New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Altogether [IC]

1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Altogether [IC]

Spoiler: Surface Thoughts
    Show

"Ugh, why do we have to deal with these travelers? I just want to get this over with and return to camp. No time for distractions."
    "Finally, a chance to prove myself as a capable leader. This encounter might be my opportunity to impress the sergeant and advance in rank."
    "I hope these outsiders give us a reason to attack. It's been too long since I've had some real action."
    "Stay focused. We must be cautious and ready for anything."
    "This is just another routine encounter. Let's get through this quickly and get back to camp."
    "I wonder if these travelers have any valuables we could take."
    "I hope they try something. I'm itching for a fight!"
    "I can't believe we have to deal with this. Boring!"
    "I wish I was back at camp. Why do we have to handle this?"
    "If the sergeant gives the command, I'll tear these travelers apart!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Vildyrámok nods at the order given by Tommasia. Adopting a more submissive stance he moves back to the other side of the wagon again to lean at his post, using the wagon wheel to block the view to him again, waiting for further instructions.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cur remains standing in a pose similar to parade rest. Between watching for signs of impending attack and feeling the weight of his spiked chain, currently wrapped around a wrist like a bracelet, he's ready for action... maybe even looking forward to it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

Still leaning against the back of the cart in a nonchalant manner, Endymia couldn't help but raise an eyebrow when she heard Vildyrámok's words. That he was a mass-murderer, and a servant of the nine hells? 'Tch. What a crock,' she thought. She would have felt that on him right away. And yet, the book he displayed did have a sinister quality about it. The man obviously had quite the story to tell - if he could live long enough to share it.

To the paladin's ears, Tommasia's appeal was an easier pitch, but still, it sounded a bit bold. She considered stepping forward to aid in the act, but thought better of it. 'No... I'm armed to the teeth right now; my appearance wouldn't exactly mesh with what she's saying... For the moment, the less attention I draw to myself, the better.'

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

As Tommasia speaks, the expressions of the hobgoblins remain unchanged, and their thoughts echo their initial skepticism and distrust. The corporal's thoughts reflect his doubts about the adventurers' claims. "This tale sounds too convenient. They want us to believe they're just mercenaries seeking revenge? There's something they're not telling us."

The sergeant's mind is resolute, his thoughts a mixture of caution and determination. "No matter how convincing they sound, we can't let our guard down. These outsiders could be spies or troublemakers. We must continue with the original plan."

The rest of the patrol remains vigilant, their thoughts a combination of suspicion and readiness to respond to any potential threats. They share silent glances, maintaining their defensive formation and keeping a close watch on the adventurers.

Evindal's magical influence subtly weaves through the hobgoblins' thoughts, confirming their disbelief in the adventurers' story. The spell detects a consistent undercurrent of doubt and wariness about the travelers' true intentions.

The speaking hobgoblin stiffens and frowns "I do not believe you." he says simply, and you all notice the tell tale tensing of bow strings, grips, and muscle in preparation for combat.

Spoiler
    Show

Map
    Only edit your own stuff please.
    Roll init if you are going to that.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-08-08 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

6. - Top - End - #66

ClericGirl

Endymia noticed the situation slowly going south, but things got much more tense all at once when the speaking hobgoblin finally rejected them. A wave of aggression passed through the crowd, and it felt like anyone near the cart was about to become target practice. The paladin sighed, but then she smiled. It seemed a shame that things had turned out like this; but then again, had she ever really wanted to avoid it? Deception was a convenience - something temporary and ultimately unreliable. But a contest of a violence? That was just destiny. The outcome was bound to be determined like this sooner or later. Endymia brushed back long strands of her white hair and tried to restrain her giddy smile, but was unsuccessful.

Suddenly she whipped around of the corner of the cart, her gleaming halberd held outwards. It was a dangerous looking weapon - with two sharpened blades and a spear point at the end of its long haft. She faced the soldiers brazenly now. Her eyes met theirs for the first time. Large and opened wide, they seemed very focused.

