New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Years Have Not Been Well to Thee

Stopped in his tracks as his arm was caught in the dwarf's grip, Hesiq turned to face him, attempting to shake his elbow free.

Miira answered quickly, and Hesiq nodded in agreement. "No game, sir. This is a serious incident, and that man must have kin somewhere that should be notified in addition to this...whatever it was...being hunted down for everyone's safety."

Hesiq continued to play the concerned citizen, and although he actually did believe the point of his words, at the moment, he was more interested in sussing out any clues to the dwarf's own game. A man whose first inclination is to suspect ulterior motives from someone attempting to help in such an obviously grievous situation, must have plenty of his own.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grauff allows Hesiq to pull his arm away, seeming uninterested in attempting to restrain him further. I think, he begins slowly and solemnly, with a voice that grinds like rock, that you're forgetting the situation that we find ourselves in. We're cut off. You won't find any law downstairs, and you won't find any of his family. All that's down there are a bunch of penned in steer. And you're about to make them stampede. It ain't pretty to have people panicking when they're trapped like rats. And it sure as hell ain't good for business. I could go to the soldiers holed up here. But they're not investigators, and they're not trained to deal with a mess like this. So my first choice, would be you. He nods to Miira. You. This with a glance at Ibrigil. You, as his gaze lands on Raven. And even you. He casts a vaguely unpleasant look at Hesiq. Then for a moment his gaze goes past him and he leans in, as though he were straining to hear a noise that is in no way evident. After this lapse, he speaks again. Thanks for hearing me out. If you clean up this mess, figuratively, and without alerting my clients any more than necessary, then I'll see that you're rewarded more than adequately. We can talk price if you want, but I need to know right now if you're interested.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

3. - Top - End - #63

For one moment Raven looks as if he will dart away - from the responsibility and expectation at least - then tries to calm down and look Grauff in the eye. That description of the situation is actually terrifying, but somehow it seems to be convincing. Think of it, he was doing the very same thing until it was said...

"And... and Puck," he remembers. "He went downstairs with Dolly. You're right, there is nothing to be gained from that panic. I will help with this... thing. Still we should consider sending someone... - I do not know how good are the odds of breaking through but someone more at home in the wilds might know...." Raven intentionally omits any expressions like 'would be glad to' or something, simply because they aren't true. But since he was tangled up in this already, somehow it seemed the best choice...
    Last edited by KIDS; 2007-12-26 at 10:37 AM.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Puck has Dolly seated with a blanket, he warns her "Stay here." and promises to check up on her again soon, as he makes his way back to the scene. Upon seeing the group in discussion with the dwarf, he makes his way over to them without hesitation.

"...Dolly should be alright, but I think she'll be probably want someone to look after her. Having gone in there for her must have been...horrifying. I...I don't even think I'm completely well, myself."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-12-27 at 01:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira's distress fades into a solemn expression as she looks at Grauff, looking away only to meet the others' gazes as they speak. Of course, he was right. They didn't have anyone here who could come through the snow; they had no way to contact someone else, that someone else could not have come even if they did tell them, and there wasn't really anyone these people could rely on with the wisdom to solve this and protect them without fail. It was a pity. Frightening, too—she wasn't used to all this responsibility falling on her shoulders. For a fleeting moment, she wishes she were back home, where this would not be her concern alone; then she rebukes herself. She had to take the lot she was given and do the best she could.

Besides, she wasn't alone, exactly, but... Grauff was hard for her to read, but he did seem more concerned with gold than was really healthy. Hesiq was much the same, although she knew (and liked) him somewhat better. Ibrigil and Puck were both nice enough, but she had no idea if they had any sort of training for this; she thought not. Raven, she knew had not, but he wouldn't give up on her, either. She isn't alone, and the thought buoys her her. "Yes. I'll do whatever I can," she assents firmly, deflating a little as she adds, "although I don't really know how to begin." She looks about at the others as if for ideas.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #66

Hesiq Tarook

The dwarf's point was valid enough. Fear bred suspicion, and suspicions bred mobs. Snowbound, a frightened and suspicious--and likely superstitious--mob would certainly make their forced stay here much worse.

With Raven and Miira already having agreed to Grauff's suggestion, Hesiq bobbed his head as he regarded the spattered floor, then looked to the dwarf. "Alright. Although I have to agree with Miira on not having any special expertise in this...sort of thing, I'd much rather be on the hunt than simply being one of the hunted." He didn't seem entirely convinced this was a desired option, but he wasn't going anywhere for a while; and there was the issue of his dwindling coin. His main coin pouch had gone...somewhere, during the crash, and the reserve he kept in the soles of his shoes wasn't much.

