New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Years Have Not Been Well to Thee

Raven is at the same time disappointed and relieved at finding no Dragonmark at Grauff. It was just a hunch anyway. And should they bury Hesiq? As far as he knew, they didn't even bury the poor flayed victim upstairs. It was likely still there, raw bones and flesh staring at intruders like a statue of some wrongfully accused, vengeful deity. At this time he just couldn't remember. "Ibrigil? Shouldn't we give Hesiq a funeral?" he asks tentatively. Both options seemed wrong, however if Ibrigil did not seem to hear him, he intended to ask the same of Miira.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Raven would like to (if he gets some help) bury Hesiq somewhere outside where he/they can say their prayers, and then continue watching over Grauff through the day and sleeping in the same room over the night. Just saying in case you want to forward to the other day as you mentioned.
    Last edited by KIDS; 2008-08-22 at 04:32 AM.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Disgusted with his situation, Puck began to grow visibly upset. "I have to go take care of something." He says to his hobgoblin buddy as he stands up. "I'll see you later."

He begins to make his way to where the party had been attacked earlier. Perhaps the soldiers had found something.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

She catches her breath, looking around and realizing she'd let her concentration slip. Breathing deeply, trying not to hear the mutters of those around her, she slips back into her seeing-state, casting about slowly and making sure to look upwards.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Miira looks around for the rest of the evening but can't find the evil presence again. It's as if whatever haunts the Well Run Dry is aware of her now and hides, waiting for an opportunity to strike.

A pair of soldiers come into the room to drag Hesiq's body away. We're packing him in the stables with all the other bodies. You can take him off to bury him properly once the crews arrive and melt the snow on the roads. None of the other dead have been properly disposed of yet, so just be patient. This one won't be treated differently than any of the others.

The building is well insulated but nonetheless, the night is chilly and sleeping is difficult. In the darkness, shadows play at the corner of your eyes, and every creak of the wooden planks becomes the footsteps of a lurking killer.

However, the silence of night gives way to the bustling of dawn. You hear voices and many sets of footsteps making their way downstairs, and soon there is a knock on the door and a familiar girlish voice. Eh, misters and mistresses? Master Grauff's up'n walkin' again, and he wants everyone ta come gather in the dinin' room.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really minding his appearance, Puck is ready to leave the room immediately. He had still be wearing the same clothes as the previous day, and never bothered taking them off.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

The night is unsettling to Miira—more so than usual. She lies awake awhile, imagining every movement of the shadows to be that unseen presence, seeping through the ceiling to take her or one of the others. It's only the tricks the eyes play at night, of course, but even realizing that doesn't stop her from lying awake and wondering. And when she does sleep, her dreams are turbulent, unsettling, as they so often are. Unformed thoughts, wandering guilt (her hand striking down a half-orc boy, striking down Grauff, Hesiq lying on the floor), and half-formed nightmares, which thankfully fade from memory, leaving nothing but uneasiness.

She misses being able to sleep well.

It makes sense, with all that, that she is not awake when the knock comes, but she's still chagrined that she slept too long. She changes from her thick nightgown into her day clothes rapidly, bucking her sword to her belt, and rushes out the door, hurrying down to the dining room.

7. - Top - End - #367

Raven awakes with almost a blank memory. It takes him awhile to recall where he is and what happened yesterday, let alone whether it's good or bad. Finally he sits up, rubbing at his eyes and trying to drive away the tiredness. He notices that he had collapsed on the bed the last night, in the same clothes without taking anything off, and had slept like that in a stupor. Normally he would be disturbed but as he slowly analyzes the last day's events, the bleary-eyed youth has other concerns. "Dolly, is that you? I'll be coming right away... just one minute."

Raven searches around for a pot of cold water and for a moment, is shocked by how different his face seems. There is not a hint of the smile it used to carry easily, its place surrendered to something blank and inert. He tries to recover it but the expression comes out as a stupid, blinking grin. Finally taking a deep breath, he splashes himself with cold water and manages to wake out of the surreal stupor. He will meet others outside and proceed to meet Grauff.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

8. - Top - End - #368

Sooner or later, all the remaining residents of the trade post gather in the dining hall. Everyone visibly nervous and there are suspicious murmurs everywhere. Some of the guests and staff whisper that there were several other murders in the night, though this seems to be based mostly on hearsay. However, it seems as if you noticed a few more bloodstains on your way here.

Lastly, Lenna and her men arrive, grim and determined, accompanied by Grauff, who looks to have recovered remarkably well, though he isn't back in the scale armor that he had been trudging about in before.

He places his large fists on the table and glares about the room. Those of ye that know me, know I'm not one for wastin' breath. So I'll get this over with quickly. A beast's been stalkin' us, killin' us. But that ends now. When it attacked me, I got a good look at it. I recognized it's nature, and I know what it is and where it hides. So you're all going to wait here, while it's safe, while those of us who have the power to stop this will. At the ensuing uproar, the dwarf bangs his fist on the wooden surface. QUIET! I told ye that this is gonna be over soon! At his gesture, several of his employees begin laying out mugs of ale and bottles of wine on the table. While we fix this mess, drinks are on me. Enjoy.

The dwarf gestures to all of you and trudges into the kitchen, Lenna and her soldiers following.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck, with an uneasy glance to Miira and Raven, hesitates a moment before following the others as Grauff makes his way into the kitchen. "Gods...I am not ready for more of this..." he mutters in frustration.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira follows, a tense eagerness filling her step as she files into the room after Grauff. "You actually saw it?" she asks the dwarf. "Where is it?"

