New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm missing some questions...
    Do we have to pre-buy specific spell components, or does GP just convert to spell components?

healing potions 50gp?

3. I'm tempted to allow it, but I wonder if it's a Spelljamer thing to give feats through backgrounds? Is this background meant to be balanced with the vanilla ones or are all Spelljamer PCs supposed to pick those extra powerful ones? I think I would feel pressured to compensate the other players somehow.
    Spelljammer and Dragonlance included this, and I think the 2024 5.5e (or whatever) may include specific feats with backgrounds as well. Since backgrounds usually give 2 skills, a RP/fluff/society feature, and maybe a language or tool use, a feat is a step up even if it's a bad feat.

Do you want me to set up a Discord server?
    Last edited by J-H; 2023-08-26 at 08:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

First! Or, well, second. Since the DM is first.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Do we have to pre-buy specific spell components, or does GP just convert to spell components?
    dangelo said "you don't have to specify," so I don't think we need to pre-buy spell components.

I'm tempted to allow it, but I wonder if it's a Spelljamer thing to give feats through backgrounds? Is this background meant to be balanced with the vanilla ones or are all Spelljamer PCs supposed to pick those extra powerful ones? I think I would feel pressured to compensate the other players somehow.
    Spelljammer and Dragonlance included this, and I think the 2024 5.5e (or whatever) may include specific feats with backgrounds as well. Since backgrounds usually give 2 skills, a RP/fluff/society feature, and maybe a language or tool use, a feat is a step up even if it's a bad feat.
    I don't mind Aelki having Toughness. Someone having more HP benefits us all.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

I realised that Bori is probably slightly wary of artificers, he's not actively hostile though.

Edit: I'm not bothered by that background either.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-08-27 at 02:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Zombie

The background is fine with me.

I guess we're getting 1 healing potion each then? I'll add it to my character sheet.

5. - Top - End - #35

Totally forgot to mention that Bori sensing his surroundings us doing Divine Sense just beyond 60ft away then walking within range so that it's slightly less obstructive. Some will notice the Infernal tarantula.

6. - Top - End - #36

ElfWarriorGuy

healing potions 50gp?
    GP converts to components conveniently, even as you find loot within the dungeon.

However I'd prefer if players didn't buy unlimited Healing Potions during character creation in this campaign - That's because you can buy potions in Barovia, from a limited stash and for a higher price.

Do you want me to set up a Discord server?
    Thank you for the attention, but I should be able do it soon - since all the vital information and dice rolls are here, it will be really just a chatroom. I'll send an invite link to your PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    I guess we're getting 1 healing potion each then? I'll add it to my character sheet.
    Yep, for starters!

7. - Top - End - #37

ElfWarriorGuy

Loving the hate on Strahd. Death to the Devil!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Loving the hate on Strahd. Death to the Devil!
    We're gonna crush him. :D

9. - Top - End - #39
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I don't mind the Background either.

If you felt really, really guilty about it, dangelo, you could the rest of us a bonus half-Feat.

But it's cool as is.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I like how differently we treat the fortune teller when we speak to her. It says a lot about our characters.

Yikkol is demanding and self-obsessed. Herbert is unsure but gives her the benefit of the doubt. Bori is open even as his tone turns bitter. Neither Zinro nor Rua even talk to her. And Rue does not disguise her hate.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, here are the locations of the treasures again:

1. "The Marionette. Ye must look at the top of the highest tower to find what ye need."
    2. "The Innocent. A brothof light to a brother of shadows. Down below, where he rests in his tomb, is where you shall find the second treasure."
    3. "The Tempter! I see a secret place—a vault of temptation, hidden behind a woman of great beauty."
    4. "I see The Beast in his own lair. When ye wish to face the Devil, look for his dark throne."

EDIT (November 2023): The last fortune is no longer true. We will instead find Strahd in the Hall of Bones.

I vote to find the Marionette's treasure first. We can climb up the side of the castle to the highest tower and fight our way down one treasure richer. That seems a better idea than doing the expected and going through the front entrance.

But ultimately I'll go along with what the party thinks is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Eva
    I have potions of magical healing that I will sell ye for a fair price - unlike Bildrath, that miserable shopkeep - and other treasures in the bottom of my trunk.
    dangelo, what are these other treasures she's selling?
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-11-30 at 08:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I vote to find the Marionette's treasure first. We can climb up the side of the castle to the highest tower and fight our way down one treasure richer. That seems a better idea than doing the expected and going through the front entrance.
    Whilst that's genuinely a fantastic idea, and I agree as a player, Zinro has a fear of heights and would be absolutely against such a plan

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Whilst that's genuinely a fantastic idea, and I agree as a player, Zinro has a fear of heights and would be absolutely against such a plan
    Aw, okay. Basement first, then?

