New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: [IC] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Well it's lovely to see other living people down here! Bori says, Can we help you at all? What brings you down here anyway?

"Why, same thing as you." The bearded man nodds. "There's gold and silver in these crypts... want to split it?"

Asha raises an eyebrow, though it can't be seen behind his bionoid helmet.

We don't mind sharing at all. We'd appreciate a little help though, any information you could give us about the rest of the castle would be really helpful.

Asha nods his head in agreement with Bori, Yes, information like how you got in and out, are you aware of other entrances and exits, did you expect to be confronted by any guardians and how you aimed to avoid them. We plan on going further, and any information will be helpful.
    The Barovians grew more comfortable around the adventurers. Now that they knew they were peaceful and had seen them in battle, it was clear that it was safer to stay close to them for now.

"Not much to share, sadly. We came through the front door... Some magician assaulted the castle long ago and came out maddened forever. He babbled over and over 'bout these crypts. Took us a few years to summon the courage and the men, but finally we did it."

"There's no game in the woods, sir." Intervened another, younger, Barovian man. "The wolves are servants of Strahd -- Seven hells, even some of the trees are on his side. And nothing grows in these cursed lands. We eat beans and eggs, and sometimes bread, when to the crops manage to survive."

"I don't remember the last time I ate a splash of butter... or that I found honeycombs in the woods.... Now it's all bleak and cold, and the animals are evil and the plants, poisonous. Even the roots and mushrooms that used to feed us are no longer good for us."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft
    Human Life Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 59/73
    PPer: 18 PInv: 10 PIst: 18
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --
    Aura: 30' Prot from Evil (Fiends/undead): Such creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against us, and we are immune to charm, fear, possession by them

Herbert speaks with the Barovians for a little while. "That sounds like a most foul curse. I have heard of great sources of evil tainting the land about them. We are here in hopes of putting an end to the evil. What did you hope to find in these crypts? Certainly not food.

What did the madman speak of? Sometimes the ravings of the mad can contain nuggets of truth that the discerning may understand."

Herbert shares his rations with the Barovians, giving them half of what's in his pack. It's mostly jerky, dried fruits, and hardtack, but it's safe food. If they eat it now, that's fine; if they decide to take it home to their families, all the better.

As the party proceeds into the tomb, Herbert offers a short prayer to Pelor, and then begins to examine the place, paying particular attention to the stained glass windows and any markings on them. "The Count's...parents?"

As the group settles in to pray, rest, and snack on their rations, Herbert asks Yikkol for help. "I did take one hit from that vampiric knight. Pelor grants me much power in healing, but dawn may be long in coming here. Would you mind using your poultices and needle to stitch things up?" As Yikkol works, Herbert winces a bit. "I haven't been stitched up like this since I was young and just starting out."

Spoiler
    Show

Checking to see if the place is actually safe before resting, or if anything feels "off."
    Using CD to regain a 2nd level spell slot. CD refreshes on a short rest, so I get both CDs back unless we are interrupted.
    Yikkol's 1d6+14 clears the 14hp of damage.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Rue
    Dhampir Barbarian 8/Fighter 2
    AC: 17 HP: 128/128
    PP:16 PIv: 11 PIs: 16
    Rage: 3/4 (Long Rest)
    Empowering Bite: 4/4 (Long Rest)
    Second Wind: 1/1 (Short Rest)
    Action Surge: 1/1 (Short Rest)

Rue continued lurking at the periphery of the crypt as the others spoke with the Barovians. She suspected that her presence in the conversation would do more harm than good. This was almost always the case anyway, and would be even more likely here, where the Devil Strahd lived and ruled.

Frowning, she watched as Yikkol applied a substance to his own wounds, and Zinro's and Herbert. She was in some pain from her own wounds. It was muted, maybe, compared to someone who wasn't... like her. But it was pain all the same.

She circled the edges of the lighted area. Slowly making her quiet, careful way closer and closer to Yikkol.

She sat near him for a long, long time. She literally did not know how to ask for help. It had been years (decades, maybe) since she had been in the occasion to need help. And even longer since she had any expectation such a request would be received without fear and hatred.

Eventually she made a low, quiet cough in her throat. "Yikkol," she said, her voice small and unsure, mile from the restless anger she had thrown at Strahd earlier. "Yikkol. Could you. Perhaps?"