"Gil and Puck can speak for themselves, but until they decide, I expect you'll be forthcoming with information related to this task, and will be agreeable to requests for the use of mundane items--tools, containers, and the like--as may be needed." Hesiq folded his arms and pensively scratched at his chin with a fingertip.

"Given the circumstances, we may also need to have access to more than just the visitor's areas. But, we'll see where the trail leads before concerning ourselves with that."

7. - Top - End - #67

[/COLOR]Grauff quickly shuts the door behind Puck after allowing him in. [COLOR="darkorange"]Don't send anyone, he says firmly. Until I've got this bastards skull on my fireplace, no one leaves.

He reaches into his fur coat and tosses a set of keys at Myrial. Here's where you start. I just discovered someone's been messing with my storeroom. They took a fur coat and some winter clothing, and they weren't too clean about it.

He peers suspiciously at Hesiq. I'll decide what you need and what you don't. Just remember that nothing is free, and we'll be alright.

I have to go make sure my guests are calm and unsuspecting. That'll probably be keeping me busy the rest of the evening, so if you're wondering anything else, ask now.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-01-02 at 04:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Hesiq shrugs at the dwarf's thorny response.

"I suppose it's up to you to decide how soon, how efficiently and if this matter is solved. I, for one, won't be spending my own coin to help you sort out an issue that is, for all intents and purposes, your problem. Be as tightfisted as you wish, we'll see how things shape up. If we need materials and you're not forthcoming, we'll just have to ignore that lead and hope it isn't critical." Hesiq shrugs again, more mildly and while parting his hands in a helpless gesture.

"That aside, for now, I think it would be useful for you to describe the visitors that occupied the other rooms off this hall, as well as providing some details on the magewright's intended purpose in being here, where he hailed from, anything you know about his reputation and general business dealings. Also, is there an attic in this place? It may be useful to have a look through the vents from a decent vantage point in case there might still be blood trails in the snow. If cold-weather goods have been taken, and for the moment we might as well assume a connection, it would seem to indicate someone expecting to have to deal with it. Oh, and have one of your employees give a quick check to all the exits, windows and any chutes, included, and report to one of us on anything out of the norm."

9. - Top - End - #69

Seeing that Hesiq has things quite under control (as much it is possible at this time), Raven turns to other matters. "Come Miira, let us check our own rooms and gather what we need," he says, heading down the hall to pick up his dagger, backpack and what little trinkets could be useful to them. He is mostly silent until they have gained some distance and a closed door between them and the rest of the group. "Do you think Grauff could be involved in all this more than he had let us know?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    assuming that we have more than one room
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira catches the keys and follows Raven back to the room, still holding them on her hand, and feeling both puzzled and a little put out. For Hesiq and Grauff to be disagreeing over money at a time like this was hardly believable. She hadn't caught all of what they were talking about—sometimes, she thought people here only said half of what they meant—but she hoped they wouldn't really let it interfere with what they were doing, as some of their words almost seemed to say.

Once in the room, she goes to her bag, rummaging through it to get her mail and sword out; the idea that Raven had been making an excuse doesn't occur to her. She pauses and straightens, mail in hand, to look at him as he speaks. "I don't think so... I can't see him doing anything like this. But..." She trails off and looks down, frowning. "I can't really see anyone doing anything like this," she admits at last. "I don't know."

After a moment, she asks a question that had been on her mind since they got here. "Would he really have refused to take us in last night? If we didn't have money, I mean?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck

Puck makes no comment on what he thinks about Miira's question."I'm certainly not going to jump to any conclusions about who is involved! This whole situation is crazy..." He ponders silently. "Who could have done such a horrible thing?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-06 at 05:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

"I guess so," Raven reclutanly takes the offer of gossip. "He must have seen a whole lot of things and all kinds of travelers from running this place, more likely. Surely being tough pays off for him." Raven grits his teeth involuntarily when he says that. He might have been tougher and more decisive in his past and he would have had something better than merry hope and fey insight now. Luck always seemed on the run, but one day it would stop, and then...

Seeing Miira donning her mail he respectfully offers to help. They were close or not very close to each other, depending how one measured it, but somehow it seemed like a small and good gesture. Once they are ready, he leads the way back to the hall, waiting for whomever wants to take his things too. "Where can we start then? Checking all the rooms could cause some unrest, yet it appears a good way to be sure no one is hiding anything..."
    Last edited by KIDS; 2008-01-07 at 02:48 PM.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira accepts Raven's help with the armor with a small nod of thanks, mulling over his words; she certainly hadn't meant them as gossip. If even Raven—who was normally cheerful and optimistic—thought the dwarf might have left them out in the blizzard during the night... but maybe he was wrong. She hoped so.

