New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: The End of an Era Part 1

There's an awkward silence as Onka prostrates himself and reveals his deeds to Genji and the Regent.

Genji is the first one to speak.
    Justice is not to be delivered with rage nor despair; it is grave what you have done. Whatever the reasons, we cannot allow murder to go without punishment- And yet this is not the moment to punish it blindly.

Genji raises, slowly drawing his Katana. Onka hears a voice in his mind as the katana is unsheathed "Bow deeper, I see your heart, I see no evil".

Then Genji speaks again:

This is my legacy and my curse. The sword that cannot lie, the blade that cannot rule, for ruling is always unfair. I cannot grant you pardon, but I can tie your heart to your vow. If you accept, you might find honor, If you don't, there will be no peace for you in this word or the next. And even if you accept, I need the others to be willing to travel with an honor less man, What say you? All of you.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka had the inkling of an idea to look up, when the sword was begin to get unsheathed and was ready to run away but when a voice spoke in his mind, he pressed his head deeper into the dirt.

I was aware that I was living on borrowed time, if I have any chance to reclaim my honor I will, with all that I have.

Onka stays on the ground, awaiting the judgement of the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura bows gently to the respect shown to him and his ancestors, and then his face wrinkled at the discovery he would be traveling with a murderer.

A frown creases his face as he listens to everything, and when faced with the question, it takes him a few moments to form his words:
    "In the heart of the samurai, Gi and Jin intertwine like the threads of a finely woven tapestry. With rectitude, we find the strength to face adversity, guided by the moral compass that Jin provides. It is through the harmony of integrity and benevolence that we shape our actions and inspire others to follow a path of honor and compassion." he says solemn, as if reciting a tome "I will travel with Onka, and teach them the way of Honor and of the bushido code, and when we are done, I will bring them back to face the consequences of their actions." he pauses "Perhaps by then, we will see the true color of their honor, and maybe my lords will have softened their hearts towards benevolence."
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-12 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ahalyā cocked her head curiously at the now-prostrate Onka. Only a few hours she had been sharing dumplings with this man. And an hour or so later, she had seen a spirit enter him while he danced. Had such a spirit influenced him to take a man's life then? Onka made no such excuse at least, only to state that the regent and Genji would have been aware of the murdered lord's "doings". As if there was some justification there.

The vanara's brow furrowed in thought. Honor was something the humans insisted upon in these so-called "civilized" lands. And respect for family, for the land, for one's ancestors -- these were good!

But too much insistence on honor -- or what a few in power insisted on how honor should be -- could be dangerous. A cage of spiked bamboo. But there wasn't much Ahalyā could do if Onka wanted to willingly return to that cage. Likewise, it was probably NOT a Good Idea to voice such suspicions and concerns right now. Not when there were more pressing matters at stake. And one samurai had already expressed his willingness to travel (thank the spirits for that!) with Onka.

"For the sake of these lands and this mission, I will travel with Onka." Ahalyā said simply with no judgement.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

The customs of this land, my lord, I know not well enough to dare break the staff over the back of another. Leylek frowns, motionless. But these must be honest words and are the words of the contrite. This is a warrior. he points at Onka's form with his beak. I will let blood wash the blood away and fight by his side to draw that blood, if that pleases you.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Genji nods. His blade approaches Onka's brow until the tip of the katana touches his forehead.

This blade is called Truth's Blessing, it can read your soul and will carry the weight of your oath.

The blade flashes and Onka feels a wave of psychic pain.

From now and for the lenght of thirty moons you'll serve the realm to the best of your ability, you'll be its undefatigable guardian and will give your life to reclaim the scriptures and protect it from its enemies. Shall you decide to take another path, the sword will punish you.

Now, lets go. There's little precious time.

You use the tunnel as a short cut, the sohei give you three horses and provisions. It all starts here in this clearing near the river banks. Dawn is breaking by the time you start marching.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    We will use milestone leveling, unless you need XP for crafting. In which case, consider you have 1/2 what you need for leveling up

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka keeps still, not afraid of the blade anymore, he cries out when the pain hits him and momentarily loses consciousness, but he's still be able to follow the others.

When dawn is breaking he kinda realizes that his life is on some kind of time limit, which is not all that bad, considering the former way his life was going.

Thanks for standing by me, without really knowing me. I'll repay it somehow.

Any idea, despite Alhalya and me as a performing duo and you two as protection for our travel identities?

