New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Emerald Spire Superdungeon [IC]

SECRETS NONE WILL SURVIVE!

For ages untold, a gemstone monolith has pierced the heart of the Echo Wood. Now, as civilization intrudes upon this enigmatic splinter, a strange life once again stirs in the depths -- one with ties to undying evils and a might beyond time itself. The promise of wealth and power calls to glory-seekers from across the Inner Sea region, tempting them into a labyrinth of monster-haunted vaults, defiled tombs, arcane laboratories, and worse, as they seek to unveil the secrets locked below the legendary Emerald Spire.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Character
    [Player]
    Speech Color AL
    Faith Race [Ethnicity]
    (Gender ID)
    Side #1
    Side #2
    Aroden d'Orro
    [Kapra]
    Dark Green
    CN Gorum Human [Taldan]
    (m)
    Mesmerist 1
    [Vexing Trickster]
    Warlord 1
    Bríg Kildare
    [qazgir]
    Violet
    CG Black Butterfly Half-Elf [Kellid]
    (f)
    Cleric 1
    [Ecclesitheurge]
    Stormbound 1
    Grathar Stoneheart
    [Ragnarok'n'Roll]
    Golden Rod
    LG Torag Dwarf
    (m)
    Monk 1 Warder 1
    [Ordained Defender]
    Mordren
    [MasterK]
    Dark Orange
    CN Sivanah Tiefling [Grimspawn, Osiriani]
    (f)
    Arcanist 1 Brawler 1
    [Constructed Pugilist]
    NPC Contacts
    Reiko
    Indigo
    ? ? Human [Minkaian]
    (f)
    ? Ninja?
    Ezren
    Blue
    ?? Atheist Human [Taldan]
    (m)
    ? Wizard?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-02-18 at 02:20 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Emerald Spire Superdungeon [IC]

ADVENTURERS & THE LAW

While obvious monsters are fair game to all, the Hellknights do not recognize the right of any self-declared adventurer to kill “villains” and seize their belongings. That’s common banditry, and those who ride back to Fort Inevitable after committing such vigilantism can expect to be arrested—unless they’ve first secured a letter of warrant.

A letter of warrant is a license from the lord commander authorizing the bearer and her company to “act in the interest of good order and keep the lady commander’s laws.” That is generally construed as doing most of the things adventuring parties typically do—attacking outlaws, hunting monsters, surveying dangerous ruins, and investigating mysteries.

Adventurers operating from Fort Inevitable purchase a letter of warrant for 50 gp per year, and agree to turn over 30 percent of the coin, goods, and property they confiscate to the Citadel. The lady commander’s agents also require reports of just what actions were taken with a letter of warrant.

THE RED SHIELD TAVERN

... and it is here that each of you have come and answered a job posting to meet in a specific larger table. The original job posting was interesting, but didn't have contact information, so each of you did what made sense, and that was to ask at the bar. But individually, you would find a parchment under your door after a day or two of inquiring about the offer, telling you to meet here at this time. Mind you, 3/4 of you have the money to purchase a license for your own, but 50 gp is still a hefty fee, and if someone is willing to foot the bill to sponsor you, it might be worth a listen.

You see a Taldan man at the table, hard to define in years, for he seems hale but he is at least in his upper 40s (if not 50s) with white hair and long, straight beard. One thing is for certain, though, whether he is health or not ... he isn't young. He wears good-quality clothing though nothing as ostentatious as one of your number, and he has a fondness for the colors of blue with white or black trim. His eyes are a piercing blue, expressing a mind that is always weighing, measuring, assessing, and analyzing. Standing behind him in a protective manner is a very short woman dressed head to toe in some type of foreign garb of black, and only a large swath at the top of her face shows exotic eyes not possessed by any human from around here. Even her weapons seem foreign.

He greets each of you, and a good meal and a conservative amount of drink is brought forth.

