New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Tomboys and Troublemakers pt 3

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Jasmine spots Gimgroth and runs over to give him a hug and shake his and furiously. And then pinches his arm hard. "Are you the real Gimgroth? Or another illusion? I thought you was in Tilea!"
    Well met Jasmine Featherblossom this is my adoptive daughter Beatrix. Gimgroth adds quickly slightly embarrassed by the outpouring of emotion from the halfling. The young woman besides him stands astonished that her emotionally, and until recently literally, distant father was embraced so heartedly by another person. Gimgroth served the role of a grim enforcer of boundaries, unfeeling and unrelenting during the caravan journey. Beatrix couldn't help but smile thinking that somewhere out there her father had people who cared for him this much. She stuck out an open palm in greeting to Lady Jasmine. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I can't wait to hear your stories about ... father. The last word added after a brief pause. Are the rest of the company here in Bordeleaux as well Jasmine? Could our luck be so strong? Gimgroth follows the halfling over to the greybeard dwarf named Hestram listening quietly as the tale unfolds.
    "There's like, these evil sorcerers who we've been chasing. They killed the dwarves and then, I don't know, raised them or something and made them attack Sir Bertelis and the others. Now they gotta do this stupid trial by combat thing and, I don't know, they're going to chop up the other guys like mincemeat, but that's a huge waste of time and those other guys, so I was hopin' you guys, you know, the dwarven community, would step forward and demand a proper investigation. All official like, and you know, diplomatic. Something that the locals gotta listen to. All I reckon you got to do is, I don't know, call for an official Venerean investigatrix ta take over the case with the backin' of the local community. Someone to conduct the investigation as she sees fit and who won't leap to blame the nearest bunch of armed wanderers..."
    Well if there's dwarven honor at stake as well as the reputation of the Company of the Slugs mayhaps a dwarf best serve as judicial champion in the contest. I do hope the local rulers respect the Imperial position. I believe Wighard as an Imperial citizen can request an Imperial Judicial Champion to stand in his place for the trial. But I think Hestram here would have a vested interest in discovering who the real perpetrators of murder are and adding the proper names to the grudge book. Gimgroth looks to the older dwarf for his ascent if not his approval.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    Bertelis should be at least secretly offended by Wighard's jape; but he can no more muster civic pride today than he can chivalry.

"Joking aside, Bruno is right. Aside from the dishonor of it all, Bordelans regularly poison themselves with wine for fun. And this duel is set to be a... spectacular event. A three-versus-three duel is no man's idea of clear and god-honoring justice; it's a pit fight." He looks over Regine's somewhat ambiguous disguise, and rubs his beard with his fingertips.

"I would not ask you, or want you, to put yourself in danger trying to disrupt the duel in a criminal way. But... if you go by my uncle Remaund's house in the city - the big one, not this one - you'll find Deanna there; and she can perhaps lend you some attire that a-", he gestures loosely to the theif, "young woman as yourself might wear to such an event, and might cause boastful men to overdrink before an event just to impress her. But this is all somewhat sordid, even if it is less so than poisoning."

The thief would perk a slender eyebrow in an expression that was hard to discern whether she was offended or amused.

"You wish for me to carouse with drunken men and...dress the part?" she allowed the maybe-maybe-not insult linger in the air.

"And to think that I came back to help you, only for you to impress upon me the oldest profession..." she feigned esapseration, both hands up in the air in gesticulation at her dramatic requirement.

A sigh of resignation.

