New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 38/38 THP: 6
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Pizza Power: Advantage on a Str or Con check until next long rest
    Savtuan Dream: 1/1 /LR, add Int, Wis or Cha to a physical check, attack or damage roll (before the roll is made)

Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 2/3 2nd, 2/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 7/10
    Alchemical treats: 3/7 granting 6THP
    Goreling count: 7

Hylusi mulled on what she'd heard. What was her princess planning among such creatures? How had she got in contact with them, and what was her plan?

It must have something to do with royal blood; either for the metaphysical properties of royalty, or the particular bloodline of the Harumvale monarchs. She gave their own prince a calculating glance.

Whatever it was for, at least she had one of her own to hand - even if he wasn't awful for a human.

She didn't know enough. And if there was one thing Hylusi hated, it was other people knowing something she didn't.

<What else do you know about this Aesul Mural? Did this demigod have associations with royalty? What else do you know about the curse on it? What were their origins?> she sent at last.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Crossplane Cantina

"Aesul's Revenge is the size of a sailing ship. Meant to carry lots of illicit cargo. The rudder on such a ship would be a task worth considering for a brute of a devil, let alone mortals such as yourselves." He speaks dismissively, rudely in fact, to John's suggestion. Then he addresses the others.

"I don't know much about his clients. I know he had business with the foul Curse-eater demon, ran dangerous cargo for a cadre of backbiting self serving wizards who have claimed a small plane for themselves, and he spoke of a underground community where lava runs down from the sky like rain that he raided with his troupe of serpents and fools. There were other tall tales, but those are the ones that rang with the most truth, and the only ones I committed to memory, and I don't know anything more than I've already told you on that matter. You'll have to do the rest of the gumshoe work investigating those leads on your own."

On the subject of the demi-god Aesul Myrak, Vassan orders another ale before elaborating. "He was a cruel bastard, a god of order and tyranny. Used his status as a divine progeny to secure quite the kingdom, where the populace were forced to worship him. Obsessed with music, like he wanted to be the god of music or something. Who has ever heard about an evil god of music? Either way, the pantheon of Splintered Reach denied his right to rule them, politely at first but eventually more firmly. Pissed Aesul off something terrible. So he tried to cast their entire plane into oblivion. But he didn't have the metaphysical might to do it, so he broke some very intrinsic laws of the universe. Now the dumb *** is paying for it."
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    AC: 14+0 HP: 40/39+5 thp: 6
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Extra Attack: Just a friendly reminder to myself
    Accurate: Ignore up to 2 AC of targets from armor or natural armor (min. 10)
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

An evil god of music, indeed. These key terms provide some additional leads to pile alongside the princess-doppelganger's, however. "Some things to look into," Doredan comments passively. "Do the rest of you have any further questions?" he asks his companions, his own relevant curiosities already being covered.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2024-03-06 at 04:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 12 PIv: 12 PIs: 9
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John seems a little disappointed that his brilliant idea that no one else would ever have thought of was so quickly dismissed, but he didn't object. He continues to listen to Vassan's explanations, although the multitude of names mostly go over his head. "What do you plan to do now that you're freed, Vassan?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 38 / 41 THP: 6

PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 2/3, 3rd: 0/3; channel 3/3

Bil sips his drink and considers the slight insights the devil had offered. A coven of wizards might be too interested in their own internecine conflicts to devote serious resources to destroying a distant enemy. Demons could be trusted as allies even less than devils. Perhaps the underground community? But if it were weak enough to be easy raiding, they seemed unlikely to have resources to marshal on retribution.

The groups leads seem vanishingly thin.

John's idea was a good start though. If the rudder couldn't be stolen, then perhaps the ship could?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Last edited by jscape2000; 2024-03-11 at 09:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossplane Cantina

Vassan turns to John and a wicked grin spreads across his face. "I intend to lay low for a bit. Gather some information of the state of things in Hell. Maybe accumulate some... capital... so my return is not so thoroughly punished. I'm quite late for work." He chuckles and moves to stand. "If none of you need anything else, I'll just mosey on along and start doing that. If you intend to cause trouble for Jin I wish you the best and sincerest of luck."
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #577

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

"Farewell, then," the prince offers, the most polite send-off he can manage for the devil. Were he less concerned about the ramifications of breaking a devil-deal, he might have half a mind to ensure the creature is wiped from the face of the multi-verse...

