New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than The Disease OOC 2

As a health update (assuming that's another 2 HP lost), Richard is now at 6/12 HP - he was at 10HP just before the ambush, and now that's been two failed intervals at the radar base for 2 HP each. Looking back, you wanted to be told once he drops below 2/3 HP, and that last interval did it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    As a health update (assuming that's another 2 HP lost), Richard is now at 6/12 HP - he was at 10HP just before the ambush, and now that's been two failed intervals at the radar base for 2 HP each. Looking back, you wanted to be told once he drops below 2/3 HP, and that last interval did it.
    Richard now suffers constant nausea; this persists until his HP rises back above 2/3 max. Consult the Injuries, Illness no Recovery chapter of Basic Set: Campaigns, on ailments.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard, have your say about the current matters, and then roll to resist the disease as before. Fingers crossed.

Then we'll move onto the next day.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we've both rolled for two days, including the first day of room rest.

Richard's rolls are in #1444 and #1447.
    Sean's rolls are in #1446 and #1450.

After these rolls (I believe today's evening) Richard is at 6/12 and Sean is at 5/11.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. Then Richard just needs to chip in on helping plan the next move and handling social interactions.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    The reports of the robots come from the middle of the state, about 50 to 70 miles away from the radar base.
    How is this positioned relative to the shelter where we've had a chat with the computer system?

No more plans for today. I've rolled for today's healing, resulting in the recovery of another hit point.

A question about spending the remaining char points: can I take Attribute Substitution perk to base Forward Observer on Per? I have one for Driving and I guess both piloting and actual observation would not be overly dissimilar to either that or what Per is for. It should be TL-appropriate to use the drone with Forward Observer, I gather. Willing to take familiarity penalties on actually calling artillery strikes until Sean has practiced with that part of the skill.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    How is this positioned relative to the shelter where we've had a chat with the computer system?

No more plans for today. I've rolled for today's healing, resulting in the recovery of another hit point.

A question about spending the remaining char points: can I take Attribute Substitution perk to base Forward Observer on Per? I have one for Driving and I guess both piloting and actual observation would not be overly dissimilar to either that or what Per is for. It should be TL-appropriate to use the drone with Forward Observer, I gather. Willing to take familiarity penalties on actually calling artillery strikes until Sean has practiced with that part of the skill.
    The robots’ patrol looks to be 25 miles north-east of that Shelter.

Yes, you may purchase that Perk but you’ll need to learn that Skill first - and you need the time and opportunity to learn you that Skill before you can spend Character Points on it. Either get a teacher, a manual, or lots of time studying and practising with the equipment.

Ditto Piloting Skill for the drone.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Ditto Piloting Skill for the drone.
    Hmm... I rather hoped for this clause:
    Quote Originally Posted by B197
    At higher tech levels, Forward Observer is less about observing targets and more about operating specialized technology such as drones, GPS, and laser designators. To remotely pilot a drone or use a laser designator to direct “smart” munitions onto a target, make a DX-based skill roll.
    Will it just take two instances of Attribute Substitution to cover both uses or do you want a separate Piloting?

Also about the skill(s): normally it'll take 400 hours of practicing to learn a skill without spending an otherwise-earned character point. How much is needed with a character point?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I rather hoped for this clause:

Will it just take two instances of Attribute Substitution to cover both uses or do you want a separate Piloting?

Also about the skill(s): normally it'll take 400 hours of practicing to learn a skill without spending an otherwise-earned character point. How much is needed with a character point?
    Need Piloting skill.
    I’d say seperate Perk for different Skills.
    If you got a Character Point, it’ll take just 6 hours.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Can I use Piloting with Observation to just look around without calling in artillery? I have enough CPs to buy that, and a spare day too.

Also, how good of a drone we have? Assuming 60% of a $48000 car, we can have...
    - DJI Air 2S kit with video controller, two spare battaries, other parts, a charger, all in a bag
    - 512 GB of digital stroage card per GURPS errata to record the videos (could be much more per Amazon, but we use GURPS prices when we have them, I guess?)

This would mean a fair deal, reasonably profitable for the seller.
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-06-27 at 02:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I use Piloting with Observation to just look around without calling in artillery? I have enough CPs to buy that, and a spare day too.

Also, how good of a drone we have? Assuming 60% of a $48000 car, we can have...
    - DJI Air 2S kit with video controller, two spare battaries, other parts, a charger, all in a bag
    - 512 GB of digital stroage card per GURPS errata to record the videos (could be much more per Amazon, but we use GURPS prices when we have them, I guess?)

This would mean a fair deal, reasonably profitable for the seller.
    Yes, but you’ll need to practice the Skill for a good portion of the day before you can spend the Point/s. Which means you’ll miss out on resting today.
    Once you have the Points spent, you can do some flybys, yes. I may decide that is too much activity for daily recovery rolls, however.