She follows him back out into the hallway. "The storeroom, maybe?" she guesses, removing the keys from her small pouch and trying to think. She had to reason things out slowly, she knew; nothing ever went well for her if she didn't. "If somebody took warm clothes, maybe they were going outside. It must be the same... person that did this." She had almost said thing; maybe she should have. She didn't really know a word to express what this was, not in this language, at least.

14. - Top - End - #74

Ibrigil Mesto

Ibrigil remained silent, doing no more than nodding in response to Grauff's question concerning their willingness to investigate. He found it difficult to hear the continuing conversation, so loudly was his heart thudding in his ears. This is crazy. You know it is. What truck would you want with something that could--that would--do this to a man? If you want to 'experience the world,' you don't start with it's underbelly. Or its assparts. You're in over your head. This isn't a tale in a scroll; and the end of the story just might kill you.

He heard a sniffling horse-like snort that only could have come from Dolly. "I can't just do nothing, either," he muttered. He blinked and looked around, as if trying to discern what had changed while his thoughts were elsewhere.

Grauff mentioned the storeroom and the missing items. "Maybe someone else should check out the storeroom." He smiled weakly as he remembered Grauff's threat; but his smile faded as the dwarf's expression remained as hard-bitten as ever. "I'll--I'll--is there any way to get up to the roof from inside? Or is there only exterior access? I'd like to see if there are any tracks in the snow. Keep an eye out for puddles on floors or sills that might indicate a previously-opened door or window."
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2008-01-07 at 11:42 PM.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck

While flustered, Puck stays silent. He seems to be having a hard time determining what to do - and is perhaps even a little dependent on others making any decisions. He moves his mouth, but no audible words are heard - he continues whispering to himself a word or two before pausing again and then scratching his head in frustration. He seems oblivious to what the rest of the group is currently discussing.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-13 at 05:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Ibrigil Mesto

"Or if not the roof, then an attic or loft window, like Hesiq said. I'd want to get a good view of outside without pushing open a door and maybe brushing away somebody's tracks."

He gestured toward the room. "On the other hand, I don't expect that whoever--whatever--did that is a common burglar looking to make a quick getaway."

Ibrigil leaned back against the doorframe and his eyes unfocused. "Several more things that would be useful to know: are any of the room's furnishings missing? Who contacted the man and where did he come from? Did he have any luggage with him? And did he converse with anyone since he arrived?" His attention returned and focused on Grauff. "I don't expect you have all the answers to these questions; but as the proprietor, I hope you can point us to someone who would know."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Huh, ya don't start small I see. And don't have much experience negotiatin' neither. The last is added in a quieter tone as though it were intended that Hesiq and Ibrigil don't hear it, even though the words are perfectly audible. Grauff pauses for a moment and his gaze darts to the now closed room that the three stands at, as though some occupant had just opened the door to emerge. Seeing it undisturbed, he nods with quiet satisfaction.

Alright. In this hall there's Lord Kaileth and his wife in the suite, they're a couple aHouse Orien fops. Then we've got Hardin, a mercenary who I don't know... Hibbin, scribe of House Sivis, he's just about a permanent resident of this place... Ama, merchant... Haryl, another merchant... I think that's it. They're all on the other end though. Althis asked for the most isolated room I had and he got it. Said he wanted quiet so he could work.

Kelthis himself is a Brelander. This is the first time he came here so I can't tell you much. He was kinda scrawny, seemed to be in bad health, but didn't give me the impression he was about to be murdered. Came here on my request, his name popped up when I was asking about someone in his line of work and so I sent him a message. He came here to discuss a possible contract with another of my guests. He frowns. Guess we'll need someone else now. Damn.

Alright then. Continue down this hall and turn right twice. Go upstairs and you can reach the roof. One of the keys I gave to that woman friend of yours will unlock the trapdoor, the small one made of brass. Check the exits yourself though. That's what I'm paying you for.

I didn't notice anything missing, no. I think I mentioned that I'm the one that brought him here... he had a couple carrying cases, I didn't notice if they were still in the room or not... and uhh... let's see. I think he stayed in his room mostly. He was working on something and I don't think he talked with anyone. You'd have to ask Dolly though, she pokes her nose in my guests business more than I do.

He begins stumping toward the staircase, eyes narrowed. I just know I'm going to have my hands full. If you have any other questions, make them quick.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-01-16 at 12:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

"Great," Raven brightens up a bit at the good start, despite the horrid reasons. "Oh, just one thing. You sad he came here to discuss a possible contract with one of your guests. Which one was it...?" He recalls the conversation and shouting from downstairs, but it is still good to know. Otherwise, he has no questions and will gladly get started on the roof after Grauff returns to his business. "I wonder if we should take Dolly with us. Her insight could be of some help, but I would hate to get her into danger, she is just a..." Raven raises his hands in a gesture of helplessness and lets it rest. It is quite unclear whether he means shifter, female or child.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

19. - Top - End - #79

Grauff rolls his eyes. What, you mean ya didn't notice? He sure as hell made enough of a stink about it. Seeming to have had enough of the interrogation, he stumps down the stairway.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck

Confused, Puck scratches his head. "I don't know what he's talking about..." He takes a moment to think upon it, eventually giving up. "...but if we're gonna bother Dolly with questions, leave it to me - you fellas just...eh...I don't know, try to figure somethin' out, eh?"

