New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1418
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

John pressed his head against the cool, wet tile and let the shower's steam and hot water wash over him. He knew that, no matter how long he stood there, letting the heat to seep into him, it wouldn’t reach the parts of his being that still ached from the cold — the scarred over area from where the Homunculus had gnawed off a portion of his soul.

But it was better than nothing.

In his mind's eye, he could almost see the angry, purple scar. It wasn’t unlike the scar that ran down the back of Uncle Pete’s leg that he had come home from Afghanistan with. Uncle Peter’s scar always grew angry in the winter cold — angry enough that he had started using it to predict changes in the weather.

Indeed, the scar he saw was close enough to Uncle Peter’s to make him wonder if he was drawing the image more from his uncle than he was from what he could sense within him.

But if the hot shower couldn’t help with that, it was helping with other things.

He was excited about tomorrow but acknowledged the Shaws’ visit to Providence came with a certain amount of stress — stress that had found its way into his neck and shoulders.

Dinner would be a significant step.

And it was a step that Grayson could not help but notice.

John rotated his neck, trying to work out some of the tension there.

While Grayson may have integrated his two halves in the aftermath of the Phoenix Egg, the confirmation from his father that Valèdir had always been him made plain an unavoidable truth.

John had interacted with the part of Grayson that wanted him dead and had been willing to act on that impulse.

And that part of Grayson likely remained, buried somewhere in his id.

At least he hoped it was buried.

And it would lurk there, waiting. Waiting for either a chance to act or for a therapist to work with him.

And there was no way for John to know how deeply buried it was.

John straightened, rubbing his neck and wishing the chill would fade. It was distracting him.

He had defeated the dragon once, he reminded himself. He could do so again if he had to.

For Emi's sake, he hoped it would not come to that — especially since such an encounter might cause Aurelius to involve himself in the way Jaal indicated he would be obligated to avenge him if he fell to Valèdir.

John shut off the shower. It had done all he could reasonably expect of it.

And he had a report to complete — one that Montcrieff would not enjoy reading and would likely make the other AEGIS Occult Divisions sit up and take notice.

Someone had access to the contents of the the Өлген жындарды жасау — if not in part via some of its fragments then in whole.

John knew he would need to word that portion of the report very carefully. Officially, he had not read that accursed tome. No one on this plane knew that the Tribunal had arranged for him to do so.

How much did they know? Had the Tribunal foreseen this encounter in the way Harbinger might have or was it closer to the kind of hunch that he had learned to master while training under Doctor Dee and Edward Kelley?

John shook his head and, after toweling off, pulled on a pair of dockers and a Salve tee shirt before heading to his desk to complete his report — pausing only slightly when the tee shirt called to mind Emi wearing the sleep shirt his sister and Jefferey had bought for her.

Focus, John.

After the report, he his portion of the dust sample was waiting for him in his lab.

It promised to be another long night.

2. - Top - End - #1322

AssassinGuy

Post Mission

Keith had already cleaned up and changed from his uniform to some civilian clothes. Even though he wasn't gone for as long as he thought, he still had a ton of homework to run through.

And to mention the plan about a tour of the local author's house, though he would send that text in a bit. It had been a while, and so far the most interaction he had with anyone outside the team lately was lunch earlier with Apex.

"Man, if Stolas was still here, maybe I could ask him about the flames..." He thought aloud making his way to the command center just to walk about.

Seeing Harbinger, he stood at attention for a moment. "Ah, didn't mean to interrupt, Harbinger. You doing alright?"

It was odd because they spoken much outside of while Keith had been doing training for Seraph. He thought a moment.

"Do you mind if I run an idea by you? It concerns Aeryn's new flames." Concern was painted over Keith's face.

"Do you think it's possible that some part of Mirko is in them? Not like a full self, but some sort of remnant or shadow of himself?"

3. - Top - End - #1323

OldWizardGuy

South Side Base, 1:50 AM
    Spoiler: John’s roll for the analysis of the dust
    Show
    John’s Analysis of the Dust: 1d10o10+2 8 1d6o6+2 4

John raised the loupe from his eyes and, setting the long tweezers down, stretched his neck and back.

“I think we can narrow the results down a little further, Mimi — given the amount and type of clay that’s in the mixture. What happens if we eliminate all of the samples that don’t contain the darker grey clay, keeping the ones with the mixture of river washed slate, leaving the background loose stone levels constant, and continuing to limit the sand common to the river after its two tributaries mingle.”

“That leaves only one major supplier, John,” Mimi responded after a moment’s thought. “JPL Industrial Supply on the edge of South Side matches the gravel composition you have described.

“You may be able to confirm more,” she continued as John rubbed his temples, “if we were to examine their recent sales and deliveries for unusual activity.”

“An excellent suggestion, Mimi — although that hardly comes as a surprise from you. Having a food truck or two make regular stops there would be one thing. A greater amount of food — or unusual food — might tell us more. The same is true of the kind of industrial material being brought in. The summoning of demons requires some exotic material, if you want to be safe.”

He paused, turning to the projected images on the wall. “Please begin to see what you can learn about those deliveries and log that we have come up with a single candidate. I’d like to have Louis confirm the analysis before we get too far along and introduce confirmation bias into our results.

“Please forward my results to Seraph and Harbinger. They — and you — should be the ones to judge this. I’d prefer it if you were to write the basic report up for each so that we are replicating a double-blind procedure.”

He rubbed his eyes. “I should stop. It’s almost 2 AM and I’m worried I may not be thinking as straight as I should be.” He glanced up at Mimi’s camera and smiled weakly. “Besides: If I don’t get to bed soon, I’m going to miss my regularly scheduled time for my nightmares. I’d hate to throw off your documentation schedule and make Cindy of London wonder why I’ve shifted my schedule.”

He lowered the loupe and took one last look at his sample, making sure he hadn’t missed anything. “Our first steps should be recon anyway. I don’t want to gate us into a trap or strategically inauspicious space. That would take a day at least, which will give the team time to recover from this evening’s encounter.

“And,” he conceded playfully, “leave my wooing schedule undisturbed. Her father — along with my family — will be in attendance so I should probably not be distracted.”

He looked at the samples of Nova that he had lined up on his table.

“Not that we ever seem to be without something to distract us here,” he added, moving the samples to the secure box. “There’s always something else to do, isn’t there?”

“Although,” he added with a frown as he took off the loupe, “I think I’m supposed to be thinking of the wooing as the thing interrupting my work rather than the other way around. You won’t tell anyone, will you, Mimi?”

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 4th
    Post Battle Cleanup
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaunt
    The small murder flies out in a lazy expanding circle for several minutes before it recongregates into Nightgaunt next to Anima.

"Nothing that I can see." He offers his oversized teammate.

"How'd it feel? Helping people like this, I mean." He asks.
    Anima is seated on her haunches with her cape of brambles pulled tight around her in an attempt to appear smaller as she watches a couple of paramedics check a small family for injuries. A blue SUV with damage and broken windows on the right side is pulled halfway into the sidewalk in front of an ambulance.

The family is a young mother and father with two boys both under age of five. One of the boys has a cut over his eye and the mother has several abrasions on her face and arms.

“Good,” Anima replies to the vampire. “These people would’ve died if I hadn’t stopped them from going through the barrier. I wish I could’ve done it without hurting them, but it was better than the alternative.”

She gives Nightgaunt a quick glance. “Only one of the kids burst into tears when he saw me, so that’s an improvement,” she jokes quietly.

Keith- Command Room
    Harbinger glances up at Keith as he enters the room. He can see that the angel is watching slightly blurry, wide angle footage of the battle outside the warehouse with the demons on one of the large TVs and making notes on a laptop. The video pauses just as the Qetz’seia drops the cage around the teams.

“I’m just… peachy, Keith,” the angel growls. There are dark circles under his eyes and his feathers look even more ragged than normal. There are several broken feathers scattered on the floor around the table. “I love doing initial after action reports for not one, but two teams, by myself after midnight.”

Harbinger lets out a frustrated sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. “Sorry. It’s been a long couple days.”

He lowers his hand and looks back up at the shadowmancer after he asks his question. “It’s possible. I don’t think Aeryn has ever said anything about feeling any emotions from the flames that he absorbs. I know he’s absorbed some from Yuki’s rooster form a few times. Mirko Dragonov is a different beast though.”

John
    “Your secret is safe with me, John,” Mimi replies. “Please, try to get some rest. I will format the reports and send them to Seraph and Harbinger.”

She pauses for a moment. “I wish you luck in your wooing endeavors this evening. I eagerly await updates when you return.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-02-15 at 11:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    December 4th
    Keith- Command Room
    Harbinger glances up at Keith as he enters the room. He can see that the angel is watching slightly blurry, wide angle footage of the battle outside the warehouse with the demons on one of the large TVs and making notes on a laptop. The video pauses just as the Qetz’seia drops the cage around the teams.

“I’m just… peachy, Keith,” the angel growls. There are dark circles under his eyes and his feathers look even more ragged than normal. There are several broken feathers scattered on the floor around the table. “I love doing initial after action reports for not one, but two teams, by myself after midnight.”

Harbinger lets out a frustrated sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. “Sorry. It’s been a long couple days.”