11. - Top - End - #371

Raven first stands with his mouth agape at the dwarf's bold words, then leans closer to Miira as he leaves to the kitchen. "You said you can sense evil spirits?" he discreetly points at the dwarf's back, while whispering. "See anything strange about him?" While Raven would be delighted to have this danger finally removed and intends to use the last shred of his magical power to assist the effort, it seems somehow.... too easy. The thought ties his stomach into an uneasy knot.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira is taken aback at the idea, but she follows Raven's suggestion, focusing her vision on Grauff.

13. - Top - End - #373

As Miira calls upon her holy gift, she does detect the presence of evil. However, as always, it takes time to pinpoint the source of the taint, and by the time she does, Grauff has left the bar area, slamming. She sees that the aura is coming from his direction and growing fainter, making it likely that he was the source.

Lenna is speaking now, to Miira. He says it's you. Drop your weapons and surrender, and we can finish all of this quietly. Lenna has a wand out, and all of the soldiers have drawn their swords.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

She hadn't actually expected to find anything, and she stares after Grauff in surprise. It takes her a moment to refocus on the soldiers, who are all armed. "He's lying," she says quietly, sad. They hadn't managed to drive the spirit away from anyone without killing them. She doesn't make any move towards her weapon, either to draw it or to drop it. "It's gotten to him."

15. - Top - End - #375

"What?" The shock that Raven faced right now was so great that his surprised question came out as more of a normal sentence, blank in its daze. "Lenna, don't do this," he says pleadingly. "We haven't done anything. Something is wrong with him. Don't do this." Raven's hands were away from his dagger - a puny weapon in his hands anyway - though as his neck hairs tingled with danger, a finger of his right hand twitched almost imperceptibly, as if tightening on an invisible crossbow trigger.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy - (1d20+5)[11]
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck takes a step to the side. "Miira?!" He looks to her, and then Lenna. "What makes you think it's her?? What's your proof; the dwarf's word?!" His fist is clenched, although he keeps himself from reaching for his club. He wasn't very good with it, anyway.

17. - Top - End - #377

Her? No, not her. All of you. I knew something didn't add up from the beginning. I was willing to accept the possibility that whatever you were up to didn't have anything to do with the murders, but the moment Grauff said it was you who attacked him, I knew it was true. Lenna waves her wand. If all you have to show me are words, then you're wasting your breath! Disarm yourselves now!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

It was getting a little too intense. Puck was starting to lose it. He didn't know what else to do at this point. "What's wrong with you, Lenna?!" He shouts in anger, staring deep into her eyes. "That's stupid, and you're just afraid! So afraid that you need a scapegoat! You want someone to blame!?" He glances back to Miira for a moment, a dour expression on his face. He quickly whirls back to Lenna. "Fine! I'm your man! I'm the one responsible for everything! I am the devil in the shadows, and I am walking death! I am evil incarnate! But they," He points back to Raven and Miira, "they're innocent!" He hesitates a moment. "They're weak! They are miserable! What I have done was by my own accord - do not taint my glory by associating them with my successes! Come now, I'm your man!" He looks ready to fight, although he doesn't reach for his club.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff: (1d20+5)[8]
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-09-19 at 03:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

"What in the nine hells!" Raven shouts, taking a step away. "That makes no sense! We were right there in the storeroom, on the other side of the building! How could we have possibly..." he leaves the unsaid hanging in the air. They really were on the other side of the building, several hallways and rooms away, and even though suspiciously (from a soldier's perspective) involved in a shady battle with intruders, but they were doubtlessly the furthest from anything involving Grauff. Raven doesn't know what else he can add against those charges but he does know that if they are attacked, he will sell his skin dearly. He makes no move to disarm himself, though it's obvious that the dagger at his belt isn't much of a threat anyway. He might be just forgetting about it.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

20. - Top - End - #380

Lenna grits her teeth. Stop this foolishness! I know that you didn't attack the dwarf personally, but clearly you've got someone or something carrying out these deeds for you. It makes sense. You're the only ones that don't fit in. There's something off about you. Furthermore, my briefing indicated that we were to investigate the possibility of sabotage in regards to the airship. And I still think it's convenient that you all happened to miraculously survive and make it here. She twitches nervously and gives you an almost pleading look. I want you to... to quit stalling already!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

While taking note of the word "sabotage", Puck doesn't comment on it. "Quit grasping for straws and get a hold of yourself! You're making connections that don't exist, because you're losing your nerve and can't find another way to keep yourself calm." His voice grows louder as he continues. "Someone or something? You don't even have an idea of what's even happening, yet you think that's good enough!? Wake up!"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

"Why would we sabotage our own airship?" Miira asks in evident confusion, before shaking her head. She was letting herself get off course. "Sergeant Haryl, I do know a little about what's going on, and it isn't us. My training dealt with this," though clearly I did not learn enough, "and I have a way to sense the taint of altavar—I think you would call them evil spirits in your language. I am sure there is one of them here, and that it is making people do these things."

23. - Top - End - #383

Raven raises his open hand slowly as Puck yells. That is not going to get them out of here. "We just don't want to fight you or be detained by you while you are so convinced that we did... whatever it is that you think we did," Raven throws Lenna the exact mimicry of her pleading look. His fingers are still twitched on an invisible trigger as he adds even more softly: "It isn't us."

For a moment an idea occurs to him. If this evil spirit, materializing or posessing others at its whim, could only be lured to somewhere... if perhaps it could become plain for everyone to see and then be destroyed in a trap of some kind... the thought lingers alluringly in Raven's mind. So dangerous and yet so tempting..."Look, listen - Lenna, what can I do to convince you that it wasn't us?"
    Last edited by KIDS; 2008-09-27 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti