New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Jeez…. Well, normally you can’t dodge ranged weapons; but I think a thrown person is probably slow enough that it makes sense to permit Jasmine to try, since the alternative is her gawking and getting splattered.

Would killing someone *as* a ranged weapon break my vows against using such weapons..? I wonder.
    agreed, but at -10

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

(1d100)[83] v. 59, fp to not die (1d100)[59] haha god is good to the pure of heart!
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-07-16 at 10:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Huh, wha. I thought Regine snapped Bertelis out of his tentacle-fantasies lol?
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    vs41 - (1d100)[96] v. 59, fp to not die [roll1] haha god is good to the pure of heart!
    Honestly you were due for a break

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    Huh, wha. I thought Regine snapped Bertelis out of his tentacle-fantasies lol?
    You did! Bertelis is completely aware as he is hurled across the room. It means I’ll be able to act this turn instead of cluelessly flailing.

Agi to avoid the torch fire while airborne: vs41 - (1d100)[96]

Mon canard est en fue!

Also I rolled for wall damage in the roller thread. Another 3; Bertelis is at… 9 I think, will check tonight.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-07-16 at 11:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

(3d10)[4][4][10](18) -3+2 TN11

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Ho hum:

(1d100)[7] UCAF Fumblehand: A randomly selected item you are holding or carrying flies 1d10 yards (1d10/2 squares) in a random direction, thrown invisibly by Winds of Chaos.

Sure bramble can use that...

(1d10)[7] Mark
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-07-17 at 04:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Ho hum:

[roll0] UCAF Fumblehand: A randomly selected item you are holding or carrying flies 1d10 yards (1d10/2 squares) in a random direction, thrown invisibly by Winds of Chaos.

Sure bramble can use that...

[roll1] Mark
    ...Have you been getting, like, a crazy amount of miscasts? Is it just because Wighard is embracing his magical power much more recently, by necessity?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

There are two opposite character arcs going on

As Bertelis is suffering from multiple crises of confidence, Wighard is growing more assured and poised

At the start Wighard hardly cast at all, remember by his own admission he had not cast for 357 days before fighting Lord Armata*.

His promotion and the wand from Magus Trakore made him paranoid that he was being given power he was not capable of handling as some political move, which might also have come with a dose of imposter syndrome

Since then however he has got to an effective magic score of 4, and he has two sources of mitigation (a familiar ability and the cloak) so he is not worried about rolling triples or four of a kind.

Also the two spells he has been casting the most, Banish and Illuminate the Edifice, were not on his original list but were picked up as Extra Spells

So he is more confident, he has more useful spells and he has some buffer in case things go wrong

*Part of the reason his Order wear armour is to make them think very carefully before casting,
    "Do not cast when you can cut"
    "Do not cut when you can nurse"

And because armour is more useful in the rough and tumble of camp life - it also helps to not look like a wizard because everyone knows wizards don't wear armour.

In the same way having a Blunderbuss but not being proficient in reloading it makes you think very carefully about when you use it. So it's actually a highly appropriate weapon.

Part of the lore for Magic College we don't have yet is that unlike the other Colleges you are not expected to cast the best spells you know except in a dire situation

Apprentices (M1) should not be casting

Journeymen (M2) should be doing Petty Magic only, even if they have a Lore and Lesser Magic

I also have been considering coming up with a new carear or two and putting Siobhan through it, but that's nascent at the moment
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-07-17 at 08:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Also I seem to point out that we are igniting a torch with steel and flint

Not a roadflare or themite grenade

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Very cool. Also, high five for symmetrical character development arcs.

This is definitely not the path I expected Bertelis to go; but I really expected Bertelis’ armor and high WS to carry him through that fight in the dark with the Daemonette. But I kept rolling crit fail after crit fail, losing weapons and shield until he was knife fighting a daemon in the dark and “died”; and then it just seemed like he would be ridiculous if he just rocked on like everything was fine. Like he didn’t just get murdered be a daemon. So having him forestall his knighthood was both a convenient excuse for me to pick up some odd all careers for their niche talents (entertainer is one of like three places where you can actually get trick riding) and has been a fun deviation from bland “stalwart knight” archetype.