But then, he is equally concerned with not antagonizing the local ruler.

Once Vassan has made his exit, Doredan informs the party, "We should see to returning some of those lost books to the library of worlds, and gather information on their missing, faceless scholar. I should also report to the Mantis with the potential lead we located; even if we opt not to pursue it, information about the chest Jin was spotted with could be valuable to other investigators."

8. - Top - End - #578

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John nods at Vassan's answer, clearly relieved by the knowledge that Vassan wasn't going to go out and start harvesting souls or anything, and was instead going to find paying work instead.

After he leaves, and Doredan speaks of strange things, like a Library of Worlds, a missing faceless scholar, a mantis, and other investigators, John's relief turns to confusion, and he responds to Doredan, trying to figure things out. "Library of Worlds? Missing scholar? Mantis? Other investigators?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #579

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

"Please, you should at least recall what my 'sister' told us, she was your employer," the prince scolds John for his inattentiveness, with a twirl of his hand. "The Library of Worlds is where the scholar we were considering investigating once worked. The one whose face Jin stole. As for the Mantis, she is the ruler of this moon, and has an open bounty out for a chest of her personal currency that Jin stole from her. Doriana's leads contained a hint to its location."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2024-03-15 at 04:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John shakes his head. "No, I know that much. But from what you and Bil said, you have both been there before. It is a library, I presume? If you were there recently, did you hear anything about a missing scholar? And if Mantis is the ruler of this moon, would she potentially be able to provide information, as well as receive it?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #581

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

The haregon priest allows himself a qualm of regret. Surely, they have released evil into the world. But on the other hand, that evil would be expending its efforts feuding with other devils, at least for the short term.

"Prince Doredan, I do not believe we should share our news with the Mantis yet. There is little enough to go on, but even still, providing guidance to other investigators might complicate our own pursuit. Should they harry Jin, or worse, should Jin have spies among the royal court, he may react in ways we cannot anticipate, and our slight gains will be undermined."

Bil gazes meaningfully in the direction of the departed devil. "The information we've bought has come at a high price for the multiverse, and I feel responsible for the death and chaos Vassan will surely leave in his wake as he resumes his station in Hell. If that cost comes in service of a greater good, I think I can live with it..." . Bil takes a sip of his beer, which he finds delights him less than he'd like.

Show

Last edited by jscape2000; 2024-03-16 at 09:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    Savtuan Dream: 1/1 /LR, add Int, Wis or Cha to a physical check, attack or damage roll (before the roll is made)

Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Hylusi gave a light shrug.

<The multiverse is already swollen with devils. One more will not make much of a difference. Besides, we had our chance to bargain more restrictions on it for our benefit.> she sent, clearly not very concerned at unleashing a entity of evil out into the wild. She took a sip of wine, her mental voice meaning she didn't need to pause 'speaking' as she did so.
    <That said, I agree with ser rabbit - or cleric, rather, being rabbit no more at the moment. We have no need to pass on information yet to the Mantis. Better to present a done deal - we don't want to give others advantage or risk tipping our foe off, and neither do we want to bring ourselves to the attention of the Mantis if we risk failing and incurring her displeasure. No, let us seek ths scholar ourselves.>

Show

Last edited by Awful; 2024-03-17 at 07:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

Bil flashes a grin towards the necromancer, accepting her jest at his expense with good humor.

"Rest and recuperation first, yes? The scholar will wait for morning"

Bil will stay and drink and chat with anyone who wants to enjoy the town a bit.

Show

Last edited by jscape2000; 2024-03-23 at 10:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #584

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John looks between Hylusi, Bil, and Prince Doredan. "Are we decided, then, that we're to rest until morning, or whatever passes for morning in this place, before trying to find a way to this Library?"