"I am Ezren, and I am a scholar of many ancient secrets. Rumors with my colleagues have brought me to here, Fort Inevitable, with an eye for exploration of what is called by folks around simply as the 'Emerald Spire.' Behind me is my partner-of-the-road - Reiko. Each of you have already talked to Reiko, though it is likely you didn't realize it at the time. She was the one who would observe or even engage you in a variety of guises to determine more about you to see if you might have what it takes to be useful enough to survive to bring me the secrets of the Emerald Spire. Absolutely everything to record, however boring that may be, but of course that should only be done once you have er ... pacified ... a given area of the Spire. No need for you to have your nose so close to the writing on the wall that you should have read the writing on the wall, if you get my drift.

"Reiko will go down with you, her expertise being in defeating security systems. She will give you what aid she can, but she is likely not a match for any of you here when it comes to skill in arms or brute magic force. She has some experience, but it is not her bailiwick.

"She and you are free to divvy what treasures you earn, but I ask you NOT to try to smuggle treasure and cheat the tax-man. If you need any reason why, go to the council offices and ask for an assessment of punishments levied on those that tried to do so and failed, many of them having used various mundane or magical legerdemain to try and abscond with more than their share. Much of that money is put back into the town to create a more secure home for its residents. And while we are here doing this, that means you.

"In the meantime, I will collect everyone's individual reports. Whatever drawings, sketches, rubbings, written reports, maps, macaroni-on-parchment ..... whatever you need to do to record, record, record everything you see and deal with down there. Meanwhile, on your end I will have paid for your licenses ... but not as lone individuals, rather as a collective mercenary company overseen by me. Also, anything you come across that you don't understand, I am a sage, and it is possible I know something that among the four - or, well, five of you - you've been able to determine.

"Are these terms acceptable?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-02-18 at 02:06 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bríg

A half-elf woman stands at the opposite end of the table from Ezren. She is tall and slim, with pale skin, freckles, and an abundance of curly red hair tied into a messy ponytail. She is wearing a matching dark blue shirt and dress, the dress is embroidered with a pattern of stars reminiscent of the night sky. Floating near her body, in location roughly corresponding to where armor would go, are stone plates engraved with a similar pattern to her dress. A small smile plays on her face as she says "those sound like very agreeable terms to me. I'm always interested in a new adventure, and what better than to plumb the depths unknown to retrieve new and exciting knowledge. Ah, pardon me, I'm Bríg, it's a pleasure to meet you all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grathar

The burly dwarf who sat at the middle of the table, bowed his head slightly. "Greetings Ezren, Reiko, Bríg and ...others. I am called Grathar." He pushed off his hood, revealing his cleanly shaved head. A few scars were visible on his forehead.

He raised a meaty hand and pushed his brown braided beard into his chest as he carefully bit into a chunk of bread. A crumb dropped to the table and was quickly scooped up and put on the side of his plate. His clothes were modest, tan brown and almost seemed to match his eyes. Much like Grathar, his clothes were clean and well-kept.

He nodded slowly as Ezren spoke. "Seems pretty reasonable. Thank you for the food and drink. A gracious host." He said at last.

"Though you seem to have a unique appearance, at least for these parts." He nodded towards Reiko and raised his hand over his mouth, emulating a mask. "Yet, I don't remember seeing you before. An amazing talent, to be sure - to fool me. Are you trying to fool us about anything else? Can we trust you with our lives?"

Grathar smiled.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2023-02-19 at 10:21 AM. Reason: formatting change.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

"Oh, I am certain she is fine," comes a response from across the table, "In her line of work I am sure she must walk a tight rope lest she fall to wolves, aye, mon cheri?"

The speaker had his boots up upon the table, brown and cut just below the knee, leading into a puffed-and-slashed pair of green and gold leggings. At his waist was normally a sword belt, but he had set it aside in the corner, along with a considerably larger sword as its mate, safely of off his person but still well within reach. The chest of his doublet is black, embroidered with golden thread into a tight floral pattern, and its sleeves cut in the same manner as his trousers: green and gold and checkered from the arm to the wrist. He finishes off a tankard of ale that he had been nursing for some time, leans forward and drums it upon the table, calling to the innkeep, "Another Hellcoast Red here!"

