New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Altogether [IC]

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Altogether [IC]

Vildyrámok continued to follow Endymia's lead without saying anything out loud that might ruin whatever plans she had. He stood, pulling his clothing in about himself, seeming to almost shrink away a little, making sure mainly his appearance didn't give anything away. Surprisingly quick witted he thought to himself about Endymia. But I guess they wouldn't have sent her here with me otherwise.

Noticing the elf mage sitting on the wagon, Vil took the time to quickly appraise him while Endymia conversed with them. He looked vaguely familiar, but doesn't appear to be anyone he knew from the college or the assembly. Which makes things easier if these are not the fellow petals they are meeting, as the chances of the elf knowing him diminishes any risk of the covers being blown at least.

He startled a little at the one probably called Cervena angrily addressing Endymia. Either this was a strange coincidence or clearly this group are the four petals they were meant to rendezvous with. Amazingly accurate teleportation then Vildyrámok mentally chuckles. Lowering his glasses a tiny amount, Vildyrámok stares intently at the two on the cart as the exchange continues, the bright red glint from his eyes hopefully not too noticeable.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-07-12 at 02:06 AM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The cart stopped. Evindal tilted his head a bit to the right, clearly assessing the demeanor of the woman in heavy armor. Curious. Playing along might be fun. Though, just as he was about to respond, he noticed Cervena approaching. My, she is non too pleased with the sudden company.
    - Blackwood, huh? An unusual destination given the current state of affairs in the area. I take it you're acquainted, - he gave Cervena an encouraging nod and turned his attention to the man in blue robes. There was something oddly familiar to him even besides an oversized tome he carried on his back. An arcane practitioner for sure. Likely not closely involved with the University. The beard. Reddish eyes. And the scars, he has a lot of them, an edge of one is showing. That Order member, and his research veers into unsavory areas of the arcane. Vald-something? He had a fancy title though. Thundermage?..

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff to not give away his surprise at Endymia mentioning the names: (1d20+6)[16].
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-07-12 at 11:50 PM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

The face of the elf that looked back at her was unreadable, giving nothing away. But the group as a whole definitively reacted to her hook. Even the mouth of the warforged seem to drop open in surprise. And from the woods emerged a woman that had previously gone undetected. It must have been the person she'd named. Endymia laughed a conceited laugh, her calculated sweetness quickly waning. "So you are the ones," she concluded, before turning to the unexpected woman. "I'm sorry to drag you into this, my dear sister." Endymia flashed Cervena a broad smile, revealing a dangerous-looking pair of fangs among her otherwise perfect teeth. The sight of those sharp white protrusions made her unflinching grey gaze all the creepier. In truth, the two barely knew each other - and they certainly didn't look very much alike. Endymia had learned of Cervena's existence, and their relation, from the higher-ups; they'd been introduced, but she had yet to take the other woman's measure.

Endymia's unholy powers allowed her to pick up on traces of goodness in others, if she only concentrated. But she felt nothing from Cervena, neither good nor evil. "So that's the kind of woman you are..." she added cryptically. The only traces of light she felt were, surprisingly, from Vildryámok. She could see thin streams of light rising from his body in various places. Her own aura would be a surging shroud of evil, incomparable to the one she now felt.

"Give us a ride, won't you?" The paladin turned back towards the carriage and hopped on without being prompted; the weight of her heavy armor gave the whole vehicle a rock. "Come on, Vil," she invited, waving her partner aboard with a wink. Afterwards she gave a brief introduction in a quieter tone. "I am Endymia Sucourte. I will be assisting you all to the best of my ability. I'm a formidable knight, and a woman of discernment." She was obviously quite a confident person. "I can also work restorative wonders with my divine powers, if you're ever in need of them - as seems likely on such a job."

Show

Endymia detects a faint aura of goodness from Vildryámok. But Cervena's alignment is undetectable. Endymia emits a strong aura of evil.

Sense motive to notice Evindal's reaction.
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll] = 15 (Failed by 1 - Evindal's bluff succeeded)
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-07-12 at 03:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Vildyrámok stepped forward, a small smile on his face, and nodded to the group after his name is mentioned. The large black tome on his back bouncing against his crossbow and backpack with his movements."Vildyrámok, Thundermage of the Assembly. It seems we shall be working together for the time being. Pleasure to meet you all." his voice sounding slightly surreal, booming and quiet at the same time, breathless yet somehow slightly terrifying.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-07-12 at 09:36 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tommasia immediately picked up on the dislike between Cervena and this Endymia. Family issues. Great...

This wasn't helping the sellsword's suspicions about someone higher up in the Rose Petals' ranks being a traitor. Having two agents who obviously had issues with each other needing to work together on such a delicate assignment was a recipe for discord and trouble.

