New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

This is the 24th edition of the Order of the Stick Trivia thread.
    How does the Order of the Stick Trivia thread have a 24th edition?

Here are the rules for any newcomers:

Quote Originally Posted by rules
    Quiz originally started by Hilbert,
    Rules originally drafted by Forbiddenwar, and extended by various contributors.

1. The first player to answer a question correctly, asks the next one.
    2. If that player doesn't have a question immediately in mind, then state "Open Question" ("OQ") and let someone else ask.
    3. Questions have to have an answer that is demonstrated by at least one, and no more than three, canon online strips. (No bonus material, either online or in the books.)
    4. No counting questions with more than 3 parts. For example, "How many times has Roy said 'the'?" violates this rule.
    5. If the answer given is not the answer expected, but still technically answers the question, allow it. You can rephrase and ask your question again later.
    6. There's a difference between rephrasing—finding a different, more precise way to word the question so it has a smaller number of possible answers—and just simply rewriting to rule out the last answer. Don't do the latter. (If you are unsure, just ask.)
    7. If an answer is given that in no way is correct, then players can call attention to the fact. At that point, there may be 2 questions occurring at the same time. The 1st question that was incorrectly answered is the valid question. The second question may be answered, but for no prize (aka asking the next question).
    8. If your response is ninja'd, that is if someone beats you with the correct answer, please edit your post stating, "ninja'd, please answer above question".
    9. After 24 hours without an answer, please provide a hint. After an additional 24 hours pass, please provide the answer and take pride that you have stumped us all. If you won't be around to provide a hint (hiking Mt. Everest or doing some other activity without internet), rot-13 is a good way to hide your hint so you can post it in advance.
    10. Recognize that this is a game. It is supposed to be quick and fun. If a question seems to go beyond the rules, assume that the author is not familiar with the rules, and point them out. If the author affirms that the question is allowable within the rules, then continue with the game. If the question turns out to be not allowable, it becomes an open question. Groan and move on.
    11. Questions along the lines of "when was the first time X happened/was mentioned" are not allowed because to prove that they never happened before, one would have to link to every strip before it, which is unreasonable and would break the no-more-than-three-strips rule. They are permitted if the answer is in the first three strips, however.

We are starting this edition an open question. Feel free to post one of your own.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2023-06-01 at 09:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    We are starting this edition an open question. Feel free to post one of your own.
    Okay, I'll bite:

Find me two situations where the name Greg appears.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Okay, I'll bite:

Find me two situations where the name Greg appears.
    An alternative name for Vampire!Durkon, and a cheeky reference to a certain initiative.

OQ for now-- if you have something ready, take it; I'll look for something in the meantime.

Who's a centaur? (More accurately, this person literally says "I'm a centaur!")
    Last edited by Ruck; 2023-06-01 at 11:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    An alternative name for Vampire!Durkon, and a cheeky reference to a certain initiative.

OQ for now-- if you have something ready, take it; I'll look for something in the meantime.

Who's a centaur? (More accurately, this person literally says "I'm a centaur!")
    Sick Belkar. OQ.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Something easy: Who's called a nitpicker by their colleague?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Show me a non-cleric trying to use cleric class abilities.
    Edit: whoops. Go with Tzardok's first.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-06-02 at 05:06 AM.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tzardok: Purple IFCC member in #634 3rd panel. (I don't have to know their names and alignments because it's hard or impossible to match them without a print-only bonus strip.) ZhonLord can ask a question.

ZhonLord: I was thinking of Thanh turning undead in #514 7th, but on reflection I don't have proof that Thanh isn't multiclassed to Cleric. The actual answer is Kudzu in #1107 6th panel. OQ.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-06-02 at 06:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Right strip, but the correct answer is the yellow one.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What do law-abiding citizens do?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What do law-abiding citizens do?
    Turn themselves in
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    I may be in error, but I believe the appropriate proclamation is : "I'm on an adventure!" Bitch!
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-06-02 at 07:01 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

What are three games that explicitly involve throwing?
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

13. - Top - End - #13

14. - Top - End - #14

Find me an electrical cable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Find me an electrical cable.
    Here're four! (Always cut the red one, right?)
    Edit: Well, five if we also count the curly black one.
    Edited Edit: The three are technically six, for a total of eight!

