Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 13 HP: 103/103
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Yikkol considers her companions's words with a scowl.

"Fine, fine. We'll pretend to be guests of this egotistic bloodsucker and then we'll find the treasures when he goes to sleep. Should we try the basement first, then? It'd be closer to ground-level."

I think we will know better what course to take once we've met with Strahd and have seen what there is to be seen.

As the carriage progresses, Asha does his best to peer out the carriage windows. The height, cliffside, chokepoint at the stone bridge, all of it made for a perfect location to man a castle. And yet, there was no one manning the castle as far as Asha could see, and moreso...

I don't see or sense any magical defenses. There's no arcane barriers or traps to prevent infiltration. The castle looks formidable, but it's almost inviting anyone to go in.

Zinro speaks up, I believe, in keeping with etiquette, we should approach and knock on the front door. I understand there are some here with a personal grudge against the lord of this castle, but we should remain polite and accept whatever hospitality we are given. As I mentioned before, if you wish, I can lead the conversation.

As good a plan as any for right now, Asha says as Zinro uses magic to make them more presentable.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

“Yes, all right,” Yikkol says to the drow nobleman. “But if this goes poorly, I told you so.”

As Zinro knocks, Yikkol glances at everyone else and silently points up to the highest tower of Castle Ravenloft. They’d found the location of the first treasure.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

ON THE RIDE UP
    Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    As the coach sets off he pulls out to the side finally noticing the form of Rue perched on top. He gives a little wave and calls up to her.

Fancy a snack? Home made this morning. Tasty if I say so myself. He pauses for an answer and tosses up the little bag if Rue is interested.
    Surprised out her (extremely dark and self-absorbed) reverie, Rue looks down at the little cake with some mistrust. She reached down with her long spindly arm and picked it up. Her fingers, too, are almost impossibly long and moved with dexterous ease.

She smelled the cake. Looked at the rider.

"I do not eat much. And even then, almost always something I've just caught. Live and raw and steaming."

She paused and frowned. Realized that was not a very smooth conversational opener.

No wonder you have no friends.

She tried a friendly smile. It had been some time since she smiled (or had a friend) and she did not do a very good job.

"Thank you," she said, "I have no eaten a proper baked good in many years."

She took a little bite. And then another. She nibbled at it as they rode.

We're not ones for being driven about, Nethis likes the feel of the wind when she's here. It isn't quite clear what he means by "here" Grew up nomads on open plains. Only one town in the whole place. We'd not been inside a wall-house until I was twelve. Still prefer the outdoors. Can't complain about feather beds though.

What about you? Prefer travelling taking the world instead of being in a box as well?
    Rue eyed the rider with some suspicion. She was not used to people just making conversation with her like she was anyone.

"Preference does come to it. I wander because I have no home. And if ever I stop to make a home, I am either driven out because...."

She bared her fangs for a moment before retracting them again.

"...of that. Or because horrible misfortune follows me and destroys everyone I care for. But..." she smiled a bit, to herself, it was more successful than her last attempt. "...for all that, I would rather be outside rather than in a box."

She paused.

"Nethis? Is this the name of your steed? I've seen his like before, but many, many years ago and far, far from here. I've never seen such a creature tamed and brought to harness. How came such a thing? Is this common where you are from?"

She stopped. That was maybe too many questions.

AT THE CASTLE
    Rue jumped down when the carriage stopped and examined the entrance. When focused, she walked almost like a beast: hunched over and nearly on all fours. She seemed to scent the air as she walked.

She follows Yikkol's eyes up to the tower. She could climb up there. Part of her wanted to, thinking maybe she could quickly grab the treasure and bring it back to her new-found companions.

But she feared that, if she went anywhere alone here, Strahd would find her. Instantly. And she wasn't sure what would happen then.