If we survive this, Hackford needs to be investigated...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena, uncharacteristically unsettled, stared at the two newcomers. But an oath was a oath.
    Noticing her knuckles were white with tension, and unable to escape the evil reek from her sister she shook her head and went away, scouting ahead the most inconspicuous group ever…
    Just like father… she thought to herself.

She focused on the track, her senses ready for ambushes and lookouts.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Vildyrámok. This is the name!
    The elf glanced at Tommasia momentarily. I wonder how alike are our impressions of this encounter.

- The pleasure is all mine. Evindal Cairen, - the elf introduced himself. - I'm glad we're all friends here, and assistance from both of you is, of course, welcome. But for the sake of operational security... Who has sent you here? What instructions have you received? Do you have a written order? - he asked with with the same unreadable expression.

Meanwhile, the cart resumed its steady movement. It's becoming too crowded in here...
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-07-13 at 01:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

ClericGirl

Endymia took a seat, and forthwith was leaning back in comfort. She had an excited air about her, but she quietened down a bit as her thoughts turned to Blackwood. Her eyes were staring off somewhere as she pondered the possibilities. After a moment though, the elven man began to question her for more details. He seemed friendly enough, but she just couldn't tell what he thinking. She decided to answer honestly, considering that the party had welcomed her rather warmly.

"It happened a lot like it usually does with high-priority jobs. I received summons from Hackford, and I was teleported here before I had a chance to think twice. It didn't have much in the way of details. Maintain the utmost secrecy, be cautious, and be prepared. But it did say that we were to rendezvous with you all, and make our way to Blackwood." The woman's voice lowered to a faint whisper for the next bit, so that those who would hear her would have to lean in. "And when there, we're to get rid of that enemy commander," her low, breathy voice confirmed. Again, she flashed a fanged smile - this time towards Evindal. "Sounds like fun."

She leaned back and resumed her normal affect to answer his last question. "And of course the thing went up in smoke as soon as I'd read it." The petals were thorough like that - a quality which Endymia greatly appreciated. Fewer loose ends left her in a stronger position to do her work.
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-07-13 at 02:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The definition of fun some people have. Useful for the Petals, though, no doubt. Evindal sighed mentally.
    Outwardly, the wizard smiled at the corners of his mouth.

- Sounds exactly like Hackford, doesn't it? - he nodded. - Welcome to the group. I don't know if there's a collective name for a number of disembodied petals picked up by the wind, - the elf sighed, audibly this time. - I digress. You already possess the bare minimum of information required to accomplish the mission. Sadly, it's simultaneously almost the entirety of intel available. Before we proceed with our main goal, we'll have to identify the target. And before that... Well, you get the idea what kind of mission this one is, - he smiled again, eyeing the companions in sight.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Hobgoblin with the rank of captain," said Tommasia. "In theory, that should narrow things down. Does anyone else speak the goblin language then?"

Her sisters sneered that she would "lower" herself to learn the language. Given the tension between the two empires, Tommasia figured it was better safe than sorry.

Besides, they had some rather colorful insults she could toss under her breath in her siblings' direction from back in the day.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

As your group meets and exchanges information, you all hear the clarion call of something further up, it blares three bleats, it's wails echoing through the forest on all sides, making it a little tricky to pin point exactly where, but from all of you, you are able to discern it's location, something, or someones are coming down the trail. Moments later, you hear the distinct sound of marching armored feet, and the barking of what you assume to be their leader.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

"Well we know where the Captain is, Blackwood. A Hobgoblin Captain would be in command of 200 to 300 total troops? They will be occupying the town and surrounding area most likely. So the real issue isn't what we are doing, but how we do it." Vil replied in general to the ongoing conversation as he casually boarded the wagon. "I guess we have 3 options then, we can try and infiltrate the town posing as members of the enemy forces and/or refugees or somesuch, we attack it with force and just count the corpses later, or we can attempt stealth to enter the town and kill the Captain and hope to slip out again after. I'm more in favour of the second option, but that doesn't seem to be how Hackford wants this done, and without additional information might be suicidal." He sits down, shuffling the book and pack around into his lap to make his position more comfortable.

As he finally gets comfortable the sound of an approaching force breaks the conversation. With a heavy sigh, Vildyrámok moves his pack and back across his back once more, and prepares himself mentally for a potential conflict. "Sounds like we have more immediate concerns though."
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-07-15 at 01:39 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

ClericGirl

Endymia listened coolly to Vildryámok's analysis, but she was surprised to hear his preferred plan. Taking the town by force and putting everyone to the sword was hardly what she had expected from a man with an aura like his. She nodded in approval. The idea was appealing to her, but still... taking on a force of that size would be risky, if his estimations were correct. She couldn't help but feel that a more precise strike would be the wiser move. But she didn't have time to voice her thoughts before the sound of approaching troops was heard. The dark paladin traded glances with the others before shuffling towards the back of the carriage, where she could easily dismount if need be. Endymia didn't have any snide comments at a time like this. Rather, she seemed absorbed in the moment, readying herself to react appropriately to the unexpected visitors.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena stalked the large force coming, keeping hidden and counting the troops and their nature.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cur doesn't react to either the conversation behind him, nor the sounds of incoming company. He trusts that his team will share whatever important info there is to share and will get him caught up at their convenience. That's how a team should work by his understanding.

