New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crowley's Kids [IC]

Terric's grip on his polearm tightens at the possibility of bringing Crowley back. He nods emphatically in agreement with Flit, "Best person."

The topic of the material component causes Terric's ears redden and his eyes begin darting back and forth. He extends a hand to Mort and stammers, "H-here. I think m-my blood should be fine, I have-I've had, uh, but, uh, I got a thing?" He nervously tugs at his holy symbol, his whole face bright red, "Tha-that should be good, right?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Mort hands Terric a small knife. "Get ready to prick your hand and put a few drops in. Lemme just..." He sets up some arcane instruments, including a small glass vial that sees some ingredients and a medium added. He swirls the concoction for a bit.

"Kid," Sam says, "lose it when you're ready. Not a thing wrong with staying chaste."

The vial starts to fizz a little, and Mort nods to Terric. "Alright, now."

Terric takes the knife to his hand and cuts himself slightly, dropping in some blood. The fizzing intensifies, and Mort waits just a moment before pouring it into a wide but very shallow basin. The medium spreads out, covering the whole basin in a thin sheen of slightly metallic liquid.

A moment passes.
    Then two. Then three.

The medium gives its last fizzy gasp, and starts evaporating.

Sam asks "Mort, I've seen you do this before. What does it mean when there's just... Nothing?"

"It... It could mean a few things," Mort says. "Couple of guesses. One, he's not willing to answer, and has some protections that let him balk my ritual. Two, he's been captured, somehow, and prevented from moving on to his native plane. Three... He's gone entirely."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Status
    Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4
    Projected weapons: -
    After staring at the now empty basin for several moments, Salovair says "Mortimer, thank you for the attempt."

"If Father is protected or unwilling, that means he has some control over his situation. He will contact us eventually if this is the case, or we could try again in a while if you are willing."

"The Golden Avengers are said to have banished him. But I do not know when or where this was done. It could be a rumor, and they are instead holding Crowley captive. Or the place he was banished to is in fact a prison of some type. These Avengers, and perhaps others in the Plume, have the information we need."

Salovair looks towards Sam. "Perhaps there is also another way to find out? The place where they supposedly held their banishment ritual could hold clues. Any path you could suggest beyond confronting the Avengers directly is welcome."

Salovair is, reluctantly, doing his best to come up with a course of action other than seek-and-destroy.

"As to the final option regarding Crowley... I'm not able to accept that. Not without proof."

It is obvious that the elf is unable, or at least unwilling, to utter out loud the possibility that Father could be gone.

4. - Top - End - #34

"The Plume hasn't been active here-so I don't know, off the top of my head, what kind of vices their membership have," Sam replies. "But I'm pretty sure that'll change sooner rather than later."

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Immediately Flit shows an excitement at such a close opportunity to contact their father. She follows with the slightest skip in her step, but still feels a great deal of skepticism.

She puts a hand of reassurance on Terric's shoulder to accompany Sam's encouragement. She then waits patiently through the process, an obvious aura of "anxious" emanating from her, which quickly reverts back to the skepticism, now confirmed.

She nods in agreement as Salovair presents far more articulate words than she could hope to. She prefers attempting to be concise, however ineffective that may often be. "Yeah, since they don't seem to be very present just yet, it should be safe to investigate the... umm... the scene of the crime.

Flit pauses and makes a point lock eyes with Mort and Sam each in turn, the determined look has taken over again. "The last one is not an option."
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"What, that's crazy," Terric swallows hard and takes a deep breath. Eager to move on, he takes the knife and hastily makes a small cut along the back of his left hand, wincing at the pain but still drawing enough blood for the ritual. He watches Mort intently, excited at the opportunity to reach Crowley, but as time passes and it becomes clear the spell has failed, Terric's excitement turns to worry, then fear. Was that my fault? Have I had sex?

Mort's explanation pulls him back to reality. He continues staring at the now empty basin, but nods along with his siblings, "He can't just be gone. He deserves better than that." Terric manages to tear himself away from the failed ritual, walking over to stand by his siblings again, "The site of the banishment sounds like a good plan. We should go sooner rather than later, while magical energy still lingers. Past that, I would like to visit father's office. He must have had contingency plans in place if he ran into trouble." He glances at the blood on his hand, "Maybe he didn't plan for this sort of situation, but he must've had something."

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4
    Mirroring the need for actions of his siblings, Salovair moves closer to the exit as he speaks after Terric.

"I expect searching the office is less time critical. If they ransacked it, that has no doubt happened already. That said, father is a crafty one. Hiding information where others would not easily find it is probably instinctual."

