New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Wells of Darkness IC

Here is the IC thread for my Wells of Darkness game. Below are the links to the recruitment and OOC threads, as per forum rules.

Recruitment: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...der-1e-gestalt

OOC: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...4#post25700314

Next post will be the game start post. Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your patience.

Re-recruitment thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ls-of-Darkness

Second re-recruitment thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...re-recruitment
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-11-23 at 02:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Wells of Darkness IC

You have been summoned. You arrive in the Abyss through varying means, some of you together, others apart. You have been called to the first layer of the Abyss, often known as the Plane of Infinite Portals, but to the initiated it is known as Pazunia.

You have been called there by an agent of a being of power, though you do not know who the agent serves, nor what the being might want. You find the cave that you were directed to locate with the aid of a small stone which heats up when it it taken in the direction it is intended to travel. Now you stand outside the cave, uncertain and uneasy. You wonder if it is safe to go blindly into a place within the Abyss. You may take some confort in the fact that there are no guards outside. However, it is also possible that the lack of guards indicates just how powerful the being inside might be.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Looking side to side at her companions, and the way ahead, before moving on.
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Like a dazzling sun, Ixen'Hesjing gazes upon this new land he finds himself in. While he's the same size as a bronze wyrmling (and could be confused for one) he is most definitely not one. From the gold and silver bangles upon his wrists and ankles, to the bronze crown that flickers like flames, to the jewel encrusted cloak that is lazily draped across his left pauldron, shaped like a clenched fist and made of bronze. He mutters to himself in draconic "I'm too sober for this..."

He drops his cauldron that was on his back, gets the sack that was in it out, and pours himself a gallon of fresh sake into the now empty cauldron. He dips a couple cups into it and downs them like they're water. Finally he lets out a satisfied sigh and says in common to the others with him "Hello friends! Take a drink if you want, a gallon is a bit much for just one!" As he waits for anyone else to take a drink he checks that a vial of shimmering orange liquid is done brewing and finally gets out a paint brush to finish connecting the tattoos that pulse just underneath the hoard he wears, his scales hardening and his wings looking just a little more appropriate for flight.

Spoiler: Preparations for dealing with this place
    Show
    In no particular order:
    Move Action: Double Chug, drinking both drinks. This'll get me to Tipsy from Stupor Monk. (It'll also get me within range of ascending if I need to)
    Move Action: Armored Mage Aegis / Angelic Form, lasting a grand total of 15 hours.
    Skilled Casting Drawback: (1d20+32)[33] vs DC 30.

Finish Mutagen: It'll grant a +8 Con, +6 Strength, +4 Dexterity, and +6 Natural Armor when I drink it closer to stuff happening. For the heck of it, I'll use Gene-Splicing to add on Cosmic Body's Spirit Reach.

70ft of Bright Light from Goldhoard Vestments, lol. Another 90ft of Dim Light, just for the heck of it I guess.

Even if the light doesn't change, everyone within 20ft gains a +1 Morale Bonus to Saves (Icon Tattoo) and Suppresses Fear, Confusion, and Rage conditions (Serene Tattoo).
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xiuying rifles through her pack, procures a notebook and pen, and checks to make sure the stone wall is safe to lean against before doing so. Idly casting preparatory spells (Heightened Awareness, See Invisibility, and Moment of Prescience) on herself as she writes, she notes the date, sketches a very rough recreation of the yawning opening, pauses to think, and finally jots down "Technically a portal?" before closing the journal and returning it to her pack. Turning to each of her companions, she gives a curt bow in the middle of checking that all her gear is properly secured, ending with Ixen'Hesjing and remarking softly, "Thank you for the offer, but at least for the moment I'd prefer to remain clearheaded." She directs her attention more generally to the group, "For any matter I can assist with, please don't hesitate to ask." Readying her scythe, she waits to follow up the rear of the group.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Well I can tell you all, we are now in the Plane of Infinite Portals, we can expect demons, vrocks, pazuzu, and the odd few other travellers that may be here. . . .Use caution
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-07-01 at 04:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You enter the cave. It descends sharply into the ground, then flattens out after about fifty yards. You immediately see a pair of what appears to be winged women standing guard. They look out of place in this literal hellhole. They look like they belong in a sultan's harem. Their beauty and wings immediately mark them as succubi. The one on the left hand side spots you, and gestures to come forward. "The Mistress awaits your coming. Enter now, and you will learn why you were summoned here," she says.