He keeps his eyes on the road and his ears tuned to the sounds around, ready to drop his guise and enter combat if necessary.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"...we've got incoming ahead of us..." murmured Tommasia, thankful now for a distraction to focus on. Vildyrámok's opinion to just storm the entire town and let the gods sort it out was not helping her mood in the slightest. If Hackford was setting them up to fail right at the start, he was doing a damn good job of it. "Get off the road or bluff it out?"

17. - Top - End - #47

ClericGirl

Endymia looked back towards Tommasia and answered her in a low voice. "Either way, we don't want word of us reaching town before we do. And I doubt if there's time for us to hide now." It was frustrating, but they were going to have to roll with it. "Do you think you can talk them down? I don't know that I can. Groups of soldiers are often.. unyielding."
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-07-16 at 07:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tommasia thought for a moment. Then...

"Cur, make for the side of the road. Keep normal pace though. As if we're just yielding right of way to them. With any luck, they'll just march on by. If not, leaving the talking to me. Mercenary band just looking for work."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Evindal nodded in agreement.

- I would prefer to avoid a fight, but in case anyone feels it's imminent, signal the attack using the phrase "It's going to rain". This might win us a couple of moments.

Then the elf took out a copper piece covered with verdigris and murmured an incantation.

Show
    Evindal casts detect thoughts (will DC 19) and will concentrate on it until further notice.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-07-17 at 03:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"So Tommasia will speak for the group and convince them we are looking for work? Sounds good. I'll wait out of the way until I hear you say "it's going to rain" then. Sounds like the best plan we have to me." he replies to the exchange.

As the wagon begins to head to the side of the road, Vildyrámok pushes his glasses back onto his face and jumps back out of the wagon. He walks around to the side that will face away from the oncoming soldiers so as to keep his presence vaguely unknown for the time being, walking in step with the rear wheel. Not so much hiding, just not standing in plain sight.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-07-18 at 03:35 AM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena circled around the incoming group, doing her best to remain unseen and assess their numbers and intentions.

She only wished they had established some sort of channel of communication, these Petals were not very tactically advanced, but it was also partly her fault, she had let her emotions take over when she saw her sister.

"Anger is for fools" she told herself, but her sister's stench of evil was hard to stomach. Those not blessed with her senses would never be able to understand.

Cervena crouched low and moved swiftly through the densest part of the forest to spy on the marching group.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Listen (1D20+17)[20]
    SPOT:(1D20+18)[27]
    Hide:(1D20+14)[21]
    MS:(1D20+14)[27]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cur, obedient as any servant or draft steed, pulls the cart to the side of the road without stopping or slowing. He keeps his eyes straight ahead and on the road.

Over his shoulder, he grunts, "Please keep in mind that my servitude will not be a thing outside of this role. Enjoy it for now."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

As you pull of to the side of the road, all eyes on the road, and the oncoming enemy patrol, you all hear them before you see them, or perhaps hear more of them, the chatter, and clamor of armor, the rustling of leather, and the dull rhythmic stomping of many feet into dirt over and over again. They breach the bend and abruptly halt with wide eyes and panicked faces.

"HALT!" the sergeant says to his squad "Contact front! Resk and Gruek to the flanks, Ghangis take your team and investigate, Sorchel provide cover, and Esgenum take the rearguard" he barks out in quick succession, the patrol disseminates into it's working parts and within a few heartbeats, you see a group of well armed and disciplined Hobgoblins coming towards you, their tower shields held, hand on the pommel of their swords as they approached, several bowmen had their arrows knocked looking in your direction.

They were well dressed, their armor was clean of rust, and had that oil smell of well kept metal, their sandals were of good leather, and not a one looked hungry, or in the wrong place, these were professional soldiers, and each one fit their gear, and they carried it with the ease and knowledge of a trained men. The leader strides forward to you all "HALT AND IDENTIFY YOURSELVES"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

...showtime...

"OI! HEEL, BEAST!" barked Tommasia to the warforged pulling their cart (and mentally promising herself to buy Cur a drink should they make it out alive from this). Keeping her hands in view, the sellsword then hopped out the cart with the hint of a grin, Jinx at her side. She nodded towards the others in the cart. "All right, crew -- look alive, yeah!"

