New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Clockwork Isekai Solo Advanture [IC]

Skarre ponders for a moment. He reaches down with one skeletal hand and retrieves the broom before heading back down his own abode. He places the broom on the table and sits in his most comfortable chair as he continues to think.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Intelligence check - (1d20+3)[6]
    Use Rope - (1d20+3)[23]
    Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+8)[19]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you study the broom and it's strange shroud of fabric and string, you quickly realize that this nearly destroyed obviously magical item is on its last legs, and that several truly awful attempts at using the scraps of fabric and string to try to repair it were made, over what looks like weeks, as some of the splinters have had time to abrade some of the strings enough to almost cut completely through with it's sporadic and short vibrational fits. So bad, in fact, you're pretty sure a five year old child with the collective IQ of a cup of mustard would have done better, simply by virtue of having opposable thumbs.

The broom itself doesn't seem all that special, outside of the fact that it occasionally spasms. The bristles have worn away at the bottom at a slight angle, typical of brooms that have seen truly heavy and long term use, as far as you can tell. Unlock modern nylon bristle brooms of modern earth, this seems to be more similar to the old brooms you'd see in ancient tv shows like Little Home on the Prairie, hand-crafted and bound with local materials. Though, the bristles seemed to have been bound to the handle with intricately knotted red threads that shimmer slightly on close inspection.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's still fairly impressive that the bird could know that something like this was even repairable."

Reaching out a skeletal hand, he gently grasped the wood and fitted the cracked portions together again. While doing this, he incite some of the most basic of magic to mend the pieces.

Show
    Casting: Mending

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a soft incantation, carried on a whisper of magic that shimmered in the air, the Mend spell takes hold of the broom. Thin threads of golden light wove themselves around the broom, delicate as spider silk, connecting the shattered pieces with an ethereal embrace.

As the spell worked its meager mending magic, the wooden fragments began to fuse together. The frayed bristles straightened and regained a hint of their former luster. The broom's lacquer renewed itself to a fresh shine, reflecting on Skarre's intent face. However, despite the mending, it was clear that the broom's restoration was incomplete. The cracks remained visible, like scars on its surface.

With a final surge of power, Skarre completed the spell. The broom now held together, its form partially restored, but it still bore the marks of its previous damage. The handle, though repaired, displayed a web of faint lines where the fractures had been. The bristles, while neater, had not regained the uniformity common in such items.

Once the spell had finished, the broom shuddered in Skarre's hands, emitting a series of faint, sporadic vibrations. Then, with a jolt that made Skarre draw back, the broom sprang to life. It levitated off the ground, hovering unsteadily in the air. Its movements pulsed erratically with jerky vibrations.

With a series of fits and starts, the broom began to... sweep the room. Its movements were jerky, as if it were trying to remember the graceful motions it once performed with ease. It wobbled as it circled around the suite, its bristles barely making contact with the floor before lifting off again. The broom's seeming determination to fulfill its purpose, even in its imperfect state, was a serene sight. It might not be the elegant and efficient cleaning companion that it once was, but it was at least doing its best.

Show

You've repaired the Broken condition of the broom, though it is still obviously damage, it seems in no danger of relapsing into complete brokenness.

To command the broom and stop it from doing whatever it is it seems to think it should be doing, will require a successful Use Magic Device check (Activate Blindly: DC 25) until it has been fully identified. Though it seems perfectly harmless in its efforts to clean the room, and could simply be left or observed if desired.

After you have finished doing whatever else you wish to do in or around the room, please roll a Spot check before resting for the evening.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Skarre studied the broom for another moment to determine how to deactivate it. As he did, the undead wondered if the shaking and rattling of this broom was the sounds that led the owner to believe the room was haunted.

Once the deactivation was complete, Skarre moved to the balcony to close the doors before sitting down at the comfortable chair.

Show
    UMD - (1d20+24)[44]
    Spot - (1d20+6)[17]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Deactivating the broom, it hobbles over with a few hops to lean against the wall, out of the way, its vibrations and jerking fits finally still.

Glancing around as he sits down in the comfortable chair, he locks eyes with the raven through the balcony window, once again standing on the roof across the town square. As they lock eyes, the raven spreads its wings slowly and inclines its neck to bow its head in...a bow? Straightening, the raven launches itself from the roof, its flight dipping below the rooftops and taking it out of Skarre's view.

