New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Find me a depiction of a Gate made from beige crystal.
    Does it have to be a real Gate (with a real Astral Deva)?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's the one I was thinking of!
    Last edited by Goosefarble; 2023-07-26 at 10:25 AM.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    This roach wants to turn Belkar into a side dish for the hungry earth!
    Is the roach saying it thinks the ground is hungry? No. Wanting to bury someone in the ground is not the same as saying you think the ground is hungry. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Who thinks the ground has an appetite?
    Hint: The character saying the ground is hungry is definitely not a triplet. And yes, there are not, to my knowledge, any confirmed triplets in the comic, which doesn't officially narrow it down much. But I'm pretty sure you can figure it out.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Hint: The character saying the ground is hungry is definitely not a triplet. And yes, I am evil and edited the white text and this is no longer a true quote.
    This then? But I don't quite feel any hunger here...

(OQ if correct)
    Last edited by enq; 2023-07-26 at 03:25 PM.
    I predict that Belkar will not die evil.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    This then? But I don't quite feel any hunger here...

(OQ if correct)
    Nope. In the right 'family', though.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-07-26 at 04:26 PM.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Nope. In the right 'family', though.
    "The ground will HUNGRILY lap up the spilled blood of the righteous this day!"

Find me two instances of two entities saying/shouting the same 3-letter word as each other, in the same panel.

The word itself does not have to be the same between the two pages, just the act of saying/shouting a 3-letter word together. And the word in question is all that's being said in each of their dialogue bubbles.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

7. - Top - End - #487

BardGuy

First page, last panel, should be one. I was sure I should be looking for the word yes though. In fact, I can't shake the thought that there is a strip where Elan and Haley shout that together.
    Last edited by enq; 2023-07-27 at 01:07 AM.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Here is the second occurrence (fourth panel). OQ is up for grabs.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

9. - Top - End - #489

BardGuy

Find me three strips in which someone talks about the big picture, using those exact two words, but not case sensitive.

Spoiler: First hint
    Show
    There are three more (other than Redcloak), each of them spoken by a skilled warrior.
    The first one commits evil on a large scale.
    The second one had, as of their most recent reading, committed very few truly evil acts.
    The third one... is about to cross that line.
    Last edited by enq; 2023-07-27 at 11:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490

Find me three strips in which someone talks about the big picture, using those exact two words, but not case sensitive.
    One would be where we learn that not everyone sees it, despite the size.

11. - Top - End - #491

BardGuy

So proud of the hint I thought of that I posted it early. Enjoy.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Is the roach saying it thinks the ground is hungry? No. Wanting to bury someone in the ground is not the same as saying you think the ground is hungry. So...
    I still maintain that the roach saying "Now who's the side dish, halfling?" implies that the ground is pretty hungry
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

13. - Top - End - #493

ClericGuy

Show
    There are three more (other than Redcloak), each of them spoken by a skilled warrior.
    The first one commits evil on a large scale.
    The second one had, as of their most recent reading, committed very few truly evil acts.
    The third one... is about to cross that line.
    Second is "I don't think you're looking at the whole picture." whoops, missed the "exact words" part. Finding a replacement.

Third is "I know you don't see the Big Picture here."

Show me two instances where a change in size didn't actually come with other changes.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-07-27 at 12:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Finding a replacement.
    There's no need.

Your question:

[s]how me two instances where a change in size didn't actually come with other changes
    stands.

EDIT: Also, this should technically qualify as an answer, given that the Belkster expected some beneficial changes as well. (Not to mention that it looks like something you'd do.)

Also also, how about short legs for the other?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-07-27 at 12:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495

ClericGuy

this should technically qualify as an answer, given that the Belkster expected some beneficial changes as well. (Not to mention that it looks like something you'd do.)

Also also, how about short legs for the other?
    You are correct on the short legs, but the dagger change reduces Belkar's damage output which I would argue is a big deal - especially with the halfling himself taking issue with it.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

the dagger change reduces Belkar's damage output
    Does anything in the comic indicate this?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

17. - Top - End - #497

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Does anything in the comic indicate this?
    3rd edition daggers are d4 damage. 2nd edition they were d6. The weapon shrinkage is a direct reference to the change in die size to go with it.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-07-27 at 01:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

3rd edition daggers are d4 damage. 2nd edition they were d6. The weapon shrinkage is a direct reference to the change in die size to go with it.
    Uhm, they were converted from 3.0 to 3.5 in that comic. The shrinkage is a reference to the fact that in 3.0 weapons for player characters all had their sizes indiependent of the character's size (so for example a longsword would be one-handed for medium characters, but two-handed for small ones, while a shortsword would be a light weapon for a medium character and a one-handed one for a small character), while in 3.5 each weapon comes in multiple sizes fitted for different-sized characters, so that a longsword for a medium and a longsword for a small character would both be one-handed.
    As part of that, Belkar's daggers shrink from "dagger" (1d4 base damage) to "small dagger" (1d3 base damage).

