New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tyrant's Grasp: The Dead Roads [IC]

The dwarf shakes his head looking down at the gleaming akashic belt that took the blow. Then shifting into an aggressive form enabling large titanic swings to extend his reach. That done he stampes after the crow advancing 40ft after the flying crow.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

R1T3: The dwarf shakes his head looking down at the gleaming akashic belt that took the blow. Then shifting into an aggressive form enabling large titanic swings to extend his reach. That done he stamps after the crow.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T31:
    Sal continues to take a quick second to observe the witchcrow, repositioning to an area between a bush and thickets to take a measured shot that hits near the base of the neck with a light crit for 6.

R2T23: Camael heads north and west to attack from the other side. He puts too much power into his swing and misses.

R2T20: Helena, what do you do?

Gwennid on deck, Drake in the hole ...
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Helena mutters an oath that would shock her parents under her breath. Scurrying forward for a clear shot she throws up an arm and the bow letting fly with another arrow, aware that she doesn’t have that many left!

Spoiler: OOc
    Show

Move 25ft directly north
    Shoot the crow
    (1d20+7)[8] dam (1d8+2)[4] + (1d6)[6] fire

4. - Top - End - #304

R2T20: Helena mutters an oath that would shock her parents under her breath. Scurrying forward for a clear shot she throws up an arm and the bow letting fly with another arrow, aware that she doesn’t have that many left! And now one less as she missed by a very wide margin.

R2T18: Gwennid flies and hooks around from the northwest and with her light-spear reformed they stab the witchcrow in the belly for 4. "I can tell from the way the spear reacts with its body that it is definitely an evil creature, not unaligned like most psychopomps would be," they say, "which is strange, all things considered."

R2T7: Drake steps south and shoots at the creature again with an impossibly perfect shot that hits the thing in the head for 28 + disabled + prone + unconscious, and it falls to the flagstones of the graveyard to hit for another 2, unmoving. Something about that shot seems to refresh Drake.

R2T3: Grum, what do you do to the identified-as-evil creature?

Sal on deck, Camael in the hole ...
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looks at the beast and nods in satisfaction as it thuds to the ground. Approaching the body he nods to Drake, "Aye lad, that were a good shot with that strange thing of yours". Standing over the bird he'll look at it cautiously for signs of its recovery from the brutal gun shot and hit it if it is needed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Advance to downed bird.
    Ready to strike it if it seems to be healing or recovering

6. - Top - End - #306

Camael ensures the evil is dispatched with a brutal drop of the mace.

Combat Ends!

As soon as the bird is defeated, a round-faced boy comes forward with a red stone saying, "This was da bird's bubble. I stole it. You can have it."

What now?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-08-20 at 05:38 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Helena looks at the boy thanking him for the bauble, then looks at the children. ”Little ones, how are you doing? Could you all go to the town square to meet your parents?” She waits to see if the children scatter before looking at the stone and detecting magic

8. - Top - End - #308

The children look disorganized and do not leave, each in their own childish way stating that they'll wait for you to go with them, in case of any other scary ghost-people and angry birds.

Helena is unable to recognize the aura on this unmistakably magical stone, though the aura itself is strong. Sal asks to take a look and then holds onto the magic rock, but it even stymies him. For now, the magic rock is a mystery.

Once the children and the town council have been convinced of the situation, Mayor Grive calls a meeting in what passes for the town hall: a large clearing surrounded by dead sycamores.

Do the PCs want to disclose the news that the town's inhabitants are dead, or leave the task up to Mayor Grive?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Helena thanks the child for rock as she looks at it in a vexed manner before dropping it in a pouch for later. Turning back to the children she takes a couple by the hand as they snake their way back to to tyevtown square

Grum approaches the mayor nodding respectfully. ”Problem wi’ Arabella sorted now. And the wee ones know they be passed, a crow told ‘em.” Looking at the assembled crowd he shakes his head, “I’m nae telling ‘em.”

Helena for her part pauses and gently shakes her head. ”I do not think I’m best suited either. They don’t know me that well, I think it may be best from someone who knows what they are talking about …” as she looks at Drake, Sal and Camael, “Or their mayor?”

Show

Helena and Grum will decline suggesting that someone with higher diplomacy take over. Neither have been that successful in their own attempts to persuade the people they’ve talked to

10. - Top - End - #310

Cam nudges that Sal should be the one to speak, since he is able to read people very well. Sal tells Cam that really only works with individuals, but that as an angel he has proven in the past to have a silver tongue. As they are arguing quietly over who should be the one to address the crowd, little Gwennid approaches the center of the congregation.

