New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    bc56: #117 9th panel, Xykon addressing the MitD directly. Haley also mentions a gate in #109 when the MitD can hear, but she isn't talking to the MitD.
    I'll take it, but I was thinking of the spell
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XXIV: What do I need a twenty for, anyway?

What's always a nice perk?

Spoiler: First hint
    Show
    According to Belkar, who said so right after electing not to enjoy the perk.
    Last edited by enq; 2023-08-08 at 10:12 AM.
    I predict that Belkar will not die evil.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enq View Post
    What's always a nice perk?
    Murder.

Find me an item that can definitely fix my thin or patchy eyelashes.

Spoiler: Hint
    Show
    The item in question is used by an adventuring party currently of the "sausage" variety.
    Last edited by Madwaltz; 2023-08-09 at 08:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574

BardGuy

Ah, the Keoghtum.

Find me a word that consists of six or more consecutive consonants, without having identical characters next to each other. Vowels are allowed as long as they don't break the chain of six. fffggg is not okay but fgfgfg is; fgfagfg is not okay but afgfgfg is. The word doesn't have to be a "real" word that you'd find in a dictionary; if the comic uses it somewhere, it counts.

Typically editing my trivia questions to add hints approximately 12, 24 and 36 hours after posting them.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Pixie in the Playground

Find me a word that consists of six or more consecutive consonants, without having identical characters next to each other. Vowels are allowed as long as they don't break the chain of six. fffggg is not okay but fgfgfg is; fgfagfg is not okay but afgfgfg is. The word doesn't have to be a "real" word that you'd find in a dictionary; if the comic uses it somewhere, it counts.
    Qlrktk. I totally lucked into getting this one; I just had a gut feeling it was a more recent strip because I felt like the sound effects have gotten more creative and specific in more recent strips, and found it immediately.

OQ

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

What has to be taken like an adult in the stick verse, similar to medicine in real life?
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

7. - Top - End - #577

BardGuy

Character development.

Durkon has his own pronunciations. Find him pronouncing the word "more" differently.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

enq: Interesting question. I was thinking of #31 1st first, but the word used there has vowels.

But I recall from when I was spellchecking the other transcript (prompted by a previous trivia question in fact), I saw that there were lots of nonce words with repeated letters, sometimes from sound effects, sometimes when a character screams in pain. Sure, mostly they repeat vowels, and mostly they repeat just one letter, but not always, so perhaps there's another solution to your question. Since Madwaltz has found a solution already, I don't feel bad for cheating. And indeed, it turns out that there are a lot more solutions.

The first impressive batch comes from Haley's garbled speech. Right from her first garbled words: #247 4th “Mnbrvcnp!”, 5th “tru'm epdfpjp […] snprzfu' mnbrcvnp”, 6th “r yfvwcvmfuw rtfy-enprmqfuw”, 12th “Yrnu vmnrfwqm”. #248 3rd “wkssu-emksnrsb”, 6th “emdghmnu”. #262 3rd “Flfvcdq-kzfgcej gpsir”. Then in azure city, #264 1st “Rmtdwx!”. #269 2nd “Arwcrxcon!”. #284 6th “vx jpbsxf […] skxlwq ktau huuf”, 11th “clbwvd” then “skxlwq ktau huuf t clbwvd aupqbev” then repeating once more “qlu vx vku ebpelnsvtfeus, hlv bv skxlwq ktau svbww huuf t clbwvd aupqbev”. #296 3rd “Fgxwhlg”. Later when dining with Elan, #309 9th Haley says “enlchcdf”, and in desperation even admits “N lkyhc hc bdrnchnfy”, and then in 11th that interrupted line that the forum has been speculating a lot: “N uhv wdc ay yqhlcrv”. #330 “vw bhzrmf b ejwhqrxm”. In Cliffport, #340 2nd “qtmx qxyklkbe”. #361 5th “Gnit ohgnsmhme ni riwkgsoa”. Finally the grand finale when Elan and Thog save Haley from Nale, #393 13th “Euugd Lcclnwpql”, then 21st “Ufam vwxfpryw” (funny because it means “damn straight”, which already has too many consonants, and because Haley said the same phrase in #247), 25th “gpvwlmpnr” (a nine consonant sequence!), 27th “ilgplql” (also a repeat word from #247 5th).

The remaining ones are mostly sound effects. Oddly, the Giant only seems to have started usnig them in later books, so none of them seem to precede Haley's words. I won't list all of them, just a subjective selection. The first ones are #427 11th giant spears impaling goblins go “schrkt!”. There's Vaarsuvius's muffled spellcasting in #638 10th “Shhpshnsh”. You do allow that one for the last six or seven letters, right? Your question wasn't entirely clear. #798 2nd arrow in Thog's knee “skrtcht”. #833 last, demon roach goes “SQLLCKQTH” – it's always the demon roaches. #851 5th, another arrow “SPLRTCH!”. #870 last has an eight-letter one when Malack vamps out: “SCKLTHNK!”. #900 3rd, um, I'm not sure what this sound effect represents, but it reads “wrrrrrrshtcht!”. #905 6th Haley suffocating “Kllrrghthckt” (try to pronounce this one!). #920 7th Roy killing a soldier “sckltcht”. #929 last Tarquin thrusting his sword through Elan “SHTHTHNK!”. #1010 8th Durkon breaking the wall of the temporary cathedral “KRNTCH”, which is perhaps the largest such word in font size. Also large font is #1026 1st zombie giant hitting the floor with a weapon “WMPFCH!”. #1043 2nd Belkar makes a funny sound when chopping up the airship “ZHNTCHA! ZHNTCHA!”. #1050 12th thrown rocks hitting the airship “THNKTRCH!”. #1117 extraplanar giraffes interacting with vampire magic make a funny “ZZSHTRCH!!” sound.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-08-10 at 09:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone (probably Elan) say "rhythm" at any point?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