Show

Because if so, John does have a thing he can try to do(And probably fail)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:

Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Hylusi nodded, finished her wine and rose to her feet. The three servitors fell into formation around her.
    <Quite so. I will be departing; if you drink yourself into a stupor, I will not provide alchemical assistance in the morning.>

Show

16. - Top - End - #586

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh

Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

With a wave, Bil sees his friends off, and then ordering another round moves from their secluded table to the bustle of the bar in the main common area.

Spoiler: Late Night Shenanigans
    Show
    Bil picks out the most interesting person in the bar who is there alone, or in a pair. "Well met, friends. My name is Bil Mabovoh, and while my friends have decided to turn in early. But I've always been a bit of a night Deilenaar. May I join you?" Bil flashes a grin with new mouth, and without waiting for a reply, leans rakishly against the bar to join their conversation.

17. - Top - End - #587

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John looks at Hylusi, a question dancing in his eyes. "Do you have a room here, or somewhere else? I doubt I'll be able to find you without some direction in the morning, and I've business of my own to pursue this evening."

Spoiler: Evening Expedition
    Show

After working out the details of where everyone was staying, John approaches the barman. "Might I borrow a few moments of your time? I'm trying to find someone, but I'm afraid that I'm fairly new in town. Would you be able to direct me to someone or some group that might be able to provide assistance?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossplane Cantina

As the majority of the group disperses for the evening, Bil, in his bodacious body-builder form, approaches the bar and sets to enjoy the nightlife of Timeborne. He meets many new people over the evenings, what with the natural gregariousness of his people and the supernatural pecs and abs he's sporting. A travelling merchant in between jobs who has many tales of daring scores to secure less than legal cargo for the right bidders. An imp not much bigger than the pint glass he nurses from who is bemoaning his significant other being summoned as a lowly familiar for some upstart sorcerer, and a mercenary who mumbles vaguely of the "Time Wars", heavy into his cups who keeps shouting "WHAT YEAR IS IT?!?" until the bouncer escorts him out.

But most fascinating of all is the most ever-present yet innocuous of the customers of the cantina- a violet skinned woman bearing a large, stringed instrument. Her voice fills the bar as she plucks the strings, providing a beat that several people are dancing to. In the haze of smoke and the press of bodies, her music cuts through it all to stir the soul... and a bit more than that, as her dulcet tones espouse lurid lyrics that border on the lewd. As she sings, crystalline growths seem to blossom and emerge from her body like sores, each one a glittering, shining, and flashing brilliant lights that fill the bar with a show of both sound and sensation, and then meld back into her body. A one woman show, she enhances the vibe of the cantina a great deal. After playing half her set, she approaches the bar, a circle of gemstones emerging around her orange eyes before receding. Though perhaps disturbingly exotic, she also has a classical beauty that draws the eye. Speaking with a forked tongue and a raised, glittering eyebrow, she says "You're the best looking man in this bar. Buy me a drink and I'll dedicate the next song to you. What's your poison? I'll take a Glacier Ice..." She reaches out and circles the rim of your glass, extending her tongue in a teasing manner. "and you'll freshen up with a...?"

Worldswept Market

John, curious if this place can teach him something about himself, takes to the most populous area to search for his questions. His search is a bewildering tour of the multiverse's most exotic peoples, creatures, and everything inbetween. He sees diabaolic or demonic looking creatured doing business with those with the features he vaguely associated with angels and the high heavens, trading everything from street food to jewelry to magical trinkets. No one has much in the way of answers for him- his knowledge and memory or damaged enough, and no one seems to remember him or the places he recalls. But a beggar at the edge of the crowd reaches out to him. For a moment John's first impulse is to walk past, but a flash of energy pulses up the beggar's arm, illuminating lines and words in some foreign tongue much like the marks on John's own body. These don't look like tattoos done with ink, however, much more appearing to be life lines and meridians that pulse with a weak, glowing energy. The dark-skinned man says "Whoah, Traveler! I beg you, a Path coin and I'll tell you a tale like none you've ever heard!"