"Let's examine that scene then." he nods towards Flit.

He makes a slight bow to Sam and Mortimer, with some words of thanks and farewell, and is obviously ready to leave at once.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Flit runs the information over in her head again, taking into account how well they may or may not have known their father. "They don't have influence here so it makes sense he might not have had a direct contingency. But they knew what they were up against apparently."

She moves to the door, ready to find another clue, if you could even call this first encounter a clue. Maybe the lack of information will provide some more insight later. For now, maybe she could gauge the level of trust between Sam and their father.

"Sam, do you know anything about his plans and what we need to look for? When did you last speak?"

Spoiler
    Show

Insight check on Sam: (1d20+5)[23]

History check to remember anything about the guild's contingencies or clues their father might have left through conversation/guidance: (1d20+8)[11]

Investigation check to see if Flit recognizes any obvious signs of her father's presence here: (1d20+11)[25]
    Advantage (glasses): (1d20+11)[23]

I know it's a lot of rolls, but you said worst case scenario, just ignore what isn't relevant. So, use as you see fit!

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    Sam is being honest with you. She's not revealing absolutely everything, but she's cagey by nature. You can trust her, and you'd bet good money that she's acting in your family's best interest.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    This far from home, you don't recall anything offhand.

Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    No sign of pops.

"Maybe a month ago? He came by to keep up appearances," she said. "You know how it is-he lacked a libido, but to appear more normal, every once in a while, he'd come visit the Cat to pretend. My staff liked his visits-always a handsome tipper, always a gentleman in bed. If he had any idea of what was coming, he didn't share it."

She sighs. "I wish I knew more. But for now, we've got a back exit. You can take that if you want to leave quietly."

You thank Sam and Mort for their time, and follow her directions to the exit. Outside the Cat, it's now late afternoon, approaching into the evening. You set off for your home.

Danny and Terric are the first to notice-patrolling your home are guards. But not the usual Indosian guard-members of the Plume. They count six, outside of the manor.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Terric raises a hand to get everyone's attention, "Plume. Six of them." He squints, "Looks like a patrol." He sighs, tightening his grip on his weapon, "Just...keep calm. No reason to get in a fight - yet."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Flit appreciates the genuine assistance from Sam, offers great thanks, and bids farewell for the moment. The hope within gradually rises a little as they get closer to home, a chance to learn more. Unfortunately, that is equally combating the anxiety, not knowing what they'll find.

Sure enough, Terric gets their attention and then she begins to notice the patrol. Frustration begins taking place over her other feelings. Fighting should wait, but talking? Is that smart, or even possible?

"The Plume know to look for us, surely? If we're going in, we'll have to figure out their pattern and a plan."

Spoiler
    Show

Are we familiar with any possible secret entrance/exit for the house?

Also, do we know exactly where the banishment took place?
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-08-06 at 02:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There's a TON of secret entrances. You doubt any one of you know of them all. But, there are some common ones you know-those should NOT be used, because the Plume probably knows about them as well.

It'd be a relatively easy check (call it DC 12, of an appropriate ability) to get to a secret entrance and make it inside.

You do not know exactly where your dad was banished.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4
    On the way to the manor, when there are no stranger's eyes to see it, Salovair makes sure his glamoured armor appears as something unremarkable.

When Dany and Terric warn of the guards, you can see Salovair move instinctively into a battle stance. But he doesn't create any weapons, yet. When nobody else appears to ready themselves for combat, he slowly and reluctantly relaxes.

He says in agreement with Flit: "A place to observe them without being noticed ourselves would be best then. If there is no obvious way to get past them, we could wait for nightfall and use the darkness. Either way, we also have to get out when we're done."

Salovair's expression hardens. "Although less honorable, I would not balk at a plan that takes the guards out. Preferably one at a time. If that is our best option of course."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Skill checks if needed. Perception for looking for a vantage point perhaps. Investigation to determine a hole in the guards pattern? And stealth to remain unnoticed.
    Perception: (1d20+6)[10]
    Investigation: (1d20+9)[22]
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[16]

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Perception: Your father's plans have worked against him, in this case. There is no good vantage point away from the home, to prevent people from spying on his home.

Investigation: Your home is large, so the guards have plenty of gaps. But you do not know where and how numerous their backup is.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Flit's frustration gradually turns into focus as she attempts to figure out a way through, and what they're even looking for. Father taught her that, how to focus the energy into something more productive.