"This is going to go badly," she said to Yikkol. "And no one will blame you. It will be my fault. Strahd knows I'm here, I'm sure of it. He's been waiting for me. It was selfish of me to allow you all to accompany me."
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    "This is going to go badly," she said to Yikkol. "And no one will blame you. It will be my fault. Strahd knows I'm here, I'm sure of it. He's been waiting for me. It was selfish of me to allow you all to accompany me."
    “Strahd knows all of us are here,” said Yikkol, oblivious to Rue’s familial conundrum and dour mood. “Hence the carriage ride.”

“In any case, I came of my own volition. We’re both accompanying each other.” She grins, and Rue can see her tusks and teeth. “Together, Strahd is as good as dead.”

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

ON THE RIDE UP
    "Thank you," she said, "I have no eaten a proper baked good in many years."

She took a little bite. And then another. She nibbled at it as they rode.
    Bori grins widely as she nibbles. I was used to this one's feeding habits for years, don't worry about it. I'll try for something a little more to your tastes next time.

Rue eyed the rider with some suspicion. She "Nethis? Is this the name of your steed? I've seen his like before, but many, many years ago and far, far from here. I've never seen such a creature tamed and brought to harness. How came such a thing? Is this common where you are from?"
    Bori's eyes twinkle and Nethis almost seems to be grinning. She's not tame, we're bonded. Our spirits are linked via my mask. It allows us to work together more closely in life. When we die our souls together have the strength to return from the Realm of the Dead and guide the living.

His hand reaches down to pat Nethis' neck subconsciously and a look of buried grief briefly passes across his face.

In the plains tribes, every halfling adolescent is bonded to a companion. I was training to be a Mask Weaver when my Mark appeared and off I toddled to join.House Ghallanda in the lands of town-dwellers. Both do honourable work serving the community, mind. Ghallanda just miss out the last past of "mind, body and spirit" and charge for their work. That's enough gassing from me though, we're here!

AT THE CASTLE
    Bori makes no move to dismount as the others step out of the coach. He nods approval of Zinro's plan to take the lead when meeting this creature Strahd.

I've no airs or graces to speak of, but I've spent years talking soldiers out of taking chunks out of each other. If things get tense I'll lend a hand, try to lower the temperature a bit.

He rolls up his sleeves in a manner more reminiscent of a bar tender than a soldier. A shining blue-green pattern draws all eyes to his.left forearm, giving off waves of calm and comfort even at a distance. When the inevitable happens I can provide a limited sanctuary against offensive magics if folk can get in close.

Spoiler: Mark of Hospitality
    Show
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-08-31 at 05:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

He rolls up his sleeves in a manner more reminiscent of a bar tender than a soldier. A shining blue-green pattern draws all eyes to his.left forearm, giving off waves of calm and comfort even at a distance. When the inevitable happens I can provide a limited sanctuary against offensive magics if folk can get in close.
    Yikkol, ever the pessimist, immediately sidles up to the halfling.

7. - Top - End - #37

Rue listened as the others discussed strategy. Until she met others, she had a very simple plan: run into the castle at top speed until she stood before the Devil and attack with her every ounce of fury until one of them was dead forever.

These are smart people. And their strategy makes it more likely Strahd will be the one doing the dying.

Why then did it feel so wrong? That someone it robbed the enterprise of its purity?

"I just realized," she said to Bori, "That until this very moment, I wanted to die fighting Strahd more than I wanted to kill him."

Pause.

"I think, perhaps, that's what I've always wanted."

Pause.

"Perhaps even what I still want."

Longer pause.

"That means I must change or perish. And that means, no matter the outcome of this endeavour, I die tonight. And either someone other than me walks away. No no one does."