Back at the Mansion

Hylusi and Doredan return to the former Mage's mansion, and they find it brighter, more populated, and less dusty than when they had seen it previously. The house staff had watered the plants, washed the windows, dusted and wiped down just about everything, and with only a moment's notice they provide a sumptuous meal of deep fried cheese coated in spiced bread crumbs, along with a suitable wine accompaniment. While eating the sinfully delicious comfort food, both the Magus and the Prince feel a feline presence rub against their legs and hear a voice say "Merrrooowww!", clearly begging. One of the staff leaned down and held a hand out, rubbing at a clearly invisible cat. "Chef named it Schrodinger. We're not sure if it's a ghost or an air elemental or what, but it's a friendly little thing. Only bites.... OWWW! Occasionally..."
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #589

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

Before Returning

"We've an estate of our own, reclaimed from the urban decay," the prince informs their new mercenary, producing a paper and pen from his bag with a flourish. Utilizing excellent penmanship considering the rugged bar table used as a writing surface, he transcribes directions to the wizard's former mansion, now theirs', using the permanent locations they'd become familiar with as reference points. "You can read, yes?" he asks for confirmation, as he proffers the paper towards John. Perhaps better asked before he wrote the thing, but hindsight is ever clear.

The Mansion

"We really should consider a better name for this place than 'the former wizard's mansion' or 'the wizard's former mansion'," the Prince voices as he and the Magus step inside. Already, the air of clean refinement is a great and welcome boon post-swamp. "Considering our respective political roles," he expresses to her, "I think it would not be too presumptuous to call it the Viridor Mansion. Perhaps the name would draw any surviving subjects who wander these streets after the moon's passing."

His first stop is a swift, hot scrub in his room to wash off the swamp residue. A more extensive and luxurious soak could wait until the matters of food were attended to. And so he finds himself in the dining hall, encircled by the curious pet familiar. "Would that I knew a healthy diet for you, little one," he mentions to the cat's insistent meowing. If it knows that results come from begging, the wizard surely fed it table scraps and it survived, so he snaps off a piece of the decadent cheese stick to share with it.

"Schrodinger. A curious name, does it mean anything in... vedalken?" Doredan comments on the servant's announcement, hoping he recalled the name of the chef's species correctly. Perhaps he should try to learn their names. It is good to keep the serving staff happy - the ire of those who handle your food and tend the place while you sleep is oft a schematic to downfall, as his tutor would say. "What are you called, server?" he asks.

20. - Top - End - #590

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Rather than answer Prince Doredan's question, John looks at the paper, seemingly to determine if he can read the language. "It seems that I can read. At least, that language. Others? Less so. I appreciate the directions."

After leaving, John finds his way to the Worldswept Market, where many strange and wondrous creatures and sights awaited. Sadly, angels, demons, travelers... all with goods, but none with information. Except for the begger. He had seen several of them by this point, and the disdain by which they were treated by the crowds. But this once... that glow, those lights. They seemed... similar. But a Path coin? That he did not have. "I'm afraid that I don't have a Path coin, but perhaps I can buy you a meal, to compensate you for your time?" John's interest in the man's tale was plain, as was his lack of a Path.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #591

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

Show

Bil tips his head back, and gives the woman an appraising look.
    "I prefer only the mildest poisons. At the moment, I'll have something smokey with a twist of lime." He gestures to the barkeep to confirm the order.

"Those gems are quite the lapidary blessing, and they compliment your music exquisitely. Are they a natural gift that enhance your performance, or a result of the magic in your music?"

He's delighted that she's so forward, as it allows him to play hard to get. But if she returns to her music, he'll seek out a dance partner, and make sure that his best moves occur in her line of sight.

Last edited by jscape2000; 2024-03-25 at 01:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:

Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Mansion

<It seems a suitable name, yes,> she agreed. <Certainly more convenient to say. Though I would suspect the insects have long devoured any taken citizens.>

Food time

Seated at the mansion's table, the Magus elegantly speared one of the breaded cheese lumps with a silver fork. Another two held a book; the Scion of Bleakpines tended to read while she ate. When something invisible brushed against her robes, only the presence of the others and the interjection of one of the staff prevented a quick Enervation from obliterating the invisible feline.
    <I... see.> she said at last, eyes narrowed. To the Prince alone, she hissed a curse. <This might make future fortifications and wardings more complicated. Blasted creature.>
    She huffed an irritated breath and took a sip of wine. She glanced up from the page towards her royal companion.
    <If you will satisfy my curiousity, Prince, I have some questions, from what we learned from the devil.>