He lowers his hand and looks back up at the shadowmancer after he asks his question. “It’s possible. I don’t think Aeryn has ever said anything about feeling any emotions from the flames that he absorbs. I know he’s absorbed some from Yuki’s rooster form a few times. Mirko Dragonov is a different beast though.”
    Keith nods and looks at the ground at first. Of course, he hadn't thought about it and Harbinger would be pressed to do the work right now. In truth, he felt bad for bothering the angel right now. As Harbinger apologized, Keith shook his head and smiled softly.

"No need to apologize, sir. I get it." He says making his way over to an empty seat. "Don taught me how to fill out reports soon after chewing me out once for a situation like this, so if there's anything I can do to help out, I'd be happy to."

Looking at the clock, he sighed. "My sense of time is still broken it seems."

At Harbinger's response to his question, he thinks for a moment. "I asked him about it since, well, he keeps summoning them in spurts of incredible rage. If there are emotions attached, she may not even notice it here. I talked with Sidney about possibly seeing if he would react to emotions based on Burnout's flames, but at the same time it's just a theory and may be quicker to look into them."

It was weighing on his mind with the absorption powers. How would he react to other abilities? He needed to test them.

"I offered to go with him and see if Eidolon could sense anything, but he may feel more comfortable with Emilia checking out everything. The idea came to me with how sometimes my powers would just go berserk. Either accepting it as a part of me or even manifesting into a shadow." He looked at his hands for a moment.

"Sometime tomorrow, I'll see if we can set up an appointment over the week, so long as it's alright with you. I'm a bit worried he may reject it and it could consume him. As much as Stolas taught me to take in energy, and to nullify it, I can't get those blue flames down. With how Mirko is described, it wouldn't surprise me if part of him burned in each of his fires. The psycho would rather burn everything than admit defeat."

His eyes narrowed. "Perfect for her then........." He didn't realize he said that part out loud.

6. - Top - End - #1326

OldWizardGuy

Sunday, December 5, 5:25 PM — The Spire
    John paced the Chamber of Doors like a caged animal, glancing often at Emi’s doorway. In the quiet of the Spire, her inserting her key into the lock would be clearly audible from down the hallway and painfully obvious within the Chamber itself.

He glanced at his watch.

Five minutes to go.

It was simultaneously comforting and stress-inducing that he could count on a clock-like precision from the Shaws — just as he could count on his mother being able to adapt quickly to Ian and a guest (likely Aimee) arriving unexpectedly (Not that that would happen but she would be ready nonetheless.). As always, he could not be certain if he read her response to the news that Ian was not coming correctly but he was fairly certain that it was an adjustment to her plan of campaign rather than a major disappointment.

There would be time to work on Ian later, he could almost hear her say. His absence tonight would permit her to focus on Mister Alister Shaw (rather than Eidolon) — both to attempt to understand him and to advance whatever campaign she had decided to wage.

He took a deep breath and paused at the end of one pass of the room, glad that her campaign aligned with his particular feelings on the matter.

He turned and looked at the door.

It was silent.

He looked at his watch.

5:26.

He began pacing again.

He noted they were now within the margin of error for a normal person’s arrival. With the Shaws, however, he had made a practice of dropping his own margin of error to one minute, plus or minus. He felt certain that they operated within a thirty second window with fifteen seconds preferred.

He looked at the door accusingly as he passed it, as if it was to blame that it was not opening yet.

He did not want to miss their entrance. First and foremost, he yearned to see the look on Emi’s face again when she entered into the psychic stillness — the normalcy — the Spire provided her. John was also aware that he was curious to see what reaction, if any, Mr. Shaw would have. Was the range to the nearest shipping lane sufficient to at least dim the mental chatter he always heard? Would there be a barely perceptible relaxation? A sense of wonder? Or would the Shaw Reserve, built up over years of discipline, sustain his mask?

He had good reason to wish for visible relaxation to appear.

While Mr. Shaw had been (with the one exception of his warning at the Hallowe’en party) nothing but appropriately cordial and, on rare occasion, relatively friendly, this was a momentous meeting in his life. As his own father had explained when he had called to confirm there were no issues with the wine (Given what he had paid and the research Estaban had conducted about Mr. Shaw’s publicly known tastes, there certainly should not have been.), meeting the family of his daughter’s suitor was a more than significant step.

It was big enough that his father admitted to still being surprised that his mother had pushed for it.

5:27.

While he didn’t need to be told this, his father’s comments underscored what he already believed.

So, apparently, did the butterflies that had taken up residence in his stomach.

Coming to the end of his path, he turned and immediately began walking back in the direction he came.

The most wonderful thing of it all, however, was that Emi had embraced the meeting of their families. His father had given her graceful exits — exits that John knew ran risks with his mother (His father, of course, was the only one in the household who really knew how far to push at such moments. But even he could make mistakes.).

But Emi had accepted the invitation and asked her father to join them in Providence for Sunday Pot Roast.

John smiled this time as he looked at his watch.

5:28.

Meanwhile, in Providence
    “Two minute warning,” Mary called out matter-of-factly from the kitchen.

“We’re all ready, Momma Two,” Jefferey replied as Mary tried to refrain from bouncing beside him. “The finished dresses are laid out, the table is set….”

“…and the salad’s components are artfully arranged as if they were just a last minute thought rather than a carefully laid trap for your eldest son,” Joe added, kissing her mischievously on the cheek.

She gave her handsome husband a not entirely unamused look.

“All the instruments are in good working order,” Stephen added, coming up from the basement.

“I’m just glad Boyfriend gave us a preview of his mode of arrival yesterday,” Jefferey added. “Even though he told us exactly what he was going to do, when he opened the back door and you could see the Spire behind him, it almost gave me a heart attack.”

“It’sgoigntobefuntohelphimdecorate,” Kate added in an excited rush, glancing at the back door, waiting for the unfamiliar to occur.

“Do you need a shot of something to calm down, Kate?” Joe asked with visible amusement. “Remember: We’re set for the earliest possible arrival. John was going to offer Emi’s father a quick tour of the Spire.”

“You would almost think she is more excited to see Emi than John,” Stephen teased.

“He sees her more often,” Kate explained pointedly. “I don’t have a chance to spread my excitement out. Besides — she’s going to see the finished dresses tonight!”

“And maybe try them Ah-hon!” Jeffery almost sang.

The Spire
    His watch buzzed with the incoming message.

“Good luck, Kelley,” Montcrieff wrote. “Even you might need it tonight.”

The hour struck.

“Look alive, Mark Two,” Clea teased.

The key turned in the lock.

He took a deep breath as the door opened.

“Good evening,” he offered the Shaws as steadily as he could. “Welcome to the Spire.”

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 4th
    Keith- Command Room
    Harbinger looks back at his laptop and shakes his head. “These are Director after actions. They’re only done by me and Seraph, with some help from Mimi and Eva. Thanks for the offer though.”

He sighs heavily and starts to say something else but thinks better of it before returning to the current conversation. “After tonight, I think it would be wise to get Aeryn checked out. With him being an alien, we don’t really know how his powers work, and nullifiers don’t work on him. I’d prefer him to get looked at by Alistair, for Emi’s safety, but I get that he would be more comfortable not having Eidolon poke around in his head.”

December 5th
    The Spire
    Emi smiles upon seeing John. He can sense a restrained excitement from her as she steps through the doorway, followed closely by her father.

“Good evening, John,” she replies. He can feel the ghost of kiss on his cheek.

Tonight, Emi is wearing a knitted sweater dress with a high collar, brown leather boots that come up to mid thigh, and long ivory cashmere coat.

Mr. Shaw is dressed in a smart gray Italian-cut blazer with a white dress shirt tucked into dark jeans. Under his arm is a sleek black box about twelve inches square and six inches tall, tied with a white ribbon.

“Mr. Kelley,” Mr. Shaw says, offering his hand to shake.

Emi closes the door behind them, and John can sense that she relaxes as blessed silence washes over her.

Spoiler: Notice TN 10
    Show
    As Emi closes the door, John notices just the slightest micro expression of surprise on Mr. Shaw’s face. It’s just the smallest raise of his eyebrows at the sudden quiet of the psychic energy around them.

After his greeting, Mr. Shaw takes in the Chamber of Doors. “Thank you for having us. Emi’s told me small snippets about this place, and I’ll admit I’m more than a little intrigued.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-02-17 at 12:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1328

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    The Spire
    Emi smiles upon seeing John. He can sense a restrained excitement from her as she steps through the doorway, followed closely by her father.

“Good evening, John,” she replies. He can feel the ghost of kiss on his cheek.

Tonight, Emi is wearing a knitted sweater dress with a high collar, brown leather boots that come up to mid thigh, and long ivory cashmere coat.

Mr. Shaw is dressed in a smart gray Italian-cut blazer with a white dress shirt tucked into dark jeans. Under his arm is a sleek black box about twelve inches square and six inches tall, tied with a white ribbon.

“Mr. Kelley,” Mr. Shaw says, offering his hand to shake.

Emi closes the door behind them, and John can sense that she relaxes as blessed silence washes over her.

Spoiler: Notice TN 10
    Show
    As Emi closes the door, John notices just the slightest micro expression of surprise on Mr. Shaw’s face. It’s just the smallest raise of his eyebrows at the sudden quiet of the psychic energy around them.

After his greeting, Mr. Shaw takes in the Chamber of Doors. “Thank you for having us. Emi’s told me small snippets about this place, and I’ll admit I’m more than a little intrigued.”
    Spoiler: Woo Hoo! He noticed!
    Show

Hi, he barely managed at the sight of Emi while instinct kept his body in motion long enough to drag his attention back to her father.

