New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 23/33 THP: 11
    PP: 17 PIv: 11 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on: Guidance
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 1/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd; channel 1/2

Bil is humbled by the moment. To be carried to the aid of the royal family by a centaur - he would be careful to never use the term "ride" because he understands the honor born of urgency.

As he assesses the state of the drawbridge, it becomes clear how treacherous the path they find themselves on truly is. He offers a fresh word of prayer. "Damh, help my friend Felicity rise to this challenge."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Cast Guidance on Felicity. +1d4 on a skill check. I suggest using it on this one!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

Hylusi Quaternaros, Magus of Bleakpines
    Magework Necromancer
    Darkvision: 60ft
    AC: 15 HP: 22/32
    PP: 14 PIv: 14 PIs: 11
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on: fly
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

Seated on her staff, the Magus only briefly paused at the morass of soldiers, sellswords and such scum as had swelled before the stream. While having them enter the castle might be useful, she had not inclination to wait until they could make their way across. Even before the centaur had begun her desperate attempt to throw herself across the treacherous path, the Magus was rising on her ride.
    <I must seek out the Princess,> she messaged to the others). <I will begin at her chambers, and make my way to the main hall if I do not find her. I bid thee luck.>

With a nod, she clicked the fingers of one hand and hurtled off towards her target, seeking out her master, her face set like a picture of disdainful resolve. As she did, she called up her magic, holding the potential of a shielding magic thrumming just below reality. She had no intentions of turning a corner and being ended by some stupid human's hasty crossbow bolt.

Be ready
    , she commanded her gorelings, and beneath her robe they stirred in preparation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Reaction: shield if necessary.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Castle Gate

As those capable of flying (and one which is quite carryable) fly off towards the caste, Felicity, with Bil aboard, rushes towards the broken remains of the draw bridge. With several accurate leaps and a burst of athleticism and strength that leaves some soldiers dumbstruck, she jumps from a timber to some broken stones and across the gap with a combination of magical aid and well trained aptitude. Once she is clear she finds herself running through the palace foyer. A few guards remain behind, but most are sprinting towards the heart of the palace with reckless regard. One nearly crashes into Felicity's rearquarters before backing away, recognizing her. "Lady Knight!" The plain faced but recognizable man turned to the harengon cleric and said "Master Cleric! Please come with us. A terrible monster holds the stair and none dare face it!"

Led forward, Felicity enters the area ahead of her guide, revealing the sprawling heart of the castle. No less than eight exits lead to the various areas of the castle, but most are underground and all are well labeled. Those of most interest to our heroes are the broken Apex Chamber, where the wedding would take place and the place where the castle tower collapsed, as well as the two leadings to the personal chambers of Doredan's family (including his brother, wed to be) and the Everarbor Queen's chambers with her contingent (including the bride to be). However, all around the hall is the massive, fleshy body of some sort of creature with waving tentacular arms and large, alien eyes, and obvious hostile intent. Around the chamber are several broken bodies wearing the uniform of the royal guard, their armor bloody. Several guards are arrayed around it, hedging the creature in with pikes, but hesitant to go forward against this staggeringly large and well muscled beast.

Spoiler: Perception DC 14 (Active Check, No Passive)
    Show
    You recognize the guard who led you here. Name is... Angus, you think. You recognize many of the troops in the hall. But you don't recognize any of the dead or wounded soldiers in the room.
    Spoiler: DC 17
    Show
    One of the soldiers with a pike dances his weapon forward, and the tip goes through the monster's tentacle as though it wasn't actually there, but no one around you notices.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    The blood from the wounded soldiers doesn't flow or drip. Just static puddles, not moving or shaking.

The Bride's Chambers

Hylusi comes down in a small open air garden right before the Everarbor procession's chambers. Riding her staff like the archetyple witches' broom, she lowers herself into into the main entrance and flies inside. There are courtiers, attendants, human servants, and political aspirants, but the ceilings are high and Hylusi can easily fly over the hubub. If inquired, the human's give nothing of use, only running to their assigned tasks and struggling to find guards. The first elf she meets, and cousin of the royal family come to attend the wedding, they are more useful. "The Princess is missing," Aluminzel, a lower cousin on the tree, sips calmly at wine before screwing up his face and spitting the human vintage out. "But there's no way she's in danger. She's the most powerful amongst us. Cuz will resolve this... indecency." A human might think him detached and calm, but the Magus can tell he is just soundly drunk. He tosses the glass aside into the chaos of the hall.

Spoiler: Insight DC 14
    Show
    All the elves are acting strangely. Passive. Lethargic. And all the humans are anxious, hurried, but quiet.