Also: how did the Wizard beat my Perception? 😭

14. - Top - End - #44

That sounds like a great plan! Bori is okay at athletics and has misty step, it'll still be a long slow climb though. I'm assuming we all have tope? If someone can fly/spider climb etc fingers crossed the tower is <300ft tall.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    That sounds like a great plan! Bori is okay at athletics and has misty step, it'll still be a long slow climb though. I'm assuming we all have tope? If someone can fly/spider climb etc fingers crossed the tower is <300ft tall.
    Yeah, I think most of the packs have rope. Yikkol has rope. Yikkol can climb at 30 ft, so she’ll be about twice as fast the others.

The main problem is that our Wizard is afraid of heights. We could split the party, but that’s probably a bad idea.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-08-28 at 08:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert doesn't have Athletics, wears full plate, and has no flying magic. I don't think we can make it up the tower without some shenanigans such as the use of a Portable Hole. Dimension Door only allows carrying one passenger, Arcane Gate is 6th level, and I don't think we have a Genie warlock. Other ideas, maybe a flying summon?

I will pick up 2 healing potions in case I go down or need to feed to others. Last night in my BG2 game, the party cleric used a potion + healing word to top himself off really fast after Nat20ing his death save.

I suppose if we are going to be polite guests, we should go in the front door, and then we can look and see which option we find first. There may be more areas to search under the castle than over it.

17. - Top - End - #47

ElfWarriorGuy

On Dragonlance and Spelljamer Backgrounds: If you guys are fine with it, I see no problem!

dangelo, what are these other treasures she's selling?
    Those would be any regular mundane item you might need in the middle of your adventure, like rope, torches, rations, anything a general store would sell. Bildrath sells the same stuff for 10x the price.

I wonder how the proud noble Drow will put that in words

I'm assuming each of the PCs have an Explorer's Pack at least. Keep in mind that climbing the walls of the castle has a high DC and requires a climber's kit.

For better visualization, this is the front view of Castle Ravenloft and the height of its towers written down:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert doesn't have Athletics, wears full plate, and has no flying magic. I don't think we can make it up the tower without some shenanigans such as the use of a Portable Hole. Dimension Door only allows carrying one passenger, Arcane Gate is 6th level, and I don't think we have a Genie warlock. Other ideas, maybe a flying summon?
    I think you and the Wizard are the only ones with a chance of getting a flying summon. But yeah. It sounds that we aren't gonna get up there as a party.

Yikkol could probably climb up and take a look through the window. She'd definitely be the fastest.

I suppose if we are going to be polite guests, we should go in the front door, and then we can look and see which option we find first. There may be more areas to search under the castle than over it.
    Oh, Yikkol's not gonna be a polite guest. The moment she sees him, she'll shoot.

I will pick up 2 healing potions in case I go down or need to feed to others. Last night in my BG2 game, the party cleric used a potion + healing word to top himself off really fast after Nat20ing his death save.
    Sounds good. Yikkol has four, so she won't be picking up any more.

Those would be any regular mundane item you might need in the middle of your adventure, like rope, torches, rations, anything a general store would sell. Bildrath sells the same stuff for 10x the price.

I'm assuming each of the PCs have an Explorer's Pack at least. Keep in mind that climbing the walls of the castle has a high DC and requires a climber's kit.
    Oh, cool! Could Yikkol buy a climber's kit from Eva, or would that be metagaming?

Aside: Yikkol has a burglar's pack instead. Lemme know if that's okay or if I should switch it out.

For better visualization, this is the front view of Castle Ravenloft and the height of its towers written down:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oo. Yeah, that's tall. Even with Yikkol's climb speed and Cunning Action, she'd need 4 combat rounds to scale to the tip.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ok, I finally have some time to finalize things. Rolling for starting wealth, then will edit post with more information: (5d4)[13] x100

20. - Top - End - #50

Aelfi is probably the best source of flight/spider climb but I imagine swapping infusions is a long rest thing? Good for a backup plan if we take a mauling and need to long rest.

21. - Top - End - #51

Rue can also climb the castle in about four combat rounds (45 climb speed plus Dash). She would do it if the party asked, but she would rather not be alone up there.

If there are no objections, I'd like to take one Potion of Greater Healing and one normal. That's my 200 gp.

And rolling Perception:

(1d20+6)[19]

22. - Top - End - #52

Plus Arcana:

(1d20+5)[10]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Rue can also climb the castle in about four combat rounds (45 climb speed plus Dash). She would do it if the party asked, but she would rather not be alone up there.
    So that's three party members able to climb. That's not bad. Splitting the party might be a viable idea.

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    If there are no objections, I'd like to take one Potion of Greater Healing and one normal. That's my 200 gp.
    Go for it.