Though creepy, strange, and otherworldly themselves, androgynous in a completely undefining way, and veiled with strange vegetable habiliments to boot, yet Gwennid's higher-pitched pierces the subdued air with appropriate solemness and a verve that now all the PCs realize that Cam and Sal could not match without help. Gwennid explains the situation, and does so with the forcefulness that Helena lacks, and with the respect for the audience that Grum cannot invoke.

The people of Roslar’s Coffer stir and murmur uncomfortably, but a look of placid acceptance begins to spread. One by one, the figures in the audience begin to exude a warm glow. As her own light slowly brightens, Mayor Grive turns back to speak. “I suppose, at least, there will still be someone on the other side who still remembers us. Just please, promise me that you’ll find out what happened to us when you get back, and that you’ll go to the capital and tell them what killed the people of Roslar’s Coffer.”

"I and Helena, each in our own way," says Camael, "will consider this a sacred duty."

And with that, it is time to return to report your success to Umble and Thoot.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311

When the PCs report their success to Umble and Thoot, Umble explains that psychopomps must often come and go from the Material Plane. Unlike many outsiders, psychopomps can’t inherently travel between planes; instead, they take a series of extraplanar pathways called the Dead Roads, maintained by the psychopomp usher Barzahk the Passage. Umble and Thoot know which Dead Roads connect the Boneyard to Lastwall on Golarion, allowing the PCs to return to Roslar’s Coffer.

The Dead Roads resemble a raised roadway approximately 15–20 feet across. The exact appearance of the Dead Roads varies according to who sees them and that individual’s own understanding of the word “road,” but, in general, the Dead Roads are unremarkable, winding, and devoid of signs. To either side of the road, the ground slopes away steeply into silvery mist. Creatures that leave the road and enter the mist find themselves wandering the back hills of the Boneyard. Only the occasional way station—buildings varying widely in appearance and acting as tent pegs holding the extraplanar network in place—break up the gloomy monotony.

Now that they now what the Dead Roads are, and assuming the PCs are ready to take them, Umble says, “Well then, yes, I suppose we are prepared. The ritual is quite simple, but I must ask you not to pay too close attention, as we’re not technically empowered to perform this bit of extrajurisdictational transposition.

“Like most things involving psychopomps, the Dead Roads rely on a complex bureaucracy. They’re maintained by Barzahk the Passage to allow us to come and go, but creatures of... of non-psychopompological nature need authorization to prevent abuse. Specially appointed bureaucrats control way stations along the routes, and can offer a stamp on your body to pass freely. Without a stamp of passage, beings tend to, oh... ‘slide off’ the Dead Roads and land back here—hopefully. We never did locate more than a few fingers from that one poor waywardarian Keleshyte who found his way in.

“The route to Roslar’s Coffer passes three way stations: the Palace of Teeth, a manor called Nine-Eaves, and Salighara’s Scriptorium. You’ll need to stop at all three to make your pilgrimage back to Lastwall. Each way station master will probably charge for passage. Given your pauparian circumstances, I assume they’ll trade services. I hope.”

She continues to explain that The Dead Roads aren’t straight, instead crossing over and around each other in a complicated network; as a result, the PCs can approach the three way stations in any order. Umble strongly recommends the Palace of Teeth first, as it is the “closest” and the easiest to retreat from, should the PCs need to return.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Helena had watched the two fade away with sadness but was happier at the prospect of getting out of the Dead Roads if they managed to get through these three locations. "What do these stamps look like?" she asks the pair of pyschopomps as they explain what to do?

"I dinnae like the sound O' Paladce of teeth..." Grum chips in, but then shrugs, "Nae a care which we go tae first/ That ones seems as good as any other." He'll add looking around to the trio of strange men and Gwen for agreement.

Helen for her part looks at her quiver where only 4 finely fletched arrows remain. "Only 4 left. I shall try and use them wisely.." she adds. "If any of you see any more please let me know." she asks gently to the others.

Grum nods. "Aye I will do lass. Bad thing to be running so short. Maybe at the Palace o' teeth or one of the others they'll have some more eh?"

13. - Top - End - #313

(The two of ... what ... fade away?)

At Helena's question about recognition of the stamps. Umble says in an embarrassed warble, "I am sorry. I feel much bashfulation that I am without comprehensibility on how to identify the stamps. Hopesomenessly, that may be something you can figurate?"

