Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1417
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

December 5th
    Third Shift
    “A few,” Natasha replies as she takes another sip. “James’ dad’s name is Joel, so I’ve thought about that as a middle name. I think he would like that. For a first name… maybe Tobias or Caleb? I’m still not sure.”

Quote Originally Posted by 2ouis
    "Hmmm..." 2ouis ponders as he takes the last sip of chai from his cup. "Nothing I can think of right now," he starts with a shake of his head. "But maybe we could do tea again sometime and I'd have an answer for you by then?" The doppelganger proposes.
    She smiles at 2ouis. “I would love to. I’m sure I have a lot more sleepless nights in my future, but I’m open to any time, really.”

An Old Acquaintance
    “I’m not in the mood for chitchat,” Claire retorts. “Do we have a deal or not?”

Mall Walking
    Drake seems more than a little reassured by Louis’ words. “The biggest mall in Iron Station should have something.”

Ryker makes several purchases before joining Drake and Louis.

Drake glances down at the full bag Ryker has. “Kinda surprised to see you buy so much,” he remarks.

The former Rook shrugs. “Most of it’s for Sid,” he admits. “I thought she might like some new stuff.”

Providence, RI
    Mr. Shaw suppresses a smile as Stephen struggled to find words for the sounds of the tastes he was experiencing. It wasn’t unlike something his wife would think.

Spoiler: Inner Thoughts with Mr. Shaw
    Show
    As Alistair lowers his wine glass from his lips a thought rises, unbidden. Rose would have loved this.

She had always been the more social of the two of them, especially back when they met. Galas, dinner parties, even simple nights out with her friends were always something she looked forward to. While she’d dragged him along to a few, most of the time, he’d sent her alone, especially when she was with friends from university. He knew how uncomfortable his presence made them.

Her friends’ smiles were always forced and their minds uneasy. He never blamed them, however. Who could be comfortable around a man that knew their every thought?

After a few years, Rose figured out how to see through the Shaw Reserve. As much as he’d schooled himself to give nothing away, he couldn’t rid himself of unconscious microexpressions. It was amusing that his wife, who had no powers at all, could see right through the most powerful psychic the world had ever seen.

She had stopped asking him to attend her parties once she knew the truth.

But— this was one engagement that both of them would enjoy. The Kelley family was wholesome and engaging. And Rose would have— will, he told himself firmly— love to meet the family their daughter was almost certain to marry into.

He could see it, feel, how much she cared for this young man as she descended the stairs and saw John’s expression. It wasn’t a look Alistair had seen from her before. Not for Enzo. Not for the Radke boy.

Emi smiles gently at John as she takes a few steps forward to meet him. “I thought you’d like it,” she says teasingly. “As Kate said, Jefferey has outdone himself. I told him that I hoped his class takes into consideration how happy their model is, because I would give him 100% and extra credit.”

She steps back and gives John a slow turn so he can see all of the dress. “I think we’ll have to attend another fundraiser soon. Any excuse to wear this.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-03-23 at 06:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Providence, RI
    Mr. Shaw suppresses a smile as Stephen struggled to find words for the sounds of the tastes he was experiencing. It wasn’t unlike something his wife would think.

Spoiler: Inner Thoughts with Mr. Shaw
    Show
    As Alistair lowers his wine glass from his lips a thought rises, unbidden. Rose would have loved this.

She had always been the more social of the two of them, especially back when they met. Galas, dinner parties, even simple nights out with her friends were always something she looked forward to. While she’d dragged him along to a few, most of the time, he’d sent her alone, especially when she was with friends from university. He knew how uncomfortable his presence made them.

Her friends’ smiles were always forced and their minds uneasy. He never blamed them, however. Who could be comfortable around a man that knew their every thought?

After a few years, Rose figured out how to see through the Shaw Reserve. As much as he’d schooled himself to give nothing away, he couldn’t rid himself of unconscious microexpressions. It was amusing that his wife, who had no powers at all, could see right through the most powerful psychic the world had ever seen.

She had stopped asking him to attend her parties once she knew the truth.

But— this was one engagement that both of them would enjoy. The Kelley family was wholesome and engaging. And Rose would have— will, he told himself firmly— love to meet the family their daughter was almost certain to marry into.

He could see it, feel, how much she cared for this young man as she descended the stairs and saw John’s expression. It wasn’t a look Alistair had seen from her before. Not for Enzo. Not for the Radke boy.

Emi smiles gently at John as she takes a few steps forward to meet him. “I thought you’d like it,” she says teasingly. “As Kate said, Jefferey has outdone himself. I told him that I hoped his class takes into consideration how happy their model is, because I would give him 100% and extra credit.”

She steps back and gives John a slow turn so he can see all of the dress. “I think we’ll have to attend another fundraiser soon. Any excuse to wear this.”
    Emi’s statement as she wore white before him caused John’s mind flicker across the miles to the particular diamond and the plans he had finalized for the box that would contain the ring.

Not a wedding dress, the detached portion of his mind reminded himself even as it threatened to collapse with the rest of him at Emi’s slow spin.

It’s not the right moment. Or the right city.

There were promises he needed to fulfill before he could appropriately ask.

But he felt the question within him — present enough to make him wonder if Emi or his future-father-in-law might sense it.

He felt the cool of his amulet resting against his chest, uncertain if he wanted them to know or not.

Future-father-in-law.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, John. He certainly knew — just as his mother did.

The part of his mind that was not detached remained utterly unconcerned with anything but his feelings for Emi.

“I’m sure the Foundation must have one scheduled somewhere soon,” John replied, his voice filled with quiet wonder. “If not, I’ll ask someone to schedule one.”

John was vaguely aware that his response was somewhat absurd. Even for a magician of his caliber, fundraisers didn’t just materialize out of thin air. And given the season, he knew there had to be someone who had already planned one.

But it had to be the right one — one worthy of her appearance in this dress.

Frock? Gown?

Dress.

“They were saying something about holding something for some renovations at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul,” Joe teased. “It might be a little much for bingo night, though.”

“It’s already funded. Bingo is still on, though,” John replied absentmindedly as he was caught by Emi’s eyes as she completed her turn. “You know how much the…they…enjoy….”

“We know, dear,” Mary assured her floundering son.

“It’s wonderful, Jefferey,” John added. “I may be somewhat biased, but I think I’d be willing to assign extra credit, too.”

Did I mention that I love you? John projected. It may not be because of your looks but seeing you in this dress does call the thought to mind.

3. - Top - End - #1383

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    An Old Acquaintance
    “I’m not in the mood for chitchat,” Claire retorts. “Do we have a deal or not?”
    Keith sighed again and pinched the bridge of his nose. It wasn't that he wanted to say no, but he didn't have anything worth sharing.

"Hate to say it, but I don't have the price that you're askin' for. Pretty sure because of my ties, they would be extra careful sharing anything as well." He exhaled the rest of the air in his lungs.

4. - Top - End - #1384

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    Third Shift

“A few,” Natasha replies as she takes another sip. “James’ dad’s name is Joel, so I’ve thought about that as a middle name. I think he would like that. For a first name… maybe Tobias or Caleb? I’m still not sure.”
    "Hmmm... What about Michael? We don't have one of those." The doppelganger suggests.

She smiles at 2ouis. “I would love to. I’m sure I have a lot more sleepless nights in my future, but I’m open to any time, really.”
    "Great, because I think I like whatever's in this Chai stuff," 2ouis says with a warm smile.

Mall Walking

Ryker makes several purchases before joining Drake and Louis.

Drake glances down at the full bag Ryker has. “Kinda surprised to see you buy so much,” he remarks.

The former Rook shrugs. “Most of it’s for Sid,” he admits. “I thought she might like some new stuff.”
    "And the rest is for us?" Louis asks without hesitation. "That was really thoughtful of you. So what'd we get?"
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-03-25 at 09:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Third Shift
    “I am kind of a fan of cute nicknames for kids. I could call him Mikey while he’s little,” Natasha says with a light laugh. “Same with Toby. CJ’s not quite as cute.”

She shrugs and turns to other topics while the two of them finish their tea. After the final sip, she gathers their cups and takes them to the sink to wash out.

“Thank you for staying with me, Louis,” she says as she dries the mugs and replaces them in the cabinet. “I think I’m going to head back upstairs to the suite. Don’t work too hard, okay?”

An Old Acquaintance
    “Then stop wasting my time,” Claire hisses before the line goes dead.