You have the DJI and the other stuff, the storage card is worth $100 per GB (adjusted for TL already factored in).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the drone arrives tomorrow, and choosing one day to practice should not be problematic given how Richard's condition looks like. The card is priced as per the errata, which sort of reflects the improvements over the years, so $1*512*16 = $8192 total.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, what about Richard/Volthawk?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Ready to move on to the next day once you've both rolled for recovery and confirmed your activities for the day.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Vaccines are less difficult to make than antidotes.
    1. Can we have the numbers to compare?
    2. Will a vaccine be more narrow than antidote with respect to possible mutations of the virus?
    3. Inventing either, what do we get in the end? A batch (of what size) or a reliable, repeatable production process?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Can we have the numbers to compare?
    2. Will a vaccine be more narrow than antidote with respect to possible mutations of the virus?
    3. Inventing either, what do we get in the end? A batch (of what size) or a reliable, repeatable production process?
    1) Vaccines are a $1,000,000 invention. That's -9 and 1d days for a Gadgeteer.
    2) No. Variants merely require adaptations for both vaccines and antidotes.
    3) A dose (possibly more if you roll VERY well because it's an one-shot item) plus a repeatable "recipe" that simply requires "parts" and a roll.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

1) Vaccines are a $1,000,000 invention. That's -9 and 1d days for a Gadgeteer.
    1. Is it expected that a vaccine would create immunity or resistance for a prolonged period of time? Meaning, do people tend to get this disease once pre lifetime or again and again as exposed or what?

3) A dose (possibly more if you roll VERY well because it's an one-shot item) plus a repeatable "recipe" that simply requires "parts" and a roll.
    2. Would it be less than $1,000,000 for each additional dose? What if we want to make a batch from the start?
    3. What if would take to invent a facility to commetcially produce the thing?
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-07-03 at 02:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Is it expected that a vaccine would create immunity or resistance for a prolonged period of time? Meaning, do people tend to get this disease once pre lifetime or again and again as exposed or what?

2. Would it be less than $1,000,000 for each additional dose? What if we want to make a batch from the start?
    3. What if would take to invent a facility to commetcially produce the thing?
    1) Once you've had the vaccine, you're immune for life. Variants could still infect you, but a vaccine for a variant is easier to make after you've made one.
    2) Yes, the cost has to be spent every time you roll for inventing.
    3) Oh boy. An entire medical lab costs at least $6000 (3000x2, TL 5) for the basic equipment, a "suitcase lab". Field labs and mobile labs give quality bonuses but cost more, take much more space and require external power or a variety of batteries.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, we could be persuaded to eventually invest in a full room-sized TL8 Mobile Lab ($1.2M nominal, but probably cannot be bought) if there would be a prospect of getting the state clear of some disease(s) like it was done with smallpox, but with an incremental cost of $1M per dose that does not seem practical. Sure enough no one has done this in all these years. I'll think about what can be done with these numbers and post IC maybe later today.

Also, I've asked about Sean's possible antibodies and was told it might help with vaccine, so, to clarify...
    1. What sort of help it might or might not be?
    2. Can we instead invent some immunoglobulin (and, if so, at what price / difficulty)? We surely should be able to extract something from Richard once he recovers...
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-07-04 at 09:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, we could be persuaded to eventually invest in a full room-sized TL8 Mobile Lab ($1.2M nominal, but probably cannot be bought) if there would be a prospect of getting the state clear of some disease(s) like it was done with smallpox, but with an incremental cost of $1M per dose that does not seem practical. Sure enough no one has done this in all these years. I'll think about what can be done with these numbers and post IC maybe later today.

Also, I've asked about Sean's possible antibodies and was told it might help with vaccine, so, to clarify...
    1. What sort of help it might or might not be?
    2. Can we instead invent some immunoglobulin (and, if so, at what price / difficulty)? We surely should be able to extract something from Richard once he recovers...
    1) Examining you and rolling Diagnosis skill would act as a complementary roll for the invention roll. It would also count as "parts" equal to your HT times $100 times the margin of success.
    2) Yes, that's effectively "fabricating parts" for inventions of a suppressant, a vaccine or an antidote via a Pharmacy skill roll. Maybe Richard could roll his HT as an effective complementary roll to it. First things first, though...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, sorry, I think I got something wrong.

First, check AtE 2 page 40 for rules on fabricating;
    Rolls for fabricating have the same modifiers as inventing (a vaccine gives -9).

Success supplies (margin of success + 1) x 5% of the parts you need for this specific project (only); critical success also gives you +1 on the final skill roll for your project. Failure simply wastes time; critical failure inflicts 1d‐3 injury (ignoring DR) from a minor accident.
    I was wrong earlier about the value of the antibodies' "parts" and the complementary roll.

