New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Anauroch: Empire of Shade OOC

Hi everyone. Please enter here and pick your colurs for speech, then introduce yourselves. I will get the IC thread going shortly.

Recruitment thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-3-5-adventure

IC thread link: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...re-of-Shade-IC
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-10-11 at 12:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Anauroch: Empire of Shade OOC

rax here, playing Sir Aubryn "Blackscale" Amcathra, a fairly stereotypical noble knight. He'll be speaking in fire brick.

For ease of reference, here's a picture and the description, personality and background fields from his character sheet:

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Broad-shouldered, muscular, and handsome, Aubryn's hair and beard are coal black and fastidiously kept. He has Azoun IV's brown eyes and those who knew Azoun well can clearly see traces of the king in Aubryn's facial features. A light dusting of dark scales, clawed hands, and a fang-toothed smile are all telltale signs of Aubryn's draconic transformation. Although his face is unscarred, he bears the marks of many battles on the rest of his body, but these are usually hidden by his full plate harness.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Dashing, courageous, and intensely loyal to his family, Aubryn also juggles a deep sense of duty to both Cormyr and Waterdeep. He is naturally mischievous and enjoys teasing those who take themselves too seriously. Laughter, he contends, is good for the soul, and even more so when times are dark.

Aubryn respects those who strive to better themselves and to make the world a kinder and more prosperous place, but also those who fight to protect hearth and kin, as long as they refrain from cruel and dishonourable deeds. Naturally, he himself strives to be an exemplar of chivalric conduct. In Aubryn's view, the end most certainly doesn't justify the means.

Aubryn's strong good looks, light-hearted manner, and prestigious family name have made him a favourite among the noble ladies of Waterdeep, Cormyr and points inbetween. For his part, Aubryn is not one to turn down an impassioned tryst or two, but he is always careful to conduct his affairs discreetly if there's the slightest chance of scandal.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Thirty-five years old, Sir Aubryn Amcathra is a veteran adventurer and campaigner. A bastard son of King Azoun IV of Cormyr and Lady Olenna Amcathra, he was afflicted with wanderlust from a young age, eschewing the political games of Waterdeep's noble families for a life of honourable service and glorious combat. His first taste of battle came as a young squire in the Dragonspear War, when Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate allied to defeat the devils of Dragonspear Castle in the Year of the Worm (1356 DR).

The Time of Troubles saw him away from Waterdeep in Tethyr, riding with Lady Bloodhawk and her Company of the Red Falcon as they battled an army of monsters that surged forth from the Forest of Tethir. As a result, he missed the attack of Myrkul's Legion and the battle that ultimately destroyed the Lord of Bones, something he rues to this day. Shaken by the danger to his family and city, Aubryn resolved to give up his wandering ways and accepted a commission as an officer of the City Guard.

As it turned out, Aubryn's career in the Guard was brief. Barely a year had passed when rumours reached Waterdeep of the Tuigan Horde ravaging Thay and Rashemen, and soon thereafter King Azoun IV of Cormyr put out his call for warriors of the western lands to join his crusade. Smitten by the king's appeal and the idea of fighting by his father's side in such a noble endeavour, Aubryn resigned his commission and hurried to Cormyr to join Azoun's growing army. During the battles that followed, he comported himself with valour and skill, and was personally knighted by King Azoun on the field of battle. Privately, Azoun recognized Aubryn as his son and introduced him to his half-sister, Princess Alusair.

After the end of the crusade, Aubryn remained in Cormyr for a few years, adventuring around the Sea of Fallen Stars. He came to love the Forest Kingdom as much as he did Waterdeep, and also grew very fond of the Dalelands. He took time to visit his cousin Mourngrym, Lord of Shadowdale, and lent his sword to the cause of Randal Morn in the latter's battles against the Zhentarim. Around this time he also began a mystical journey to "awaken the dragon within", a quest which was ultimately successful in the Year of the Wyvern (1363 DR). The accompanying physical transformation led a sharp-tongued romantic rival to dub him "Blackscale", but the newly empowered Aubryn ignored the intended insult and instead appropriated the epithet as a badge of honour.