She gestured to the worst, and deepest, of the long jagged rents in her strange flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming Yikkol helps the poor girl out, she's back to max HP.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

4. - Top - End - #214

Bori

Bori joins Herbert in supplying the Barovians. Please take these home to your families and wish us luck. If we can defeat Strahd then hopefully things will get better!

Bori joins the others starting to set up a mini camp in the special tomb. Thanks Yikkol, that salve feels amazing. He whips up some small snack for anyone needed them, a deep feeling of comfort seeps out of.thr comfort food. He pauses whilst contemplating this tomb. Can we fix that barrier? Put the statue back up? Might make it safer.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taken 34 damage so far.
    Healing from Yikkol (1d6+14)[17]
    2HD (2d10+4)[17] plus (1d8)[3]

At the end of the rest use renewed channel divinity and regain 2 spell slots

5. - Top - End - #215

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro slowly walked around the tomb taking in it's details, as if he were a guest in some museum. He looked over at the stained glass windows and understood where they were in relation to the outside world. (Investigation passed in OOC). Knowing that there was a 1000ft drop just past the windows, Zinro subconsciously moved closer to the entrance of the tomb.

"I believe we're directly underneath the chapel." He said. "And I believe you're correct: these must be Strahd's parents. Although they're titled 'King' and 'Queen', and Strahd is merely a 'Count'. How the mighty have fallen. You'd think his influence could have grown larger given his immortality and power; but instead it has shrunk to almost nothing. Pitiful."

Zinro listened to the Barovian's plight, but didn't interact with them. Once he ruled this castle, he would have to see about changing the land to produce food again: he didn't want peasants assaulting his castle out of starvation.

6. - Top - End - #216

ElfWarriorGuy

Seconds stretched into minutes. The Barovians - Igor, Aleksei and Orin, all with grizzled hair and tired shoulders - accepted the rations gratefully and munched on them throughout their brief moment of rest.

"That sounds like a most foul curse. I have heard of great sources of evil tainting the land about them. We are here in hopes of putting an end to the evil. What did you hope to find in these crypts? Certainly not food.

What did the madman speak of? Sometimes the ravings of the mad can contain nuggets of truth that the discerning may understand."
    "He said... 'The castle's heart beats... Lost souls are tormented... I glimpsed a shadowed chamber, where an ancient evil slumbers. Beware the cryptic whispers that beckoned me closer... O, temptation! O, secret hidden knowledge! It is lost forever! The castle is alive! And will guard it forever!'" Aleksei recited. "His words made me shiver. Never forgot what he said, wandering madly into the Mist."

"Nothing grows here, but outsiders appear from the Mist every now and then. With gold and silver, we can buy their food. But you were kind enough to share." Orin gestured with the dried goat in his hand, munching on it as they talked. "That's a rare occasion."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
    Standing up straight again, he took a look at the runes Yikkol directed him. Whilst he studied them he said: "I hope you don't mind Dot being attached to you. If her presence bothers you I can take her back."
    "It's for magic, right? I don't mind," Yikkol says. "I'm just worried that she might fall off my leg if we need to run."

Standing up straight again, he took a look at the runes Yikkol directed him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    These are the runes here? Asha says, stopping over to inspect them, Let's see what we might have...
    Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    The runes didn't correspond to any incantations Lord Zinro was familiar with, but with Asha's help the elves were able to point out its properties. The spell belonged to the Abjuration school, but had runes of Illusion and Divination woven into it. Divination, to look into the souls of those who tried to trespass and judge them; Illusion, to assault their minds. The parameters to judge someone "worthy" were based on the morals and ethics of the Church of the Morninglord, allowing only what that church would consider a "Good" person to cross the curtain.
    Yikkol scoffs as this information is relayed to her.

"This Morninglord has strange morals. I've spent years tracking down my mother's bones like a faithful daughter should."

There's an uncomfortable pause. Then, defensively, softly, almost to herself: "I'm a good person. They understand that."

Descending the stairs beyond the bronze guardians:

This tomb rests in hushed silence. Tall, stained glass windows dominate the eastern walls, allowing dim light to fall on two coffins resting atop white marble slabs. The one against the north wall is marked King Barov von Zarovich, and the one against the south wall is marked Queen Ravenovia van Roeyen. The vaulted ceiling thirty feet overhead is inlaid with a beautiful gold mosaic.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    As the party proceeds into the tomb, Herbert offers a short prayer to Pelor, and then begins to examine the place, paying particular attention to the stained glass windows and any markings on them. "The Count's...parents?"
    Yikkol takes a look around as well. She's less interested in the Count's family history than the others. Instead, she roots around for the treasure that the fortune-teller said for here.