Show

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Viridor Mansion

The fickle ethereal cat nips Doredan's finger as it snaps up the cheesestick, not enough to draw blood but a sharp reminder that not all who are affectionate are harmless. The server, another vedalken but one of the two armed variety, smiles and bows to Doredan's questions. "Schrodinger means something like "part this, part that" in our language. It's a term used often with restless spirits, so I suspect Chef votes the cat is a ghost. Makes sense, as locked doors do nothing to stop it." She smiles, and her eyes close, small orange freckles bunching up, exposing white teeth over blue gums. "My name is Merrowym, your highness. Merro for short. I'm Chef's niece by blood, and I am HAPPY to find service in your home. There's only so many times you can serve bad coffee to ungrateful Path walkers before you long for serving grateful and prestigious people again."

Worldswept Market

The brownskinned man with the glowing map tattoos shakes his head. "My tale will only be traded for a Path token. My last partner stole mine when we split up, and I've been left destitute since then, in this place where you can go forever without eating and never starve. I'm so hungry, but the only thing that can satiate my hunger is the freedom to walk the worlds again, my friend. If you need to find one, I know for a fact that the Flotsam and Jetsam junkshop sells various kinds of them for fifteen gold apiece when they are in stock." He lifts his hand and points at a building across the market that bears a magical glowing sign of glittering treasures being hauled in to shore by the tide.

Crossplane Cantina

The barkeep smiles and takes a large glass, putting some exotic orange spice on the bar and lighting it with an errant bit of fire magic. Trapping the smoldering spice under the glass, they tilt it upward and quickly pour a milky white liquor into the glass, followed by a squeeze of lime, then dashed with two ice cubes and the remains of the lime. "Enjoy." Says the bartender, glancing at your companion.

The violet skinned woman smiles and traces the outside of her glass with a lazy finger while speaking with Bil the Barbarian. "The gems are from my mother's side. Touched by the Earthen Realms. They react to sound, motion, and light. Makes it useful if an enemy decides to shout like a fool if they try to cut me." She easily slips a knife from a hidden sheath in her torn but functional shirt, singing a brief high note and dangerously bringing the knife down towards her palm. A blue gem blossoms upward and deflects the blow. "Ta-daa. But I'd rather be known for my music than my combat ability, so I use them for the show. Which reminds me... I've got to get back to the show. I owe you a drink, hunky. If you've got the energy to stay up all night, I can pour you one myself after my set... up in the room I'm renting. Don't disappoint me- my other parent is a tiefling, so if you fall asleep or walk away there may be hell to pay." She winks, sticks out her split tongue in a teasing fashion, and then returns to her instrument.

For the rest of the night, it almost seems like she is playing music just for Bil. Hell, AT Bil. And whenever he looks up, the glitter and flash of her gems surround piercing, feminine eyes that seem hungry for Bil... or atleast his rock hard abs.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #594

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

The Mansion

"And it is excellent to have an experienced, well-spoken entourage, to make this distant place more like home," the prince returns Merrowym - easier to remember than James or Jacob or whatever the two mercenaries had been called, at least - 's polite flattery. He rubs his nipped finger lightly. "Would you be able to pass on to whomever is in charge of fixing the place up, decorating, and so forth - magnifique work thus far - I would like to commission a sign for the mansion titling it 'Viridor Mansion'. If they have any contacts they would recommend."

Once the conversation with the server is completed, Doredan motions Hylusi to go ahead. "I would be glad to elucidate what I can, Magus."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2024-03-28 at 08:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    John nods at the brownskinned man's explanation. "All right." With that, John departs, seeking an affordable path token, starting his hunt at the indicated store. After all, this was a chance where he could learn about himself. How could he possibly pass it up? And fifteen gold, while a lot, was something he could afford.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2024-03-29 at 09:53 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:

Concentrating on:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 7/10

Mansion

Hylusi gently smoothed out the page in her book, then her dark-stained fingers quietly folded it shut with only the muted this of paper. Without looking, she handed it off, and one of the servitors stepped forward smartly to take it.
    <In truth, I do not expect much here - but know you of any ancient quirks or traits to your bloodline? I am pondering why your brother - and my Princess - were taken, out of all the monarchs in the multiverse.

