New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Coffee Break

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki
    “Thank you, Mimi,” Yuki says. Her phone chimes and some of her apprehension fades as she reads it. “Drake just confirmed that they’re headed back to base.”
    Louis enjoys the last few mouthfuls of cake and coffee in silence as the team successfully tracks down Drake and Keith's current location.

He sets down his empty cup, the hollow sound emanating from it akin to the crack of a gavel in a busy courtroom. "Sounds like more than a few of us are ready to head back to the clubhouse?" He says with a measure of finality as he looks at the faces assembled around the table.

"I'd offer to drive everyone here but we only have room for one more."
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-03-31 at 11:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PK-Leon View Post
    Coffee Break

Louis enjoys the last few mouthfuls of cake and coffee in silence as the team successfully tracks down Drake and Keith's current location.

He sets down his empty cup, the hollow sound emanating from it akin to the crack of a gavel in a busy courtroom. "Sounds like more than a few of us are ready to head back to the clubhouse?" He says with a measure of finality as he looks at the faces assembled around the table.

"I'd offer to drive everyone here but we only have room for one more."
    "Take Yuki," Terrence says, washing down his last bite of cake with the remainder of his coffee. He offers a smile to Izzy, "Nice to meet you. I like your music. Let Louis know the next time you're playing live and I'll try to come check out your band!" Setting his cup on the table, he digs out some cash and leaves it on the table. As he gets up, he looks at Sophie and points to the door with his lips. "You ready to go so Louis, Raphael, and Stella can take Yuki back? Drake will surely be there by now."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Sophia echoed the sentiment to Isabel about the music and had no objection to the idea of who should go in the car. She debated with herself over travelling ahead of them to try speaking with Drake first, but internally shrugged away the idea. If a three minute chat with me can rattle their connection more than a life-or-death situation...my apology won’t solve much. She took a final sip of the hot chocolate, before surrendering the drink to the table. Even with the more than half way full glass staring back up at her in disbelief, after the earlier venting, speaking with Yuki, and seeing Drake and Keith put themselves at risk, she no longer needed the comfort. There were far worse problems than misunderstanding and hurting someone that didn’t fully deserve it, especially when she intended to apologize for it.

“Sounds good.”

4. - Top - End - #124

OldWizardGuy

Meanwhile, in Providence, RI
    “Hey, guys?” Stephen said to the other members of the Doyle Ave Quintet as he started assembling his clarinet, not quite able to look them in the eyes. “I’ve got some good news about a gig that I can’t afford you to say no to.”

“You need us to back you at Symphony Hall in Boston?” asked Kevin as he slid his bass’ amp into position. “That would at least explain why you sent us your new arrangement high priority this weekend.”

“You have to admit,” Laurel observed as she shifted the rehearsal drums into position, “it’s a wicked amazing arrangement. I had to look up that Shostakovich suite just to make sure you weren’t trying to play some kind of trick on us. It’ll be a pretty unique piece to add to our repertoire. You thinking of using it for your application to Berklee?”

“I’m interested to hear all about it,” Samantha purred into her mic, not looking back at Stephen. “Test, test.”

Stephen couldn’t help glancing at her as she swayed a little as she spoke, his eyes traveling from the garage floor up her legs and to her head.

She still didn’t turn around.

He could play it cool, too.

He turned away and locked eyes with Enrico, who had clearly watched him look Samantha over. The keyboardist shook his head and smiled. “So tell us, Stephen: Where’s this amazing gig and what are we getting for it.”

“Twice our usual rate for the night to play a single set,” Stephen replied quietly. “And you’re already standing in the venue.”

Everyone turned to look at him, surprise on all their faces—although Samantha and Laurel had knowing smiled playing about their lips.

He shrugged. “The trick is, we have to keep it quiet. It’s a private event here that my family is hosting. You know how we have special guests in from time to time. One’s coming this Sunday and Kate and Jefferey have promised a little dance music. You know how she can get with her negotiations.”

“This wouldn’t have anything to do with some of the photographs circulating online that everyone has been buzzing about, would it Stephen?” Samantha asked, her eyes half-lidded as she turned and looked at Stephen, her lips pursed.

Kevin strummed out ‘dun-dun-DUN’ on the bass, hitting the reverb hard.

There was only a flicker of a response from Stephen as he considered what those lips might feel like. His father would understand if the training he, John, and Kate had gone through to keep a solid poker face wavered a little in the face of such a face.

His mother might react a little differently. There was a reason for the tacit understanding he had with his father about getting to a gig when Samantha was singing.

“I must not have seen them,” he replied evenly. “Who are they of?”

“Come off it, Stephen,” Enrico muttered. “Even Kevin and I have seen them and heard the Sirenas disbelief. Given the number of them who have been looking at you as you pass and the increased number of them who are just ‘casually’ talking to you more often, you’ve gotta know. Your family’s rep for noticing things is too well known to deny that.”

“John’s the observant one,” Stephen observed. “I’m just the musical genius of the family.”

“You should have sent in Kate to tell us if you wanted us to swallow that line,” Laurel noted pointedly. “Everyone is dying to know if it could be true. We all know John is in London but whoever has been seen with Siren in Iron Station could be his twin if it isn’t him.”

“Look,” Stephen said quietly, “you have to keep this quiet. Yes, it is John. He went to Iron Station to check on some things—research on Elizabethan Magic and Marlowe, believe it or not. One of the libraries had some kind of manuscript he thought he could prove something with. You know how he gets.

“Anyway, he bumped into her and they started talking tea. Don’t ask me how they started dating because I’m still not sure how he pulled that off—unless it has something to do with the dance lessons we all had to take.

“Kate promised a chance for them to dance while they are here for Sunday dinner—hence the bonus pay and the need to keep things quiet.”

“You know we’d have your and his back on this,” Enrico observed. “John has helped each of us with our math homework at some point.”

“I’d do it just for a slice of the pot roast,” Kevin added.

“Mom may be arranging that for your tip,” Stephen replied.

“A chance to sing for not just a siren but the Siren?” Samantha asked, exchanging glances with Laurel before turning back to Stephen with a smoldering look. “We’ve got your back, Danger Boy.”

“Thanks, guys,” Stephen replied, maintaining his cool in a way he knew his elder brother could not, taking the quartet in from left to right, ending on Samantha and returning her gaze. “I’ll be sure it’s worth all you whiles.”