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura nodded as he witnessed one of his new companions received a geas from Genji, he would uphold his end, and he would have to watch how this Onka will uphold theirs.

Upon waking early, Shimura boiled some tea as he watched the others wake, and prepare for the journey. At the comment from Onka he smiled, a short smile, one of amusement.

"We shall provide the truth, Onka, you shall be Shugyosha, Ahalyā will be your spiritual guide, and Leylek with myself are your guardians on this journey." he says simply, as if it were a matter of fact and beyond reproach.

He looks at everyone and nods, as if what he said had finished the conversation, "Let us ride out, we are in much haste"

Spoiler
    Show

In feudal Japan, a person atoning for a penance or seeking redemption might be referred to as a "shugyosha." Shugyosha translates to "a person on a spiritual journey" or "a person undergoing ascetic training." This term encompasses individuals who engage in acts of self-reflection, purification, and seeking enlightenment as a means of atonement for their past actions or to deepen their spiritual connection.

Miromoto Shimura
    M LG Human (dragon) Samurai Level 5, Init 3, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    AC 18 Touch 14 Flat-footed 15
    Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +4
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 15
    Condition None
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [3/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3]
    Boon Mirumoto Niten dragonmark 0/2 essentia invested (25%/e fortification)
    speech: 008080
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-12 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #99

Agreed. Leylek nods, curtly, on both counts. The truth is the best, if one can afford to speak it. And days of war are a precious commodity, not to be wasted. A pity this will stay slow and soft for what he expects to be far too long, he thinks to himself with a frown; but the frown passes, supplanted by a scowl as he moves to take point and see to setting up the chase: no matter what he wants, duty comes first.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Survival, if needed for tracking: (1d20+12)[29] (+4 synergy; subtract 2 if the tracked are not humans)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ahalyā had finished her morning meditations, finishing with a prayer asking the spirits for their guidance in successfully completing this mission. She gave Raksha a skritch behind her ears before they headed out.

"Is good story. And true! Yes, yes, yes..." The vanara's head bobbed in agreement with Shimura. "More complicated story like river mills -- too many moving parts! One breaks down, hard to find and fix in time, yes! Now...which way is best way to go?"

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Ahalyā
    F CG Vanara Shaman, Level 5, Init 2, HP 27/27, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will 13, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6-1, x2)
    MW Sickle +6 (1d6-1, x2)
    Least Crystal of Adaptation Leather Armor +1 (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 16
    Condition Endure Elements (from Least Crystal of Adaptation)
    Low-Light Vision

Spoiler: Spells today
    Show

LVL 0
    Detect Magic -- 2
    Guidance -- 3

LVL 1
    DOMAIN (Nature): Trance -- 1
    Protection From Evil -- 2
    Speak With Animals -- 1
    Shield of Faith -- 2

LVL 2
    DOMAIN (Knowledge): Detect Thoughts -- 1
    Commune With Lesser Spirits -- 1
    Ancestral Vengeance -- 1
    Bull's Strength -- 1

LVL 3
    DOMAIN (Knowledge): Clairvoyance/Clairaudience -- 1
    Mass Aid -- 1
    Dispel Magic -- 1

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh, tea. Do we have eggs? Could you put one in mine?

Onka thinks about the idea a bit and finally nods.

Yes, that works for me.

Show
    Handle Animal: (1d20+4)[18]
    Ride: (1d20+5)[23]

12. - Top - End - #102

A river mill is not a story. the bird grumbled, his head close to the ground. Nor is our task, or how we go about it. This way! his head snaps back up, indicating a likely trail.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura stifles a grin as his companions chatter, his stoic face remained, perhaps latter he would open up to them while they were eating, he thought to himself as he watched them gather their things, Master Leylek already seemed to know where to go, this was good.

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +4
    Condition None
    Special Law devotion [1/1], Belt of Healing [3/3], Anklets of Translocation [3/3]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Interlude**

Leylek scans the ground at the other side of the tunnel, the tracks of several horses disappear on the stream but are easy to locate on the other side. By now, and with the decision to rest -against your orders- the riders must have ten or twelve hours on you. They travel light, as the animals hoofs do not seem deep.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The track is easy to follow, the light horses were at full throttle and not trying to cover their pass. However, their pace means that they'll be hard to catch. The track takes you snaking down a series of cliffs and hills on the side of the sacred mountain where the wild colors of the incoming spring blush the mountain passes in an enthralling palette of lights as the sun moves with the day.
    Ahalya, These are ancient forest, worked by men and by spirit folk, crafted by thousands of years of common life, the presence of the spirits is strong.