"Fine then," she replied. "But know that you've just surrendered your last days of life to me." She hissed and bared her vicious, viperlike fangs at the goblinoids. Destiny was calling.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20-1)[11]

Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-08-08 at 06:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena's muscles tightened. It was time for action.

She moved swiftly and pounced on the nearest group of enemies, she wanted to create havoc.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolled an 18 for iniative.

Cervena will manifest psionic lion's charge and charge/pounce SL on AB 34

Kukri 1: +1 Bane Evil
    (1d20+18)[20] (1d4+11)[12]
    Kukri 2: +1
    (1d20+18)[25] (1d4+7)[9]

Kukri 1 second attack:
    (1d20+13)[15] (1d4+11)[13]

Cervena
    f NG Human Ranger 2/Ardent 5/SoK2, Level 9, Init 11, HP 66/66, Speed 40/ Levitate at will
    AC 24 (Currently 22) Touch 16, Flat-footed 22, Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 13, Base Attack Bonus 7/2, Power Points 39/43
    +1 Hunting / +1 kukri Old Kukris x2 +14 (+18 vs Evil, +22 vs Evil Arcanists) (1d4+7 (+11 vs Evil), 18-20 x2)
    A staff, any staff +12 (+16 vs Evil) ( , )
    Force Armor (+6 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect, +2 Natural, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8
    Condition None

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Realising what is about to happen and watching the others ready for combat, Vildyrámok grinned, his face splitting in an unnaturally large smile as for the first time he bared his sharp teeth. Power surged through him along with the adrenaline before battle as he began to convert raw arcane power into electrical power. It was all he could manage to suppress his glee at things going poorly and the chance to for him to let loose with his best spells, even better when the smouldering corpses will be evil creatures.

Show

Initiative: 18
    Rolled in Discord
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-08-08 at 09:51 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

They aren't going to believe us. The attempt was worth it, but rampant slaughter it is then.
    - Permission to speak, commander? - Evindal asked Tommasia and after a brief pause addressed the corporal. - It's a pity. Imagine the opportunity for promotion bringing us under your wing is going to open, - he sighed theatrically. - And to think we expected a warm welcome and shelter for the night comfier than this sorry cart. It's going to rain soon, you know.
    The elf turned his wrist in one sharp motion, pointing his index finger at Vildyrámok, and uttered a short incantation. A sudden jolt almost caused the hellbred mage to jump.

Show
    Evindal drops concentration on detect thoughts (no action required).
    Initiative roll: (1d20+8)[25].
    Immediate action right before the combat starts: nerveskitter (yes, the spell has this weird trigger specifically) on Vil, +5 to initiative.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Evindal Cairen
    Male grey elf beguiler 2 / wizard 3 / ultimate magus 4
    N Medium humanoid (elf)
    Init 8, Senses low-light vision, Listen 3, Spot 3
    HP 49/49 (9 HD), Speed 30 ft
    AC 22, Touch 16, Flat-footed 18 (+4 Dex, +6 armor, +2 deflection)
    Fort 8, Ref 10, Will 8, BAB 4, Grapple -2
    Melee dagger +2 (1d4-2/19-20)
    Ranged acidic splatter (Su) ranged touch +8 (4d6 acid) range 20 ft / hand crossbow +8 (1d4/19-20)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 24, Wis 8, Cha 12
    Spellcasting wizard CL 9th DC 17+, beguiler CL 10th DC 17+ (+1 CL [Acid], +1 DC Conj, +1 DC vs flat-footed)
    Conditions & effects greater mage armor, see invisibility
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-08-16 at 08:06 AM.
    My homebrew. Feel free to use!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cur removes the chain from his wrist and holds it out from his right hand as it grows into a fully sized and wickedly spiked chain. Once it reaches full length, he grasps it with both hands before him; mere moments later both his weapon and his body grow again. When the change is finally complete, in the place of the Cur that pulled the cart, is a monstrous metal girallon holding a massive length of sharp chain in all four hands.