As you pass between the two succubi, you enter a small chamber. A woman sits on a stone outcrop within. Her looks make the succubi look plain. She seems to sense you as much as see you, as she is watching the entry the moment you enter. "Greetings, mortals. I thank you for coming to meet with me in this...unusual...time and place. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi. I am sure you have heard of me," she says, her voice a musical melody.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen’Hesjing shrugged his shoulders in a passing imitation of a bipedal creature before casually grabbing the cauldron in his front paws, wearing his miscellaneous items in an impromptu saddle bag, and flying above the group at a carefree distance. He was quick enough to easily catch up to them if danger decided to approach the four of them. When they got to the cave and Reiza mentioned where they were at he grumbled ”Can never go to some nice place these days.”

He swoops into the cave, maintaining a comfortable position near the back, and lands after the hundred and fifty feet. He takes a look back, makes a mental note how long it’d take him to fly back to the surface, and finally notices the succubi. He then looks down and frowns at the liquid in his cauldron, saying apologetically ”I think the sake’s no good any more anyway” to no one in particular. He hums and ultimately dumps out the liquid so he can shove his bags back into it and not have his paws occupied.

He nods his head to the succubi in acknowledgment and then saunters his way past them. They’re beautiful, sure, and this cave is spacious enough for a good sized hoard but this isn’t some nice seaside cliff. He pauses and bows once more to the person who apparently called them here, failing to recognize anything beyond the word “queen”. Then he patiently waits the more sociable members to speak, existing peacefully behind the chosen spokesperson.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi. What have you summoned us here for?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xiuying follows the group quietly. Upon being greeted with politeness rather than combat, she pauses for a moment before stowing her weapon and giving a curt bow to each of the guards at the door. Entering, she stays near the exit but remains focused on the demon-queen, considering whether it would be impolite to take notes. Opting for caution over knowledge, she resigns herself to commit the conversation and details of Malcanthet to memory, for later recording.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I need you to carry out a task for me. Demons are either too weak to do it, compared to you, or else they either are too ambitious or too recognisable. Mortal adventurers are more nondescript, though you will stand out more than demons will in this land. Still, there are enough mortals here to fight in the Blood War, or for their own dark purposes, that you should mostly be able to travel undisturbed," she replies.

"I am allied with Demogorgon's two heads. I assume you know that they are at perpetual war with each other. Though it is possible that such news has not made it to the material plane. Anyway, I need you to travel to the town of Broken Reach. I then need you to consult with a being named Red Shroud. They will be able to give you directions to the Wells of Darkness, where I need you to rescue someone."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Whom are we to rescue and describe them fully if you can. and what do we get when this is completed ?
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-02-27 at 06:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"You are in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae. She is a former consort of Demogorgon, much like myself. She is hard to miss. By mortal standards her beauty will shine like a gold piece in muck. She has been imprisoned, and you will need to speak to Red Shroud to find out how to get to her. As for what you get out of this, anything you like. Within reason. What would be your price?" she asks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen'hesjing takes a gander over at Xiuying and figures she can handle notes for what they have to do before turning his head back to the former (former?) consort of Demogorgon. While all this talk of extra planar affairs goes over his head he remains silent for the majority of the conversation. The discussion of desires and rewards stops him from day dreaming and he hums in thought for a minute before throwing in his two copper with a "Gold's always nice. I should get a nice hoard physically set up now that the Vestment is sufficiently fed. Probably. Maybe a demiplane even." He then goes back to relaxing, figuring Reiza probably knows where to go when the conversation dries up.
    New job, who dis?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

speaking softer directly to Ixen, problem with demons and devils alike, they do not always keep their word, and sometimes will twist what ever to their benefit , so asking for gold is ok and probably safe you failed to specify an amount.

then after some thought on the matter

Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, I ask that when this task is completed that I, and my associate's here be indefinitely released from any current and future service to any demon or devil, In addition to anything we find along the way and returned to the material plane to live out our days as we see fit
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-03-01 at 01:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malcanthet doesn't even pause to consider these requests. "I cannot free you from any deal done with a devil, but you will not owe me any debt, and I will do everything in my power to free you from any deal you do with a demon. You will of course be free to keep whatever you find along the way during this task. And I will top this off with a hundred thousand golden crowns to each of you after the task is completed. Does that cover your requirements?" she asks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xiuying steps forward to stand alongside her companions, and glances between them and Malcanthet. "This all seems agreeable to me, your majesty. Would we be permitted to contact you during this excursion, and if so, is there any means you could provide to that end? To better serve your request in the case of unexpected developments that may require your input, as the hiring party."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I fear I cannot make contact with you during your task. I am playing a dangerous game already, and if I am uncovered it will go badly for me. That is why we meet here in a cave on Pazunia, not in my castle. I can answer some questions now, though likely not all. You will have to show initiative during your task. I can tell you what you seek, but not exactly how. Red Shroud will be able to tell you more, but even then, I am not certain how much they know. You may have to uncover some things for yourself, things even I do not know that I do not know," she says.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

