Flash of Genius: 3/5
    Active Effects: Breathe any Environ, Adv vs Harmful Gases/Vapors
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Starlight Step: 2/4
    Repulsion Shield: 4/4
    Spell-Refueling Ring: 0/1
    Defensive Field: 0/4

Asha makes his way around Rue and posts himself at the door to block her from following. He engages with the spawn behind Herbert.

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show
    Move - Move to doorway without provoking from Rue.
    Action - Attack Frodo
    Attack - (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage - Thunder - (1d8+7)[10]
    Attack - (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage - Thunder - (1d8+7)[8]
    Hit Effect - Frodo has Disadvantage to hit anyone other than Asha

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

[SHUFFLE]

"Why, this wasn't quite the end of the tale." Madam Eva tried to remember. She was old as she was wise, and her mind sometimes played tricks on her. "The battle wasn't over just yet, no it wasn't. There was something else."

A circle had gathered around to hear the story: Five individuals dragged from their homelands and trapped in Barovia, and their only lead on how to escape was this old storyteller. The rogue raised his voice, impatient: "This woman has turned crone. Leave her be. Let us follow this..." He squinted to read a sign by the trees. "Svalich Road. There ought to be a village nearby."

The other adventurers paid him no mind. "What happened next, Madam Eva?" They asked. "Any information on the master of this Domain of Dread will be useful to us."

"Lord Strahd had had enough of these heroes." She resumed. "The Paladin had retrieved his brother's sword, a weapon he'd had destroyed by the most powerful magicians in his court. The Cleric had the Icon of Ravenloft, and they carried the Ruby of Ravenkind, a treasure that preceds even Strahd in these cursed lands. Four hundred years ago, the ravens rules the valley. The Vistani were here to see, believe my words."

"Please, Madam, proceed with the story." The knight in shiny armor insisted. But when Madam Eva looked at him, she was stricken with visions of his dark future.

"You! You were there! Sir Theodore is your name, is it not?"

The knight nodded. "How could I be in the story, my lady? I never even set foot in these lands."

Madam Eva shook her head. "Time flows strangely in Barovia. It is possible to hear stories about the future. Oh, poor knight, I pity you. March on, for the fate of your crusade has been written in stone."

"I don't believe your words." Sir Theodore gave her a smile, one that shone like the sun in the dark valley of Barovia. "There are others who wait for me, who need me, there on the other side of these Mists. I will return to them no matter what, and if slaying this vampire lord is the only way, so be it."

His courage rubbed off on his companions, but Madam Eva gave only a sad look. She reached for her tarokka deck, for her memory failed her on what happened next. "Where did they go afterwards?" She shuffled, shuffled, shuffled, and drew a card. "Ah. I remember now. See, the Rogue was a trickster of sorts, and carried with her special elemental stones. Her summoned minions had served as spies, and told her the exact location of Lord Strahd's coffin. A vampire's coffin is a place of power, see, and it must be located in the same ground that vampire once lived. If a vampire lord must travel, they must take some of the soil with them, and keep their coffin surrounded by it."

Sir Theodore and his party drank the words, assimilating any piece of information that might help them defeat Strahd. If Madam Eva was correct and they hadn't been the first batch of adventurers to assault Castle Ravenloft and die by the hands of the Devil, their expedition would be no easy task.

"What of the others? The Red Bride, the Dhampir?" Asked one of the adventurers. He had a quiver full of arrows slung across his shoulder.

Madam Eva squeezed the details out of her mind. "This was Lord Strahd's final movement. There was no time to protect his retainers." She explained. "See, the Mists are older than your gods, as old as the world itself. Their powers mean nothing here. But that night, somehow, the golden rays of Pelor sipped through the clouds and a beam of sunlight shone on Castle Ravenloft. Lord Strahd had retreated to his coffin, but his fate had been sealed by chains of pure light. Sun would shine through the Mists, and life would return to this Domain of Dread."

A smirk touched her face. "But then again, how would you be standing here if they had succeeded?"

This time it wasn't Strahd's laughter that died away, but a cry of pain. The Shadow Demon was destroyed by Asha, and the Red Bride turned to dust by Bori's sword. The Ranger, a long way from them, took a bolt from Yikkol's crossbow right between the eyes, and finally the last of Sir Theo's party was ashed.

The Hall of Bones fell silent. The entire castle fell silent. Immediately they resumed their march to the catacombs below.
    Running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: IC | OOC
    Playing Dracula's Curse: IC | OOC | Mustafa

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert

Herbert and Asha look at each other, then bend to grab the portcullis, lifting it upwards with a grunt on Herbert's part.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as the portcullis is lifted, Yikkol will scan the area for any traps or hidden dangers.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro was tired. This was the most energy he had expended on a task for decades, perhaps even in forever. His mood was sour and his outlook dark, but he wasn't about to just give up. As the others moved to raise the portcullis, Zinro readied a bolt of fire, as usual, to hurl at whatever dark forces assailed them.