Spoiler: Nature DC 18
    Show
    There is a mushroom native to Everarbor that elves and humans have very different reactions to when it is burned. Elves are intoxicated much like alcohol, but humans have an almost manic reaction that leaves them somewhat stunned and silent. But both have a hellacious hangover coming their way in a few hours that is potent enough that abuse of the intoxicant is rare. And the spores are thick in the air.

If you proceed towards the Princess's chambers I will need a DC 13 Constitution Save

Apex Chapel, With Doredan and Kunnian

The top of the castle, seated at the apex of the small, stunted mountain that makes up the heart of the Kingdom. In lessons taught by his father and every father before them who ruled Wissimvale, Doredan has been told throughout his entire life that one day each member of his family would climb the stairs to the Apex Chapel and receive a partner, and together they would bring honor to the family name, influence to their cause, and secular power. While only Monsinar would inherit the throne, the younger princes were still expected to marry well. Doredan had been brought here for religious services to the mountain gods and his ancestors since he was old enough to cry. It was so odd to see it with the roof smashed off, open to the air and the elements. But this is what he saw as he approached on fey wings with a gnome in tow. But it is what he sees happening that demands his attention.

Monsinar is being dragged by three hooded figures towards a large bag, carried along like cargo. His jaw is slack, and it looks like he sleeps the rest of the well drugged, with eyes rolling and snores emanating. Their clothes are strange and armored, like harnesses and leather jackets stiffened with cloth and small plates. Their hoods cover most of their features, but they wear thick masks with dark goggles, carry blades, and seem intent on bagging Monsinar and carrying him off. His father lay unconscious on the ground, also in a state of stupor.

The armed figures turn to Doredan, and the tallest of the group motions to their companions, which continue their attempt to package the prince. The tall figure steps forward, draws a curved saber, and gestures for the prince and the gnome to come down with their free hand. They seem confident and armed, but not overtly hostile. Carrying several daggers on their hips, but they haven't thrown one. They seem intent on talking things out.

Spoiler: DC 16 Insight
    Show
    Tall one is buying time for their companions to wrap up the prince and escape with him through some unknown means. The kidnappers are moving quickly, and if you mean to rush to the Prince's side you will have to come into the reach of the taller figure. But they show no evidence of rushing to violence.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-02-15 at 10:43 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Maker Kunnian
    AC: 15 | HP: 20/38 + 11 temp | HIT DICE: 5d8+10
    Speed: 25ft | Initiative: +2
    Passive Perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 11
    Conditions: ---

It doesn't take long for Kunnian to connect the dots... that's Doredan's brother that they were trying to drag away! The prince had been so nice to her... So she wanted to help. She whispers to the prince: ''Their main objective seems to be kidnapping your brother and that big guy is trying to buy them some time. B-But I have a plan... I-I think! I can distract them while you rescue your brother. But you'll be on foot because I'll need to disperse your wings for my plan to work.''
    She waits expectantly for the prince's reply.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 25/33 +11
    PP: 9 PIv: 11 PIs: 9
    Conditions: Fly (Kunnian Concentration)
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Eyes locked onto his brother's prone from being dragged away, Doredan begins descending towards the ruined chapel. "Alright. I'll drop you off in cover," he whispers back to Kunnian. Swooping down, he deposits the gnome into cover - behind a pillar, a pew, or a piece of rubble. Whatever will allow her to plan and act unseen.

Then, he steps out and draws Fang. His teacher's dagger seeps shimmering purple poison from the hilt that drips down its blade. Rather than form droplets and drip down to the floor, the poison piles up as if inside of an invisible field, until it coats the entire blade like a bubble. "Unhand him!" Doredan shouts at the two dragging his brother towards the bag, while keeping the focus of his attention on the foe stepping up to challenge him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Set Kunnian down, draw and activate Fang, coating it in poison. Does the GM rule the dagger benefits from Poison Use's extra hit of an applied poison, or nay, for future reference?

6. - Top - End - #66

Flumph

Maker Kunnian
    AC: 15 | HP: 20/38 +11 | HIT DICE: 5d8+10

When the prince drops Kunnian, she whispers: ''When you hear music, close your eyes.'' She watches him get into position, drawing his magical dagger and drawing the three men's attention.

She grabs her bandore, waiting for the perfect moment to surprise the men with her song. As soon as the challenger steps into position, she starts:
    Her hands begin plucking the strings of her instrument, almost flying with perfect grace as she births the music coming up from her soul. The notes are emphatic, but gentle, bringing to the minds of those who hear it loving, tender memories: the caress of a mother or loved one as a child, a sunset, a moment of perfect blissful tranquility... Lights begin dancing around the men in the chapel, like an aurora borealis fluttering around them. Their pupils constrict and their minds become numb as they are consumed by overwhelmingly pleasant memories...