"I will acquire the finest bottle of cognac available and ply them with it. But these vulgar requests of yours, Monsieur Bertelis," she brought up her right hand and drew her index finger back and forth like a pendulum, clucking her tongue in a tsk-tsk-tsk, "non, I will not go that far. A ladies honour denies it" said the Master Thief and gambler.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

alright. let the games begin!

regine, gimme d100 roll to see how sloshed you got in drinking. sir aelfric gets pretty sloshed, and will be at -10 for the duration of the combat

the combateers are rowed out by boat, after two men at arms make sure nothing more than leather armor is taken out, and a grail damsel checks for magic items.

the galleon sits in the water, surrounded by boats which hoot and holler as the combatants are rowed out and placed on the foredeck of the ship. three fighters appear on the other side. one, who bertelis would recognize as sir Aelfric sways vigorously, but seems to have some of his wits about him

the second judicial champion, surprisingly, is an elf. he'll do a small flourish of his blade, and return it to its sheath, preparing to watch over sir aelfric. the elf's face is marked with bright blue paint, and he points at you all and draws a finger across his throat

the third combatant is clad in forge leathers, and flies buzz around him. this combatant is very filthy, and he is standing apart from the rest. a small leather bandolier filled with goodies sits across his chest, and he will be holding a small flask of something in one hand, and a small metal stick in the other

a bell rings from onshore, and the fight is on! lysander will skip ahead, drawing the rapier and smiling gleefully, taking up a choke-point at the stairs coming up to the captains wheel of the ship

sir Aelfric will follow lysander, and grot will set up on the balustrade, preparing something

sir aelfric

lysander the quick

grot the flatulent

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard is very happy to see Gimgroth

So our paths cross again, and I see that you have a kid sidekick too.

This is turning into a regular Liga die Racher*

I hope your axe is still sharp, your arm strong and your aim true for we have need of your expertise

Gimgroth may notice that whilst Wighard is happy he is here, it is the happiness that someone better is here to fight not that he didn't want to. And that while Wighard earlier was unsure of himself, paranoid of unseen machinations and carrying an unhealthy imposter syndrome after his promotion there is little sign of that now, rather someone aware of his power and confident in it.

Of course that might also be that they are a long way for the Empire and he doesn't have to think about Altdorf plots for the moment.

For the trial, Wighard will take his seat, sniff the winds and take an especial interest in Grot

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[61] Magical Sense 87

(1d100)[13] Perception 101/111 Visual

Spoiler: *
    Show
    I have established to my satisfaction that TMNT have an analogue in the Old World, so too must SuperHeroes

Though the X-Manner are mutants and hence the villains, hunted by heroic Witch-hunters and RoadWardens even if they can never quite kill Vielfraß

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

At the house, with Regine...

In other moods, Bertelis might be amusingly easy to rile up with such dainty needling; or at least flushed with cheer enough to enjoy it. As it happens, today is a phlegmatic day; and Regine's artful provocations are blunted on his callous demeanor.

"Well. Alright. So long as there's no poison in that cognac that did not come from the distiller themself. One trial by combat is enough for one homecoming."

A little later...

Jasmine, Gimgroth and Beatrix arrive at the house-arrest-hacienda shortly before the time comes to set off to the trial itself. Bertelis stands back with Bruno while the Wighard and Gimgroth speak - there is something particularly natural and complimentary in the friendship and shared travails of a wizard and warrior, and even Bertelis in his diminished state can respect that. He confers with Jasmine, whom he is glad, but not by now surprised, to see safe.

"I cannot tell, Lady Jasmine, if the gods enjoy you or despise you; or if there is some contest between them on this front. I never know if you are going to be vanish in a fireball, or be clubbed and kidnapped by agents of darkness; or else you turn up with a band of men-at-arms or a very specifically capable dwarf in tow. You do always manage to come through, don't you?"

When Gimgroth moves down the line to reunite with the other slugs, Bertelis gives him a weak but warm smile, and a firm shake of the hand. Bertelis seems to have... roughened since Gimgroth last saw him; his personal grooming is less attentive, and he seems to be perpetually in a state of poor sleep. He's thinner, too; the memory of good noble living retreating from his form as his skin tightens over his face. The scar from the warpstone round that struck him in the head is paler now, but no less obvious, striping from the corner of his eye back past his ear like the tail of a comet.