He stepped forward to shake Mr. Shaw’s hand.

Was that a flicker of surprise? Pleasure? Interest? As he just said, intrigue?

I’ll take any of them.

The tone of his voice indicates it isn’t disappointment or anger.

It may be enough to explain why I kept it a secret from him when surprising Emi with it.

Play it cool.

But not that cool.

Sigh.

Just talk casual.

“The pleasure is all ours, I assure you,” John replied, trying to channel his father’s approach — even if his nervous excitement over this actually happening was causing him to speak a hint too quickly. “My family is thrilled you’s be joining us for Sunday Pot Roast after a quick tour of the Spire, if you would like one.

“Before we begin the tour, though, there is someone else here who has been excited to meet you. You have seen one outer expression of her before but you haven’t had an opportunity to speak. Clea, this is Mr. Shaw. Please accord him all the courtesies of the Spire”

“Recognized: Alister Shaw, code name Eidolon. Associate of Myriad and a host of other organizations with special access granted by AEGIS — permissions set above your ability to set, provisional,” she teased. “And, most importantly, the father of Mark Two’s particular friend. You are, as John’s father would say, very welcome, Mr. Shaw. Please enjoy your time here at the Spire.

“And, as always, I’m happy to see you, particular friend.”

“Thank you, as always, Clea,” John offered with a bemused smile, uncertain what else he should have expected from her. “In addition to Clea, the Spire is staffed by a number of Serving Spirits — Pinky, who you may remember from the Hallowe’en party, is usually around somewhere — and is occasionally visited by entities most often referred to as the Fates. The blowhole at the base of the tower, when it is calm, is one of the pools they occasionally use to watch those things that attract their interest.

“I chose the location in part because it did not overlap with any other known magical territories and because of its relative isolation. Emi mentioned how she finds peace while out over the Atlantic in your family jet.”

When did that concept become one he could drop in conversation casually?

“I thought it might be nice for her to have access to a more stable location where she could come and find that kind of peace. I, um. I hope you don’t mind too much that I kept that as a surprise for her.

“In truth, I consider myself fortunate in finding it,” John explained as he led them towards the Great Hall, John tried to sense if Emi was comfortable in his taking his had in front of her father while here. No need to commit some kind of faux pas this early in the evening. “It was mentioned in a single Icelandic Epic as the exile location for an Icelandic sorcerer who, following his discovery, told on the definite article and began styling himself The Norn. While the pre-Christian society had been more tolerant of magic in general, his willingness to curse, kill, and animate the dead — including creating the Hrökkáll that come to the volcanic caldera at the foot of the Spire, made him too many enemies and they brought him here in chains.

“I haven’t been able to determine if they were specifically made to bind him, if they were the first recorded instance of something like a nullifier, or if they were merely mundane chains. The notes he was writing to be made into his own Saga after he punished the people of Iceland indicated he threw them into the caldera.

“Perhaps,” he said, half to himself, “I should look for them someday.”

You’re falling into ‘liking the sound of your own voice’ mode, John.

“Anyway,” he continued as they entered the Great Hall, lit by the magical fire, “all he could do was gather what the sea tossed up in the blowhole at the base of the Sprite and draw in the occasional ship that went off course. His throng of undead were primarily drawn from a U-Boat crew, based on their uniforms.”

You’re still in that mode.

“That an entire formal dining room suite made its way here makes me thing some of the choicer pieces were from those ships that had gone off course.”

Change tack, man!

“We’ll probably install an actual kitchen through there,” he added, nodding to a hallway and trying not to wince at his presumptive use of the plural as he led them to towards the sideboard. Not the direction of change he should have gone. “While the Sampo can provide any food requested of it,” he said, summoning three demitasse cups of Belgian hot chocolate, “I don’t think she would want to surrender manual cooking entirely.”

Good. Mention of Mom might cover the first person plural.

Might.

Get ahold of yourself, John, he thought, risking a quick glance at Emi.

I’m babbling again, aren’t I?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, John. He can hear things like that.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-17 at 09:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1329

AssassinGuy

December 4th
    Keith- Command Room
    Harbinger looks back at his laptop and shakes his head. “These are Director after actions. They’re only done by me and Seraph, with some help from Mimi and Eva. Thanks for the offer though.”

He sighs heavily and starts to say something else but thinks better of it before returning to the current conversation. “After tonight, I think it would be wise to get Aeryn checked out. With him being an alien, we don’t really know how his powers work, and nullifiers don’t work on him. I’d prefer him to get looked at by Alistair, for Emi’s safety, but I get that he would be more comfortable not having Eidolon poke around in his head.”
    Keith nodded as Harbinger explained. "Anything to try and ease some of the burden on y'all." He replies.

As the older angel explains a bit more about what he knows of Aeryn's powers, Keith takes it all in. Thankfully someone shared his fears about asking Emi. Even if it wasn't because of his actions, if something happened to her while poking around in Aeryn's head then........

Well, John, Eidolon, Grayson, Ian, probably Seraph, and Harbinger would blame him for even asking. May as well just buy himself a casket then.

"That was my thought too. Would rather not get blamed for it as well if there is something to this theory." He grimaced, then looked back up at Harbinger. "I can see about talking Aeryn into seeing Eidolon instead. Especially with a potential danger for Emi. Not being able to hide anything from someone who can just break down mental barriers, it's unsettling."

Keith thinks for a moment and then sighs. "Guess on that plan, between everyone else on our teams, I'm closest to an alien that can understand." He looked up at the ceiling, then back down at his superior.

"Would also chat with Seraph about this but, tomorrow morning I'll contact someone else we had in the Empire and see what we may be able to find out to build on what we found out today." He looks at the ground and takes a deep breath. "If they even answer, anything specifically you'd like me to ask?"

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Simple Truths:

Nightgaunt looks at the wrecked car and family again, visualizing what must have happened. He turns his head back towards the warehouse, where the cage of light would have ended their lives.

The vampire plants his hands on his hips and looks back at Anima. "Anima. You did something I couldn't. You saved those people. A few bumps and bruises and a insurance claim is nothing. Besides, in a couple months, this'll be a cool story about how they got to see some heroes at work up close."

Safely hidden behind his helmet, Raphael purses his lips, not sure if that was the right way to convey the notion to his monstrous teammate.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 4th
    Cleanup
    “I suppose you’re right,” Anima replies. She stands up to her full height, towering over the vampire.

The kid that the paramedics aren’t currently checking out gapes at the two of them and Anima quickly turns away and starts to head back toward the warehouse to check in with Redline.

“I don’t believe you, by the way,” she says, looking back at him. “I know you could’ve saved them.”

Keith- Command Room
    “Seraph’s not feeling too good,” Harbinger grumbles. “I kinda doubt you’ll see him tomorrow.”

The angel shakes his head at Keith’s question. “I can’t think of anything right now,” he says, looking back at his laptop.

December 5th
    The Spire
    Mr. Shaw inclines his head slightly as Clea speaks. “A pleasure, Clea.”

Emi greets Clea as well as they head toward the Great Hall. She sees John’s eyes flick to her hand and he can see her lips quirk up into a smile.

As John speaks about the history of the Spire, Mr. Shaw is obviously intrigued and asks occasional questions about its history and about the Sanpo as the hot chocolate manifests.

Emi slides her hand into his as they pause by the table.

You’re doing fine, John, Emi says, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. He likes this kind of thing.

Mr. Shaw’s words do pause just a moment, not quite enough to be noticeable as John slips up with his use of the plural, but smoothly continues the conversation.

He follows his daughter and John through the rest of the tour of the Spire with his arms clasped behind his back, taking in what John has done to the place.

“This place is impressive, Mr. Kelley,” he says. “When we aren’t pressed for time, I may ask to explore the place. However, I’d rather not keep your family waiting. Shall we?”

12. - Top - End - #1332

OldWizardGuy

“This place is impressive, Mr. Kelley,” he says. “When we aren’t pressed for time, I may ask to explore the place. However, I’d rather not keep your family waiting. Shall we?”
    There was a hint of light from around the back door.

“Incoming,” Joe joked as the family, who had been unable to leave the area, came back towards the door.

“We’re here,” John announced in an almost but not quite relaxed voice. “Mom, Dad: I’d like you to meet Emi’s father, Mister Alistair Shaw. Mr. Shaw,” he continued a little nervously, “these are my parents, Joe and Mary Kelley.”

Joe clapped his hand on John’s shoulder. “Everyone knows who he is, John,” he said with a smile as he tried to cover for his son’s nerves and extended his hand to his guest. “Joe Kelley. It’s a pleasure to meet you again, Alistair. I was one of what probably felt like hundreds you shook hands with in Berlin a few years back. This is my wife Mary.

“Thank you for coming to our home, Alistair. You are very welcome here — all the more so because it means your daughter has come again.” She smiled and slipped past him to give Emi a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek. “It’s lovely to see you again, dear.”

“Let me introduce the kids to you before they steal your daughter,” Joe added conspiratorially to Alistair. “This is Kate, my second oldest.”

“Good evening, Mr. Shaw,” Kate said as she stepped forward and extended her hand in a polished manner with just a hint of a curtesy. “We are so glad to have you with us this evening.”

Spoiler: Kate’s Thoughts
    Show
    Emi’shereEmi’shereEmi’shere!

