New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Troubles in Otari PF2, Chapter One: Fishing for Adventure

Six miles walk out of town, along the coast of the Isle of Kortos, our heroes find their . The last half of the journey was on a beaten dirt path. You lot saw you fair share of wildlife, including a boar that you wisely moved away from.

But now you behold it. Ramshackle, yes. Disrepaired, certainly. Making odd sounds of skittering, sure. But it's big, and with the deed in Adriel's hands signed by Tamily, yours.
    "Maybe come up with something better to put up on the sign," Tamily's words echo in your ears as you spot the sign that reads: Tanderveil Fish Camp
    And a wooden hammered-in sign that adds: Closed for the season!
    The sign looks very old.

Spoiler: Let's see if I can't make this into a player handout...
    Show

Fish Camp:

Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Troubles in Otari PF2, Chapter One: Fishing for Adventure

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2
    AC: 19 HP: 38/38
    Fort: +9 Ref: +5 Will: +6 Perc: +4
    Focus: 1/1, Prayer 1/1, Conditions: none
    Gorak tolerates the beginning of the party, not really one for large gatherings. He drinks a little too much though and finally joins in for a dance. He sleeps well, his snoring keeping up any nearby light sleepers.

The next day, when the party gets to the fish camp, he walks around, looking in the windows and any open doors.

"Let's make sure nothing surprises us and traps us inside."

He opens the doors to the out buildings first.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He'll check out B4, B3, B2, then B1

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Tamily Tanderveil, fishery stores
    Elemental lanterns in room
    Two other tunnels in stinky lizard room
    Macku, translator kobold
    Iruini, green dragon - DEAD
    Leona Henson, crafter in Absalom
    Tanderveil Fish Camp - Our home

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    AC: 17 HP: 22/22
    Perc: +5 Fort: +6 Ref: +7 Will: +7
    Focus: 1/1, Spells: 4/4, Conditions: none
    Holding the deed

Adriel nods, "Good idea -- a lesson learned, we should prepare the escape routes...". He follows Gorak, casting detect magic on anything he checks.
    Awesome avatar by Linklele. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Gorak and Adriel search about the exterior area of the fish camp, checking out a pair of storage sheds first. These simple sheds hold fishing rods, boxes of tackle, and various tools for cleaning and preserving fish, they can open the doors and take out 10 boxes of tackle and 5 fishing rods without fear if they like.
    Listening and looking through the windows of the next shed returns an odd churning sound, and the smell... it's not as bad as the stinky lizards from below Tamily's Fishery, but that's the first comparison that comes to mind. The scent of old rotten fish and... worse, is in there, and something is moving, just not within line of sight.

Searching along the beach, Gorak and Adriel first pass by a rowboat and a weathered oar. The boat seems oddly upraised, as if something dug under it, and Gorak looks under with his ancestral darkvision. He immediately makes out the cluster of eggs under the boat and Adriel calls out:
    You've found a nest of saltwater crocodile eggs, and Mom's coming out of the water making a low rumbling hiss.
    Wisely, the pair beat a hasty retreat and give the nest a wide berth under Momma Crock's watchful eye.

Also along the beach is a pile of old fishing nets that reek of fish and are infested with a family of giant centipedes who, based on Adriel's knowledge of the natural world, will get territorial if they happen to notice your presence.

How much the group really cares about an old boat and a pile of decayed fishing nets being claimed by the local wildlife is up to you all.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-05-15 at 12:09 PM.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Tigerpaw moves onto the deck, giving the centipedes a wide berth. He pads quietly and carefully, listening at each door.

The big cat takes time to find a spot to climb onto the roof, to give it a decent inspection.

He says to the others, "If the croc doesn't come up to the house regularly, I'm not of a mind to drive it or its offspring away. The centipedes, however, may prove a problem."

Show
    The doors he's checking are the two for B6, and the outside entry to B9.

Checks, if needed:
    Tigerpaw Perception +4
    (1d20+4)[9]

Tigerpaw Athletics +4
    (1d20+4)[11]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    God I wish I was better at geography. I'm so lost on where everything mentioned is.

"I'm of the opposite mind- if the centipedes are content with staying in their spot, who cares, but we may want to avoid the risk of having crocodile-infested waters. Assuming the crocodiles in those eggs would stick around" Yilverth said "That said, we could also try keeping them tamed, especially if there other concerns that may require our fighting strenght"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2
    Gorak joins in the conversation, keeping an eye on the wildlife while he talks to the others.

"We'll need to deal with both eventually. We can't have dangerous animals right outside our new home. And they can't be good for fishing. But let's deal with the buildings first."

He walks up onto the porch and proceeds back to check out the smaller, western building.