And the dice just decided to support him when he started praying to Manaan, which worked well for my plans.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Also I seem to point out that we are igniting a torch with steel and flint

Not a roadflare or themite grenade
    This is true. But Bertelis is also wielding a sword that is blazing with magic fire while he’s being thrown around, so… *handwave loosely.*

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Poking my head back in to check on the Order of the Burning Slug. Wonder where on his journey to Miragliano Gimgroth would be at this date in the game? Anyone have a good source of distances between cities in the Old World. Glad to see that Wighard, Bertelis, Bruno and Jasmine are still alive and kicking butt.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

We parted ways about 37 days ago at Montfort

The party spent 24 of those days moving along rough roads twixt mountain and forest to Couronne

Gimgroth could have gone upriver to Paravon then skirt Athel Loren to Quenelles and heading across the pass into eastern Miragliano by now. I think that is the easiest route with nothing too much to worry about until the mountains

The only sources I have been able to find have given travel times and distances within the Empire

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/docs/...e%20Empire.pdf

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    but I probably get a bonus on this, as it's a static object, but I let the GM decide that).
    Unaware is +30

Stunned is +20

Knocked Down is +10

This is why not everyone has Dodge Blow, a normal person's ability to get out of the way is built into the combat engine

Of course a painting isn't a normal person

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Unaware is +30

Stunned is +20

Knocked Down is +10

This is why not everyone has Dodge Blow, a normal person's ability to get out of the way is built into the combat engine

Of course a painting isn't a normal person
    of course, the painting is a gm creation, so lemme roll something

(1d100)[16]

oh goody, i actually succeeded
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-07-17 at 02:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

We parted ways about 37 days ago at Montfort

The party spent 24 of those days moving along rough roads twixt mountain and forest to Couronne

Gimgroth could have gone upriver to Paravon then skirt Athel Loren to Quenelles and heading across the pass into eastern Miragliano by now. I think that is the easiest route with nothing too much to worry about until the mountains

The only sources I have been able to find have given travel times and distances within the Empire

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/docs/...e%20Empire.pdf
    Best i can guess is about 150 miles by river from Montfort to Paravon and then a long road journey of 750-800 miles to Miragliano from there. How does that sound? About right?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

sounds good

also, your move chickadees!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine dodge: (1d100)[76] vs TN 78

Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-07-17 at 10:44 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard is not going to bother putting the fire out, despite his grenades, both from narrative concerns and because it is easier for our pyromaniac periannath to start them than it is for him to put them out

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis' perception, as requested!

vs61 - (1d100)[12]

Edit: That's some big notice right there!

Also, hail Lars, honored alumnus! If Gimgroth is on his way to Miragliano via Nuvolone pass, and if his intention was to pick up his daughter so she is with him and therefore in the safest place in the world and then head back through the pass, he could take a barge up the branch from the River Brienne all the way to the ocean; and then take a boat from there up the coast to Mousillon, since he knows we are going that way. If we end up having to make out way back from bloody Norsca, which seems to be the case presently, it'll take us that long to cross the sea of chaos and travel down the coast from the north.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-07-18 at 03:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So doing a little math here. Riverboat averages 2.5 mph but probably could go nonstop. So call it 40 miles a day along the river adding in time for stops. That would mean the river portion would take 4 days. Then there is the 800 miles by road. A pony goes about 5mph so figuring pressing the horse for 8 hours a day. that's 20 days of travel. Means that after parting ways Gimgroth would arrive in Miragliano 24 days later. Consider 5 days to gather Beatrix and find work heading North. His intent is to purchase a pony for Beatrix to ride. He would ask his employer for a mount as he served as a guard for the caravan moving North. Gimgroth would be considered a Skilled Servant with the normal rate over 50s a day. He was in a hurry and not wanting to draw attention to himself he has agreed to a 1GC/day plus the use of his mount and food for himself and Beatrix. He would be 7 days on the trail at this point in time.

Pivoting a bit:
    Work has lightened up a bit and I should be able to resume my previous posting rate. If people are open to an eventual rejoining of Gimgroth I would like to start moving in that direction. I'm not asking for a time jump or anything to get us there right away. If the current players are not opposed to the idea, I'll start roleplaying Gimgroth and Beatrix journey to rejoin with the Order of the Slug and avoid the dreaded Yellow-Eyes. I don't feel that the beardless dwarf's story is finished yet.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Love to have you back

Not going to worry that you probably might not able to make that speed through the mountains

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

same!

to quote zombie jesus, join us

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

meloth firefighting check

(1d100)[78]

the fire is not under control, and may spread
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-07-18 at 03:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Agi -20… aw jeez. I think I’m going to the painting world to fight the painting monster of paint.

vs21 - (1d100)[25]

Ah! So close.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-07-18 at 04:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Agi -20… aw jeez. I think I’m going to the painting world to fight the painting monster of paint.

[roll0]

Ah! So close.
    yes, yeessssss!

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Dark Bramble straight up M. Bisoning, over here.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I rolled an agility test in the wrong thread and got a 50 lol. If you're okay with that bramble (given you're in the game too) I'll run with that.

If not... (1d100)[44] vs TN 58.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    I rolled an agility test in the wrong thread and got a 50 lol. If you're okay with that bramble (given you're in the game too) I'll run with that.

If not... [roll0] vs TN 58.
    all good. now had you failed this test, i would have been jumping for joy, and made you use this one

cackles

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

(1d100)[66] AG24