New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Veil of Smog, Chapter 1

Leif hums.
    "I wonder if I could brute force my way through the walls?" He suggests.
    "It’s hurt, but Grandmother won’t let me die."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

You can feel it partially working. Whatever magic conjured the walls also prevents their direct transformation. However, a thin veneer of marble rises from the floor to cover the walls. An experimental touch reveals only cold marble.

Off to your right, you hear a faint crack, far fainter than the splitting of marble should have been. A new pair of LED eyes, yellow this time, looks out from a small hole in the ceiling.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Leif hums.
    "I wonder if I could brute force my way through the walls?" He suggests.
    "It’s hurt, but Grandmother won’t let me die."
    You're welcome to try on your next initiative pass.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    You can feel it partially working. Whatever magic conjured the walls also prevents their direct transformation. However, a thin veneer of marble rises from the floor to cover the walls. An experimental touch reveals only cold marble.

Off to your right, you hear a faint crack, far fainter than the splitting of marble should have been. A new pair of LED eyes, yellow this time, looks out from a small hole in the ceiling.
    The Shroud had been bringing up the rear, she'd anchored more building entries than she liked to remember and knew the drill well, her suppressed SMG out, covering the corners and the ceiling, so quiet it was hard to recall she was there unless she was directly in sight.

"Contact up" she said tersely. Her APC9K coughed several times as she put a burst between those glowing yellow eyes. Maybe enough of the little guys going down would get the boss's attention, this didn't feel like the entirety of an ambush.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative 24
    To hit: 21, Multi-attack, damage 3.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The eyes blink out. The crack seals, also closing the holes the bullets left. Looking around, you can see other cracks in this room.

[BACK TO THE TOP]

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Sarah begins to just barrage the cracks with arrows. “Go do whatever it is you need to do, we can keep them at bay!”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Multiattack - Let’s say another 3 targets
    All Out Attack (5)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[22] crit on 18-20
    Toughness: 18 (23 on crit)

Attack: (1d20+9)[17] crit on 18-20

Attack: (1d20+9)[29] crit on 18-20

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    Conditions: None
    With the threatening figures being held at bay by the others, Yume places an ofuda on her forehead and takes a closer look at the maze that has appeared.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sight Tag
    - Counters Concealment/Invisibility (Vision)
    - Counters Illusion (Vision)
    - Magical Awareness (Vision)

Perception: (1d20+8)[20]
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #668
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The appearance of the wires is illusory, but there is a semi-solid surface under each. It would seem to be some sort of magical field, charged with electricity. As you saw, touching one can cause a shock. One could theoretically jump through one, but it would be extraordinarily painful. A wall could possibly be dispelled, but it would only create a small hole, and one that would close up shortly thereafter.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

"As I fear my usefulness at combating mysterious monsters is somewhat limited", Rufus said, his voice only betraying the slightest tremble but his right hand gripping his cane far harder than was strictly necessary. "I suppose I might as well head into the great unknown, as it were."

"I'd ask you to wish me luck", he said as he started walking into the maze, twirling his Lucky Loonie between his fingers. "But I prefer to make my own."

Show

I'm not sure how far the marble stretches at the moment, but if Rufus moves far enough to reach the end, I'd like to use my standard action to create more of it in front of him.

Oh, and he's not actually using the Lucky Loonie (at least right now), just trying to look cool.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Between Sarah's speed and the Shroud's nudges of instinct, those two are able to keep the eyes from looking at them too long. The marble facade soon crumbles away, but their shots dissolve into the wire walls. Nothing jumps out at them.

As if from far away, you hear Martin say "Sounds like thunder. Hope we can get back before it rains on us."

Rufus, Yume, and Leif turn the first couple of corners safely, the marble cladding keeping ahead of you. Around the third corner, I'll need a Perception check from each of you.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

"Stay close to me, in case something hits us!" Leif instructs the other chargers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder that I have Interpose and will use it to prevent others from injury.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+8)[14]
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

13. - Top - End - #673
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Yume was fast enough to notice that the crack between two panels in the marble "floor" is slightly larger than expected, and get out of the way. Rufus did not notice, and was surprised when a tangle of wire threw aside the panel and lashed out in all directions. Leif saw, and managed to jump in the way to take the hit himself. The wires don't quite hurt, but they wrap about your ankles and up your calves. Please make a Strength check to break free. If it doesn't succeed, the others can help you.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Leif kicks the wires powerfully, ripping through them.
    "No worries everyone."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The three of you take a few more twists and turns as you move past the wire snare. It seems to be taking you a much longer distance than you'd have expected to fit in this room. You eventually arrive near the coffee maker, still bearing its cheerful sticky note.

Sarah, Shroud, a pair of eyes peeking down from the ceiling does not retreat when you both shoot it. Rather, the ceiling panel falls, and an amorphous blob resembling white molten plastic falls through the crack you opened up. As it lands on the floor, four legs and a head emerge. The head grows small, pointy ears, which immediately flatten. The eyes light up like a fluorescent bulb. A muzzle extends, then splits into a mouth full of jagged saw-like teeth. The wire wolf makes no sound, but somehow a growl resonates in both your souls. Please make Will saves. I'll roll it into initiative in a bit.
    Last edited by Charybdis1618; 2024-04-24 at 08:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not that I mind a good cup of coffee, but I must admit I was expecting something... a little bit grander at the end of this mysterious, magical and bloody miserable maze." Rufus raised his cane and gave the coffe maker a little tap with the level of care usually reserved for handling live explosives.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nothing explodes. There's clearly a bit of magic suffusing the coffee itself, but only a touch.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

Yume Tsukiyomi
    Kitsune Shrine Maiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis1618 View Post
    Please make Will saves.
    Will: (1d20+5)[18]