other thing. Whomever you are, by order of the Library, you are demanded to return the library book that you unlawfully absconded with."

16. - Top - End - #286

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 39/44

Felicity frowned and look around. She had a sense that there was something here. Something she should know, or see, or sense. But after a moment it was gone.

"I'm no expert, either," she said to the Prince, "I'm still hoping Hylusi can make some sense of all this."

17. - Top - End - #287

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD

Bil chuckles.
    "That's a more satisfying response than I was hoping for."

He scans the room, looking for but finding no further hits.

He calls out: "Sir ghost. Since you care nothing for your treasure or your tomb, what is it you love enough to haunt this place? "

More softly, almost to himself, he asks, "Why stay somewhere that brings you no pleasure?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mage's Study

"FINE, FINE. I HAVE NO ISSUE RETURNING THE BOOK, BUT I INSIST THAT THE GREATEST WORK OF THE CENTURY BY THE HERALDED SON OF THE CITY DESERVES A BETTER POSITION THAN MOULDERING ON A SHELF NEXT TO THE PRATTLINGS OF INFANTILE PHILOSOPHERS. I WILL PROVIDE A STAND TO SET THE BOOK ON TOP OF THE SHELF, WHERE IT CAN BE PROMINANTLY DISPLAYED. IF THE LIBRARIAN AGREES TO THIS CONDITION I WILL RETURN THE BOOK." The booming voice stinks of superiority and pride, as though he was talking down to underlings.

When Bil questioned the invisible figure, the hands turn their attention to him, miming as though they were being used in conversation. "I AM STILL HERE BECAUSE I AM TRAPPED HERE! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE WITH HALF A BRAIN TO ARRIVE AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY! A RIVAL HAS ENSORCELLED ME AND BOUND ME IN SOME DARK, TERRIBLE CORNER OF MY OWN HOME! IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO RELEASE ME, I WILL FIND A WAY TO REWARD YOU HANDSOMLY, YOU VAGABONDS."
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

<The Prince is right. The magic being used here is greatly interesting. It is watching us through some means, but I don't believe it is present here.> Hylusi comments. <Which fits what it says. Well, let us continue our search. I cannot speak with the ghost directly - an... unfortunate consequence of my telepathy. Tell it to speak of all it knows of its binding.>

With another click of her fingers, she lifted the gems and deposited them into a pouch, taking note of any of particular interest.

Show

Take the lustre.

20. - Top - End - #290

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil brightens when the wizard responds.
    “Well any spell of binding has a solution. We will seek it. While we begin the search, can you tell us more about your imprisonment?”
    Bil begins to move to the next room.

“Lady Magus, have you prepared a spell of magic detection? It would take me several minutes to prepare the ritual to ask it of Damh. I am happy to do so.

21. - Top - End - #291

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity was half-delighted, helf-terrified by the matter-of-fact response by the ghost. As a Fey creature, her experience with the Other Side was steeped in riddles and mystery and cryptic poetry. It was... odd... to have a ghost just.... talk to them.

"Excuse me? Your Ghostship? We promise to attend to your dilemma right away. In the meantime, do you have any objection to us occupying this residence? Cleaning it up and tidying and moving in? We promise to treat it with respect and care."

She paused. Thought a moment.

"And, like, maybe you won't be staring us when we're changing, or in the bathroom?"

22. - Top - End - #292

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Caught somewhat off-guard by the mage-spirit's response, Doredan lowers his accusatory finger and waves his hand a little, momentarily at a loss for words. "Well - that is... surprisingly reasonable. Very well. We will see to your passing from this purgatory, spirit. And I will ensure that the book is given its proper place." Or at least that the librarian is told so. It's not his library.

"Now shall we stop burning books and move along?" the prince straightens his sleeve and follows Bil towards what he assumes are the kitchen and dining room, opening and peering into whichever one the hare does not.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    3/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 0/1
    Fingerbone staff 4/10

The Magus held up a hand.
    <One moment, your highness.>

She turned the white embers of her eyes on Bil.
    <I have. All the same, it might be worthwhile to take the time for you to cast it anyway.> Hylusi replies to the rabbit, her mind-voice hissing. <I can do the same. Since this room seems safe enough, it is best to preserve our arcana for now.>

Show

If we're ritual casting, PfEaG will expire so she'll ritual cast detect magic instead.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Mage's Manse

The gems are both valuable and sizable, totaling eight with each being worth fifty gold pieces, and the disembodied voice seems to care for them not a bit. He does, however, give a litany of instructions to Doredan on how his book should be displayed, how he should be referred to as an author, and how much more respect it deserved. When Felicity enquires about staying here, the "ghost" huffs. "I DO SUPPOSE THAT SOMEONE SHOULD INHABIT A HOME AS FINE AS MINE. AND DO NOT WORRY ABOUT VOYEURISM. IF I HAD THE EQUIPMENT NECESSARY TO ENJOY THE VIEW I WOULD STILL BE UNINTERESTED."