"It's good to see you, Gimgroth. And especially good to see that you succeeded, and young Beatrix is alright. We could use your help. I trust Wighard will fill you in on our intervening adventures in his customary detail, but for now, the trial by combat comes upon us. It's on a ship. Stipulations are a single, mundane weapon gripped in one hand; and only leather or a gambeson to protect oneself. Battle to submission in teams of three. I am embarassed by this - sometimes my countrymen make a mockery of justice, rather than champion it. I can make no excuse for them. But if you are willing, it will be you, Bruno, and I against the three judicators. After this - ... Well. This first."

At the Trial

The deck of the the Maîtresse de Cérémonie is low, Bertelis thinks, as he looks from the deck to the ships around. They must keep filled her lower decks flooded, or laden with ballast, to make the deck more easilly visible for the ships alongside. Later, he will remember to thank Wighard for the clarity of mind to make such an observation at all. He takes a minute to pray, then produces his main gauche in his off hand, and flexes the grip of gloved free hand.

"A pack of characters to be sure. I do not know what the filthy one has in those pouches, but I suspect it to be unpleasant. Even his companions keep distance. Gimgroth, I must trust you to engage him - whatever he has planned, you are the doughtiest of us, and most capable of overcoming it... and perhaps heaving the villain overboard if the opportunity arises. Bruno, I will engage the elf if you can occupy Aelfric himself. He is drunk; but I know for a fact he has fought orcs and Bilbalians while drunk, and he managed to overcome in those encounters, so do not underestimate him."

"It is customary in a combat like this for each man to pair off against another. This breaks down by the end of the fight, but it reflects poorly on the side that resorts to 'ganging' first. If we can overwhelm them by forcing them to turn to 'ganging', our victory at the other end will be all the more respected. But it is better we pull through barely than not at all - and we must break and support one another if that is what it takes. May the Lady, and Manaan, show favor to us here."

When they turn to face the enemy, Bertelis puffs up his chest, then sighs. Collaborating with his companions has taken all the spare creativity he has. While typically this would be a fine moment for him to practise some dueling drama (though strictly this is a trial by combat and not a duel), he cannot muster it from himself. When the observers ask for a mark of ready, he offers the only line he can muster.

"By the shedding of blood, may the gods make known their will."

Spoiler: OOC: Initiative!
    Show
    Combat's on then. Presumably, Jasmine, Wighard, Regine, Maxime, Beatrix, Siobhan, and perhaps Bully are watching. Next time, we will insist it be a trial by hide and seek, and Jasmine and Regine can whip them up and down.

INITIATIVE:

15 - Bruno
    14 - Bertelis

11 - Lysander
    11 - Grot
    9 - Aelfric

6 - Gimgroth

Gimgroth's initiative pending, but we're looking pretty good for now.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-06 at 02:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine tells Bertelis, "Oh aye, ya gotta be lighter on yer feet sometimes. I'd hoped ta entangle this... nonsense up with some legalistic mumbo-jumbo but either the dwarves don't quite have the pull here or I been conned by some slick-talking longbeard. Hey, that reminds me, Wighard, can I borrow your magic bird for a bit? This dwarf wants us ta hunt for some magic goodies being smuggled through the harbor and I was thinking your bird could sniff them out or something. I reckon whoever is smuggling illegal magic stuff might be in league with those sneaky sorcerers that set us up and murdered those dwarves."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Earlier:

Kwolf is his own bird, you will have to ask him yourself

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Without his shield and heavy armour, Bruno wasn't about to charge in. So he moved a bit away from his companions that in case the smelly fellow wanted to throw something, he couldn't hit all of them at once. He positioned himself close to some ropes he might be able to use to tangle enemy weapons in, or cut to have stuff fall on them. Then he held out his left hand, palm up and made the signal for 'come to me'.

Show

move away from the others, thinking those vials might be some sort of bomb
    parrying stance
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis flips his main gauche in his hand, and edges forward alongside Bruno. The plan to pair off against the enemy is sound enough - but a streak of guilt flashes through him, and in an instant's reflection, he understands why.