And her world-famous, superhero father.

ButEmi’shereEmi’shereEmi’shere!

I need to be on my best behavior with him. Emi mentioned he appreciates that John has been proper and polite.

Proper and polite probably does not include his aiding and abetting attempts to get John.

Still, I wonder if he would enjoy playing with us. It would almost be unfair to deploy him against John. The way her big brother stood relative to him signaled he could get him almost as easily as Emi could. But involving a (quasi-)sister felt fairer than a father figure.

Oh, sure: It was fair to use their own father as a kind of rock to try and pin John against but this would be different. It would be almost unfair.

Almost.

We need to take John shopping, she considered with a hint of disapproval before her mind turned somewhat conspiratorial.

Or convince someone else to do so.

He was doing well with Emi — even with whatever happened to Radke — but John clearly still needed her and Jefferey’s help.

“And in order of birth, this is Jefferey Novas — a friend of the family so close that we think of him as one of us. The same holds true of Kate with his parents.”

“It’s a pleasure, Mr. Shaw,” Jefferey offered. “Bo…John’s given us glowing testimonials about you but I have to confess that they may have fallen short.”

Spoiler: Jefferey’s Thoughts
    Show
    A dressy but casual look for this evening — even if his tailored blazer is Ferragamo and jeans are Armani — total cost would probably pay for a semester of room and board at RISD. But he wears it lightly — unlike the way Chaaahhhhddd will try to make a show of his designer clothes. Mr. Shaw, in contrast, is balancing respect for the house with respect for its family’s ambiance while staying tres, tres chic.

I had wondered if he could pull off a similar style to his uniform. Seeing him in person, I think he could do the Mandarin collar — perhaps something off-center with the jacket so as not to look too avant-garde while still not being too regimented. A open bottom to the jacket with a hint of the 18th Century? That might break the colonizer vibe a straight hem at the waist might invoke with such a jacket. Definitely in a slightly different shade of grey than John wears — closer to an iridescent pearl. That would pick up his eyes and shift them slightly towards the sea and stormy sky.

His son, like his daughter, would look good in anything. He meets that standard as well and the Shaw family does scream for something a cut above.

And Emi? Stunning as always in a chic little Sézane Sami knit dress, high boots, and Alexander McQueen jacket — not that we are likely to leave the house but the look is fantastic and practical for visiting the Spire.

I hope she likes what I’ve done for her.

But Boyfriend, Boyfriend, Boyfriend! You need to give them the impression that you own more than one shirt suitable for these occasions.

“And this is Stephen — the musician of the family,” Joe said, completing the introductions without laying stress on his being the youngest in the hope it would bolster Stephen’s visibly flagging confidence. “We got to hear him and Emi play a little on one of her prior visits. It was enough to make me want to arrange for them to rehearse together.”

Spoiler: Stephen’s Thoughts
    Show
    Baritone with hints of bass with a score somewhere in between John Williams and Danny Elfman.

He still could not pinpoint John’s score. He was too familiar. Emi’s still remained variable — perhaps because it was too tied up with John’s as they moved toward a growing harmonization.

But Eidolon’s? That theme was clear to anyone with the ears to hear.

Quite unexpectedly, he felt younger than his sixteen years in the presence of one of the world’s foremost heroes. It was now abundantly clear to him that, despite her fame, he had started off thinking of Emi as John’s girlfriend — his serious (and seriously beautiful) girlfriend — and not the Siren.

John’s first girlfriend.

By some miracle, he was doing well with Emi and Stephen didn’t want to screw that up for his older brother.

But with Eidolon, he was meeting one of the most powerful and respected heroes in the world — a man who had saved the world.

More than once.

It was worse than that, though.

John had mentioned that Emi came from a musical family but Stephen didn’t see any of the telltale signs of a serious musician on Mr. Shaw — no calluses on his fingers or marks of a wind instrument on his lips. Keyboard? Possibly but there was something about his fingers that didn’t seem quite right for that — although he could not say what it was that marked that difference.

Or maybe Eidolon played instruments with the power of his mind! He had no way of relating to that.

He had been counting on musicality as a way of somehow relating to the Eidolon — of saying anything that didn’t sound adolescent (even if he was) or idiotic.

The seriousness and respect that crept into John’s voice when he spoke of Eidolon had set him a little on edge — not to mention how much the family clearly wanted this dinner to go well.

He didn’t want to be the one to make the faux pas — even as he watched Jefferey and Kate maneuvering around to grab Emi and whisk her upstairs.

It was a simple enough plan — which was so very unlike his sister.

She had to be planning something else.

Maybe Emi got her musicality from her mother — who John had studiously not mentioned. Mom had warned him to be cautious of mentioning her because of that.

“If you will excuse us, Mr. Shaw,” Kate said taking Emi’s hand. “We would like to borrow your daughter for a time. It’s very close to the end of the semester and we want see how Jefferey’s projects have turned out.

“Besides,” Kate continued winsomely, drawing Emi towards the back stairs, “I know Dad isn’t going to be able to resist showing you around and we would only get in the way by staying under foot. But by the time you get to the top floor, we may have something to show you.”

“And there will be plenty of time before dinner,” John added as Kate turned towards him, picking up the knife by the top of the blade before passing it to his other hand. “I haven’t had a chance to fix the salad.”

Kate gave the short huff and wry smile she always did when John countered her next move (She was so looking forward to announcing that someone here isn’t allowed to see the dresses yet.) before turning to Emi with sparkling eyes. “Come on! I can’t wait for you to see them!”

Mary smiled at John’s subtle nod to his being flustered the first time he brought Emi to dinner before returning to her cooking. Even under these conditions, he could stay a step ahead of his sister.

“Let me show you around, Alistair,” Joe offered, leaning in to his commitment to treat Alistair like any other guest. “I’d hate to have Kate think I’ve become unpredictable in my advancing middle age.”

“Don’t keep him too long, Joe. I’m putting you in charge of the wine this evening, Alistair. John placed the order for us but I’m told you are the real expert here this evening.

“And if the reports of the quality of your cooking are even half of what John says they are, I may ask you to lend a hand with some of the final preparations. At least I won’t have to worry about you picking up the knife by the wrong end.”

“John also placed an order for some good Scotch and my favorite Irish Whiskey,” Joe added conspiratorially. “It’s here in the office, if you would like something to hold on to during the tour.”

13. - Top - End - #1333

AssassinGuy

December 4th
    Keith- Command Room
    “Seraph’s not feeling too good,” Harbinger grumbles. “I kinda doubt you’ll see him tomorrow.”

The angel shakes his head at Keith’s question. “I can’t think of anything right now,” he says, looking back at his laptop.
    "I see," Keith said as he looked back at the ground. First things first, he'll ask about the sigil he saw. Then, about dear old sister. The word still burned like poison in his mind.

"Alrighty. Thank you, Harbinger. I appreciate you taking the time for this." Keith said as he stood back up. "I'll write up a note with what they give me in the morning, if anything. G'night."

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Misplaced Confidence:

Nightgaunt stares at Anima as she retreats from the public eye.

Originally posted by Anima

“I don’t believe you, by the way,” she says, looking back at him. “I know you could’ve saved them.”
    The vampire crosses his arms and sets his shoulders, looking back at the wrecked car.

"I think she sees something in me I don't." Nightgaunt mutters quietly to Miss Menagerie. "Ready to head home?"

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 4th
    Cleanup
    “If it needed to be done, you would’ve found a way,” Menagerie answers. “They may have come out with more than a few scratches, but I think you could’ve found a way to save them too. It just may been… plus rugueux.”

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    Rougher

“I’ll need to teleport back,” she says. “Shrike isn’t recovered enough to fly. Shall we?”

If Nightgaunt agrees, Menagerie chants her spell and they reappear back on the roof of the base. She sways slightly on her feet, but catches herself before she falls. “Just a little dizzy. It usually passes quickly.”

December 5th
    Providence
    “A pleasure to meet you again,” Mr. Shaw says as he shakes Joe’s hand. He gives Mary a winning smile as he greets her. “Your house is lovely, and something smells divine. Emi spoke to me about your pot roast and I can’t wait to try it myself.”

Emi smiles as Mary kisses her cheek. “Thank you, Mrs. Kelley. I’m happy to be back.” She has a slight hesitation before she briefly hugs John’s mom.

Mr. Shaw greets each of the kids, prim and proper as always. He pauses on Stephen. “Emi mentioned that you played part of a Fuchs piece with her that last time she visited. She was impressed by your sight reading.”

He smiles slightly as Mary mentions him being in charge of wine and assisting with dinner. “I’m flattered. Of course, I’ll be happy to help, Mary.”

When Joe ushers him away, Mr. Shaw agrees to the stop in the office. “I can never say no to some good Scotch. Lead the way.”

Upstairs, Emi smiles to Kate. “Oh, I can’t wait to see these in person.”

16. - Top - End - #1336

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence
    Emi smiles as Mary kisses her cheek. “Thank you, Mrs. Kelley. I’m happy to be back.” She has a slight hesitation before she briefly hugs John’s mom.
    If there is a small sense of accomplishment in Mary’s emotional response — an acknowledgement of something going to plan, it is far less pronounced than the growing maternal affection for Emi when she receives her hug. Kate noticeably bounces in joy at the sight.