8. - Top - End - #38

Asha

Asha stands, hands clasped behind his back, listening to the others as they await a response to Zinro's knock at the door. Diplomacy is an integral part of war, but the halfling riding the dinosaur is surely the strangest diplomat Asha has ever seen. In any event, he doubts that Lord Zinro or Bori could prevent a confrontation with Rue present. She seems to be a wild card, and could attack Strahd on sight based on her own admissions and disposition. Each time she speaks, Asha can feel the Bionoid pulsing, calling to be summoned to protect. No, not protect. To fight. The Bionoid relishes combat. Asha focuses his will against the entity, and quietly says to Rue, It is very likely this is a trap, and if it is we don't want to spring it. We all have a better chance to get what we want, including Strahd's death, if we play this game by our own rules. The best thing to do now is let Lord Zinro and Bori speak. We'll get what information there is to glean, and use it to devise a strategy and a plan. And then when the time comes, I'll hold the vampire down myself and let you tear him apart.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18

As the party discusses a diplomatic approach, Herbert offers his advice. "I have substantial experience dealing with the nobility and the expected social niceties. It may differ from those among the drow, and I haven't met any who are vampires, though. I'm going to guess he will have arrogance and high-handedness, but also a certain amount of respect for those who show a spine and clearly value their own worth. Speak with confidence, or if you cannot be confident, be silent."

"I would also avoid bragging about our capabilities. He may be able to tell that I serve Pelor, and know some things from that, but we don't want to give away anything we could use a surprise later. Besides that, over-explaining is for inferiors reporting to a superior. However, if he is sufficiently arrogant, maybe we can ask some open-ended questions to get him talking. Why is he letting us approach him? What parts of the castle is he wanting us to see? Don't bring up fighting him. That can be safely assumed, and stating the obvious is boorish behavior.

"Aside from a few friends, when I attended a major social event, I would have one or more goals in mind. We are meeting with an apparently powerful vampire who has invited us into his home. What specific pieces of information do we want to tease out about him and his castle? What specific behaviors should we encourage? Do we want him to offer us a tour? Should we speak with contempt about fools who seek one on one duels, to encourage him to face us only as a group?"

Perhaps his "wasted" time spent on prestige and funding wasn't completely wasted. Maybe Pelor was preparing him for this.

10. - Top - End - #40

Bori quietly listens to Rue, letting her finish before opening up his posture. A hug is clearly waiting for her should she want.

When we suffer we want the pain to end, and death can seem the simplest way. A life without pain even seems scary when pain is all you know. I don't know what happens when someone dies on your world, but I can't imagine suffering stops after death here. If anything, it might put you more in his power.

In the Realm of the Dead in my world, spirits wither and forget, fading into nothing. My people chose to fight that, we bond with our companions, giving us the strength to resist the withering and preserve our senses of self. Our spirits merge, but we can return to the world. The spirits of the ancestors can then help of guide generations to come.

His knuckles go white as he grips his mask tightly in one hand and squeezes the shoulder of Nethis with the other.

I think pain and change are inevitable, put letting Strahd kill you would doesn't protect you from either. If we bond together we may have the strength to defeat him. Afterwards, if nothing else, we can help each other, make our worlds less painful even. That's worth a try even if it more complicated, more scary, than just letting the pain end.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    As the party discusses a diplomatic approach, Herbert offers his advice.
    "Brilliant advice, your holiness," Yikkol says, a look of reverent concentration on her face. "We'll trust whatever decision you make. I'm sure the Fates—er, Pelor—will ensure that whatever you choose is right."

12. - Top - End - #42

ElfWarriorGuy

The ornate outer doors of the castle hang open, flanked by fluttering torches in iron sconces. Twenty feet inside the castle is a second set of doors. Cobwebs stretch between the columns that support the vaulted ceiling of a great, dusty hall dimly lit by sputtering torches in iron sconces. The torches cast odd shadows across the faces of eight stone gargoyles squatting motionlessly on the rim of the domed ceiling. Cracked and faded ceiling frescoes are covered by decay. Double doors of bronze stand closed to the east. To the north, a wide staircase climbs into darkness. A lit hallway to the south contains another set of bronze doors, through which you hear sad and majestic organ tones.