Pondering on the curiosity, Skarre settles in to meditate and rest, checking over his still-new body and searching within himself to better understand his new abilities.

Show

XP Gained: 91
    Loot Gained: (Unidentified / Damaged) Magic Broom

If you are finished in the room, the innkeeper will be in the common room whenever you decide to set out in the morning. In which case, assuming you take the 8 hours required to refresh daily resources, update your sheet to be fully rested and prepared for the caravan.
    Last edited by beholderkin; 2023-08-28 at 08:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

After the meditation time required to fill his arcane power supply, Skarre stirred.

Standing in the center of the room, he called on the arcane power to bolster his own abilities before once again summoning the Shadow and ordering it to guard the room.

He left the broom in the room as well, intent on repairing it fully once the day of travel was completed. Closing and locking the door behind him, he headed downstairs, pausing at the counter. “I will be gone for a few days. There is no need to clean the room while I’m away.”

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaving his suite, and making his way down the stairs, Skarre once again notices the eerie quiet of the building that lacks any obvious guests or staff other than himself and the beleaguered innkeeper.

Trying badly to contain a wince at the news of his only guest leaving, the nervous man straightens and seems to brace himself as he asks, "Was your stay...adequate, sir?" It was obvious that this wasn't the question he really wanted to ask, but he seemed be resigned to hearing bad news. The man was hanging on the edge, having been professionally beaten down by the rumors of haunting draining the possibility of any business.

As the man stood straight-backed, awaiting the answer to his question, Skarre noted the dark bags under the man-#s eyes that speak of exhaustion, the quiver of the man's hands holding each other in a white-knuckled grip before him as he strained to keep up the mask of the professional business owner, and the flop sweat beading around the man's hairline. Yet, his spine was straight and his eyes steady, already prepared to receive bad news, and having already accepted it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"The room is definitely haunted... but I sleep like the dead." Skarre remarks. "I'll still keep the room for my extended stay and will resolve the haunting when I return from the caravan."

Skarre wasn't really lying, as the Shadow did technically haunt the room now, and would attack those that entered. He quietly wondered if he could turn the place into a business of his own if the poor man had a breakdown, or the business simply went under.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking immediately crestfallen at the mention of the haunting, his face going white, his expression changed to be more confused than anything when Skarre mentioned staying. Seeming to actually take in Skarre's appearance and realizing the joke, he forced a nervous but polite smile and nodded quickly. "Uh...very good, Sir. Please let me know if you need anything upon your return."

Taking his leave of the inn, Skarre makes his way onto the street, and sees several wagons lined up in front of the Adventurer's Guild branch building, tired-looking teamsters loading and securing crates, but not seemingly in a terrible hurry, indicating that departure wasn't immediately immanent.

The town square is peppered with early risers, most of the stalls open, or in the process of opening as the shopkeepers lay out their wares and set up their portable displays.

Show

I tend to only progress the scene to the point where obvious choices can be made. For example, this scene finished the conversation with the innkeeper and moved you outside where the options of shopping, talking to teamsters, or running any other in-town errands presents itself.

If at any time you decide to skip all other options and have decided to do something specific (such as, let the Guild know you're ready to depart and skip time to the caravan leaving), just let me know in your post, and I won't pause the scene to present other options unless plot-specific or otherwise important.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Skarre used the free time to enter one of the component shops and purchase the 100g of pearl he would need to properly identify the broom later.

Once that had been completed, he went back to the Guild Hall and let the receptionist know he was ready to depart.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

A very old woman that looked far more awake than most of the younger merchants beamed at him as he made his purchase at her stall, showing a few gaps where she'd lost teeth, but her smile was warm and genuine. Patting at his hand in a grandmotherly way when she hands him the pearl, he sees that her fingers are gnarled and shake slightly, covered in callouses from long years of work. "You adventuring folk always need these for your spells. I could sell nothing but these and we'd be alright. Thank you for your business, young man."

Wishing the kind woman a good day, Skarre quickly makes his way to the guild hall, finding a burly man geared for travel chatting idly with the receptionist, and three people in armor lounging around the various chairs, drinking coffee and nibbling on what looks like food they'd acquired from one of the nearby stalls he had passed, as the meat and vegetable skewers and fluffy rolls looked immediately familiar.