• Investigation versus DC 16: (1d20+5)[12].

As the group settles in to pray, rest, and snack on their rations, Herbert asks Yikkol for help. "I did take one hit from that vampiric knight. Pelor grants me much power in healing, but dawn may be long in coming here. Would you mind using your poultices and needle to stitch things up?" As Yikkol works, Herbert winces a bit. "I haven't been stitched up like this since I was young and just starting out."
    "Right away, your holiness!" Yikkol seems almost too eager to help and prove herself a moral person.

• Expends a healing kit use.

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Frowning, she watched as Yikkol applied a substance to his own wounds, and Zinro's and Herbert. She was in some pain from her own wounds. It was muted, maybe, compared to someone who wasn't... like her. But it was pain all the same.

She circled the edges of the lighted area. Slowly making her quiet, careful way closer and closer to Yikkol.

She sat near him for a long, long time. She literally did not know how to ask for help. It had been years (decades, maybe) since she had been in the occasion to need help. And even longer since she had any expectation such a request would be received without fear and hatred.

Eventually she made a low, quiet cough in her throat. "Yikkol," she said, her voice small and unsure, mile from the restless anger she had thrown at Strahd earlier. "Yikkol. Could you. Perhaps?"

She gestured to the worst, and deepest, of the long jagged rents in her strange flesh.
    "Of course," Yikkol says. She approaches Rue at an awkward angle, clearly uncomfortable, and empties the bottle of salve over her wounds as well.

Quietly: "Are you really Strahd's child? I thought that was a lie to split us apart. But then I saw you fight..."

Quote Originally Posted by Waistcoatwill View Post
    Bori joins the others starting to set up a mini camp in the special tomb. Thanks Yikkol, that salve feels amazing. He whips up some small snack for anyone needed them, a deep feeling of comfort seeps out of.thr comfort food. He pauses whilst contemplating this tomb. Can we fix that barrier? Put the statue back up? Might make it safer.

"I'm not sure," Yikkol says. She looks over at Asha and Zinro. "Maybe they'd know."
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-26 at 01:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    "It's for magic, right? I don't mind," Yikkol says. "I'm just worried that she might fall off my leg if we need to run."
    Zinro nods. "Correct. I am able to cast spells as if I were at her location, as long as she is within about 100ft of me. She will be fine, she has excellent grip."

As for the barrier, Zinro said: "I'm afraid I'm not much good with Abjuration, and I don't recognise the particular spell used here."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

Asha
    Astral Elf Armorer Artificer
    AC: 23 HP: 101/103 THP: 10/10
    PPer: 16 PInv: 19 PIns: 12
    Conditions: Immune to Surprise, Adv on Init, Necklace of Adaptation

Asha searches the crypts alongside the graverobbers, happy to leave them the coins, but in search of anything else that might help the party with their mission.

Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    (1d20+9)[12]

Once down in the tomb with the others, he sits and listens to the conversation. When he has a moment, he asks Herbert, That light you summoned that destroyed the zombies. Can you do something like that against Strahd himself?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, but he may be strong enough to resist it... especially if he draws strength from the land around him. For one like him? It would probably, at best, repel him for a time."

11. - Top - End - #221

ElfWarriorGuy

As they talked, the six adventurers and Igor, Aleksei and Orin gathered the treasure from the crypts and put it in a pile of loot back in the tomb of King Barov and Queen Ravenovia. There were three jewel necklaces worth 750 coins each, one fur-lined cloak worth 500 coins, and a collection of other trinkets and jeweled daggers and gold plated helmets and silver holy symbols worth 600 coins in total.

In addition, one specific item was rather tricky to identify: Found in the crypt of "King Katsky the Bright: Ruler, inventor, and self-proclaimed time traveler", the treasure was a harness of sorts, a set of leather stripes that could be secured to one's thighs, chest and shoulders. After several attempts to make the weird gadget work, a pair of lightweight wings finally extended from the harness, giving whoever wore it the aspect of a flying squirrel or a huge bat.

12. - Top - End - #222

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro looked at the strange harness and the wings that unfurled from it. Subconsciously he imagined the death of it's owner: plummeting to the ground after seriously miscalculating his weight and wind resistance. Zinro shuddered and tore his eyes away. Instead, he eyed the treasure.