Spoiler
    Show
    The POV of the image is the top of the wide staircase to the north. The right side of the image actually points west, where you're coming from.
    Credits to Beneos Battlemaps.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-08-31 at 11:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

When Bori enters the castle, Yikkol will follow uncomfortably close behind him. She keeps an eye and an ear out for traps or signs of trouble.

“The stairs? We do have to go up to the high tower…”

Perception: (1d20+10)[17]
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-01 at 12:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Bori

Bori is tending to Nethis with his own Prestidigitation as Zinro circulates the group. Sorted, thanks. I'll give you a hand when I'm done.

As they enter the castle Bori makes no move to dismount, nor does it even seem to have crossed his mind. His shoulders hunch slightly as they cross the threshold, as if taking some of the weight of the stone above. He frowns at all if the decay and gives an involuntary shudder.

He turns around in his saddle as Yikkol sidles up close to him, a wry grin just about breaking through the discomfort. Feel free to stay as close as you like just watch out for the tail. Nethis seems to **** her head slightly before feignting a lash with her tail. An oddly muffled hissing sound issues from her as she turns her head forwards. Bori rolls his eyes and gives a small shrug of apology. She thinks she's funny

He looks around the avenues open to them. It's no gold carpet, but I assume we're expected to head towards the music. Herbert, Zinro, do you think we have to?
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-01 at 03:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 4/4
    As Rue entered the warm stifling confines of the castle, she suddenly realized she not want to be there. Confront Strahd? Definitely. Kill or die in the attempt? Yes.

But this castle already felt like a coffin. And the air already felt hot and heavy around her.

She wasn't sure how she was going to make it through this.

She nodded and pointed toward the staircase.

"We know we must go up. So we should maybe do that first."

16. - Top - End - #46

Asha

Asha steps in with the others, hands still clasped behind his back as if standing at attention. The dust and cobwebs tell the same story as the vacant parapets and turrets outside, but the lit torches tell another story still. Asha's eyes follow the flickering shadows up to the top of the vaulted ceiling, where eight gargoyles sit squat, watching from above. Hmm, he notes quietly.

If we are meant to meet with Strahd, I say we follow the music.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 73/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18

"Music requires an audience. If it's an audience of one... who else would it be? The foretelling said we would fight the count in his Throneroom, so finding him in a music room may bode well for our chances of delaying battle."

18. - Top - End - #48

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro attempted to put on an air of confidence, despite his unease. They really should have encountered a butler or porter by now, or even just a door guard. That was standard etiquette.

"We should follow the music: much like the carriage, I am sure it is a subtle invitation for us to follow."

(OOC: I believe that's 4 votes for following the music, so I guess we do that?)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

He turns around in his saddle as Yikkol sidles up close to him, a wry grin just about breaking through the discomfort. Feel free to stay as close as you like just watch out for the tail. Nethis seems to **** her head slightly before feignting a lash with her tail. An oddly muffled hissing sound issues from her as she turns her head forwards. Bori rolls his eyes and gives a small shrug of apology. She thinks she's funny.
    Yikkol smiles back. Unlike her grin to Rue, this one is friendly. She pats Nethis as the party continues forward.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    "Music requires an audience. If it's an audience of one... who else would it be? The foretelling said we would fight the count in his Throneroom, so finding him in a music room may bode well for our chances of delaying battle."
    “Brilliant deduction, your holiness. I’m sure you’re right. To the music room!”

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfWarriorGuy

Turning south on the Great Entry, the company was greeted by a vaulted hall where torchlight danced enigmatically against the walls. To the east, an arched hallway stretched for twenty feet, ending at a spiral staircase that went up and down. Next to the hallway stood a suit of armor oiled and gleaming, an enigmatic sentinel in its shallow alcove. To the west, large double doors hung slightly open, and a steady bright light escaped through the opening. Swells of organ music came from behind the doors, spilling their melody of power and defeat into the hall.