She nods her head in agreement with Sal. Sometimes straight to the throat is the best method, but she's proud of him for considering alternatives. Right time, right place, that sort. "Believe me, I want nothing more than to kick down their proverbial door. We'll get that chance. But for now, Danny. Do you think your disguise stuff could get us - or at least you - a closer look? Maybe ask a couple questions.

Then Flit has another idea, maybe they could easily get by them after all... "From what I can tell, they've been around some of our little paths. Maybe we should check out one of longer trails.* And yeah, getting in might be the easy part."

Spoiler
    Show

*Siblings would know that "longer trails" is specifically referring to the tunnels, but she's not really sure if they know much more or less than her about them.
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-08-08 at 03:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Having taken a moment to take several deep breaths and collect his own thoughts, Terric nods grimly. "I get that feeling. Anger mixed with grief and loss. It's never just a loved one you lose, it can be a loss of purpose, or guidance, or support." Terric recites these as if part of a eulogy, he catches himself, "People lash out all the time. It's normal to want to. And as much as it hurts to say, we have to rein that in for now." He takes another deep, focusing breath, "They'll get what's coming to them in time - Apollo's arrows be swift." He mumbles the last, not so much a prayer as a saying.

"I didn't much walk the trails, but sounds like a plan." Terric offers a meek smile, "Less chance of an incident."

17. - Top - End - #47

MindFlayer

Taking his time to think it through, Salovair concludes there is no obviously better plan available. Nor any means to get enough information for a safer plan.

"You had best select one of the trails for us to use then, Flit." Salovair looks at Terric and Danny "Unless either of you knows them better?"

"I suggest we stick together. A little more conspicuous, perhaps, but certainly better able to deal with any nasty surprises."

Show

perception to notice danger during the travel to the mansion perhaps? (1d20+6)[9]

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4

18. - Top - End - #48

You take your time, and find one of the longer paths. It takes you under the ground, and is somewhat twisty and turny. But, luckily, it's also empty, and before you know it, you're in one of the wine cellars.

One of the casks has been opened that you're pretty sure was closed before.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

After they've agreed on the plan, Flit heads back away from the house, retracing steps to find one of the safer ways in. The entire time, nobody says anything, they know how well voices travel. Once they've made it into the cellar, she feels a bit relieved to be back in the house, but at the same time, it doesn't feel as safe as did just a couple days ago.

They had obviously been in here enough to notice any minor difference, namely a freshly opened bottle. "Yeah, of course they would." She thinks to herself, then points that out to make sure everybody else noticed; somebody else no doubt noticed before she did.

Before going any further, she wants to make sure they can communicate without worry of being heard. She begins to form another telepathic connection with her siblings. "Somebody keep a good ear and eye out for anything approaching... I think we should head to his office/bedroom/whatever for some emergency message he might have left... And if we catch one of these guys alone, we can kindly ask for some details... Oh, and we should stick together."

Spoiler
    Show

Telepathic Connection for one hour.

Stealth check: (1d20+10)[25]

Investigation: (1d20+11)[31]
    Advantage (glasses): (1d20+11)[20]

Moving forward Flit will begin inspecting pictures on the walls, books on shelves, misplaced accessories, anything to reveal a hidden cache of their father's.

She'll trust "navigating safely via perception" to a sibling more suited to the task. If I need to roll anything else, or additional investigation checks, let me know.

20. - Top - End - #50

MindFlayer

Following Flit, Salovair keeps a sharp eye and ear out for any danger. When they encounter the opened cask, he searches quickly in the vicinity. Concentrating less on what they may have taken and more on any traps they could have left. Us siblings are hunted after all, and returning to known ground is often what gets prey caught.

He stays quiet through all of this, even in the telepathic link. This is nothing new, he's just being focused.

When Flit mentions the possibility of capturing someone though, Salovair can't help but flash a grin, with nothing kind about it.

Show

Skill checks
    Investigation (1d20+9)[22]
    Perception (1d20+6)[14]
    Stealth (1d20+4)[19]

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4

21. - Top - End - #51

There are no traps laid in the wine cellar-but listening carefully, you can hear people moving about upstairs. They're likely not going to have left traps, relying on their patrols to entrap any ne'er-do-wells.

You sneak on through the mansion, using your knowledge of its layout to your advantage. Your first stop is Crowley's study-which has been absolutely ransacked. It looks like a small bomb went off-which is probably exactly what happened, given Crowley's wards against strangers rummaging through his stuff. But, it wouldn't get everything. You pour over the room, grabbing any surviving documents and anything else that might be of note.

Your next stop is his bedroom-which is basically a second office. He didn't need sleep. But as you reach the vicinity of the bedroom, you realize that this might've been where a lot of the fighting took place. It's utterly destroyed, with a gaping hole in the side of the building.