His eyes swivel quickly to Gimgroth, once again beside him. When they last fought together, the dwarf gave up his beard to skaven flame-weapons. Bertelis might never understand why something so superficial was so profoundly sacred to a dwarf; but as he considers again what alchemical or fiery nonsense Grot might have in store, he resolves not to require his friend to endanger the few months reparative growth that his chin has gained. The dwarf has earned as much.

"Switch up, Gimgroth - the elf is all yours."

And then he's off, blitzing across the deck in reckless haste to get to grips with the bandolier-bearing miscreant!

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Charging Grot. Attacking with the Main Gauche. If I hit, I'm going to try to disarm him of whatever that metal stick is in his hand.

vs71 - (1d100)[78] to hit. Since he's not wielding an actual weapon (I think?) he's unlikely to have a parry available at all.

Presuming that hits, it's an opposed agility test. We repeat until one or both of us succeeds and defeats the other by a margin. If we both fail, we both reroll.

1. vs52 - (1d100)[75]
    2. vs52 - (1d100)[78]
    3. vs52 - (1d100)[65]
    4. vs52 - (1d100)[30]
    5. vs52 - (1d100)[24].

Edit: Whiff!

Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-06 at 02:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

grot will not bother to dodge the clumsy disarm, and casually throws a handful of black coarse powder into your face. can you gimme a toughness test at -20? on a success youll spend the next round stunned sneezing your brains out, as that was concentrated black pepper. on a failure, make it three rounds and a -10 to visual acuity as the pepper has gotten in your eyeballs.

bruno: lysander will grin, and make a come hither motion to you. both of them go back to back, and let you come to them

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine shakes her head and mutters, "Right. He's his own bird. And not, like, your pet. I'll talk to 'him'."

Shortly before the duel, she buys a bag of roasted nuts from a vendor and tracks down Kwolf. She lays out a few of the nuts in front of her for him to eat and tells it, "So how much you wanna bet some of our enemies are gonna be spyin' on the duel? Some of those sneaky sorcerers, or maybe their servants? Your boss is too busy ta ask you, but I want ya to keep an eye on the crowd and try and sniff out any magic if ya can. If ya see someone tryin' ta curse our boys, I dunno, fly over them or **** on them or summat so I can figure out how ta stop them. And if nothin' happens, well, I guess ya can have the eyes of the losers or whatever for dessert."

On the day of the duel, she doesn't have much interest in watching the fight itself and spends most of the lead up to the duel carefully watching the crowd to see if anyone is preparing to interfere with the duel, and keeping an eye out for the bird, to see if it will do what she had asked. She also brings a few of the orphans with her and sets them to watch as well. With strict orders not to get into too much trouble unless trouble finds them.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[57] v. 66 perception to look for trouble in the crowd or for anyone who might be trying to interfere.
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-11-10 at 12:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth feels near naked without his mail armor and shield. The dwarf surveyed the arena of the trial and identified Grot as a priority threat. He then heard Bertelis call out for him to target the elf. Far be for a dawi to object to the chance to putting a hurting on leafkisser. Gimgroth rushed at the elf with a borrowed handaxe from Wighard. His own weapons being to magical for the stipulations of this trial combat. AttackVs87 - (1d100)[52] Damage - (1d10+6)[16] or Impact - (1d10+6)[11] Gimgroth saw the elf's weapon in his right hand and decided that he would try to dis-arm him. Isn't that what Bertelis suggested? Seems like a good strategic plan.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

The knavery of the fat man knows no bounds, and black powder splashes across Bertelis' face. He reels and sneezes, slashing back and forth with his weapon as he palms at his eyes.

He is going to set me on fire. He is going to try to set my face on fire, now.

Bertelis has a brief recollection of Bruno's horrified scream when the spirit on the island set his countenance ablaze - only Wighard's magical and professional gifting had prevented that from being truly disfiguring. The Bordelan could not bear the thought himself. He forced himself to look through watering eyes.

"You wretched blot. This is how you conduct a trial? Pray thanks that I am bound to higher conduct than you!"