Aubryn finally returned to Waterdeep in the Year of the Sword (1365 DR), after a particularly bittersweet affair with a lady of House Crownsilver. Trying to drown his sorrow, he spent the better part of a year drinking his way through the seedier festhalls of the city until Lord Arilos, patriarch of House Amcathra, managed to appeal to his sense of duty by asking him to keep a watchful eye on Regnet, his younger brother and heir, who had an unhealthy fascination with dungeon delving.

Aubryn accepted the job, but soon found that Regnet was well able to look after himself with the aid of his companions in the Deep Delvers adventuring company. He did as Arilos bid, however, and stuck close to Regnet, even accompanying him on forays into Undermountain every so often. This activity was enough to spark a renewed interest in Aubryn to serve his city, and he successfully petitioned to join the elite Gray Hands company. Apart from a steady string of life or death battles, this also brought him into daily contact with the Lords of Waterdeep, especially Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and his consort Laeral Silverhand. He also began an affair with the fiery half-elf sorceress Carolyas Idogyr, a fellow Gray Hands member.

Aubryn's membership in the Gray Hands has put him at the forefront of all the major battles to have afflicted Waterdeep in recent years, from the attack by an army of sea creatures in Ches of the Year of the Gauntlet (1369 DR) to the events of Halaster's Higharvestide later the same year. It also prevented him from coming to Cormyr's aid in the Goblin War (1370-1371 DR), and he was greatly saddened when news reached Waterdeep that King Azoun IV had been slain in combat with the so-called Devil Dragon.

In the Year of Wild Magic (1372 DR) he was part of the relief army led by Laeral Silverhand to raise the phaerimm siege of Evereska. In the aftermath of the siege and the breakdown of the alliance with the Shadovar of Shade, Laeral requested Aubryn to continue onwards to Cormyr as her and Khelben's personal representative to his half-sister Alusair, now the "Steel Regent" of Cormyr. Thus, Aubryn found himself on hand when a series of ominous events involving followers of Shar came to Alusair's notice in the Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR)...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Checking in, very much appreciate being selected.

Currently in a small work and life crunch, but will check in when I'm able. For now here is the sheet for Erynessë.

EDIT: Also, might want to check the link in the OP for the IC thread, it seems to lead to a thread-creating post...?
    Last edited by Palanan; 2023-07-11 at 06:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Adama, ancestor of Ciraxis the Great ice dragon

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

Adama, Sire of Ciraxis the Great Ice Dragon, a human monk and Dragon Descendant, possesses a unique and complex backstory. Here's a short narrative based on the information provided:

Born into a lineage closely tied to the ancient white dragon, Ciraxis, Adama's life was steeped in power and privilege from the very beginning. Raised within the icy realms where his draconic progenitor ruled, Adama inherited a profound connection to his ancestry. As a child, he witnessed the awe-inspiring might of Ciraxis firsthand and was captivated by the might and wisdom of dragons.

Motivated by this heritage and driven by a profound sense of superiority, Adama set out on a path to become a monk, seeking to embody the strength and discipline of his dragon forebears. He reveled in the knowledge that he possessed the power and potential to surpass mere mortals. However, this knowledge tainted his character, fostering a cruel streak and an unwavering adherence to the laws he perceived as just.

Tragedy struck when Ciraxis, his powerful progenitor, met his demise. The event shook Adama to his core, leaving him with conflicting emotions. He mourned the loss of the great ice dragon while also harboring resentment toward the heroes who vanquished his mighty ancestor.

Embracing wanderlust and an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, Adama now roams the realms, seeking to further connect with his ancestral lineage and unlock the hidden potential within himself.

As he journeys, Adama harbors a burning desire to confront the heroes responsible for Ciraxis' downfall, viewing it as a personal affront to his lineage. However, deep down, he struggles with the realization that his own actions and pride may have contributed to the fateful encounter.