You got the time needed right.

This makes the following amount of "parts" out of $300000 required:

(6 + 1) * ($1000000 * 0.05) + 4 * 12 * $100 = $354800

This also gives +1 to the resulting roll, which, in 8 more days, will be:

[roll0] on Pharmacy 14(?) (20 skill, -9 difficulty, -2(?) if there never was such a vaccine, +2 equipment, +1 versatile, +1 extra time, +1 complimentary success)
    That middle equation is wrong, sorry (forget the $100xHTxmargin figure, that was wrong).
    The fabrication simply made 35% of what was needed (before we factor in that Gadgeteers only need 30% of value for inventions, so 35% of $1,000,000 was made).
    No bonus for extra parts, but you do meet the threshold. Inventing a vaccine is on the table.
    You got the skill modifiers right except for the complementary roll success (I was wrong about that, and you did not roll a critical success on the fabrication roll). Still a success, but barely (margin of success 0)...

[roll0] on Diagnosis 16 (20 physician, -4 default)
    [roll1] on Chemistry 16 (15 skill, +1 time)

[roll2] x4 days for the whole invention, half of them first to fabricate parts
    This part is right, I'm willing to throw you a bone on that complementary roll and have it stand...

Rolling for bugs then: [roll0]
    Now, bugs...
    The roll should be 1d+2 for Gadgeteers, minus double the margin of success (0x2=0). So 3 bugs. See B476...
    No extra doses because the margin of success is too low.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Health update, that last failed HT roll (been pretty unlucky for those, huh) puts Richard at 0/12 HP after Day 81's HT roll.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Health update, that last failed HT roll (been pretty unlucky for those, huh) puts Richard at 0/12 HP after Day 81's HT roll.
    Well...at least it's not a death check yet...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

OC: record the meals consumed today (and yesterday if you have not already), mostly by Richard.
    A total of 20 rations marked as spent over the course of 5 days. Not spending any for the troops, because presumably they patricipate in the base's economy and produce enough value to have themselves fed even if they have some days off.

A question about radar base radio intercept facilities: do they have a computerized TL8 radio scanner? Thinking of something like a highly-parallel software-defined-radio receiver and a specialized software on top. If not, maybe they can try to procure it? Sean will try to provide the funds.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

A total of 20 rations marked as spent over the course of 5 days. Not spending any for the troops, because presumably they patricipate in the base's economy and produce enough value to have themselves fed even if they have some days off.

A question about radar base radio intercept facilities: do they have a computerized TL8 radio scanner? Thinking of something like a highly-parallel software-defined-radio receiver and a specialized software on top. If not, maybe they can try to procure it? Sean will try to provide the funds.
    Yes, the food and water supply of the base is maintained by both trade, hunting and foraging. There will probably be traders from elsewhere coming in either later this day or tomorrow. The cold weather might be a problem, though. Good thing you still have those heated clothing and batteries, or your mutations would be a bother.

The base’s radio scanner is not as advanced as TL 8, it’s probably a TL 7 or late TL 6 model. Getting such hardware would be very difficult, unless the leadership of Gunmetal decide to help you out. And then, it’d be expensive as all get-out.

Contacting Gunmetal and trying to see if they want to sell you something that high tech would require a Reaction Roll, at a basic -4. (Other reaction modifiers apply.)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we have both rolled for today's recovery (with usual results), so can as well make it tomorrow, unless some radio intercepts come in. Speaking of which, what kind of equipment do the men have in here? Sean would eventually want to have...
    1. Large Radio Scanner + Direction Finder + Large Long-Range Antenna Array, TL8 (either here at base or somewhere like Gunmetal if that gives better coverage and we get a premission)
    2. Medium Radio Scanner + Direction Finder, TL8 (in a car)
    3. A computer with software to accompany that

Or we can ask allied forces for their intercepts, if any, if they have better gear. The main question is how much trouble was repelling the attack - are they just fine or did they suffer heavy losses or something.

He only hopes it is enough.
    Sean has ordered six, and we are just getting started...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of which, what kind of equipment do the men have in here?
    The base's radio is a ruggedized large TL 6 model with a long range antenna.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

The base's radio is a ruggedized large TL 6 model with a long range antenna.
    Hmm... I have it recorded for some reason that it's a TL8 thing. I mean, they should not have been operating TL6..7 equipment by the time the end came. Or is it not the original radar base equipment?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I have it recorded for some reason that it's a TL8 thing. I mean, they should not have been operating TL6..7 equipment by the time the end came. Or is it not the original radar base equipment?
    Oh, my mistake. Must've consulted the wrong notes.

Yes, it's a large TL 8 model. Not ruggedized.