New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers pt 3

Bruno looked at his armour to see if the gold effect was still there and then he turned to the arriving officers.
    "Good evening officers," he said in his best Bretonnian to the knights, "my name is Bruno, Baronet Richter and this is Sir Bertelis Roche, knight Banneret of Saulx. And as my other esteemed colleague said, we're here to investigate some problems with this blackpowder house. I'm willing to help you with your enquiries, as we all are. However, I believe we have acted as good citizens and I'm sure your investigations will show. But my esteemed colleague is correct that there was some heavy magic here, so you best get some Damsels or priests to investigate this part."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

charm I guess: (1d100)[50] vs 97 (67 Fel, 20 mastery, 10 etiquette talent)
    Last edited by farothel; 2023-09-27 at 01:19 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As soon as Jasmine saw the candle falling over, she shrieked and started running back past where the others were. "RUN! SHE'S GONNA BLOW!" she screamed as she accelerated past them, and then she dived off the quay into the dark, murky waters of the harbor. Again.
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-09-28 at 09:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

if there is no objections, ill do a little jump cut, and let you all discuss what you did while in the good cells for foreigners. note that there are much worse cells for much worse people

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

When the illusion faded, Regine's eyes widened at the trickery bestowed upon them. What foul magicks had these been? Another sorcerer?! And why?

But perhaps even worse...the authorities arrived.

Regine, the master thief that she was, had been in this situation many, many times before. While the others chatted, she stepped backwards and slunk into the shadows...

OOC:

Regine is going to Concealment: (1d100)[40] vs TN 108

Then Silent Move away: (1d100)[42] vs TN 108

6 successes on both.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-10-02 at 08:59 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Between Wighard and Bruno, as Bertelis doesn't do much except stand there and look sullen, a deal is hashed out

The Company agrees to go with the authorities and they agree to not stop us leaving unless we try to leave.

Its all very civilised and no one has to die.

Not yet anyway.

Imperial confinement is ok for as long as you have money, Bretonnia lacks that sort of organised system as judgement on peasants tends to be summary and immediate whilst nobles have to show up when summoned or lose any claim on honour.

Therefore the group gives parole and gets treated as honourable until they demonstrate otherwise, moving into a set of rooms in one of Bertelis' cousin's houses for a few days.

He will spend his time preparing a case

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno will help Wighard with the case, although his knowledge about law is limited, he does know a few things about history that could give precedent. And as their primary talker, it would probably fall to him to plead the case to the local noble, so knowing what points to stress and which to gloss over would make it a lot easier to do just that.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine had landed in the water with a small splash and dove into the murky water. When she surfaced, she was surprised to see that the powder-house had not, in fact, exploded, and the others were standing around chatting with some guards next to an unattended, recently sabotaged magazine. She did not stick around. Perhaps some of the guards had seen her jump in the water but none of them were inclined to jump in after her so she made her way to another dock and climbed out. Wet and annoyed, she dumped all her weapons and gear in front of Bully and told him to dry them out and clean them up, and then waited for the others to arrive. When she found out that they had been placed under house arrest and caught up in the machinations of Bretonnian justice, she felt a little lost and out to sea about how best to help them. So, with a small purse of coin in hand she made a desperate and reckless decision. She went a-looking for a lawyer...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

the company under house arrest: a small emissary will bring a document for the trial by combat. it will be aboard an old galleon anchored in the bay and scheduled for decommission. the combat will end when either all three participants on either side yield, or the participants can no longer continue. the three enemy contestents are aelfric the mad, lysander the quick, and grot the flatulent

you also get to choose a one handed, non-magical weapon to fight with. the rules state no more than leather armor, no shields, and no poison. surprisingly, their allowing black powder

regine: what are you doing?

jasmine: bully huffs, and will casually look over the firearms "powders wet, so theres that" he says. he will also suggest you dont take any dips with your firearms, and will grouse about other things

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The room is dark, because it is shut off from the outside world and flooded with supernatural darkness. It is cold, but not for its own reasons; but only because the hot blood is flooding out of him through a gruesome hole in his chest. Outside, Bruno was proving his decision was the smart one, to seek after the rest of the Company. Here, Bertelis was dying cold, alone, afraid, and ashamed of that fear to the marrow of his bones. It is a common enough belief that the dead watched the affairs of living; that one's ancestors took an interest, if not a hand, in the life of their kin.