Mall Walking
    Ryker rolls his eyes at Louis’ joke before he looks past the two of them out into the center walkway of the mall.

Behind the two team leads a dark-skinned girl with short, bouncy hair exclaims excitedly, “Hey, we know those guys!”

She’s accompanied by two guys. One is a lean blonde that is easily recognized by the AEGIS heroes as Blitz. The other is vaguely familiar, tall, with dark eyes and hair.

“We shouldn’t bother them,” the dark haired guy says, but his words fall on deaf ears as the girl not quite prances over to the entrance of Blazing Subject.

“Hi Drake,” she says with a wide smile. “Annnnnnd… Louis,” she eventually comes up with as she looks at the West Side Team Lead. She then looks at Ryker, currently being covered by Louis’ powers in his ‘Derrick’ disguise, and shrugs. “I don’t remember seeing you at the party or in our notes.”

“Shocker,” Ryker mumbles.

“Jadyn,” Drake replies with just a hint of a smile. He nods to the other two East Siders as they join their teammate. “Zack… Grayson. You guys out Christmas shopping too?”

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Drake moves to subtlety put himself between Grayson and Ryker

“Partially,” Zack replies. “Emi sent us here with her credit card to get Grayson a new wardrobe, but I’m looking for something for Kylie too.”

“And I’m here to make sure he ends up with clothes that aren’t just black,” Jadyn adds, putting her hands on her hips with a nod. “Though I should probably find something for my mom and dad.”

Providence, RI
    John, are you trying to say that I’m not pretty? Emi teases. He feels the ghost of a kiss on his lips as Emi turns back toward the stairs. Just kidding. It’s very sweet of you to say.

“I’ll be back down in a moment,” she says. “It wouldn’t do for the pot roast to get cold.”

As John turns back to the rest of the family, he can see Mr. Shaw is watching him impassively. There is, however, a spark of amusement in his eyes.

6. - Top - End - #1386

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    An Old Acquaintance
    “Then stop wasting my time,” Claire hisses before the line goes dead.
    Keith moves to say something else but just stops as the line goes dead. Not his fault he had nothing to share on the angels. Well, there was the one thing he could, but he wasn't about to let Natasha's secret out, not after Stolas told him.

He turned off the phone completely and tapped on the commlink as he moved back to meet the others, moving his normal phone to his ear to talk with Mimi for a second. "Thank you, Mimi. If Harbinger or Seraph ask, I got nothing. The price for info was too high."

Mall Walking
    Ryker rolls his eyes at Louis’ joke before he looks past the two of them out into the center walkway of the mall.

Behind the two team leads a dark-skinned girl with short, bouncy hair exclaims excitedly, “Hey, we know those guys!”

She’s accompanied by two guys. One is a lean blonde that is easily recognized by the AEGIS heroes as Blitz. The other is vaguely familiar, tall, with dark eyes and hair.

“We shouldn’t bother them,” the dark haired guy says, but his words fall on deaf ears as the girl not quite prances over to the entrance of Blazing Subject.

“Hi Drake,” she says with a wide smile. “Annnnnnd… Louis,” she eventually comes up with as she looks at the West Side Team Lead. She then looks at Ryker, currently being covered by Louis’ powers in his ‘Derrick’ disguise, and shrugs. “I don’t remember seeing you at the party or in our notes.”

“Jadyn,” Drake replies with just a hint of a smile. He nods to the other two East Siders as they join their teammate. “Zack… Grayson. You guys out Christmas shopping too?”

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Drake moves to subtlety put himself between Grayson and Ryker

“Partially,” Zack replies. “Emi sent us here with her credit card to get Grayson a new wardrobe, but I’m looking for something for Kylie too.”

“And I’m here to make sure he ends up with clothes that aren’t just black,” Jadyn adds, putting her hands on her hips with a nod. “Though I should probably find something for my mom and dad.”
    Keith walks up to rejoin the others and looks over at Louis first. "Thanks, bud, sorry it took so long." He sees the East Siders and at first, he thinks about needing to get something for Maeve, and then the dread of realizing that he could also be viewed as odd for getting something for someone he isn't even dating.

"Sup Grayson, Jadyn, Zack." He waves at the East Siders.

7. - Top - End - #1387

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    John, are you trying to say that I’m not pretty? Emi teases. He feels the ghost of a kiss on his lips as Emi turns back toward the stairs. Just kidding. It’s very sweet of you to say.
    No, I….

John’s mind raced — rather unfortunately in multiple directions — as he felt the ghost of the kiss. How had he managed to imply that?

She still hadn’t taught him the trick of projecting such a thing. An advanced lesson, no doubt.

“I’ll be back down in a moment,” she says. “It wouldn’t do for the pot roast to get cold.”

As John turns back to the rest of the family, he can see Mr. Shaw is watching him impassively. There is, however, a spark of amusement in his eyes.
    “You’re such a dear to think of that, Emi,” Mary responded sweetly before giving her husband an arched look. “I’m not sure I’d be willing to release my boyfriend so quickly.”

“You didn’t at her age and don’t now,” Joe teased while offering his wife a winning and slightly besotted smile.

Describing you as pretty always feels like an understatement, John projected — just a little later than he should have as Emi prepared to leave.

His timing was off — as if he were mentally flat footed.

She was almost certain to notice that.

He always half a beat behind (Stephen would be proud.) around her. He could face down demons, outwit otherworldly beings, and outmaneuver cults. What was it about her that caused him to do that?

Besides being in love with the most beautiful woman in the world, that is.

As if that wasn’t enough.

He tuned and caught sight of the sparkle in his future father in law’s eyes.

At least he was providing good comedic value — value he would, in just a couple weeks, be able to share with John’s future mother-in….

Oh, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

“I, um,” he faltered. “I think Jefferey did exceptionally well.”

“I think did better with my attempt to describe the wine,” Stephen teased, lifting the glass and taking a steadying sip — unsure how Mr. Shaw would take their banter.

“You say that like it was ever in doubt,” John replied, “although the synesthesia makes for a fresher kind of comparison than what I’ve learned to do.”

He just admitted he had been studying.

In front of the man who he was making an effort to study for.

He glanced down the hallway where his amused girlfriend was turning to mount the stairs.

Still a half a step behind.

He smiled at the woman he hoped would someday be his wife.

“She may leave me a little flustered.

“From time to time.”

He could almost feel Mr. Shaw and his father’s eyebrows raise. He certainly heard the serving fork tap on the side of the pan as his mother turned to look at him in disbelief.

“A little, John?” Mary asked.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Mall Walking:

Raphael stares blankly at Louis, two-overstuffed bags held in one hand over his shoulder. "All my old favorite shirts have bullet holes in them."

He hunches his shoulder and jostles the bags. "Now I have new favorites. Without bullet holes."

Raphael sidles over to the disguised Ryker and peers down into his bag. "Yeah, yeah, what's in there for me?"

As the East Siders close in on the group, Raphael's easygoing attitude falters and then withers away, his eyes narrowing into a cruel, evaluating gaze.

"Heeeeey, I remember you, you look really good for a dead guy, man, kinda taller maybe? It's definitely an improvement. Did you ever thank him for that?" The vampire's tone is cheerful, jovial even. He casually turns so he's facing square on at Grayson and hooks the thumb on his free hand through a belt loop and rests his weight on his back leg. His smile is empty of any warmth.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Notice Roll: 9 -1 for conditions = 8
    Raphael is Angry, Hopeless, and Troubled, so if this outburst clears any of this that'd be great to hear

Per GM conversation, Raphael uses his Outsider Move: Alien Ways: Whenever you openly disregard or undermine an important earth custom in favor of one of your own people’s customs, shift Superior up and any other label down.

Raphael is deliberately reacting to Grayson the way two hostile vampires would react to each other in public. He is ignoring the 'important earth custom(s)' of 'playing nice' and 'not airing dirty laundry in public' and similar social conventions.

Superior Up, Savior Down.
    Raphael more embodies and embraces being an annoying little snot
    Raphael's empathy and grasp of humanity grows more tenuous

Last edited by big teej; 2024-03-27 at 10:45 PM. Reason: added content

9. - Top - End - #1389

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    Third Shift

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha
    “Thank you for staying with me, Louis,” she says as she dries the mugs and replaces them in the cabinet. “I think I’m going to head back upstairs to the suite. Don’t work too hard, okay?”
    "Don't worry, I won't," 2ouis says with a knowing smirk. "Night." 2ouis figured he'd fill the original in on everything that happened after he woke up from the bed of paperwork he'd been resting his head on. But that wouldn't be for at least another hour, which was more than enough time to find something to watch on the living room TV.