He grins at Reiko, and regards the table with dark eyes, unassuming at first glance but possessing a certain je ne sais quoi the longer one stares into them, an affect that is only magnified in the half light of the tavern and seemingly a quality not unlike his fellow Taldan at the table. His gaze moves across the group, regarding each in turn, lingering upon Bríg for half a beat longer as he smiles and tips his broad feathered cap, and turns back to the innkeep, "Actually, make it a round for my friends here!"

"Aroden d'Orro!" He introduces himself, face dun and rugged yet well kept and not unpleasant to look upon; sharp, with high cheekbones and well-worn by the sun, his chin capped by a black goatee that is oiled to keep it in immaculate order. Sweeping his black curls away from his face, he leans forward and claps Ezren upon the shoulder, "Aye Coz, quite acceptable! The Order will have its pound of flesh and we'll have ours besides!"

Picking up a candle, he holds his signet before the sage and winks, "So, where do you need my seal?"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Mordren

The final attendee at the table nods along, listening closely as the would be benefactor speaks. With skin of a burnt reddish-orange hue, stunted leathery wings, and a long spaded prehensile tail wrapped around their waist keeping it out of the way of passing patrons, they make no effort to hide their obvious Tiefling heritage. While less immediately noticeable than her more stiking features, the more perceptively inclined will also notice Their blunted teeth and the extra thumb on each hand as well as the fact that her right hand is the color of polished steel rather than that of the rest of her skin, closer attn will reveal that this is due to the fact that it is indeed polished steel as opposed to natural flesh.

"I suppose that leaves just me left as far as introductions go. My name is Mordren, and I see nothing amiss with your offer Mr. Ezren, and I welcome someone of Miss Reiko's talents as I neither disguise nor the finding and disarming of traps fall within my general skill set."

Extending their right hand to shake on the deal with Ezren. "I look forward to working with the two of you" before doing the same with Reiko. Their sleeve slipping enough in the process to reveal that the steel of their hand extends beyond her wrist and up their arm as well
    Last edited by Master K; 2023-02-19 at 03:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

For a middle-aged man, Ezren's grip is not as weak as you might think .... he's not a "powerful" man, mind you .... just a healthier one than his white beard and hair would belie.

"Excellent. Meet here tomorrow after breakfast at nine of the clock. Be prepared for dark work in a dark dungeon, and Reiko will have a copy of the writ and guide you to the Emerald Spire."

He and Reiko leave.

Do any of you have any business to conduct before the next day?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

Aroden raises his tankard in a final toast, and downs the rest of his drink. Standing suddenly, he doffs his cap from his head to his heart in farewell, as he declares, "Well, it was a pleasure to meet all of you! I pray to each god in turn that our confederation proves long and fruitful, ah?"

He places his hat back on his head, and retrieves his weapons, fastening the smaller sword to his belt, and taking care not to knock anything over with the larger of the pair, "Now, I shall go to ask around, perform reconnaissance, hmm? See if any former explorers have brought back tales of what awaits within, learn of local rumors, so we will not be walking in blind, ah?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aroden is going to spend the next day Gathering Information, attempting to learn anything from confirmed facts to idle rumor regarding the tower's defenses and defenders.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grathar

Grathar raises his tankard to Aroden as he leaves.

"Oh, speaking of walking in blind, do not forget to bring a light source." Grathar says to no one in particular. After finishing his drink finally, Grathar rises and tucks in his chair. He brushes crumbs off his clothes and straightens them.

"I bid you all good morning. I have some shopping to do before tomorrow." He bows. Grathar glances around the room at the other patrons and leaves.

Show

Grathar will go on a shopping trip after the meeting, looking for the following:

Ink, 8gp
    10x paper, 4 gp
    inkpen, 1 sp
    chalk, 1 cp
    charcoal, 5 sp
    scroll case, 1 gp, 1/2 lb

= 13 gp, 6 sp, 1 cp

If anything is unavailable or more then 10% expensive then is 'usual', he'll skip the purchase. I don't assume its all available or for the 'standard' prices.