"If these planks can support me, the rest of you should be fine."

Show
    Moves over B5 to get to the first door to B6.

Perception: (1d20+4)[17]

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-05-15 at 05:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "If these planks can support me, the rest of you should be fine."
    Tigerpaw looks at Gorak, looks down where he's standing on the deck, then looks back up and flashes the champion a catty grin.
    Last edited by davyjones; 2023-05-16 at 09:59 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

If nothing happens, Adriel follows Gorak and helps checking that building.

Show

... but, there's a mark on the map, something's going to happen, right? :P

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Tigerpaw listens outside of the two sheds on the East side of the fish camp. The bruxxing and squeaking sounds he now recognizes as belonging to giant rats.
    Outside and above the hall running throughout the building, he hears nothing, which is a relief as it seems that at least moving between the rooms of the Fish Camp should be harmless.

Gorak and Adriel also listen by the shed with the rats and make out from the sounds that the rats are playing in there, likely wrestling. There are four separate pitter-patters of excited rat feet in the room on the left while the other had two slightly larger thumping bodies. Trivially easy to conclude that the kids are playing and the parents are... ahem wrestling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, directions are confusing cuz I couldn't get the full picture and compass rose. The coastline is south.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

"The roof seems sturdy," he calls down as he makes his way back to the others on the deck. "I've no experience with keeping and training animals, unfortunately; I couldn't tell you what it would take to tame one of the young crocs - if such a thing could be possible. I don't suppose any of you have that knowledge?"

He hops down as he continues, "As for the centipedes, I find insects to be unrelenting; driven solely by their hive-minded pursuits. I expect no control or peaceful coexistence with them is achievable - though I remember as a kit when a druid stayed near us awhile. I'd catch him conversing with spiders or dragonflies or whatnot, or near face down in the dirt, following a trail of ants for reasons I couldn't fathom - then or now, really. He was an odd bird, that one, but he taught me much about the natural world; made me interested in it."
    Last edited by davyjones; 2023-05-17 at 08:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Further exploration enables the following discoveries and challenges:

Show
    Remember, I will give you two choices for each skill challenge, but if you have any other skills you think apply, give me your justification. If you have a lore skill specific to one of the challenges, it will even be a lower DC.
    All of you can make one roll per location.
    Oh, I never mentioned this but you all got 1 hero point for defeating the dragon.

B1
    The crocodile nest and protective mother.
    Heroes may attempt Thievery to harmlessly (and unnoticed) move the eggs to a new location, inevitably drawing the mother to the new nest, or Nature to get the crocodile to respect your boundaries but stick around in case you want to tame a baby later.

B2
    The centipedes in the net.
    Heroes may attempt Nature to get the animals to leave of their own accord, or Survival to eliminate the animals safely.

B3
    The smell in the smoke house comes from a pair of stirring, moving, sentient collections of fish guts and melted fish flesh given form. You don't know how but it is gross.
    Heroes may attempt Stealth to destroy these foul creatures unnoticed, or intimidation to frighten them off.

B4
    These storage sheds are clear and safe.

B5
    The porch's wood has seen better days, is partially rotted and splintered, but most importantly it has traces of thick spiderwebs.

B6
    These storage rooms are the stomping ground for a family of 6 giant rats.
    Heroes may attempt Nature to get the animals to leave of their own accord, or Survival to eliminate the animals safely.

B7
    The foyer is coated in thick cobwebs but otherwise contains nothing of note.

B8
    A battered oak desk stands almost in the center of this dusty, damp room. Behind it, a row of cabinets lines the far wall. The sole window is shuttered, but one of the shutters hangs askew, letting in a stream of light. Several stools stand scattered around the room.
    This place has a small chest and various locked drawers in the desk, it likely has a few valuables left over from its days as Tamily's office.
    Heroes may attempt Thievery to gain access to the spoils without a key, or Perception to find the key.

B9
    The halls, as Tigerpaw observed already, are empty, though still strewn with cobwebs.

B10
    This door doesn't even fully open, you can only budge it a few inches before the webbing on the other side stops it, but you can clearly hear skittering and the odd hiss or chirp. This room is not part of the skill challenge.

B11
    Ditto to room B10. This room isn't part of the skill challenge.

B12
    Ditto to rooms B10 and B11. Also isn't part of the skill challenge.

B13
    A stone oven in the northwest corner marks this spacious room as a kitchen. Cabinets and tables line the walls, and a wide washbasin stands next to the western door. Several of the cabinet doors stand open, and pots and long-handled spoons lie scattered across the floor. Two doors stand in the east wall—one to the south, and a heavier door in the west wall. The shutters over the north window hang askew. There is nothing dangerous in this location, and not much worth taking or securing either.