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    John can feel Emi make a wordless response, indicating that she heard him.

Shashka watches carefully as John places the piece of fish on the spoon and scoots it away from him. She drops into a stalking stance, tail high in the air, before she pounces on the morsel.

The doctor smiles as the demon ‘kills’ the fish as well. “I guess I’m just surprised that you’re so calm is all. Even if you’re trying to hide it.”

She shrugs and cuts into her enchilada. “You’re a bigger man than most to be able to send your girlfriend to check on another man and watch her give half the food that you brought for her to him.”

Back at Base
    Everyone arrives back at base in one piece. Yuki quickly disappears into Drake’s room after asking Mimi where he is.

A few hours pass before Mimi calls the West Side team together down in the training room.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    November 1st

Back at Base
    Everyone arrives back at base in one piece. Yuki quickly disappears into Drake’s room after asking Mimi where he is.

A few hours pass before Mimi calls the West Side team together down in the training room.
    After arriving back at the warehouse, Terrence grabs a bottle of water and heads to his room. He breaks his new gear out of his bag, planning to give it a good going-over since he is a bit unfamiliar with it. "Mimi, please playback the last full team action for me. I want to watch these guys in action. I'll watch any Halo footage you have prior to her arrival after that."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

7. - Top - End - #127

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    John can feel Emi make a wordless response, indicating that she heard him.

Shashka watches carefully as John places the piece of fish on the spoon and scoots it away from him. She drops into a stalking stance, tail high in the air, before she pounces on the morsel.

The doctor smiles as the demon ‘kills’ the fish as well. “I guess I’m just surprised that you’re so calm is all. Even if you’re trying to hide it.”

She shrugs and cuts into her enchilada. “You’re a bigger man than most to be able to send your girlfriend to check on another man and watch her give half the food that you brought for her to him.”
    Being fearless helps, John thought. It doesn’t do much for the insecurity, the jealousy, the territoriality, and the hurt of her concern for the individual who wants him dead, but it still helps.

Maybe he should have asked for the hug and kiss so that his scent would mark her.

Demons definitely easier.

“Thanks, I think,” John replied with a wry smile. “Let’s hope is that I am bigger and not just more foolish.”

Still, his subconscious was recording the fight or flight stimulus. He would pay for this later.

He rejected the option of sending Pinky down the hall.

After all, a wordless acknowledgement is a normal response and not just a sign of Emi getting distracted again by the presence of Grayson/Valèdeir.

Of course, they would strongly consider making a move. Her leaving him behind to, as Dr. Riviera so kindly pointed out, bring him half the food he brought (She tended to eat less, he reminded himself. The serving she had left behind was more normal for her.) and her silence now (She isn’t the one in the relationship who likes to hear himself talk.) were not necessarily one of the so many signs Taylor Swift had sung about.

No, he reassured himself. He could trust her. He should trust in them.

He had no reason to worry.

Time, perhaps, for a change of subject.

“Did Mr. Shaw or Seraph brief you on the results of my experiments today?” John asked, sitting down so that he had a clear view of the door. I would hate to bore you with information you already know.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Terrence
    “Unfortunately, I don’t have any footage of Halo,” Mimi says. Terrence’s TV turns on and she continues as a video for two separate visor cams starts to play. “This is from the incident on Saturday where the team ended up fighting several Crowns, a demon, and the Dragonovs.”

Spoiler: CCM- TN 4 for the Dragonovs
    Show
    The Dragonovs are a pair of high ranking Enforcers in the Crowns. Both brothers are also high-ranking drug dealers in the Crowns that shot to the top within the last few years. Mirko has no problem killing people to get what he wants, or anyone that pisses him off, while Kris acts as the voice of reason.

The cops have been trying to nail them down since they rose in the ranking of the Crowns, but no charges ever stick.

OOC: The ‘footage’ covers page 22 to 26 of Thread III if you’re interested in reading it.

9. - Top - End - #129

AssassinGuy

November 1st
    Back at Base

Following the deafening silence from Harbinger and Drake, Keith makes his way to get cleaned up as best he can. He takes a few minutes to text with Maeve after everyone gets back not long after they had gotten there.

Spoiler: Text to Maeve
    Show

Hey, we just got back to base alright and Drake's been healed by Harbinger. They've set up extra training times for me now too.

But I had a wonderful time today, and hope we can do it again soon. The date I mean, though fighting side by side was really nice. Come to think of it, how do you feel about horses?

He waited for her response as he made his way through some classwork, taking time to do so outside of his room this time to be near other teammates. About the time Mimi called them all to the training room, Keith tilted his head and went to put his laptop and notebook back in his room and made his way down there.

10. - Top - End - #130

NinjaGuy

Clocking In

"Take Yuki," Terrence says, washing down his last bite of cake with the remainder of his coffee.
    "Works for me." Louis replies as he turns to the shapeshifter. "If you don't mind waiting a minute or two that is? Raph and Stella can show you to the car. I won't be far behind." He adds with a reassuring smile.

"So... I started to make plans for Wednesday and wanted to know if you were in the mood to dress up or just wanted to it simple for night?" He asks the barista as the rest of the starts to make their way toward the door. "Either's fine with me. The only thing it changes is our altitude."

"Appreciate the hospitality Scott, I'll see you around!" Louis says as he makes for the door. The memory of Scott's veiled sadness replays in his mind and the delivery boy stops in his tracks. "Maybe sooner than later?" He offers with a soft smile. "I'll talk to Derrick and Charlotte about stopping by sometime."

The door chimes once more, signaling the heroes departure.

Practice Makes Perfect

Upon entering the training room the team will find themselves amid a landscape of barren white walls and floors covered in square panels. Several white cubes sprout up from the ground stopping around thigh level. Redline sits atop of a taller prism that juts out from the floor and sits with his thoughts in silence while as the team and their spectators file in.