He stands ready, waiting for the cue to attack.

Show

Initiative (1d20+3)[11]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Indeed...and bad luck for them, ain't it?" grinned Tommasia as drew out her greatsword and spat out what sounded like a vulgarity. But what language it was wasn't spoken around these parts...

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Initiative 4 *sighs*
    Swift action: Casting Karmic Aura (duration 8 rounds)

Spoiler: Spell notes
    Show

While this spell is in effect, any creature within range that deals damage to you with an attack, spell, or other effect becomes fatigued for 3 rounds. A successful Will save indicates that the attacker is unaffected and immune to the spell's effect until the start of your next turn, but must save again if he damages you after that point. An attacker already fatigued suffers no additional effect from this spell.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show

Tommasia Martine
    F N Human Hexblade, Level 9, Init 0, HP 92/92, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 20, Fort 15, Ref 10, Will 13, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
    2 handed, Sudden Stunning, Lesser Lifedrinking Crystal Greatsword +1 +12/+7 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2)
    MW Light Crossbow (60bolts) +10/+5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Crystal of Lesser Screening Mithral Breastplate +2 (+7 Armor, +2 Deflect, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Condition Arcane Resistance (+4 to spells/Spell like effects saves)

Mettle (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a hexblade can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping hexblade does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Endure Elements: 24/hr (from Evindal)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1

Initiative Player
    25 Evindal
    23 Vil
    18.5 Cervena
    11.5 Cur
    11 Endymia
    5 Bad Guys
    4 Tommasia

Everyone except Tommasia can act, then the bad guys, then we go into you all then bad guys.

Spoiler
    Show

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-08-16 at 03:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Evindal jumped out of the cart and darted across the road, retrieving a strip of pork rind from the pouch on his belt on the go, then stopped and spoke an arcane formula, pointing his index finger in the direction of the hobgoblins. As the rind dissolved into slick oily substance, the same substance, apparently, covered most of the ground the patrol was standing on.

Show
    Move action: move across the road.

Standard action: cast sculpted grease. 20-ft radius spread, centered on the top left corner of T2's square (this should get every visible hobgoblin except for T4), Reflex DC 20 (they're flat-footed) to avoid going prone, Balance DC 10 to move through the area at half speed (failure by 5 means the creature falls prone).

As he gets back his immediate action right at the end of is turn, he's going to use Abrupt Jaunt to teleport into some bushes if he's ever attacked.
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-08-16 at 03:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

ClericGirl

The enemy forces were slow to react, perhaps shocked by the sudden change in their approach. The petals, on the other hand, were quick on their feet. Evindal hurried across the street and conjured a large slippery area underneath the hobgoblins' feet. After delivering her threat, Endymia sprang into action, thinking to herself, 'Dragon Queen, grant me a savage victory...' She charged at the nearest soldier with surprising speed, her halberd lowered as if she was going to run him through. But at the last moment she feinted, and drew in close to him for a bite....

Her fangs sank deep into the soldier's neck, and with a semi-conscious effort she filled his throat with a deadly dose of venom - the man wriggling uncomfortably all the while. Then she jerked her teeth free and pushed him off. A chilling glee was evident on her face as she wiped the blood from her lips. "Does it sting?" she asked in a taunting voice.

Show

EDIT: This entire post technically never happened. I'll leave it up for posterity though.

Free Action: Activate Divine Might

Full-Round Action: Endymia will charge at TL/T3 (whichever is alive) and attack with her Poison fangs. (Power Attacking for 2). Her target is Flat-footed, receiving no Dex Bonus to AC. His current AC is reduced by 3 because of Tommasia's Dark Companion and Endymia's Debilitating Aura. It will potentially be lowered by another 4 if the target is prone from the grease. Since he's being attacked while balancing, he needs to make a Balance check (DC 10) to not fall prone if he isn't already.