Mall Walking

Quote Originally Posted by Raph
    Raphael stares blankly at Louis, two-overstuffed bags held in one hand over his shoulder. "All my old favorite shirts have bullet holes in them."

He hunches his shoulder and jostles the bags. "Now I have new favorites. Without bullet holes."
    "You know I'd say its an occupational hazard but you go through shirts like a kid who just got their first paycheck." Louis laughs. "Let's try to keep this batch on your back."

"Good eye, I'm impressed." Louis admits as Jadyn ID's the group of metas.

Notice: 10 + 2 (Perception) = 12

Louis catches the subtle shift in Drake's position and body language but doesn't budge from his spot as the rest East Siders draw near.

Quote Originally Posted by East Side

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator
    As the East Siders close in on the group, Raphael's easygoing attitude falters and then withers away, his eyes narrowing into a cruel, evaluating gaze.

"Heeeeey, I remember you, you look really good for a dead guy, man, kinda taller maybe? It's definitely an improvement. Did you ever thank him for that?" The vampire's tone is cheerful, jovial even. He casually turns so he's facing square on at Grayson and hooks the thumb on his free hand through a belt loop and rests his weight on his back leg. His smile is empty of any warmth.
    The team lead's smile levels out as Raph's demeanor undergoes a sudden shift. It seemed effortless, like flipping a switch, but the reason why remained unclear.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2024-03-28 at 05:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    The East Siders greet Keith as he walks over, but as Raphael speaks, chatterbox Jadyn is stunned into silence. Zack’s eyes slide over to Grayson to watch his reaction with interest. Behind an impassive Drake, Ryker smiles viciously.

Grayson eyes go wide in surprise. He blinks, and Raphael can see a little bit of betrayal and hurt there before he swallows and the emotion fades from his gaze. The air gets perceptibly colder.

“Look man, I don’t know what I did to you, or why you wanna bring that up now, but yeah, I did thank him,” Grayson says in a low voice.

Providence, RI
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    “I, um,” he faltered. “I think Jefferey did exceptionally well.”
    “I couldn’t have guessed,” Mr. Shaw says with a teasing smile.

He tips his glass to Stephen slightly. “For someone who had never attempted to find flavor notes in wine, I think you did well. I’ll agree with your brother, however. It’s not a way taste is usually described. If you’re interested, I would urge you to take some courses when you’re old enough. It would be an out of the common perspective that I believe people would be fascinated to read if you wanted to do some reviews.”

Mr. Shaw gives John a rare smile as he finishes his glass when his mother teases him.

Emi is quick to return, once again in her knit dress. “Sorry for the delay. Shall we?”

11. - Top - End - #1391

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    Mr. Shaw gives John a rare smile as he finishes his glass when his mother teases him.
    Don’t say reserve and potentially spoil the moment, John thought to himself as he readied his reply.

“I’ve been working on my understatement,” John explained to his mother absolutely beside himself at the appearance of Mr. Shaw’s open smile. “I have a lot to learn.”

He considered sharing the moment with Emi but he dared not risk breaking the mood if Mr. Shaw overheard. He would tell her later — share with her this small sign of success that her father rather than the world-renowned hero was the man in attendance.

“Well, you certainly set yourself a challenge with that attempt,” Joe observed, proud of how his sons were doing so far this evening.

Mary, her back to the others, quietly exulted in her children and in something else that, based on all appearances, had gone unnoted by the others.

Joe, John, Stephen, and Alastair had eased into their conversation, speaking together easily. They had grown comfortable together — a better result than she could have hoped for.

Across the kitchen, Jefferey and Kate had texted Emi a copy of the video and had begun to coo over how well it had come together. As always, they basked in one another’s their successes and it was clear that Jefferey’s work was a triumph. It’s reception here, she suspected, was more significant than it would be in his class — however professionally fulfilling it would be.

But it was Emi’s response in the moment that warmed her heart the most. She had unselfconsciously gone back upstairs to change. It was a natural thing to do, of course, but she had done it in a way that appeared to signal a kind of comfort with their home — that she had, in some small way, crossed a threshold in saying she would be back down in a moment.

There was no sense of her asking permission to move about their house now.

She was beginning to feel at home in their house — as well she should.

Joe had reminded her more than once that the choice belonged to John and Emi. But she was pleased that she had set the stage well enough for things to play out as they had so far.

It was time for the next stage to be set.

is quick to return, once again in her knit dress. “Sorry for the delay. Shall we?”
    “I think I can honestly say that the pot roast and the dresses’ reveal are both worth waiting for,” Joe responded as he lifted the serving plate.

He considered quipping that the pot roast might wait for no man but it could wait for Emi just this once but he recalled quickly enough that it was the second time — the first time being when John sent the picture of them on their first date. Mary might be willing to accept both but he doubted she wanted that precedent to be publicly set.

Even if, he acknowledged with a twinkle in his eye, Emi and Alastair were likely overhearing him considering it as he thought it.

“You’re in your usual seat, dear,” Mary said to Emi as, to Kate’s delight, she watched the wine bottle float to the table and begin to fill the glasses. “Alastair, you’ll be across from her.”

As John drew out the chair for Emi, he placed his hand on her back — the kind of casual gesture any solicitous gentleman might make as he signaled he was finished moving the chair and she could sit.

As he touched her, he tried to project the image of her father’s smile quietly through that contact. Given how giddy he was at the lingering thought of her in Jefferey’s dress, the success that smile signaled, and Stephen’s conversation with Mr. Shaw, however, he was unsure if he was being sufficiently subtle or not.

He had to concede that he didn’t care overly much. He wanted her to share in the moment.

The visit seem to be going better than well, mo chuishle.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-03-29 at 09:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1392

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    The East Siders greet Keith as he walks over, but as Raphael speaks, chatterbox Jadyn is stunned into silence. Zack’s eyes slide over to Grayson to watch his reaction with interest. Behind an impassive Drake, Ryker smiles viciously.

Grayson eyes go wide in surprise. He blinks, and Raphael can see a little bit of betrayal and hurt there before he swallows and the emotion fades from his gaze. The air gets perceptibly colder.

“Look man, I don’t know what I did to you, or why you wanna bring that up now, but yeah, I did thank him,” Grayson says in a low voice.
    Keith tilts his head and his face turns to one of genuine confusion. Raph shouldn't have known about that. Well, probably would have, but why bring it up in the middle of the mall like this?

Maybe he had picked the full wrong time to rejoin the group. There had to be something else going on here. If not for Jadyn going full silent, he would have thought he was hallucinating and imagined the entire thing. Keith could only stare at Raph in his shock and confusion.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Mall Brawl:

"Are ya sure ya thanked him?" Raphael says, his smile growing wider for a moment before dropping into a scowl and he turns to face the wyrmling face on.

"Or did you just mumble some useless, empty words as meaningless as you are? Cause from where I'm standing the way you're simping over the man's woman is about right for a worm or a bastard rather than a---"

Raphael catches himself before he can say something out of bounds like "Dragon."

The vampire clamps his mouth shut in a frown and hisses out a breath through his nose.

"Man." He finishes lamely.

Spoiler: Notice or Spirit TN 4 for Those Assembled:
    Show

Raphael's demeanor changes again, edging back from the cruel, enraged, provocateur into something passive and dismissive. "I'm done with this, unless you aren't."

14. - Top - End - #1394

NinjaGuy

No Store Left Unturned

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator
    "Are ya sure ya thanked him?" Raphael says, his smile growing wider for a moment before dropping into a scowl and he turns to face the wyrmling face on.

"Or did you just mumble some useless, empty words as meaningless as you are? Cause from where I'm standing the way you're simping over the man's woman is about right for a worm or a bastard rather than a---"

The vampire clamps his mouth shut in a frown and hisses out a breath through his nose.

"Man." He finishes lamely.
    Notice: 5 + 2 = 7 (Perception)

Louis is quick to catch the lack of bite in Raph's final word and decides to take the opportunity to step in to do his job.

The West Side team lead audibly sighs under the weight of social obligation as he walks up to Raphael, hands tucked into his jacket pockets. "And you wonder why nobody likes us." Louis says, nudging the instigator with an elbow. "Let's get goin'. Mall ain't gonna walk itself."