Mr. Shaw greets each of the kids, prim and proper as always. He pauses on Stephen. “Emi mentioned that you played part of a Fuchs piece with her that last time she visited. She was impressed by your sight reading.”
    “She’s kind to say so,” Stephen replies, still nervous but more than a little flattered by the compliment. “She’s quite accomplished and I was pleased I could keep up.”

It wasn’t entirely false modesty. Stephen knew he was better than good but with Emi, he felt he found someone who had access to the same kind of talent he did and had the kind of training to hone that skill. As good as his friends were, and as much as he enjoyed playing with them, the duet with Emi had required him to work on a different level and not just get by on his talent.

That she had thought enough of it to mention it to the Eidolon was almost overwhelming.

When Joe ushers him away, Mr. Shaw agrees to the stop in the office. “I can never say no to some good Scotch. Lead the way.”
    Third Floor
    Upstairs, Emi smiles to Kate. “Oh, I can’t wait to see these in person.”
    “Now this is exactly why every woman in my class gives the form I am working with a dirty look when they pass by it,” Jefferey said to Kate, eminently pleased with the way his designs turned out. “Even knowing the measurements they have surreptitiously tried to take, they have no idea.

“And neither does Boyfriend,” he added smugly. “If I had to miss our little trick last time, I absolutely must see his reaction to you in this.”

Kate looked at her with delight. “You look even more stunning than you did on your surprise outing in Manhattan.”

“Everyone in the class wanted to talk about it,” Jefferey added. “It completely overshadowed Boyfriend’s Saville Row tailor-made tuxedo. He may not have your father’s presence but it’s still an impressive look for him. But they barely even noticed Boyfriend beyond begrudgingly conceding that it was appropriate attire for someone squiring you about the city.”

“Speaking of which,” Kate added with a hint of disapproval. “As much as I am sure Jefferey is happy to see John still likes the shirt we got for him last Christmas…”

“It does still amazing things for his eyes,” Jefferey conceded begrudgingly.

“True,” Kate replied with a business-like nod. “But as special as it is and as much as he clearly associates it with important events with you, we need to find him a new shirt — preferably more than one.”

“Mister Monochrome may defend himself by saying he always knows he will match but he should work on at least an occasional change of color.”

“Now,” Kate continued in her business-like manner, “Jefferey and I could probably convince him to gate us down to Iron Station to drag him through a few stores and find something new for him but our appearance there might draw attention from the paparazzi.

“This is where you come in, Emi,” Kate concluded, pleased as punch with the simplicity of her plan to advance Emi’s sense of domestic partnership with John. Going clothes shopping together would help keep John in a different category than Radke. “Jefferey can look online and give you some hints….”

“I have a folder of images for him,” Jefferey confessed as he eyed the dress for symmetry. “I probably shouldn’t have started with the more daring pieces the last time we tried to help Boyfriend with his image before he left for London.”

“And then you can take him there. Given what I’ve seen, you should be able to convince him of something. Anything. Then you will have at least two options of shirts to see him in on these occasions.”

“You have no idea how much we have been needing Boyfirend to have a girlfriend to help us with this,” Jefferey confided. “And please get him at least to try on one pair of shorts. I know we don’t get as warm near the coast here in New England but his covering up those biker’s legs all the time is a crime against anyone with even a passing interest in the male physique.”

17. - Top - End - #1337

OldWizardGuy

Providence, The Kelley House, The Second Floor
    “And this is the second floor. Across the way there is Mary’s and my room while this is the combination guest room and library. It’s been useful over the years when one of the kids want to put some distance between themselves and their siblings to do some reading but not be as inaccessible to the family as they would be in their rooms. The space can be quickly converted into a guest room — one that you and your son would be welcome to use, should the opportunity or need arise — although,” he added with a winning smile, “I would understand if you found some of the five star accommodations downtown more suited to your tastes.

“Just behind here off the back stair is the puzzle landing. We usually have a puzzle going out there and sometimes will gather around to talk and work on it. John was excited for us to see how proficient Emi is at puzzle solving the last time she was here.”

Joe’s memory flickered back to his son’s pride and his daughter’s delight as Emi showed them how she could use her telekinetics to find and place pieces. They had not been able to linger — the two of them had to get back to Iron Station so that John and Emi could help protect the city over the Thanksgiving holiday.

But his own travels and the tragedies he had seen had taught Joe how to treasure the moments with his family — however brief they might be.

“I don’t have to tell you of all people that you have raised a rare and special woman, Alistair. But I did want to mention how much we think of her and enjoy the time she can spend with us. And,” he said, raising his glass of Red Breast 27 whiskey to the other father in the room, hoping he would raise his glass of Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 year whisky in return, “how flattered you are to have agreed to come and join us tonight.”

The First Floor
    “What’s wrong, Stephen?” John asked as his younger brother refolded the napkins at the table. Setting the table was always Stephen’s job and he had never seen his brother re-fold and reposition napkins he had already placed.

Stephen glanced to where he could hear the his father explain that the second floor sitting room doubled as a guest room and offering it to Mr. Shaw should he ever come to visit.

“John,” Stephen hissed, “Dad’s upstairs inviting frickin’ Eidolon and Esper to come and stay in our guest room. Eidolon. I know you’re used to him and all but I…. It’s a little intimidating.”

Out of the corner of his eye, John saw his mother shake her head and smile benignly at her youngest son’s reaction.

“He’s Mister Shaw tonight, Stephen,” John gently reminded him. “I personally find that intimidating enough to focus on.”

“I don’t want to mess things up for you,” Stephen admitted.

“You won’t, Stephen,” John assured him. “Trust me: I’m quite capable of doing that all by myself at a far more dramatic level than you have access to. Emi and I managed to weather our first fight — which will likely not be our last. If accidentally giving her the impression I was about to kill one of her best friends can be worked through, I’m pretty sure your best faux pas with her father won’t end things for me.”

He could feel his mother’s look upon him.

“But that’s a story for a different time,” he quickly added, keeping his eyes rigidly fixed on his brother. “Just be yourself. I wouldn’t have him know anyone but the real you.”

“Thanks, John,” Stephen replied uncertainly. “I’ll try.”

“And we’ll talk about your dramatic encounter with Mr. Radke some other time,” his mother added with a mildness that made John and Stephen wince. “Perhaps that encounter might explain some of his new demeanor? The Sirenas are all a-flutter over it.”

Great, John thought. A gaggle of obsessed adolescents with access to the internet monitoring him. He’d be lucky for his secret identity to hold until Christmas.

“Sorry,” Stephen apologized with a wry smile. “You know how Lilly gets and she thinks Laurel has a direct line for information about Emi through me now.”

“That I can understand,” John responded in a stage whisper. “But you could have done a better job keeping me out of trouble with Mom.”

“Yeah, good luck with that,” Stephen bantered back. “You’re the death-defying superhero. I’m just the musical prodigy.”

“Like either of those titles gives us a fighting chance,” John quipped conspiratorially.

Mary smiled to herself while studiously ignoring them both, satisfied, at least for now, that her suspicions were at least within the ballpark about her talented firstborn son being the ultimate source of Grayson Radke’s transformation.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-20 at 10:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    After Introductions
    “Ah, before I forget,” Mr. Shaw says before he presents the black box he’s been holding to Mary. “A small token of my appreciation. Thank you for inviting us to your home tonight.”

The box is slightly heavier than expected when Mary takes it. She hears the light tinking sound of glass from within.

Third Floor
    “Oh, Jefferey,” Emi says as she turns in a slow circle in front of the mirror. “It’s beautiful. I love the color blue you chose.”

She smiles as she recalls how John had looked that night in Manhattan. “I thought he was quite dashing. His tailor does good work.”

“I can do that,” she agrees. “As much as I do like that shirt, you’re both right. He does need some variety in his wardrobe,” Emi says with a joking roll of her eyes. “I’ll take him shopping when we have some time.”

She turns again, checking the fit of the dress in the back. “It’s not often we get more than a hour or two just to us,” she continues, more subdued. “There’s always something happening in the city that needs our attention.”

Second Floor
    “Your house has charm and character,” Mr. Shaw says as he takes in the library. He gives Joe a quick smile. “It makes me long for my own home. It’s been far too long since I’ve been back to London and had the chance to decompress. I’m particularly fond of your puzzle landing. While Ian could never participate with his telekinesis, Emi and I spent many long hours putting together all manner of puzzles. It was good training, of course, but I always loved seeing Emi’s excitement when she finally saw what the final image was.”

“She has indeed grown into a fine young woman,” he replies before he raises his glass to Joe. His voice lowers, so that it no longer carries to the lower floor. “I feel like I have been absent from her life for too long. I can see how excited and happy she is with your son, so when she hesitantly reach out to ask me to attend tonight, I was more than happy to say yes.”

“Thank you for making her feel welcome,” he says sincerely, meeting Joe’s gaze.

19. - Top - End - #1339

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    After Introductions
    “Ah, before I forget,” Mr. Shaw says before he presents the black box he’s been holding to Mary. “A small token of my appreciation. Thank you for inviting us to your home tonight.”

The box is slightly heavier than expected when Mary takes it. She hears the light tinking sound of glass from within.
    “How kind of you, Alastair,” Mary says, taking the box with more than a little curiosity. “It was entirely unnecessary, of course. You and your daughter’s presence here this evening is gift enough.”

Mary opens the box, wondering what lay within and curious if there were a test of sorts that came with the gift. Turn about, after all, is more than fair play.

