New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer [Part 2]

"Actually, speaking of hospitality," says Nadya, "those of you who are at least human-presenting with help - Lady Argentea, Darkhelm, and Moorgram - you've been invited over to a dinner at the White Weasel. It seems the Goltiaevas heard about you and want to meet you. My apologies to your mount, Lady Argentea ... and to Arthog and Ten-Penny. We need to minimize your presences. Perhaps making good inroads with the some of the townsfolk will do well before a dire assault on the Pale Tower?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Moorgram's eye twitches slightly. "I am not one for social engagements. But I suppose it would be best to not make enemies or alienate the townsfolk." He sighs. "What are the customs in these parts for such things? Is it expected to bring gifts, or food? I am not much of one for small talk, but perhaps if I were to bring a hand made gift of some form that would distract from personal questions. Or would that be rude in these parts? What if they ask us what we are doing? Do you think they would run to the Pale Tower if they knew our purpose?" Moorgram groans. "I just wish I would be back in my cabin living my peaceful life with Gingey once again. Surely Gingey would know what to do." His voice trails off at this last bit as his eyebrows furrow.

3. - Top - End - #63

"If you have something to bring, bring it, sure, but it isn't expected," says Nadya. "I will accompany you since you are my out-of-town friends. I'll bring a trinket - a small, carved piece of ivory from a mammoth tusk."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

"If it would be appropriate, and you would permit me to use your kitchen, I will bake a pie for the occasion." Moorgram offers. Providing Nadya offers no complaint, he will set about gathering the appropriate ingredient from what is available and tidying up the kitchen as best as he can to make a pie for the dinner.

5. - Top - End - #65

"Only tidy up exactly what you need for your job and no more, please," Nadya pleads. "No rhetoric about how a fully clean work area helps you. If you can follow that restriction, you may use my kitchen."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Moorgram looks at her curiously. After a pause he responds, "As you wish." He then heads to the kitchen, cleaning a small section of space to work the dough and lighting the oven. He mixes the dough in his own pot and rolls it out with a borrowed rolling pin, which he laments he did not bring his own. Lining his skillet with the dough, and leaving a little bit aside to cover it, he then dices and boils some local berries to make a filling, doing his best to season it with the spices at hand. He then pours the filling into his pie and lays a lattice of dough strips across the top. He places the pie in the oven and sets about cleaning the tools and space he used to make it. He also takes a few minutes to clean himself of the inevitable flour and mess that always accompanies baking.

As it bakes, he examines the state of the kitchen with his eyes, wondering why Nadya would be so against a hand in cleaning. He keeps an eye and nose on the pie, making sure as best he can that it does not burn in an unfamiliar oven, carefully removing it when it seems done. He moves to let it cool on a windowsill like he would back home but remembers the bitter cold here. With a frown he simply lets it cool on the counter until it is time to leave. As the pie rests, he also sits down to wait until it is time to go.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2023-07-26 at 06:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

As Moorgram waits for the appointed time, he remembers stories of house fey that have adopted a household and clean for them, but once a house fey moves in, if the household notices the help but brings attention to it ... especially by continuing to clean some of the house themselves, it offends the house fey and they leave.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

"Curious." Moorgram mutters to himself making a mental note to avoid upsetting such a creature, as well as to ask Nadya while they are away as to why it seems such a creature is not cleaning the house if it is supposed to, but he keeps his thoughts to himself for now as he waits.

9. - Top - End - #69

Soon, it's time, and the dinner-event PCs (sans Darkhelm, who can't figure how to take down hood and like without seeming ungrateful at a dinner) and Nadya are set to go to the White Weasel to a private room while the Goltiaevas have their staff taking care of things with the tavern itself. They are gracious hosts, but also completely shameless busybodies as they thank Moorgram for the pie but then try into folks' background. Still, they are easily taken off task by Lady Argentea, and there is trouble in paradise as other matters seem to have them harping on each other (Katrina usually browbeating Emil).

The dinner they make is .... average. Not bad, just mediocre. They serve a simple roast with potatoes and carrots. When it comes time for Moorgram's pie, it turns out that is average as well, but as with the Goltiaevas dinner, everyone is about pleasantries (surely).

Moorgram, they may be trying to spare you, but when you taste your pie, you find it to be rather bland ... so, not even average but actually not very good. In fact, you don't feel well when you try to force down a second bite.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Moorgram is taken aback at his miserable offering. "I am sorry. My pies are usually much better." He stammers as he questions his own abilities and thinks back to the making of the pie for anything he did wrong. "Maybe the seasonings? Or maybe I used some spoiled berries?" He mutters to himself. He thinks back to the state of the kitchen and house fey and resolves to have a discussion with Nadya later about it. "Please, don't eat any more of it. Forgive me for bringing an ill suited pie to such a graciously offered dinner."

11. - Top - End - #71

It seems that everything is happening at once, Moorgram is so preoccupied with his own pie and blathering, he seemed to have missed some other exchange between Lady Argentea and Karina Goltiaeva. By the time Moorgram is no longer inwardly focused, even despite talking about his pies, he sees a crossbow in Emil's hand trained at Lady Argentea.