Later in the day, Grathar will attempt to confirm a letter of warrant has been procured by Ezran on their behalf.

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2023-02-21 at 10:57 PM. Reason: formatting adjustments

10. - Top - End - #10

Grathar, your purchases go off without a hitch, and nothing was priced beyond relative expectations. Fort Inevitable's position as a growing waystation on the road in the Echo Wood means that trade does well enough here that prices are good. Also, as the tax on recovered treasures from the various adventures throughout the area sees itself reinfused into local economy, so it doesn't do local merchants to gouge prices on common adventuring gear.

On the other hand, seeing into "someone else's" business, even if your name might be on it, has Grathar ushered out the door. No, there is no "but what if I say..." They won't deal with a grubby rock-runt who looks like a conspicuously clean beggar.

Does anyone else have any personal business?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bríg

Bríg grabs her bag from the chain in front of her.

"I think Aroden has the right idea, it always helps to be prepared." she says as she turns and heads out the door.

Spoiler: Actions to take
    Show
    Bríg will also spend the rest of the day Gathering Information, going to any temples in the area and talking to their members.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Mordren will finish her drink and take her leave as well heading for the market seeking a reliable and reusable light source.

Spoiler: Shoping List
    Show
    Looking for an Ioun Torch (75gp)

13. - Top - End - #13

Bríg asks around and finds the Temple of Silence.
    Spoiler: Temple of Silence
    Show
    19. Temple of Silence

The Temple of Silence has stood here for almost 200 years, founded after a priestess of Pharasma passing through was struck by a powerful vision on this spot. Her fellow Pharasmins raised a small shrine, and by the time the Hellknights seized control of the town, the Temple of Silence was well established as the second most popular church in town. The presiding priest of the Temple of Silence is an Ustalav named Dimeru Faldindor.

Mordren will not find a lead on an ioun torch.

The party reconvenes the next day, ready to go, with Reiko there. Any parting words?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

Aroden returns, easy enough to spot as he makes his way through the crowd, given his standing height a full two heads taller than most of those around him. Taking care not to knock his head against the ceiling, he shakes his head as he reaches the table, "Seems the folks here are rather, ah, tight-lipped, non? I could get nothing from them! Perhaps they are waiting for us to perish inside to loot our corpses, oui? Well, I will have terrible news for them when we return victorieux."

He collapses onto a bench, dark rings more prominent under his eyes than the day before, and asks, "So, we are ready to depart, non?"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grathar

Grathar arrives a full five minutes early. Grathar bows in greeting as he sees each member of the team.

" I am ready to go. Adventure calls! Maybe one day we will leave corpses worth looting. Surrounded by an impressive ring of dispatched enemies, enough to inspire songs and fanciful tales. For now though, anyone looting my corpse is going to be disappointed and disheartened."
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2023-02-25 at 11:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Not a necromancer," comes a glib, accented voice from under Reiko's mask.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Reiko leads the group out of town on their six-mile hike. The Emerald Spire stands in a broad, raised clearing in the southwest reaches of the Echo Wood. This open area is known locally as the Spire Glen. The glen is almost perfectly circular and centered on the Emerald Spire, as if some unseen hand had long ago drawn a border around the old tower with a compass more than 500 yards wide. The trees of the Echo Wood crowd up against this unseen border and suddenly halt—nothing larger than a sapling grows in the Glen.

She leads you up to the tower itself (see pic above, sans gobbos and iconics). The stone staircase that led up to the tower’s door is now nothing more than a rubble-strewn cliff. On the tower’s south side, a dirt path winds up the steep embankment.

What do you do, and do you wish to change the marching order? Reiko is in the front (to the east).
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

"Like a battlefield..." Aroden muses to himself as he surveys the clearing. Shaking off the feeling, he claps his hands together and turns to the others, looking down and declaring, "Now, before we begin, I would like to offer you all a blessing, a simple benediction, that might aid in an hour of lament."