"Have fun on your shopping spree." He gives the East Siders a small nod before turning away and walking away toward the next district within the mall.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Mall Walking
    Grayson’s breath fogs slightly before he catches it, but his weight shifts back and his eyes return to the floor in resignation as he notices Raphael’s demeanor change.

“That’s not cool dude,” Jadyn says to Raphael, crossing her arms. “Calling somebody worthless and meaningless is like, super rude. You don’t even know him.”

Grayson shakes his head as she starts to say more in his defense. “It’s not worth it,” he mutters. “Look, they’re about to leave anyway.”

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    "Have fun on your shopping spree." He gives the East Siders a small nod before turning away and walking away toward the next district within the mall.
    “See ya around,” Zack says as Jadyn looks between her two teammates in disbelief.

Ryker looks incredibly disappointed but rolls his eyes and follows Drake as the South Side Team Lead falls in step behind Louis.

Providence, RI
    As she sits, Emi shares a quick look with Joe, smiling at his thoughts.

It is, she agrees. John feels her happiness at seeing her father’s smile through their contact. I haven’t seen my father this relaxed in years.

If he notices, Mr. Shaw ignores them as he takes his seat across from Emi.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2024-04-02 at 12:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1396

OldWizardGuy

Providence, RI
    As she sits, Emi shares a quick look with Joe, smiling at his thoughts.

It is, she agrees. John feels her happiness at seeing her father’s smile through their contact. I haven’t seen my father this relaxed in years.

If he notices, Mr. Shaw ignores them as he takes his seat across from Emi.
    It was not the first time a dignitary had come as a quiet guest to their house, so the FPO knew to adjust their usual seating arrangements without a hint of fuss or discomfort. John and Mary were at their usual ends of the table but Alistair Shaw was at Mary’s right. As the honored female guest, Emi should have been seated next to Joe, of course — just as she should have been last time. But that, Mary noted to herself, would have been too formal for a casual, family meal.

Emi was at Mary’s left — right where she could reach her. She might not know what brief exchange had transpired between her and her husband but the twinkle in his eye suggested it was some private joke between them — which was the kind of thing she wanted to encourage.

John was next to Emi — again leaning into the casual nature of the event rather than placing him in the more formally correct position across from her, and Kate sat in her usual place across from him. Jefferey was next to Kate, rather than across from her, and Stephen filled his usual seat to Joe’s left. Before his tutelage in wine tasting, he would have been grateful for the cover Kate’s presence would provide for him.

It wasn’t that Emi wasn’t any less able to read his thoughts, Mary knew — even if Stephen still didn’t. But he had already grown used to her in a way he was not with Alistair Shaw. Alistair’s considerate gesture of reaching out to him had changed that. Stephen had relaxed enough for him to be a part of the usual flow of the casual dinner conversation and had clearly warmed to Alastair enough to speak with him.

But she knew he would adjust. His stage persona was enough to guarantee that. And, Mary admitted to herself, that she had hoped that adjustment would be faster than her own adjustment to Samantha’s steadily growing presence in her life. She was still not certain what to think about that young lady’s interest in her youngest son. The songs she sang were necessarily sultry and had been for decades before her parents had been born. It remained to be seen how much of that was the sixteen year old’s stage persona and how much was truly her.

But those uncertainties, she reminded herself, were concerns for another time. Right now, she had a young woman she was surprisingly certain about to work on folding into the family. And now her father, of course — who was probably overhearing her thoughts right now.

Careless, Mary, she thought as she once again focused tightly on the meal before her, as Joe had so often reminded their children to do.

Centering herself, as she had been learning to do in her meditation classes, she turned to Alistair.

“You know, I was thinking about what I said earlier — how your lemon squares are worth traveling for? Perhaps now that John has a space that can connect Providence and Iron Station,” she suggested with the same false innocence she used when suggesting that the Shaws join them for Thanksgiving dinner, “we could arrange a pot luck or even a progressive dinner — if we could be cleared to visit one of your two bases. It would provide us with an opportunity to meet your charming and handsome son — even if I worry about what a meeting might do to Kate and Jefferey’s hearts.”

She could feel Joe’s eyes on her as he tried to guess what was coming next. Even if his occupation made him dislike surprises in general (Civil engineering requires predictability.), she knew the kind and degree that he could tolerate.

“Although John’s resilience with your lovely daughter here,” she said, turning to Emi with a smile before turning back to Alistair, “I think I can count on the two of them to survive.”

“I should be able to handle it, Mom,” Kate replied with a hint of exasperation.

“Speak for yourself,” quipped Jefferey quietly as he continued to think through which shade of salmon would serve Ian best in both the direct sun and in the dappled light found under palm trees.

Joe’s eyes flicked up over the rim of his glass, which he had instinctively reached for when Mary’s face took on that look of innocence he had been falling for since he was seventeen. He tried — and failed — to gauge how far his shrewd wife was planning to expand her campaign. Was she only trying to only include all of the Shaws or was she attempting to actively counter John’s rivals for Emi’s heart by “accidentally” invading his territory with something akin to a social show of force?

The memory of Emi and Kate perched on the kitchen counter came unbidden to his mind’s eye — as did the joy he felt seeing them together there, conspiring shoulder to shoulder.

He admitted to himself that wanted that scene to play out again.

Their decision, he reminded himself sharply. Not his.

Of course, a detached part of him countered, it was also true that he could help set the context in which they made their decision.

And that seemed fair enough….

“My security clearance may be high enough for a visit,” he ventured to add. “But we’d probably have to try and get yours bumped up to a higher level, Mary. I’m not sure of the rest of the FPO would qualify. Two locations would be an imperfect progression.”

“Maybe one course could be a picnic somewhere exotic,” Kate suggested with a teasing smile directed at John and Emi as she remembered the pictures of John walking about Bastion with that absurd picnic basket, “although it might be tough to top a magician’s sanctum and a Myriad secret base. Jefferey and I can vouch for some secluded beaches in Cape Verde, though.”

“No, Kate” Mary replied with a sigh, “I suspect your father is correct — as is his wont. A progressive dinner might be a bridge too far right now.”

She took in a breath, a smile playing around her lips.

A feint, Joe realized, half lowering his glass as he gave her a quizzical look. He might recognize the sign but that did not mean he knew where she was headed.

Joe also noticed the micro expression on John’s face as he widened his perceptions, trying to take in his mother and their guests’ reactions — as he had taught him to do years before when the precocious adolescent asked him how he seemed to see everything sometimes.

Given his current line of work, those walks in the park where he taught his son the kind of situational awareness he had picked up in the field were better spent than he thought.

“I know,” Mary continued, placing her hand lightly on Emi’s arm. She had noted how the young psychic had responded to such things before — and Mary absolutely wanted her to know how much she was wanted here. “Why don’t you bring Ian sometime in the next week or two up to help us decorate out tree for the holidays?

“It’s a very informal event,” she explained to Alastair, “but it would be lovely to have you and your family here for it.

“I’d ask if he would like to bring a guest,” she said, evaluating her son’s response to her statement, “but I don’t know how much the young reporter knows about John.”

So, she thought. It appears that Miss Balinski the younger knows at least one of the name of her sister’s fiancée’s protégés. If an angel can trust her, she concluded, then so would she.

“Do you think the three of you could get away to join us? Well,” she added artfully, subtly attaching her son to the Shaws, “four if you count John.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2024-04-02 at 04:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ring the Bell:

Raphael turns to look at Louis, his expression fixed. His pale eyes slide from his friend back to East Side and then back to Louis.

"You're right. This isn't why we're here."

Raphael nods, more to himself than acknowledging anything else, rotates smoothly on one heel, and strides off to begin a circuit of the mall.

The young vampire doesn't react in any way to Jayden's pronouncement, despite the whirling vapor of insults and rejoinders that cloud his mind for several yards.

"I didn't notice you shopping around Blazing Subject, did you have somewhere else in mind?" Raphael asks the two team leads, all signs of his earlier outburst gone from his voice and demeanor.

18. - Top - End - #1398

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    No Store Left Unturned
    Louis is quick to catch the lack of bite in Raph's final word and decides to take the opportunity to step in to do his job.

The West Side team lead audibly sighs under the weight of social obligation as he walks up to Raphael, hands tucked into his jacket pockets. "And you wonder why nobody likes us." Louis says, nudging the instigator with an elbow. "Let's get goin'. Mall ain't gonna walk itself."

Spoiler: Raph's dropping it?
    Show

Notice: 1d8o8-1 12 1d6o6-1 3

Keith was even more confused at Raph's tone changing drastically. It was unlike him. And turning like that as soon as he had started, even with the insults, something wasn't right.