Not in such a way, My Lady... Do not let them see me in such a way...

This, the worse moment of his life, had come roaring back in the illusory assault and again in nightmare the night after. As his eyes creak open and gaze at the ceiling, he considers that he might simply remain here in this bed until he dies. This legal entanglement is shame brought upon him in his effort to serve his Duke, immediately after being honored by his king. The rebellion in L'Anguille roared on and their plot had worked, sabotaging the powder reserve of the Bordeleaux fleet, and the peasants in the interior continued their rampage. Somewhere, his brothers, and his sister, and his father, all languished or else were dead already. And here was another delay - how callous the gods did seem, in the light of such a morning.

And then the corrupted bundles of reason in his mind shuddered and shifted in their unaccountable dance, and flooded his body with good humor. His roar of laughter, wheezing and undeniably crazed, echoed through the house and woke the late sleepers. When he stumbled out and received the note from the emissary, he knew why.

"AAAAAAaaaahahahahahAHAH! Aelfric, Lady damn your diseased mind! How very like Bordeleaux's premier 'judge' to turn such a matter into an arena-like spectacle. No doubt you are selling berths around the ship to watch the combat? Hah! Hahaha! At least it will be swift, and we can be underway! Friends, we will need to fight out way out again. Aelfric is a moonstruck old knight who makes a habit of taking on matters of challenge like this - no doubt he is the architect of this unusual resolution as well as a participant. This Lysander I do not know, not this.. 'Grot'. Unusual names, deputized as chevaliers de justice for the spectacle. Bruno, it will be time to put those fencing lessons to work. We will need a third -..."

Having likely attracted all the incarcerated companions with his boasting and ranting, he runs his eyes over Wighard... then Maxime, for good measure.

He grimaces a little. Wighard was a fair fighter, but he would not call him an arena champion - not without license to use his magics, which certainly would not be permitted. But Maxime was far too green - and 'he' had more to lose if the attention focused on him, especially in defeat, revealed his secret. Regine and Jasmine had somehow avoided capture entirely, and for that Bertelis was glad.

He'd rather fight them all himself than let the halfling be exposed into such a brawl. And Regine, while not so small of stature as the halfling and therefore not prone to evoke fraternal guardianship, was a lady all the same.

Well. Maybe not a lady. A woman, still.

"Well... One more. We may have to flip a coin - but if we work together, we will prevail here as in the other times. The duel is on the water to permit the use of pistols without the Lady's wrath, but I do not recommend using them - at least, not shooting to kill. Our conduct within the duel will reflect on us as much as our success. Moreover, I must assure you this is unusual as a process - but Bordeleaux is a... city of spectacle. Still, even if we win, there is going to be hell to pay with those dwarves. We could use... whatever dwarves have that stand in where the empire has litigators. Grumblelads, or Grudgeboys, or something, I assume. Not that there is likely to be one in town, I suppose - but I'm in the mood for a miracle."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-10-11 at 10:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

I will fight if I have to

states Wighard flatly

I feel though in my case a more appropriate ordeal would be to cure Grot the Flatulent

Later though however he will speak to Bertelis alone

For all our sakes you need to be in a mood ready to fight on the day; I will try and help with that