"Alright, everyone's here and head of schedule! We're off to a great start already." The hero exclaims attempting to veil his building excitement. "This, is the training room." He waves an arm through the air for dramatic effect before bringing it to rest on his knee. A soft electronic hum echoes throughout the room preceding a digital shimmer that rolls across every visible surface. "I think it's pretty obvious what we're gonna be doing here but can anyone tell me why we're here right now?"
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-04-01 at 03:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

AssassinGuy

Clocking In
    Practice Makes Perfect

Upon entering the training room the team will find themselves amid a landscape of barren white walls and floors covered in square panels. Several white cubes sprout up from the ground stopping around thigh level. Redline sits atop of a taller prism that juts out from the floor and sits with his thoughts in silence while as the team and their spectators file in.

"Alright, everyone's here and head of schedule! We're off to a great start already." The hero exclaims attempting to veil his building excitement. "This, is the training room." He waves an arm through the air for dramatic effect before bringing it to rest on his knee. A soft electronic hum echoes throughout the room preceding a digital shimmer that rolls across every visible surface. "I think it's pretty obvious what we're gonna be doing here but can anyone want to tell me why we're here right now?"
    Keith looks around the room in awe. He hadn't been in this one for a good while and AEGIS's base room looked way better than what he had seen at East Side. Granted he was hardly allowed in there with everyone else.

As Louis poses his question, Keith raises his hand. "Because we need to work as a team and because of the news footage earlier. Learn from our mistakes and how to work with our strengths combining them with our teammates." He looked at the ground. It was so obvious. He knew mistakes would be made again, but he would at least try to learn from them.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Ashford's

Raphael is content to enjoy the company, the delicious cake, and his frivolous coffee. His only real contribution is to answer Sophia's question about music. "I'm just a metal head, mostly. I really like Annihilator, Sabaton, and Death Angel... and some weird ambient stuff like Nox Arcana."

His attention is drawn to the TV, and he looks on with an interested, easy smile. He frowns when Crowe eats pavement, which deepens into a scowl when his teammate takes another hit. He looks at Louis and says "Oh, we've got work to do all right." in an acidic tone.

After the group makes it clear they're ready to roll out, he paints a smile back on his face and says to Izzy "It was really good to see you again."

He stands to leave and does a double take at Terrence, "Using what, those chevrolegs? You can take my seat, I'll fly back."

He walks Yuki out with Stella and gives the magician a kiss on the cheek. "Ill see you at home. Be good." He says with a wink at both girls. He finds a nearby obliging alleyway and takes off as a murder of crows, heading towards West Side HQ.

Home:

In addition to Louis, the team finds Nightgaunt already standing in the training room, a few yards behind his fellow OG Member.

His costume is primarily black, with bold splashes of red across the shoulders and sides of his limbs. His gloves are fingerless, his face, head, and identity are concealed and protected by a full face helmet that is a simple, blank, red ovoid. It's only adornment and hint of which direction he's facing are bat wing like fins on the sides. Picked out in red in the center of his chest is a stylized icon of a blank face with horns.

He stands with his arms crossed, a faint shimmer of color whispering off of him the only thing betraying his foul mood.

"We're here..." He growls. "Because no more of you are allowed to die, you're making us look bad, and you demoralize the entire city when crap like this happens. Mimi, roll the clip!"

Nightgaunt half turns, not taking his eyes off the team, and points at the looping footage of Crowe engaging Marrow in melee. "What the hell is that?" He barks, starting to build up steam.

13. - Top - End - #133

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Home:
    In addition to Louis, the team finds Nightgaunt already standing in the training room, a few yards behind his fellow OG Member.

He stands with his arms crossed, a faint shimmer of color whispering off of him the only thing betraying his foul mood.

"We're here..." He growls. "Because no more of you are allowed to die, you're making us look bad, and you demoralize the entire city when crap like this happens. Mimi, roll the clip!"

Nightgaunt half turns, not taking his eyes off the team, and points at the looping footage of Crowe engaging Marrow in melee. "What the hell is that?" He barks, starting to build up steam.
    What was the point of askin' us then. I can figure out it's because of my second dumbest mistake.... Keith thought to himself as Nightgaunt started his tirade.

He watched the clip again and felt the pain in his ribs once again. He was making them look bad. Not anyone else, but him.

Keith looked at the ground in shame again. "One of the worst mistakes I'll make. I got over confident and thought he would go down and was wrong." Maybe they would have been better off if he had died. He wasn't doing a good job anyway. Nothing would be right, nothing good enough anymore. He was rattled already an couldn't even see where the lines between his own anger at himself blurred with fear.

"Ian was right......." He said quietly. He just made things worse.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    Louis
    “Hmm…” Izzy says, feigning actually thinking about it. “I think we should go with casual. I get dressed up all the time, ya know? It’ll be nice to go somewhere and I can just wear jeans.”

She smiles, watching the rest of the team go. “Be safe out there, Delivery Boy. See you Wednesday.”

Team
    Ryker and Drake enter the room and stand quietly at the back, watching the proceedings.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: Potential Pierce Tradition Ideas
    Show

1) Ephesians 6:12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
    Genesis 50:20 He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.

Halo is primarily interested in halting any demonic threats in the area she watches over. Anything like it that hunts or hurts humanity for its own selfish purposes is itself hunted directly. This tentatively includes humans that actively engage in left hand paths, but the Pierces normally turn a blind eye to the right hand side of the spectrum, even occasionally making alliances. Regardless, the primary goal is the protection of the majority of mankind. Saving lives and souls is the ultimate goal.

2) Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith.

(I have fought the good fight.) When it comes to humanity in general, the Pierce line of angels pull their punches, both physical and metaphorical. Supernatural threats have no such guarantee. (I have completed the race.) No one ever truly retires when chosen by this legacy. It’s a life long battle. Many will work peacefully in the background as support, and others will rarely help on the front lines, but none of the chosen Pierces have ever disappeared without their own bloodline trying to discover why. (I have kept the faith.) Over the many, many centuries, there have been several times when humanity didn’t have a kind opinion about these angels, but the Pierces still protected them.

3) James 2:18 I will show you my faith by my works.
    Matthew 5:16 Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works.

Every week, Sophia is expected to do at least one act of unmitigated kindness. This normally takes the form of voluntary work in her local community, now Iron Station. Halo can make an appearance instead, but it’s generally encouraged she do all this without the wings.

4) Titus 3:10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him.
    Proverbs 27:5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.

For very serious moral failings, the Pierces strongly believe humans are still entitled to at least one clearly worded warning before they actively use their powers against them. For much milder mistakes, a minimum of two is necessary. Demons, vampires, magic users, werewolves, and all other manner of supernatural threat are clear exceptions to this courtesy.