As the familiar receptionist spots Skarre, she smiles and waves him over. Gesturing between him and the burly man she'd been talking to, she introduces them. "Ah! Skarre, this is Captain Roland. Captain, this is your last guard for this trip, Adventurer Skarre."

Turning and grunting in greeting, Captain Roland nods and thrusts a thick meaty hand at Skarre for a hand-shake of greeting, "Good to meet you, lad. We'll be under way in the next thirty to forty minutes or so, if you need to pick anything up from the market before we go." Nodding towards the three armored people having breakfast, he continues, "Those three are the other guards this trip. Mirasta here tells me you'll be attempting to handle the bandit lord when we stop at Halfway Peak. We'll spend a full night and day there, trading with the dwarves. It'll be up to you whether you want to, or can, convince the others to assist you with that particular task. When we get underway, you'll position yourselves at the front, back, and to either side of the caravan to keep a lookout from all directions. We only travel for ten hours with a stop for lunch after five each day. That leaves two shifts for night watch for two guards at a time - that's for you to sort between yourselves. It's three days travel to Halfway Peak, and when we leave, it'll be another two and a half to Brookhaven where you'll be paid at the Guild branch there when the trip is done. Any questions?"

Mirasta the guild receptionist pipes up at that last part, smiling, "You can turn in your completed quests there for payment, so you don't have to come all the way back for payment. You can always turn in completed quests at any branch." She pats the odd crystal device on the counter that had originally produced and later manipulated his guild card. "They're all connected."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Skarre offered an armored hand in a handshake to the Captain. With a glance back at the other adventurers, he dismissed the need to lay out an evening watch rotation or getting their help, at least for the time being.

When the receptionist explains the quests can be collected at other places, he seems interested. "Interesting, can other messages and such also be sent through that network?"

Other than finding out exactly what else the guild system could do, he took a seat near the other adventurers as they all waited to depart, to better gage their abilities and reaction to him. "What is everyone's specialty here? It'll be important to know where we should be positioned when the caravan gets underway."
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-09-05 at 08:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shaking Skarre's hand with a firm grip, the Captain simply nods. Eying the meat skewers the three adventurers are having, he grunts. "I think I'll grab a hot breakfast before we head out as well. Damn trail rations taste like sawdust and week-old gristle," he mutters, before giving a half-salute wave and saunters out of the front door, nose held up, obviously intent on following the smell of whatever smells best coming from the nearby stalls to hunt for a quick meal.

Mirasta happily answer's Skarre's question. "It can sort of send messages. We feed it a guild report every day with the updates, and we get one back the next morning from headquarters in the capitol. But, we can't send anything directly to a branch - everything goes through headquarters via reports," she as she explains. Snorting, the Captain mutters something under his breath about 'bureaucracy running the whole damn world these days'.

The dwarf happily demolishing particularly large meat skewers - one in each small fist, answers through a mouth full of food, "I be on overwatch." Jerking his head to the side, he indicates a truly magnificent crossbow that resembles a compact ballista more than a proper handheld weapon propped against the wall behind him before elaborating, "Beh'er field o' view on the wagon." Groaning loudly, the elf rubs his eyes, palming his face as he complains, "Brundier, by all the gods, close your mouth when you chew! We've talked about this." Snorting, 'Brudier' replies, still chewing, "Nay, ye talked abou' it. I did nay listen."

Chuckling, the human man tearing bits from a pastry to pop into his mouth smirks and points to the elf, "Levi there is a Druid, and uses Nature Magic to turn into animals. Makes him a decent scout for jobs like this. I use Eldritch magic, either long range, or up close makes no difference to me. How about yourself? Levi and I both know a bit of magic and can fight up close, while Brundier and I can both handle ourselves at range. Brudier's bolts all have some wierd alchemical crap packed, though I don't know why he bothers. That beast of a crossbow damn near chucks short spears instead of bolts," he snorts. The dwarf is quick to defend himself, "ow 'ang on a bedamned minute, that be perfectly reason'ble! If'in I bother to shoo' at a bastard, I want the foo'ker to know I be meanin' it. It be from the heart, so it needs a bit 'o extra oomph, lad." Muttering something in his heavy accent that might be about jealousy at the size of a man's 'bolt', the dwarf waves a dismissive, grease-covered hand at the human as he goes back to picking what was left off his skewers.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"It seems we have a fairly balanced party then. My focus is defense in combat. I have a bit of magic that I use to enhance my armor and ability to shrug off damage, but melee is my preference." Skarre patted the pommel of the massive mace that was strapped to his back as emphasis.