"Leave town!"
    the barkeep shrieks. "Leave town and never come back!"

Lady Argentea is remarkably controlled, despite Nadya being completely taken by surprise. She puts a hand on Moorgram's shoulder, "We are leaving, not staying to meet force with force." And more quietly she says to Moorgram, "They're just scared commoners with simple weapons. Don't seek violence because it is offered."

Moorgram, do you get up and simply leave to find out later what might have happened, or do you escalate?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-07-28 at 03:15 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Moorgram stands, his nostrils flare are he stares down Emil for a brief moment. His blood boils as he contemplates putting the Emil to sleep or wrenching the crossbow from his grip, but the threat is not directly pointed at him. He lets out a deep huff and turns to leave, his fist clenched and ready to strike if anyone dares to lay a hand on him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready an unarmed strike if anyone attacks him in range.
    Move to leave.

13. - Top - End - #73

Lady Argentea will not discuss things until back home (and the rest of the party is present).

"The hostess spiked my tea," she says to the assembled group. "It was supposed to make me more compliant, and she suggested I return whence I came, bringing my friends with me. When it was obvious I was unmoved by the spiked tea, that is when Emil panicked. I think they might be informants for the Pale Tower and tried to warn us off."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Moorgram huffs. "We should be off in the morning then." He turns to Nadya, "Do you think they are any daring enough to try anything in the night?"

15. - Top - End - #75

"Nazhena is swift and merciless as all Jadwiga," admits Nadya. "I would normally recommend--"

There is a banging at the door. "Pale Tower Guard! Open in the name of the White Witch of the land!" calls a gruff man's voice from the other side.

"Too late to hide!" hisses Nadya. "Windrunner, Arthog ... you go around. Ten-Penny, too, if you can find her. I will open the door wide and let them in and we flank them. I will cut them all down until I drown in blood for the death they visited upon my daughter Thora."

Lady Argentea nods to Windrunner, with his face poking in through the kitchen window with Arthog.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Moorgram moves for his greataxe, hoping to use it to fell the guards as they enter and moves to guard the door.

Show

Intended actions, time permitting.
    Move to grab greataxe if it would have been resting somewhere at this point.
    Move to side of door.
    Ready to cast slumber hex on first guard to enter the doorway.
    Last edited by Ostoril; 2023-07-29 at 09:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Moorgram grabs his axe and moves to the side of the door.

Windrunner?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Windrunner slips out of the stall and works his way to the corner of the house, planning to come in behind the guards, closing off their path of escape.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Nadya opens the door wide, herself to the side of the doorway, and several of the Pale Guard come straight in but stop, realizing at once that strangers are here.

Begin Round One ...

R1T29: Darkhelm is on the lead soldier in a flash, short sword drawn. She makes a brilliant guarded strike that hits the guard in the side of the chest for 9 while gaining great defensive advantage.

R1T22: Windrunner, outside you saw four soldiers move to enter the house, while another four have taken up a defensive position on the porch ... shields and swords drawn and readied. What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the soldiers set themselves at the door, Windrunner tenses his muscles and prepares for combat. He charges the group. As he runs toward the door, he yells, "On me!" towards Arthog just before he crashes into the first guard.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    SwA: Enter Pugilist's Stance
    FRA Charge Lavender (closest to Arthog) and Overrun w/ the Bullrush w/ the first Claw attack: Claw 1: (1d20+18)[22]
    Claw 2: (1d20+15)[21] for (1d4+4)[8] x2 Slashing Damage4
    Bite: (1d20+13)[17] for 1d6+9[/roll] x2 Slashing Damage
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

21. - Top - End - #81

R1T22: Seeing the soldiers set themselves at the door, Windrunner tenses his muscles and prepares for combat. He charges the group. As he runs toward the door, he yells, "On me!" towards Arthog just before he crashes into the first guard, tearing into the woman's chest with a claw for 13.

R1T21: Arthog waves his horn around, and the two guards start to glow a ghostly blue radiance ... as does Windrunner!

R1T20: Inside the house, Moorgram, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-07-31 at 01:51 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

"Night is a time for rest, not fighting." Moorgram says to the second warrior in the line as he steps forward hefting his axe.
    Show

Cast Slumber hex on blue.
    5ft step East.

23. - Top - End - #83

R1T20: "Night is a time for rest, not fighting." Moorgram says to the second warrior in the line as he steps forward hefting his axe. Blue drops to the ground, asleep.

R1T19-16: "Brown" moves inside, over his sleeping fellow, and up to Nadya and Moorgram. His sword drawn, it clips Nadya in the head for 9. Outside, "Pink" draws her sword and attacks Windrunner, but misses.

R1T15: Ten-Penny is standing on top of a bookcase. She casts a spell and two bolts streak down to hit Brown for a total of 5 force.