5) Proverbs 4:6. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.

The Pierce family, unlike many angelic families, have always chosen to hide in plain sight, and gather an understanding of the occult forces that seek to influence humanity. Sophia actively keeps her civilian identity separate from Halo, and makes a weekly effort to stay fully aware of any occult issues going on in the area she protects. Exactly as her mother, and the tradition, insist.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2023-04-02 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Change occult focus to demon focus

16. - Top - End - #136

RedKnightGirl

@Outside Her Room, hours after returning

“Hey Mimi,” Sophia tested uncertainly inside her room, still seated. It was unclear the AI could hear her, but some small part of her hoped it couldn’t. A free Amazon Alexa that was a thousand times smarter and programmed to help protect the city was fantastic, but she didn’t like the idea it might be always on in every single room. Thinking better of it, she decided to step outside of her room regardless, door ajar as she leaned against the wall divided her room from the hallway.

“Some questions. I know about Crowe, Nightgaunt, Miss Menagerie, and Dee,” Sophia said, because that had been one of the first things she had needed to pinpoint after her shower; why Raphael lacked an aura entirely. If that guy hadn’t broken my concentration when he did... Her mother had warned her not to use her true sight in busy places without having a solid grasp on seeing the higher realms, and worse, never to do it haphazardly. The dangers hidden among humanity were varied and many, and she hadn’t even imagined a rudimentary shield about her person before trying.

Amateurs make that kind of mistake. What was I thinking?

Sophia shook her head, realizing she had drifted away on her own thoughts. “Sorry. Mimi? I was asking about staff. Who else on site is deep into esoteric teachings? Or at least is supernatural. Werewolves or djinn or anything else.” She paused. “Actually, do you have any files on Myriad’s occult personnel? We can’t be the only big game hunters in town. Who else is out there?”

It was an entirely new city, and Sophia hadn’t even begun to make a dent in its troubles. But after today, it was obviously a bad idea to roam the streets blind. Information could save her life.

Not long after hearing the answer, Mimi announced that all the West Side staff needed to meet in the training room. Sophia headed down, knowing that meant they were approaching five PM.

Spoiler: Machine
    Show
    Everything not in the spoiler is something you can help with please? Basically asking who the supernatural/occult heroes in town are. Or whatever big name spooky stuff to be aware of. Scary sudden vampire guy made me slightly more cautious.

Practice Makes Perfect

"Alright, everyone's here and head of schedule! We're off to a great start already." The hero exclaims attempting to veil his building excitement. "This, is the training room." He waves an arm through the air for dramatic effect before bringing it to rest on his knee. A soft electronic hum echoes throughout the room preceding a digital shimmer that rolls across every visible surface. "I think it's pretty obvious what we're gonna be doing here but can anyone tell me why we're here right now?"
    Home:

His costume is primarily black, with bold splashes of red across the shoulders and sides of his limbs. His gloves are fingerless, his face, head, and identity are concealed and protected by a full face helmet that is a simple, blank, red ovoid. It's only adornment and hint of which direction he's facing are bat wing like fins on the sides. Picked out in red in the center of his chest is a stylized icon of a blank face with horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    What was the point of askin' us then. I can figure out it's because of my second dumbest mistake.... Keith thought to himself as Nightgaunt started his tirade.

He watched the clip again and felt the pain in his ribs once again. He was making them look bad. Not anyone else, but him.

Keith looked at the ground in shame again. "One of the worst mistakes I'll make. I got over confident and thought he would go down and was wrong." Maybe they would have been better off if he had died. He wasn't doing a good job anyway. Nothing would be right, nothing good enough anymore. He was rattled already an couldn't even see where the lines between his own anger at himself blurred with fear.

"Ian was right......." He said quietly. He just made things worse.
    @Training

“It is stalwart.” Halo corrected, arms crossed, wings glorious, clad fully in plate mail. She stood near a foot taller, too. Her eyes narrowed on the one throwing barbs from behind their supposed Team Lead, not understanding what game was being played, and liking it less. A gentle tilt of her helmed head indicated the sorcerer slathered in the raven motif to her right, busy berating himself.

“This one saved lives, helped a friend, spared love. What of you, leech?” she challenged, calmly. Her voice somehow echoed and carried both close and across the distance, as though the air were eager to share every breath she uttered. Her previous accent was altogether lost. “Did you enjoy your espresso, or did it lack too many vitamins?”
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2023-04-02 at 09:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaunt

Quote Originally Posted by Halo
    “This one saved lives, helped a friend, spared love. What of you, leech?” she challenged, calmly. Her voice somehow echoed and carried both close and across the distance, as though the air were eager to share every breath she uttered. Her previous accent was altogether lost. “Did you enjoy your espresso, or did it lack too many vitamins?”
    "Crowe's lucky to even be alive." Redline counters before the darkstalker behind him can retort. "There aren't many people who've taken a shot from Marrow and lived to tell about it, let alone walk away in one piece. Fortunately for us, Drake's built Ford tough." He nods slightly at the South Sider. "And the fact that Keith's standing here, practically unscathed, is nothing short of a miracle."

"I think your heart was in the right place Crowe. But your head?" He shakes his own and taps his temple twice. "Not so much."

"Feel free to say whatever you want when I'm through here but a bit of friendly advice: If I were you, I'd choose my next words carefully. Two fights in one day is a bit ambitious don't you think?" Redline questions in an even tone, his eyes hinting at a greater knowledge.

Spoiler: Provoke (Halo)
    Show
    2d6+ 2 (Superior) + 1 (Influence) + 1 (Team) = 7!

Redline spends a Team selfishly with a veiled insult to Halo!
    As a result Redline shifts Superior up and Savior down!

Redline attempts to Provoke Halo into backing down and going along with the exercise without incident by alluding to her "conversation" with Drake without explicitly stating it. While there are a number of ways he could've gone about it this approach gets the point across at cost of digging at the impact Sophia's actions have already had on the group dynamic.

If Halo doesn't drop her animosity towards Nightgaunt until the end of the training exercise she must mark a condition of her choice.

"While I wouldn't put it exactly like Nightgaunt did, he isn't wrong. Neither are you Crowe."