Mall Walking
    Grayson’s breath fogs slightly before he catches it, but his weight shifts back and his eyes return to the floor in resignation as he notices Raphael’s demeanor change.

“That’s not cool dude,” Jadyn says to Raphael, crossing her arms. “Calling somebody worthless and meaningless is like, super rude. You don’t even know him.”

Grayson shakes his head as she starts to say more in his defense. “It’s not worth it,” he mutters. “Look, they’re about to leave anyway.”

“See ya around,” Zack says as Jadyn looks between her two teammates in disbelief.

Ryker looks incredibly disappointed but rolls his eyes and follows Drake as the South Side Team Lead falls in step behind Louis.
    Keith looks at Louis and Raph in disbelief as well. But he couldn't exactly argue with him. He tried to diffuse the situation as best he could. It still rubbed him the wrong way and he exhaled seeing the others start to walk off.

"Grayson’s right though, Jadyn. It's not worth the energy focused on someone like that." He shook his head. "Doesn't make any of it right either." His shadow swells for a moment, and he manages to reign it in. "You going to be ok man?" He asks Grayson.

Following the conversation, before he leaves to catch up to the others. "Take care of yourselves, and sorry for his behavior."

He goes to catch up to the others and falls in step. "Get what you needed, Raph?" He was lost in thought with the question. Where did that even come from? How did Raph even know about any of it? He turned to Louis. "What next, boss?"

Spoiler: Piercing the Mask!
    Show

Pierce the Mask (with influence!): 2d6+1+1 13
    Keith's first question is on if Raphael got what he needed.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2024-04-05 at 07:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1399

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    “Do you think the three of you could get away to join us? Well,” she added artfully, subtly attaching her son to the Shaws, “four if you count John.”

“We can’t commit to that yet.”

Mary was taken aback at the response. It wasn’t just hearing the echo of his father’s steel in in John’s voice as he spoke. It was that he, of all the people at the table, was the last person she expected to hear raise an objection.

“I have a commitment in London coming up sooner than I expected,” he continued. “I was able to accelerate a project I have been working on and I’ve achieved a greater level of success than I anticipated. As such, I’m ahead of schedule and it will be ready to act on this coming weekend at the latest.”

Mary’s heart began to sink. He was looking at his plate, refusing to make eye contact with her in the way he always did when he was holding something back — something he was worried she would be able to figure out.

“I didn’t want to say anything before dinner.”

Oh, merciful Heaven, Mary thought as the blood drained from her face.

She found herself holding Emi’s hand for support as fear began to grip her, shattering the focus she had been struggling to maintain.

“I didn’t want to distract from the pot roast.”

He was going after the Homonculus. What else would require him to precipitously travel to London so soon before he was scheduled to travel there with the Shaws?

John furrowed his brow. “That doesn’t sound absurd until you say it out loud,” he conceded.

Mary’s mind raced, thinking back over everything she knew about the Windsor Incident and what little information was publicly known about the Homonculus — which was precious little. She hadn’t even been able to place names to all the people in the pictures. And even those like Sir Vincent Greere, whose name she could uncover, were figures whose prominence was clear but whose positions in the international intelligence community were not.

“Well, it is true that it waits for no man,” Joe observed, his tone light but with the same steel in his voice — a strength she needed in the same way she needed Emi’s hand to reminded her that her firstborn son was not alone in the shadowy, unfamiliar world he now inhabited.

She was there with John — along with his teammates and his mentors: the angels and Alastair.

John looked up at his father. The serious look he wore she had seen so may times at science olympiads and the quiz bowls his math skills would inevitably carry.

He was sure of himself then, she reminded herself as her grip on Emi’s hand tightened. Was it the same now?

Could he be sure that he would be safe?

“I’m sure you’ve gone over all the variables, son, and have a solid grip on things,” her handsome husband said, smiling and, by raising his voice slightly, drawing eyes to himself (And away from her. He appeared to do these things so effortlessly.). “One of the items we skipped on our tour, in favor of the fashion show, Alastair, was the honorary letter John’s baseball teammates got for him. His on the field performance was solid but wasn’t the kind of thing that put him on the roster for most games and meant he didn’t get the points towards a varsity letter. His use of statistics, however, was their team’s secret weapon and it carried them further in the state competition than they would have gotten otherwise.

“It was only when one of the Pawtucket high school teams got his number that they were knocked out of contention. They literally made half of the pitches thrown random to counteract John’s statistical analysis!”

“It still feels like cheating, somehow,” John added, stabbing a piece of pot roast in mild irritation.

“They probably said the same thing about your calculations, Boyfriend.”

The hardest part of parenting, Mary’s mother had explained to her while she carried John within her, was not seeing the disappointments. It was the act of stepping back and letting them do, knowing they would make mistakes — mistakes that the parent knew how to prevent.

Mary didn’t even have the beginning of a frame of reference of what a mistake with the Homonculus would look like — let alone how to prevent it.

She had to trust him to make mistakes and recover from them — just like she had when he and Kate and Jefferey and Stephen learned how to drive.

She slowly released Emi’s hand, grateful for the reassurance she had found there — although she wondered when exactly it was that she had crossed the threshold of being ready to look for it.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    “I’ll be fine,” Grayson mutters to Keith, still looking at the ground. His voice is tight and curt, and the air remains chilly in his immediate vicinity.

Spoiler: A Mini East Side Meanwhile
    Show
    As Keith hurries off to join his team, Jadyn once again looks between her teammates. “What was that, Zack?” she asks before looking at Grayson. “You don’t have to let people walk all over you, ya know.”

“It’s not worth it,” Grayson replies quietly. “It’s not like he was wrong either.”

“You said it, not me,” Zack says with a shrug. “And you know the twins and their dad would be angry if we got into a brawl with the rival teams at the mall. It was best to let the dude say what he had to say and walk away.”

Grayson lets out a sigh that fogs the air before he walks past Jadyn into Burning Subject.

“He’s lucky that just looks like he’s vaping or something,” she mumbles as she watches the draconic hero go before eyes flick back to Zack. Her hands settle on her hips. “Grayson’s not simping for Emi, is he?”

“Totally is,” Zack says without preamble. “Now that she has John, she’s never gonna date him, but he just can’t let go. Dude goes so far out of his way for her it isn’t even funny.”

“What, a guy and girl can’t be friends?” Jadyn asks weakly.

“Please, you’ve seen the way he looks at her. Hell, before he got… ‘fixed’ she was the only person he’d actually look at. Her and Keith. But now Keith has a new team, and Emi has John.”

Jadyn frowns, looking away. “And Grayson doesn’t have anyone.”

Drake glances back at Raphael. “I did a quick look around. Didn’t see anything I thought Yuki would like. We have a whole mall to look around in though.”

Ryker tosses his bag over his shoulder and stuffs his other hand in a pocket. “Sometimes I don’t get you, Raph. I was hopin’ you were gonna keep rippin’ on that dude. It was just gettin’ good when you stopped.”

Providence, RI
    Before John speaks, Mary can feel Emi’s arm tense under her touch. A surprisingly negative response, considering how she reacted in the past. However, once John reveals that he has business in London next weekend, Emi holds onto Mary’s hand just as tightly as the older woman has grabbed her.

This coming weekend? Emi asks John at the same time that Mr. Shaw says, You’ll be ready then?

Mr. Shaw’s expression doesn’t change, despite the news, as serving dishes are passed around and everyone fills their plates. He engages with Joe’s anecdote, allowing Mary and Emi some time to regain their inner composure.

21. - Top - End - #1401

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Before John speaks, Mary can feel Emi’s arm tense under her touch. A surprisingly negative response, considering how she reacted in the past. However, once John reveals that he has business in London next weekend, Emi holds onto Mary’s hand just as tightly as the older woman has grabbed her.

This coming weekend? Emi asks John at the same time that Mr. Shaw says, You’ll be ready then?

Mr. Shaw’s expression doesn’t change, despite the news, as serving dishes are passed around and everyone fills their plates. He engages with Joe’s anecdote, allowing Mary and Emi some time to regain their inner composure.
    Spoiler: John tries to hold multiple conversations! And sort of succeeds.
    Show
    John attempts to hold two psychic conversations at once (Superior much, John?): 1d12o12+1 6 1d6o6 4

Enough to do it but not enough to hide it — even with a benne re-roll that produced lower rolls.