Barely able to see, he strikes out all the same...

Show
    Well, being blind will knock 20 off my WS, but I might as well swing. Parry stance, standard attack.

vs41 - (1d100)[26] for (1d10+3)[12].

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As Grimgoth charged in, Bruno closely followed. As the Elf blocked the dwarf's heavy hit (and Bruno was surprised he managed to do so), Bruno came towards the sir Aelfric, but as he stabbed at that man, he tried to hit the elf instead of him, using he speed of his rapier.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

half-action: move in
    half action: feint vs elf (I guess): (1d100)[85] vs 56 (opposed WS with the elf)
    extra half action with FP: attack: (1d100)[33] vs 56 for damage: (1d10+3)[4]

If I win the feint, the attack can't be dodged or parried
    If I don't, then the attack can be dodged (not parried, as he already used his parry) but at a -10% (as a rapier is a fast weapon).

wounds: 15/15
    FP: 4/5

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth: lysander will take a narrrow slash across his duelling leathers, and snarl ferally. he seems to be empowered by the pain, and will make two attacks on gimgroth, leaving aelfric to deal with you

(2d100)[12][50](62) both hit

(1d10+6)[15]
    (1d10+6)[7]

(1d100)[68] fail

bruno: sir aelfric will let out a thunderous belch, and make a swing and a parrying stance at bruno

(1d100)[78] miss

(1d10+4)[6]

(1d100)[54] fail

bertelis: grot barely dodges the sword strike, and will depress the metal stick in his hand. there is a small fwoosh sound, and you feel the left side of your face blister and begin to burn. whatever the stick does, its nasty

(1d10)[6] take 6 wounds, and be on fire
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2023-11-14 at 12:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Seeing that his opponent was quite careful, Bruno decided to be bold and trust on his ability to dodge instead of parry. Also his weapon wasn't the best to parry with in any case. Ignoring the stench of the belch, he tried to take the guy down as quickly as possible.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

full attack:
    attack 1: (1d100)[91] vs 56 for damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    attack 2: (1d100)[12] vs 56 for damage: (1d10+3)[8]

parry at -10% due to fast weapon
    Last edited by farothel; 2023-11-14 at 08:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The elf managed to parry Gimgroth's charge and inflict a serious wound to the dwarf's arm. Gimgroth grunted unwilling to give the Elf the satisfaction of a cry of pain. The dwarf summoned his strength and though the forms changed without his shield Gimgroth went through a series of blows practiced countless times every morning over decades of martial training.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Well the elf doesn't have a parry anymore because he swift attacked. So here goes a swift attack action rebuttal.
    Attack1Vs82 - (1d100)[76]Damage - (1d10+6)[16]Impact - (1d10+6)[15]
    Attack2Vs82 - (1d100)[12]Damage - (1d10+6)[16]Impact - (1d10+6)[15]
    Attack3Vs82 - (1d100)[16]Damage - (1d10+6)[12]Impact - (1d10+6)[12]

this roll is for either fury confirmation or if none needed than a FP for a miss. If all hit and no furies than ignore it.
    FuryorFPvs82 - (1d100)[40]
    FuryDamage - (1d10)[9]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

He is going to set my face on fire.

In once sense, this vindication is validating because the flames that consume one side of the stubble on his jaw in a flash are not Gimgroth's whiskers. Later, he will thank the Lady for her providential insight at the last moment.

But right now, he is being set on fire; even if just barely, and reeling away from the ignition and swatting at himself with his good hand, he does his best to pat out the flames before they can do him harm...

Show
    Extinguishing flame!

vs52Agi - (1d100)[13]. This is pretty important, so if necessary, I'll spend my next (last) FP to resolve it. vs52Agi - (1d100)[93].

...and with a moment's frantic effort, before Grot can exploit it, he is no worse for wear - if unevenly flame-shaven.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-14 at 10:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Jasmine shakes her head and mutters, "Right. He's his own bird. And not, like, your pet. I'll talk to 'him'."