Regarding Grum mentioning the Palace of Teeth, Umble says, “It’s a small castle constructed by... I say, Thoot, who constructed it? I’ve no idea, actually. Its current occupants are malicious little pixies who collect teeth. Rather pesky. They raid the graves of the Boneyard, so I imagine they’ll accept a few teeth in trade.”

Drake and Sal both grumble and say at the same time, knowingly, "Ugh. Tooth fairies.

Drake asks, "Why do a bunch of psycho tooth fairies want to control one of the psychopomp way stations?"

“I cannot even fathom Barzahk’s reasoning regarding this appointment, but positions staffing the Dead Roads are far from coveted among my normally quite sociable kind. I imagine it pertains to a case of prolonged occupancy implying a certain element of ownership.”
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looks at the men, "What be wrong with the fairy? I thought fairy's were friendly wee beasties?" He at Helen and Gwen seeing if any of them can expand upon the thinking of the worry about tooth fairies.

15. - Top - End - #315

"What, tooth fairies?! No," says Drake. "Ancient European monsters that would sometimes do more than raid graveyards, but seek out the living for their teeth as well. Tiny creatures, but swarmers."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Grum shakes his head and grimaces "Sad times. I be missing the full dwarven helm that covers the teeth". Helena shivers and covers her mouth, "I guess no-one will smile too much at this palace then." she adds.

Motioning down the oath she starts walking down the road towards where Umble and Thoot had directed them. "I wonder how long it will take us to get there? Does anyone need to rest?" she asks the group at large. Grum shaking his head to say "no".

17. - Top - End - #317

Nobody offers a need to rest, and so the group begins walking the Dead Roads.

It takes three hours of walking by foot before you get to a site that abuts the Dead Roads. This tall, narrow castle rises from atop a hill near the road. Constructed of weathered wood and ivory-colored stone, the building is studded with thousands upon thousands of teeth, arranged in neat rows and spirals. The castle’s only windows are high and narrow. A tall gatehouse leads into a courtyard, its floor paved with yellowish bricks and old teeth.

Although the castle is primarily made of fine marble and wood, teeth are used as decoration throughout, giving it a macabre feel and a drab, yellowish color. Twilight is the order of the day on the dead roads, but the heroes see much brighter light escaping small slits on the second and third floors of this castle, a tell-tale of bright, artificial light inside at least some of the castle.

It has been almost a full day with Roslar's Tomb, working with the citizens of Roslar's Coffer, and travel here. But not yet enough that you would be force marching just to begin exploration. Also, who knows what lurks along the Dead Roads should you decide to bivouac out here, instead.

What do you do?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Helena looks at the keep and whistles through her teeth. "Not exactly friendly looking place" she suggests to the others staring at the tooth covered ramparts and walls. She draws her blade from her waist, flexing it slightly, "Lets hope I an find more arrows in here".

Grum nods, "Aye lass, I'd feel better if ye had a bow in hand. But it no be looking nice." he stomps up to the door and has a slow look around the gateway, ears and eyes alert for danger...

19. - Top - End - #319

Grum moves up to the field of rubble to what is a passageway in a gatehouse, the only visible entrance into what must assuredly be the Palace of Teeth. Just before Grum gets too far in, he thinks there is some type of trap their, and he notes a large bundle of teeth hanging overhead. The passage is about 6' wide and 10' high.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

The brothers go up to take a look at why Grum stopped.

"Alright, let me and my brother handle this," says Drake.

With Camael using his mace to provide light (remember the fire beetle guts?), Drake assists Sal in carefully. The boys just barely manage to disarm the trap.

"It was a type of 'clattering teeth trap," explains Sal. "Really hard to spot, and a pressure plate would snip the line holding up all those teeth and would have made a hell of a racket. It was a noisemaker designed to alert the denizens to .... us."

Now what?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Grum nods his thanks, "Nice job lads. Would be nasty I'm sure tae set off a trap, even if was just a noisy one." Helena standing nearby nods in agreement, "Oh yes. Please keep an eye out for any arrows you may find? I am very low on them."

Helena nods at the gateway as Grum hefts the blade shifting into the offensive titan blade stance, ready for what may threaten them as h heads through the gate slowly and carefully, eyes scanning for any danger.

22. - Top - End - #322

Grum pushes past into the space beyond. This small courtyard is surrounded by walls 12 feet tall. High above, an arched bridge spans the courtyard from north to south. The courtyard is paved with bricks and teeth in intricate floral arrangements.