R1T13: Lady Argentea takes up a stance that focuses on defensive shield work while also calling out her usual defensive suggestions for those near her. She steps north of Nadya and drops her spear right into Brown's right foot for 21, and Brown drops.

R1T11: Green moves in and engages Lady Argentea with his sword.

R1T9: Blood spattering her white hat and cloak, Nadya shakes clear and steps back. Though she has a bow in hand ... and handaxe and pick at her side ... after getting rattled like that in her own home with her children in the home, something takes over her. Everything in the room rattles and there is a thrumming sound that increases to a deafening crescendo before Nadya shakes her fist at Green and screams. Green isn't harmed, but a powerful unseen force screeches forth to slam into his armor.

Nobody is more surprised at this than Nadya. The strange room-filling sound and energy dissipates.

R1T8: Outside, Purple steps off the porch stairs and swings, but Windrunner ducks completely out of the way. The sword continues in an arc to hit with a loud "whong" against the porch bannnister, and the force transmits to the guard's arm to cause him to drop the sword and take 2 STR.

R1T4: Indoors, Red engages sword to axe against Moorgram.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T29:
    Darkhelm reaches out with her blackened hand (for in Nadya's house, she wears clothes, but is no disguised) and touches Red's chest. Red breathes with a strain for a second, but then resists whatever is happening.

R2T22: Outside ... Windrunner, what do you do?

Arthog on deck, Moorgram in the hole ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

amused Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer [Part 2]

Remaining in Pugilist's Stance, Windrunner continues his attack upon the soldier in front of him.

Show
    FRA: Claw Attack (1d20+13)[25] for (1d4+4)[7] + (1d6)[4] damage
    Claw Attack (1d20+13)[17] for (1d4+4)[5] + (1d6)[5] damage
    Bite Attack (1d20+13)[23] for (1d6+9)[11] + (1d6)[5] damage
    5' Step to NW

Show

25. - Top - End - #85

R2T22: Remaining in Pugilist's Stance, Windrunner continues his attack upon the soldier in front of him. He sends a claw raking across Pink's neck, and as the soldier falls, Windrunner completely murks him with his other claw and bite.

R2T21: Arthog moves forward, and has to go partway up the stairs and stomp on the dead guard to be able to reach Purple. A single stroke through the arm and into the chest drops the guardsman.

R2T20: Moorgram, what do you do?

Ten-Penny on deck, Green in the hole ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Moorgrams blood pulses as he brings his axe to bear against the foes who downed his dear friend. With a roar he swings his axe with all his strength hoping to fell the man before him with a single stroke.
    Show

Engage Risky Strike.
    Rage? (not sure if normal rage or what, but seems appropriate.)
    Greataxe: (1d20+6)[13] to hit (plus whatever from raging) for (1d12+9)[12] slashing damage (plus whatever from raging)

27. - Top - End - #87

R2T20: Moorgram's blood pulses as he brings his axe to bear against the foes who downed his dear friend. With a roar he swings his axe with all his strength hoping to fell the man before him with a single stroke. He put too much emphasis on power and not enough on accuracy, however, as his axe bites the guard's hauberk but doesn't penetrate.

R2T15: From the top of a bookshelf, Ten-Penny casts another spell and two arcane bolts rip into Red for 8 force.

R2T13: Lady Argentea gives a cry, "Let none live to tell the tale, but all else know of the story!" She's pretty good at this war cry bit, because the heroes indoors all feel pretty pumped by that. She stabs Green in the left shoulder with her spear for 13, causing the man to gasp in labored shock and pain.

R2T11: Yet that man has a mission, and that mission will not be denied him before death. He tries to get out of that corner, but Lady Argentea's spear finds his hand for 8, dropping him.

R2T9: Nadya mentally recovers from whatever psychotic break she just had. She looks at the last standing soldier, and now with purpose begins to swirl her hand about. Again, everything in the entire room seems to rattle, shutter, and shake up until the point that she releases a mote of pure coalesced force that hits the man square in the face for 15, disfiguring him and dropping him.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T29:
    Darkhelm steps over fallen soldiers to go outside and see that the quads (i.e., quadrupeds) already handled business. "Clear outside and inside," she says.

R3T22: Windrunner, is there anything you do, or do you drop out of initiative?

Arthog on deck, Moorgram in the hole ...
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Windrunner, upon hearing Darkhelm's declaration, leaps into the air to fly over the town and immediate environs searching for watchers...

Show
    Fly around the area looking for other foes/crows who might report back or ambush the group.
    Double move in initiative to start, in the direction of the witch's tower.

Show

29. - Top - End - #89

R3T22: Windrunner, upon hearing Darkhelm'Lady Argentea's declaration, leaps into the air to fly over the town and immediate environs searching for watchers.

R3T20: Moorgram, what do you do?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Moorgram lets out a deep breath and let's his emotions calm. He then moves to examine the man he commanded to sleep.
    Show

Drop Rage.
    Move east to adjacent to blue.
    Check if blue is just asleep.