Crystal chandeliers illuminated this magnificent chamber. In the center, a solid wood dinner table displayed a feast worthy of kings: Spit-roasted boar, honey-glazed turnips, barley bread, salads of fresh greens an herbs, bowls of fresh fruit, cheese platters, flagons of wine, lemon cakes and sweet pastries, and many other dishes that were hard to distinguish in that burst of color and aroma. Places were set for each of the six outsiders with fine, delicate china and silver neatly displayed according to etiquette.

At the center of the far west wall, between floor-to-ceiling mirrors, stood a massive organ. Its pipes blared out a thunderous melody that spoke in its tone of greatness and despair. Seated at the organ, facing away from the table, a single caped figure pounded the keys in raptured ecstasy.

The figure suddenly stopped; Deep silence fell over the dining hall. Slowly, Strahd von Zarovich turned toward his guests. His face was earnest and noble, a face that once had been handsome, but was now tainted by a trace of cruelty. His eyes initially seemed to glimmer, yet their luster had faded with age, rendering them dry and timeworn. His once-lustrous black hair, swept back into a ponytail, hung dull and lifeless like straw. His complexion, pale and cold. Only his lips retained a vestige of color: vivid, bright crimson.

"Greetings, all." His gravitas filled the room with assertive presence. The hint of a smirk hung to the corner of his mouth. "I see you are capable of proper manners, after all. I am Strahd von Zarovich, Prince of Barovia and lord of this castle."

Although he inspected each of the visitors with caution, his attention fell on Rue. "Ah, little one. I see you have come to take your rightful place by my side. This is a pleasant surprise." He stood up and opened his cloak in an invitation. "Come, then. Your entourage is no longer necessary - we can feed them to my other children. They get hungrier every night."
    Last edited by dangelo; 2023-09-01 at 03:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Asha

Asha noted the other passages, and the gleaming armor adorning an alcove in the hall. He and the others walk into the hall to a roaring crescendo and, as if on cue, the music stops when they enter. Strahd turns to regard them all and greets them, hinting that he had indeed set them up to find him, and proving the vampire had a flair for the dramatic. A large dining table is set in the middle of the room, with a feast awaiting them.

The vampire's gaze turns to Rue, "Ah, little one. I see you have come to take your rightful place by my side. This is a pleasant surprise." He stands up and opens his cloak in an invitation. "Come, then. Your entourage is no longer necessary - we can feed them to my other children. They get hungrier every night."

The bionoid is pulsing, begging to be let out to end the threat. Asha ignores it, remaining still, standing at attention with his hands clasped behind him. Only his eyes flick over to Rue, wondering what she will do.

22. - Top - End - #52

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro was actually put relatively at ease by the display Strahd had put on for them - the fact that the Count had laid out such food, expecting them, suggested that he wasn't about to kill them immediately. Zinro immediately began to work through all the social angles he could play, drawing from his time amongst the Drow nobility. Greeting, followed by polite demand veiled as an innocent question, was the angle he decided on. The important thing was to try and establish a dominant position in the conversation - make the other person ask more questions and give more answers, and such. That said, the fact Strahd knew so much about them already had them on the backfoot.

"Our greetings to you, Count Strahd von Zarovich. I am Lord Zinro Varanash, of House Varanash, Menzoberranzan. May we be seated?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert remains silent for a moment, silently praying that Pelor would strengthen Rue's heart and fill her with light.

24. - Top - End - #54

Bori nudges Nethis ever so slightly towards Rue, ensuring she is enveloped in the aura from his Mark.

Take her place by your side? I was wondering about the seating plan, Count, thank you. Do you mind if I sit on your other side Rue?

He continues to ignore studiously ignore the threat to their lives.

What a wonderful spread, and such excellent mood music. House Ghallanda would appreciate your talents.

He whispers under his breath whilst turned to look at the table. You are strong, he can't control you, not even your rage.