Attack Roll: (1d20+12)[19]

Damage: (1d8+10)[14] (Bludgeoning, Slashing, and Piercing)

On a hit, the solider needs to make a DC 17 Fortitude save or he will take

(1d6)[6] Con Damage from Endymia's poison.

Con Damage lowers HP, meaning that this would effectively deal 3xHD additional damage.

Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-08-23 at 02:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

His grin going nowhere, Vildyrámok immediately began to prepare his spell. Pulling out a pinch of sulphur and a small pinch of ground amber from his component pouch and puling them into his left hand, he began to pull the arcane power into him, chanting the arcane words with an almost alien sounding overtone. Any casual observance from another arcane caster who knows the fireball spell would at the same time recognize it, and also find the changes to the spell highly unusual. Instead of forming a bead of super heated fire between his palms, a ball of bright white electricity formed. Small sparks and arcs of blue electricity spread up Vil's hands and arms as the spell power built up, only to crackle once more out of existence. Once he had a tiny sphere of compressed writhing white energy he focused his gaze at the exact same spot Evindal had cast his spell only seconds earlier - Vil internally noting it an excellent target location for their spells - and let it loose.
    The spell tracked a tiny bright while line of energy through the air and struck it's target. For half a second the air itself seemed to stop, and nothing happened, then the spell exploded out, a wall of heat and enormous arcs of bright white lightning striking and dancing across every object, tree and Hobgoblin unfortunate enough to be caught within the blast zone. The heat a near tangible wall to those outside of it's radius, before, just as quickly as it had exploded it ended.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Acting on Initiative: 23 (18+5 bonus from spell).

Standard action: Cast Energy Substituted (Electricity) Fireball at Caster level 11. 20-ft radius spread, centered on the top left corner of T2's square (same area as Ilerien's grease spell),10D6 damage, Reflex DC 20 (they're flat-footed) for half base damage. +3 damage from Warmage Edge.

Hobs hit: A4, A3, SL, T1, T2, T3, TL

Move action: Stepping back down one square to use the wagon as cover.

"The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze."
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2023-08-16 at 03:49 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena moved like the wind, coming from the trees with speed and aiming for the archers.

Show
    Swift: Manifest Hustle
    Hustle: Move to the spot where my token and levitate over the grease.
    Fullround. Full attack SL

Kukri 1 +1 Hunting
    (1d20+18)[34] damage (1d4+15)[17]
    Kukri 2 +1
    (1d20+18)[22] damage (1d4+11)[13]

Kukri 1 second attack
    (1d20+13)[28] damage (1d4+15)[16]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Like some monstrous statue come to life, Cur strides forward, his heavy feet leaving impressions in the dirt. His chain whirls to life, whipping about and slashing at the air around him as he closes with a hobgoblin inside the edge of the electrified grease.

He makes no sound beyond the susurrus of his steel body as he lashes out with the chain.

Show

Move to AH35

Attacking T3
    To Hit: (1d20+19)[34]
    (base attack without any modifiers included for Prone or other statuses)
    To Hurt: (1d8+28)[31]
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2023-08-18 at 11:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It was over in the span of 6 seconds, 1 breath, a few heart beats, and it was over.

Evindal covered the aggressive patrol in grease in what would be an overly dramatic fashion, as Vil cast a ball of lighting that erupted between all the hobgoblins within, their gear, armor, and any small pieces of metal fusing together, melting, rivets from armor melted through and into their skin, bolts danced in their eyes, and boiled their brains. The screams coming from all of them and the sudden barrage of carnage shocked the squad leader into speechlessness.

Which was cut short by the slashing blades of Cervena, who loped up to the hobgoblin, and butchered the man like a piece of cattle, his last moments were wandering why his suddenly felt warm liquid from his chest as he lay down slowly, his squad dead, his life draining, but why, what had it all been for?

The remaining soldiers stumble out, eyes wide open, shocked, one had soiled himself, his weapons and what he was holding all but forgotten. They both vomit, one after the other.