The work she had done meditating since before meeting Emi — learning to focus tightly on the here and now so as to not reveal too much of her plan of campaign to fold her into the family — faltered a little as she carefully lifted the teapot out of the box. The little girl that still was within her had loved tea sets and had been delighted the year her mother had given her one Christmas, sent over from Ireland by family that still lived there.

Kate had played with that set as she grew up, she recalled. Her daughter would enjoy seeing this gift — after she was finished showing Emi the dresses Jefferey had so skillfully made.

“How lovely,” she breathed, studying it in the kitchen light. “I hope you are ready to tell me which one of these we should make after dinner,” she added, looking at the containers of tea still within the box. “While John’s a quick study, he’s spent more time in coffee shops than tea houses growing up.”

She turned and smiled at the lovely, pitch-perfect, homey gift. “Thank you, Alistair.”

Third Floor
    “Oh, Jefferey,” Emi says as she turns in a slow circle in front of the mirror. “It’s beautiful. I love the color blue you chose.”

She smiles as she recalls how John had looked that night in Manhattan. “I thought he was quite dashing. His tailor does good work.”

“I can do that,” she agrees. “As much as I do like that shirt, you’re both right. He does need some variety in his wardrobe,” Emi says with a joking roll of her eyes. “I’ll take him shopping when we have some time.”

She turns again, checking the fit of the dress in the back. “It’s not often we get more than a hour or two just to us,” she continues, more subdued. “There’s always something happening in the city that needs our attention.”
    “It makes it all the more special for us when the two of you come here,” Kate added, her mood beginning to match Emi’s. While she had reconciled herself somewhat to the thought that graduation might separate them — especially if the NSA or some similar agency tried to recruit John for his mathematical skills, it had not made the thought of separating the family any easier.

Her mood brightened at the thought that it might mean an expansion of their family to include Emi — something she had not envisioned — and that her brother’s control of the Spire meant the separations might not be as long as they might otherwise have been.

Even if, she thought as she watched Jefferey double check the placement of the eye hook at the back of the dress (He had worried that John’s inexperience might tug at the threads when he helped Emi into the dress. How odd that his professional considerations almost erased other possibilities.), such gatherings were under the watchful eye of Clea, who she was not sure she would be able to conspire with.

She had never tried to work with an actual AI before. She knew her parents had access to a more than usually advanced LLM to monitor their security but the look of surprise on Dad’s face and near alarm on her Mother’s when they were introduced was confirmation enough that they had never encountered a true AI before.

She wasn’t sure how comfortable she was about Clea watching her every move — even if it meant John would be watched over.

“You may not get much time,” Jefferey said quietly as he stepped back, inspecting his work. “But Boyfriend relishes every moment of it. That much is more than clear. He almost started bouncing like his sister here does when he talked about you before your visit. Don’t tell him I said so. He got his fair share of ‘need to be in control’ from Momma Two.

Just like his sister, here,” he teased.

Kate instinctively stuck out her tongue at him like she had done since they met as kids before remembering Emi was in the room.

“Not the most ladylike response, was it?” Kate asked as she blushed.

Second Floor
    “Your house has charm and character,” Mr. Shaw says as he takes in the library. He gives Joe a quick smile. “It makes me long for my own home. It’s been far too long since I’ve been back to London and had the chance to decompress. I’m particularly fond of your puzzle landing. While Ian could never participate with his telekinesis, Emi and I spent many long hours putting together all manner of puzzles. It was good training, of course, but I always loved seeing Emi’s excitement when she finally saw what the final image was.”

“She has indeed grown into a fine young woman,” he replies before he raises his glass to Joe. His voice lowers, so that it no longer carries to the lower floor. “I feel like I have been absent from her life for too long. I can see how excited and happy she is with your son, so when she hesitantly reach out to ask me to attend tonight, I was more than happy to say yes.”

“Thank you for making her feel welcome,” he says sincerely, meeting Joe’s gaze.
    “The pleasure is all ours,” Joe replied, matching Alistair’s volume as he recalled his long absences while in Bosnia the year before John was born and Afghanistan on and off for much of his children’s young lives — times were John increasingly tried to shoulder the burdens of helping with all the tasks required in making a house a home. Those, coupled with a host of other, shorter trips to places like Berlin and the Horn of Africa, had kept him away from his family far more than he wished.

Joe didn’t want to imagine the burdens that Alastair had shouldered that had kept him away. Building infrastructure in the aftermath of conflict and running a civil engineering business weren’t easy tasks but they did not require saving the entire world.

Just small parts of it.

But it mattered to the people who lived and loved in those small places.

John was lucky to have figures like Alastair Shaw, Seraph, and Harbinger nearby to guide him. Yes, he could still ask his old man for generic advice but these were mentors who could show him the ropes without his having to enter the spirit world to try and find Doctor Dee and Edward Kelley.

“It’s great to hear she’s still excited,” he added, taking a sip of his whiskey. “I have to admit it’s strange to see John flustered — although it provides no end of entertainment for Kate, who’s been trying to catch him flat footed about something since she was five or six. While I am trying to make a point of not crowding them, please feel free to tag along any time you wish to join her on a visit here if you want to add some more time with her.”

His mind drifted back to Kate and Emi perched on the kitchen counter together as he made pancakes for the family.

“My work may not be as dramatic as yours, but I know a little of what it’s like to be away from your children while they are growing up. You might be making the world a better place for them, but it’s still time you don’t get back.

“As Mary said,” he continued, “you’re very welcome here.

“It may not be Knightsbridge,” he said, recalling one of the notes Mary had made when she was wrapping her head around the thought of her firstborn dating Emi, “but you don’t have to worry about being Eidolon here.”

His smile took on a hint of mischief and a mirthful sparkle appeared in his eye. “Being Emi’s dad while my wife and daughter conspire to keep her with John is more than enough for you and me to worry about anyway.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-23 at 11:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    After Introductions
    “You are more than welcome, Mary,” Alistair replies with a gentle smile. “Might I recommend the ginger orange? It’s one of my favorites for a small cup after dinner.”

Third Floor
    “I know he does,” Emi says with a soft smile. “I don’t need to be able to read his thoughts to know that. He’s very sweet.”

She laughs lightly at Kate’s reaction. “You don’t need to be a perfect lady all the time. Especially not among friends.”

“Are you happy, Jefferey?” she asks. “Shall we show this one to John?”

Second Floor
    “I appreciate the offer,” Mr. Shaw replies, taking a sip of his scotch. “I will try to remember to remain Alistair rather than Eidolon while I’m here. Easier said than done, of course.” The psychic gives the other father a quick smile.

“I’ll admit,” he continues, keeping his voice low, “your son is one of my favorite suitors that my daughter has had. I think she chose well. And your family is lovely. It’s refreshing to see such a complete family unit.”

21. - Top - End - #1341

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Third Floor
    “I know he does,” Emi says with a soft smile. “I don’t need to be able to read his thoughts to know that. He’s very sweet.”

She laughs lightly at Kate’s reaction. “You don’t need to be a perfect lady all the time. Especially not among friends.”

“Are you happy, Jefferey?” she asks. “Shall we show this one to John?”
    Happy? He was sure to impress Professor Morgan with this. The Pink Investigator might have leaned towards her signature color but there was something about the blue that made it feel right.

Good thing she didn’t have a magic wand or he would be looking at a Sleeping Beauty moment and Boyfriend might have to intervene.

“I am delighted, Emi,” he beamed. “The only thing missing is a tiara and you’d outshine Disney’s full set of princesses.”

“We could try and surprise him again,” Kate suggested. “He would be prepared for it if we were to call him up.”

She looked slyly at Emi, knowing she would tell her if it was going too far.

“If your father were to call him upstairs — perhaps to ask about the presentation display of his honorary baseball letter — then he might be sufficiently distracted by formulating some kind of speech to try and impress him that he would not be ready to see you at the top of the stairs again.”

Jefferey shook his head as the next round of ‘getting John’ began to play out before him. “You know I should be stepping in to try and rescue Boyfriend from your machinations.”

“Think of it as a training exercise,” Kate replied, trying to gauge Emi’s willingness to join in the game. “Dad’s been pushing situational awareness on us all our lives. Besides: You missed the fun last time.”

She looked at Emi again and her smile shifted to delight at the sight of the woman he hoped would be her sister. “Although they way you look, I think we could warn him and he would still react the same way.”

Second Floor
    “I appreciate the offer,” Mr. Shaw replies, taking a sip of his scotch. “I will try to remember to remain Alistair rather than Eidolon while I’m here. Easier said than done, of course.” The psychic gives the other father a quick smile.

“I’ll admit,” he continues, keeping his voice low, “your son is one of my favorite suitors that my daughter has had. I think she chose well. And your family is lovely. It’s refreshing to see such a complete family unit.”
    Their choice, Joe reminded himself — even if Alistair’s opinion of him gave him greater hope that it would all work out.

The world was too full of hardship. Seeing something like this bloom was precious.

And he was pretty sure that nothing would make the FPO happier than to have Emi stay a part of their lives.

“Your secret’s safe with me — even if it makes me proud of him to hear it.”

As were the hints to Alistair’s own family’s challenges. Mary had her suspicions about that — something involving John helping with Alistair’s wife. She had noted the scrubbing of the records and John’s shying away from the topic.

It had almost been enough to distract her from whatever it was she was planning. He knew his wife well enough to know that.