"I hope my appearance and dealing with undead do not cause us to have any tensions." He glanced specifically at the druid, gathering the nature of their abilities might put them at odds with each other. "Me and mine can secure the watches at night so you may rest easy."

Depending on the response, Skarre would stand from his seat once more and move toward the boards to see if anything interesting had been posted since yesterday.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dwarf perks up at hearing he won't need to take a turn at watch and raises a hip flask he pulls from his belt, thumbing it open as he does so, "Aye! I'll be drinkin' ta that, lad! I dunna give a wee damn what ye be made of, so long as I no havin' to take watch doh'y." Swigging his flask, he smacks his greasey lips as the elf shudders and excuses himself, looking green at the dwarf's table manners as the dwarv himself cackles uproariously at the power-walking elf.

The human chuckles softly and waves dismissively towards the elf as he answers Skarre, "Don't mind him. He has a weak stomach and a thing for proper etiquette. Need to not be seen sicking up outweighs the need to finish a conversation, apparently." Smirking, he shrugs, "Most intelligent undead that sign on with the Adventurer's Guild are pretty decent. They don't advertise the fact, but that orb thing that issues and updates your guild card? It gives them some sort of heads up if you're a psychopath that tends to go around murdering and pillaging or whatever. Not sure how, but I was in Coldstone Keep when it happened with a vampire once. Sends out some sort of alert to the highest ranking guildies in the area, and...well...lets say those types of new recruits don't last long enough to turn in their first quest."

Waving a hand at the receptionist's counter where the orb being discussed was held, he chuckles, "So, basically if the orb didn't put a hit on you, it means you're not currently a murdering arsewipe, so no one cares what you look like or where you're from. Just don't get all naked and wander around chasing people, and if anyone gives you any weird looks just wave and say hi. Just being able to talk and not immediately attacking is nearly as good as flashing your guild card."

Hauling his compact bulk out of the chair, the dwarf wipes his mouth and beard off on an already somewhat greasy sleeve and picks up the truly impressive crossbow, slinging and securing it over his shoulder with the atached large leather strap. "Be 'bout time to be goh'in' lads. I'll go an 'old the knife-ear's hair for him, and meet ya at the wagon," he chortles.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeming quite pleased with the laid-back answer about how the others felt toward his own abilities, Skarre stood and headed toward the door when the dwarf announced it was time to depart. Once outside, he drew the massive bladed mace and took up a position close to the front of the caravan.

As they waited for everyone else to assemble, Skarre called upon the eldritch runes scribed into his bones to summon two more Shadows. He quickly instructed them to take cover under the first wagon, only to come out if he or the caravan were under attack.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the last of the goods were loaded and secured, the other adventurers took up positions on on the three wagons. The wagons were hitched to a pair of two heavy horses each, with extra horses tied with leads to either side. Surprisingly, all the horses are outfitted with barding in the form of sheets of chain in a smock-like variant of a chain shirt, and all seem well-tempered and not at all fidgety at all the nearby activity.

As the burly dwarf Brundier saunters over and starts to pull his bulk onto the center wagon, he pauses, peering at the underside of the lead wagon before locking gazes with Skarre and splitting his face in a wide grin. Throwing Skarre a wink and a nod, he scrambles up and pulls the giant crossbow from his back, going over the weapon in a readiness check even as he pulls out a cloth to wipe at the crevices lovingly.

The elf Levi, still looking a little green around the gills after having lost his breakfast, slowly makes his way over from behind the building, his body shivering slightly in what looks to be revulsion. Muttering darkly but surprisingly politely, he seems to shake it off and stretch. Doing a few light calisthenics and various stretching maneuvers, he shakes his hands out and leans back and spreads his arms. In moments, his body rippling like the surface of water being skipped with a stone, his form flows and shifts until a bird of prey of roughly the same size stands in the road in his place. Launching himself into the air with wings of a truly impressive wingspan, he quickly gains quite a bit of height, apparently catching the air currents and begins to glide on outstretched wings in wide lazy circles above.

