New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than The Disease OOC 2

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Some persuasion to get Vermont Rangers' Intelligence Department, assuming there is one, roll Area Knowledge and Current affairs? Being an organization of more than one man they likely should have these above and beyond personal capabilities, which should be non-negligible by themselves. And then we'll see if we need more info. If successful, Sean will accept either raw info or, if that is classified, an advice based on that.
    Okay, sure.

The intelligence people will need time to do their digging. Let’s say they’ll come back to you with a report tomorrow morning.

So Sean can do other things in the meantime.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    So Sean can do other things in the meantime.
    Let's say Sean goes to Gunmetal as planned and does some shopping there and stays overnight. Meanwhile Volthawk can play the Rangers' officer in charge of militia doing his thing, like...
    1. Evaluating the gang in more practical sense to get a better understanding of how we can use them and whether that matches what they have said (and whether they have any kind of their own transportation, etc.) and/or arranging how they are to be contacted when needed (radio, certain bar(s) or what not) and probably paying the men one day worth welcome pay for their trouble out of the pre-allocated funds given earlier by Sean.
    2. Being contacted by Leemus and having him pre-screened for the superiors (like Richard and Sean).

We'll pick the officer (and Leemus) some early time tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll follow all your lead on how best to introduce Lemus (spelling change). GM can prompt me in the IC Thread whenever he'd like me to start action.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSpeg View Post
    I'll follow all your lead on how best to introduce Lemus (spelling change). GM can prompt me in the IC Thread whenever he'd like me to start action.
    No worries. I'm on it.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reposting as requested.

Spoiler: Attributes 110
    Show
    ST 15 DX 12 IQ 10 HT 12
    Secondary
    Damage 1d1+1/2d+1, BL 45
    HP 15/15 Per 10 Will 11 FP 12
    Basic Speed 6 Basic Move 7

Spoiler: Advantages 45
    Show
    High Pain Threshold
    Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin)
    Fit, Very
    Unfazeable

Spoiler: Disadvantages -47
    Show
    Gigantism
    Overconfidence
    On The Edge
    Low Empathy
    Klutz
    Staid
    Uncongenial

Spoiler: Skills 82
    Show
    Intimidation 14
    Guns (Light Machine Gun) 17
    Guns (Rifle) 19
    Guns (Pistol) 18
    Knife 13
    Fast-Draw (Ammo) 13
    Throwing 12
    Climbing 12
    Hiking 12
    Running 12
    Urban Survival 10
    Stealth 14
    Garrote 13
    Tactics 9
    Observation 10
    Forced Entry 13
    Search 11

Spoiler: Gear
    Show
    Shoes
    Leather Jacket
    Leather Gloves
    Backpack, Frame
    Blanket
    Crowbar, 3'
    Personal Basics
    Cord, 3/16", 20 yards
    Lantern
    Oil, Lantern, 1 pint
    Large Knife
    Canteen
    Waterproof Matches, Box of 50
    Traveler's Rations, 10 meals

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    DR: Eyes 1, Skull 3, Face 1, Legs 1, Arms 2, Torso 2, Groin 1, Hand 3, Foot 2, Neck 1, Vitals 2
    Dodge 9, Parry 8 (Large Knife), Parry 9 (Natural Attacks)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Judging by the skills on Leemus' sheet, I'm gonna say Leemus does not know much about The Gutter, just the urban legends and common knowledge.

The Gutter is a vast underground network of Old World structures. It is rich in many varieties of treasure, but it is beyond dangerous due to the rampant disease, traps, haywire security systems and other treasure hunters that lurk in the depths. Many have died in The Gutter, but every so often you hear of someone coming back from the depths with the kind of payoff that makes risking a thousand deaths worth it.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean hands Lemus some gear for the mission, lines 184..195 of group gear of our doc. Also, feel free to copy / make a full page for yourself, like that of Richard and Sean.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, I've put all his equipment there to keep track of. Could you explain the formatting a bit though, what is the difference between travel load vs combat load?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

That is mainly useful when traveling on foot. The idea is that you drop the backpack before any planned combat.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard, have you rolled for HP recovery yet?
    Your HT roll and the Physician roll can both heal you for every day of rest.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard heals some more.
    Next day! Record the meals (food and water) consumed.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

To everyone's horror and sorrow, however, the people of the radar base discover three merchants who came to this base selling clothing, blankets and other cloth items have committed suicide sometime last night. They left no note. Their fellow merchants mourn...

(OC: Sean and Richard, I believe you two have the Guilt Complex Disadvantage? You may be severely troubled by these deaths...)
    I think guilt complex only triggers if we have reasons to believe we are somehow responsible. Right off the bat, Sean would rather expect someone else was responsible. I'll write to the effect some time tomorrow, but basically Sean does not buy the "suicide" part of the story and will start to investigate it at length.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nah, Guilt Complex triggers if anything bad happens to people it covers, regardless of the details - it not being your fault just reduces the duration of the depression a bunch and makes self-control easier.

