New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer [Part 2]

"Swarms of ravens serve the Pale Tower and act as spies," Nadya explains. "The few that escaped will surely report your presence here - strangers in southern garb. We must hurry to Waldsby, where hopefully I can hide you before the ravens summon the tower's soldiers to the village."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Moorgram nods. "Then let us hurry."

3. - Top - End - #33

Nadya finally leads the PCs to her home village of Waldsby, on the northeastern fringes of the Hoarwood Forest. Once in the village, the PCs draw plenty of attention from the locals. Nadya greets those residents concerned for her safety, but many of the villagers stare and point at the PCs before whispering concernedly and leading their children away. Others are intrigued, hoping that the newcomers have brought new wares from the south to trade, and not yet realizing the PCs aren’t merchants (or their fabulous enslaved beasts of burden). Nadya does her best to lead the PCs past the throng, taking them to her home—a stout, unassuming cabin on the edge of town. She introduces the PCs to her remaining children, twin boys named Orm and Mjoli, as well as an old woman named Kashka who looks after boys during Nadya’s frequent travels. At this point, the PCs have a chance to rest. Nadya provides the PCs with a hot meal and warm beds (or warm stabling), bidding them to stay put while she delivers her food shipment to the fortified storehouse on the other side of the village and makes arrangements to better outfit them for their travels in Irrisen. When she returns soon after, Nadya brings a collection of winter clothing (equivalent to a traveler’s outfit for each PC) with her, urging the PCs to wear the more common peasant garb of Waldsby to avoid drawing attention to themselves.

The town is cold, but magic and plenty of posted fires keep it warm enough that a traveler's outfit suffices. Note that these traveler's outfits are in the garb of traditional Irriseni, not just "generic," so wearing southern style - or banging around in southern-style cold weather clothing - would bring attention to you. She also has saddle blankets in a more northern style as well.

Thereafter, the PCs can rest, recover from any injuries, and replenish their resources before following through on the Black Rider’s assigned task. They are also free to explore the village and learn more about the people and culture of Irrisen. Note that this far north, very few of the villagers speak Taldane, the “Common” tongue of the Inner Sea region. Most of Irrisen’s peasants speak Skald instead. If none of the PCs speak Skald, Nadya can act as a translator for them in their interactions with Waldsby’s residents. Note that Lady Argentea and Moorgram are the only two members of the party that speak Skald. The two beasts (Windrunner and Arthog), the faerie (Ten-Penny), and the .... wut? (Darkhelm) .... don't speak Skald.

What do you want to do the first day in Waldsby? Rest weary hearts and souls?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You don't feel as if completely resting for the day will go against the Black Rider's Mantle.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

Moorgram dons the local clothing and waits for Nadya to return, offering to help cook as thanks for the shelter and guidance.

Show
    Moorgram will relax and wait to find out more about the town and it's people/customs before running around and drawing more attention to himself.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Windrunner tries to stay out of sight while spending time gaining understanding of his new form and abilities.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Moorgram, you have headaches and start seeing blurred or double vision. Do you call it early and go to bed?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Feeling unwell, Moorgram goes to bed hoping it is merely fatigue.

8. - Top - End - #38

Starday, 26 Erastus 4713 AR
    Weather: -15 / -30 F. Sparse flurries (1/2" snow). Ground cover (6" snow). Winds N 20 mph. Wind Chill: -40 / -55 F.

The next morning .... everyone does what they do for the morning, and the old woman of the house (Kashka) invites the party to the main dining room. A quick shelter had been put up yesterday so that the two "mounts" (Arthog and Windrunner) could have a window to the main room. More will be built over today so that it becomes a temporary stable to house them while they can interface with the household, but for now that makes for a cold breakfast despite the hot meal. The fire is roaring quite well to try to keep up with what amounts to a wide open window/door.

The PCs should soon realize from reports from Darkhelm that Waldsby (and its close proximity to the Hoarwood Forest) eerily mirrors the village of Heldren in Taldor, down to the location of many of its buildings. Some of the village’s residents even bear an uncanny resemblance to villagers the PCs knew in Heldren. This comes across as a bit otherworldly and far too unlikely to be a coincidence.