19. - Top - End - #499

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Uhm, they were converted from 3.0 to 3.5 in that comic. The shrinkage is a reference to the fact that in 3.0 weapons for player characters all had their sizes indiependent of the character's size (so for example a longsword would be one-handed for medium characters, but two-handed for small ones, while a shortsword would be a light weapon for a medium character and a one-handed one for a small character), while in 3.5 each weapon comes in multiple sizes fitted for different-sized characters, so that a longsword for a medium and a longsword for a small character would both be one-handed.
    As part of that, Belkar's daggers shrink from "dagger" (1d4 base damage) to "small dagger" (1d3 base damage).
    Fine, it can qualify. My intended second answer was "[Fenrir] made the green ones Medium for some reason, as if that changes anything."

Open question.
    ~Robin McKinley

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    And all that aside, I asked if there was anything in the comic indicating such.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

21. - Top - End - #501

You are correct on the short legs, but the dagger change reduces Belkar's damage output which I would argue is a big deal - especially with the halfling himself taking issue with it.
    (If I may present my (now officially moot) reasoning, I was, so to say, exploiting a little loophole in the formulation of the question: you asked for size changes that didn't come with other changes; I figured that since it wasn't spelled out, I may as well take it that the changes (the one that happens and the one that doesn't) need not follow from each other as such, so if Belkar has reason to expect that the conversion gives him some boost independent of his weapon's size, but all he gets is weapon shrinkage, the former not happening is an expected change that did not occur and therefore qualifies. Yes, I'm Evil.)

Only indirectly.
    1. All other changes depicted or mentioned track to actual 3.0 to 3.5 transitions and therefore it stands to reason that the weapon shrinkage is also representing the above described actual change; and
    2. even in DCF, we are shown that there is a correlation between weapon size and damage potential, as is normal for D&D outside the Stickverse.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-07-27 at 01:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502

ClericGuy

No. I did not have any evidence to that effect inside the comic itself.

(If I may present my (now officially moot) reasoning, I was, so to say, exploiting a little loophole in the formulation of the question.... and therefore qualifies. Yes, I'm Evil.)
    I thought you prided yourself on being able to find the right answer even when everyone else is stumped. Not on exploiting loopholes.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-07-27 at 02:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503

I thought you prided yourself on being able to find the right answer even when everyone else is stumped. Not on exploiting loopholes.
    I study at the feet of the master, good Lord Zhon! One needs to vary one's gimmicks once in a while.

24. - Top - End - #504

BardGuy

One needs to vary one's gimmicks once in a while.
    Hot damn. If we weren't going for 25 next, I might nominate this for a thread title.

Also, is it OQ or are we still arguing whether it's the size or how you use it?

Seems it's OQ. Find me two strips in which Belkar says Haley does a particular thing and a third strip in which she does this particular thing.

Show
    One wonders how it's possible for her to have that much spare time.
    Last edited by enq; 2023-07-28 at 01:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

In 2E, Daggers did 1d4 vs Small and Man-sized targets and 1d3 vs Larger than man-sized. Shortswords did 1d6/1d8.

Back to enq's question:
    Find me two strips in which Belkar says Haley does a particular thing and a third strip in which she does this particular thing.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-07-27 at 07:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506

I have a feeling that it has to do with, khm, a really kinda creepy habit, but I only have one example of it, off the top of my petaled upper bits.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a feeling that it has to do with, khm, a really kinda creepy habit, but I only have one example of it, off the top of my petaled upper bits.
    Note - the question asks for two instances of Belkar saying she polishes it, and only one of her doing it.

Who wants to capture some breakfast cereal, allegedly?

24 hour hint - it's a paranoid delusion of a red-headed person.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2023-07-29 at 02:04 PM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

28. - Top - End - #508

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    24 hour hint - it's a paranoid delusion of a red-headed person.
    Well, this has to be Haley or Ian.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it? Are you sure there aren't any other paranoid redheads in the story?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Does it? Are you sure there aren't any other paranoid redheads in the story?
    This question and line of conversation has me wondering if there's a redheaded Lucky Charms leprechaun, or Trix rabbit...