Though a monk in principle, Adama's character is far from humble and meek. His conceit and belief in his superiority make him an enigmatic figure, simultaneously upholding the law while exhibiting a cruel streak when dealing with mortals who fall beneath his perceived station.

As Adama's journey unfolds, the secret he carries—the realization that his own actions were a catalyst in the death of his progenitor—weighs heavily on his conscience, influencing his every decision and fueling his internal conflicts.

Really excited for this group! I think I will grab Light Blue?
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-11 at 06:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey there,

Thrilled to be here for a quality PbP game, and so glad you liked my submission.

About myself, I primarily do build competitions around the forums, so even though my post count is light I'm no stranger to some heavy writing or crunch. I just rarely do it under my own name, so this will be a fun change of pace.

I'll be playing Professor Ixtalan Hlandrar, and speaking in star blue. From looking over the party composition, it looks like I'll be handling most of the obtuse magical duties, among a few other pillars.

Since I can't post the link just yet, I'll just say that my sheet certainly has a few surprises in store that you truly won't expect. Which might actually be a fun in-game reveal, so I'm up for keeping it quiet for a bit if Paradox is good with that. It's very in keeping with the character, and I know he'll keep me honest.

For now, consider me to have shown up to the head-canon table with a face-down character sheet. What could be more exciting than that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Question for the DM:

Have we all been drawn to Shadowdale by a specific call for aid, or have we all traveled here for our own reasons, and just happen to find ourselves here? Or is it more complex than that, e.g. various associates and holy orders have asked us to swing by, that sort of thing?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Here is Doria Firehammer, a BattleRager from Citadel Adbar sent by the Silver Marches Confederacy to investigate the rumors of a new threat emerging in the Great Desert. She’s always up for a fight, or a round of drinks in a bar (fights optional, but with her singing, it’s common enough).
    She’ll speak in orange

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Born as one of many dwarven twins since the Thunder Blessing in the great northern fortress Citadel Adbar, Doria was a bit of a wild child in her youth. Not interested in mining or crafting and lacking the discipline for military service, she preferred to explore the wilderness and hunt for monsters and treasure with her friends.

All that changed when her father was killed while guarding a caravan on the dangerous Underdark road to Sundabar. His death led her to refocus her life and begin training to join the militia. However, she still struggled with organized combat, instead joining the legendary Battleragers, channeling her anger into becoming a fierce warrior. Later she trained to work alone in the Underdark as a DeepWarden, and then dedicated her axe to the church of the Luckmaiden.

To honor her father, she often patrols the trade routes from the Citadel, spending many days far from the confines of the fortress. Unlike some of Adbar's leaders, she supports the idea of the Silver Marches Confederation, believing that it would make the region safer for the caravans that supply her home. On one of these recent journeys, she heard some rumors from a group of out Silverymoon, telling stories of unusual events in the great desert.

After failing to convince the militia leadership, many of whom don't trust the tales of an "axe idiot", to be concerned about a possible new threat to the east, she decided to investigate on her own. Traveling south along the border of the desert, past Evereska to the abbey of Endar Aglandtor, she met with her twin sister Nalia, a priestess of Haela Brightaxe. Divinations by the order of Haela's Host suggest that more info would be gained in the Dalelands, so she has journeyed east seeking the source of the rumors, and happy to swing her axe against any monsters along the way.

Excited to have made the team, and almost ready for a new adventure. I do need to do some final work to update the last bit of equipment on my sheet, which might take some time as this is a busy week, but I can role play before that’s finished.

Question for the group, and the mystery build, do we have a plan for opening doors and finding traps, or am I going to have to smash everything and set them off the hard way? Didn’t really build for that, but I guess it’s an option. Doors I open tend not to close again, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goby
    Question for the group, and the mystery build, do we have a plan for opening doors and finding traps
    I have doors, locks, and traps handled as well, speaking of pillars of play.

Presumably (hopefully, Oghma willing) in a much less announcey manner, heh. Good looking out though, it:s much appreciated.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-11 at 09:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Checking in, very much appreciate being selected.

Currently in a small work and life crunch, but will check in when I'm able. For now here is the sheet for Erynessë.