The woman took a few steps closer to the apparent leader. Mentally, Tommasia ordered Jinx to position herself right next to the hobgoblin barking out orders. The apparition yawned and stretched lazily after it did so. Tommasia stood at attention herself. 'Bout time, 'bout time... I'm Tey'em, saer and we're the Ghost Panthers. Looking for work, looking for opportunity. We can see which way the wind's blowin' an' want t' be part of the winnin' side. Are you in charge then?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Taking 10 on Bluff & Diplomacy for 22 & 28 respectively. Since Jinx is next to the leader, any enemy adjacent to your dark companion takes a -2 penalty on its saves and to its AC -- which would include the save to Evindal's Detect Thoughts ;)

[roll]1d20+12[/roll] Bluff
    [roll]1d20+18[/roll] Diplomacy
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2023-07-25 at 09:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

ClericGirl

Endymia stayed quiet, waiting to see whether the commanding officer would take the bait. She was propped up nonchalantly behind the cart, but her fingers were digging into the hilt of her halberd. All the tension in the air made the moment draw itself out interminably. If things turned sour, she would be tearing these armored goblins to pieces in a few second's time. The soldiers looked like professionals, but then, so were they. She'd take their chances if it came to that. Now was the crucial moment. Now it was time to see whether they'd be leaving a wake of blood on their way into Blackwood.
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-07-25 at 09:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Just before the patrol could notice them Evindal moved closer to the back of the cart and assumed relaxed, even bored exterior.

Even while concentrating on the hobgoblin soldiers' mental presence he smiled inwardly at Tommasia's performance. Now let's see if he buys it.
    The elf focused his attention on the officer. It was delicate work, to dismantle someone's mental defenses and peer into their thoughts with the target none the wiser.

Show
    I assume by this time Evindal knows intelligence scores of people in 60 ft cone.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-07-27 at 02:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin sergeant eyes Tommasia and her crew with suspicion, taking in their appearances and the words she spoke. He holds his ground, his expression stern and unmoving. Behind him, the rest of the patrol remains vigilant, shields raised, ready to respond to any sign of aggression.

"You claim to be the Ghost Panthers, seeking work and opportunity?" the hobgoblin sergeant responds, his voice gruff and skeptical. "And you expect us to believe that you simply wish to join our cause?"

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff failed, but diplomacy was successful
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Taking off his glasses and letting out a small sigh, Vildyrámok steps around the corner, activating his devil sight. He steps out around the rear of the caravan, his large black spellbook with it's demonic looking motif at his side facing the Hobgoblin leader, the burn scars on his face visible and his eyes glowing a bright and very obvious evil looking red, with his pupils looking like those of a cat. "Do we look like we are some band of pathetic do-gooders? I am no human. We kill who we are told to to kill, and we want to get paid for it. My soul belongs to the lords of the nine hells, I can serve no other masters except those that enter into a contract with me for payment. So all you need to ask yourself is what sort of people would willingly work with me? Our leader here has offered you the services of talented killers nothing else." he spoke, emphasising the distorted qualities of his voice a little to push the point, but clearly a little annoyed, yet still softly spoken at the same time. "But, I am merely a mass murderer, so I will leave the exact details and nature of our agreement up to her capable hands." he finished, leaning against the back of the wagon and pushing his glasses back onto his face.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-08-02 at 01:06 PM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The fact that the hobgoblins weren't automatically attacking was a good thing. More time to talk meant hopefully more time to ferret out information, both through mundane and magical means by way of Evindal's spell. But before Tommasia could continue, the warmage decided to pipe up.

"Easy, boy..." The hint of an edge tinged the sellsword's words as she shot Vildyrámok a pointed look -- one any soldier regardless of species would be familiar as "speak only when you're damn well spoken to". She turned back to the hobgoblin addressing her, flashing him a tight, quick smile and sighed. "...they get so eager sometimes. But yes, consider us a newly formed band. Joined together by a common goal -- the elimination and humiliation of that mewling ponce who thinks she farts sunshine! Each of us wronged in some way by that so-called 'Queen'. My own family EXECUTED on her orders due to a bloody whim--!"

Letting the rage appear to bubble, Tommasia spat in disgust and scowled dramatically, then allowed herself the pause in order to compose herself. That last statement was, after all, technically true in some part.

"Indeed, revenge is sweet. Revenge while getting paid is even better. War is all well and good, but you and your army aren't subtle. You need folks who can walk amongst the lot here and tell you what's up beforehand. Where and who to hit. You -- you need me and my crew..."

And if there was a traitor already in the Rose Petals, maybe an offer like this would flush out who it was for Evindal to pick up in the hobgoblins' thoughts...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena was still undetected, there was a decision to be made, she could remain in shadows, or she could reveal herself.

The rest of the petals were out, but she decided it was not time to give away her position. She stalked the regiment and identified soft spots. Her only regret was the tactical misstep of not having established a line of communication with the group.