New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Wells of Darkness IC

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Xiuying
    maybe we can travel by magic but who is to say it would be accurate, unless you have the ability to make it accurate?
    if so maybe we can get lodging here first before we leave
    Finishing her thought to Reiza before turning to the newcomer, "My idea was less on the side of direct transposition, as you are of course correct, and more a mere hastening of our journey. We could fly there at great speed, though now that I consider the option more, I'd need to know of potential dangers to that plan. Do you know if the skies are safe on this plane?" Following that, an aside directed to Ulbar accompanied by a curt bow, "No apology is necessary, interplanar travel is often unpredictable. If you would be willing to accompany us, and able to provide such spells immediately, I would be sincerely grateful."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I would have to say that the possibility of running into something that fly's on this plane is average at best. I know there is magic that can teleport with accuracy, however I do not possess that magic. If either of you have such it may be the best option, however I do have the limited ability to cause myself to fly. If there is a better magic that can cause all of us to fly, then it is also a great option with a few risks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

“My magic is such that I could take us anywhere, on this plane or any other, with perfect accuracy so long as I have accurate enough knowledge of the destination. Manual travel is thus only necessary if some power impedes teleportation.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malcanthet listens to the discussion, then stirs at something that was said. "Red Shroud is not in the Wells of Darkness. That is where Shami-Amourae is imprisoned. Red Shroud is to be found ruling the town of Broken Reach. Broken Reach is on this layer of the Abyss, The Wells are the seventy-third layer of the Abyss," she says.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Mostly ignoring the Demon Queens comment, regardless of where , accurate transportation is neigh on impossible unless it has been visited or at least seen. So flying to Broken Reach may be the best option after all.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"This is not true. Even if I have never seen the place, a sufficiently accurate description is plenty enough for greater teleportation. Though considering how few are capable of using such magic, it does not surprise me that its capabilities are not well known."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

well then ask the mighty demon queen for a description, she may know it well enough
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-03-23 at 04:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen’Hesjing let out a low whistle at the discussion of teleportation reared it’s head. He casually mentioned in a break ”That’s pretty impressive, Ulbar. The best I can do is about a quarter of a mile at a time and that would cut into my abilities a bit.” He stretches his wings a bit and adds on ”Probably about half that speed if I flew there casually. Nothing quite like teleporting though.”
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ulbar turns to the demon. "I presume you are our employer? It is a good point, if you would, a description of the town would greatly facilitate matters."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Malcanthet nods slightly, the movement filled with grace and power. "I am indeed your employer, though once you leave on your task there are limits as to what I can do to assist you," she says. "Describing Broken Reach is easy, in that it is a fairly typical Abyssal town, though it is unique for its portal to Plague-Mort that is to be found beneath the city. But I am not sure I can describe every street to you, to give you sufficient detail to teleport there." She then tells you a little more about the city, probably enough that a sufficiently powerful spell would be able to find the place, but beyond the reach of a standard teleport spell.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

The extra information can be found in the OOC thread. A Greater Teleport or Gate spell will have enough information to get you there.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ulbar listens carefully to what the demon says, and nods thoughtfully. “Yes. That matches what I have heard before about the place. That is plenty for me to target a spell there.” He turns to everyone else and holds out his hand. “If everyone else is ready to depart, place your hand on mine. We must all be in contact with one another for me to take you along with me.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Xiuying listens intently to the discussion, only chiming in once Ulbar has made his decision, "Thank you for expediting this journey. If you would permit it, I'd like to discuss our joint capabilities when we next have a chance to rest. I think it would be useful, for me to be able to better complement your repertoire of spells." She lays her hand on his, spending the moment recalling what she has prepared that might be useful in the case of a hostile welcome.
    Last edited by AdmiralIvy; 2023-03-26 at 01:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

joining hands with the others, This should be an interesting discussion.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The party teleports using Ulbar's magic, arriving on the outskirts of a small but compact town of broken, crumbling towers. Creatures of all sorts pass by without so much as a glance at the party. They look like a representative mixture of the multiverse's population, though there are many more demons and far fewer celestials and devils to be found here than in a place like Sigil.

You can hear the sounds of merchants above all the yelling and screaming that can be found in any city. The merchants, you can only assume, must be coming from the famed markets of the town. The town is famed for its portal to Plague-Mort, the border town, and so many merchants and travellers pass by, creating the perfect location for a market.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ulbar retracts his hand after the teleport completes and looks around. "Just as busy as I've heard. Still, the abyss isn't nice this time of year, or really any time of year. Now, there is a market here, and I presume some of us may wish to procure supplies or items for the upcoming trip? Shall we do that before or after we have contacted Red Shroud?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

With a few blinks and a chuckle, Ixen'Hesjing says ”A lovely enough place. I say we get any sort of specific items after we talk to this Red Shroud. They can probably tell us if we do, in fact, need anything in particular.” He hums in thought as he thinks about potential items and comes up blank for now.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I agree we should find and talk to this Red Shroud first then get things if we think it is necessary.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The way to Red Shroud is easily uncovered. You know of the town that her private quarters and most important buildings in the town are to be found underground. But her throne room is to be found inside a prominent building in the middle of the town. It has white walls and blood-red spires and windows. The throne room itself is sixty feet off the ground, reached by big spiraling ramps.