Clearly it is to do with this trapped demigod. Do you have some divine blood, that might make some kind of possession or body theft easier? Is it just to do with the metamagical properties of royal blood? I do not yet know. I am lacking information, and that I despise.>

She looked at the man sitting opposite. He had good facial structure, suggestive of a well- shaped skull beneath, and Hylusi could appreciate that professionally.
    <But as something of a more personal question - why are you here, Prince? After all, if your brother did not return, you would be heir apparent - and all the power of the throne would be yours. Certainly, there is much one could find amid the multiverse - but should we rescue your kin, you will likely never wear the crown. Should we fail, your land is deprived of two sons.

No doubt my one sister is currently scheming to seize my own position as Scion and Magus of Bleakpines.>
    She smiled, warm but sharp, like a knife left by the fire, remembering the memories of her youth. < The little rascal first tried to have me assassinated when she was merely thirty. I was only sixty-three myself at the time. >

Show

27. - Top - End - #597

BlueKnightGuy

Bil

Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    6 / 6 d8 HD

Show

Bil sits for a few moments and enjoying his drink. "If this isn't nice, I don't know what it," he prays softly over his beverage, offering a moment thanks for the wild, unbelievable, magical turns his life has been blessed with.

He sets his glass on the bar, alongside a generous tip. To the barkeep he asks, "What's her name?" and "Does she play here often."

Satisfied with whatever answers he's given, he rises to meet her challenge. He spends the rest of the night dancing with whomever will join him, and making sure that the singer sees. Tangos, dance battles, line dances - even before his transformation, Bil has always been an enthusiastic dancer. Getting tap shoes to fit comfortably on his leporine feet was a real challenge for the royal cobbler back at court, but that had been worth it.

As the night wears on, Bil separates himself from the rest of the dancers, and waits with a fresh drink for the artist.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Viridor Mansion

Merro curtsies again at Doredan's compliment. "I'll ensure the Butler, Vergin, knows he is doing a complimentary job. And send one of my cousins to inquire in the market about a suitable sign. We'll have this place fixed up before you know it. If there's anything else we can do, please let us know. It is our pleasure to serve." Bowing, she steps away, heading rapidly back towards the kitchen.

Spoiler: History DC 20
    Show
    Doredan's bloodline, like most royal lineages, traces it's origins back generations and generations, proudly and meticulously marking the passage of time and generations all the way back to a divine right to rule. A near forgotten creator god known today on Viridor as the Muse of Creation supposedly raised up the Great Mountain and blessed the Reydalise line (or some ancient forbears, bloodlines get messy around the Third Crusade), and since then periodically someone would be born with the mark of a musical note, known as a Note of Creation, which continues to mark the sons and daughters of the line as blessed, with the latest scion being the Crown Prince Monsinar Reydalise. There have always been rumors and prophecies around this mark, almost all of which have proven to be false.

Worldswept Market

John finds the Flotsam and Jetsam shop to be quite a unique place, with the owner being a cloud giant woman and the stock, well, being varied, to say the least. Driftwood, rusted gadgets, precious gems, a sizable diamond, and an entire display of Pathstones. There are seven of them here, and each looks unique from the others. The shopkeep, seemingly miniaturized to a workable height but still quite tall, assures that any one of them will work just as well as any other. "Guaranteed to get you there. Up to you to get back, but it will help with that too." she takes it, wills a milky white path into existence to verify it is not just a shiny stone, and completes the exchange, yawning as the gold is handed over.

The beggar, however, holds the Pathstone up to the light and admires the glint of the bronze inlay set into a silver scarab coin. "Ahhh, my friend. This is precisely what I need. My thanks. Let me tell you my tale before I take off..."
    Spoiler: The Beggar's Tale
    Show
    Once, long ago, when the gods were establishing the different planes, they needed to plan and organize how they would shape the world. And so, using the skin of mortal men and women, they enlaid glowing lines of maps. Maps that would lead to fantastic places on planes all over the multiverse! Some of them are natural wonders, some of them are dangerous dungeons, and some of them are miraculous wonders of magics. Either way, the maps were deemed too important to die within a generation, so they took the most common species in all of creation, humans, and wove the maps into their very blood. Now, even after generations untold, a Traveler like myself will be born to human parents.