Who got hit in the face with a rope?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-06-03 at 07:23 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Here're four! (Always cut the red one, right?)
    Edit: Well, five if we also count the curly black one.

Who got hit in the face with a rope?
    Felt like that's something that should've happened on the Mechane, but if it did - I didn't find it.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Hint:
    Felt like that's something that should've happened on the Mechane, but if it did - I didn't find it.
    You may have given up too easily.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-06-03 at 07:24 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

You may have given up too easily.
    Feels like I've been through every Mechane strip twice and panel 3 here is as close as it gets. Which, is not particularly close.
    I predict that Belkar will not die evil.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    Feels like I've been through every Mechane strip twice and panel 3 here is as close as it gets. Which, is not particularly close.
    I didn't even register that as something happening to Elan's face. Is that it?

My judgments and medals!

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

As I said, it's the closest I could find. At best you could argue that Elan gets squeezed between the mountainside and the rope. Was just throwing it out there in case Torath considered it the answer.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

As I said, it's the closest I could find. At best you could argue that Elan gets squeezed between the mountainside and the rope. Was just throwing it out there in case Torath considered it the answer.
    Yeah, sorry, "is that it" was directed at Lord Torath.

My judgments and medals!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Find me a speech balloon whose border is thicker than those of the usual speech balloons.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-06-05 at 07:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Find me a speech balloon whose border is thicker than those of the usual speech balloons.
    thog's balloons always thicker edge.

But if you want something less common...

Stop!

OQ.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGuy

And because third time's the charm, I GOT A 4!!!

Who tried to warn someone else about the dangers of name choices?
    ~Robin McKinley

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Who tried to warn someone else about the dangers of name choices?
    Appendix Steve. Didn't do much good for Brainy Pete.

26. - Top - End - #26

If half-elves have one pointy ear, do half-orcs have only one tusk/fang? Either way, find me that person.

Broken ones don't count.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

If half-elves have one pointy ear, do half-orcs have only one tusk/fang? Either way, find me that person.
    Therkla is a half-orc who has tusks only on the bottom. This is tricky because when an orc's mouth is closed you can only see the bottom tusks anyway, so you have to look at panels with the mouth open. Some orcs in #522 appear to have only one tusk, the bottom one closer to the camera, but it's always hard to be sure if they really don't have the other lower tusk or if it's just not visible to the camera. Perhaps you could tell from the printed books, but we can't use those as evidence in the trivia threads per their rules. In any case, they're not half-orcs so they're not the answer. The orc bodyguard with orange boot also seems to have only one lower tusk in #998 1st, but that too is probably just in this view. Although she appears a few more times, this is the only time we see her mouth: funnily in #999 29th she appears with a round mouth that obscures her tusks completely. If she were the answer then OQ. I know most of this because I asked something similar in the trivia thread.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I overslept yesterday, and then spaced that I had an ongoing question. That was, indeed, my intended answer.
    I interpreted that as him getting flung into the rope by the bump/turn, and didn't even see the "hit by part of the mountain" interpretation.

I... guess we're waiting verification of Mungu's tusk being the answer to Peelee's question?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-06-05 at 11:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    That is correct.

Sorry, I overslept yesterday, and then spaced that I had an ongoing question. That was, indeed, my intended answer.
    I interpreted that as him getting flung into the rope by the bump/turn, and didn't even see the "hit by part of the mountain" interpretation.
    Yeah, that's the same rope hed been on snd you can see thr mountain shard he scrapes against, along with debris that gets knocked off.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-06-05 at 11:38 AM.