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno wasn't too keen on fighting, but he knew that he probably wouldn't have a choice. Sometimes it was easier just to be a roadwarden, although there were advantages to being a noble. He would use his rapier, as it was the faster weapon, although it didn't do as much damage. While he would have preferred to be in his full plate armour, he would be faster in just leather. He knew he wasn't the best fighter of the group, but he hoped he would be able to hold his own.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

jasmine: looking for a dwarven longbeard, youd come across hestrad warbelt, a dwarf with a braided beard coming down to his stomach. hes currently noshing upon a large fish the size of your torso, and washing it down with a cask of dwarven ale on the table next to him. he turns to look at you, and smiles, revealing several golden teeth "ah lassie, how can i help ye?" he asks, patting the seat next to him. as youd climb up, youd spot gimgroth and a small teenage girl with a flute walking towards hestrad

hestrad warbelt

gimgroth: gimme a montage of your arrival at the island, and a perception roll pls. youd spot jasmine talking with another dwarf, a longbeard by the looks of him. the dwarf laughs uproariously, and slams a fist on the table

regine: what if any plans are you cooking up, and how do you plan to accomplish them?

the rest of you under house arrest: gimme a montage of the set-up and planning that you will undertake

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine had heard Gimgroth complaining that the dwarves with the longest beards were generally regarded as the wisest and most influential, and so when she saw that this one had the longest beard she'd seen so far, she figured that he could help. Perhaps. Once he'd cleaned out the fishbones and grease from the beard. At any rate, she told him, "Well, I don't know how you can help me, but I does need some help. You know those fellows... those adventurers who are accused of killing those dwarves? I happen ta know that they're innocent and that someone's trying to frame them for it. Since I don't have any..." she makes air quotes, "'Legal standing' in the law here there ain't much I can do about it. But maybe the dwarves can help out? Ya gotta know who done it so you can put it in your book, right? And the locals just seem to want to do the easy thing instead of what's right. Maybe you can get the officials to actually help figure out what was going on rather than just grabbing the closest people and calling it a day?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

It had been a long and fraught journey but Gimgroth and Beatrix guided the caravan safely into Bordeleaux. Receiving his pay Gimgroth thought that Beatrix might like sleeping in a bed and partaking of a bath so the pair sought out a local inn. After securing rooms the two were enjoying a meal in the dining hall downstairs. Gimgroth noticed that at least one other dwarf found the establishment's beer acceptable so he ordered a round for Beatrix and himself. The dwarf then set into informing his young ward of the plan.
    Right so tonight we rest and tomorrow we head out to my comrade Sir Bertelis's family estate and seek word of his whereabouts. Drink, bathe, eat for the road will be there again tomorrow. Gimgroth frowned at Beatrix. The girl was the cause of more than one instance of trouble during the caravan's journey, always off where she shouldn't be. Gimgroth was tankard to chin when he couldn't believe his eyes. That couldn't be mistress Jasmine Featherblossom approaching the longbeard at the counter or had Gimgroth's luck finally turned around. The dwarf felt a twinge of shame as his hand crossed over his own mere months of stubble. Nevermind that, silly to keep on about old wounds be they physical or to the pride.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

PerceptionVs58 - (1d100)[93]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

jasmine: hestram looks at you and considers for a long moment. you can practically see the wheels turning in his brain "im curious as to where you think this will go" he asks. "yes i could do that, but i would need either significant remuneration or help with a task" he leans in closer and says. "have you heard of the seven blades of xanthu? the blades were supposedly formed in a long lost age by a master swordsmith as gifts for his seven sons" he will wash down the remainder of the fish with another draught of ale, and belch. "i have intel that says one of the magic blades will be making its way through the port. i need to know which ship it is traveling on." he offers a hand "do we have a deal?"

gimgroth: the longbeard will finish up his meal, and begin discussion with jasmine: youd catch something about xanthu, port, and ship

ooc: lets say hestrad is willing to help minimally for the equivalent of 50 GC, and fully for more around 150

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis practices technique, and leads Wighard and Bruno where they will permit his insufferable chipperness during the first day. But the rollercoaster continues - after a night sleeping in the courtyard hearing the whoops and carry-on of the party-city in the distance, he can barely muster himself to train at all the next day in his melancholy. By the third, he has evened out somewhat - the cool, passionless demeanor settling over him and dulling his sense of urgency, though not his capacity for violence.