"Oi, Maddox! Dun' ye be fallin' a'sleep back there!" Turning, Skarre sees the dwarf chiding the human, already seated atop the rear wagon, leaning back against the backrest with a floppy hat already tipped foward to shade his eyes, lounging. His only response was a raised middle finger, even as he settled deeper in his seat. "Bloody 'ells, ye lazy bugger, I swear ye be catchin' a knife one day whilst catching a damned nap. It may 'ven be mine, ye gobshyte!" Brundier muttered darkly, going back to preening over his crossbow. Maddox's only response was a smirk, barely seen from below his tipped hat.

Captain Roland came last of all as the porters finished up and began filing away. Picking at his teeth with a toothpick, he runs his eyes over the wagons with a practiced eye and nods in satisfaction. "Alright, you lot," he made eye contact with the driver of the center and rear wagons, "Lets make good time. We'll stop to have lunch and swap out the horses in six hours." Nodding towards the three adventurers not currently in the sky high above, he addresses them next as he climbs up to take the driver's seat of the lead wagon himself. "Any of you call for a halt, we halt. The horses will happily kick people's teeth in at my order, so we'll be staying in the wagons as you take care of any problems while the horses make the wagons as safe as is reasonable. But uh...avoid the horses if it comes to a fight. They do not discriminate."

Brining his fingers to his mouth, he lets out a piercing whistle and as one, the horses begin to pull the wagons. Quickly exiting the town, the caravan turns right, heading down the road towards the mountains, farmers and various village folk waving and calling out words of luck and friendly farewell.

Show

I'll be fast-forwarding between 2-4 hours into the future. Feel free to chat with the NPCs if desired. When finished:
    • Make a Listen check.
    • Make three Spot checks.
    • Make a Knowledge (Nature) check.
    • Make a Knowledge (Engineering) check.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Skarre kept quiet for the most part. He didn't have any real need for information and wasn't interested in joining the other adventurer's party. Splitting xp slowed progression and forced you to take more dangerous missions, both things he wanted to avoid at the moment.

Instead, he busied himself with planning. Plans on what he'd do to complete the quests he had, and what the next batch of quests should be. Getting to another city was a bonus, it would allow him to teleport there to pick up new quests while keeping a base of operation in the smaller town.

Show

Listen: (1d20+2)[8]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[21](1d20+6)[16](1d20+6)[10]
    Knowledge (Nature): No skill points
    Knowledge (Engineer): (1d20+4)[21]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Clockwork Isekai Solo Advanture [IC]

As Skarre scans the surrounding area on their journey, the countryside looks idyllic and seem to be a picturesque example of a fantasy world's oddly aesthetically pleasing landscapes. As he scans, he does catch the dwarf fiddling with his great crossbow and notices that he's mounted a scope to it, as well as what looks like a sword-like blade mounted to the underside. As he looks closer, he notices that a crystal disk has been added to a space seemingly designed to hold it on the side. Oddly, the winch system he would expect to see for reloading the crossbow seems to be missing, or somehow hidden - though as it is loaded and ready to fire, that strikes him as very odd.

Suspecting some sort of magic at play, he can still appreciate the care the dwarf has taken in modifying and maintaining the weapon. Information about the crossbow's construction seems to unspool in his mind as he studies it. It was known as a Great Crossbow, the sight was an attachment of Gnomish design that increased the effective range. The blade was indeed something called a sword crossbow bayonet. The lack of a winching system indicated some sort of magical enhancement that handled reloading for the user, which is common in the more expensive mechanical ranged weaponry construction such as crossbows and siege weapons.

The miles passed fairly uneventfully, and Captain Roland didn't seem to be much of a conversationalist beyond the occasional complaint about the snoring coming from Maddox in the rear wagon, and remarking on the occasional land mark. Early on they passed a section of road where the cobblestones were pockmarked and scorched. "Goblin raid almost a year back. One of the guards was a fan of chucking acid flasks and alchemical fire," was all he said about it. Another landmark he mentioned was a hut tucked just inside the tree line off in the distance. "Old Agatha lives there. Most people steer clear, as they value their lives," glancing at Skarre he grunts, "though, you might get along alright. She's a necromancer that doesn't much like flesh and blood people and she don't bother us so long as we don't bother her. The guild gets requests for full skeletons of this and that now and then, but I don't know anyone brave enough to deliver."

