New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's kind of a solid 50/50 as odds go, and I'm a FLOWER. I DON'T NEED SHOES!
    Given that you are a flower, why do you need money, and thus, why would you bet?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Given that you are a flower, why do you need money, and thus, why would you bet?
    Coins often contain trace elements I can find some use for?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

I think O-Chul hates him more, but I agree with the rest.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Coins often contain trace elements I can find some use for?
    Pollen addiction is nothing to be ashamed of in a shrub your age. All the cool kids are doing it, so naturally you want to experiment.

But trace elements? Didn't you watch that after school special with Eve Plum? Please get help. From a trained professional before it's too late!

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Pollen addiction is nothing to be ashamed of in a shrub your age. All the cool kids are doing it, so naturally you want to experiment.

But trace elements? Didn't you watch that after school special with Eve Plum? Please get help. From a trained professional before it's too late!
    [Guttating SADLY.] But nickel compounds make me HAPPY!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

d6 Re: Prediction Page, (bring your quatloos, gps, and internets, you'll need them.)

A Coca-Cola bottle cap (filling of coca-cola in the cap to be determinated at a later point) that Elan has a True Neutral half-sister called Lena.

A single origami flower folded from a common office paper (shipping at expense of the receiver) that Belkar will be undone by the Snarl

A recomforting look in the eyes and the reassurance that you are doing your best (in case we are at close locations at some point) that Great Beast In Shadow is a Snarl's offspring and that will make the difference in the Final Battle.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 2023-08-04 at 07:48 AM.

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    A recomforting look in the eyes and the reassurance that you are doing your best (in case we are at close locations at some point) that Great Beast In Shadow is a Snarl's offspring and that will make the difference in the Final Battle.
    First, I suppose that I have to turn in my True American Southerner card when I admit that I really don't like Coca-Cola.

Second: I would bet against the first paragraph, but in winning I'd win Coke, so...

The second paragraph I would bet in support for.

The quoted paragraph is 50:50

MitD will be revealed as some creature we could/should have guessed, (and perhaps someone has?) (Still calling it for Dao.) So MitD will have no relationship to The Snarl.

The other half of that idea is that MitD will turn on TE at a crucial point in the battle and tip the scales against TE. I fully endorse that and will add a, "Told you!" In a teasing tone of voice to the bet.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

First, I suppose that I have to turn in my True American Southerner card when I admit that I really don't like Coca-Cola.
    Coke originated in the South but it spread everywhere fairly universally.

Now tea, on the other hand...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Is tea the only drink one orders 'unsweet'? It's not that I want them to remove the sugar, I just don't want it added in the first place.

I have a weird sense of taste: I like the natural flavors. Some things like mustard or soda dominate any flavor they are in, so for me all carbonated drinks taste about the same: kind of metallic.

Sugar or sugar syrup, (which True Southerners™ use in their tea,) renders the tea flavor into the taste of sugar with an accent. I may as well eat a spoonful of sugar. But take some fresh mint, crush the leaves, and drop them in a pot of tea before it cools... No sugar necessary.

10. - Top - End - #430

…originated in the East but it spread everywhere fairly universally.

11. - Top - End - #431

Is tea the only drink one orders 'unsweet'? It's not that I want them to remove the sugar, I just don't want it added in the first place.
    Probs. I get how you feel about sweetness, lots of drinks are overly sweet to me. Arnold Palmers with unsweeten tea is the best route, and when i take my giant tubs of Gatorade powder i usually put in about half of what the tub recommends. I wish could get the original formula before they blasted the hell out of it with sugar.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Colossus in the Playground

A Coca-Cola bottle cap (filling of coca-cola in the cap to be determinated at a later point) that Elan has a True Neutral half-sister called Lena.

A single origami flower folded from a common office paper (shipping at expense of the receiver) that Belkar will be undone by the Snarl

I'd take all of these if you were offering gold.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Counter wager of a Snapple lid (with a fake "fun fact"!) that Lena is his mother's name.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Somniloquist View Post
    Counter wager of a Snapple lid (with a fake "fun fact"!) that Lena is his mother's name.
    Love this! Her name is canonically Elan's Mother and I don't see a reason why Rich would have cause to reveal her real name now (or, for that reason, to introduce another Elan sibling). But we can dream...
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

15. - Top - End - #435

I always liked that theory (and Lena as an option especially), myself. It's… Not gonna happen, but I always liked it.

Now, this is a hard one. That's a FLOWER and I want it. But it's made of paper, which is a Great Evil. I think I'll have to pass.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Love this! Her name is canonically Elan's Mother and I don't see a reason why Rich would have cause to reveal her real name now (or, for that reason, to introduce another Elan sibling). But we can dream...
    ... that her given name is Snarla.
    Like Darla, but a little different.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

17. - Top - End - #437

... that her given name is Snarla.
    Like Darla, but a little different.
    Well, Elan is known to be a nefarious agent of the Snarl!

18. - Top - End - #438

RedKnightGirl

Want to put a bet down on the Fiend's plan involving another soul splice. While the fiends don't get to claim possession of V's body, they do get the soul.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    Want to put a bet down on the Fiend's plan involving another soul splice. While the fiends don't get to claim possession of V's body, they do get the soul.
    IIRC, the fiends advised V that the soul splice deal is a once-in-a-century kind of thing, and not even a year has passed since. Betting against.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-08-07 at 06:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

IIRC, the fiends advised V that the soul splice deal is a once-in-a-century kind of thing, and not even a year has passed since. Betting against.
    But we also know that probability will service drama, and that stating the odds against something happening virtually guarantees that it will.