The PCs also learn that everyone in Waldsby fears Nazhena Vasilliovna, the White Witch who rules this area and lives in the Pale Tower, a stronghold less than a day’s ride northwest of Waldsby. The villagers actively gossip about the many soldiers from the Pale Tower who recently marched into the Hoarwood searching for someone. Some of the villagers think the PCs might be the soldiers’ quarry, and wonder if the soldiers will come to Waldsby looking for them.

Despite these concerns, Nadya does her best to make the PCs feel welcome, and she promises to introduce them to locals and recommend equipment to purchase that will help them survive in wintry Irrisen.

"For the help you have given me, I have a pair of magical snowshoes I can give your group, though given your makeup I imagine on Moorgram or Darkhelm would seek to use them. I hope it speeds you on your journey once you're gone from Waldsby, wherever it takes you. You have provided closure for me by discovering my daughter's fate."

Spoiler: Moogram
    Show
    You healed no more or less than expected as you did have some activity and a fight yesterday. Every now and then today, you suffer weird blurring or doubling of vision. Not constant or enough to act as a detriment, but still.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Moorgram simply shrugs at the thanks.

After some time and some vision blurring Moorgram covers his eyes and wipes his hand across his face. "I am unfamiliar with this region and it's illnesses, but my vision has been... unfocused since I have arrived. I thought it merely exhaustion from our journey, but it persists. Is there a healer in town?"

10. - Top - End - #40

Nadya says, "We could go to see the village priest, Rolf Halzberg, but as a priest he is more into the official functions of ceremony than being a healer, and he may not even help or might ask for payment. Usually, powerful adventuring groups like yours have at least one competent healer ... doesn't yours?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

"Our healer stayed behind." Moorgram says dismissively before his face grows dark. "My friend aided me in healing, but now I have only a little coin, but I would be happy to exchange my services as a man of the woods."

12. - Top - End - #42

"Keep your coin," says Nadya. "It's likely I am just as good a healer as Rolf. With all of my travels and the various afflictions one can face on the road - and adding canine health to that for the sled dogs - I've had to learn the basic healer's craft. What ails you?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

"My vision, from time to time it has been blurring and doubling." Moorgram replies.

14. - Top - End - #44

"Do you consent to me doing a physical on you?" she asks.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-07-12 at 01:41 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Moorgram nods. "Go ahead."

16. - Top - End - #46

She will do a full health inspection, asking various questions. Moorgram's own knowledge of the healing arts are actually quite helpful to her, as he responds and notes various aches or minor things in a manner that helps her to refocus. His eyes don't have any issues while this is happening.

Once the inspection is over. "I can't find anything definitively wrong with you. When you want to focus on something, you seem to be fine, so we'll have to wait and see on that. Your reflexes are good, so you don't have the dizzy sickness, which sometimes comes with trouble focusing vision. Other than some sores in your mouth and what appears to be minor chills - likely caused by not being acclimated to being cold all the time - you're fine. Quite fit, in fact."

Windrunner, while that is happening, you were just staring on respectfully from the dining room window ... a great large beast overlooked with your relative inactivity. You can't help notice that the house - while not a wreck - definitely looks like it hasn't been cleaned or straightened up in awhile.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Moorgram let's out a sigh. "Well, let's hope it is just some fatigue from the travel. Thank you."

18. - Top - End - #48

For the next few days, do either of you (alone, or with a "master") seek to explore Waldsby? or, do you try to keep a completely low profile at Nadya's?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Feeling uncomfortable in this distant and uncertain land, Moorgram asks: "Would it be possible to get a tour of the town. Its more suspicious being strangers trying to not be seen than acting as visitors, don't you think? Besides, if something happens, we should at least know our way around."
    Show
    Moorgram would ask for a tour of the town so in case something happens he could at least find his way to the major places of note. He also will pay attention to his dizzy spells and look for any similarities or patterns that might trigger them if they persist.

