New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wells of Darkness

I think my 10ft is incorrect, but it is stated that it ends...

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    You stop a couple of feet outside of the AMZ, so yes, you can still use your powers. But Sam's Truestrike spell would fail once she goes into the AMZ field. I will allow you to rejig your last post if you want to take that into consideration and change your actions, Sam.

And you could jump, but I warn you that if you fail your check, you will be considered prone and flat footed as you would land in the branches of the trees and be all over the place.
    So, assuming Ixen’Hesjing relays that info (and thats a safe assumptiong), the rest of us know where it ends.

So lets just give em a favor, and move forward....I dunno, try singing to them
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

well if you guys do nothing say in the next 36 or so hours I am just going to jump and hope to avoid that tree

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    I think my 10ft is incorrect, but it is stated that it ends...
    My understanding was that the very top portion of the pit is outside the AMZ, as you descend into the pit everything below "the line" was blanketed in an AMZ. If you're using an AMZ to keep a powerful demon lord in check that's the only thing that makes sense to me. Could use some clarification from P26 though it looks like.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Don’t mind me, I’m just offering them booze. I dont want to deal with the AMZ for as long as I can.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry for the late response. I meant to reply yesterday, but forgot and went to bed early.

If you jump into the trees, you will get tangled in them, which will make you count as prone and flatfooted. The AMZ field is larger than ten feet. It will cover the whole of the well, to prevent escape. You wouldn't necessarily know that IC, but your characters are fairly intelligent, and would figure that out as at least a strong possibility. So you can use that information OOC to come up with a plan.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sorry for the late response. I meant to reply yesterday, but forgot and went to bed early.

If you jump into the trees, you will get tangled in them, which will make you count as prone and flatfooted. The AMZ field is larger than ten feet. It will cover the whole of the well, to prevent escape. You wouldn't necessarily know that IC, but your characters are fairly intelligent, and would figure that out as at least a strong possibility. So you can use that information OOC to come up with a plan.
    what check if any to find or see a spot that might not get entangled into the tree ?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

So I was right about fighting in an AMF down there. The Girallons will have a serious advantage, and I'm flat out worthless. I'd suggest a diplomatic approach.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    what check if any to find or see a spot that might not get entangled into the tree ?
    Sorry for the late reply. An Acrobatics check will let you know where you can safely land among the tree branches.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Acrobatics (1d20+33)[52]

* I think this has taken far to long - Reiza - is jumping
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-26 at 06:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by Starmage21 View Post
    So I was right about fighting in an AMF down there. The Girallons will have a serious advantage, and I'm flat out worthless. I'd suggest a diplomatic approach.
    P26 selecting 3 characters completely reliant on magic knowing the first big encounter will feature an AMZ.

A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Right? I’m about to jump
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp guess I’ll chuck some alchemical items at them in the near future.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sorry, that was unintentional. I added the AMZ because you guys blow through encounters too easily when fully charged up with magic, so I figured I would make things a bit more of a challenge. If it makes you feel any better, the gorallons are only CR 14.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warlawk View Post
    P26 selecting 3 characters completely reliant on magic knowing the first big encounter will feature an AMZ.

I'm DEFINITELY not complaining. To me its a hurdle to be overcome and its not always gonna be all about me. We're a team, and this is gonna be all about the fighters if the diplomatic approach doesnt work.

15. - Top - End - #195

Sorry, that was unintentional. I added the AMZ because you guys blow through encounters too easily when fully charged up with magic, so I figured I would make things a bit more of a challenge. If it makes you feel any better, the gorallons are only CR 14.
    Sorry I wasn't more clear, that was absolutely posted with a smile. Adversity and challenge are what adventuring is all about. All good!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That is a relief.

Can I please get acrobatics checks from everyone who tries to get through the branches, to see if you can drop straight through or if you get caught in the branches.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)[19] for branch checking
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #198

Just as a heads up, we are edging into the final days before moving. Will be picking up the u-haul on Sunday and moving through the first few days of the week. Outside of the actual moving days (31st and 1st) I should have some times when I'm taking breaks and sitting at the PC to keep up with posts, but if you need to have Rysn act to keep things moving do not hesitate to do so!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I had a busy day yesterday too, and wasn't able to get online as expected. Don't worry too much. I am sure not much will be taking place in the next day or two. You can roll initiative for me though, if you want to take part in the fight I am sure isn't going to be avoided at this stage.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh hey I’ll throw them bones just in case: (1d20+6)[15]
    New job, who dis?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative WITHOUT MAGIC (1d20+9)[11]

The AMF is gone once we hit the floor right?

22. - Top - End - #202

Initiative: [roll]1d20+27[/roll]
    Currently I am above the AMZ, if I need to enter it -16 Initiative.
    Last edited by Warlawk; 2023-07-31 at 10:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

Messed up my formatting I think.
    Initiative: (1d20+27)[43]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Initiative (1d20+13)[29]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, the AMF is gone at ground level, but you can't just drop through the branches without falling prone, caught up in them. You need to succeed at an acrobatics check to fall through successfully.

Everyone can act first, before the gorallons.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you saying the branches will catch us or they are just what causes the need for the roll to avoid being prone?

Do we roll our own fall damage or do you do that?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Yes, the AMF is gone at ground level, but you can't just drop through the branches without falling prone, caught up in them. You need to succeed at an acrobatics check to fall through successfully.

Everyone can act first, before the gorallons.
    just for the sake of question the Demonic Retriever, is it part of this combat, as I have made it my studied/challenge
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-08-03 at 08:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolled my own fall damage for expediency.

29. - Top - End - #209

There was an issue with our internet install and it had to be rescheduled to tomorrow 8/4 so do not wait on me to move the action along, I'm far to old, blind and lazy to try an IC post from mobile. If the fight goes to the ground Rysn will drop down through the branches to join the party.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starmage21 View Post
    Are you saying the branches will catch us or they are just what causes the need for the roll to avoid being prone?

Do we roll our own fall damage or do you do that?
    Both. If you fail the acrobatics check you will get caught up in the branches and be considered prone and flat footed.
    You can roll your own damage if you like.

EDIT: Never mind. We will go with how you did it, and just have the branches cause fall damage and let you hit the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    just for the sake of question the Demonic Retriever, is it part of this combat, as I have made it my studied/challenge
    It will be part of the battle. It just doesn't act until you show hostile intent.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-08-05 at 01:50 AM.