New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Royal Artificery Society - OOC II: electric boogaloo

Would Bolten be more likely to under or to overvalue his work?

Also, IC response might be a couple days, as I've been sleeping quite poorly which means I'm not doing too well.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

@Prehysterical nice to see you're still around. Hope you have more time and energy!

@DeTess oh no, no sleep? Nothing like pbp posting while you should be sleeping to make the problem worse!

@MrAbdiel hope you're okay...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    @MrAbdiel hope you're okay...
    I am okay! Thank you so much. Feeling much better, and catching up everywhere.

I think Aiden is ready to check in with Shandara about the wood they're working with, whenever our timelines permit.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck, there will be a small package arriving for Shandara the next morning with the documents you asked for.

@mrabdiel, good to hear you're doing better!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

@windstruck. There are two main tracks for entering the society.

The first is through the academy. There are entrance exams to demonstrate basic academic aptitude, then 5-8 ish years of studying and learning and if you complete your studies with a certain minimum grade you get invited to join the society if you want (not everyone does so, there are other positions available for graduates of the society's academy).

The second is for people with significant skills already. Those would have to pass an assessment consisting of interviews and a couple of tests of skill, generally involving completing selected commissions. Sponsorship by a member of the society can fasttrack the process, but is not necessary.

Sometimes someone outside the society displaying a great degree of skill could get invited in as well.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Would Bolten be more likely to under or to overvalue his work?

Also, IC response might be a couple days, as I've been sleeping quite poorly which means I'm not doing too well.
    From his perspective, he would undervalue his work since he would rather cheat himself than offend anyone by charging too much.

Hope you are feeling better.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

@prehsyterical, your estimate would then be that it's fair to ask about 1800 GP for the two machines they requested. After subtracting your material costs you'll be able to pocket 1200 GP

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Would I need any rolls to determine how well Shandara can understand what is written in the book?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Not really. this is high level stuff so you might need to refer to some other books as well, but assuming you're spending the rest of the evening on it you should be able to get a decent enough grasp at least.

edit: regarding your questions:

1. magi-babble Connection magi-babble inherent properties magi-babble shared 'soul' magi-babble spiritual DNA magi-babble (sorry). Essentially the spell performs a kind of scan on a fundamental level looking at the objects essence, and then compares the two essences to see if they're similar enough. If you were to specialize the spell you'd have to look at fewer variables to get a comparable essence (for example, imagine a spell that compares the DNA of two biological samples. it would work for blood and hairs and a person, but not for a piece of cloth and a torn garment. As it is the spell looks at DNA, and thread-count, and material, and the exact make-up of the metal it's made up of, and a number of different magical properties, and...).

2. the book does not answer this question, merely establishing that it happens and providing experimental proof of the rate. The writer theorizes the samples either start to decay or diverge tot eh point that after some time the connection no longer exists. The writer also theorizes different factors might be in play for different materials.

Detangling the spells is definitely possible, though it'll take a bit of effort. The spell as it is already fairly optimized (almost as far as it can be while still doing everything it does at once), so it'd take a bit of effort to detangle specific components form the entire weave and reassembling them back into a coherent spell. You reckon with a day or two you could reassemble it into more specialized 2nd level spells, and with significantly more time you could probably optimize those down to 1st level by really pruning anything unnecessary.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2023-10-14 at 11:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'll plan to spend the rest of the evening there, minus some breaks and such. Regarding the questions I had, is there any reason for the dropping off that Shandara can deduce, rather than, what is merely speculated or theorized in the book itself?

In addition to this research, yes, I think I'd plan to make some effort into detangling the spells, but since time seems to be of an issue, for now, won't optimize them further to try to get them down to level 1. After all, the job requested was some research delving into what may be possible, and the associated costs, but not like.. you know, an actual prototype.

Additionally, you mentioned Shandara would be receiving a package tomorrow from Whitecliff, which I think would hopefully do an even better job of explaining the spell, and I think at some point a written contract to sign as well?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-10-14 at 07:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

You can't deduce anything of the top of your head. It might also be that maybe, once separated, the two objects eventually become their own thing, but there's no way to tell what us right without some experimentation.

The package arriving the next morning actually contains both the contract, a copy of that book, and a slightly more detailed diagram of the spell.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, think we should skip ahead to the next morning? Hm.. I need to see where Aiden is at time wise.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I've reviewed the activity for Aiden and Shandara. Our characters had last met at the Grand Plaza and been helped by a glass enchanter, regarding resist energy (sonic). Since then...

Aiden
    1st day: researching Archduchess Vilfaren and asking ship workers about Tundra Oak.
    midnight he works at the Granite Street Workshop
    2nd day: napping till afternoon. Gives Tree proposal to Vilfaren Estate

Shandara
    1st evening: Shandara researches resist energy (sonic), and proofreading her paper
    2nd day/evening: researching getting a protective field to expand or change properties, creates a wooden disk prototype that resists fire temporarily
    3rd day/evening: visiting Jay with SSS, then submitted her report, then got her commission from the CGGP.

So I believe I have spent three days on Shandara, and Aiden has only spent two days since we last met. I'm thinking, maybe Aiden could spend his third day on the harp and on his little tree prototype, and we'd be synced up again?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-10-17 at 09:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I've reviewed the activity for Aiden and Shandara. Our characters had last met at the Grand Plaza and been helped by a glass enchanter, regarding resist energy (sonic). Since then...