B14
    This is only accessible through B15.

B15
    This one is technically possible to enter immediately but it's not part of the skill challenge.

B16
    This bedroom rattles from outside. Not part of the skill challenge.

B17
    This bedroom is starkly appointed. A wooden bedframe has slats but no mattress, with a battered trunk at its foot. On the other side of the room is a small, simple table holding a ceramic pitcher and a matching, empty bowl. Tightly latched shutters over the windows block out the light. These empty beds are a good place to rest as you clear out the remaining difficulties.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-05-18 at 10:19 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2
    Gorak does what he can to help clear the accumulated wildlife. He looks at the others and rolls up his sleeves.

"There's work to be done. Let's get started."

He's better at smashing things and protecting his friends, but he will try with whatever grace he can.

Show
    B1 Thievery or Nature. (1d20+1)[16]
    B2 Nature or Survival. (1d20)[5]
    B3 Stealth or Intimidate. (1d20+6)[8]
    B6 Nature or Survival. (1d20)[3]
    B8 Thievery or Perception. (1d20+4)[18]

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

14. - Top - End - #14

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

"Admittedly, things are in better shape than I thought. Just a few problems to tackle..."

Show

Ah, learning Light means I wasn't learning Guidance. Another lesson.
    B1. Let Gorak take care of it :)
    B2. Nature or Survival. (1d20+5)[17]
    B3. Stealth or Intimidate. (1d20+8)[17]
    B6. Nature or Survival. (1d20+5)[18]
    B8. Thievery or Perception. (1d20+5)[25]

15. - Top - End - #15

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Skill Tests
    Show

B1 Thievery: (1d20+4)[10]
    B2 Nature: (1d20+4)[12]
    B3 Stealth: (1d20+8)[26]
    B6 Nature: (1d20+4)[19]
    B8 Perception: (1d20+4)[12]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's... Keep in mind the spiderwebs, given our last encounter with spiders"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

B1: Let's help Gorak with some Thievery of my own (1d20+8)[13]
    B2: I can't think of a good way to tackle this
    B3: I saw a 26, I think we are covered there.
    B6: see B2. I don't count on Stealth due to the chance of getting caught because they got Scent or something.
    B8: I saw a nat 20, I'll leave that be.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What begins as an operation to wait for the mother crocodile to go off hunting and gently move the eggs to a safer location instead becomes a chase as what you thought was a log rears up and runs after you all with surprising speed. Scattering, each thief brings the eggs to a pre-planned location and runs away, the mother crocodile hissing after you and snapping at your heels.
    But when you all leave her, she begins digging a new hole for her eggs rather than returning to the boat.

The party decides to make a trail of old fish bones and mostly-empty trail rations to get the centipedes out of the nets. They move faster than Gorak assumes, and he takes a nasty bite on the arm. In revenge, Adriel arranges things so that the centipedes are led to the crocodiles' new nest. They go for the eggs and do not last particularly long against the mother crocodile.

The disgusting creatures of old flesh and guts barely held together, in the face of Gorak's roar, stir and then rush right for him. Adriel leaps in between the monsters and his ally, and they pause for a moment, but make ready to attack until from the rafters, the catfolk that not even the other party members knew was there drops down with a whisper and lands feet-first on the creatures' "heads." They pop. Disgustingly. Tigerpaw has to wash his coat.

The "path of bait to the crocodile nest" worked so well with the centipedes that the party decides to do it again with the giant rats. It goes very similarly, right down to Gorak getting another nasty bite!
    However, in the room where the rats were, the heroes manage to get a repair kit.

Gorak organizes a gridlike search of the room, certain that the key would turn up eventually, to which Adriel replies "you mean this key?" And picks one out of a pile of junk.
    Unlocking the desk drawers, which contain a larger key to the chest which you also open, reveals a collection of healing tools in the desk in a red box. Inside of the chest is a shiny dagger that seems unaffected by its time concealed. In another of the drawers is a writing set, protected from the elements by a wax-sealed box.

Spoiler: Camp's First Aid Kit
    Show

This red box holds four antivenom potions, two healing potions I, two healing potions II, and a set of expanded healer’s tools. These healer’s tools can be used just like a normal set, but they also give the hero using them a +1 item bonus

After a long day of clearing out the dangers of the more accessible rooms, the heroes gather in one of the safer areas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How shall you spend the night? Do any of you have anything to say about your trials, or what you think lies ahead?
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-05-25 at 09:22 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

Adriel casts detect magic on the shiny dagger, and if it's indeed magical, he studies it.

"it's getting late, and the remaining rooms are... suspecious. Shall we take turns keeping watch tonight?" Adriel suggests, slightly reluctantly as he's tired, but there's the duty.