Now some Travelers make it their goal to follow their skinmap and travel the multiverse trying to find the secrets hidden by the ink in their flesh. Some reject this goal, doing their best to stay far away from the lands that are imprinted on their skins and their souls. But there was once a human, born of two Traveler parents, who was born with no map. This burned like an angry red coal inside his chest, which blossomed into a raging fire of jealousy. He decided that if he couldn't have a greater destiny like his roving, roaming parents, he would steal skinmaps from others. Slaughtered both his parents in the attempt, and the cowardly monster didn't even transfer them to himself- he inflicted them on others to see if the transfer was possible, and he discovered something terrible- when another's destiny becomes intertwined with your own, the resulting friction can tear you apart. Now, this was long ago, before your parent's grandparent's grandparent's grandparents, but in your travels watch out not only for true Travelers, as they are remarkable and well traveled people, great sources of information and tales, but also for those whose ink does not bear the glow, as the murderous child who sought to become a traveler supposedly gained a following of zealots who believed that they could steal a greater destiny by ripping the skinmap from another poor soul. They hunt us, they kill us, and worse- they steal both our futures and our pasts, ending bloodlines that have carried the echoes of the first moments of creation. Beware, sir. Beware.

Once this is relayed, the beggar flips the Path Token into the air, summoning a Path for them to walk. "Thank you for your generosity, my friend, and may my tale keep you safe. If you meet any more Travelers I hope you treat them as well as me. And if you encounter any Skin Cults run away as fast as you can!"

Crossplane Cantina

The bartender chuckles at Bil's question. "Hestia is a regular, in between her adventuring and mercenary work. Whenever she arrives in Timeborne she always brings interesting loot, interesting tales, and even more interesting songs. She writes her songs based on her travels and the dangers she encounters. And all of them get people dancing and thirsty, so management keeps her well paid to keep her coming here instead of the Pink, the dive bar across town." The music is entrancing, hypnotic, and the beats keep the dance floor occupied and active. And wherever Bil's dancing brings him, he feels the earth-blooded tiefling's gaze following him. However, once the music ends, she saunters over to Bil, taking the drink and downing it in one pull. "I'm tired, but I think I have just enough energy to... well..." She traces a finger over Bil's exposed abs. "If you're still interested that is..."
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2024-04-01 at 06:43 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #599

GreenSorcererElf

John Smith
    Human Eldritch Knight
    Conditions:
    Concentrating:
    Worldswept market

Entering the Flotsam and Jetsam shop, John looks over the array of, well... junk. Carvings, driftwood, rusted pieces of junk... so much of it, and yet, of such little practical use. But that was of little value in comparison to the real things of value here, the pathstones, and the information that might come with it.

After purchasing one, and handing it over to the beggar, he listens to the tale, and frowns, but before he can ask any questions, the beggar vanishes with barely a note of thanks. Still, John could hardly blame him. After all, in his shoes, he probably would have done something similar. In the silence of the shop after the tale is told, he looks back to the tall woman running the shop. "Could you perhaps tell me a bit more about these pathstones? How does one use one, and control where they will take you?"

Show

15 gold spent
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #600

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 6
    Conditions:

The Mansion

"I had a safe degree of skepticism for founding myths up until now, but as you mention," drawing his fingers through the air as he traces back his lineage in his mind, Doredan retells for the Magus. "Royal texts trace back to a creator god of Viridor known as the Muse of Creation. Responsible for the mountainous terrain ringing Wissimvale if lore is to be believed, and blessing the royal line."

Breaking another cheese stick open, the prince takes a moment to ponder on other matters. "There is a birthmark that sometimes appear upon royals, actually. The Note of Creation, named for this storied divine ordainment. Any stock that was once put into it faded in time as prophecies and superstitions proved time and again to be naught but fantasy," he lets a beat pass, for effect. "The crown prince bears this mark. If there is any truth in its nature, well... It certainly seems to match up to this evil divine's portfolio."