The wings of the prince disperse in a shower of gold and silver as the magic of the fly spell dissipates, adding to the ethereal beauty of the dancing colors.

Kunnian hopes will all her might that these men will be too weak-willed to break free from her spell...

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Hypnotic Pattern
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-02-17 at 11:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5
    AC: 17 HP: 44
    PP:10 PIv: 09 PIs: 10
    Lay on Hands: 25/25 Spell Slots: 4/2

Felicity's eyes widened in shock and her stomach turned over when she saw the horrid beast and all the brave, dead soldiers strewn about.

With eyes only for the monster, she set her pike in her grasp and charged the beast with her full speed and might, crying out "For the honour of Wissimvale!"

Whatever that thing was, it messed with the bull. So it had to get the horns.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Apex Chapel

The tall figure in the canvas and leather clothing with a face mask and goggles watches Doredan place the gnome on the ground, moving closer to the two of them with blade raised but a hand extended. Then Kunnian's magic causes a wonderous pattern to emit into the air. The two kidnappers who are handling the Prince both look dumfounded, locked in place and staring at the brilliant, shimmering light. The tall figure who moved up to meet you, however, does not fall victim to the mesmerizing imagery.

Speaking up, the figure says "I'm not going to say that I'm not here to cause trouble. The wreckage, the chaos, that's on me, ok? The red moon passing through your sky? Not me, believe it or not." The voice is smooth, soothing, and confident. Masculine, and when the figure moves it is easy to see that their form is defined, but not musclebound. "I'd prefer to leave this... quaint... kingdom in one piece. I need to borrow a Prince, and it seems you have extra. So why don't you put the blade down, put the illusion magic away, and we all go on with our days. If you refuse... well, I can be VERY persuasive when I need to be..."

The figure is interrupted by a voice from up above, a outburst from empty, naked air that seems to come from naked sky. "Captain! We've got to go! Thirty seconds to lift off! Get... what are those idiots doing, sleeping!" The figure identified as Captain shrugs, then gestures towards Kunnian and Doredan. "We have company. Show them we mean business." A few moments later, a green beam of light seems to shine out of empty sky. It moves in a beam, settling on the altar of the Apex Chapel. It lingers there for a moment before the altar shimmers, combusts, and melts into a molten slag of stone. The Captain gestures towards it. "Unless you want that to be you, don't stand it our way. Cut the magic, or I turn one or more Princes into cooked meat. Submit, and we all walk out of here alive. The choice is yours."

Show
    Captain rolled a 23 intimidation. I generally don't tell players how to roleplay, but respond appropriately.
    Spoiler: DC 14 Perception Check
    Show
    When the green beam shines, if one looks at the origin one can see the outline of a dim, hazy figure in the air, standing on an equally blurry platform suspended by barely visible ropes.
    Spoiler: Arcana DC 10
    Show
    An invisibility spell of this magnitude would require magic beyond most mortals. These abductors have some powerful magic helping them on this mission.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #69

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 25/33 +11
    Standing Reaction: Dodge Roll if critically hit or if hit while at 12 hit points or less (1/encounter)

Doredan's defiant stance loosens when he witnesses the arcane power of their... mage? Weapon? Something, in any case. It is all he can do to keep his knees from knocking as adrenaline pumps into his flight response, urging him to cut and run.

Trying not to look weak, Doredan lowers his dagger, but keeps it at his side. He holds up a hand to Kunnian. "Maker, lower the spell," he commands, managing to keep his voice from shaking and maintain his composure in the face of mortal fear. "I won't stand in your way, Captain... We must pick our battles."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Doredan fails his courage save and bows out, but he rolled well enough he doesn't crap out and run for it.

He watches them leave so that he might get some idea where they're going.

10. - Top - End - #70

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    AC: 18 HP: 23/33 THP:
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    "Felicity, Angus! Look again. We're being deceived. That soldier's pike passed through the monster. I believe it's an illusion."

With a leap, Bil springs forward from Felicity's back - into the path of the monster. He scoops a stone from the ground, and flings it forward at the "monster" intending to prove the lie of the illusion.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

None of the humans gave anything more than frightened denials of knowledge to Hylusi's impatient commands. When she encountered the milkblooded cousin, however, she found not annoyance but downright anger seething in her hand-crafted gut. The Magus' face molded itself into a disgusted scowl as she stared down at the drunken cousin. Sensing her wrath, the hands hidden under her robes began to stir and chirp, their grips shifting and loosening on her in preparation for swarming out.