With a shrug of his hips, Ixen’Hesjing hums in thought for a second before saying ”It feels like I’m forgetting something but also that there’s a certain amount of information we can’t really ask about.” And then, almost as an afterthought he adds ”Why exactly is this Shami-Amourae imprisoned? How is it that this Red Shroud knows more? Why is a former cohort helping a former cohort? What is a succubi’s favorite drink?”

He then chuckles at the joke he apparently made. Turning to his companions he says ”Ah, about time we do some sleuthing as I’ve heard others say. Maybe figure out a good set of questions for this Red Shroud, maybe enjoy a good drink with some locals at this Broken Reach, maybe attract too much attention.”
    New job, who dis?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Seems we need to travel to Broken Reach for certain

Once the meeting has finished, and everyone is out, shortly after beginning the journey, Keep you guards up trust nothing and no-one in this plane.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malcanthet nods her appreciation of the good questions. "Shami-Amourae is imprisoned because she failed to please Demogorgon, trying to turn the two heads against one another. They do communicate sometimes, and worked out what she was doing, and so she was sent down for her daring. Red Shroud is a demon lord in their own right, and have access to information even I do not always have. As for why a cohort is helping a cohort, that is a wise question. The answer is that I seek to get back into Demogorgon's good books, and having a former cohort owe me a favour will help with that. Favours are a valuable resource, and as she knows Demogorgon as well as I do, if not better, then she may prove useful," she says. As a throwaway afterthought, she adds, "And a succubi's favourite drink is whatever her mark is drinking, or buys for her."

As far as you can tell, she is being honest with you, though the bit about simply seeking a favour from Shami-Amourae sounds, one the face of it, to be at least a little questionable. But every sense and ability you have says that she is telling the truth.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xiuying considers the answers the queen has given, before slowly nodding. She bows deeply to the succubus, and straightens to speak to her, and then her companions, "Thank you for all the answers you've given us. I agree to this task and will see it out to the best of my abilities, with the aid of my fellows. Reiza, Ixen, I unfortunately haven't prepared any transportation spells today. Would you rather we start the trek on foot, or take some time to convene and plan ahead? My magic is at your service, as always."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

we should probably be on our way.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

With a friendly smile and a shrug of his shoulders Ixen’Hesjing says ”I’m fine with whatever. If we’re on the right plane or however this place works then I could probably just carry everyone.” He seems to ponder this for a moment before nodding and adding ”Yeah, that sounds doable. I should head out of this cave first, being huge in here would be a pain.”
    New job, who dis?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malcanthet nods her approval. "It is on this layer of the plane, so you either you can travel by magic, or else you can try to walk there. It may be dangerous travelling by foot in the Abyss, though," she observes.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Xiuying
    maybe we can travel by magic but who is to say it would be accurate, unless you have the ability to make it accurate?
    if so maybe we can get lodging here first before we leave

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

An old man approaches out of the darkness, easily visible in a fine white robe, though more striking is the paleness of his skin, which somehow seems as if it might be even more pale than the robe. Moving with a grace that belies his apparent age, he approaches the group while casting an appraising eye over everyone there. Ulbar gives a nod to the group. "I apologize for my tardiness, since it appears I am not the only one summoned and it is clear you are already preparing to leave. If I may ask, then, what is the purpose for which I was brought here?"

Spoiler: Background actions
    Show
    Edit: forgot to add in a few background actions: Ulbar will have precast on the way there Extended Mind Blank and Extended One with the Cosmos.
    Last edited by QuantumFlash; 2023-03-19 at 02:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Speaking to Ubar
    Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, wants us to travel this plane in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae, and we will need to speak to Red Shroud to find out how to get to her, we were just discussing the need to travel a ways over this plane and Xiuying here apparently can do so but needs the magic available, which it currently is not. I can use my boots but there are no guarantees of arriving on target as I have not seen the place and so I choose to not risk it. Do you have any such magic ?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ulbar replies, "Yes, I have several long distance transport spells available. I do need a little more information, however, since I do not know where this Red Shroud is. Do we have a particular location for them?"
    Last edited by QuantumFlash; 2023-03-19 at 02:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

we were told the Wells of Darkness