Just my 2 cents.

21. - Top - End - #441

RedKnightGirl

No indication that the soul splice requires like an alignment of the stars or any specific external factors that make it infeasible outside of V's specific deal. Xykon and Redcloak were both familiar with it, and there's been no effort to close it off as a possible plan in the same way we saw for the idea that they'd let V's helpless body die while they had possession of V's soul.

I'd also note the mention of a Vessel, which could be an artifact but I think is more likely to be a creature or person given that the specifics were loose enough that Sabine could pick one of her own accord.

22. - Top - End - #442

ElfWarriorGuy

But we also know that probability will service drama, and that stating the odds against something happening virtually guarantees that it will.
    Indeed. If anyone (but especially the fiends) make a reference to how rare soul-splices are, I'll take just about any wager on it because it'll be a near-certainty to happen again.

Great Beast In Shadow is a Snarl's offspring
    /distant gong suddenly rings

Your prediction has been noted.

Edit - Ah, you'd already guessed! March of '21. I had a typo in your name so it didn't stand out initially.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2023-08-07 at 03:00 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Just my 2 cents.
    Two copper pieces, per V's observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    No indication that the soul splice requires like an alignment of the stars or any specific external factors
    Strip 633. Recommend a review.
    (EDIT: Typo in strip number fixed).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-08-15 at 07:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I was reminded of something in my trivia hunts: Haley is out of adamantine arrows, and did not have time to buy more before leaving town.

I bet three golds, one for each lost arrow, that Sabine will turn out to be vulnerable to those rather than whatever cold iron arrows Haley has left.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    I was reminded of something in my trivia hunts: Haley is out of adamantine arrows, and did not have time to buy more before leaving town.

I bet three golds, one for each lost arrow, that Sabine will turn out to be vulnerable to those rather than whatever cold iron arrows Haley has left.
    Deal. I counter-bet that it will be someone else who is vulnerable to adamantine, rather than it simply not coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

26. - Top - End - #446

I'll take that bet. Sabine is a succubus and as such is affected by cold iron, not silver (adamantine was never in the running).

Three gold payable now, i assume?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll take that bet. Sabine is a succubus and as such is affected by cold iron, not silver (adamantine was never in the running).

She could be homebrewed! I'm holding on to my gold until we fully confirm!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

28. - Top - End - #448

Not everything is about the character. The thinking was clearly plot-centered: Haley ran out of adamantine arrows, that could be significant in the future, let's pick a character it could be significant for and bet on it.

Rich has to show he's not going to use spells, magic items, or IFCC shenanigans to change out Sabine's weakness for the sake of the plot, because "Oh no, cold iron doesn't work!" is the plot point bet on.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.

29. - Top - End - #449

She could be homebrewed! I'm holding on to my gold until we fully confirm!
    In any event, as already linked, adamantine was never an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox View Post
    Not everything is about the character. The thinking was clearly plot-centered: Haley ran out of adamantine arrows, that could be significant in the future, let's pick a character it could be significant for and bet on it.

Rich has to show he's not going to use spells, magic items, or IFCC shenanigans to change out Sabine's weakness for the sake of the plot, because "Oh no, cold iron doesn't work!" is the plot point bet on.
    Yes, but again, she has already been established to not be particularly susceptible to adamantine. This goes to what the author has said on consistency. He doesn't care about keeping to the exact rules of D&D anymore, but he does care about consistency, and her damage reduction is overcome by either cold iron or silver, depending on if she was a demon or devil. One of these is confirmed to work (linked above), she is confirmed to be a succubus (linked above), and thus we can absolutely conclude that the cold iron is what she is susceptible to. Changing this would be inconsistent, which the author has explicitly said is what he considers more important.

30. - Top - End - #450

In any event, as already linked, adamantine was never an option.

Yes, but again, she has already been established to not be particularly susceptible to adamantine. This goes to what the author has said on consistency. He doesn't care about keeping to the exact rules of D&D anymore, but he does care about consistency, and her damage reduction is overcome by either cold iron or silver, depending on if she was a demon or devil. One of these is confirmed to work (linked above), she is confirmed to be a succubus (linked above), and thus we can absolutely conclude that the cold iron is what she is susceptible to. Changing this would be inconsistent, which the author has explicitly said is what he considers more important.
    So, one-way memory, I'm forced to present a rough example: Greg set up an ambush for the party based on what he knew of the party via Durkon's memories. Then the party surprised Greg with completely different tactics, which were helped by the presence of Hilgya as a wildcard.

Imagine reversing the positions. The party plans an ambush for a character confident that they have fought the character before and know their weaknesses, then the character arrives and presents different weaknesses, facilitated by a wildcard, for dramatic effect.

Ignore Sabine for a moment in this example, consider it generic.

How does Rich set up this kind of surprise for the party if having his villains be consistent took top priority?

Alternate question: What priority is consistency and what is ahead of it? Incomplete answers are fine, you don't have to list everything and you don't have to rank everything exactly.
    Show