"To be honest with you I'm tired of seeing every new face come and go before I even get the chance to know the person behind the mask." Redline confesses as he looks between the three rookies. "We both are." He adds without needing to look back at his teammate. "So we're changing that starting now."

"As of today West Side's officially a team of five on paper but not in practice. Not yet. So if we're going to work together to get back what this city's lost then we'll need to start by laying out everyone's cards on the table. Since we're essentially rebuilding this team from the ground up we'll need to know what everyone's capable of. Reading a file can only get you so far which is why I opted for something more... practical." He says, excitement returning to his voice as a smirk plays at his features. "The three of you are gonna go head to head with Nightgaunt in a series of one on one sparring matches."

"Mimi." Redline calls out as he gets to his feet and stands atop the pillar. The walls and floors of the training room shimmer once more as a wave of light races across it's surfaces transforming the featureless space into an expansive rooftop with a panoramic view of the surrounding city. "The ruleset for these matches is simple. Land three solid hits on Nightgaunt and the round's all yours. But if he's able to score two hits before you can manage that then I call the fight there. Each fighter is allowed to use any power or equipment at their disposal." The pillar and several protruding cubes slowly recede into the floor until they're flush with the ground, adopting the same colors and textures as their counterparts.

"And just so we're clear, while your opponent is effectively invincible that doesn't give you a free pass to go all out here. We're ready to see what you can do but let's try to show some degree of restraint, got it? Doubly for you." Redline adds, looking back over his shoulder at Nightgaunt. "Any questions?" His attention returns to the initiates.

"Now if we're ready we'll start with Halo, followed by Crowe, then Augur."

Redline disappears in a streak of red light racing towards the end of the rooftop and stops just before reaching the edge. "They're all yours." He offers as he shifts back into his original form.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2023-04-01 at 09:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Did Mr. Shaw or Seraph brief you on the results of my experiments today?” John asked, sitting down so that he had a clear view of the door. I would hate to bore you with information you already know.“
    “Seraph did,” Dr. Riviera replies. “A result I was really hoping not to hear. A second Greater Demon in the city is not what we need right now.”

Shashka finishes off her morsel and then sits back in her haunches. She licks the spoon one more time before she gazes at John with her impossibly dark almond shaped eyes. They briefly dart down to his fish on his plate and then back to his face.

Sophia- 3pm
    “Yes?” Mimi replies as Sophia speaks her from her room. The AI continues once Sophia steps out. “As you may suspect, both Seraph and Harbinger are fairly well versed in all things demon. The only other expert currently in town is under contract to Myriad and is residing in the East Side base, similar to how John is operating here. Her name is Dr. Victoria Riviera. She is a world class demonologist, and a friend to Seraph.”

Team
    Raph vs. Sophia- Raph has Initiative!
    Raph vs Keith- Keith has Initiative!
    Raph vs Terrence- Terrence has Initiative!

19. - Top - End - #139

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    “Seraph did,” Dr. Riviera replies. “A result I was really hoping not to hear. A second Greater Demon in the city is not what we need right now.”

Shashka finishes off her morsel and then sits back in her haunches. She licks the spoon one more time before she gazes at John with her impossibly dark almond shaped eyes. They briefly dart down to his fish on his plate and then back to his face.[/I]
    John smiled at Shashka as he placed his iPad Mini where Dr. Riviera could see the results of his experiment before standing and retrieving the plastic spoon to provide another sampling of fish.

“If Seraph gave you the news, then I am sure he mentioned that, based on his uncle’s sensing, we suspect Zylas’ brother is the blot that does not match. I wasn’t sure if the blot itself was something that you couldn’t interpret. I’m afraid my knowledge of this experiment and the results that go along with it, is purely theoretical.”

John placed the fish-filled spoon slightly closer to him this time before returning to his side of the table.

He tried not to count the time since Emi started down the hall.

“Zylas mentioned his concern for his sister,” he added. “She is six or seven, as we would see her. If Jerek is willing to sell his brother out, I was concerned he might be willing to do the same for his sister.”

John frowned as he flaked off a bit of fish for himself, watching Shashka as he did. “The greater demon we had been fighting seemed to have some plans that involved a child sacrifice. Given that we have been collecting some of the Stones of Vanuusha, thus placing them out of reach for him, I have begun to worry about what might happen if he was willing to sacrifice his sister instead of a human child. Given what the Stones are reputed to be, I can’t help but wonder if he would or could harness the power of such a sacrifice to make up for the lost power the Stones would provide.

“Anyway, I am going to make an attempt to contact her for Zylas’ sake and to see what we can learn tomorrow. As you might imagine, he’s worried for her safety.”

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

November 1st
    Team
    Raph vs Terrence- Terrence has Initiative![/I]
    Augur sprints across the practice floor, relying on his precognition to guide him. As he closes with his team mate his vision doubles, what he sees in real time overlayed with Nightgaunt's response to his attack. As the vampire dodges left, a baton seemingly comes out of nowhere striking him in the ribs. The ex-quarterback presses the attack, catching the experienced hero with his other baton on the right thigh just as Nightgaunt recoils from the first hit. Terrence drops into a defensive stance to prepare for the return attack. "Got lucky on those, I guess," he says, a big smile under his face guard.

Spoiler: Fighting the good fight!
    Show
    Attack! 12 for 26

2nd Attack! 4 for 5

Using 1 Bennie to re-roll 2nd attack: 21 for 18

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

AssassinGuy

Team
    Keith looks up at Louis's words having winced once at Halo, and about stopping her. He nods at Redline.

"No, he's right. If Drake weren't as tough as he is, things would have been way worse. It's pure luck this all went the way it did for me."

He looks back up at the leader of West Side, finally looking like one, but Keith realized that he was just a rookie when it came to working with a team. Not in this business but as a team player.

"Get my head in the game…." He said quietly to himself thinking back to the revelation about Rin, the Empire, even just that he couldn't do anything else on his own now. "About time too."

Now this, is a leader. Keith thought comparing Louis to Ian. One was more focused on fixing a mistake rather than to just push it all away. As Redline disappeared and left the group to face Nightgaunt, and stepped aside so Halo could take her turn first.

Keith's Turn: Amphitheater of Anguish!