<The Princess is the primary concern, Aluminzel!> her mental voice hissed with venom. <If she is missing, then search, you miserable sodden creature! Even the humans are doing more than you!>

With a toss of her head, she headed past the worthless worm towards the chambers. She did not expect to find the Princess there, since even Aluminzel was presumably not so worthless as to miss the Royal next door, so to speak. She remembered the bugs; the gorelings readied themselves for hotdropping into combat, which mostly involved flexing their grip and hanging on as loosely as they could without falling off.

As she approached each door, a flex of her magical might had a spectral hand, translucent as grey as the grave, shove them open so the Magus didn't even need to slow down.

<Deidrenei?> her mental voice buzzed, tuned only for the Princess.

Show

Since I was accidentally spoiled on mushroom fumes(?) just a reminder my necklace of adaption allows me to breath normally in any enviroment and grants advantage on saves vs harmful gases and vapours.

Reaction: shield if necessary.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The Atrium of the Castle

Between Bil's stone and Felicity's charge, it becomes evident that the giant tentacled creature isn't real. When both impact the beast it fades from view rapidly, leaving nothing but empty space in it's place. The wounded soldiers, as well, disappear, along with their pooled blood. The castle is left open to you, and soldiers begin fanning out through the castle, looking for the cause of all this trouble. The heroes of the moment are left free, with the sounds of ruckus coming from the Apex Chapel.

The Bride's Chamber

Whether through her unique biology or due to her magical protective item, Hylusi brushes past the drunk elf and the rushing humans, heading deeper into the royal family's chambers. There things quiet down, the crowds left outside, and she finds herself alone. The absence of the royal guard who had come all the way from Everarbor is concerning, but as she hustles through the halls she can see why- their response was to slam the chambers of the Queen and King shut and barricade them. However, it does not appear that any of the guards and Deidrenei's door managed to bar the door. They lay in twitching, mumbling piles on the floor, oblivious to the world, with thick smoke pouring out of her rooms like there is a small house fire inside. Hylusi ignores the intoxicant and moves inside.

The chambers have been ruined. Plant pots shattered on the ground, art torn down and tossed aside, and drawers opened and looted. As Hylusi enters the main chamber, where just this morning she met with the Princess, and there she finds two figures in leather and canvas clothing wearing masks and goggles. One of them is stumbling, leaning on the other heavily, while the other, a more muscular figure, almost carries them across the room towards the window. When they spot Hylusi, their reaction is a hair faster than hers, and before the Magus can sic her flock of hands upon them, they clamber through the window and leap. When the Magus looks out the window, she can see them both riding some sort of line, attached to a rope, upwards towards... something blurry hanging in the air? They are moving quite quickly, obviously aided by either magic or mechanics.

Spoiler: Investigation DC 16
    Show
    Nothing of value has been taken, even though there are gilded statues and valuable sculptures left behind. It looks more like someone made a mess for the sake of making a mess rather than looted this place for objects of value.

The Apex Chapel

When the magic fades and the two masked figures return from their stupor, one of them draws a blade and makes towards Kunnian, but the Captain slaps them with the side of their saber and shouts "The Prince! Get the Prince, you fool!" The underling nods, and quickly the two of them lower the bag over Monsinar's head and start hauling him towards the chapel. The Captain extends his blade again and begins to lead his flunkies in a small circle around Doredan. A rope gets tossed down from... seemingly nowhere, falling down between the abductors, who use mechanical clips to secure themselves to the rope. "Captain! The Princess isn't on board yet! Should we wait?"

The Captain tugs on the rope, which begins to raise into the air. As it does, a section of the invisibility spell coating the large ship that hovers above the chapel fails, and suddenly Kunnian and Doredan can see a sailing ship floating in the air above the castle. "We don't need her! We have him! Get out of here, NOW!" The rope zips upwards towards the deck of the ship, and the Captain turns and gives a small curt salute to Doredan with his blade. Once the Prince and the four sky pirates are aboard their ship, the entire boat begins to move at a swift pace away from the castle... and towards the red moon cruising through the sky. There are sailor's cries and a ringing bell, and they are away.