10. - Top - End - #580
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Assuming you're talking about the 6 consonants in a row, Y is a vowel in that word.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, albeit misspelled.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, in #689 1st. Also "sylphs" multiple times, as well as "cryptkeeper", and "scryproof". I didn't count any of these because the "y" in those words is clearly a vowel. There are some borderline ones in Haley's encrypted speech where I'm not sure if the "y" is a vowel or not and just made a subjective decision, like "qxyklkbe" and "lduzrycyrv".

Update: oh yes, Ruck has a good point, #689 actually says "rythym". Funny misspelling. I assume most of these typos are fixed in the book version, but in this thread we only care about the online version of the strips.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-08-10 at 11:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583

ClericGuy

Character development.

Durkon has his own pronunciations. Find him pronouncing the word "more" differently.
    Does Durkula qualify in this regard, or is it strictly Durkon?
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

14. - Top - End - #584

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Does Durkula qualify in this regard, or is it strictly Durkon?
    I'll consider that a clever and valid interpretation of the rules, given that if he does it, it's in an attempt to imitate Durkon!

15. - Top - End - #585

ClericGuy

I'll consider that a clever and valid interpretation of the rules, given that if he does it, it's in an attempt to imitate Durkon!
    Then I'mma go with "not any MORE'N Belkar, I'd wager."

I've got questions ready if that qualifies.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-08-10 at 02:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Firbolg in the Playground

It shouldn't work. "'n" is really just short for than, and as such, no part of more which is spelled noemally.

17. - Top - End - #587

BardGuy

Yeah no, what Meta said.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

How about panel 6 here. (I figured the answer would be relatively early on in the comic when Durkon's accent was a little more fast and loose, so I just took this question as an opportunity to reread the first couple hundred pages...)

Anyway, OQ so feel free to ask your question Zhon. Well unless someone else takes the OQ first

19. - Top - End - #589

BardGuy

That's the one. Recent strip gimmick done, use same strip twice in short time span gimmick done. And ZhonLord couldn't see through the second one.

20. - Top - End - #590

ClericGuy

Ah well, se la vi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Anyway, OQ so feel free to ask your question Zhon. Well unless someone else takes the OQ first
    Which character explicitly likes/loves a non-conventional form of "dirty" talk?
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-08-10 at 06:22 PM.
    ~Robin McKinley

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

ZhonLord: Haley in #401 8th and 9th. We know Haley doesn't like the more conventional kind from #1050 3rd and 4th. OQ if that's right.

22. - Top - End - #592

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    ZhonLord: Haley in #401 8th and 9th. We know Haley doesn't like the more conventional kind from #1050 3rd and 4th. OQ if that's right.
    Nope, finding stolen clothes hot isn't the same as being a kind of dirty talk. Keep looking!

EDIT: Clarified that it has to be explicit.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-08-10 at 06:22 PM.
    ~Robin McKinley

23. - Top - End - #593
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ah well, se la vi.
    Sockray blue!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

San Farian.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

25. - Top - End - #595
    Pixie in the Playground

Which character explicitly likes/loves a non-conventional form of "dirty" talk?
    Belkar loves it when Roy talks fighting dirty.

OQ

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Find six weapons that Roy has wielded, other than the family greatsword.
    To count, it must be used in real combat and as designed (so improvised weapons and stabbing someone with an arrow both don't count).

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #597
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Find six weapons that Roy has wielded, other than the family greatsword.
    To count, it must be used in real combat and as designed (so improvised weapons and stabbing someone with an arrow both don't count).
    I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to find these:
    A pirate's cutlass.
    The high priest of Odin's spear.
    Haley's bow.
    Durkon's hammer.
    A coliseum greatsword.
    Roy's old club.

Some fun honorable mentions:
    Shadow Roy has a gun (but it's not used in combat, and I'm not sure if imaginary Roy would count anyway)
    Roy breaks Malack's staff and throws it a vampire's face (but this is definitely stretching what would be considered "combat")
    Roy is "wielding" a shuriken here (he doesn't actually throw or use it, but he is technically holding it in a real combat where the object was used )
    Roy flattens Belkar with a wooden sword (I think this one should probably count, but it is stretching the definitions of both "weapon" and "real combat")

OQ

28. - Top - End - #598

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Find six weapons that Roy has wielded, other than the family greatsword..
    Is this supposed to be possible within the limitations of the three strip rule?

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Is this supposed to be possible within the limitations of the three strip rule?
    Shoot I forgot that was a thing sorry.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #600

ClericGuy

Who or what knows where to find misplaced clothing?
    ~Robin McKinley