There were a few more, but they were innocuous enough. The remains of an old hamlet burned down in a battle with some monsters that was long since overgrown, an old granite statue at a crossroads that was so warn, it was just a featureless humanoid at this point, and a lake that Captain Roland swears he once saw a woman's hand sticking out of the surface holding a sword, though he admits that was back when he'd been a heavy drinker before he got married. It was a fairly peaceful and relaxed journey. Right up until it wasn't.

A piercing screech came from above even as the elven druid dove down and landed on the lead wagon, shifting back into his humanoid form to report. "Road's blocked. One of those really big armored lizards with the tail clubs and a dire elk buck are going at it just where the forest closes in from both sides and basically taking up the entire road." Swearing like a sailor, Captain Roland mutters through gritted teeth, "I swear to the gods, if I ever find that saurian priest bastard that went around digging up and resurrecting every ancient lizard from before proper folk even existed, I will shove my foot so far up his scaly cloaca, he'll taste boot leather for the rest of his demandably short life." Sighing, he asks, "How far?"

Glancing up and seeming to do some mental math, the elf waffles a hand, "Just under a mile?" Pointing ahead at where the road curses behind a heavily forested area, he continues, "You'll hear them thumping each other before you get to that bend. Pass it, and you'll see them." Groaning, Roland sighs in resignation. "If we wait them out, as no matter who wins, the predators and scavengers will come out of the forest as soon the winner wanders off and we'd need to deal with a small hoard of the bastards instead. Up to you lot if you'd rather deal with the two big problems, or a small hoard of smaller problems." Levi looks a little pale at the thought, but sighs. "I think we should deal with both the larger animals. The lizard will likely win, and they have a bounty for a reason - if we leave them to breed we'll never be rid of the damn things and they'll take over the local ecosystem. I'll check with the others," he says before clambering down and rushing to the other wagons to speak with his comrades. Roland turns to Skarre, "What are your thoughts? The lizard will net extra coin for the bounty, but it'll be a harder fight than running off the scavengers that'll come after."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Skarre listened intently as the Captain pointed out places of interest, taking special note of the necromancer and the lady in the lake.

When the bird that was the druid returned and asked his opinion, he made a logical choice. "I personally prefer the enemy that I know. It is much easier to contend with a known threat than any number of random creatures that could be looking for an easy meal. The extra money is just icing on the cake... besides, I don't think either of these creatures have a way of dealing with my companions..." Skarre called the Shadows from beneath the cart and had them take cover in his own shadow.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blinking at the shadows revealed to be under his wagon, Roland gave Skarre the side eye for a moment before quietly muttering, "Oh aye, you and that old witch Agatha would get on fine, I should think," before shaking his head as if to clear it. In a moment, Levi returns to relay the desires of the other adventurers. After hearing of Skarre's own decision he nods. "They'd both like a piece of the bounty. Maddox will stay with the wagons as guard since he has the longest range and can participate even when staying with the wagons, while the rest of us will move ahead to deal with the problem."

Heaving a sigh, Roland nods and gives the order to proceed to the bend. Levi resumes his aerial beast form and launches into the sky once more. As the wagons roll on, the bend in the room looming closer, dull thumps and a horn like call begin to make themselves heard, growing louder as the bend approaches. Slowing down at the bend, the wagons make the way around the curve.

As the caravan rounded a bend in the winding cobblestone road, a scene of chaos and spectacle unfurled before them. In the midst of the road stood an immense ankylosaurus, its armored form glistening in the dappled sunlight. With deliberate force, it swung its colossal tail, sending shockwaves through the earth, shattering the cobblestones beneath its feet. Facing this behemoth head-on was a mammoth elk, its antlers towering into the sky, and its massive frame seemed to defy belief. It bellowed with a resounding bugle and charged forward with a fearsome determination. As Maddox whistled sharply from the back, Roland called out and the caravan came to a halt, the horses rearing nervously, as they bore witness to an ongoing battle of monstrous proportions that had already blocked their path.

Ignored for the moment by both beasts, Roland jerks his head toward the giants beasts and mutters, "Gods I hate those giant lizards. They shoulda stayed dead." Turning to Skarre, he grunts, "We'll hang back here. While I know your own safety needs to be considered, I'd appreciate it if you folks got as close as possible - around the other side, if at all possible - before drawing its attention. Maddox won't start firing off his magic whatever-it-is until they've got other things to worry about so as not to draw attention to us as the biggest threat." Gesturing back at Maddox, Skarre turns to see the human pulling on a pair of goggles in the rear wagon and adjusting them as he gives Roland a thumbs-up.