Besides Doredan, the altar of the chapel shimmers, turning back from a melted slag heap into the religious heart of the chapel, solid and waiting for the rituals of the ancestors and the mountain gods, apparently just fine. Doredan can almost hear the laughter of the rogue Captain as the ship makes it's escape and the illusion of the destroyed altar fades.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-02-20 at 08:07 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5
    AC: 14 HP: 24/33 +11

Doredan stands with his blade at his side, tense, as the Captain and the two lackeys pass him by. He doesn't take his eyes off of them until they fly away, and the illusion they cast fades. Boiling rage and indignation contort his face, and he slams his fist into a stone pillar, sending stinging pain up his arm and scraping open his knuckles. Hissing through his teeth, he grabs the hand and squeezes it until he gets a hold of himself.

Wearing a scowl, he takes a handkerchief and wraps it around the bloody knuckle. "They said that they did not get the Princess," he observes, once the pain clears away the rage clouding his mind. "Let us make certain that everyone else is alright," he takes off towards the stairs, back down into the castle, seeking something to take his mind off of the failure.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Punches a wall, dealing 1 punch damage to himself.

14. - Top - End - #74

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity did not like being tricked. And she did not like being delayed. Especially when the safety of the royal family was stake. So when Bil showed her that the room of enemies was a trick, her face clouded with rage and a very non-whimsical growl emerged from her throat.

She clooped up to Bil and bowed to him. "Thank you for realizing they were a trick. I'm honoured to have you as my companion. One more ride? To the tower?"

And (assuming he agrees) she sped up the stairs toward Apex Tower as fas as she was able.

15. - Top - End - #75

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil gives a bucktoothed grin of delight as the illusion fades. That would set a few of the guards talking about his quick wits and bravery... assuming they survived.

He turns his pride into a theatrical, self-aware bow to Felicity when she offers another ride. "No, milady, our enemies are about and seem to wield powerful magics. We will serve each other better with a bit more space and flexibility.

Bil spins towards the guardsman. "Angus, I present to you Lady Felicity, a knight of noble bearing come to serve the crown in our hour of need. Soldiers of Wissimvale, to me! Prince Doredan has flown ahead of us on the wings of magic to the Apex Chapel and surely needs our strength of arms! Glorious Damh has given us a moment against which to test our mettle!"

With a grin to Felicity, he joins her in bounding up the stairs, trusting that the soldiers would fall in behind them.

16. - Top - End - #76

Flumph

Maker Kunnian

Kunnian watches the Prince bloody his knuckles and feels a strange knot in her stomach. She felt so... powerless over what had just happened - a feeling she was not used to. In fact, she had always been gifted and most things had come naturally to her.
    Although her training in the Feywild had been grueling, more often than not the challenges presented to her could be overcome. She felt her legs buckle, but she kept her bearing. This was not what she had expected when she left Wyrdtown!
    She thought of asking the Prince if he needed healing for his hand, but decided to keep quiet instead. She remembered being told once that a lesser pain could sometimes help mitigate a greater one. At the time she had scoffed at such a statement, commenting that no pain at all was surely better than any pain, however small. Life had a strange way of teaching you a lesson sometimes.
    When the prince finally spoke, breaking her train of thought, she simply nodded and followed the Prince to the aid of the others.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-02-22 at 03:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

When Hylusi slammed into the room and saw the escaping figures, the white dots of her pupils flickered back and forth, taking in the room. The pleasantly orderly design had been spoiled with reckless abandon, and her nose crinkled in disgust at the pointless mess. A part of her noted that the valueables were still here. Deliberate deception - targeted - something to think on.

She did not bother with threats or insults. She ran through her mental list of spells - no, none use, and instead pulled on the magic sunk into the vaguely-skull-shaped emblazoning on her hat. A bead of heat built up at one of her fingertips and with a crack! a burst of eerie white flame launched to splash against the rope and mechanism conveying the escapees to safety.

With a scowl, Hylusi hurtled forth on her staff. If the rope had snapped and it looked like a lethal fall distance, she would cast featherfall on the staggering escapee - but if the rope hadn't snapped or it was only a short drop, she would release the gorelings to drag down her opponents and incapacitate them.

Show

Move forward towards them.
    Action: Using the Hat of Wizardry's 1/LR feature to cast Firebolt on the mechanism/rope, 20 to hit, 12 fire damage on a hit.
    Ba: release the gorelings if necessary; I'll roll for them if needed.

Reaction: if necessary, cast featherfall on self/one of the enemies so they don't fall and splatter.
    Otherwise, cast shield to stop me being hit by an attack.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Apex Chapel

Angus nods enthusiastically along with Bil's rousing speech, gathering a squad of soldiers together and rallying after Felicity and the harrengon as they charge up the stairs towards the chapel. However, it isn't long before they are met by Prince Doredan and Maker Kunnian on their way down, with the unconscious king slumped over his son's shoulder. Angus squeezes through the tight stairwell and asks "Lord! M'lord! King! Prince! What has happened?"