"Well, Barovians, you said yourself, you have little need of treasure; and we intend to rid this place of Strahd on your behalf. Seems only fair to compensate us for saving your lives and solving your ultimate problem, no?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Zinro nods. "Correct. I am able to cast spells as if I were at her location, as long as she is within about 100ft of me. She will be fine, she has excellent grip."
    "That's fine, then. We have spiders like her back where I'm from."

As they talked, the six adventurers and Igor, Aleksei and Orin gathered the treasure from the crypts and put it in a pile of loot back in the tomb of King Barov and Queen Ravenovia. There were three jewel necklaces worth 750 coins each, one fur-lined cloak worth 500 coins, and a collection of other trinkets and jeweled daggers and gold plated helmets and silver holy symbols worth 600 coins in total.
    Zinro shuddered and tore his eyes away. Instead, he eyed the treasure.

"Well, Barovians, you said yourself, you have little need of treasure; and we intend to rid this place of Strahd on your behalf. Seems only fair to compensate us for saving your lives and solving your ultimate problem, no?"
    "Let's just split the treasure fairly," Yikkol suggests. "The only treasure worth caring about are my mother's bones and Strahd's death."

In addition, one specific item was rather tricky to identify: Found in the crypt of "King Katsky the Bright: Ruler, inventor, and self-proclaimed time traveler", the treasure was a harness of sorts, a set of leather stripes that could be secured to one's thighs, chest and shoulders. After several attempts to make the weird gadget work, a pair of lightweight wings finally extended from the harness, giving whoever wore it the aspect of a flying squirrel or a huge bat.
    Zinro looked at the strange harness and the wings that unfurled from it. Subconsciously he imagined the death of it's owner: plummeting to the ground after seriously miscalculating his weight and wind resistance.
    Yikkol also looks skeptical. She gives everyone a look as the wings creak open.

"I really hope this isn't the treasure the fortune-teller was talking about. How is this meant to defeat Strahd? Shall we convince him to put it on and jump off a cliff?"

But she can't help but give the gadget a second look. Yikkol was a master craftswoman in the Makers' Guild, and her training and critical eye could not be turned off. A flying machine... Now that's a daring project.

• dangelo, Yikkol has proficiency in Tinker's Tools. Does the wingsuit seem safe, and does Yikkol think she can improve the wingsuit in any way?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft

"There's enough gold here to feed quite a few families for years...if there's food to be bought. Plenty to share."
    If he feels the Barovians are being shortchanged after also risking their lives, he'll give them his share of the gold/jewels.

15. - Top - End - #225

Asha

Asha inspects the harness and wings, I don't think this will give us any great advantage against Strahd. Only seems to let someone glide, not take actual flight.

16. - Top - End - #226

ElfWarriorGuy

The special tomb was locked behind an iron porticullis. It was heavy and taken by rust, but with some effort the fellowship was able to pass through it.

White marble steps descend to a tomb that has a vaulted ceiling thirty feet overhead. A stillness—a calm amid the storm—is felt here. In the center of the tomb, a white marble slab supports an intricately inlaid coffin. Chiseled into the slab is a name: Sergei von Zarovich. To the north, behind the coffin, are three alcoves. A beautifully carved statue stands in each alcove—a stunning young man flanked by two angels—looking as polished and new as the day each was placed there.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quietly: "Are you really Strahd's child? I thought that was a lie to split us apart. But then I saw you fight..."
    Rue frowned and sank deeper into her hooded cloak. "I don't know for certain. I have only the word of two liars that it's true. But the Vistani protected me even though they feared me. The Barovians, the ancestors of these same people here, reviled and detested me." She pulled her hood back a bit and looked up at Yikkol. "I look young, but I am old. And every step I have taken in my long, long life has been dogged by wolves, the Mists, shadows, misfortune and death."

She paused.

"I believe I am Strahd's true issue. I believe he has been chasing me all these years. Driving me so I would eventually return to him. And so I have. But not to join him. To destroy him."

As the treasure piles up Rue gives the valuables a single contemptuous sniff and backs away from it. "Please give my share to the Barovians to split as they will. They will have need of it, however our errand ends. I will not."
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

18. - Top - End - #228

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro frowned as he was outvoted for the treasure split with the Barovians. If he and his party were ridding the land of Strahd, what use would they have of gold? Ah, but perhaps he would be able to recoup the losses in the form of development taxation? Yes... long term goals, that was the key! Peasants were always distracted by short term wealth. He took his share of the treasure and pocketed it inside his Bag of Holding.