Shortly before the duel, she buys a bag of roasted nuts from a vendor and tracks down Kwolf. She lays out a few of the nuts in front of her for him to eat and tells it, "So how much you wanna bet some of our enemies are gonna be spyin' on the duel? Some of those sneaky sorcerers, or maybe their servants? Your boss is too busy ta ask you, but I want ya to keep an eye on the crowd and try and sniff out any magic if ya can. If ya see someone tryin' ta curse our boys, I dunno, fly over them or **** on them or summat so I can figure out how ta stop them. And if nothin' happens, well, I guess ya can have the eyes of the losers or whatever for dessert."
    Kwolf tilts his head sideways and looks at Jasmine with the thin hint of a smile

How about you eat some too?

Assuming she does

This offering is sufficient. For future reference I prefer egg and sausage. You have at least until I finish these before I stop listening

He gulps one down his throat whole

He's not my boss, and he is not "too busy to ask me", he respects me as a partner.

If you want to patronise someone, try the wolves. They are a bit thick still, so not only will they not realise they will kind of deserve it.

Your proposal is acceptable, is there anything else?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2023-11-14 at 03:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis snatches a handful of grot's filthy leathers beneath his chin, and reverses the grip on his main gauche - but then the adjudicating damsel calls a halt, and just like that it's over. Looking back across the deck, he is gratified to see his companions in fine shape. After a short exchange, Aelfric is bleeding and Lysander is down and badly wounded. The drunken knight must have given his signal of submission; perhaps to spare himself shame, perhaps to spare his elven companion. Grot wrenches out of his grip in the pause, and he gives the man no more thought - if he focuses on him, he may well last out, and invalidate the verdict.

"Thus, the gods have made known their will!" he calls, dovetailing the end of the trial with his stentorian conclusion. "Let it be understood that the Company of the Burning Slug attended the powder house out of a good faith desire to save it from sabotage. Would that it could have been - but the good dwarves found there were killed by the saboteurs who proceeded us. Be wary of any who claim shameful or criminal actions of this party - they are trying to deceive you."

This is a half truth in the case of Jasmine and Regine, but it was true enough. He dusts at his scorched stubble with his knuckles, regroups with Gimgroth and Bruno, and then the whole company.

"Painless all things considered. Not defeated, but reunited with an old friend - come now. I've made reservations at Gunther's Pork Knuckle. We leave for Mousillon tomorrow; for now, let us celebrate... within the strained borders of abstemious taste."

Show
    Halfling-quality dining for the victors and shame for the losers. Bertelis feels a need to show something like hospitality to his friends, who have had such a wealth of bad experiences in his homeland.

It'll also provide some time for Jasmine's pact with Kwolf to go into effect, and maybe get some intel about that ship with the sword the dwarf wants.

Perhaps an opportunity for a little Kwolf/Jasmine/Regine side quest heist, given that we just had a Bruno/Gimgroth/Bertelis duel?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard is out of his seat the minute the Damsel unexpectedly calls the fight, glad that this has not been to the death.

His companions are still standing, so he heads towards the stricken elf, Lie still, let me look

Show

(1d100)[31] Heal 91
    (1d10)[6] Heal

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth smiles as the elf submits after his first blow checking another deadly strikes mere inches from impact. As the trial is declared decided in favor of the Company Gimgroth searches for his companions offer each a smile. He then looks to his own wound, a deep cut in his blade arm. Wighard approaches and sees to the elf's more serious wound. Gimgroth chuckles as he states
    Same as always Wighard. I bleed 'em, you leech 'em. Good to be among your company again. I have a scratch for you to look at after you've finished with Lysander there.
    Gimgroth then scans the crowd for his charge Beatrix. She is still up in the stands talking excited to another young woman seated near her. She offers a wave and a thankful smile that this was the outcome of the trial by combat.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine crunches a few of the nuts companionably with the bird and responds, "Yeah, I'd ask the wolves ta help out too but for some reason the locals don't like them wanderin' the streets. And then... can you, I don't know, 'sniff out' the smell of magic like it were the scent of a decayin' corpse? I want to try ta back-track them bastards that set us up and maybe they left some, I don't know, trail of magic lingerin' in the air."