Spoiler
    Show

Shock of war checks
    Will save DC 24 or be shaken for 1 minute
    Fort save DC 24 or become nauseated for 1 minute
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-08-22 at 09:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

As the dust, steam and smoke begins to clean, Vildyrámok peers around the wagon, reading another spell, only to see that all the Hobgoblins are either dead or have surrendered.
    He lets out a small prayer to Thor under his breath and then allows his body to relax, not having noticed how tense his first combat in years had made him feel. The grin he had on his face earlier faded, to be replaced with some guilt over the bloodshed, and the after effects of the adrenaline surge. He began a small involuntary shiver as his blood pressure dropped a little.

Stepping forward to survey the grim scene the steam and smoke from the charred and still sizzling corpses washed over him. The smell making him gag, his stomach turning over for a moment.
    The holy Lightning of Thor, and unending war against the forces of evil might be his trade, but the smell of freshly burned flesh was still something he had never fully come to grips with.
    For a minute he worked to gather hit wits and stomach, while focusing on the rapid beat of his heart as it gradually slowed.

As the seconds ticked by and his reason overwhelmed his emotions and the adrenaline he began to calm down once more, steeling himself for what was yet to come.

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Grunting with disgust, Cur turns away from the burnt corpses. "That- that was excessive. Effective, but excessive." Shaking his head, he secures his chain around a wrist once more as he returns to his original size and shape.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Though Evindal disliked violence in general, he's aware sometimes it's unavoidable. He participated in enough fights, including ones that had destructive magic involved, to know full well what people burned alive looked and sounded like and to be able to lock up that little boy screaming in horror somewhere deep inside. This was even mercifully quick, as someone burned by his own weapon of choice, so to speak, generally suffered longer. What he wasn't able to insulate against was the stench of burned meat reaching him a moment later. It happened so fast, he breathed in before realizing his mistake and immediately covered his mouth with both hands trying not to empty his stomach and turned towards to bushes in case he failed.

Show
    Will save: 26 (rolled in discord).
    Fort save: 12 (ditto).
    Last edited by Ilerien; 2023-08-23 at 02:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena had seen too many violent battles. That's why she lives so far away and so secluded. But war is like this. She turns around to face the two remaining hobgoblins and tells them in a low but clearly imperative voice:

Drop your weapons and lie flat in the ground with both hands stretched out. We need to ask you some questions.

She then sends a quick glance to her sister, surely the evil seed is relishing this bloodbath. There was the essential difference between them: Endymia was bloodthirsty like father.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tommasia felt her stomach churn at the slaughterhouse and took some breaths to try and steady herself after she spat out some escaping bile. This was very much NOT a subtle turn of events.

Still, as Cervena questioned the two remaining shell-shocked soldiers, she mentally sent Jinx over to stand between the two hapless hobs. The panther easily walked through the greasy carnage as if without a care in the world.

"...gonna need to move these corpses away from the road..." the mercenary managed to croak out, stamping out what she spat out all the while.

24. - Top - End - #84

ClericGirl

"Good work," Endymia said, directing her compliment towards Vildyrámok with an impressed nod. The paladin snuffed at the smell of burnt flesh, but she wasn't affected by it. Fire and lightning were common tools of battle. This was admittedly a bit extreme, but she had inflicted more gruesome wounds in the past. She kicked over a body and confirmed its death as she approached the remaining soldiers, halberd in hand. Inside, her heart was thumping from the adrenaline of the split second battle. A dull thumping behind her temples had her set on edge. She was about to raise her weapon when she caught Cervena's fierce look of defiance. It took Endymia a moment to realize what it meant: 'I'm not letting you kill these men.'

The evil woman's expression turned to annoyance, bordering on anger. "Oh you can't be serious. I had misjudged you..." She squeezed the bridge of her nose with two fingers, working through the difficulty. She continued in a fairly reasonable voice, though with a touch of accusation. "Ask yourself this: What is worse for our mission right now? A few more bodies in that pile?- Or two walking, talking, liabilities?"
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-08-23 at 02:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Returning them to their base could work in our favor. We defended ourselves from their unjust attack. Tried to keep them alive. We are compassionate, enduring, and," he gestures behind him, at the carnage, "too dangerous to pick a fight with."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The air crackled with tension as the surviving hobgoblins stood there, battle-shocked and weaponless. Their eyes darted from the still-smoldering ground where their companions had met their fiery end to the party that had emerged from the onslaught unscathed.