But she had warned everyone away from that mystery — a decision he agreed with entirely (and was grateful that it had not involved one of their discussions). If the Shaws wished to keep it quiet, the Kelleys would respect that.

“Fair warning about my boy, if it hasn’t been abundantly clear so far. He hasn’t got a lot of experience in this realm and is likely to make some honest blunders — likely based on research into statistical averages. That kind of thing made him an asset to his high school baseball team but I don’t think it crosses over into romance well. Unless, that is, your daughter loves working through derivatives and proof sets.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-02-24 at 11:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Third Floor

Though she smiles, Emi shakes her head at Kate. “Not tonight, Kate. John’s been trying his best to impress my father since he met him, and I don’t want to embarrass him in front of him. It’s one thing in front of family, it’s another in front of your girlfriend’s father, you know?”

Second Floor
    Mr. Shaw smiles and huff a short laugh. “That she does not. They’ve already weathered one fight. Something that could break up many couples, so that’s at least out of the way.”

23. - Top - End - #1343

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Third Floor

Though she smiles, Emi shakes her head at Kate. “Not tonight, Kate. John’s been trying his best to impress my father since he met him, and I don’t want to embarrass him in front of him. It’s one thing in front of family, it’s another in front of your girlfriend’s father, you know?”
    Kate let out a deep sigh. Despite her suggestion, she already knew that trying to get John with the help of Emi’s father would have been a step too far. After all, her little game had been built up over a lifetime. The intricacies of such an interaction would be difficult to explain and would be asking a girlfriend's father to risk a level of familiarity (Especially, she had do admit to herself, when that was part of the goal.) than was strictly proper or appropriate at that moment.

No matter how perfect a trap for her big brother it was.

And it was perfect.

She was perfect!

It wasn’t that she didn’t (entirely) trust her brother with the situation but she had seen the way he looked at her and acted around her.

‘It will all work out,’ she could hear her father reassure her one night when her impatience was getting the better of her. ‘One way or another. We need to give them the space to figure these things out for themselves, Kate. It is their decision about their lives, after all — not ours. And while I’m sure your plans — and your mother’s — are made with the best of intentions, you have to learn to trust John in this situation.’

Easier said than done.

Focus, Kate.

"You're right," she admitted. "An ambush is probably more than we should inflict on John tonight"

"You can comfort yourself with the thought that, ambush or not," Jefferey said with mock comfort as he stepped back and presented Emi, "her spectacular appearance would cause a freight train to falter in its tracks.”

"True," Kate conceded. "And our little game would make it awkward to show Mom.

Kate affected a more prim and proper tone. "Shall we descend the stairs so that everyone else can experience the wonder of House Novas' latest fashion triumph? I haven’t heard our fathers on the stair yet. We’ll likely catch them in the guest room."

Second Floor
    Mr. Shaw smiles and huff a short laugh. “That she does not. They’ve already weathered one fight. Something that could break up many couples, so that’s at least out of the way.”
    Joe thought back to his and Mary's first fight — and the ones that followed — and all the hard lessons that came with them as he and she slowly mapped each other's mental minefields. While a part of him still believed the passions that came with his wife's hair color might have presented a different set of challenges than John would face, Joe was glad that his own missteps hadn’t being commented on by a group like the Sirenas while he tried to ward of a supernatural invasion.

A Kelley might be as good as any man, but every man had his fair share of flaws to put on display at awkward moments. But the way John looked at Emi was enough for him and Mary to know their son considered such things, at worst minor inconveniences.

“ I'm glad to hear they weathered it,” Joe replied with some relief. We could tell something was bothering him a little while ago but with his new life the possibilities were endless. " He half shrugged. " Mary know, of course. Her Daphne-like women's intuition or a mother's sense of things told her. "

Her shrewd sense of things was like that, Joe noted to himself in passing, the way one might acknowledge a long-familiar occurrence, like noting the tide was coming in when one should have known that would happen.

That said, he did sometimes wonder if his inclination to lean on Scooby Doo for metaphors had amplified his wife and children’s inclination towards meddling.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

And Then:

"Maybe." Nightgaunt answers Menagerie, unconvinced.

He gestures for her to go ahead and teleport them home. His head snaps sharply to the side when Menagerie stumbles. He takes her gently by the arm and pushes his helmet up. "Does that always happen? or are you pushing yourself more than you've let on?"

Later...

Raphael, changed into a plain black jersey and matching loose set of sweatpants, sat in front of the TV. Controller in hand, three empty silver bags on the table next to him, and a half-eaten platter of gamer fuel.

Onscreen, a figure in a leather coat trudged through hip-deep water in a foetid swamp. The figure held a torch over it's head, pitifully illuminating a small space around itself, and casting it's features in shadow. In it's other gloved hand it clenched a crook-handled axe.

A button press, and the digital hunter whispered a word that turned the screen monochrome as a pulse of detection rippled the water and air, extending out beyond the torchlight. Off in the distance of the greyscale world, a faint tinge of red amidst the white trees. Snarls of yellow and green in the branches overhead, and a blue mist at the bottom of the screen.

He'd been playing cat and mouse with this particular creature for the better part of 20 minutes.

Later than that.

The vampire stood in front of his closet, arms crossed in consternation. The open doors revealed a shallow, largely empty expanse... a half dozen jeans hung from the bottom rack, and the top rack had a single, olive drab t-shirt hanging from it.

Raphael wasn't just out of laundry. He was out of laundry.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    West Side Base Rooftop
    “I do get dizzy whenever I teleport,” Stella answers quickly. “It happened last time, remember?”

She starts to smile at him, but stops as another bout of vertigo hits her. Stella takes a deep breath once it passes before looking off to the side.

“Maybe I have been pushing myself,” she admits quietly. “I can feel the curse trying to drain my magic.”

Stella swallows as pressure builds on her throat, but it passes after a moment.

“I’ve also been asking Jaal for a lot of favors recently, so I’ve been giving a lot of magic to him too. I haven’t… taken the time to recover like I should.”

Lounge
    As Raphael plays Axes in the Night, Stella has attempted to stay up with him, but eventually succumbed to sleep. She’s curled up next to the vampire with her head butted up to his thigh on top of a small pillow.

Her breathing is light, and looking down, Raphael can see her hair has shifted, exposing her neck and the pulse thrumming within.

Providence, RI
    As Emi descends the stairs, Mr. Shaw smiles at his daughter. “You look beautiful,” he says quietly. “Mr. Novas, you’ve done a fine job.”

His heart seizes for a moment as memories of one of his wife’s last gala appearances surface. The shade of blue Emi was wearing was almost identical. The Shaw Reserve holds strong though, and his expression stays neutral as he finishes off the last sip of his scotch.

Spoiler: A quick aside between Alistair and Emi
    Show
    That’s your mother’s favorite color, Alistair projects to Emi.

I know. It’s one of mine too, she replies with a soft smile. Hopefully soon she’ll be able to see it.

We can hope. Alistair’s reply is quick and she senses the doubt there.

I believe in John, dad.

Alistair sighs. I know… I’m trying to as well.

Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-02-26 at 09:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1346

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    As Emi descends the stairs, Mr. Shaw smiles at his daughter. “You look beautiful,” he says quietly. “Mr. Novas, you’ve done a fine job.”

His heart seizes for a moment as memories of one of his wife’s last gala appearances surface. The shade of blue Emi was wearing was almost identical. The Shaw Reserve holds strong though, and his expression stays neutral as he finishes off the last sip of his scotch.

Spoiler: A quick aside between Alistair and Emi
    Show
    That’s your mother’s favorite color, Alistair projects to Emi.

I know. It’s one of mine too, she replies with a soft smile. Hopefully soon she’ll be able to see it.

We can hope. Alistair’s reply is quick and she senses the doubt there.

I believe in John, dad.

Alistair sighs. I know… I’m trying to as well.

Mary turned when she heard the knife John had been wielding on a cucumber clatter to the kitchen counter. She had heard the group descending on the front stairs and had spared a glance in that direction. Her eldest son had been successfully managing his salad-making duties even while he kept glancing at the archway that led to the stairs.

That was before Emi swept into the room, inspiring a simple “Woah,” from her youngest.

Alistair was a cypher but the others were easier to read.

There was a subtle delight on Emi’s radiant face, pleased perhaps as much by John’s reaction as the gown that Jefferey had made.

Kate, for all her attempt at composure, was too excited to hide her feelings about her friends and her brother.

Jefferey’s sense of well deserved accomplishment was clear — reinforced, perhaps, by the effect on John, whose fraternal approval he so highly valued.

John’s face had been lost to her as he turned to the door but his body language told her everything she needed to know — the awestruck love and vulnerability was there.

She had seen that in his father often enough over the years and had yet to tire of it. It, more than anything, was mute testimony to the promises he had made to her before, during, and after their moment before the altar.

Her eyes sought out his. She was unsurprised that they had been seeking her’s, looking to share in this moment of pride in his quasi-son’s work, his joy at this son’s experience of love, and his happiness of being able to share the moment with her.

She knew how much it cost him to miss others that had passed and how much he would value being here for this moment.

She toweled off her hands as she walked up to her eldest son’s side, shifting her gaze from her handsome husband to Emi.

“Say something, John,” she half teased.

“Hi,” he managed to get out.

It was all she could do to not laugh as she smiled with delight.

“It’s stunning, dear,” she said to Emi. “I’m sure John will agree once his mind gets back on track.”