Outside the Princess' Window

The Magus' firebolt hits the mechanism that is pulling the two pirates up the line, and while it does not snap the rope, it does damage the ascender device so that it is not actively speeding them both up the rope. When the payload of swarming gorelings falls down upon the fleeing kidnappers, most of the undead are scattered over the mountainside, falling down for nearly a hundred feet before cracking upon the stones of the mountain. However, dozens of appendages tug and pull and yank at the pirates, managing to distract both of them enough that climbing the rope is impossible. The extra weight on the already frayed rope causes itto snap, and both pirates and the clump of hands fall out of sight. Hylusi's spell wraps the groggy one in a protective cushion of air, leaving her companion to be dashed across the mountainside.

With a familiar intonation of elvish words, the groggy pirate rises into the air. Staring at the Magus for a moment, one of the stray gorelings that has managed to hold on through the chaos yanks hard on the offender's mask, which comes off and is quickly taken by the wind. Flying before the Magus is her mentor, her master, and her friend, Princess Deidreinei. She looks muddled and it appears hard for her to focus, but her eyes are locked on Hylusi. Most would say that the Princess' face was a emotionless mask, but her constant companion knew better- the Princess was feeling more emotions than most commoners would experience in their entire lives.

"Hylusi... I don't have time to explain. Where I am going... you cannot join me. Yet. I must learn what we are dealing with, gain mastery over it, and then I WILL need your assistance. But for now... they will not let you come with me. They barely trust me, there's no way I can bring an ally. Follow us. We are leaving this planar backwater for the full expanse of the multiverse! True freedom, unlimited power, and worlds without number... no more knowing what each moment, each day, each year, each CENTURY will bring! Follow me, and when the time comes, we will turn the tables on the powers I work with and you and I will end up on top! I can't do this without you, but for now... I cannot bring you with me. Use the coin, follow the Path, and together... NOTHING will stop us, Hylusi!" Looking back towards the highest part of the mountain, a large sailing ship blips into existence and begins pulling away from the castle and the mountain. The Princess' eyes turn to it, then back to the Magus. There is a moment of uncertainty and pain, and then the Princess spreads her arms and begins to fly towards the soaring ship as it moves to catch up with the red, scarred moon that is ambling across the sky.

Show
    If Dedrenei is not stopped or interrupted she will fly/run action to catch up with the boat.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Spell Slots- 2/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 1/2 3rd
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

Most of the gorelings simply fell like awful rain to shatter on the stones far below, but Hylusi paid no heed to their destruction. Enough managed the rope snapped, and with contemptuous ease Hylusi bent her will to ensuring one of the raiders survived.

And then the raider rose, under their own magic, and-

Hylusi stopped. She stared into the frantic eyes of her lady, her face revealed. Behind the outpouring of emotions, it seemed like her - and with the innate elvish resistance to charms, it was almost certain the Princess was doing this by choice. One of her hands rose as if to grasp at the Princess.

Hylusi was no stranger to mania. It was only the rejecting of her fate and reason that she had made the very flesh she now wore.

She had so many questions - but there wasn't time. Trust her - or fight to bring her back? Deidreinei was powerful. Even in her state, Hylusi wasn't sure she could even if she wanted to forcefully bring back her liege.

So all that left was trust. She balled her hand into a fist.

<Deidreinei-> she began, then cut herself off. She smiled grimly. <Very well! I'll seek you out. Skies watch you kindly, Princess, until we can claim all that lies beneath them! Stay alive! And trust none!>

She watched the Princess go, motionless in the air on her staff. Only once the other elf was gone did she force herself into motion.

With a sort of creeping calm, she flew down to the corpse of the raider who had been dashed across the stones, and yanked off his mask. A click of her fingers slicked the blood off, and she shoved it in her sash for later inspection. She searched him for anything useful - perhaps he had the coin the Princess spoke of? - or incriminating, before heaving his corpse rather awkwardly over her staff. With two arms balancing him over the staff, she flew back up to the Princess' chamber and dumped him out upon the floor.

She breathed in, slowly.

And then she howled. It was a horrible, gurgling, inhuman thing, from a throat too flawed to make the sounds of speech. She snatched up a jar - a Tannali piece, elegant and rare, cracked already from the uprooting the room had taken - and hurled it across the chamber to crash in pieces against the wall. She picked up a ivory statuette and snapped it over the side of antique dresser. She delivered a vicious-if-clumsy kick to the slightly mushy side of the corpse, once, twice, thrice, then hissed at the pain in her toes.