Crowe waited for the bell to ring and he flew up a bit to put some distance between himself and Nightgaunt. He had seen the other hero fight and knew it would be like hitting Marrow. Or worse.

He placed a palm in front of him and sent out a blast at Nightgaunt.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC
    Show

Crowe uses his ranged attack! Heavy weapon AP2.
    Shooting: 1d10o10-1 1 1d6o6-1 4
    Damage: 4d6o6 13

22. - Top - End - #142

RedKnightGirl

“I defend the innocent,” Halo answered Redline quietly, if earnest, her voice still a faint echo. But she went silent when Crowe accepted the assessment and while the rules were revealed. She cracked a smile on seeing she would go before the metahumans – defending them almost indirectly. Her wings took her airborne over the skyscraper in two effortless attempts, signalling she was ready.

Spoiler: Accept Provoke
    Show
    Accept not stirring up trouble for the practice and for the fun of the team. Add +1 to Team Bennies.

Really fun idea Redline. I mentioned it already, but it's still a useful reminder of Team Bennies, how to use them, and the shifting Labels thing, and how they all love together sometimes.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2023-04-02 at 12:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Get Ready....
    Fight!

VS.... Halo!

Nightgaunt opens his arms wide palms up, like he's inviting Halo to give him a hug. He takes a few steps forward, arms still raised, before breaking into a sprint across the rooftop. More than a dozen yards away from Halo, he makes a slashing motion in front of him.

Nightgaunt disappears.

A hit in the angelspawn's back, right between her wings, announces the Vampire's presence.

"Tag." Nightgaunt hisses.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Fighting roll vs. Halo: 3....
    Spend a benny! 2/3 remaining
    New Fighting Roll: 7 + 2 for Elan = 9,
    Gonna go ahead and play "Payback" and get another +2 against Halo for the scene, for a total of 11.

Tag!
    Halo has 1 of 2 hits remaining!

VS...... Augur!

Nightgaunt doesn't react to Augur's headlong sprint, standing still with arms crossed. Not until what he thinks is the last possible moment does he start to move, taking a step to put him off-line of Augur's rush.

Not too much... He reminds himself, starting to bring one arm back for a swipe at the armored Quarterback.

Two stinging blows send the vampire staggering backwards, both out of his attack, and his complacency.

Inside his helmet, Raphael smiles. Teach me to be cocky whydontcha?

"Less Luck, More Tortoise and Hare." Raphael says to Terrence with a Chuckle.

Show

Fighting Roll vs. Augur: 4
    well, no amount of shenanigans are gonna fix that

Nightgaunt has 1 of 3 HP remaining, Augur has 2/2

VS...... Crowe!

Nightgaunt brushes off the shoulder Crowe blasted and looks up at the Raven Hero. He tilts his horned helm to the side before becoming a shrieking cloud of Crowe's namesake, the murder rising up and swirling around him, beaks and claws, plucking and tearing at his costume and hints of exposed skin. One specimen, braver, dumber, or more expendable than the rest flings itself directly into Crowe's hood, trying to tangle itself in his hair.

Along with the cacophany and questing beaks, Crowe feels gravity weigh on him more and more...

Show

Nightgaunt transforms into a swarm and engulfs Crowe!
    Crowe takes 2d4 (2) damage automatically

Crowe is Negated!
    Roll Opposed Spirit!
    Nightgaunt got a....16
    For each success and Raise over the target number (your roll), reduce your Level in Flight by 1 (by my count, you've got 2 Levels in flight, so if you roll..... less than 12, You lose the ability to fly. Don't break your neck!)

Either Way, Crowe has 1 HP left, Nightgaunt has 2

Round II.... (Per GM)

Vs. Augur!

There's no way I'm going to figure out that gimmick in the time we've got left.

Nightgaunt play acts dancing around like a boxer, hands raised and balled into fists before leaping at Augur, claws out, red and black streamers trailing from them.

He slashes at the ground near the Pre-Cog's feet, hoping to ruin his footing.

Show

Fighting Roll: 3 +2 from Directly Engage = 5
    Directly Engage: 6! On a Miss, I am Shaken, Mark a Condition, or Vulnerable to your next action, GM's choice!

Vs. Crowe!

The Murder of crows spirals down and reforms into Nightgaunt just as he hits the ground.

Nightgaunt reaches out with one claw and jams it into Crowe's chest.

"Sorry Crowe, you're dead." Nightgaunt says, his amusement muffled by his helmet.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

AssassinGuy

[B]
    Get Ready....
    Fight!

VS...... Crowe!

Nightgaunt brushes off the shoulder Crowe blasted and looks up at the Raven Hero. He tilts his horned helm to the side before becoming a shrieking cloud of Crowe's namesake, the murder rising up and swirling around him, beaks and claws, plucking and tearing at his costume and hints of exposed skin. One specimen, braver, dumber, or more expendable than the rest flings itself directly into Crowe's hood, trying to tangle itself in his hair.

Along with the cacophany and questing beaks, Crowe feels gravity weigh on him more and more...

Show

Nightgaunt transforms into a swarm and engulfs Crowe!
    Crowe takes 2d4 (2) damage automatically

Crowe is Negated!
    Roll Opposed Spirit!
    Nightgaunt got a....16
    For each success and Raise over the target number (your roll), reduce your Level in Flight by 1 (by my count, you've got 2 Levels in flight, so if you roll..... less than 12, You lose the ability to fly. Don't break your neck!)

Either Way, Crowe has 1 HP left, Nightgaunt has 2

Round II.... (Per GM)

Vs. Crowe!

The Murder of crows spirals down and reforms into Nightgaunt just as he hits the ground.

Nightgaunt reaches out with one claw and jams it into Crowe's chest.

"Sorry Crowe, you're dead." Nightgaunt says, his amusement muffled by his helmet.

Show
    Crowe's eyes go wide seeing the one crow fly away from the murder into his hood. Oh ***-- He thinks seeing it and getting cut off as it scrambled into the shadow cloak. He felt gravity get heavier as he felt himself drop like a stone. He hadn't expected that from Nightgaunt.

As he lands on the ground to steady himself, he notices the claw aimed at his chest, and huffs a laugh. Bit too soon for that joke considering his earlier comments. "Thought I'd at least survive a bit longer. That's the goal then." He lowers the hood. He pushed aside his first thought considering they wouldn't want to joke about death. Did he wait all through Halo's match just to use that line? He wondered.

