New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The End of an Era Part 1

Ono maneuvers the boat, his crew growing anxious at the presence of the Island. You notice that no birds fly outside the perimeter rocks. The crows fly inside the perimeter and no seagulls nor cormorants can be seen. The crows perched in the rocks observe.

After sailing around for a little Ono speaks

We can't stay here long. The sea is quiet now, but the winds are changing and we cannot anchor here, please hurry up

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"...ick...!" Ahalyā was a child of the trees, not the seas! She looked up at Leylek (and his wings) hopefully. "Master Leylek, would you be able to fly ahead? Maybe carrying a rope we could use as a guideline? For those of us who are (ack!) not aquatically inclined?"

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

Understood, Ono-san. Leylek acknowledges Ono's concerns with a curt nod, before turning to offer a shallow bow to the Shaman. Hand me a rope, and I will aid you as I am able. raising a long, slender, taloned foot in the air and stretching his wings to test the wind, ready.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Perception to find a good spot to land and secure a rope: (1d20+10)[22] and
    Use Rope to actually do the latter if applicable: (1d20+4)[21];
    if the result looks… Not very good, he'll just hold the rope himself.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura sees the panic in the mans eyes and his plea and nods solmenly, "Of course master Ono, we shall set out, thank you for your service." he says bowing gently.

He then takes of his armor, accepting any help from any willing to assist. Once done, he ties everything in a sack with a piece of rope, and after making sure everything was good and secure looks to the others, "Ahalyā and Onka can take the floating devices, I should be fine" and then dives in.

Spoiler
    Show

Swim - (1d20+4)[21]
    Move straight to shore

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai \ Mirumoto Niten Master 2
    Level 7 Init 3, HP 61/61, Speed 30
    AC 21 Touch 14 Flat-footed 18
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6
    Stats Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 15
    Condition's Fortification 25%, DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Essentia 3
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [0/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects, Blade Guide, Eternal Training [1/1]
    speech: 008080

Mirumoto Niten, Ancestor (Blade Guide)
    Least Soulspark, Tiny Outsider (Lawful, Incarnum, Native)
    Hit Dice 2d8 Init 5, HP 16/16, Speed 20 ft., fly 30 ft. (perfect)
    AC 15 Touch 13 Flat-footed 14
    Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Stats Str 10, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 13
    Condition's Amorphous (immune to crits/sneak attack), DR 1/chaotic, Evasion
    Special
    -Attack Bonus: 0/2; +1 bonus to-hit&damage / Essentia
    -Deflection Bonus: 1/2; +1 deflection to AC / Essentia
    -Healing: 0/2; Fast healing 1 / Essentia
    -Saving Throw: 0/2; +1 resistance bonus / Essentia
    Attack: Soul blast +5 ranged touch (1d4+1)
    Skills: Diplomacy +3, Hide +14, Knowledge (history) +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +6, Spot +6
    speech: 40E0D0

Soulmeld Benefit Essentia benefit Invested Bound
    Mirumoto Niten dragonmark - +25%/e 1/2 Arms
    Mantle of Flame 1d6 fire +1d6/e 1/2 -
    Soulspark Familiar Blade guide Familiar multiple options 1/2 -
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Shimura jumps into the water with his gear nicely tucked an dry, it is cold, winter cold, and sends sharp pangs across the body: invigorating! Nothing as cold as the taw rivers of the Dragon mountain temples. He crosses the distance to the rocks in less than thirty strokes and finds good footing there.

No wonder Ono doesn't want to move the ship closer, the rocks are high and sharp. Shimura can stand there with his shoulders above water. The tide and the waves sway him, but it is not so complicated to keep still.

Leylek flies around the rocks holding the 50' rope, it's too short to find anything... well, there's the wet samurai standing on the rocks... his shoulders above the water, He could reel them in.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ahalyā wielded a death grip upon one of the baskets. Oooooooh, ancestors protect me from a wet death!

!SPLOOSH!

With a grunt, Raksha followed after her mistress into the cold water. The vanara was already engaging in undignified screeching about the temperature as she flailed for the guideline.

(1d20+3)[16] Swim attempt Ahalyā (-1, +4 basket)

(1d20+2)[3] Aid Another (DC10) if needed from Raksha

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Having found his way to shore much faster than he thought he would, he managed to stand upon some rocks, looking around he saw LeyLek with some rope "Bring it to me! I will pull them in!"