As you move down the trail, Leylek guiding the way and watching from above, the wind gets chiller and chiller, and soon heavy clouds mask the sun, by the early afternoon the air is filled with tiny snowflakes gently falling all around the mountain passes, the track of the horses becomes harder and harder to follow, it makes you stop and re-consider when the trail splits in two: uphill or downhill?
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Leylek: Survival checks and Let me know if you want to fly-scout

The snow is eerie, however, too late in the year and there's an unnatural silence around.

16. - Top - End - #106

Leylek emits a low, strange hiss and his frown grows yet more displeased than before. I will need a moment. he pronounces – perhaps to murder the ground or yell at it – at least that's what the tone would seem to suggest. Soemone keep an eye out. I don't like this snow, Shimura-sama. he adds, fairly certain that he is merely voicing what the others think as well as he lowers his long neck once more, creeping forward and about, studying the ground.

Show

Survival: (1d20+12)[30] (-2 if a human on horseback is not a human; +2 if Raksha Aids); no flying just yet.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Shimura rides hard with the others following Leylek as he tracked their quarry, he was musing about a Samurai creed that was hammered into him when he was a young one in training: "Like the flowing river, the true strength of a samurai lies not in haste, but in the unwavering resolve and steady rhythm of their actions. With measured steps and focused breath, we navigate the path, honing our skills and mastering the art of patience. It is in the calm and deliberate pace that we find clarity, precision, and the ability to strike with unwavering accuracy when the time is right.", his thoughts were cut short as they entered near the Ancient mountain, and the colors of the forest took his breath away.

He looked out in awe at what the great spirits were capable of doing, and it filled his heart and soul with joy, he had forgotten for just a moment, they were chasing honorless assassins.

He nods at Leylek's words as he watches the lazy snow float down, "As you say Master Leylek, Everyone, keep your heads on a swivel, there is something about this...."

Spoiler
    Show

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +4
    Condition None
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Raksha, watch over me..." Ahalyā scrambled off her mount and sat cross-legged. Yes, there was definite evidence of spirits here. Perhaps one could be convinced to show them which direction the quarry had gone off towards...

...or she could tell if there was something evil causing this unnatural weather.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Casting Trance

Spoiler: Trance notes
    Show

Divination
    Level: Shaman 1, Nature 1,
    Components: V, S,
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: 120 ft.
    Area: 120 ft. spread, centered on you
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

You place yourself in a deep trance, during which you cannot move, speak, or take any action.
    In the trance, you are highly attuned to the powers and forces in the immediate area.
    You can sense certain magical creatures and effects within the spell's area.
    Each round you remain in the trance, you feel the presence of any one lesser spirit, greater spirit, curse, permanent magical effect, or haunting within the spell's area.
    You can determine the general type of thing contacted (such as natural spirit, evil haunting), but cannot communicate with it in any way or gain any other information about it.
    Using this spell does give you enough information to subsequently cast commune with lesser spirit or a similar spell to communicate with the spirit you desire to contact.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When it becomes colder Onka wraps his hands around himself and try's to keep warm. He did prefer to dress as lightly as possible and a brisk breeze doesn't make him shiver but this! Snow like that at this time? What's up with that freak weather?

The dancer decides to go off his horse while Ahalyā meditates to walk around a bit, stomping his feet, rubbing his hands, all the things you do to keep at least a little bit more warm. He try's to look around for any danger but really feels too cold to look at his surroundings.

Show
    Fort save against cold: (1d20+4)[21] Whatever effect it has depends on the exact temperature I think. Auranghzeb you can roll damage to speed things up.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Leylek

You squint as the snow falls and covers the tracks forcing an urgent decision. Which were to go?

Whilst you know a human on horseback is not a human, you know that one of the horses has no shoes and no rider and that they went uphill.

The wolf confirms it.

And yet, even from your position, you can't see anyone ahead.

Ahalya

While the ranger scouts ahead and makes sure you are on the right path, you fall into a trance. To commune with the spirits of the mountain.
    In the first six seconds there's nothing. Then the snow registers as unnatural, a haunting, recent, not very powerful but growing; there's silence elsewhere, and the snow may be the cause. An eerie silence of the spirits where there should be many. For almost half a minute you concentrate... there's a faint aura around Shimura, his ancestors protecting him. Another around Onka that you have seen before. But elsewhere, the snow obscures the forest spirits.