A narrow passage to the south leads outside, while an ornate wooden double door studded with whorls and spirals of humanoid teeth stands opposite the passage, leading to the north.

A heavy wooden door stands on each side of the passageway in the south wall. The handle of the east door has been removed, leaving a gaping hole. The west door is secured with an elaborate lock, supplemented with an additional lock and handle, apparently from the east door.

As the rest of the party spills into this courtyard, they find they are not alone!

Surprise Round!

S17: There is a magical emanation to the west that blow softly over the back rank of the party. Gwennid slumps to the ground, breathing softly but unconscious.

S14: Though just as surprised as everyone else, Camael's strange nature allows him to act in a flow of time not understood or easily reached by mortals. He steps over by what caused the emanation and hits it with his mace for 10 mod + disabled.

S10: On the other side of the party, more magical emanation but crossing to the far side, and Camael's mace clangs to the ground as he now drifts to the ground, asleep.

S9: From the northwest corner of the alcove with the double doors ... another magical emanation. Sal now tumbles to the ground, asleep.

S7: An emanation from the far west of the courtyard.

Grum and Helena, roll a Will save ....
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Grum will save (1d20+8)[12] (+4 if steel soul saves vs spells applies)

Helen Will save (1d20+5)[22]

24. - Top - End - #324

S7: Helena easily resists, but Grum only resists by mentally calling on his dwarven ancestors to protect him, for he feels slow and lethargic of limb, yet fights off the effect. Drake, likewise, completely ignores the effect.

S6: Finally, another emanation from the ENE. Grum and Helena, Will save again ....
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Helena shakes her head, "Ugh.. what is this." she gasps as Grum grinds his teeth. Hands tightening on hi blade as he tires to focus

Spoiler: Will Saves
    Show

Grum will save (1d20+8)[9] (+4 if steel soul saves vs spells applies)

Helen Will save (1d20+5)[9]

26. - Top - End - #326

S6 (Cont'd): Helena shakes her head to speak, but the combined weight of several of these magic attacks prove enough to drop both Helena and Grum!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327

The Windchaser boys are waking everyone up, and they say not to attack the tooth fairies ... well, Drake says that more begrudgingly, but Sal is the one mainly giving the message.

"One threatened to rip out Cam's throat," says Sal, who apparently was woken by Drake. "So, I played a hunch and spoke in French and surrendered. They actually didn't try to force teeth or anything once the surrender was made, but they mentioned that their leader is the 'powerful and crafty' Prince Uspid. They pointed our way to the northern double doors to seek audience."

Grum, Helena ... the hot-headed Drake is controlling his actions (though not his completely unveiled contempt for the creatures) ... do you descend into hostilities as a point of (wounded) pride or get back into formation and head to the double doors?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Helena instinctively raises a hand to her mouth before breathing a sigh of relief as she finds her teeth intact. Pulling to her feet she slings her bow into her back but keeps a hand by her weapon hilt. ”A Prince they say. Very well. By the way what is French?” she asks with a look at Drake and Sal.

Grum rolls to his feet, the Juggernaught blade dragging on the floor with a loud scrape. He looks at Drake, ”Little fey scum.” he snarls. Then taking a deep breath he sighs heavily, “Aye let’s see this Prince of fey. And drive a blade down his tiny throat.”

29. - Top - End - #329

Grum and Drake lead the way forward and go to the double doors. No traps are detected, so the two in front open the doors. This ornate room spans the entire width of the palace. The north end consists of a floor-to-ceiling stained-glass mural of skeletal knights with halos surrounding an angelic figure. Globs of metal and bits of teeth affixed to the stained-glass angel give it a repulsive appearance, with a mouth far too wide and teeth attached to its fingertips. On either side of the stained-glass mural are two delicate archways. From the room beyond comes the faint sound of flowing water.

The southern wall of the room contains two alcoves and a double door.

What now?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Grum looks at the strange murals with the teeth affixed everywhere and shakes his head. "Aye, this be disturbing. A mess aye, I dinnae' trust these tricky fey." He walks cautiously forward to look around the room cautiously, stopping in the centre of the room to look around carefully.

Helena follows him in, pulling out the ornate silver longsword and checking the grip on her buckler. She looks at the blade with a grimace and then with a worse grimace at her nearly quiver hanging at her waist. "A strange place, these fey have not helped with the decorations." She'll advance to look at the glass windows and the stained glass window.