He seems VERY interested to tell you of his imprisonment, though. "I'M STUCK SOMEWHERE! I CAN WIGGLE THE FINGERS ON MY LEFT HAND TO CAST SPELLS, WHISPER WORDS OF POWER, AND BREATHE THROUGH MY NOSE, BUT I BELIEVE I AM MAGICALLY IMPRISONED IN A WALL SOMEWHERE! I JUST CAN'T TELL WHICH ONE, NO MATTER WHAT MAGICAL SENSES I APPLY TO THE TASK! THE ONLY CLUE I CAN DETERMINE IS THAT I CAN SMELL A FAINT ODOR OF RHYS' PETALS, A FLOWER KNOW TO GROW HERE AND THERE THROUGHOUT THE CITY! BUT I SPECIFICALLY CLEARED THE GROUNDS OF IT, BECAUSE I CANNOT STAND THE STINK OF THE SMALL WHITE FLOWERS!"
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #295

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    3 / 5 d8 HD
    Settling on the floor, Bil softly sings one of Damh’s mantra.
    “There’s only this. Forget regret. Or life is yours to miss.”

He repeats the refrain, breathing deeply to focus himself on this moment, this wonderful strange place, these wonderful strange people, this wonderful strange opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life… or unlife, as the case may be.

When he rises, his eyes shimmer with a golden blessing that allows him to see magic spread around him in sheets of color.

[COLOR=#0000FF] “I’d like to head back outside, perhaps our honored host is imprisoned in an exterior wall, or a garden flagstone. Something near the flower he has mentioned.”Master Desquiren, we encountered one of your servants in the stables on the way in. If you have other such guardians present, might I ask you to let them know how charming and loquacious we are?”

26. - Top - End - #296

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

"Of all the times not to have brought the royal carpenter," Doredan idly laments. Surely they would know how to detect something inside the walls. The flowers are a convenient clue, at least. The hare's keen nose would surely detect them, if not a magical source.

27. - Top - End - #297

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity listened carefully to the Ghost Mage. She was pleased because this seemed like a job she could actually do. Between swimming and fighting ghosts, she's been feeling more than a little out of place since they got here.

"I can take a look around the property and see if I can see any of those flowers he's talking about!" she offered, brightly.

"I mean, probably he's trapped somewhere far away or something. But it's a decent start. And we should know the property if we're going to live here anyway."

She paused, though, waiting to hear the Mage answer the question about further guardians.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Mage's Manse

"YOU KILLED SQUELCHER? SHAME. HE WAS A LOYAL SERVANT. OH WELL. THERE'S A COMMAND GEM ON THE DESK... NOT ON TOP, BUT IN THE TOP DESK DRAWER. IT CAN SHUT DOWN MY TRAPS AND CALM MY GUARDIANS. THE KEY IS BEHIND MY FATHER'S PAINTING IN A SECRET COMPARTMENT THAT YOU'LL NEED TO CUT OPEN TO FIND. Sure enough, when the painting is flipped there is a small, soft cover to an concave hole. Upon cutting it open, a small brass key is carefully clipped inside by a metal latch. When applied to the top desk drawer it opens, revealing several objects.

Spoiler: In the Top Desk Drawer
    Show
    A silver quill with a black feather on the end. The edges of the feather are colorful, like oil spilled on water.

A gem the size of a halfling's fist. It doesn't appear overly valuable or precious, but it does have Desquiren's symbol carved into it, and it radiates magic.

A small letter opener with a signet stone implanted in one end of it. This gem does look valuable, but the knife is much heavier than it appears, and razor sharp.

Several small purses, one containing 50 cp, one with 50 sp, one with 50 gp, and one with strange coins of a cerulean blue metallic hue that none of you recognize (also 50)

Spoiler: The Bottom Desk Drawer
    Show
    A ratty robe that looks like pajamas far past their prime. It has 20 patches of various cloths, leathers, and materials, each one about the size of a good skipping stone.

A wand that looks damaged and burnt on one end, as though a spell misfired. The tip is smoking slightly.

A glass bottle the size of a pint glass filled with grey smoke that roils and rollicks within the container. If you stare at it too long you start to see monstrous smoky faces appear and disappear every few seconds.

Spoiler: The Main Desk Drawer
    Show
    A small wooden potion holder that currently has seven openings, five of which are filled with small, intricate glass vials filled with colorful liquid.

A mosquito made of delicately carved copper. Periodically the wings flutter, it lifts off the desk for a moment, then settles down.

A flask that makes liquid sounds when it is shook sealed by a metal cap.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #299

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    Conditions:

Following the directions, Doredan lifts up the painting and uses his dagger to slice open the hidden compartment. Twirling the key in his fingers, he deftly unlocks the desk drawers. "Perhaps with this gem we can avoid anymore unnecessary conflicts with your servants," he says, plucking the fist-sized gem from the drawer and turning it over. "Is there a command phrase we need to use, or is will enough to activate the gem?"

He also examines the letter opener, testing the weight. It feels more like a weapon than a mere tool.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

The Mage's Manse

REST ASSURED, THE GEM WILL BE ENOUGH. SIMPLY DISPLAY IT AND SPEAK AUTHORATATIVELY. IF FOR SOME REASON THAT DOES NOT WORK, SPEAK THE WORD ELINHIM AND IT WILL CAUSE PAIN IN ANY WHO ARE FEELING INSUBORDINATE. THEY WILL MIND YOU SOON ENOUGH.

The letter opener is perfectly balanced, spinning on Doredan's finger like a top, but feels to have the weight of a shortsword... maybe even a longsword. It is also appears to have unnatural balance for throwing, considering it's size and weight. He is not sure, but he assumes the secret is to let the dagger fly.
    The Bear is Back.