New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

Good luck, Regine. 6 rounds is a long time to be out of combat. If you manage to fail this ... parry (since you dodged the back-attack, right?) and the toughness test with +10% for any armor you have to the head, you might wake up tied to a railroad track or something.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers Part V: Zut Zut Zut and a Bottle of Bordeleaux

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Good luck, Regine. 6 rounds is a long time to be out of combat. If you manage to fail this ... parry (since you dodged the back-attack, right?) and the toughness test with +10% for any armor you have to the head, you might wake up tied to a railroad track or something.
    hehe. also bananaphone, please check your dms. i have the opportunity of a lifetime for you

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No pressure or anything.

Parry: (1d100)[94] vs TN 56
    FP if needed: (1d100)[3] vs TN 56

Toughness check: (1d100)[98] vs TN 54

Jesus H. christ. That was such a close shave she won't have to visit the beauty salon for a few months.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-07-03 at 07:31 PM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    No pressure or anything.

Parry: [roll0] vs TN 56
    FP if needed: [roll1] vs TN 56

Toughness check: [roll2] vs TN 54

Jesus H. christ. That was such a close shave she won't have to visit the beauty salon for a few months.
    drat. and here i thought id get lucky

oh well

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Haha. Yeah, close one. Strike to stun is super nasty sometimes; nasty enough in an in person game where you spend the next 30 minutes at the table with your friends defending your stunned butt; perhaps worse in PbP where you have to wait for three weeks for the rest of the group to brawl through a battle.

It's also another example of those things that the game designers didn't completely think through, or atleast expected a GM to have some hand in moderating. For example, there's no reason you can't use Strike to Stun on a Giant. Giants have no armor on their heads. They have an average toughness of 59%. And their big sweeping blows are simulated by having a low WS (33%) and 5 attacks, with Lightning Parry so he can trade attacks for parries. But 33% is a very low chance. So all things considered, getting off a Strike to Stun on a giant is an extremely good tactic, and not remarkably harder than doing so to an ork with a hat.

...But a shrewed GM would feel at liberty of saying "His head is so big and his skull us so tough, he's stunned for 1/3 of the normal number of turns." Or something like that.

Same way that giants and dragons have Unstoppable blows (-30% to parry), but Ogres and Trolls have nothing of the sort - but I sometimes houserule them has having Somewhat Stoppable Blows, (-10% or sometimes -20% to parry). This is both because it seems nuts to think that there should be no difficulty parrying an ogre bull, and because parry is a shade too strong in WFRP in my opinion. You can see this by the way that, given a long enough timeframe, everyone ends up with a best quality axe and best quality shield. I think WFRP could benefit from more reason to use 2 handers. No one does so, because the parry is so vital and, once you have Impact on our one hand weapon, there's no reason to use anything else.

Not advocating for any houserule or anything here; just rambling.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Haha. Yeah, close one. Strike to stun is super nasty sometimes; nasty enough in an in person game where you spend the next 30 minutes at the table with your friends defending your stunned butt; perhaps worse in PbP where you have to wait for three weeks for the rest of the group to brawl through a battle.

It's also another example of those things that the game designers didn't completely think through, or atleast expected a GM to have some hand in moderating. For example, there's no reason you can't use Strike to Stun on a Giant. Giants have no armor on their heads. They have an average toughness of 59%. And their big sweeping blows are simulated by having a low WS (33%) and 5 attacks, with Lightning Parry so he can trade attacks for parries. But 33% is a very low chance. So all things considered, getting off a Strike to Stun on a giant is an extremely good tactic, and not remarkably harder than doing so to an ork with a hat.

...But a shrewed GM would feel at liberty of saying "His head is so big and his skull us so tough, he's stunned for 1/3 of the normal number of turns." Or something like that.

Same way that giants and dragons have Unstoppable blows (-30% to parry), but Ogres and Trolls have nothing of the sort - but I sometimes houserule them has having Somewhat Stoppable Blows, (-10% or sometimes -20% to parry). This is both because it seems nuts to think that there should be no difficulty parrying an ogre bull, and because parry is a shade too strong in WFRP in my opinion. You can see this by the way that, given a long enough timeframe, everyone ends up with a best quality axe and best quality shield. I think WFRP could benefit from more reason to use 2 handers. No one does so, because the parry is so vital and, once you have Impact on our one hand weapon, there's no reason to use anything else.