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6
    Condition's Fortification 25%, DR 1/-, Mantle of flame 2d6 fire on hit, Essentia 3
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [0/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3], +1 bonus on saving throws against paralysis and sleep effects, Blade Guide, Eternal Training [1/1]

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special
    Skills: Diplomacy +3, Hide +14, Knowledge (history) +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +6, Spot +6

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

8. - Top - End - #398

With a wordless nod, Leylek abandones his search for a better bulwark and delivers the rope into the Samurai's waiting hand. It is quite fitting, and even Leylek can see that much: Shimura-sama truly was that, all along the road travelled together, a bulwark, standing fast and strong. He'll lead them on, the bird knows that much as he rises somewhat higher into the air, scouting the shore to secure the landing of the rest, trying to block out the odd sounds the Vanara makes while crossing the waves, distracting as they may get.

Show

Perception: (1d20+10)[28]

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Shimura finds footing in between the sharp rocks and pulls the rope Leylek hands him, slowly towing a frightened wet monkey to safety.

Soon, all of you are standing on the uneven sharp rocks, the receding tide uncovers a path through them towards a dark opening on the almost flat and imposing wall of the cliffs. Above, way above, a murder of crows observe you, perched on the walls and behind a thickening fog.

However, Leylek can't fly towards them, once inside the circle of ropes, whenever he tries to fly higher than 10', the fog oppresses him back down, solid as a wall.

Ono shouts from the boat

I'll sail back here tomorrow at around this time!

And the boat starts sailing away.

What do you do?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Sometimes, a crow is just a crow. Sometimes, they are a warning. And other times, they could be something more...

Ahalyā eyed the murder with some concern. But the shaman nodded to herself and drew out the amulet the kami bade her to pick up out from under her tunic. Her grip was like iron on it though, hoping against hope it would offer some protection and/or safe passage.

"Ho, winged harbingers, we were bid to seek an audience with the Three Sisters who dwell here. If you are their eyes and ears, please allow us safe passage to and from them!" Ahalyā repeated it in the Spirit Tongue just in case.

(1d20+11)[20] Diplomacy (if applicable)

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura shakes the last of the water off him as he dons his gear, placing everything back the way it was before. Pulling them both in was hard work, but nothing he couldn't handle.

He opened his mouth to say something, and then Ahalyā decided to talk to the birds. His eyebrow raised slightly, the ball of energy that hovered around him this morning appeared, giving him a soft illumination, he narrowed his eyes, this was a dangerous place.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Shimura tries to find a place with enough footing to don his armor, but the shallows you are currently standing are uneven and washed by the water as it recedes. Difficult terrain and still with water up to your knees.

The crows caw, way above, and where they are perched seems so very far away.

Spoiler: Options
    Show
    Sorry, I wasn't more clear on the description. You are currently on the shallows, there's a cave opening between the cliffs ahead of you. The shallows are difficult terrain, and basically a maze of low and high sharp rocks with cockles and other rocky sea life. The waves are gentle as the tide is receding, but in some parts the water can go up to your knees. This is a very bad place for an ambush! You can go inside the cave, surround the island walking on the shallows, or attempt to climb the cliffs DC 20. Flying up or flying out is very difficult, as if traversing a lesser version of a solid fog. The crows seem to be above the fog.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka shakes off the cold water and waves towards Ono. We'll be back!

When Alhalya try's to talk to the crows the dancer looks surprised between the Vanara and the corvids and bows unsure towards the black birds. If you would? The cawing thankfully is they're only answer.

Let's head inside here. It kinda looks like an entrance and if these sisters are seers perhaps they already know that we here and perhaps they even want to test us? How does someone adress oracle-maneaters? I know my manners aren't the best.

Onka mentions with a glance towards Shimura.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

14. - Top - End - #404

I would assume you don't. Leylek tells Onka tersely, having landed beside the others with an annoyed grunt and giving the Shaman a side-eye in the meantime. The rest I can agree with. I don't like this water and I can't fly in this fog. It is not as it should be. he adds with frown. With the other birds far off and not bothering to respond, and the easy approach blocked, there's little else he'd bother to waste more time on. Still, he takes a quick look around, to make sure there's no path less sininister leading inland that he's simply missing.