John centered himself, drawing on what he had started learning from Emi when they went to have sushi. He had become somewhat adept at holding a psychic and mundane conversation at once. Holding two psychic conversations was something he had never tried before.

And, true to form, he would be attempting it with two of the world’s most powerful and skilled psychics — one of whom was his girlfriend and the other of whom was his fu…her father.

No pressure.

I did mention you would be celebrating Christmas with her, he replied to Emi, trying to keep his thoughts of that evening in the Spire from coming to the fore — the way she looked, her response to his bruise, her confession of love.

He stopped there, his focus wavering momentarily at the memory of her words.

The trick I told you about with using the failed orb was more successful than I had anticipated, he added, pulling his train of thought back onto the rails.

I will, Mr. Shaw, John simultaneously projected. I adjusted the process to take advantage of the power in one of the failed orbs and it accelerated the creation of the final orb more than I had hoped it would.

His memory of Emi saying she loved him cut him short.

He felt his brow furrowing with the concentration he was exerting and drew the conversations, as best he could, into a single stream of thought.

I had planned to let the two of you know when we returned to Iron Station. I hope you can forgive me for wanting to keep our attention on dinner this evening. It may have been somewhat selfish of me but…well, the two of you being here with my family is a significant event — one that is important to me and to the others gathered around the table. I didn’t want to complicate…and distract from that.

As I mentioned, the failed Orb added its associations with Mrs. Shaw to the Orb I had expected to work. It’s final transformation took place just before I left to meet you at the Spire this evening as it crossed the date of the incident which impacted her.

The carrying box, which will shield it and will strip the detritus of the spell of any associations with her, is nearly complete.

I can be ready as soon as Wednesday evening — Thursday at the latest. What I am less clear about is what needs to be done to alert AEGIS about my return to London. I know Seraph will release me to travel for this so I am not concerned about that but City of London may wish to alert the Palace and other agencies of my return.

A self deprecating smile played at the edges of his mouth.

Truth be told, I had been planning a speech that went into some of the details about the creation of the final Orb, hoping it would impress the two of you. You may have noticed I have a weakness for that kind of thing. I guess I’ll have to forego that now but I will conclude as I had planned to.

I am at your disposal. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

He finally raised his head as his father continued speaking of high school baseball and the activities the rest of the FPO had participated in — just soon enough to see Emi and his mother holding hands, leaning on one another for support.

He had somehow frightened her — although he could not know how. He had scrupulously avoided revealing anything about Mrs. Shaw. Had Emi reached out to her? That would have been a good sign and something he wished he would have seen.

Kate would know. He would have to ask her later.

Mr. Shaw, as usual, gave away nothing — even if he was pleasantly engaged in the table conversation. But some of the ease had gone out of him at his mother’s suggestion.

Spoiler: John, having spent time with Angels, knows he should fear to tread here — but does so anyway. Superior +3. Oy!
    Show
    John attempts to Pierce Mr. Shaw’s Mask! (Because, with Superior +3, he’s just stupid enough to make the attempt….): 2d6+3 13

Yikes. John is moving into the questions he may or may not be ready to hear the answers to.

What reassurance can I offer you, Mr. Shaw? To say I know how much this matters to you would simultaneously be an understatement and a lie. But I would like to help settle your mind, if I can.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

On The Prowl:

Raphael looks at Keith and blinks a few times in surprise. He hoists up the bag and says "Yeah, I think this is enough shirts, it better be anyway, and I definitely have Stella's gift covered, unless we come across something else that inspires me."

The young vampire's voice is tinged with confusion.

Raphael trains his gaze on Drake, his usual cheeky grin creeping back. "Then you didn't look hard enough, I'm sure you could've found something... -he clears his throat- Suitably Kawaii back there... maybe something from Lethal Missive? Is Yuki into that kinda stuff?"

He shrugs. "You're right, we've got all day and all mall here."

And then turns to Ryker.

There are rules about this kind of thing.
    Not that I can tell you that.
    Not that you'd get it anyway
    He thought.

"It's not as much fun when it's not perfect." His mouth said instead.

23. - Top - End - #1403

OldWizardGuy

Kate recognized that she had missed something. The atmosphere of the room had shifted with her mother’s suggestion that the Shaws join them to decorate their tree. Perhaps it was a step too far — too intimate a gathering too quickly? Nothing else had signaled that in Emi’s prior visits or in Mr. Shaw’s interactions so far.

Then it had shifted again when John had announced he would need to return to London to do something before the time he had planned to visit with the Shaws at Christmas. Whatever it was, it had frightened her mother. She had only seen that look once when she arrived in the emergency room after John had taken her there following a bad spill in gymnastics.

Emi had responded as well to the announcement. But unlike her mother, she did not appear afraid. There was something else there but whatever it was that made her clutch her mother’s hand as tightly as her mother clutched her’s had cut through the self-possession — the “Shaw Reserve,” John had called it once — that kept her unflappable even here.

There were too many missing pieces. John might have been able to pick up additional information prior to this. He was better at that than she was — even if he missed some of the emotional connections at times. Her mother had picked up on something (Note to Self: Review John’s time in London for possible triggers.) but Emi’s different reaction — which was something closer to restrained excitement — hinted that it was something different.

Dad and Mom would talk later, compare notes, and try to draw conclusions and they might offer some kind of hint in a way that Mr. Shaw was not right now.

John had been “speaking” with him somehow. The look of concentration on his face — which was different from the hint of pique at being reminded of how his statistical approach had been defeated — suggested that. Out of her peripheral vision, she noted that Mr. Shaw evinced nothing beyond an amused interest at her father’s stories. (Note to Self: They were getting along well.)

She could ask Emi later — either by text or in person, if there were time and privacy before she left. But this would be beyond the simple girl talk she loved having with her.

There were too many pieces missing from this puzzle and she did not want to pry. The Shaws had secrets to protect — just like the FPO had had to keep her father’s location quiet at times when they were growing up.

Dad had made that a game for them — creating their own three-letter agency — to teach small children how to handle dangerous secrets. While there was a little thrill when she was a little girl to having to play the part of a secret agent and keep things secret from her friends, she was older now and knew how dangerous secrets could be.

She glanced at Emi, offering her best reassuring, sisterly smile before turning to offer the same to Mr. Shaw.

Oh, God. If Emi became the sister she always wanted, he — the Alastair Shaw, a.k.a., the Eidolon — might become like an uncle or something like a father to her.

How cool was that?

“Fortunately for John,” she added to the conversation — part teasing her older brother, part sharing in their family story, and pat drawing Jefferey into the tale — “Jefferey was able to tailor his uniform a little. The guy who was the designated hitter before him was bigger across the chest — more of a power hitter than a base runner like John tried to be.”

“I was not going to let Boyfriend look like a scarecrow out there,” Jefferey observed before correcting himself. “John, that is. Boyfriend is a friendly nickname I use for him.”

“I suspect he figured that out,” her father teased gently.

24. - Top - End - #1404

NinjaGuy

December 5th
    No Store Left Unturned

Quote Originally Posted by The Boys
    Drake glances back at Raphael. “I did a quick look around. Didn’t see anything I thought Yuki would like. We have a whole mall to look around in though.”

Ryker tosses his bag over his shoulder and stuffs his other hand in a pocket. “Sometimes I don’t get you, Raph. I was hopin’ you were gonna keep rippin’ on that dude. It was just gettin’ good when you stopped.”

"It's not as much fun when it's not perfect." Raph's mouth said instead.
    "It's probably for the best things ended the way they did." Louis shrugs. "Thought the guy was gonna start crying icicles if you kept it up and I don't even wanna think about how bad the property damage would've been."

Quote Originally Posted by The Boys (Cont.)
    "What next, boss?"
    "I was thinking about making a stop at Salmon Ace Outlet to pick up something for my old man. We ended up losing some fishing gear in the river during our last trip together so I figured he might appreciate a few replacements."

"Any other spots we know we wanna visit? Louis asks.

25. - Top - End - #1405

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    “I’ll be fine,” Grayson mutters to Keith, still looking at the ground. His voice is tight and curt, and the air remains chilly in his immediate vicinity.
    Keith hears the curt tone and looks at the ground. "They have me on an extremely short leash after the other day." Nothing less than I deserve for being a weakling.. He thinks to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    On The Prowl:
    Raphael looks at Keith and blinks a few times in surprise. He hoists up the bag and says "Yeah, I think this is enough shirts, it better be anyway, and I definitely have Stella's gift covered, unless we come across something else that inspires me."
    December 5th
    No Store Left Unturned
    "It's probably for the best things ended the way they did." Louis shrugs. "Thought the guy was gonna start crying icicles if you kept it up and I don't even wanna think about how bad the property damage would've been."
    Keith was confused at Raph's response, and then realized he had just dropped the subject entirely. At least until Ryker brought it back. And Louis's comment made him irritated. He probably didn't mean it the way Keith was hearing, given that he had talked with Louis a bit more lately. But it still was too fresh in his mind to not feel the sting.