He's ready to be done with this sour homecoming, and get back to the road - the bloodthirsty maw of duty that will consume him, body and soul, until nothing is left.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine spots Gimgroth and runs over to give him a hug and shake his and furiously. And then pinches his arm hard. "Are you the real Gimgroth? Or another illusion? I thought you was in Tilea!" Once she's satisfied its the real one she relaxes and beckons him to come over to resume her conversation with Hestram. "There's like, these evil sorcerers who we've been chasing. They killed the dwarves and then, I don't know, raised them or something and made them attack Sir Bertelis and the others. Now they gotta do this stupid trial by combat thing and, I don't know, they're going to chop up the other guys like mincemeat, but that's a huge waste of time and those other guys, so I was hopin' you guys, you know, the dwarven community, would step forward and demand a proper investigation. All official like, and you know, diplomatic. Something that the locals gotta listen to. All I reckon you got to do is, I don't know, call for an official Venerean investigatrix ta take over the case with the backin' of the local community. Someone to conduct the investigation as she sees fit and who won't leap to blame the nearest bunch of armed wanderers..."

Once Hestram names his price, she sighs and says, "I just got here, I got no contacts and don't know the local whosits and can barely speak the language. It ain't gonna be easy, but I can give it the ol' Nulnish try if ya needs. What's the blade look like an' where's it coming from? Who had it last, do ya know?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard pays close attention to what Bertelis wishes to impart, and even closer attention to his diet, sleep and mood. In fact he will go beyond that, consulting an astrologer for extra input and trying to predict how he will be on the day of the fight and how to treat it

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[30] Heal 91
    (1d100)[92] T/Apothecary71

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

Having escaped from the mass-arrest of her comrades by slipping into the darkness, Regine had been keeping a relatively low profile. She had managed to sneak back on board the ship and use area's within it that the less perceptive guards would notice, in order to give her somewhere else to stay, as well as access to her prior clothes. So that was something.

But outside of this small comfort, the thief felt like she owed something to her current companions.

She could, of course, just abandon them. And why not? She'd paid her dues and stuck her neck out on several occasions for them, so why did she owe them anything more?

But...it didn't feel right. As much as the Master Thief wanted to switch on the Callous mode in her brain, the sentimental part of her, buried as it was, drew her back from the precipice of icy eschewment of former comrades and directed her to visit them under house arrest.

Which is where she was now - visiting them.

Dressed well in nice clothes that made her look like a gender-bucking swashbuckler, a dashingly large hat upon her crown, Regine rapped upon the door of her compatriots domicile prison.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno will switch his training to his rapier instead of his regular sword. While the sword hits harder, the rapier is faster and therefore more difficult to dodge. Without a shield, dodging becomes more important and he tends to take advantage of that. He will train with Bertelis and Wighard, while also making sure that he has good food and enough sleep, so he was well rested before the fight.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

In a break from practising their forms, after a small rigmarole of dealing with some assigned men at arms, there comes a knock at the door at the fancifully appointed home. Bertelis, dressed in breezy linens borrowed from the house which are now already speckled what look like the splitting of stitches here and there beneath, attends the sound. He slips the main gauche back into its loop at his waist, opening the door to blink in slow recognition at the jauntified Regine.

"Ah. I wondered when you would turn up."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

They had not known each other long, but their trails had been arduous, to say the least. Thus, when Regine was greeted with Bertelis' image at the door, dressed in slacks and casual wear though she was, the thief took to it as something that was familiar in this new and unknown town.

"Monsieur Bertelis," Regine affirmed, offering a curtsey-bow hybrid befitting her mixed dress and nature.