Show

Detect Magic then Identify Magic if needed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2
    Gorak isn't able to put his smashing things abilities to much use, but he does manage to protect his allies. He gets bitten by the centipedes, bitten by the giant rats, and would have gotten bitten by the disgusting creatures of old flesh and guts if it hadn't been for Tigerpaw's heroic acrobatics. But he can heal. Nothing was destroyed and we seem to have obtained a secure base for ourselves.

"Nice job today everyone. Yes. Let's set up a watch. I can take the darkest part of the night."

Show

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahyangyi View Post
    Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

Adriel casts detect magic on the shiny dagger, and if it's indeed magical, he studies it.

"it's getting late, and the remaining rooms are... suspecious. Shall we take turns keeping watch tonight?" Adriel suggests, slightly reluctantly as he's tired, but there's the duty.

Show

Detect Magic then Identify Magic if needed.

After not much examination, Adriel recognizes a rune carved into the blade as the same that is embedded into Gorak’s ball and chain.
    It is a +1 potency rune.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

In the darkest part of the night in the secured room with bedding, Gorak hears weeping clearly coming from one room over across the hall. The others are sharply awoken by the loud screams of
    "A failure! A failure! I'm so SORRY!"
    Getting back to sleep through the racket swiftly becomes obviously impossible in these circumstances.

Spoiler
    Show
    Putting you all in B17 for the night, continual weeping in B16 is keeping you awake.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2
    Gorak opens one eye and barely wakes up from the wailing next door. He turns a couple times, hoping the sound stops and he can get back to sleep. He tries closing his eyes again, but the sound continues. Finally, he gives up. He sits up, grunts and shakes his head to more fully wake up, puts his armor back on and grabs his ball and chain. He looks at the others, who are equally awake from the noise.

"Let's go see what this is. Maybe we can help. And if this place is haunted, it's better to deal with it now than wait until we've fixed it up."

At the entrance to the other room, he peeks in. "Hello? Do you need any help?"

Show
    Make an Impression (1d20+6)[10]

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

23. - Top - End - #23

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

Adriel gets up. He has no armor to worry about, but there's no reason to rush out either. He waits his teammates to get ready, then follows Gorak to check the situation.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah!" Yilverth wakes up suddenly, scared by the scream. Jumping to his feet, he followed Gorak- he started reaching for his spear, then hesitated, then didn't wield it in case there was something that could get scared.

"Wouldn't be able to sleep anyway"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The light in this sparse bedroom seems to have a faint blue cast, and the air within is chilly. Wind rattles the shutters over the window. The wooden bedframe holds a moldering straw mattress and sheets, with a moth-eaten wool blanket folded at the foot of the bed.
    And as you focus on where the wind meets the blue light, you manage to slowly make out the floating shape of a man, with water continually coming out of his mouth as he weeps and sobs.
    You have seen a ghost. It is too busy crying to notice you.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Adriel
    Human(Sylph) Sorcerer 2
    Holding nothing

A ghost... someone died here? Tamily didn't tell us about this... Adriel thinks, deciding to observe the ghost for the moment.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2

Since his last attempt didn't seem to get the ghost's attention, Gorak tries again. "Hello? Do you need any help?"

If there is no response, he starts to tell the ghost who we are and why we are here, introducing the others, and explaining that we are trying to clean up the place to turn it into a home. If the ghost ever responds, he will ask about the ghost's life, why it is here, and if there is anything it needs.

Show
    Make an Impression (1d20+6)[9]

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The ghost catches onto Gorak's second introduction and blubbers for a few moments.

"Help me? I don't think you can help a dead man." The ghost heaves a deep, mournful sigh that rattles the shutters over the window, then sits on the edge of the bed, their translucent form passing partway through the musty straw mattress. "I told her I’d put it to good use, you know? My grandmother. She had so many stories of adventure, and so when she left me her sword, I just wanted to make her proud. But I never got to become an adventurer! I went and drowned instead, and I know I’ve let her down."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-06-04 at 03:25 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"...did you?" Yilverth frowned a little "I... Don't think she'd be disappointed because you didn't wield her sword. If she loved you... She'd just be sad for your fate... And that you clearly keep beating yourself up for it" he said, trying to offer a little comfort.

"When was this? Do you remember your name, or where exactly you drowned?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gorak
    Orc Champion 2

Gorak agrees with Yilverth's response. He lowers his ball and chain and sits down next to the ghost. "I think your grandmother would want you to find peace. You deserve to find peace. No sword is worth this. Is there anything we can do to help you? What's your name?"

Show

Show
    Macku, translator kobold

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2023-06-05 at 07:19 PM.