"Well, glad ya got the shirts you needed. And wouldn't count on it just yet Louis. Something's really changed there." Keith shook his head. "Can't place my finger on it, but something was totally different from when I saw him just before getting sent to the Void."

He turns back to Raph. "That was actually what I meant, but can ask later. Should be a time for chilling out and some fun." Keith stretched his arms a bit.

"I was thinking about making a stop at Salmon Ace Outlet to pick up something for my old man. We ended up losing some fishing gear in the river during our last trip together so I figured he might appreciate a few replacements."

"Any other spots we know we wanna visit? Louis asks.
    "Wouldn't mind running into the book shop real quick after. Even though it's a long shot, probably better to have something for Maeve than not." He shrugged. "That, or I find somehting that inspires me here."

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Ryker snickers at Louis’ words and gives Raphael a shrug. “I guess. I was just enjoyin’ the moment.” He looks back over to Louis. “You know we would’ve kicked his ass if he started somethin’.”

Drake gives Ryker a look that earns a wide grin from the former villain.

“I know, I know,” Ryker says. “Best behavior.”

After another second of staring down his teammate, Drake turns to Raphael. “She likes anime, but I don’t know which ones. I’ve never really watched it, so I don’t know a lot about it. Sometimes she’ll watch while I read, but most of the time, the subtitles aren’t on, so I don’t even know what the names of them are.”

“I was planning on stopping by the bookstore,” the South Side Team Lead continues. “I wanted to get a new book while we were here.”

Providence, RI
    Oh, John, Emi says quietly. I guess I just didn’t expect it to be so soon.

He can feel the full force of her emotions hit him for a moment before she dampens the contact. Excitement. Delight. Anticipation.

Spoiler: Notice TN 10
    Show
    There’s also the underlying tinge of… fear? It’s buried deep inside all of her other emotions.

Emi smiles reassuringly back at Kate as she releases Mrs. Kelley’s hand, and even Mr. Shaw gives her a light smile, perhaps in response to her thoughts.

Understandable, Mr. Kelley, Mr. Shaw says. He can feel Emi’s agreement through their shared link. This was, perhaps, not the best time to tell us, but it is welcome news.

Mr. Shaw’s tone grows sharper. You will be my guest. If any agencies have a problem with you returning to London, they can speak to me. If I must, I’ll petition the Queen herself.

“An interesting nickname,” Mr. Shaw says to Jefferey. “And, it seems, a long term one at that. Why ‘Boyfriend’?”

Reassurances… the psychic muses privately to John. His tone is somber. Just that, if this doesn’t work, it won’t harm my wife. The last time I attempted to cobble her mind back together, I unwittingly caused her a great deal of pain. I have not attempted to try again since.

27. - Top - End - #1407

OldWizardGuy

December 5th
    Providence, RI
    Oh, John, Emi says quietly. I guess I just didn’t expect it to be so soon.

He can feel the full force of her emotions hit him for a moment before she dampens the contact. Excitement. Delight. Anticipation.

Spoiler: Notice TN 10
    Show
    There’s also the underlying tinge of… fear? It’s buried deep inside all of her other emotions.
    Spoiler: John notices something!
    Show

It will be alright, Emi, John projected, hoping to reassure her. There’s nothing to worry about. The work is straightforward and I am taking enough precautions to make sure nothing will go wrong. By this time next week, the biggest question will be if we introduce her to the FPO at a dinner party in the Spire or a larger gathering in London.

If the situation were different, he might have felt a little hurt at her fear. But with something this important, anyone would be afraid. After all, entrusting the mental health and transformation of one’s mother to your magician boyfriend of less than six months (considerably less) when some of the most powerful beings on the planet had been unable to help her was not exactly a scenario for inspiring confidence.

Nevertheless, confidence in his abilities and his preparations were things that John had — and that let him project his reassurance to her without a shred of doubt or hesitation.

Emi smiles reassuringly back at Kate as she releases Mrs. Kelley’s hand, and even Mr. Shaw gives her a light smile, perhaps in response to her thoughts.
    Kate’s eyes narrowed momentarily as a certain reality settled into her mind. She was aware, in the abstract, that Eidolon — Mr. Shaw, that is, could overhear thoughts.

Her thoughts.

The ones she was having right now.

But it had somehow not occurred to her that it would actually happen.

She had no way of knowing if Emi could as well. (Note to Self: Confront John on this point. Buying Christmas and birthday gifts might be challenging enough without worrying about her overhearing her plans.

Like all the plans she had been hatching about arranging things for John.

Bother.)

She still wanted her for her sister, she thought defiantly. If asked directly, she would have been happy to admit it.

She regarded Mr. Shaw shrewdly — an echo of the look her mother sometimes got.

And if you have overheard, Mr. Shaw, she awkwardly projected, I will repeat myself. If I am fortunate enough to have your daughter as my sister, and I will continue to do what I can to advance that agenda, I think it would be amazing to have you as an uncle or father-figure in my life — even if I will find it frustrating that I will never succeed at surprising you or Emi with a gift.

It seems a very small price to pay for such a wicked great addition to the family.

Understandable, Mr. Kelley, Mr. Shaw says. He can feel Emi’s agreement through their shared link. This was, perhaps, not the best time to tell us, but it is welcome news.

Mr. Shaw’s tone grows sharper. You will be my guest. If any agencies have a problem with you returning to London, they can speak to me. If I must, I’ll petition the Queen herself.
    John decided, given his tone, that now was not the time to raise the issue that the threat to Queen Elizabeth II and her family was the precise reason Dee was viewed with suspicion.

Eidolon, however, cast a much more powerful shadow — one he had learned not to underestimate.

“An interesting nickname,” Mr. Shaw says to Jefferey. “And, it seems, a long term one at that. Why ‘Boyfriend’?”
    “Go ahead and tell him,” John reassured Jefferey. “I’m no less pleased to be in your society today than before.”

Jefferey beamed, grateful for all the years of support the Kelleys had given him and how John had stood up for him in the past — even when it cost him.

“I finally came to accept my sexuality between my final year in middle school and my first year in high school,” Jefferey explained. “I told Kate about it first because I knew I could trust her and that she would accept me.”

“We’ve always had each other’s backs,” Kate added with a little pride.

“John was different. I didn’t really doubt him but he was about to be a junior in high school. And, as your daughter seems to have noticed, he is a little cute.” He took a deep breath after his little joke. “It was a kind of test of how accepting he would be. Kate might call one of her female friends ‘girlfriend’ do I did the same with John — knowing their was an edge to it.

He shrugged a little sheepishly. “I wanted his acceptance, I guess. Momma and Poppa Two were going to give it to me and it turned out my parents had been waiting for me to figure it out — no matter how scared I was about letting them know. If John could accept me for who I was, I knew it would be alright.”

“Mom had to explain it to me,” John confessed, looking at her. “The thought of not accepting him was so alien that it didn’t occur to me.”

“After he stood up for me once or twice when people brought the nickname up, calling John Boyfriend began to feel like a bond between us.”

John smiled at Jefferey. “I’m glad you did. Those exchanges seem so trivial now.”

“Maybe,” Jefferey conceded before offering a somewhat wicked smile. “But I still can’t wait to see the look on Chaaahhd’s face the first time he sees you out and about with Emi in person.”

Reassurances… the psychic muses privately to John. His tone is somber. Just that, if this doesn’t work, it won’t harm my wife. The last time I attempted to cobble her mind back together, I unwittingly caused her a great deal of pain. I have not attempted to try again since.
    While there are always risks inherent in magic, they are more likely to impact the practitioner. The Orb of Algazelus is a challenging ritual item to craft and its use is not easy, but the mishaps recorded in the literature are all cases where the practitioner failed to prepare themselves adequately. I believe I have done so. And even in those cases, there was no pain to either the practitioner or the one they were attempting to heal.

Although being trapped within the spell for a longer period of time than was expected was hardly a positive result. That said, there were extensive extant notes on the ritual had been written by one who had been ill prepared and they detailed how to quickly and easily push the target of the spell out of its confines if something went wrong.