Hands trembling, the hobgoblins let what weapons they still had fall to the ground with a clatter. They exchanged a quick, uncertain glance, their camaraderie shattered by the unexpected devastation they had just witnessed. The once-confident soldiers now stood before a group that seemed to defy the natural order, their resolve visibly shaken.

The party's instruction continued, clear and authoritative. "Lie flat on the ground with both hands stretched out." The hobgoblins complied, their battle-hardened instincts temporarily overridden by the overwhelming force they had encountered. The ground, still warm from the lightning's touch, accepted their surrender.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

As the hobgoblins obbeyed her instructions, Cervena walked towards Endymia and spoke almost imperceptibly to her ear

Compromise our mission? That's rich on you and that slaughterhouse of a wizard! This was a simple assassination no-fuzz, no fanfare, and you waltzed in a cart looking like a circus and slaughtered a platoon. Nah, we keep these alive, and we stop talking about the mission for everyone to hear. You don't even know if anyone is watching.

28. - Top - End - #88

ClericGirl

"Listen to yourself now. You're the one who's leaking information!" Endymia shot back in a whispered voice. This was clearly turning into another sisterly dispute. "Your insults aside, we tried to leave them be. They attacked us. How do you intend to let them live after this little encounter? Are you going to put them in chains and watch over them night and day? Ridiculous. Don't tell me that's your idea of kindness." The white-haired woman scoffed. "Realistically, I can't let them leave here. At least, not with their tongues and fingers intact."
    Last edited by Olive_Sophia; 2023-08-23 at 09:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Vil had begun to drag the smoldering remains of the corpses off the side of the road, so far only barely managing a single one with some effort, not being a physical sort. He had been listening to the fight between these... 'sisters'? He wasn't sure of their relationship but they seemed to greatly dislike each other either way. He decided to speak up as the situation required a quick resolve.

"Firstly, I am against slaughtering them in cold blood. Carnage of battle is perfectly fine if the situation arises as it did. But they surrendered and are our prisoners. That said we can neither keep prisoners on this mission, nor can we allow them to leave. Even cutting out tongues and other horrid ideas might prove ineffective vs magical means to extract information. We cannot even fully trust to leaving corpses behind if the enemy possesses the means to raise or speak to the dead. So one way or another they have to die, even though they did surrender and have been complying. We should clean up and leave here quickly I think. " He said while catching his breath from the effort of trying to drag a dead body.
    He paused thinking for a moment. "Thor says that surrender in battle is a cowardly act, but these are evil Hobgolins, so hardly going to behave honorably at any rate. What about a duel? The two prisoners fight Endymia and Cervena to the death. No magic, just the clash of steel. If they win, the rest of us will let them walk. If they lose, well the gods have decided their fate. What do you think? At least we wouldn't be killing them in cold blood, heck they even have a chance at survival here, and I have a feeling the fight should be quick and not draw any more attention. Either that or we just accept we have to do what is practical and necessary, and unfortunately take them out right now. " From a practical standpoint Vildyrámok knew they couldn't let them go. Searching for an answer to the problem at hand.

He started walking toward another corpse with the intention of dragging it to the side of the road as well.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Cervena never ceased to be amazed by her sister rationalization of violence. And now, after basically laying out the whole mission she dared accusing her of leaking information when she basically whispered in her ear.

Never change Endymia

But then there was the suggestion of a duel.

You want a show? Go to the arena. We got.... I got work to do.

She moved toward one of the hobgoblins and grabbed him by the collar to drag him out of the road.

Let's have a talk.

How many of you are there in the camp?
    What are the perimeter defenses.