Brundier sidles up to the lead wagon and thumbs the side of it as he starts marching forward calling out cheerily, "Time ta be earnin' the beer moonah, boy-o!" Above, Levi circles the massive beasts from above, awaiting the attack.

Show

The two creatures are currently approximately 375 feet away.
    Both are 'Huge' creatures.
    As they circle each other, they are blocking the entire road, and one would need to enter the torn apart forest on either side (difficult terrain), or go under/over them somehow in order to circle around them.
    They are entirely focused on one another at the moment.
    The adventurers will get a single surprise round. Roll initiative with the first attack action.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the caravan had stopped and the other adventurers seemed prepared, Skarre hefted his bladed mace and began walking toward the beasts with the Shadows dancing around his feet.

As he moved, plumes of caustic smoke poured from the stacks in the back of his armor (smoking - 20% miss). Then, suddenly, he and the Shadows shunted forward, almost directly under the dinosaur.

Skarre's magic left him unable to take further action, but the Shadows moved within the great beast’s darkened underbelly. They reached out in hunger, to drain it of the massive stores of strength in its being.

Show
    Skarre uses Dimension Door to be adjacent to dinosaur.

Shadow 1/2 move to flank dinosaur.

Shadow 1 touch (1d20+7)[23]
    - strength damage (1d6)[6]

Shadow 2 touch (1d20+7)[22]
    - strength damage (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2023-09-18 at 08:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

The honking bugle of distress that the large dinosaur released in response to the touch of the two shadows vibrated the ground under Skarre's feet. A loud curse sounds from behind as Brundier's colorful swearing about going deaf proceeds the thrumming snap of his great crossbow. Positioned so close to the beast, Skarre doesn't see if the results of the dwarf's attack, but on the other side of the two creatures, he does see Levi land and shift his form to that of a land-based predator, crouching low as he prepares to leap into the battle with fangs and claws.

Seeing the dinosaur obviously distracted, the massive Elk takes a step back and lowers its head, preparing for a charge, for now ignoring the group.

Show

Beast Block Initiative (1d20)[1]
    The group has won initiative, and act before the beasts.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

The Shadows continued to feast on the strength of the dinosaur, while Skarre stepped slightly to the side.

He didn't want to be in the way of the elk when it charged, and attempted to keep the body of the club-tail between him and the antlers of the elk. Once safely positioned, he brought the bladed mace to bear with all his might.

Show

Shadow 1 touch (1d20+7)[23]
    - strength damage (1d6)[2]

Shadow 2 touch (1d20+7)[27]
    - strength damage (1d6)[6]

Skarre touch (1d20+9)[25]
    - damage (2d6+20)[25]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Its skin sagging as its muscles seem to instantly atrophy, the dinosaur lets out a mournful honk, even louder than the elk's war cry. Levi in his predator form leaps at it's side as it staggers, tearing into it with his teeth. The sound of Brundier's crossbow firing sounds again behind Skarre and he sees a flash of movement above him before the club-tail staggers again. Spinning in place waving its massive tail, it begins charging towards the tree line, slow and staggering.

Seeing its foe begin to flee, the Elk bugles another war cry and digs its hooves into the earth, breaking through the cobbles as it gets a good grip before launching after the fleeing dinosaur, trampling over Skarre, the shadows, and Levi, not even seeing them in its hyper-focused state of aggression.

As the group reels from the sudden onslaught trampling limbs, more bass-laden honking sounds preceed the formation of dust cloud above the tree line and the crashing sounds of rapidly falling trees in the direction the Ankylosaurus is attempting to flee. Brundier's thickly accented voice seems unnaturally serious as he calls out, "Oi, I dunna li'e the sound 'o that!"

Show

Ankylosaurus Trample (Shadows/Levi/Skarre): (2d12+1)[6] (DC: 12)
    Shadow 1 Incorporeal Miss Chance (over 50% hits) (1d100)[69]
    Shadow 2 Incorporeal Miss Chance (over 50% hits) (1d100)[80]

Dire Elk Trample (Shadows/Levi/Skarre): (2d8+10)[24] (DC: 23)
    Shadow 1 Incorporeal Miss Chance (over 50% hits) (1d100)[15]
    Shadow 2 Incorporeal Miss Chance (over 50% hits) (1d100)[70]

Skarre gets a reflex save for each attack for 1/2 damage, and so do the shadows if either are hit (one for each trample that connects)
    Shadows & Skarre all get an attack of opportunity on Both the Elk and Ankylosaurus. (limited to 1/round unless they have a way to take more than 1 AoO per round).