24. - Top - End - #54

Splitting the party might be a viable idea..
    In a very hostile environment, with at least two party members with separation anxiety, what could go wrong!?

25. - Top - End - #55

Posted IC.

Purchased a healing potion and greater healing potion. With regards to healing, Rua has Revivify and Spare the Dying. Nothing prepared in between those two at the moment. A total of 2 healing potions and a greater healing potion now.

With regards to mundane gear, Rua is a trained soldier, explorer, and mercenary. I think it would make sense if he had a bunch of mundane gear in his bag of holding. Would that be okay or would that be overboard? I'm thinking block and tackle, lantern, chalk, crowbar, ink and scrolls to make maps, hourglass and magnifying glass, manacles, etc. As a cartographer, he can make maps and also contribute his Perception check to the group's awareness while traveling.

A few thoughts:

1. Is Rua too close to Rue for everyone else? If so, I can change his nickname to Asha (second part of his last name). I may just do that so the DM doesn't have to deal with the close names.

2. Not a question, more a comment. Rua can be on the frontline, Revivify the cleric or paladin as needed, help with saving throws 5/day, has Expertise in thieves' tools, and can hand out Guidance on ability checks. He's not that great at a distance, since he's mostly going to be in the Guardian armor.

3. Dangelo, I can say that the armor is linked to a bionoid crystal that Rua carries in his Bag of Holding. So in order to don the armor, he puts this crystal to his forehead or chest or something and it comes forth. Whenever I doff the armor, it goes into the Bag of Holding. So if anything destroys the Bag of Holding, then my armor, assuming it's in there, is also destroyed. That would be a bad day indeed lol.

I was going to list all the gear I wanted to purchase but I need to get to sleep. Figured I'd ask first as well.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the IC posts are beginning to be temporally confusing, which I guess is just part of PBP. I'm just gonna assume we've decided to stay in the carriage and just gotten out.

In a very hostile environment, with at least two party members with separation anxiety, what could go wrong!?
    Lots of things. But things going wrong is part of the fun, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    1. Is Rua too close to Rue for everyone else? If so, I can change his nickname to Asha (second part of his last name). I may just do that so the DM doesn't have to deal with the close names.
    Don't feel pressured, but yeah—it is pretty close to Rue. Asha seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    2. Not a question, more a comment. Rua can be on the frontline, Revivify the cleric or paladin as needed, help with saving throws 5/day, has Expertise in thieves' tools, and can hand out Guidance on ability checks. He's not that great at a distance, since he's mostly going to be in the Guardian armor.
    We can definitely split the party, then. Cuz you can picklock and trapfind, too.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-08-28 at 11:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Lots of things. But things going wrong is part of the fun, isn't it?
    I'm all for mayhem. My only actual reservation is causing unwanted extra work for dangelo. Other than that I'm game for anything.
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-08-29 at 03:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

@The Commander: Zinro not learning Fly is fluffy as hell and I love it!

29. - Top - End - #59

Super excited by the quality RP posts, everyone. I love dungeon crawls, but I love intense melodrama even more. Put them together?

MAGIC.

I am in favour of changing Rua to Asha, if it isn't a huge inconvenience or annoyance.

As a character, Rue could be convinced to split the party. As a player, I would be concerned that it'll be a looooong time before we re-convene (especially as it's PbP pace). Which waters down the narrative a little.

30. - Top - End - #60

Ok, we'll go with Asha moving forward .

For gear, here is what I had in mind, based on Asha's star-jetting military and mercenary life:

Military/Mercenary
    1. Blanket (lol)
    2. A couple of Chains, Locks, and Manacles
    3. Dagger
    4. Healer's Kit
    5. Portable Ram
    6. Shovel
    7. Signal Whistle
    8. Two-Person Tent
    9. String and Bells to set up perimeter
    10. Ball Bearings and Caltrops (10 bags each?)

Exploration
    1. Block and Tackle x4
    2. Bullseye Lantern
    3. Chalk x5
    4. Climber's Kit
    5. Crowbar
    6. Hammer
    7. Silk Rope x2
    8. Ink Pen/Ink x2/Parchment x10 to make maps
    9. Hourglass
    10. Magnifying Glass
    11. Map Cases x5
    12. Pouches x5 and Sacks x10

All would be in his Bag of Holding. Does this make sense? Too much? Let me know.

With regards to splitting the party, I've never played in Ravenloft, but given the tone Dangelo is going for, and the comments on difficulty, I don't think we should open up with splitting the party. Plus it could be difficult to do over PBP. That said, it is good to know that we could if we had to.

EDIT: Forgot, I rolled 1300gp. Purchased two 300gp diamonds for Revivify, and the two potions of healing from Eva. So that leaves me at 500gp, which I can use to purchase the mundane gear (I think, will need to calculate).
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2023-08-29 at 07:49 AM.