EDIT: Also, might want to check the link in the OP for the IC thread, it seems to lead to a thread-creating post...?
    I just checked in on the IC post you mentioned, and it seems to link to where it is supposed to go. I just haven't posted the first post IC yet.
    Question for the DM:

Have we all been drawn to Shadowdale by a specific call for aid, or have we all traveled here for our own reasons, and just happen to find ourselves here? Or is it more complex than that, e.g. various associates and holy orders have asked us to swing by, that sort of thing?
    You can have travelled there for your own purposes. You will be meeting Elminster, who will give you your mission. He has so many plots in progress that any of you could have been drawn to him for information or mission orders.

As for trap springing. I picked a basically balanced party, so you should have all bases covered to at least some extent.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks.

In that case, there’s a spell from Book of Exalted Deeds which Eryn would have cast. This is a sanctified spell called Valiant Steed, which allows her to summon a unicorn that willingly serves her for a year. Given the unicorn’s healing SLAs, this would be very helpful to her as she provides healing to those she meets on the road. Wanted to be sure that was okay, so she can arrive with the unicorn already present.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nines View Post
    I have doors, locks, and traps handled as well, speaking of pillars of play.
    Glad to hear that. While Doria still plans to open some doors with her head (or even better, someone else’s) she prefers that the door doesn’t explode.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, thanks.

In that case, there’s a spell from Book of Exalted Deeds which Eryn would have cast. This is a sanctified spell called Valiant Steed, which allows her to summon a unicorn that willingly serves her for a year. Given the unicorn’s healing SLAs, this would be very helpful to her as she provides healing to those she meets on the road. Wanted to be sure that was okay, so she can arrive with the unicorn already present.
    That is okay. But as it requires a sacrifice, I will say that you have to give up 1d3 points of strength for the entire duration of the summons. Using Restoration or similar on it will negate the sacrifice and therefore end the summons. I am not sure if that is the correct ruling on sacrifices, but that is how I am ruling it, as you get a lot back in return.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.

If she dismisses the unicorn, can she then use Lesser Restoration as normal to ameliorate the Strength drain?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, but you couldn't cast the spell again without re-taking the sacrifice and spending the hour casting the spell. And if it is abused by repeatedly dismissing the unicorn, for example to reduce the rolled damage to a minimum, then the celestials may just stop sending one to you.

Also, the short introductory post is up on the IC thread. Just put up some getting to know you posts, to develop an initial party dynamic. Once you have introduced yourselves I will bring the adventure into a start.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-07-12 at 10:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I’m thinking that she’ll have the unicorn with her to start, the two of them having traveled together from Cormyr up to Tilverton and through the Shadow Gap, and thence on to Shadowdale town.

Once the action starts, she’ll likely dismiss the unicorn, both for its own protection and to regain the strength she’s lost, and she won’t re-summon the unicorn unless there’s a population in need of healing. The unicorn is something she’d want to help tend to those in need on the road, but she won’t lead it into danger.

I'll try to post in the IC thread tomorrow-ish. Like yourself, I've had several trying days dealing with an older relative, as well as a mini-work crunch and other RL issues, so very steamrolled now.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Two questions.

1, what year DR and time of year is it? I didn’t see the year in the overview I read, but I’m thinking it’s either 1374 or 75? Trying to make sure that any Realms references I make are accurate.

2, should our characters have any foreknowledge that we’ll be facing desert survival challenges? I’m finishing up some equipment, and don’t plan to be too prepared, but is it reasonable to have purchased any survival gear? Or is that something we should wait to do in game?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The ancestor thing was an error, can you correct your post Palanan please?

It's been a rough week.....

EDIT: nevermind, I figured out how to weave it in.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-14 at 06:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goby View Post
    Two questions.

1, what year DR and time of year is it? I didn’t see the year in the overview I read, but I’m thinking it’s either 1374 or 75? Trying to make sure that any Realms references I make are accurate.