"I am flattered that you think of me so often!" she spoke playfully.

"You did not think I would, ahem, skip town, so to speak?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard puts down the foil, deciding that he really doesn't like being without the weight and heft of his axe and will probably choose it regardless and picks up some cool white wine

I knew you would show up

With that certainty pondering on the when would have been unproductive
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-10-20 at 03:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno was a bit surprised when Regine arrived. He had indeed thought that she would have skipped town but he was glad she hadn't. Now the only one still missing was their halfling companion.
    "It's good that you can see us," he said, "unfortunately I don't think they will let us out anytime soon, at least not without a fight."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

Assuming they would allow her entrance to their prison-abode, Regine would follow through and stand amidst them. She had not known them long, truth be told, but they had been through a lot in that relatively short amount of time.

"The thought was tempting, I will not lie..." she said, a hint of an impish smirk at the corners of her lips.

"But I am a long way from home, mon ami. What would I do with myself where I not in familiar company?"

She allowed a pause.

"But..." her voice lowering, looking over at the windows as if she believed that agents of the crown were listening in, "...I am here to offer assistance for your situation."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis glanced up to the men-at-arms waiting out by the fence, as Reginé dropped her voice to be certain not to attract their ears. Joined now by his fellow prisoners, he suspects a plan germinating in the thief's mind is likely to involve unchivalrous subtleties... but on such a day, he cannot muster the moral strength to dismiss her offer out of hand, as honor might dictate on a better day.

"What did you have in mind?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

The Master Thief ensured she was beyond the visual or audible inspection of the guards that had been placed outside the house to dissuade any attempt at escape.

"Options are limited, given the precious hold 'chivalry' has over your status," she answered. She knew that for knights their image was everything. They may be slain on the battlefield, but such an act only brought further honor and renown. To be publicly disgraced and proven dishonorable? That was a fate worse than death.

"Liberating you from this house would be an easy affair, followed by a rendezvous at a waiting group of horses to affect an escape from the city. But, where to go from there? Were I on my own I could melt into the populace. But you all? Not so much I think, mon ami. City patrol and bounty hunters will bring you back to public shame, and that is something I do not think your honor can bear, yes?"

The thief pursed her lips and tilted her head, as if she had already meditated on this.

"So, you are entering a competition with Judicial champions: violent men that perform their work for a living. Brave and valorous you may be, but I ask myself: why would I take any risk? This is all public spectacle, the crowd just wants a good show and the authorities the veneer of order. So..." she trailed off, "something could be slipped into the food and water on the day of the trial by combat. Nothing too strong, but enough to slow them down, make them awkward in the pit."
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-10-22 at 08:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Interesting," Bruno said. He didn't really care all that much about chivalry. His adoptive family would, but he was far away and what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them. Besides, making someone drunk or something like that before a combat was not much compared to part of the family being chaos worshippers.
    "How about we just get them drunk," he suggested, "it's not our fault if they drink too much, right."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

We're in Bourdelaux

If we want to throw them off their game we should figure out how to sober them up

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis should be at least secretly offended by Wighard's jape; but he can no more muster civic pride today than he can chivalry.

"Joking aside, Bruno is right. Aside from the dishonor of it all, Bordelans regularly poison themselves with wine for fun. And this duel is set to be a... spectacular event. A three-versus-three duel is no man's idea of clear and god-honoring justice; it's a pit fight." He looks over Regine's somewhat ambiguous disguise, and rubs his beard with his fingertips.

"I would not ask you, or want you, to put yourself in danger trying to disrupt the duel in a criminal way. But... if you go by my uncle Remaund's house in the city - the big one, not this one - you'll find Deanna there; and she can perhaps lend you some attire that a-", he gestures loosely to the theif, "young woman as yourself might wear to such an event, and might cause boastful men to overdrink before an event just to impress her. But this is all somewhat sordid, even if it is less so than poisoning."