The question really is whether the visiting merchants are among those covered by it - it covers "those who play a significant role in your life. This includes adventuring companions, employers, subordinates, Allies, Dependents, and those toward whom you have a Duty or a Sense of Duty". The mechanical ones aren't relevant, I think (Richard has a party-level Sense of Duty, but that's about the same as adventuring companions, I suppose, and shouldn't cover these guys), and they're not employers (I'm guessing that's supposed to mean long-term employers, rather than our PCs becoming strangely attached to everyone who pays them to do something) or members of our team, so I guess it depends on if they count as subordinates or being significant in some other way. IIRC last time we discussed heirarchy with the merchants, they were quite insistent on keeping independent, so they're probably not subordinates, and as for the general significance...well, I mean, the fact that they've been described as three nameless merchants mean they probably weren't individually significant to the exiles.

Richard's not going to be happy about it either way, of course, but I think he and Sean are spared from the heavy depression.

Although for future reference, hm. It saying "If anything bad happens" with that emphasis on the anything means it probably should've come up in the near-death scares we've had before - not every battlefield injury, of course, but the couple of times we've had someone go down to 0 or even into low negatives. Something to note for the future, I suppose.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2023-08-20 at 04:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point. You're both fine for now. The deaths do not trigger Guilt Complex.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

makes a trip to the facility that has been of his interest.
    You're referring to the gas station with the lift down to the underground laboratory here, right?
    Could you point me towards a specific post in the IC thread/s where it was first arrived at?
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2023-08-27 at 07:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, that one. We've first arrived there in post #652 on page 22.

OC: -20% travel time, mark off the fuel used. Do you need me to remind you of the distance?
    Yes, I'll need the distance and how much fuel is a bike's tank (and how much fuel is Humvee's tank if it is not like the normal cars').
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-08-28 at 01:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that one. We've first arrived there in post #652 on page 22.

Yes, I'll need the distance and how much fuel is a bike's tank (and how much fuel is Humvee's tank if it is not like the normal cars').
    The distance to the gas station form the radar base is 75 miles.
    A motorcycle without flaws has a fuel tank of Range 200 (miles).
    The HMMWV has a fuel tank of Range 300 (miles).
    1 gallon of Gasoline is good for about 42 miles.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

1 gallon of Gasoline is good for about 42 miles.
    For the HMMWV? And what about the bikes? They probably do more miles per gallon, I'm just not sure how much goes in that 200-mile tank.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSpeg View Post
    .What is the range penalty for shooting that far?
    Range penalties are on B550. For 200 yards, it's -12. Also read pages 34..35 of AtE2 for navigating the crumbling structures.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

For the HMMWV? And what about the bikes? They probably do more miles per gallon, I'm just not sure how much goes in that 200-mile tank.
    The gallon gives that much miles in every tank, I believe. An average car has 12 gallons to a tank (I'm taking the Sedan stats as the average car, it has Range 500, rounding down that means 1 gallon of gasoline is good for 42 miles).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Klutz along with things like Overconfidence/On the Edge is so bad haha, I'll need to save my points and buy that off.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll leave it to Volthawk to determine how many of his men will do the "storming" and where the rest will be if they remain outside. Reading the rules, we can collapse this building by simply repeating enter-leave-enter sequence with a number of men, but right now that's not the plan.

23. - Top - End - #113

I don't think I remembered to say it here, but for the last week and a bit I've been very low internet due to travel and other stuff (related to that death in the family I mentioned before), hence not being around to give Ranger-related instruction (I was able to post here and there elsewhere, but I slipped behind here and it seemed like the rest of you had things in hand). Getting up to speed now.

EDIT: What did we say the rangers were equipped with, again?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2023-09-02 at 06:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    EDIT: What did we say the rangers were equipped with, again?
    Lines 252..333 of the doc. We've left one commander back at base, so say lines 259..270 are out. The rest of the men are in.

25. - Top - End - #115

Lines 252..333 of the doc. We've left one commander back at base, so say lines 259..270 are out. The rest of the men are in.
    So two shotguns, two BARs and an M16 with underbarrel GL, gotcha.

Has the launcher been given the same kind of field mod Tariq had to remove the minimum distance? Considering having that guy offer to sling a stun down there, but that might not be viable in the circumstances.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

So two shotguns, two BARs and an M16 with underbarrel GL, gotcha.
    Not quite. Two shotguns, seven BARs and six M16s, of which two are with GLs (look at them numbers). Also special duplex ammo in BARs that gives less damage and shoots x2 rcl 1. The shotgun guys are the demolition man and the driver, the rest are troopers and one officer. BAR guys all have radios.

Has the launcher been given the same kind of field mod Tariq had to remove the minimum distance? Considering having that guy offer to sling a stun down there, but that might not be viable in the circumstances.
    Having less minimum is property of the ammo and we make all new ammo of that kind, so you are good on that account. I guess they both are loaded with flashbangs because Lemus is with all frags, to that's that unless you reload. Good news you can shoot straight at BAR guys because they have all protected senses.
    Last edited by u-b; 2023-09-03 at 12:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

I will be away for about two weeks starting tomorrow, but that should not seriously affect my posting rate.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Lemus, the bad guys have Dodge 9, and they will attempt to dive/retreat (+3) if you shoot at them.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lemus should probably start breaking his shots up when given the chance, he's seriously overkilled the last two targets. 1 or 2 shots at the head maybe.

30. - Top - End - #120

Can those three rangers still see that group of five after taking a couple of seconds for confirmation? If so, what's the range, and how far apart if they if the rangers go for hitting several in one burst? On that note, what level of guns skill do the rangers have, again (all rifles, for reference)?