Aiden
    1st day: researching Archduchess Vilfaren and asking ship workers about Tundra Oak.
    midnight he works at the Granite Street Workshop
    2nd day: napping till afternoon. Gives Tree proposal to Vilfaren Estate

Shandara
    1st evening: Shandara researches resist energy (sonic), and proofreading her paper
    2nd day/evening: researching getting a protective field to expand or change properties, creates a wooden disk prototype that resists fire temporarily
    3rd day/evening: visiting Jay with SSS, then submitted her report, then got her commission from the CGGP.

So I believe I have spent three days on Shandara, and Aiden has only spent two days since we last met. I'm thinking, maybe Aiden could spend his third day on the harp and on his little tree prototype, and we'd be synced up again?
    That sounds fine to me.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Sounds good!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Do you want to RP that or... just kinda gloss over it and we meet up? Hm. I guess Shandara could share the results of what she has found so far, as could Aiden about the Tundra Oak and what happens when you steam it or soak it in warm water?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Let's do it! I can post a little later, setting it up as if Aiden has yet again invited himself over to ramble.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds good to me! Shandara will probably be having some "breakfast" at the time.

She'd have received a package and be poring over some other book or contract when Aiden comes, I imagine. But sure, you post first.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding freezing the wood, you would need a magical means, just a cold box lined with ice won't do it. The one helping Aiden used a cantrip level spell specifically made for freezing objects at close range, but a ray of frost should work well enough for small parts.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Would I be able to find someone in the city that already has a spell to freeze an object uniformly? ...like the cantrip you just mentioned?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I'll also have Shandara roll knowledge local (or nobility?) for what Archduchess Aiden is talking about. I think you've already put an info dump on her and her family somewhere though...

(1d20+8)[21]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Would I be able to find someone in the city that already has a spell to freeze an object uniformly? ...like the cantrip you just mentioned?
    Are you looking for someone to aid in the process, or do you simply want to learn the spell? In the latter case it can be found in the archives quite easily, in the former case it might take a bit of effort to find someone with the time to help you.

General info on the Archduchess and her family: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...5&postcount=44

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

I guess it'll be simple enough to just do a bit of research. As it is a cantrip, I am sure it can be found with little time.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2023-10-23 at 03:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Are we done with the scene at Shandara's house?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Hooray, I'm done with study for the semester!

And I think we're done with Shandara's house scene. Aiden has to

1. Finish the harp and present his model and the harp to the Archduchess for consideration.
    2. See if he can't schmooze some borrowed tools for use with superhard woods from the fellas at the drydock who have been so helpful, and whom Aiden has probably chatted the ears off from last time.

The first will take a week (and change) of work. The second is probably just a couple hours walking and talking.

If they are able to supply high quality tools that approach the effectiveness of the adamantine ones, even for part of the job, Aiden will pause the harp to get some elements of the ranger's violin done so Shandara can get enchanting it. So that's mostly up to your timing, DeTess. Did you want to play out Aiden's shipwright schmoozing, or just roll it?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

I'm fine with just a roll.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Well, this is pretty important, so I'll sink my once-per-day luck +8 into it! (1d20+23)[32] for diplomacy. Unless they're happy to offer aid in exchange for a jaunty tune, in which case my +2 Masterwork instrument will also kick in!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

The tools they have are a bit too expensive to just give away, but they're willing to let you borrow a set from a colleague of theirs who is recuperating from illness. You can borrow the tools for two weeks, but they ask if you could take the time to play once or twice at a small plaza in the city. The colleague in question lives in one of the houses around it and they hope the music will help him recover.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Perfect. Aiden loves playing music as favours! For the first time since he's arrived in the city, there will be a little wooden sign resting up against the railing where he normally plays in the morning at the society campus with a woodburned message: "Playing at a new location today; back tomorrow." And that, next to the board he always has up explaining that donations go to the Stormdrains Recovery Project, and a little wooden box in case anyone is generous enough to still give. He'll set that up in the morning, go play for the injured man, snag the tools on the way home, and throw himself at getting the violin started. If he can, he'll meet the injured shipwright, talk his ear off about the hobby project he has going with the lads at his shop, and hit him with the ol' Cure Light Wounds if applicable to his condition.

Kind of a lot of errands, but

Day 1: Finish "Legacy Tree" Model, Negotiate with shipwrights, put in a 1/2 Day on the Harp (Model complete, Harp at 68.5/1000)
    Day 2: Play at Injured Fellow Plaza, Pick Up Tools, put in 1/2 Day on the Violin, check in with Shandara re: Ice Magic for the Tundra Oak
    Day 3: Full Day on Violin (hopefully creating enough of the pieces that need no curvature that Shandara can start laying enchantment foundation upon)
    Day 4: Drop off those elements with Shandara, Play again at Injured Fellow Plaza, put in a 1/2 Day on the violin.

Then we'll see how we've progressed. At some point Shandara is likely to have to visit Aiden's shop to help with the shaping of the curved elements of the instrument, which will be fun.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-08 at 03:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I think Shandara's "Day 1" would be going to the archives to look up the spells mentioned (freezing object spell, and plant preservation spell) and copying them to her spellbook, and going to cut some suitable gems for the violin. This does probably include needing to go out and buy two suitable gems to cut, so I guess that's actually what she does first while most business are still open...

Ah so let's see.
    1) buy gems/supplies
    2) go to archives and copy spells
    3) cut gems.

Would this all take one day or would I need two for the gems, given how long high value items generally take to take?