As the party began to explore the catacombs and came across the tomb of Sergei von Zarovich, Zinro moved forward and began to utter arcane words of detection. His mind was suddenly open to the auras of magic around him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last time I spent trying to Ritual Cast Detect Magic we got ambushed, so I'll just cast as normal Detect Magic inside Sergei's Tomb. If the Tomb is bigger than the area of effect, Zinro will move around to sweep the room with the spell active.

19. - Top - End - #229

ElfWarriorGuy

The stone coffin of Sergei von Zarovich contained a strong aura of positive energy, like a fiery heart pulsating within cold stone walls. When Lord Zinro imposed his hands over the coffin, his mind was flooded with visions of glorious battlefields, columns of armored men clashing against mounted knights, champions who carried bloodied swords in one hand and bright blue banners in the other; Leading the soldiers into war with a proud heart and an inspiring battle cry was Sergei von Zarovich, first son of King Barov and great champion of the Morninglord.

The coffin was guarded by the same kind of incantation behind the bronze guardians and the curtain of blue light: only those who were "worthy" would be able to open it. Or anyone who was strong enough to force the lid off the top of the coffin. [Strength check DC 15, costs an action]

As Zinro stepped away from the coffin, he suddenly noticed a second aura on top of the first, one much more delicate and subtle. The spell was a rather simple Alarm charm, an elementary spell but a useful one.

20. - Top - End - #230

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

Zinro took all this information in, letting the vision fully pass from his mind.

"If we believe the King and Queen to be Strahd's parents, then Sergei is his older brother. I saw a vision of conquest; perhaps of this very land. Sergei led the armies of King Barov. I believe he was a paladin, or a cleric, of this Morninglord we keep hearing about. His coffin is protected by the same enchantment as the one we passed through to get to the King and Queen. I must profess that I would be affected by such countermeasures. However, it may be possible to force the lid open; but I also detect a spell of alarm upon the coffin. I do not know if the alarm will trigger if the coffin is opened in the 'correct' way, but if we do intend to open this coffin it is something to mindful of. In any case, there is a powerful source of positive energy coming from inside; perhaps the item we seek."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert Raycraft

"Do you have the ability to disable the Alarm spell without it going off? Perhaps there is a physical anchor that can be disrupted."

22. - Top - End - #232

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

"Do you have the ability to disable the Alarm spell without it going off? Perhaps there is a physical anchor that can be disrupted."
    "Now that I'm aware of the spell, yes I should be able dispel it safely."

Zinro waves his hands over the coffin, uttering words of magical unbinding and destruction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zinro casts Dispel Magic on the coffin. Any spell that is affecting the coffin of 3rd level or lower is instantly dispelled; so it would include the 'worthy' check as well presumably. If the spell(s) is above 3rd level then I make a spellcasting ability check: (1d20+8)[23] vs DC 10 + Spell Level

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Yikkol takes 200 gold pieces worth of treasure and leaves the rest.

"Coming with us?" she says to the Barovians.

She doesn't care much about their well-being or whether they stay or go, but their presence might change things tactically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Asha inspects the harness and wings, I don't think this will give us any great advantage against Strahd. Only seems to let someone glide, not take actual flight.
    "It's not very good," Yikkol admits. She pushes the wings shut and crams it into her bag. "When we next rest, I'll see if I can improve it."

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Rue frowned and sank deeper into her hooded cloak. "I don't know for certain. I have only the word of two liars that it's true. But the Vistani protected me even though they feared me. The Barovians, the ancestors of these same people here, reviled and detested me." She pulled her hood back a bit and looked up at Yikkol. "I look young, but I am old. And every step I have taken in my long, long life has been dogged by wolves, the Mists, shadows, misfortune and death."

She paused.

"I believe I am Strahd's true issue. I believe he has been chasing me all these years. Driving me so I would eventually return to him. And so I have. But not to join him. To destroy him."
    Yikkol seems surprised at first. She did not expect this level of honesty from the child of her sworn enemy. But she quickly recovers and gives Rue a small smile.

"Then—bloodsucker or not—we share a common goal."

"Now that I'm aware of the spell, yes I should be able dispel it safely."