He held out a hand or fist for whichever Raph would take. "Thank you for the match, Nightgaunt. Gonna hafta do this again until I can get three hits on ya." He said with a grin.

After the chat, he'll make his way to the sidelines and watch Augur's match.

VS Augur

Keith watches the two trade blows and is surprised at how fast Augur seems to move. "So that's what his future sight let's him do. Can see why he got put here." He muses aloud.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Get Ready....
    Fight!

VS...... Augur!

Nightgaunt doesn't react to Augur's headlong sprint, standing still with arms crossed. Not until what he thinks is the last possible moment does he start to move, taking a step to put him off-line of Augur's rush.

Not too much... He reminds himself, starting to bring one arm back for a swipe at the armored Quarterback.

Two stinging blows send the vampire staggering backwards, both out of his attack, and his complacency.

Inside his helmet, Raphael smiles. Teach me to be cocky whydontcha?

"Less Luck, More Tortoise and Hare." Raphael says to Terrence with a Chuckle.

Show

Fighting Roll vs. Augur: 4
    well, no amount of shenanigans are gonna fix that

Nightgaunt has 1 of 3 HP remaining, Augur has 2/2

Round II.... (Per GM)

Vs. Augur!

There's no way I'm going to figure out that gimmick in the time we've got left.

Nightgaunt play acts dancing around like a boxer, hands raised and balled into fists before leaping at Augur, claws out, red and black streamers trailing from them.

He slashes at the ground near the Pre-Cog's feet, hoping to ruin his footing.

Show

Fighting Roll: 3 +2 from Directly Engage = 5
    Directly Engage: 6! On a Miss, I am Shaken, Mark a Condition, or Vulnerable to your next action, GM's choice!

Augur can't believe he avoided both attacks from the vampire. "Time to finish this before he attacks in a way I can't avoid..."

Nightgaunt's second attack, the slash at Terrence's feet, left him open for a counterattack. While he is still in his low stance and before he can return to guard, Augur brings his baton down in an overhand strike. He pulls the blow before it can do any damage, but he brings the fighting stick down on the back of his teammate's neck. "I believe that is a win, right?", he says, offering his hand to Raphael to help him upright.

Spoiler: All the OOC...
    Show
    Attack 1, Round 2: 15, 1 Not rolling damage, since it doesn't matter. That would have been another 5d6, right?
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2023-04-02 at 09:03 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    John smiled at Shashka as he placed his iPad Mini where Dr. Riviera could see the results of his experiment before standing and retrieving the plastic spoon to provide another sampling of fish.

“If Seraph gave you the news, then I am sure he mentioned that, based on his uncle’s sensing, we suspect Zylas’ brother is the blot that does not match. I wasn’t sure if the blot itself was something that you couldn’t interpret. I’m afraid my knowledge of this experiment and the results that go along with it, is purely theoretical.”

John placed the fish-filled spoon slightly closer to him this time before returning to his side of the table.

He tried not to count the time since Emi started down the hall.

“Zylas mentioned his concern for his sister,” he added. “She is six or seven, as we would see her. If Jerek is willing to sell his brother out, I was concerned he might be willing to do the same for his sister.”

John frowned as he flaked off a bit of fish for himself, watching Shashka as he did. “The greater demon we had been fighting seemed to have some plans that involved a child sacrifice. Given that we have been collecting some of the Stones of Vanuusha, thus placing them out of reach for him, I have begun to worry about what might happen if he was willing to sacrifice his sister instead of a human child. Given what the Stones are reputed to be, I can’t help but wonder if he would or could harness the power of such a sacrifice to make up for the lost power the Stones would provide.

“Anyway, I am going to make an attempt to contact her for Zylas’ sake and to see what we can learn tomorrow. As you might imagine, he’s worried for her safety.”
    “Just a little girl…” the doctor says quietly. Her gaze falls down to her food as she moves a little bit of the enchilada sauce around with her fork. “It’s even worse that your experiment revealed that Prince Jerek is probably the other demon. Since their House is destroyed and their parents are dead, he is the most powerful demon that isn’t of the High King’s House.”

Shashka eyes John warily when the fish is placed closer, but cautiously approaches. As she gets within striking distance, she nabs the price of fish from the spoon and retreats back to the first distance before devouring it.

Emi returns to the dining room. She looks briefly up at John before sitting in the opposite side of the table from him. Her food slides in front of her and she picks up her fork, but doesn’t eat.

“How is he?” Dr. Riviera asks.

“Very tired,” she answers. “Confused. I asked him to remain in his room so that he wouldn’t come across John while he was here and he didn’t understand why he was no longer allowed to see you,” she says, looking up at her boyfriend. “It doesn’t seem like Valèdeir has informed him of Challenges. I put off explaining to him; I didn’t even want to tell him I knew the name of the dragon when he doesn’t.”

27. - Top - End - #147

OldWizardGuy

“Just a little girl…” the doctor says quietly. Her gaze falls down to her food as she moves a little bit of the enchilada sauce around with her fork. “It’s even worse that your experiment revealed that Prince Jerek is probably the other demon. Since their House is destroyed and their parents are dead, he is the most powerful demon that isn’t of the High King’s House.”
    “It isn’t a comforting thought,” John conceded as he regarded the piece of fish on his fork and trying not to appear to be watching Shashka, “as he may lash out at me during my attempt to connect to his sister, since he shares the same bloodline as Zylas and Vrell. I don’t particularly like the approach but my options, as usual, are somewhat limited.”

Shashka eyes John warily when the fish is placed closer, but cautiously approaches. As she gets within striking distance, she nabs the price of fish from the spoon and retreats back to the first distance before devouring it.

Emi returns to the dining room. She looks briefly up at John before sitting in the opposite side of the table from him. Her food slides in front of her and she picks up her fork, but doesn’t eat.

“How is he?” Dr. Riviera asks.