20. - Top - End - #50

Nadya admits that a tour of the town would be a way to quell the more fantastical scuttlebutt that might occur by getting in front of rumors. If she (carefully) shows you to the townsfolk, they might be more willing to help in case of danger.

Windrunner, do you join the tour?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"I, too, would like to see your town. If you think it ok that I be included." Windrunner says, looking at both Nadya and Moorgram.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

22. - Top - End - #52

They will get horse blankets and the like, and have Windrunner's wings underneath the packed blankets, and horse's hood (or two) loosely placed atop. Not enough for a true "disguise" but enough so that an aerial observer might miss the beak and won't see Windrunner's colorful plumage. As such, Lady Argentea will guide Windrunner instead of riding.

Darkhelm will be packed under clothes so that very little of her face will show through.

Arthog and Ten-Penny will stay behind to watch over the house.

And so, a tour of the town begins.

During the tour, more and more Moorgram has this doubled vision. At first, yes, there is a sort of "dizziness" that comes from trying to track everything visually .... the dizziness (which slowly starts to abate) comes from the strange visual phenomena, and NOT the other way around as might be expected.

At one point, a man is pulling a heavy sack off a cart from an unbalanced position. Moorgram sees the man fall and his head crack against the easement and by reflex goes out to .... help the man that had not yet fallen by supporting his back. It seems this weird pre-image effect is precognitive, not just a doubling or a general blurring!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

"Careful." Moorgram sternly tells the man before returning to his group. He rubs his eyes and draws his hand down his face."It seems it is no illness, nor fatigue." he states to Nadya, saying no more of it until they can be away from prying eyes and ears.

24. - Top - End - #54

She doesn't stop the tour short, though, and the tour completed, the motley group returns to Nadya's disheveled house.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

When they arrive back at Nadya's, Moorgram looks around to make sure nothing seems out of the ordinary. "I saw that man fall and split his skull. But I was able to intervene. Perhaps it was delusion, or maybe I saw a possibility."

26. - Top - End - #56

For the first couple days of laying low at Nadya's house ... Moorgram, Windrunner ... is there anything important you would want to do?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Windrunner doe his best to stay out of sight during the day, staying in the stable and talking to Lady Argentea or Arthog as he gets the opportunity. At night, he works on learning the limits of his new body, as long as there are no crows or ravens around.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Moorgram lacks much coin to resupply, but he takes the next few days to take stock of what kind of equipment and supplies would be needed to make his way to the Pale Tower and asking Nadya about what they might face on their way their and what they might expect upon arrival. Finding no warnings of particular obstacles of note, Moorgram decides to save what little coin he has and spends his time trying to gain a handle on his blurring vision so that it hopefully does not become a hindrance in battle, making some small trips into the village (if Nadya approves) to hopefully provide opportunity for his vision as well as satisfy some of the townsfolk curiosity.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2023-07-24 at 02:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Three days go by, and in that time, Moorgram feels convinced that these weird visions give him preternatural knowledge of the very immediate future. Unfortunately, the majority of times he tries to make use of this knowledge, he is very clumsy and fails bigger than on the rare times he "catches" the right visual stream for a minor benefit or insight. This only seems to make him angrier and angrier, a great well of rage building inside.

Another side of what feeds both his insight and his rage is that his mind seems to expand almost daily, giving him greater knowledge and a greater sense of doom as a result of the curse of knowledge, and his current impotency in his witch powers in all but, possibly, his hexes.

Meanwhile, over the course of those three days, the state of the house gets only worse, and worse, and worse. Nadya seems a little worried, though she does nothing to clean herself.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

"It's been enough time." He rubs away the frustration from his face with the palm of his hand. "It's time I go have a word or two with the witch. If any of you are coming best you get ready."

He turns to address Nadya herself. "Thank you for your hospitality." He pauses a moment thinking. "You seem bothered, is there anything I can do to repay you before heading out?"