The dinosaur looks very messed up. Assuming neither die from attacks of opportunity, the club-tail is just at the tree line, 100' away, with the elk being 20' behind him (80' away from your position).
    Last edited by beholderkin; 2023-09-20 at 11:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

The Shadows let out a silent wail in protest as their meal fled from them. Icy fingers reached out to draw what they could as the club-tail panicked. Skarre, too, hefted the two-handed executioner mace to strike at the fleeing dinosaur.

He held back from the chase as the elk trampled over him, hearing the other calls. Taking on an entire herd of mega fauna wasn't worth the price on the head of the dinosaur.

Show

Skarre Reflex - Dino: (1d20+14)[20]
    Skarre Reflex - Elk: (1d20+14)[27]

Shadow 1 Reflex - Dino: (1d20+5)[14]
    Shadow 2 Reflex - Dino: (1d20+5)[12]
    Shadow 2 Reflex - Elk: (1d20+5)[21]

Shadow 1 AOO (touch): (1d20+5)[18]
    Strength Damage: (1d6)[6]

Shadow 2 AOO (touch): (1d20+5)[11]
    Strength Damage: (1d6)[4]

Skarre AOO (touch): (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+20)[27]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the shadows claw at it once more, the trampling ankylosaurus quickly begins to stagger, slamming into the ground with a weight that causes the surrounding ground to shake. It was unfortunate for the giant lizard that the elk was close behind it. Lowing its head as it chases its opponent, the dire elk slams its horns into the back of the dinosaur, rending its flanks wickedly as it begins to savage its now strengthless foe.

The shaking ground seems to go on for far longer than a single fall of a massive beast should warrant, and the reason was soon apparent. Bursting from the treeline, another ankylosaurus, this one even larger than the one that had fallen honks thunderously as it sees the one on the ground - helpless and being savaged. The sound is so loud and bassy, the surrounding ground quivers again in protest.

Behind the larger anylosaurus, two smaller ones trail behind, obviously hesitant and keeping far back from the road. "Oi, it be a whole damned family of the giant buggers! I thin' the first one was the Da'. I thin' that elk is fooked, mate..." Brundier's thickly accented voice is tinged with an audible wince as he remarks, holding his shot for the moment. Levi's predatory form edges closer to Skarre and simply whines in seeming agreement, also not charging after the large beasts but watching them both warily, golden eyes darting to the smaller dinosaurs watching from a safe distance on the trail of fallen trees their mother had made.

Show

The original dino is now helpless (Str 0). You are 60' from the Elk, and 100' from the larger Dino. The 2 small dinos are approximately 300' away from you, beyond the larger one.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Ruby Goddess has blessed me with a heart of steel, not fear." Skarre looked down coldly at the whining creature that was also a man. Smoke continued to engulf his form as he strode forward. A pointed finger was a silent command for the Shadows to leave their crippled prey and seek out the vitality of the large female club-tail.

Skarre's body began to glow with the eldritch etched tattoos that powered his abilities. Just as before he shunted forward, landing directly in front of the female.

Show

Shadow 1/2 - double move (80 ft) toward female

Skarre - Dimension Door to adjacent to female

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hearing Brundier begin to swear like a sailor, the deep twang of his large crossbow firing sounds behind him, but Skarre isn't in a position to see where it was aimed, or if it connected with its target.

The elk continues to savage the downed dinosaur with horns and hooves as the larger one spins and slams its club tail into the elk with great force, causing a meaty crack to sound out through the area. Stumbling back, the elk wobbles as it keeps its legs under it, stomping and huffing as it bugles a retaliatory war cry. The Elk looks unsteady and battered. The downed dinosaur's breathing is labored and ragged as a large pool of its lifeblood begins to grow out from its savaged flanks to stain the surrounding ground and cobblestones. With a final cough and shudder, the beast's breathing halts and the large dinosaur's enraged honk once again shakes the surrounding earth.

The two smaller dinosaurs far back on the path of destruction carved through the forest shuffle and honk meekly, obviously anxious and in distress.
    Last edited by beholderkin; 2023-09-29 at 04:38 AM.