Not advocating for any houserule or anything here; just rambling.
    stealing that

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Heh, when some people get old and senility sets in, some people will ramble about political figures and lost loves from ages gone by, while MrAbdiel will rant about inconsistent rules in the RPG's he used to play.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, when some people get old and senility sets in, some people will ramble about political figures and lost loves from ages gone by, while MrAbdiel will rant about inconsistent rules in the RPG's he used to play.
    hey, its said in the senior citizen homes of the future, bridge and bingo will be replaced by dnd, wfrp 2e, and fate core

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    stealing that
    The parry penalty on big boys? Go for it. I found often that when running games, I felt the need to arbitrarilly raise the enemy Weapon Skill to compensate for how easilly the players parried. When I added that small penalty, I felt more at liberty to just let the chips fall where they may. Just remember that whenever you alter the standard ruleset to make life harder for the players in some way, it's up to you to make it clear enough so they don't bumble into a situation they thought would be resolved a different way; or to ease off on WS buffs on enemies like I did to counterbalance the drop in player's primary defense!

Man I'm not waiting until I'm senile, it's an unbroken line from here on in.

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    hey, its said in the senior citizen homes of the future, bridge and bingo will be replaced by dnd, wfrp 2e, and fate core
    Woo hoo! MrAbdiel's Assisted Gaming Home for Grognards is going to have a kickstarter soon, plz donate.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

lol.

im just checking, did we lose meloth?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Nah, Volthawk posted yesterday on the previous page in this thread. I think he’s just both a little busy, and doesn’t have much he wants to add to the chain pulling. But now we’re busting though the gate, I think we’re about to all activate again!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, Volthawk posted yesterday on the previous page in this thread. I think he’s just both a little busy, and doesn’t have much he wants to add to the chain pulling. But now we’re busting though the gate, I think we’re about to all activate again!
    understood

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Everyone please use their move action to get inside the gate lol.

Like, for real yo, please lol.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

hehe, better move quickly!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

So if we let go of the chain and half move in, a) will that work, and b) do we see any of the currently happening fights?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    So if we let go of the chain and half move in, a) will that work, and b) do we see any of the currently happening fights?
    you see the fight on the inside, not the fight between regine and mr headless' brother

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think someone jammed the door open.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

I think someone jammed the door open.
    he looked for something to jam the door open.

me and my brain are not on the same page

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've taken the first three, and Bertelis can take the last one (the fourth missed) and the leader's attacks. With our armour and toughness, only attack 1 and 4 do any damage (and I parry 1 and 4 missed).

I've also already put in my attacks.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Awesome. Everyone in the breach! Volthawk I think Meloth currently has the Best Axe we looted since Bertelis pressed it into his hand. He was halfway to recruiting him to attack the door with me, so feel free to employ that; I think it's just a melee press inside without much room for bow work right away.

I'm not sure if we're getting full attacks or moving in and single attacking; until you ask us to roll initiative properly Bramble I'm gonna make the assumption we're in a sort of... anomalous hazard right now, and not strictly working with turns...? Like it's a puzzle to solve, and the puzzle is made of angry hairy men..? Ignore my second attack IC if that's the case.

vs86Parry - (1d100)[29] or 1 damage!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome. Everyone in the breach! Volthawk I think Meloth currently has the Best Axe we looted since Bertelis pressed it into his hand. He was halfway to recruiting him to attack the door with me, so feel free to employ that; I think it's just a melee press inside without much room for bow work right away.

I'm not sure if we're getting full attacks or moving in and single attacking; until you ask us to roll initiative properly Bramble I'm gonna make the assumption we're in a sort of... anomalous hazard right now, and not strictly working with turns...? Like it's a puzzle to solve, and the puzzle is made of angry hairy men..? Ignore my second attack IC if that's the case.

[roll0] or 1 damage!
    correctamundo

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

is it my move, or am i waiting for our dearest wizard

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Scale Sheer Surface: (1d100)[76] vs TN 54

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Knew it. FP'ing that: Scale: (1d100)[100] vs TN 54

Dodge roll for the free swing the norscan will get: (1d100)[68] vs TN 78

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*Rolls eyes*

FP'ing that.

Scale: (1d100)[88] vs TN 54

Die in a fire forum roller. I love throwing 2 fate points into a hole in the ground for nothing. What a ****ing waste.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-07-04 at 08:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

free norscan attack time

(1d100)[83]

(1d10+4)[13]
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-07-04 at 08:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, Wighard’s up to either do a magic or chop with his axe or, possibly, split open like a banana peel and have a daemon crawl out of his man-rind. That last one is unlikely but not unprecedented.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Well Wighard did take an action to look for rock and fail to channel

However that was immediately before Bramble posted, so I thought it might count, but as he is asking I will not look a gift Hagranym in the mouth

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

On that subject I was going to spend two half actions to ready axe and shield, but I see no one else spent actions on that and the badguys showed up very fast so I will assume that was all free action

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    On that subject I was going to spend two half actions to ready axe and shield, but I see no one else spent actions on that and the badguys showed up very fast so I will assume that was all free action
    mmhm, sounds reasonable