Onka

The cold is not biting yet, it chills you to the bone, but there's no real harm. But as a peasant from this lands, you understand that if it keeps going on, it may well kill the flowers before they bear fruit. A bad omen.

Shimura

Focusing on the light snow, you let your mind wander without ever losing your awareness. Steadily, your breath in the cold air becomes thicker.
    Everyone but the murderer seem comfortable under the snow, the dancer shivers.
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2023-07-21 at 05:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Leylek turns his head halfway back, the scowl still on. It's upwards. he says, curtly, before tilting his head to a side incredulously. And someone please wake up that Vanara.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka nods towards Leylek and, rubbing his shoulders for warmth, goes towards Alhalya and, very gently, nudges her. We should go upwards. Have you found anything out? If this weather continues it's gonna be even more bad than it already is.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"AH!" Poked by Onka, Ahalyā's eyes flew open. She shook her head worriedly. "The snow...there has been a haunting here recently. And it is growing. It blocks the spirits! We must tread carefully..."

Meanwhile, were wolves capable of giving the stink-eye? Must be a trick of the snow with whatever expression Raksha is shooting towards Leylek.
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2023-07-21 at 07:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The snow continues it’s hypnotic slow fall and soon the trees and rocks are covered with a light white mantle. You move uphill, with leylek fully focused on the tracks that disappear under the snow. At least is better than rain, the tracker thinks, rain washes the ground, snow settles over the prints.

For an hour you move through the mountain pass. Eerily empty and silent, the road winds through tall thin trees, the cherry and almonds give way to darker shades of green and the bare branches of perennial trees.

Then, as the road narrows so only one horse can pass at a time, the horses become restless. And so does Rakhsha.

Spoiler
    Show
    roll handle animal and perception checks

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Onka try's to keep himself occupied with warm thoughts and try's to get as close to the warm horse body as possible to shield himself from the cold and this enervating snow. When the horse begins to make unusual movements he whispers in it's ear.

It's all good, it's fine, I'm here, it's all good. While stroking it's neck and looking around to see if anything may have disturbed the horse.

Show
    Handle Animal: (1d20+4)[9]
    Ride: (1d20+5)[25] (Should a failed roll provoke a ride check.)
    Perception: (1d20+9)[12]

26. - Top - End - #116

What is it, again? Leylek murmurs, mostly to himself but very irritably as the horses begin to act off. Staying on the tracks is a task enough without all the distractions, and he doesn't expect it will get any better with more snow on them. His head snaps up and about as he quietly pledges to just strangle whatever the new issue is, if at all possible.

Show

Perception: (1d20+5)[17] (add +2 if humans are involved).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Completely out of his element, Shimura was relying on his companions to guide him, and he dutifully followed on his horse, his eyes focusing on what was around them, he would stay vigilant, such was his oath.

His horse began to whinny, and he had trouble controlling the animal suddenly.

Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal = 22 (nat 20, rolled in discord)

Miromoto Shimura
    Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +4
    Condition None
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-25 at 09:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Onka, your horse is panicked and you can't make it move forward as it starts rearing wildly, however, you manage to ride it through and stay on its back and the narrow road does not allow the horse to trot back nor forward.

Shimura, as your horse starts whining, yo grab the reigns firmly and press your knees while you whisper. The horse breathes hard and quickly, but you stay on top easily. Behind you, Onka is having a harder time.

Lelylek, you can't see what scared the horses, but you start hearing hoofs ahead, through the snow, coming your way.

Ahalya

Raksha growls tensely and tells you there's an evil presence ahead.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Ho, evil approaches! Prepare for battle!" whispered the vanara shaman urgently. She then began to murmur a spell hoping to aid in such a battle...

Spoiler: Action
    Show

(1d20+2)[6] Initiative

Casting Mass Aid: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects, plus (1d8+5)[9] temporary HP all for 5 minutes

30. - Top - End - #120

Leylek nods with an odd, dark satisfaction, with the same old scowl still on. I hear hoofbeats. he says, spreading his wings, ready to kick himself off the ground. Shimura-sama, do we stand?

Show

Initiative: (1d20+4)[18]