After the fight is quickly over, she is relieved to see that nobody had tried to interfere from the crowds and her vigilance had not been entirely necessary. But still, the time you don't look is the time it happens. She makes her way to the victorious fighters and says, "Well-spoken, Bertelis. Let's get out of this damned city and to an even more damned city as soon as possible. That dwarf I talked to was as useless as tits on a boar hog, I tell you what."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The fight was over quickly, probably because Grimgoth almost ripped the elf's arm off. Bruno held onto his weapon for now, but lowered it so he wasn't actively threatening people at the moment. At least he hadn't made a complete fool of himself, but he still preferred to solve things with diplomacy.

"Good idea, sir Bertelis," he said when the Bretonnian decided to head to a good restaurant. He could do with some good food before they would move on.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Regine Lacroix

Her devious strategy employed earlier with some fancy clothes and a bottle of fine cognac, Regine had sat in the stands and watched the affair unfold. Like a teenager watching an extravagant spectacle, she cupped her hands over her mouth, "Oohhhh!"ed along with the crowd and cover her eyes while still grinning and laughing at the violence that unfolded. But what was most surprising was how quickly it was all over, and when her companions stood victorious in the field with Bertelis' loud proclamation, Regine beamed happily an waved her arms in the air as if she was merely an impartial spectator out for a good show.

Drawing her dress up enough so that she could walk down the steps of the bleachers and towards the arena, Regine's demeanor became more amused, but thankful for the outcome.

"Well done all - and here I had ten crowns on the other team!" she joked with a festive grin.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Later

Gunther's Pork Knuckle is an Imperial style bistro in Bordeleaux harbour, which means a few things.

One: unlike almost everywhere else in the city, this place spells like stale beer instead of stale wine.

Two: It is probably the first place any of the Imperials in the party will have been able to get a decent sausage since Helmgart. The halfling proprietor, Gunther, pays a premium and charges a premium to have the sausages shipped in (those that he doesn't make himself), but they are the authentic article. Ahlewurst, Bierwurst, Kemperbadwurst, Weisswurst, Todwurst - it's all there. Along with universal favorites - a conventional carvery does good trade within, and it would hardly be Bretonnian without bakers sticking their nose in.

"I had almost forgotten how much you Sigmarites like grinding your meat into paste before cooking it," Bertelis says as he inspects a Bratwurst on his fork. "Charity, I think, for the toothless beggar class that crops up around the cities. Thoughtful, even."

Show
    Some good old fashion Old World racism sounds like a spot of fun for the feast celebration. I've teed it up. Obviously, you know.. boundaries of good taste.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-16 at 05:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

How many reservations did you make and are we taking guests?

Wighard eyes the presiding damsel and their erstwhile opponents, trying to figure out Bertelis' mind on this.

He'd like to play nice, make up and he and Gimgroth are professionals with a "its you or me but no hard feelings" attitude. Bertelis on the other hand fights for honour and therefore does not tend to regard his opponents as worthy.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Earlier

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    How many reservations did you make and are we taking guests?
    "I am certain they can accommodate more business, if you made a friend - even with the unexpected Gimgroth and Beatrice."
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-11-16 at 05:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Would you care to join us?

he looks at the Damsel and the defeated champions, even Grot

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrAbdiel View Post
    "I had almost forgotten how much you Sigmarites like grinding your meat into paste before cooking it," Bertelis says as he inspects a Bratwurst on his fork. "Charity, I think, for the toothless beggar class that crops up around the cities. Thoughtful, even."
    "Makes it easier to mix meats if you want to," Bruno said with a smile, "if you like beef and venison for instance, you can mix them both in one saugage."
    He was glad to have something from home. While he didn't have a problem with Bretonnian cuisine, at times one liked to have something from home.