Show

Survival (with +2 synergy from K. (nature)): (1d20+9)[14]

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Raksha, help Master Leylek find a safe path for us..." The shaman didn't know if the crows understood her or not -- or even if they deigned to care. Still, she had made the attempt and hoped it would work. Now they actually had to find these Sisters.

She safely tucked the amulet back under her tunic.

Raksha growled softly. The Wet washed away scents -- she didn't like that. But Ahalyā made a request of her and she would do her best to comply. Even if it was for the squawking bird...

(1d20+1)[12] Aid Another (Survival DC10)

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura sighs, and then starts to carefully head towards the cave entrance, "Master Leylek, can you keep an eye out for us?" he asks, and as an after thought he answers Onka "It is most likely they will address us. But I have never met a maneater before, so we will both learn the customs and courtesies therein." he said with a slight smile. "Perhaps we should offer them up the weakest member of our group as a sakizuke..."

Spoiler
    Show

Sakizuke refers to a small appetizer or starter served at the beginning of a traditional Japanese meal. Like an amuse-bouche, Sakizuke is meant to awaken the palate and provide a taste of what's to come in the meal. It's often a small, beautifully presented dish that showcases seasonal ingredients and the chef's creativity.

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You walk painfully across the shallows, twisting an ankle there and stepping on a sharp rock edge here. The crows above ignore you. You make it to the entrance of the cave. The shallows continue here, though the floor is flatter. There are water marks on the walls up to 10', this cave fills up with water when the tide rises, that much is clear. Inside, the place is dark and a breeze echoes the sounds of the waves around the island. The cave ahead is a long winding path, the inclined walls meet above, maybe 15' up making the cave a triangle. Roots and mud line the walls above the 10' water mark.

What do you do?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It was slightly reassuring that Master Shimura also wasn't sure about the proper etiquette but offering someone up was of course wrong but Onka's nervous mind jumped to something completely different.

What actually is a Sakizuke? I remember a certain noble mentioning that, always saying that he never got a good one at our village.

After the explanation Onka nodded and his eyes got big after reaching the cavern.

Of course we can't offer one of us as something to dine on! But shouldn't we have something for them? I mean we have the pearl of half-man-bosu would that be alright as a welcoming gift? I mean we do want something from them and I'm not sure if they will just help us of the goodness of they're maneating hearts...

Onka looked at the darkness of the cavern and nodded towards Shimura.

Could you go ahead Shimura-a... Sama? You have this thing shimmering around you and it would be good for us to have a bit of light if we go deeper into the cave.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2024-02-29 at 12:17 PM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    "Perhaps we should offer them up the weakest member of our group as a sakizuke..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    What actually is a Sakizuke? I remember a certain noble mentioning that, always saying that he never got a good one at our village.
    It is food. Leylek grunts, quite audibly displeased. Could it be that Shimura-sama wasn't entirely free of the the shadows' grasp? He glares at the cavern wall. And I cannot quite approve of this proposed course of action. the wall is told.

Of course we can't offer one of us as something to dine on! But shouldn't we have something for them? I mean we have the pearl of half-man-bosu would that be alright as a welcoming gift? I mean we do want something from them and I'm not sure if they will just help us of the goodness of they're maneating hearts...
    That spirit spoke with power. I will trust that carries this far. the bird suggests, stepping inside. Or they'll fight; for the Samurai's words aside, they aren't weak themselves. But for now, he merely ventures forth to look around, not without suspicion.

Show

The bird has low-light vision. Perception: (1d20+10)[13]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura grins as they discuss his off colored comment, tromping forward trying to find some solid ground to don his armor, he knew the water was receding, but the opposite of that is what scared him.

(if he finds a spot to don, he does so)

He mentally communicates with this ancestor, <Grandsire, can you assist with the light?> in response, the cave glows as if a sunrod were cracked. He nods in thanks and keeps moving ever inwards.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ahalyā turned her head away to give Shimura privacy. The comments about offering the "weakest" in the group to the Sisters elicited a glare from Raksha. Whether it was directed in jest at her, her mistress or the Very Nice But Fragile Hoomin who gave her a Present, the wolf was not amused. The fact that Leylek didn't seem amused by it either caused Raksha to tilt her head curiously at the crane warrior. Perhaps there was hope for him yet. Or, maybe he also was worried that he was also on the possible menu.