“It shows an iron will that he could manage to say anything” Stephen added in his brother’s defense, hoping no one would suggest that Jefferey make something for Samantha. He wasn’t sure he would be able to pass that test.

John took a hesitating step forward. “It’s…I mean, I knew but…I wasn’t prepared.”

He looked down before lifting his head with a bashful smile.

“You look stunning,” he began before rolling his eyes a little. “Quite literally, it seems.”

His head turned slightly but he was unable to take his eyes off of her. “You did an amazing job, Jefferey — not that that comes as a surprise.”

“I could have draped her in a potato sack and she would have looked good,” he said, drinking in John’s reaction. “But I do think it turned out well.”

Watching the meeting unfold, Kate decided that it was, in fact, worth passing up the opportunity to get John. Perhaps Dad was right about them working it out for themselves after all.

Nevertheless, it still bore watching — if, for no other reason, than to be present at moments like this.

27. - Top - End - #1347

NinjaGuy

Mission Report
    Dec 4th

It isn't until ISPD begins filing into the warehouse that Redline allows himself to lower his guard, the sound of sirens paired with a swarm of officers in their trademark blues signaling the end of the operation.

"Mimi, put me through to Seraph please."

A pause.

"Indisposed?" Haven't heard her use that one before. "I didn't think angels could sick," the team lead replies in mild surprise. "I'll leave him a voicemail then."

"Hey Seraph, I heard you're a little under the weather at the moment but you'll be happy to hear that South Side op was a complete success with only suffering a single complication. Miraculously we pulled through with only a casualty or two but nothing that couldn't be treated by modern medicine and a few days rest." The hero sighs audibly, letting some of the weight of tonight's events fall from his shoulders. "We really needed this to go our way after what we've been through the last few months..."

The line is silent for a few moments before Redline speaks up again. "I guess I should let you get back to... bible study or whatever angels do to get over a cold. The team is in the process of returning to base as we speak. And don't worry about the paperwork, I'll fill out what I can while you rest up. Redline over and out."

"Hey Mimi, could you remind me to pick up some orange juice while I'm out tomorrow?" Louis asks as he turns to exit through the rift leading to the Spire.

Pencil Pushing
    West Side, Dec 5th - 2:00 AM

A single ray of light peeks through the crack in the doorway to Seraph's office illuminating a path for the mechanical wolf stalking the halls of the warehouse in the late hours of the night. Hinges creak under the weight of the wooden door as it's pried open with a muzzle.

The West Side team lead slowly turns around in his seat until he meets the pair of cold blue eyes peering at him from the hallway. "Shouldn't you be charging right now?"

2ouis looked back at his twin already fast asleep atop of the mountain of paperwork that divides them. "Maybe we both should be," he considered as Rondo quietly pads into the office and finds a spot to sit and watch the pair while they work. The doppelganger silently reaches over the desk and frees Seraph's favorite metal pen from his counterpart's fingertips before letting himself fall back into his seat. He sits in silence letting the weight of the instrument register in his hand. He'd seen West Side's director reach for this particular pen countless times over the past year and a half but it's sleek golden design never seemed to betray it's true weight. It was unnaturally heavy.

2ouis pulls the next form from the massive pile in front of himself and puts pen to paper as he begins to fill out the first line of the sheet. It didn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things but he felt that it was the least he could do for the team's director. Even a guardian angel would appreciate some help from time to time right?

Take Five
    West Side - 6:00 AM

In the early hours of the morning every provisional team member residing within West Side with a phone receives a text message. Individuals without access to a phone or currently in protective custody are relayed this message by Mimi before exiting their rooms in the morning.

Spoiler: Morning Meeting - December 5th, 20XX
    Show
    Attention all South and West Side heroes,

In light of recent events we will not be holding our regularly scheduled meeting today. Please feel free to share and discuss anything of note, import, or concern with Mimi, Harbinger, or your respective team lead as needed.

At this time I also ask that all West Side heroes and persons in protective custody take the day (December 5th) off from active duty however it is important to note that the leave being granted is entirely optional. In the event that a hero chooses to resume their normal responsibilities I ask that they comply with any and all regulations AEGIS has set in place for heroes assigned to our provisional team.

As always I'd like to thank for you time, cooperation, and continued support in keeping the city of Iron Station and it's people safe.

AEGIS - Iron Station
    West Side Provisional Team Lead

West Side - 9:00 AM

Spoiler: Text to Raphael and Keith
    Show
    Not sure if you guys already made plans but since management gave us the day off I was thinking about taking a trip to the mall. We could kick back and enjoy ourselves for once. Maybe even get a jumpstart on Christmas shopping while we're there. You in?
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-02-28 at 12:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Rooftop:

"Well..." Raphael says, clamping down on his visceral instincts to track down and do something messy and permanent to the being responsible for the curse (for now).

"One of those things is under our control, so maybe take it easy for a few days? I'm sure we can find something to keep you occupied while you rest." He says with a wink.

Midnight Oil:

The vampire stares at the enticing expanse of flesh for long moments. The ambience of the fictional hunt on the TV drifting away from his awareness, replaced by the steady, ever louder 'thud-thud' of the woman's heartbeat. His teeth itch.

The choked voice of Self-Preservation draws him back to the rooftop, not even a few hours ago, to Stella's confession of her weakness and overexertion.

Raphael licks his lips.

Someone might see. The voice played it's trump card.

Raphael started, his jaw clamping shut with a muted click. He was panting. His eyes darted around the room before he closed them tightly, exhaling slowly through his nose and trying to drag his attention back to the game, aroused in more ways than one.

Filler Episode?

Raphael looks at Louis' text and then glances at his still open closet.

Spoiler: Textual Response:
    Show

"I'm in."

He slides over to the closet to make the pitiful number of choices available to him, pondering what might be a good 'normal' Christmas present for Stella.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Midnight Oil
    At Raphael’s movement, Stella breathes just a little deeper as she turns onto her back. Her eyes open slightly and she gives the vampire a languid smile that is full of sleepy adoration.

She almost seems to drift off again for a moment before her eyes flutter open and she turns and props herself up on her elbow so she can scoot closer to Raphael to use his leg as a pillow.

Je suis désolé, mon cœur. J'ai dû m'égarer,” she mumbles into his sweatpants. “Qu'est-ce que j'ai raté?

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    I'm sorry, my heart. I must have drifted off. What did I miss?

Seraph’s Office-3am
    As 2ouis continues to work on the mountain of paperwork while his twin snores lightly, one of Rondo’s ears flicks toward the still cracked door of the office.

2ouis hears a door close nearby, either the roof or the door to Seraph’s suite. There’s a few moments of silence before Rondo fully turns his head to look at the door.

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Quiet sobs can be heard from nearby

Providence, RI
    Emi smiles at John as she continues to descend the stairs. She stops a few feet in front of him and does a slow twirl so that he can see all of Jefferey’s hard work.

“I love it,” she says. “And I’m glad you like it too. But if you like this one, I think you like the other one he’s made even better.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-02-28 at 11:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1350

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    Take Five
    West Side - 6:00 AM

In the early hours of the morning every provisional team member residing within West Side with a phone receives a text message. Individuals without access to a phone or currently in protective custody are relayed this message by Mimi before exiting their rooms in the morning.

Spoiler: Morning Meeting - December 5th, 20XX
    Show
    Attention all South and West Side heroes,

In light of recent events we will not be holding our regularly scheduled meeting today. Please feel free to share and discuss anything of note, import, or concern with Mimi, Harbinger, or your respective team lead as needed.

At this time I also ask that all West Side heroes and persons in protective custody take the day (December 5th) off from active duty however it is important to note that the leave being granted is entirely optional. In the event that a hero chooses to resume their normal responsibilities I ask that they comply with any and all regulations AEGIS has set in place for heroes assigned to our provisional team.

As always I'd like to thank for you time, cooperation, and continued support in keeping the city of Iron Station and it's people safe.

AEGIS - Iron Station
    West Side Provisional Team Lead

West Side - 9:00 AM

Spoiler: Text to Raphael and Keith
    Show
    Not sure if you guys already made plans but since management gave us the day off I was thinking about taking a trip to the mall. We could kick back and enjoy ourselves for once. Maybe even get a jumpstart on Christmas shopping while we're there. You in?
    Keith wakes up momentarily for the message about the day off and groans.

"Guess that's a good think though, gotta get some actual sleep...."

He drifts back off into a deep slumber, as his dreams recount his recent adventures.

Pain skirts across his body again as he sees the sigil from the sewers. Seraph is falling and Harbinger is showcasing his own disappointment in the rash action of trying to get rid of something that strong.

He should have called John, should have left it alone.

Everyone would be better off if he had just stayed gone......

Morning 9:00 am

Keith is startled awake again by his new phone and the text from Louis. He never expected another invite out from the guy, but it is a chance to try and mend bridges.

He typed up a quick response.

Spoiler: Text to Louis
    Show

Only plans made weren't confirmed, so I'm down.

Keith got up and looked in the mirror as he started getting ready, and contemplating if it would even be appropriate to get a present for Maeve.

Sidney was right, and they had only known each other about a month and only really interacted twice.

Maybe too fast, and maybe she didn't like the tour idea or was super busy.

He sighed as he took out his tooth brush. "May see if we can just cut my hair here and then burn it. Don't need to chance them getting void DNA in their hands."