For the next place, you check your own rooms-you'd never put it past your dad to hide something in there for emergencies. Each room has, upon careful inspection, a hidden note.

You find a safe place to look them over.

Spoiler: Notes And Documents
    Show
    The documents you recovered from the study will likely prove useful, but none of it is especially new news to you. The notes, however...

They all read largely the same, with some minor differences based on the recipient.

If you're reading this, I am gone. I don't know why or how, but this message will only appear if I am gone from the plane without warning. I want you to know that I would never choose to leave you-you are my child, and I will always fight to support you.

There is someone from the upper planes-an angel I have worked with for eons. Their name, Azrael. If you find yourselves truly in desperate straits, they can help-but their aid does not come without a cost. If possible, try to work with the allies I have within Indos-you know them, or at least know how to find them.

I love you.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading the letter, a mix of emotions crosses his face. A few small tears, a hint of a smile. He wipes the tears away and transmits a thought to the others, "I knew he'd have something like this." His mind starts racing, sending perhaps a little too much through the psychic link, "Should we reach out to him? Azrael, I mean, he might-should know something! I know dad said not to, but...He's an angel! What's the worst that could happen? He looks back and forth, excitedly gesturing to the letter, generally upwards, and back out towards the city.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Religion - (1d20+3)[8] to see if Terric knows anything about Azrael off the cuff.
    Perception - (1d20+7)[24] to keep an eye and ear out for anything extra. Terric also has a passive perception of 22 if that catches anything.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The remnants of explosion are quite expected. Flit wonders how much, if any, of the Plume have suffered the consequences. When they encounter the aftermath of his bedroom, her jaw drops in surprise and she takes a brief moment to see if possible causes seem familiar. "What exactly even..." she trails off, accidentally expressing through the mental link.

The note takes Flit a long moment to process. She reads over it several times and eventually folds it up then presses it to her lips, the same way father would plant one gently on her forehead. She stows it away in the secret compartment in one of her shoes and then takes a deep breath, in and out. "Okay, so there are probably more allies. We should bring this news back to Sam."

The excitement emanating from Terric is helping her to focus on the task at hand, even though she also wants to jump straight into the highest course of action. "Yeah, dad being gone already feels like we've met that desperation prerequisite. Any cost is worth it, but we need to make sure we have at least something to work with."

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+5)[21] ... Is Flit familiar with any of what specifically occurred in the bedroom?

History: (1d20+8)[12] ... Useful information/stories about Azrael.

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler: Arcana DC 21
    Show
    Could've been a variety of things.

Whatever it was, it exploded OUT-so it could've been a trap or ward from Crowley, or could've been fight action.

You don't think Crowley had any nasty wards like that in his room, though, so given your look, you'd guess it was either a spell (fifth circle at a minimum) or someone big, brawny, and ready to batter down a wall.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55

MindFlayer

After taking his time to absorb the details of the room and explosion, and later the same in reading the letter, Salovair eventually reacts to Terric and Flit.

"Father's warning is clear. This Azrael is not to be called upon until our other options are exhausted. Back to Sam is probably best for now, yes. Perhaps checking out what the Trove could offer is helpful in forming a plan as well."

"Danny, you've been quiet. Copper for your thoughts?"

Although he speaks calmly, the underlying angry tension is still very much present.

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Terric sighs, the excitement visibly escaping his body as he deflates like a metal-plated balloon, "If you insist. But...aren't you curious? How's a demon end up working with an angel? Shouldn't they, y'know..." the cleric makes a few crude chopping gestures in Sal's direction to demonstrate his meaning, "Eh? And why are we only finding out about him now?"

27. - Top - End - #57

MindFlayer

Wide eyed Salovair quickly shuts his mouth, as he realizes he was speaking out loud. He stays still for a moment, trying to listen for changes in the movement elsewhere in the building, hoping his words weren't noticed.

Using Flit's mindlink again:

"Apologies for making unnecessary noise. I should have been paying more attention to our surroundings."

"I'm very curious, Terric. I didn't mean that father's warning means that we should not contact this Azrael. Only that their aid should be a last resort. Obviously he does not want us to pay whatever cost Azreal would ask, if it is not absolutely necessary."

"I suggest we go back to Sam or Audrey. Perhaps they know more about Azrael. We should leave anyway, I don't know how long we can hang around here undetected."

Show

AC 17
    HP 54/54
    Psi 5/5
    Mastery 1/1
    Rampage d4
    Sup dice 4/4