With that, he makes his way back to where he left Dolly, thinking of how he could delicately ask for any information she might be able to provide.

21. - Top - End - #81

Ibrigil Mesto

"I, for one, would feel best if we stayed together--at least in pairs. Before we start doing interviews, I think we should assess the physical situation. Hesiq, are you interested in checking out the attic or roof with me? Anyone else with me?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

"Right," Raven mouths to himself watching Grauff's back as the man departs. Looking at Puck, his eyebrows rise questioningly. "You know, Ibrigil is right. I better go with you - just for safety. We will get back to you on the attic when we're done," with that said, he heads after Puck, observing the patrons downstairs and whether they seem to be suspicious of the happenings above them. He won't ask any questions first, though.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

Miira is part of the way to the stairs down, looking back and forth between the others as they discuss what to do—she'd been going to investigate the storeroom, but she would need the keys to do that. So would investigating the roof, which was why she had stopped. They couldn't do both at the same time.

She makes up her mind. "I'll go with you, Ibrigil." She hooks the ring of keys back on her belt. "We can look at the storeroom after."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Puck

While he rolls his eyes at Raven's comment about safety, Puck does not express himself verbally. "Come on, let's go already."

25. - Top - End - #85

Hesiq Tarook

Staring at the open doorway, Hesiq was somewhat lost in thought, though he remained well aware of the various exchanges. With Miira and Ibrigil ready to check above, Hesiq takes a step toward the doorway and slips it shut. With no practical means of obscuring the blood stains that had made their way into the hall--in some part due to their own tracking--Hesiq resignedly runs a hand across the side of his face.

"Let's see what's up there. Keep an eye out for blood drops or such along the way."

26. - Top - End - #86

Ibrigil Mesto

"Alright, then. Let's go" At Hesiq's command, he took note of the hallway floor for the first time. He grimaced at the mess that they had made of the area immediately outside the room. So much for desiring to be painfully careful about signs and indications. Nevertheless, he kept his eyes on the floor and walls as they made their way to the access door.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Except for the dusty windows, there isn't any abundant source of lights in the shadowy hallway. The mahogany doors are closed, and no sound comes from them or anywhere else as Hesiq and those with him follow Grauff's directions - except of course the creaks and groans of the floorboards beneath their feet.

After a couple of turns they readily find a narrow staircase that looks to have seen little use, judging by the cobwebs that have developed at the tunnel that it stops at. The ladder at the wall of the tunnel only consists of a half-dozen steps before it opens up into a trapdoor which Miira's key unlocks.

Outside upon the flat roof, there is snow everywhere. The air is crisp with the chill of winter which pierces through your clothes to cut at your skin.

Downstairs, the atmosphere is possibly a bit more subdued than it was before. Grauff seems to have concocted some story about Kelthis misbehaving against Dolly and being confined in his quarters however, so nobody seems particularly alarmed or uneasy. On passing, Grauff explains to Puck and Raven that he has given Dolly the day off and sent her to her room.

28. - Top - End - #88

Raven is pleased to see that the common room shows no agitation; at his face, this fact appears more like something of an aura, a first impression hidden behind the half-elven face. "Good job... can you tell us where her room is?" he asks Grauff, eager to continue on their path. Truth be told, it is Puck's idea to ask her whatever might be relevant, not Raven's, but he has developed a certain trust for the man and doesn't ask undue questions yet.

A bit mournfully, his glance moves over the people gathered in the room. Before the day was over, would someone else be suspecting, or in danger? Fortunately for them, they all had something to keep themselves busy with, and boredom wouldn't send them wandering through the inn.
    - Khorn'Tal
    Kalar Eshanti

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Miira

As she climbs out first, Miira pushes aside the snow above the trapdoor, packing it down enough that they can stand easily, and shivers, looking about and tucking her hands under her arms to keep them warm. They weren't really dressed for this, she thinks ruefully; her mail shirt in particular chills her. "Do you see anything?" she asks, glancing about aimlessly to see if there are any footprints to find on the roof.

Carefully, she walks towards one of the roof's edges, peering off it to see if any tracks are evident in the snow on the ground.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

As Puck is about to ask for Dolly, Raven beats him to the punch. Letting him finish, Puck idlely glances around. "Even if she was a bit shaken up, we really think she can help out - even if just a little"