Zinro waves his hands over the coffin, uttering words of magical unbinding and destruction.
    "Well? Did it work?" Yikkol seems impatient, eager to seize the treasure that will lead to Stahd's defeat.
    Last edited by TaiLiu; 2023-09-29 at 01:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert
    After the alarm is Disrupted, Herbert grasps the lid of the coffin and respectfully opens it.

25. - Top - End - #235

ElfWarriorGuy

Herbert pushed the lid off the top of the coffin with ease. It felt weightless under his worthy touch, but still clanked loudly when it fell over the other side.

Inside was the ancient body of Sergei von Zarovich. The prince had been embalmed in pure gold, and his treasures, buried with him: His suit of armor, each piece carefully placed on top of his mummified body, and his longsword, the blade shattered right in the middle.

The suit of armor had been placed on top of the body rather than on the body itself. Forged with the best steel a king could afford, by the best craftsmen available, and enchanted by powerful magicians, the breastplate displayed a golden insignia of a rising sun, and its shoulder blades were decorated by wavy sun rays all the way around. A white cloak was also tied to the armor, both immaculate clean even locked in that coffin for centuries.

The sword was but a ruined weapon. The pommel and the guard were enameled with gold, and topazes and diamonds decorated the hilt. The blade, however, had been broken in half, and the second half, lost in time forever. Now, that was left of it had been reduced to the length of a dagger's blade.

26. - Top - End - #236

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

As a man who lived in the Underdark, Zinro had very rarely seen the sun; but even he was slightly moved by the beauty of the golden armour, emblazoned with sun motifs.

"Beautiful...." He muttered before composing himself. "Both the armour and the broken sword are magical. Positive energy magic."
    Last edited by The Commander; 2023-09-29 at 04:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Bori

Bori waves to the Barovians, hoping they make it out safe from Strahd and their fled colleagues both.

He tries to ignore the tombs as they move to the other site. To him the zombies are definite proof that hoarding corpses and belonging they can no longer use is a perverse and unhealthy way to deal with loss. He has no qualms about taking more belongings from, but would definitely rather they didn't attract more undead than absolutely necessary.

He listens to Rue's admission about her parentage, Nodding along with his best supportive barman face. You're worrying me, Rue. I hope we can defeat Strahd, and whether that means we can leave here or not it will.leave us us able to build something new for ourselves. That might mean free of ties to the past...if you must let your ancestors define you though, look at all of the others you have!
    Last edited by Waistcoatwill; 2023-09-29 at 05:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Herbert pushed the lid off the top of the coffin with ease. It felt weightless under his worthy touch, but still clanked loudly when it fell over the other side.

Inside was the ancient body of Sergei von Zarovich. The prince had been embalmed in pure gold, and his treasures, buried with him: His suit of armor, each piece carefully placed on top of his mummified body, and his longsword, the blade shattered right in the middle.

The suit of armor had been placed on top of the body rather than on the body itself. Forged with the best steel a king could afford, by the best craftsmen available, and enchanted by powerful magicians, the breastplate displayed a golden insignia of a rising sun, and its shoulder blades were decorated by wavy sun rays all the way around. A white cloak was also tied to the armor, both immaculate clean even locked in that coffin for centuries.

The sword was but a ruined weapon. The pommel and the guard were enameled with gold, and topazes and diamonds decorated the hilt. The blade, however, had been broken in half, and the second half, lost in time forever. Now, that was left of it had been reduced to the length of a dagger's blade.
    As a man who lived in the Underdark, Zinro had very rarely seen the sun; but even he was slightly moved by the beauty of the golden armour, emblazoned with sun motifs.

"Beautiful...." He muttered before composing himself. "Both the armour and the broken sword are magical. Positive energy magic."
    "Now this is treasure worth having!" Inexpert as she is, even Yikkol can feel the magic radiating from the armor and weapons.

"Zinro, what can these do? Perhaps his holiness could wear them in our battle against Strahd."

29. - Top - End - #239

Zombie

Lord Zinro Varanash

"Zinro, what can these do? Perhaps his holiness could wear them in our battle against Strahd."
    "Much like with the Icon and the Mace, I would need 11 minutes to Identify each item; so 22 minutes. If we feel we are secure here for that long, then I can begin."

30. - Top - End - #240

Asha

Asha moves to a defensible position, I think it's worth discovering what these items might do. I'll stand ready in case we receive any more visitors.