2, should our characters have any foreknowledge that we’ll be facing desert survival challenges? I’m finishing up some equipment, and don’t plan to be too prepared, but is it reasonable to have purchased any survival gear? Or is that something we should wait to do in game?
    1. It was very difficult to discover the year of the adventure. I ended up going page by page through the Grand History of the Realms book. As best I can tell, the adventure is set in the month of Elient in the year 1374, which is in the Autumn.

2. You will be given an opportunity to prepare when the time comes, but you will be starting in Myth Drannor, so don't worry too much about that yet.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Well now I have to ask, seeing as a year was dropped, a certain book series has something happen to myth drannor in the same year, I assume we’re not messing with that? (The last mythal series)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-07-15 at 02:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's one kind-of reveal down in the IC thread, and I really like how it turned out. There's definitely still more to come, though.

Edit: added an answer to Aubryn's question as part of the interlude and scene change. Apologies for missing it initially.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-16 at 08:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Well now I have to ask, seeing as a year was dropped, a certain book series has something happen to myth drannor in the same year, I assume we’re not messing with that? (The last mythal series)
    I haven't read that series. Can I get you to DM me a brief summary of what you are talking about with this? The module doesn't really talk about what else is going on. I took the idea of what the date is from the Grand Tour of the Realms only because it mentioned a couple of items that appear in the module in that part of the book.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, folks--really rough weekend, will try to post when I can.

Eryn does have questions for Elminster, but I'm not together enough to post now, hopefully later today.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I haven't read that series. Can I get you to DM me a brief summary of what you are talking about with this? The module doesn't really talk about what else is going on. I took the idea of what the date is from the Grand Tour of the Realms only because it mentioned a couple of items that appear in the module in that part of the book.
    Sent, but really, i would just hand wave it tbh, i don't think it has much to do with the rest of the world.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Posted, and Eryn's confusion matches my own regarding what the Windsong/Shadowsong tower-tree-thingy is.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Palanan, could you please choose a speech color per the OP, and edit your post to reflect usage of it. That would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: a word.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-18 at 02:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hah, so this is an interesting role play situation, I truly hope people don’t get offended, it’s really easy to do when you have a character you enjoy.

@Nines: is your character supposed to be obnoxious? Because that is the way they are coming across, and why people are responding, if that’s your intention, then spot on, but I’m curious if it is or not?

Just so we’re clear, I am not trying to be rude, or anything really just curious and wish to smooth things out if needed.

Or maybe I’m misreading everything.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Bel

Hey there,

No I'm not sweating it. The Harpers can certainly be over the top in their parlances and intrigues, it's part and parcel of their propaganda and being just about the worst kept secret in the Realms. So yes a lot of it is intentional, and a certain amount of scoffery is to be expected, even among the populaces of Faerun.

I'll post the truncated backstory and some other info, to get a sense of the character's central tensions, and to give some meta-knowledge to help facilitate things a bit, spoilered for anyone that wants it. but I'll leave off a few things and not include the sheet just yet, as there's at least one more big reveal coming later on.

And I'll just add that it's difficult to play the 'in-the-know' guy without coming off slightly condescending to the table (bards also, to a large extent) if it isn't also mollified by a bumbling wizard archetype, which Ixtalan certainly isn't. I totally accept that, and the attendant baggage that comes with it. I do think some of those challenges are made worse over text, where delivery and context can be hard to infer off the page.
    Last edited by Nines; 2023-07-19 at 09:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome, well you are doing a bang up job then!!

Love it!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

And I thought Doria was going to be the troublesome personality that no one likes…. Gruff dwarf with a CHR check penalty.

But yeah, I’m enjoying the tension in forming a new group. This is what happens when you get summoned by a powerful wizard, and have to decide if we can be an adventuring company.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Sent, but really, i would just hand wave it tbh, i don't think it has much to do with the rest of the world.
    To answer the query, I appear to have gotten the date wrong, and it is 1375 instead, as the elves have definitely started to repopulate Myth Drannor. It won't come into play, but the Forgotten Realms wiki mentions this adventure's events specifically, mentioning the year.