“Very tired,” she answers. “Confused. I asked him to remain in his room so that he wouldn’t come across John while he was here and he didn’t understand why he was no longer allowed to see you,” she says, looking up at her boyfriend. “It doesn’t seem like Valèdeir has informed him of Challenges. I put off explaining to him; I didn’t even want to tell him I knew the name of the dragon when he doesn’t.”
    “I can’t imagine that Grayson would be happy with the thought of such a challenge, just as Valèdeir will likely not like learning that his name has been discovered,” John observed. “It does make me wonder what else Valèdeir is keeping from him and why he is keeping his name a secret. As a common name, it shouldn’t hold any magical power over him. Still, he managed to keep Grayson from hearing his name and claims when he ‘spoke’ with Jaal—although that could be explained by their using Draconic if Grayson doesn’t know that language.

“I am guessing Grayson will learn about this from your father?” John asked Emi gently.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

November 1st
    John
    “Options when you’re working with demons are usually few and far between,” the doctor agrees. She listens to Emi and John’s response before picking up her plate and standing. “I’m gonna let you guys talk and go catch the tail end of the new Paranormal episode,” she says to excuse herself from the conversation. “Let Nora know if you want to keep talking shop after it’s over, John.”

The demonologist vacates the room to give the two of them space. Shashka watches her go, torn between following and waiting for more delicious fish. The demonling’s wings flutter before she lets out a chirpy meow and jumps off the table, bounding after the doctor.

Emi sighs, cheeks tinging light pink as she pushes some black beans around with her fork. “My father is already upset with Grayson, after he left yesterday. I think he will be brusque with his explanation, and may not answer questions. He was already in a mood today after Myriad pulled him in last minute to do interviews with several captured Crowns about Nova, trying to connect the dots.”

“I think I’ll talk to him after you leave,” she says. “It will be easier to hear, coming from me, rather than my father.”

29. - Top - End - #149

OldWizardGuy

November 1st
    John
    “Options when you’re working with demons are usually few and far between,” the doctor agrees. She listens to Emi and John’s response before picking up her plate and standing. “I’m gonna let you guys talk and go catch the tail end of the new Paranormal episode,” she says to excuse herself from the conversation. “Let Nora know if you want to keep talking shop after it’s over, John.”

The demonologist vacates the room to give the two of them space. Shashka watches her go, torn between following and waiting for more delicious fish. The demonling’s wings flutter before she lets out a chirpy meow and jumps off the table, bounding after the doctor.

Emi sighs, cheeks tinging light pink as she pushes some black beans around with her fork. “My father is already upset with Grayson, after he left yesterday. I think he will be brusque with his explanation, and may not answer questions. He was already in a mood today after Myriad pulled him in last minute to do interviews with several captured Crowns about Nova, trying to connect the dots.”

“I think I’ll talk to him after you leave,” she says. “It will be easier to hear, coming from me, rather than my father.”
    “At least I know what I can bribe Shashka with in the future,” John observed as the demonling bounded out of the room. “I’m thinking I shouldn’t put the chicken tacos on the list of things I might be able to bribe you with, though.”

It was a lame joke but it was the only one he had at hand. Romance, it seemed, continued to be more difficult than dealing with demons.

“If you think it will help cheer your father at all, my next set of alchemical experiments will be on Nova, trying to isolate some to all of its component parts from Zylas’ ichor to see if the chemicals can be traced by conventional means. If he likes, I will forward the results to him. It will let AEGIS will be simultaneously torn between being miffed at Myriad getting intel from me and Myriad potentially having to admit they needed AEGIS intel.

“And maybe it will make him a little less annoyed with me.”

John sighed and smiled at his girlfriend. “In the meantime, what can I do to help you? You’re still stuck in the middle of all this and, as your boyfriend, I am supposed to help you out when you find yourself in trouble. Or at least offer a neck rub if there is nothing else I can do.”

He could worry about Grayson’s reaction later. For now, his focus was on Emi.

30. - Top - End - #150

RedKnightGirl

Mid-air

Disbelief registered across Halo’s face, before a powerful snap of the wings spun her to face the sudden foe – and another immediately launched her into a flurry of punches.

Spoiler: Misses Fight the Good Fight, Misses all Rapid Attacks (page 75)
    Show

Rolled 6 on Fight the Good Fight, so missed. GM decides what that means for me.
    Rapid Attack anyway: -2 Parry, -4 Fighting roll.
    Results are 3, 3, 2, 0. Not a great ‘day’ for self-esteem.

Vs Crowe

Oh, smart. Halo thought, even through the thick haze of her disappointment. The sorcerer had opened his round in the air with a ranged assault. It sizzled slightly off of the entity’s shoulder, a hit. But all too swiftly, Crowe was mockingly engulfed in endless ravens, and forced to touchdown. She grimaced at the sight. Fighting on land against the entity in a teen's body was like wrestling with an angry soccer mom at her kid’s sports meet – it would only ever go one way. Halo sighed when the claw was predictably jammed into the shadowmancer’s chest. The entire test felt impossible.

Well, at least Augur knows what he’s up against.

“Good luck,” she managed to mutter when it was the athlete’s turn.

Vs Augur

Halo glared at Redline from her vantage point on the sidelines, seeing no indication the silent referee was granting Augur any leeway. Instead the two sparring opponents stood facing each other, on opposite ends of the rooftop, a red armoured human that dumped his hockey stick for a baton versus the horned helmed entity with as many shapes as Yuki. Nightgaunt just beat two of us. Augur knows the least about his powers. How is this fair? The bell commenced the round – and her friend shot across the field at a sprint. She blinked at the audacity of it, but willed silently he might burn more of the timer than she had. Suddenly a baton was rammed to the albino's ribs, and another caught a thigh. Her mouth dropped in disbelief.

“Go Augur, go!” she shouted, Halo’s voice completely subsumed by Sophia’s.

Halo nodded in total agreement when Crowe assessed him, engrossed at the sight of the former quarterback somehow landing two hits on the more experienced fighter. But she narrowed her eyes at the clumsy swipe at the feet Nightgaunt answered with. Fatigue, overconfidence, or precognition making short work of the counterpunch, it was a clean miss, and impossibly Augur’s game to win. An overhead strike sealed the entire round in the metahuman’s favour, scoring a solid three hits to nothing. She cupped her hands close to her mouth, borrowing on her skill at altering pitch and tone to project her voice over to Nightgaunt and Augur, and mimic the low background rumble of excitement a crowd might when seeing its home team win, throwing in the odd whistle to push the point.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2023-04-03 at 03:12 PM.