Everything had changed, twisted, without warning or sign. Her careful plans of study and growth, destroyed. Her greatest ally was now gone, on what was seemingly a plan Hylusi had not been part of nor even told about. As her Magus, it would not be impossible even for blame to be twisted towards her, whether it was her fault or not. Maybe not at first, but the Quaternaros line was not loved on all fronts. The only difference between an elvish court and a pit of vipers was number of scales.

She huffed for breath, her wrath cooling.

Think it through.

All was not lost. Dei had said she expected Hylusi to follow her, and she would. The 'coin'. This could - must- be an oppotunity.

Hylusi had already overcome death! She had already defied fate itself! She would not be dragged down by - this!

Taking a moment longer to recollect herself, she stalked towards the doorway. She would find out the state of the rest of the castle. See if they had recovered the 'coin' spoken of.

Show

nil

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

As he carries his father down the stairs with considerable difficulty, Doredan's expression is uncharacteristically grim and dour. As soon as their reinforcements appear, he ushers a guard to help him with the man, and catches his breath. "Prince Monsinar has been abducted," he reports. "The bastards fled in some sort of flying ship."

"They said they'd not captured the Princess yet," he says, with some hope still in his voice. "Have any of you seen where she and my mother are?"

21. - Top - End - #81

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD

"My prince, we came straight here when we hear the commotion.
    Bil presses himself forward while also punctuating each sentence with a fresh bow.
    But when we separated after the battle in the marketplace, the magus said she was headed to the princess' chamber on her broom. If she hasn't joined us yet, then it seems likely that she may have encountered enemies there. Bil's ears twitch with anticipation, ready to follow the prince in a charge across the castle.

22. - Top - End - #82

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity was also not a big fan of making a super-dramatic charge only to find out that she had to stop, turn around, and somehow make another super draamtic charge in the other direction.

But it's for the Prince. And for his father the King(!). So she hid her frustration beneath some suitably grim
    determination, and readied herself to start moving toward the Princess's bedchamber!

I swear I'm going to stab something today, she thought to herself.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: [DnD 5e] Playthings in an Interplanar Dollhouse- A Path of the Planebreaker Adven

The Mountainside

While her servitors descend the mountain on the thin goat paths to clean up and prepare the gorelings for reinvigoration, the Magus descends on her staff and begins the process of searching the dead. It seems the pirate travelled light. Upon removing the canvas mask from the corpse, she finds that the planar pirate is of human origin. Male, with curious tattoos running up the left arm and onto the neck. His head is shaved bald and he has a prodigious moustache with two small gold rings hanging from the corners. In his pockets you find a small handful of coins, several precious stones, and a hefty bronze medallion on a string around his neck that appears to be made of geometric lines meeting a moon-shaped crescent of dull, white gem.

Show
    4 Gold, 12 Silver, and 23 copper for your troubles. Four small gemstones worth 15 gp apiece to the right buyer. And a strange medallion/coin that the Magus isn't sure about. Oh, and the mask is non-magical.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 13
    Show
    The medallion vibrates slightly as you run your thumb across it, indicating some hint of magic.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 16
    Show
    Holding the medallion up on it's ribbonlike cord allows it to swing free. When the Magus does this, the medallion swerves slightly towards the rogue crimson moon passing through her world's sky like a behemoth creature, similar to how a lodestone or compass turns towards a source of iron.

The Princess' Quarters

The party follows the sound of spellcasting and violence towards the Princess' chambers. A thick, smoky air remains, but the worst of the spores have dissipated, leaving a wing full of moaning people holding their heads as the aftereffects of the aggravating mushroom take hold. Any attempts to gather information are met with vague pointing in the direction of the royal family's suites.

Following the directions, the party finds themselves meeting Hylusi in the hall outside the ransacked Princess' chamber just as the larger doors down the hallway burst open. A flurry of elvish guards stream out, fanning down the hallway and "encouraging" all they find to hold their position. After a few moments of hubbub an elegantly dressed woman who appears to be in her mid thirties leaves the royal suite, who Doredan (and surely some of the others assembled) know to be the Queen of Everarbor, Felisenai Varn'allow. She moves with supreme control, her dress shimmering with a combination of fresh water pearls and silver leaves. "What is the meaning of this commotion? What has happened?" Her voice is calm and cold, but carries an authority of command and an underlying tone of suppressed outrage.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2023-02-28 at 12:39 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Hylusi had, with mild distaste, used mage hand to retrieve the coins and with somewhat less distaste the gems. Well, she was already looting a corpse - she would need liquid assets for the journey ahead, no doubt, so with gritted teeth she retrieved the gold mustache rings, too.