25. - Top - End - #55

Asha

A smile plays on the corners of Asha's eyes. Clever, Bori, he thinks to himself.

26. - Top - End - #56

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro was quietly impressed with Bori's response. He was taking charge of the conversation and attempting to steer it in a direction advantageous to the party. It was a shame Zinro hadn't spend longer strategizing this social combat with Bori earlier - a two-pronged assault against a singular host divided their attention and made them more prone to social faux pas. Zinro made a mental note to attempt to sit as far away from Bori as possible in order to maximise the effort the Count would need to expend to respond to both of them.
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-09-01 at 04:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Fates. Finally, after all these years, she found him—her mother’s killer. And he was ignoring her. How dare he! Yikkol clenched her fists and let Bori’s calming aura wash over her.

How much she would love to sink a crossbow bolt into that bloodsucker’s heart. But she had been an adventurer long enough to know to stick with the plan. Deviation could mean death. And she couldn’t die. Not this close.

But… Talking wasn’t against the plan, right? As she scoots her chair uncomfortably close to Bori’s, she says: “A sad ruse, Strahd. Rue is no bloodsucker. She’s one of us.”

28. - Top - End - #58

ElfWarriorGuy

The vampire lord revealed himself to be taller than it had seemed at first, sitting on the bench by the organ. When he raised to his full height, well over seven feet tall, the dinner room seemed to shrink in comparison. His cloak of shadows dragged behind him, resembling the wings of a huge bat. His doublet had once been the finest fabric gold could buy, now reduced to a mere shadow of its beauty. His boots and gloves, fur-lined black leather. A knightly longsword adorned with emeralds rested on his hip.

Strahd would've appeared to be a true king, would he wear a proper crown.

Take her place by your side? I was wondering about the seating plan, Count, thank you. Do you mind if I sit on your other side Rue?
    What a wonderful spread, and such excellent mood music. House Ghallanda would appreciate your talents.

Strahd's eyes shifted to Bori, but most of the words said by the halfling blew straight past him. He arched one brow, the smirk vanishing from his lips. "What is this hideous beast that serves you as a mount, half-man?" Disgust crossed his face. "You certainly don't expect your host to clean after this... monstrocity?"

"Our greetings to you, Count Strahd von Zarovich. I am Lord Zinro Varanash, of House Varanash, Menzoberranzan. May we be seated?"

"Sit down and eat - You must grow fat and juicy for my children to feed well." He insisted, and added as an afterthought: "The lizard shall be put down."

Strahd beckoned at Rue. "Join me, childe. Let us withdraw to my cold chambers."

29. - Top - End - #59

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

"I am sure you have servants to clean your home, Count. Or magic to do it for you." Zinro mentioned, sitting as far away from Strahd as was possible.

Once seated, he helped himself to some nearby salad. He also produced his Tankard of Sobriety from his Bag of Holding and placed it on the table. He made a show of examining one of the nearby bottles of wine, before uncorking it and pouring himself a measure of it into his Tankard.

"Indeed, I have yet to see another soul besides yourself in this castle." He thought for a moment. "Ah, but you mentioned your children. Do you have many?"

OOC: The Tankard of Sobriety negates the effects of non-magical alcohol drunk from it, but magical alcohol and other poisons work as normal

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol stares incredulously at Zinro. Did he not hear what Strahd just said? Why was Zinro continuing with the small talk?

"Change of plans," Yikkol hisses at the party. "We're all gonna get eaten if we keep this up."

Still sitting, she draws her heavy crossbow, steadies herself, and aims for the vampire's neck.

Attack with Steady Aim: (2d20)[3][7](10) plus 9. (EDIT: 7+9=16 on her attack.)
    Damage: (1d10+5)[11] plus (5d6)[13] magical piercing damage. (EDIT: 11+13=24 magical piercing damage.)
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-01 at 11:37 PM.