Placing two fingers upon his brow, and his thumb upon his chin, the towering man states, "Fear naught when all else has abandoned you, for you are and have always been your strongest ally."

There is a certain subtle yet distinct flow of energy in the air, and his eyes lighten for just a moment as he completes his mantra, but otherwise, Aroden seems entirely unchanged. Reaching his hand out before him, the man offers to do the same in turn to those who would accept it.

Show
    Aroden will implant Mesmeric Mirror on himself and will do the same to the others if no one declines.

If we are tracking our actions at this point, each implant takes a standard action.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

19. - Top - End - #19

Reiko offers out her hand. Not sensing anything other than a tingle, she steps aside for anyone else.

Grathar, Bríg, Mordren .... do you take ..... whatever it is Aroden is offering?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grathar

"Thanks. What's it do ? Hope it keeps the necromancers away."

Spoiler
    Show

Grather accepts the strange blessing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bríg

Nodding appreciatively, Bríg takes Aroden's hand, "thank you, and a blessing to all of you as well."

She briefly clasps her hand in prayer, and when she releases them the other members of the party immediately feel more comfortable. "Just a little protection against any inclement weather," she says before laughing quietly.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Brig accepts the Trick and takes a free action to grant Weatherproofing to the four other parts members.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

"Ah, the Bénédiction del Phalange," Aroden replies to Grathar, "A specialty of Gorum, to ensure you are not alone when under duress."

He turns to Bríg and beams, tipping his cap, "Mercí, mademoiselle."

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Mordren smiles and accepts the blessings as well

24. - Top - End - #24

With the .... "Finger-Blessings" complete .... .... the party continues along the thickly rubble-strewn path which takes a sharp turn and a switchback heading briefly NW before straightening out to the north to face the entrance of the tower.

The footpath climbs up to a jagged hole in the side of the green glass tower. The light outside the tower does not penetrate into the building more than a few feet. Beyond that, it’s pitch black, except to Mordren and Grathar.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-02-28 at 03:02 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Grathar

"This looks like a good place for an ambush or trap. Better bust out your lanterns or what ever."

Grathar looks around, taking it all in. "So, who or what built this place? Anyone know?"
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2023-02-28 at 09:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Aroden d'Orro

Aroden whistles, leaning against the egress and staring into the inky black, "Dark in there, non?"

Unslinging his greatblade from his shoulder, he removes it from its scabbard (which he re-slings) and holds it before him, one hand upon the hilt, the other upon the ricasso.

"Pride, you shall be my guiding light. Allume."

His eyes alight again as a faint glow seems to radiate from within the wavy steel blade.

Show
    Aroden draws his sword and casts Light on it.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Mordren

Mordren focuses her mind and summons an illusory set of armor around her self eyes locked on the path ahead ready for whatever dangers may await the party

Spoiler
    Show
    Spend 1 arcane point for armored mask

28. - Top - End - #28

Not thinking to have brought a light source, Reiko falls back to allow Aroden to take the lead.

Aroden in the lead, currently with a soft white glow from his blade ... is stymied. Normally, the glow is as bright as a torch, but his sword's light only chews into 5' of the darkness before it is stopped cold.

For her part, Bríg realizes her elven vision avails her none. She only sees as far as the 5' of light cast from the sword ... and no more.

Only Mordren and Grathar seem to be without penalty.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bríg

Brig pauses and pulls out of her bag a hooded lantern and oil, saying "Let's see if a lantern is of more use." A puzzled look crosses her face as she continues to rummage, "Ah, I, uh, seem to have forgotten my matches. Ah well, this will have to do, two lights are better than one after all." She grabs her holy symbol and touching the lantern says, "Shine bright like the stars that light my path." The lantern begins to shine with inner light.

Spoiler: Magic!
    Show
    Bríg casts Light on her lantern.

30. - Top - End - #30

So as not to have too much glare ... like too many lanterns while standing in a snow squall ... Bríg's light comes through as a midnight blue so deep as to be almost black, with Aroden's light being the more noticeable at this time. She can always change to silver or white as needed.

Now what?
    Show