Four statues of Red Shroud, made of red marble, lay halfway up the ramps. A shimmering curtain of red fire blocks the entrance to the throne room.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

pointing in the direction of the building, thinking to herself, I Wonder if we need permission to enter, Well it seems that is the most likely spot

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen’Hesjing let out an impressed whistle, or as close as one can get to a dragon’s muzzle, post teleportation and says ”Teleportation will never fail to amaze me. It’s nice having magically gifted compatriots.” He didn’t bother hiding his awed tourist face, clearly enjoying the new experience, up to and including the administrative temple.

With a shrug he mumbles ”No point in being subtle right now.” He then calls out loud enough for someone on the other side to hear him ”Lady Red Shroud? We beseech you and request your aid in a matter. May we enter?”
    New job, who dis?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

While Ixen is calling out, Ulbar inspects the barrier with magic senses, casting an extended Arcane Sight and a Detect Magic to help with the investigation.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

if there is no answer to Ixen's call out
    Well we might as well go in, if they have an issue I guess they will stop us

Walking into the throne room looking for the Red Shroud

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The flame curtain presents strong illusion magic. Those who approach it manage to simply walk through into the throne room. There is a small blast of noise as you enter, as though the flames were acting like a curtain blocking noise from inside.

Within, the room is large, with polished floors. There are curtained off alcoves all along each wall. The central floor is a sheet of polished glass, which looks magical to your failing magical senses. Red Shroud's throne stands atop a dais at the far end of the room. Red Shroud herself lounges upon the throne. Or at least, you can only assume that is who sits upon the throne. A demon Queen is unlikely to allow anyone else to sit on their throne.

A nalfeshnee stands just inside the room where you enter. It asks you in a surprisingly polite voice what exactly your business with the Mistress is.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen’Hesjing gives Reiza a solid 12 seconds before following after with a shrug. He blinks a couple times at the loud sound and bows his head at the pair of demons in the room. More to himself he mutters ”I’ll never get used to royalty.”

He then cleared his throat and bowed more properly at the mistress before turning to the nalfeshnee and saying ”Sorry for barging in, guess you two didn’t hear me earlier. Are we in the right spot and we’re before Lady Red Shroud?”
    New job, who dis?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The nalfeshnee nods slightly, almost in surprise at being asked if the throne room for the town held its usual occupant. "This is indeed the throne room and bastion of Mistress Red Shroud. Before you may approach her, you must tell me what is the purpose of your visit. I will decide if you are worthy to address her personally," it says.

Reiza looks up at the monstrous creature. It doesn't seem to be the sort of slavering monster that demons are supposed to be, though its looks are as horrible as expected. "We require information about the Wells of Darkness. A demon lord has sent us to free someone from it, and we need to know more about the place before we can enter the Wells," she says.

The nalfeshnee pauses, then looks across the room at its mistress. There is a long moment, then it says, "You may advance and ask your question. The Mistress will see you" You recall suddenly that some demons have the power of telepathy, and that it may have been asking its mistress the question.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Ixen'Hesjing hums for a few seconds in thought before giving another shrug and strides forward so that he's not uncomfortably shouting or anything. He then says to the succubi "As you've heard we seek someone held within the Well of Darkness." He pauses and starts to gauge her reaction as he adds "Her name is Shami-Amourae, which I'm sure someone in your position knows all about." He holds off on adding anything else as he casually fills his head with thoughts of what kind of alcohol an abyssal tavern would stock.
    New job, who dis?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Red Shroud looks a little surprised at this news. She sits up in the throne she had previously been lounging upon, and studies the group more intently. Finally, she says, "And what will you pay me for this information? I do not simply hand out information to any who ask it of me." she looks displeased at the name of Shami-Amourae.

You examine the room even as she speaks. There are four hezrous behind her, and a sort of red headed halfling stands off to one side, wearing clothing with an entirely fire-based motif.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

The Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi, asked us to travel this plane in search of the Lady of Delights, Shami-Amourae, and that we would need to speak to you to find out how to get to her. Now I am no expert on Demon Lords as a whole, but I suspect that her name carries with it some weight. You ask for payment for the information, I will ask what kind of payment you might expect.

Waiting for a reply then

Maybe you should seek that payment from The Demon Lord Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi.

edit
    rolls in ooc
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-04-13 at 10:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ulbar notes the others moving through and steps through the barrier himself experimentally, though he chooses to leave the negotiations up to the others for the moment and instead continues to study the illusory barrier as an up close example of the magic used by high level demons.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ah, of course mother would be involved in this," Red Shroud says. "If I assist her, I will offend Demogorgon himself. It would require a great deal of coin to be able to make such a thing worthwhile to me. I make enemies either way. Hence my displeasure at your clumsy approach," she adds.

You realise she is right. The politics of the Abyss are intricate and involved, and even one such as Red Shroud can be little more than a pawn in such things.