"Hurry, yes, yes. Can we go up yet in this cave?" Ahalyā said with more than a bit of concern about the water and when it would start rising again.

(1d20+7)[13] Perception (just in case)

22. - Top - End - #412

It slopes inwards and floods with the tide. Leylek adds his own voice to the Shaman's. We should move with some haste, Shimura-sama. He takes a few further steps forward, quite ready to follow his own advice, barring an objection – or indeed an order to the contrary.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Waning full moon, day 1. Five hours for high tide.

The cave winds down, uneven floor eroded by the sea. Once you walk inside the first 100', it is evident this isn't a single tunnel but rather a complex grotto with a high ceiling, as tall as 15'-20' on some parts and as low as 5' in others. Shimura's ancestral light casts dancing shadows with the intrincated walls labored by the sea and the accumulation of rain drops. Stalagmites are rounded as mounds eaten by the salted water, but stalactites fall down, sharp as lances dripping slow water from the island's surface. This is a maze.

Spoiler: maze
    Show
    Roll survival DC 15, add a +2 if you have K.Nature.

24. - Top - End - #414

Leylek's long neck weaves about, almost nervously as he examines the ground, the walls – scouting out their options. Still, although his scowl never lightens, he slowly nods to himself, at last. This way. he says flatly, moving on and in, deeper.

Show

I'll go ahead and assume the roll allows for picking a safe direction. Will edit if not.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka was absolutely over his head when they came across the confusing labyrinth and was just happy that Leylek seemed to at least have an inkling where to go.

The dancer followed while keeping an attentive eye to they're surroundings.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+10)[13]

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

In the dark of the cave, Ahalyā's eyes darted nervously, not wanting to get in Leylek's way. The low light, she didn't mind. No, it was how twisty the caverns were (not to mention the Very Real Fear of the ocean coming in any moment to drown them all). Was this meant to keep the Sisters entrapped as much as the spirit ropes were? Or was this their doing to trap unwary prey?

"Brrr...we are wary prey, yes!" Ahalyā muttered to herself, trying to keep her spirits up.

(1d20+7)[12] Perception (if needed)

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

finally feeling like himself, back in his armor, Shimura frowned, he did not like mazes, well, he enjoyed soduko here and there, but being stuck below tide, that was not fun.

He cranes his head backwards "Should we maybe not go back and circle around the island?" this just felt like a way to kill people.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +6

Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Special

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Waning Moon, four hours to high tide.

The grotto spins and snakes it's way into the earth as you labor your way through the maze. Each step makes it more difficult to turn around and walk back. And even if you did, the ocean is reclaiming the cave behind. You could have taken your chances climbing the steep cliffs or surrounding the Island. But here you are, in the heart of the sea.
    Leylek senses an instincts are honed to the steppe, but the crane manages to survive and find a way, much like life does. The waves bring water behind you, higher by the minute. Then, the grotto opens into a larger, much larger cave: The darkness around is so deep and the size of the cave so immense, that the dim light of Shimura´s ancestors barely manages to pierce it. You are all but a dot of light in an impenetrable darkness.
    The sound of waterdrops slowly falling from the ceiling above suggest both that there's water in the floor of the cave and that the invisible ceiling high above is filled with intricate stalactites.
    As you move into the darkness you soon are knee deep in water.
    What do you do?
    Spoiler: Survival DC 20
    Show
    Navigating this cave is extremely difficult

29. - Top - End - #419

Leylek clacks his beak in the gloom, rapidly pacing back and forth along the walls for a moment before he'd acknowledge with a somber frown: Finding the way might take more time here. or better skill than his; but that is no thought he wishes to entertain just yet. But the size of this space is a blessing, all the same. he is quick to present the flip side: he is of warrior blood, and will do as his kind does. Fight. Fear, his own or of others by his side is just another foe, to ride around and harass, and to fell, if possible. With a ceiling that high, drowning is far easier to avoid.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Leylek takes you further down the immensity and dar grotto, but now his step is not so assured, and twice it seems that you have been around the same stalagmite sprouting out of the cavern floor. The water is above your knees in some places. After nervous prodding and walking, the grotto narrows a bit ahead of you and in the impenetrable darkness beyond Shimura´s ancestral light, you all percieve something watching you. In the water, something grazes Onka's ankle, like a rapidly swimming fish, cold.