The medallion she inspected carefully, seeing how it inclined towards the bloody scar across the sky.

Interesting indeed.

The Princess' Quarters

Hylusi had not time to exchange more than a glance with the rest of the party when the Queen's protectors finally made their move. At the outpouring of guards, Hylusi had to hold back a sneer. Now the danger was past, they emerged? Each was a failure to their duty to the Princess... even if that Princess had gone against them, perhaps.

As the elvish queen swept out, Hylusi promptly dropped to one knee, her head inclined. She held forth one hand before her, the weighty amulet heavy and bright against her slender grey fingers.

<Your Majesty,>
    Hylusi broadcast. She kept this open to everyone nearby. <It seems the castle was attacked by an interplanar force. I have slain one of the intruders since my return to the castle, but...> she paused, weighing her next 'words'. <The Princess is not present. I believe she has been taken with the attackers as they departed. >

She cast a glance sideways at the others. The human princeling, the gnome, the rabbit, and the horse - a menagerie indeed. She waited to see how they had fared in their own little quest.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlueKnightGuy

Prince Doredan
    Human Martial Bard 5

Once they arrive outside the Princess' guest room, Doredan lowers his father into one of the lounge couches, the weight growing rather taxing. Despite what he'd heard from the abductors, the elvish delegation's quarters look ransacked, and he can see past an emerging Hylusi no accompanying princess. A pit of despair sinks into the pit of his stomach.

Standing from his father's side, he turns to face the entering elvish Queen. Just the sort of political maneuvering he'd never wanted upon his shoulders... "Queen Varn'allow," he greets the foreign royal with a bow of the head rather than a knee, as befitting her status as a reigning monarch, while he only a prince. Doredan does his best to keep the exhaustion and stress from creeping into his voice, but it inevitably carries an edge of frustration. "It is good to see that your Majesty is safe. My brother the Prince was abducted by raiders, taking advantage of the..." he pauses, looking towards the windows - incredulously, still. "The red moon."

Lowering his head in shame, Doredan admits, "I was unable to rescue my brother, fooled by their illusionist. They were shouting to one another. They claimed that the Princess was not yet on board, and that they would need to take flight soon-" he looks hopefully to Hylusi. "Magus, were you able to reach the Princess in time?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2023-03-02 at 12:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Felicity Fourhooves
    Centaur Paladin 5

Felicity was doing okay until they walked into a room and THE QUEEN Was there. The Queen! She was starstruck and tried to hide with the depth and grace of her bow.

(which was indeed deep, but not overly graceful)

She looked back and forth as the others talked. She didn't have anything to add except the bit where she was fooled by the illusions and was no help at all protecting anyone.

So she decided maybe discretion was the better part of valor.

27. - Top - End - #87

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Bil's nose twitches in anxiety in the presence of the elven queen. Could an introduction be arranged? Surely, the demands of protocol are superseded by the urgency of the situation - and yet, it is the prince and the magus who have encountered the enemy. He has no information to share that is not trumped and overshadowed by their experience, and to speak would be to invite disdain, perhaps even ridicule or rebuke.

Silently, he stands ready.

"Damh forbid," he offers, sotto voce, when Hylusi shares her suspicious about the princess' abduction.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Magework Necromancer
    Conditions:
    5/5 d6 HD
    Arcane recovery 1/1
    Fingerbone staff 10/10

In a moment of irritation, Hylusi shot the prince a look only just shy of withering from where she knelt to the queen before she turned her face back away.
    "<Do you see the Princess here, hu- Highness?>" her mind-voice hissed to him.

Show

nul

29. - Top - End - #89

Flumph

Maker Kunnian

Kunnian was starting to feel a little better surrounded by obviously powerful allies and she was following the conversations with interest. She did feel a little bit weird when a strange voice rang inside of her mind though.
    Was it coming from that creepy lady over there? She thought to herself.
    Then, she caught that same creepy lady shooting an evil stare at the prince and everyone stood in silence for an awkward moment.
    So she broke the silence: ''Well. What now?''
    She felt stupid as soon as the words crossed her lips and her cheeks immediately turned red.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2023-03-03 at 07:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

Bil
    Twilight Cleric of Damh
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 5 d8 HD
    Sensing Kunnian’s embarrassment, Bil steps to her side, looking to smooth the moment over.
    ”Great Damh, in his wisdom, has offered us a moment of decision. The celebration we came for is not to be. But the festivities will be even more joyous if we overcome these challenges and rescue the prince and princess.
    It may be that we stand at the pivot point of our destiny. I don’t believe we are here by chance. Your Highnesses, I offer my strength and my faith in your service.”