I will keep her safe and unharmed. Should danger arise, I promise that will take it upon myself and keep her safe in the same way I would do so with Emi.

Speaking of reassurances, John continued tentatively, I don’t know if it is considered bad form to ask this or not but I appear to have somehow frightened my mother with the news of this trip. Are you permitted to tell me why or would that be unethical?

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Mall Walking:

"Don't threaten me with a good time." Raphael murmurs at Louis, just loudly enough to be heard over the crowd.

"It amazes me people'll go fishing 'round here, what with the river king's monsters in every other puddle." Raphael observes. Briefly, very briefly, the vampire is taken by the line of though about how mortals manage day to day without regeneration, super strength, 'dumb' senses, and so on.

The crest of burgeoning sympathy and humanity is quickly chased away by him zeroing in on a bevy of unseasonably clad coeds in front of the massive fish tank in Salmon Ace.

"How'd you lose your stuff last time?" Raphael redirects with genuine curiosity.

He listens to everyone else rattle off places they wanna visit. He sees a kiosk that prints custom made-to-order shirts.

Maybe I should get one with my face on it for Cassandra. That cruel smile flickers across Raphael's features again in passing before returning his attention to his teammates and their guests.

Raphael eyes Drake for several long strides. "Shouldn't you... like... take an interest in stuff like that? She's trying to share something she's interested in with you, ain't she? What book do you want?"

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/whatnot
    Show

Question: Did I clear anything by going after Grayson like that?
    Raphael is still Angry, Hopeless, and Troubled

Action: Raphael unleashes his powers, for practice you see, to try and use his super scent and special eyes to get a better read on The Boys and see how everyone's really feeling about the excursion... and also trying to get used to picking out small, specific pieces of information in large, sensory-overloading crowds.
    Unleash! 7 - The GM will tell me how the effect is Unstable, Temporary, or has unintended ramifications.

29. - Top - End - #1409

AssassinGuy

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Ryker snickers at Louis’ words and gives Raphael a shrug. “I guess. I was just enjoyin’ the moment.” He looks back over to Louis. “You know we would’ve kicked his ass if he started somethin’.”

Drake gives Ryker a look that earns a wide grin from the former villain.

“I know, I know,” Ryker says. “Best behavior.”

After another second of staring down his teammate, Drake turns to Raphael. “She likes anime, but I don’t know which ones. I’ve never really watched it, so I don’t know a lot about it. Sometimes she’ll watch while I read, but most of the time, the subtitles aren’t on, so I don’t even know what the names of them are.”

“I was planning on stopping by the bookstore,” the South Side Team Lead continues. “I wanted to get a new book while we were here.”
    Keith just shakes his head at the conversation. This was just the constant of his life. Caught between groups as always. Maybe I should have just gone with Grayson and them..... He thought to himself. Then again, that would mean hanging out with Zack, and that wasn't exactly something he wanted to do.

His ears perked a bit as Drake mentioned what he did during the anime Yuki would watch, and Raph's thoughts on the subject.

"Could probably tell you a couple of them if you describe a bit. Also sure she'd put on subtitles if you asked too, or she'd give you a better translation." He shrugged. "And same question as Raph about the book. Maybe it'll spark some ideas for me too."

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

December 5th
    Mall Walking
    Drake glances at Raphael. “I never watched cartoons growing up, so I’m not super familiar with them. The stuff that she watches is on another level though. It’s weird. Not saying they’re bad, but I find it hard to get into them. You’re right though— I should at least pay a little attention. I did like the movie she showed us a few weeks ago.”

“As for books,” he continues, “My mom found out that I was reading for fun rather than for school and she gave me some suggestions. I think I’m going to try to find The Butterfly Garden today.”

Spoiler: Raphael’s Unleash
    Show
    As Raphael opens his senses, he does manage to pick out each of the boys through the assault on his sensitive senses through the crowd.

Drake is easiest, of course, with his odd, sharp, metallic scent and higher than normal body heat.

As the vampire begins to analyze the South Side Team Lead, his attention is suddenly pulled to one of the girls in front of the giant fish tank. His eyes zero in on a ruby-colored cut on the palm of her hand where fresh blood slowly oozes out. Her friends start to look around for an employee to help her, wafting the scent further into the air.

The Predator rattles its chain, demanding to be released.

His teeth itch.

OOC: Raphael clears Angry!

Providence, RI
    It will be alright, Emi, John projected, hoping to reassure her. There’s nothing to worry about. The work is straightforward and I am taking enough precautions to make sure nothing will go wrong. By this time next week, the biggest question will be if we introduce her to the FPO at a dinner party in the Spire or a larger gathering in London.
    John hears a small sigh in his mind from Emi. I apologize, John. You weren’t supposed to feel that. It’s not just about your spell. I won’t lie and say that I’m not a little apprehensive about it, but, as I told my father only half an hour ago, I believe in you. I know that you’ve done everything you could and taken every precaution necessary.

I… She falters for a moment psychically, though she is engaged at the table while Jefferey tells his story. I worry that I’ll mess up somehow with her. My mother and I were very close, but it’s been ten years. I’m not a child anymore. What is our new relationship going to look like? How hard is it going to be for her reconcile that the little girl that she remembers has changed so drastically?

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    She regarded Mr. Shaw shrewdly — an echo of the look her mother sometimes got.

And if you have overheard, Mr. Shaw, she awkwardly projected, I will repeat myself. If I am fortunate enough to have your daughter as my sister, and I will continue to do what I can to advance that agenda, I think it would be amazing to have you as an uncle or father-figure in my life — even if I will find it frustrating that I will never succeed at surprising you or Emi with a gift.

It seems a very small price to pay for such a wicked great addition to the family.
    Mr. Shaw smiles slightly without meeting Kate’s gaze as Jefferey speaks. I’d wondered who would be the first to attempt to speak with me tonight, he replies in her mind. His voice is gentle and quiet to avoid startling her.

I know that Emi would also be happy to have you as a sister. Please, continue to advance that agenda, if you wish. I’ll be happy to take on such a role, should your brother and my daughter’s relationship advance in such a way.

If you’re looking for pointers on keeping secrets from a pair of telepaths, your mother is actually quite adept at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey
    “John was different. I didn’t really doubt him but he was about to be a junior in high school. And, as your daughter seems to have noticed, he is a little cute.” He took a deep breath after his little joke. “It was a kind of test of how accepting he would be. Kate might call one of her female friends ‘girlfriend’ do I did the same with John — knowing their was an edge to it.

He shrugged a little sheepishly. “I wanted his acceptance, I guess. Momma and Poppa Two were going to give it to me and it turned out my parents had been waiting for me to figure it out — no matter how scared I was about letting them know. If John could accept me for who I was, I knew it would be alright.”

“Mom had to explain it to me,” John confessed, looking at her. “The thought of not accepting him was so alien that it didn’t occur to me.”

“After he stood up for me once or twice when people brought the nickname up, calling John Boyfriend began to feel like a bond between us.”

John smiled at Jefferey. “I’m glad you did. Those exchanges seem so trivial now.”
    “He’s especially cute with a picnic basket,” Emi jokes with a sly grin to John.

“It’s sometimes a great hurdle to be authentic to oneself,” Mr. Shaw says after a sip of wine. “There are many people that never find the strength to be true to themselves, and I’ve seen them suffer for it. I’m glad that you are surrounded by friends and family that accept you, and stand up for you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey
    “Maybe,” Jefferey conceded before offering a somewhat wicked smile. “But I still can’t wait to see the look on Chaaahhd’s face the first time he sees you out and about with Emi in person.”
    “I wouldn’t mind if that was arranged,” Emi says, mirroring Jefferey’s smile.

I will keep her safe and unharmed. Should danger arise, I promise that will take it upon myself and keep her safe in the same way I would do so with Emi.

Speaking of reassurances,
    John continued tentatively, I don’t know if it is considered bad form to ask this or not but I appear to have somehow frightened my mother with the news of this trip. Are you permitted to tell me why or would that be unethical?
    Thank you, Mr. Shaw says quietly.

He pauses, then continues, Am I permitted? Of course. There is no one to stop me. Is it ethical? I would argue that it isn’t. Everyone’s thoughts are hidden. Secret. There are very few that are comfortable with the notion of having all, or any, of their surface thoughts bared for someone to hear. Those genuine reactions are what people seek to keep hidden most of all.

But I will leave the choice to you.